AUBURN HEIGHTS Invitational
Presented by Camp Wilcox Group of Wells Fargo Advisors
2013 Marshall Steam Museum, Yorklyn, Delaware
A UBURN H EIGHTS Invitational
Welcome │ Thomas C. Marshall Jr.
The Z. Taylor Vinson Transportation Collection │ Kenton Jaehnig
Fashion, Cars and Advertising │ Blaire O. Gagnon, Ph.D.
Packard Motor Cars: “Ask the Man Who Owns One”
Packards 1901 Packard Model C Runabout │ John H. Hovey 1910 Packard Model 30 Close-Coupled Touring│ Howard & Gail Schaevitz 1917 Packard Twin Six 7-Passenger Touring│ Howard & Gail Schaevitz 1929 Packard Model 626 Sedan│ Andrew M. Taylor 1930 Packard Model 740 Custom Roadster │ Seth Pancoast 1937 Packard Model 1508 Sedan │ Marshall Steam Museum
Historic Automobile Display 1905 REO Model B Runabout │ Lammot Copeland Jr. 1907 American Underslung Roadster │ The Van Horneff Collection 1907 Mercedes Landaulet │ Victor G. Plumbo 1909 Mercedes Speedster │ Joseph B. Van Sciver III 1909 White Model O Touring│ Carl D. Gates 1910 REO Model R5 5-Passenger Touring │ Lee & Helen Turner 1910 Thomas Flyer Model M Touring │ Frederick H. Hoch 1913 Buick Model 25 Touring │ Michael J. Jones Sr. 1913 Stanley Model 78 Roadster │ Marshall Steam Museum 1914 Pierce-Arrow Model 38 Touring │ Bob & Louise Nunnink 1914 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Alpine Touring │ Tom & Mary Jo Heckman 1918 Cadillac Type 57 7-Passenger Touring │ Irénée du Pont Jr. 1927 Pierce-Arrow Model 80 Sedan │ Jonathan & Nancy Griggs 1930 Cord L-29 Cabriolet │ Thomas Lee 1931 Cadillac V-16 Cabriolet │ Charlie & Cheryl Eggert
All Aboard: Inspiring New Generations at Marshall Steam Museum
The Joseph Boxler Education Fund
Save the Date: 2014 Auburn Heights Invitational
2 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
Welcome We wish you a warm welcome to Auburn Heights for our second annual invitational historic automobile display. We thank you for supporting this yearâ€™s special fundraising event and hope you enjoy the spotlight on the Packard Motor Car Company, our featured marque of 2013. Our focus on Packards is especially fitting since there have been more new Packards at Auburn Heights over the years than any other make. From the time my father bought his first Packard Twin Six in 1916 until his last Packard in 1956, they were preferred and numerous. My first car was a 1940 Packard 110 sixcylinder touring sedan. This year, we present six historic Packards from 1901 to 1937, when the marque reigned as one of Americaâ€™s premier luxury cars, alongside more than a dozen other outstanding examples of pre-World War II automobiles. Our invitational show would not be possible without the generosity of the owners in lending to us these very special cars, for which we are deeply indebted. Also, we thank the loyal vendors, sponsors and advertisers whose contributions make the ongoing work of the Marshall Steam Museum possible. The generosity of donors to our Silent Auction is also very important to us, as are the volunteers who devote countless hours to making this and every event at Auburn Heights memorable for our enthusiastic visitors. Automobiles have been a part of Auburn Heights since 1904, when my father built his first little steam car using an Orient Buckboard chassis. The longstanding tradition of maintaining and operating automobiles continues today with the work of volunteers known as the Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve, who restore, maintain, and operate the Marshall Steam Museum collection. I hope you will enjoy the day and will come back to visit us often.
