Page 1

Education Frequently Asked Questions > Q. I have a bachelor's degree but not in the field of education. Can I earn my Teacher's Certification? A. For initial certification at Marygrove, all elementary teachers are required to have a major in a discipline appropriate for teaching. All secondary teachers must have both a major and a minor in a teaching field. Each teacher preparation college is approved to certify teachers in specific disciplines. If you do not have a major and/or minor in a teaching area, you would need to complete the courses needed for that purpose. Apply to the certification program that interests you, in order to have a plan of work completed. > Q. I am already teaching as an uncertified teacher in a private or charter school. Can I earn my teaching certificate without giving up my position? A. Once you have completed a "certifiable major" for elementary or a "certifiable major and minor" for secondary level and you have the bachelors degree completed with a 2.7 or better GPA, you can begin taking the education sequence of courses while you are teaching; you will attend late afternoon/early evening, or weekend courses. When the time comes, if your school and position are approved for student teaching, you may be able to complete student teaching in an "on-the-job" arrangement. > Q. How can I complete my courses for certification if I am working in the daytime? A. Marygrove College offers teacher certification courses in the evenings and on weekends, in different program configurations. In general, these courses are provided to "cohort" groups. Once you begin the sequence with your cohort group, it is essential that you stay on track with that cohort group in order to be assured that the classes will be available when you need them. > Q. How long will it take for me to earn my teaching certificate? A. After meeting the entrance requirements for a graduate program, you must complete six-toseven semesters of professional teaching courses to complete both initial certification and the master's degree. Undergraduate/Post-degree students complete the requirements for a degree and/or certification based on the number of courses taken each semester. The professional teaching sequence does not include the time it may take to complete pre-requisites. > Q. I am already a certified teacher and I want to earn a master's degree. How long will this take me? A. The most popular program for certified teachers at Marygrove is the Master in the Art of Teaching (MAT) program. Students can complete this 30-credit program with a Study Team in five semesters. This program is available in a distance-learning format and in a weekend cohort group format on-site at six different locations in Michigan. Either mode of delivery will be a five-semester program. A master's degree is also offered in Educational Leadership and Reading. These two masters' level programs usually take a minimum of six semesters.

> Q. Do I need to take the GRE or another exam before I can be accepted into a graduate level program at Marygrove? A. The GRE is not required at Marygrove. However, for teacher certification candidates the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification [MTTC] must be passed. All students entering a teacher certification program are required to take the MTTC Basic Skills test and pass all three areas of Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. This test must be passed within the first two semesters or the student is required to sit out until it is passed. Before student teaching, elementary candidates must pass the MTTC Elementary Education test and the MTTC test in their major. Secondary candidates must pass the MTTC in both the major and minor before they are permitted to student teach. Additional information is available at > Q. What is the difference between the Master of Education degree and the Master in the Art of Teaching degree? A. The Master in the Art of Teaching degree is a degree for candidates who are already certified and are practicing teachers. These courses prepare the teacher to become a master teacher going beyond the expectations that are normally held for teachers at a bachelor's level. The Master in Education degree is offered to candidates who will earn certification at the graduate level or for candidates who are earning a master's degree in a particular area of education, such as Educational Leadership or Reading. > Q. What is the employment rate of Marygrove Education graduates? A. Because the Master in the Art of Teaching candidates must be certified and practicing teachers to enter the program, they are already employed as teachers before they come to Marygrove. Generally, the candidates who earn the master's degree for reading or educational leadership are similarly employed teachers when they begin. Graduate students and Undergraduate/PostDegree certification candidates frequently are employed as "emergency substitutes" or as "uncertified teachers" during the program. In most cases they merely move to regular contract status upon earning the degree or certification. > Q. Is there any type of placement office at Marygrove to help me find employment once I am certified? A. The office of Academic Advising and Career Services, under the direction is located on the third floor of the Madame Cadillac Building at the north end of the building. Further information about that office is available at Most teacher candidates will find employment through their student teaching assignments. Dr. Victoria Rybicki, Director of Student Teaching, receives notices of job postings from local area schools and generally posts these outside of her office on the second floor of Madame Cadillac. > Q. Does Marygrove offer any distance learning courses in addition to the Master in the Art of Teaching program? A. Marygrove offers other opportunities for distance learning and various regional on-site courses, as well. Through Marygrove's Professional Development office and in a partnership with Canter and Associates, courses are offered in graduate level teacher education through distance learning. These courses earn graduate credit and are normally taken by certified