Thomas C. Marshall Jr. Founding Director, Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 3
Specializing in Low-Mileage Original Antique and Collector Automobiles Whether you are in the market to purchase or sell a collector car, the professionals at Mid-Atlantic are your best choice in the antique/collector car field 400 Line Road Kennett Square, PAď ź610-268-5748
4 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
The Z. Taylor Vinson Transportation Collection By Kenton Jaehnig
ollecting has long been a popular hobby and pastime. The list of items that people collect is endless, and some collectors spend a lifetime building extensive collections of objects that fascinate them. In 2010, the Hagley Museum and Library, located in Wilmington, Delaware, became the recipient of a large collection that is best described as a historical treasure. The collection is none other than the Z. Taylor Vinson Transportation Collection,
one of the most comprehensive and significant transportation collections in existence today. This extraordinary collection was assembled by Z. Taylor Vinson, an attorney and a lifelong automobile enthusiast. Born in Martinsburg, West Virginia, on July 7, 1933, Vinson graduated from Princeton University in 1955 and earned his law degree from the University of Virginia in 1961. After practicing law for Oâ€™Melveny & Myers in
Kenton Jaehnig is Project Archivist for the Z. Taylor Vinson Collection at Hagley Museum and Library. Above: Trade catalog image of a 1928 Pierce-Arrow Series 80. All photos courtesy Hagley Museum & Library. A 1927 Pierce-Arrow Model 80 (owned and presented by Jonathan Griggs) is featured on page 36 of this catalog.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 5
“For me, the first appeal was to the imagination … I could fantasize myself behind the wheel of a convertible or in the back seat of a chauffeured limousine.” — Z. Taylor Vinson
Above: Z. Taylor Vinson in his “Autotorium,” built to store his massive collection of transportation memorabilia, which encompasses trade catalogs, press kits, photographs, more than 900 books, and periodicals, as well as three-dimensional objects, such as model cars. Below: Ford Motor Company reached out to veterans of World War II with targeted brochures.
Los Angeles and for the International Finance Corporation in Washington, D.C., he joined the newly formed U.S. Department of Transportation in 1967. He remained a senior attorney for the department’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration until his retirement in 2003. Vinson played an instrumental role in the drafting of federal safety regulations that took effect with the 1986 model year, requiring the installation of high-mounted brake lights in the rear windshield of automobiles. Near the end of his career, he was involved in drafting new federal safety regulations regarding tires. Vinson started collecting automobile
literature at a very young age. In his autobiographical manuscript “A Collector’s Life,” he stated that he received his first piece of automobile literature, a 1938 Ford trade catalog, when he was 4½ years old. By the age of 7½, Vinson was collecting in a more proactive manner by having his parents take him to Huntington’s “Automobile Row,” where he gathered automobile literature from the dealerships located there. As he got older, he obtained automobile literature from many other sources, including, but not limited to, automobile manufacturers, fellow collectors, memorabilia dealers, auto shows and auctions. Why did Mr. Vinson spend a lifetime collecting automobile literature? In his autobiography, Vinson summed up his reasons for collecting and how they developed over the course of his life: Automobile sales literature can be appreciated on a number of levels. For me, the first appeal was to the imagination: at an age in the single digits I could fantasize myself behind the wheel of a convertible or in the back seat of a chauffeured limousine. Later, when I started to save literature instead of cutting them up, the thrill was in the accumulation. Over time, more subtle reasons emerged: the beauty of the items as examples of the printer’s art, the recordation of advancing technology, the depiction of the changing attitude of society toward women and blacks, the variations in the appeal to the prospective purchaser caused by good or bad economic times. Armed with such a multifaceted love and
6 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
Trade catalog image of a 1930 Cadillac V-16. A 1931 Cadillac V-16 Cabriolet, body by Fleetwood (owned and presented by Charlie & Cheryl Eggert), is featured on page 38 of this catalog.
understanding of automobile literature, Vinson went on to enjoy a collecting career that lasted 60 years, and accumulated an astounding amount of material in the process. Eventually, his collection became so large that he built a climate-controlled addition to his home in Alexandria, Virginia. He called it his “Autotorium.” Z. Taylor Vinson passed away on October 25, 2009, and his family deeded his extraordinary collection to Hagley in January 2010. The Z. Taylor Vinson Transportation
Collection is very large, containing more than 700 cubic feet of materials. Dating from 1893 to 2010, the collection’s focus is mainly on automobiles and is international in scope. Over 1,900 automakers from all over the world, large and small, well-known and obscure, are represented in the collection, including such present-day companies as Cadillac, Mercedes-Benz, and RollsRoyce and defunct concerns, such as Cord, Packard, REO and Stanley. The collection’s contents consist mainly of printed materials Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 7
Above: Trade catalog for the Packard Straight 8 Speedster, ca. 1929–1930. A 1930 Packard Model 740 Custom Roadster (owned and presented by Seth Pancoast) is featured on page 21 of this catalog.