teachers. For a brochure listing the course offerings call 1-800-669-9011 or go to Marygrove also provides many graduate level education courses at sites all around the state of Michigan, which are taught on weekends. These courses are offered through Marygrove's Professional Development office in partnership with Performance Learning Systems. Information is available from the Continuing Education office at 313-927-1276 or at > Q. Do the professors in the Education Department have experience working in K-12 schools? A. Many of the professors in Marygrove's Education Unit transitioned to higher education from a career in K-12 public education. Also, some of the courses are taught by adjunct faculty members who are currently working full-time in K-12 public school settings. A balance is maintained between the instructors who are deeply rooted in the theoretical base necessary for building strong foundations for teacher preparation and those who have the actual classroom experiences that inform the theory with practice for application. > Q. Whom would I contact about scholarships or financial aid? A. Information on financial aid is available on our Marygrove Web site - Candidates begin by obtaining the Federal Aid form and completing this over the Internet. Initially candidates also complete information specific to Marygrove. Successful candidates follow through on their applications leaving nothing to chance. Planning ahead is essential for candidates who must depend on financial aid. Undergraduate students generally have more options for financial aid than graduate level students. For eligible candidates who are full-time employees of Catholic schools there are other opportunities for help through the office of the education unit. Call 313-927-1459 for a Catholic School Scholarship application. The Michigan Tuition Grant, Sanford Loans, and Perkins Loans tend to be the sources most students investigate. > Q. How can I ensure that all of my teaching certification requirements are met? A. At Marygrove every student in teacher certification, both undergraduate and graduate, will have an advisor. The advisor will work closely with the director of student teaching and with the teacher certification officer to check that each candidate is meeting the requirements for the major, minor, MTTC tests, student teaching mandates, and course requirements. It is, nonetheless, the responsibility of each candidate to meet with the assigned advisor to review his or her own file for completion. Posted deadline dates for applying for student teaching, for taking MTTC examinations, and for applying for graduation audit must be met in order that the candidate achieve his/her goal. > Q. Do I have to have a certain GPA to enter the education programs at Marygrove? A. At the undergraduate level, all teacher certification candidates must maintain a GPA of 2.7 in order to enter the Education Unit as a teacher certification candidate. No methods courses may be taken until the student has applied to the unit and been interviewed and approved by the unit. The 2.7 must be met in order to receive this interview.

At the graduate level: • • •

Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA for "full acceptance." Candidates who meet all of the major and minor requirements and who pass the MTTC Basic Skills exam may begin the program with a probationary status if their GPA is between 2.5 and 2.9. Applicants below a 2.5 are not generally accepted. A person with a GPA below 2.5 is required to complete all of the work on the major and minor, pass the MTTC Basic Skills exam, and take a minimum of three upper level or graduate level courses to demonstrate that he or she can earn at least a 3.0 in each of those courses to be considered.

> Q. What is the average size of a class in the Education Unit? A. Generally, undergraduate or post-degree classes in education do not exceed 10-12 students. The cohort groups in the graduate programs average 24 students. When the cohort breaks out for separate elementary certification courses from the secondary certification courses, the class size is approximately10-12, as well. > Q. I have heard that Marygrove students are required to do a service-learning project. Please explain. A. The Service Learning Program at Marygrove is curricular and co-curricular in nature and provides an opportunity for students to crystallize their learning experiences while living out the college's mission and commitment to social justice. Through the curricular servicelearning component, students are required to complete a maximum of 15 hours of service at a pre-selected community agency site while fulfilling the objectives of that course. Students actively reflect on these learnings, and participate in a Service Learning Program event, held annually.