published and distributed by the automobile companies, including trade catalogs, general publications, press kits, dealer advertisements and accessories catalogs. Numerous other material formats pertaining to automobiles, including paint and upholstery samples, photographs, books, serials, clippings and artifacts, are found as well. As he developed his collection of automobile literature, Vinson focused on a number of collecting priorities. His first
priority was trade catalogs for contemporary makes sold in the United States from 1941 onward. Beginning in 1947, while attending boarding school, Vinson established a second priority of collecting trade catalogs for contemporary European makes from 1947 onwards. In 1971, after becoming aware of a number of American automobile manufacturers that he had never heard of, he started focusing on U.S. makes from 1933 to 1942. Later in his collecting career, Vinson became very interested in French and German automobile publications. He was also fascinated by materials published by Czech automakers. Trade catalogs published by Durant Motor Company and U.S. Motor Company were of interest to Vinson as well. Not only is the Z. Taylor Vinson Collection large and varied, it is also of extraordinary depth. The collection’s contents provide an unusually comprehensive documentation of the world automobile industry. By studying the collection’s materials, research-
674 Boxes ...
rocessing the 700-cubic-foot Vinson Collection (which arrived in approximately 674 boxes) began in March 2011. Today, the Hagley Museum and Library maintains two web-based resources for the collection: The Z. Taylor Vinson Transportation Collection Blog and the Z. Taylor Vinson Transportation Collection Digital Archive. Published weekly, the blog spotlights individual items and reports on the latest developments with the collection. The Digital Archives contains digital images of more than 700 items preserved in the collection. Links to both can be found on the Hagley website (www.hagley.org). Visit Hagley online to stay tuned for the latest developments, and we look forward to seeing you when the collection opens in early 2014. 8 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
ers can learn much about many facets of the automobile industry’s history and development, including the design, construction and marketing of motor vehicles. The collection also presents a unique opportunity to learn much about the automobile’s social, economic and cultural impact. Although the collection consists mainly of automobile literature, it does not lack for other fascinating materials, most of which pertain to transportation. Of particular interest are Vinson’s manuscript files, which document his career with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and his contributions to automobile safety in the United States. The collection also holds a small amount of material pertaining to other forms of transportation, including buses, railroads, ships, spacecraft, airships, airlines and airplanes. A very small amount of material pertaining to non-transportation subjects, including items documenting Z. Taylor Vinson’s life, are found as well.
We at Hagley are presently in the process of making the Z. Taylor Vinson Transportation Collection available and usable to researchers, a project funded by a grant from the Council on Library and Information Resources through their Cataloging Hidden Special Collection and Archives Program. At the present time, the collection is officially closed and will be opened to researchers in early 2014, but attendees of the 2013 Auburn Heights Invitational enjoy a sneak peak at a sampling of items from the collection.
Trade catalog for the 1912 American Underslung. A 1907 American Underslung (owned and presented by the Van Horneff Collection), is featured on page 25 of this catalog.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 9
& Advertising By Blaire O. Gagnon, Ph.D.
Blaire O. Gagnon, Ph.D. is Assistant Professor in the University of Rhode Island’s Department of Textiles, Fashion Merchandising and Design. Above: Alice Ramsey alongside her automobile, ca. 1908. Photo courtesy Grantham Bain Collection, Library of Congress.
n her memoir of the first-ever all-female transcontinental automobile adventure in 1909, Alice Ramsey recalled one of her most important concerns — what to wear! As Alice and her companions (her sisters-in-law Maggie and Nettie) considered the matter, Alice remarked, “We won’t be able to carry much luggage will we? And how will we dress for it?” She described Maggie and Net-
10 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
tie, as “well-groomed and dressed in the daintiest of French-heel footgear [and] conservative and reserved to the nth degree.” Alice worried, “Could such dressy and fastidious women manage with little in the way of fancy clothes for so long a period?” Today, the relationship between dress and transportation (automobiles, in particular) is often overlooked because both have become
staples of everyday existence. However, from the dawn of the automotive age to today, cars and fashion — two forms of material culture — have signified gender and social status. Research into the connections between automobiles and women’s fashion, as shown in advertisements from the first half of the 20th century, provides compelling insight into the relevance of the past to the present. In the spring of 2013, eight graduate students from the Textiles, Fashion Merchandising and Design Department at the University of Rhode Island took my course titled “Cultural Aspects of Dress.” In it, they examined the relationships among fashion, cars and advertisements as windows into the culture of the period 1900–1950. Their assignment grew out of conversations with my daughter, Jesse Gagnon, the Marshall Steam Museum’s Director of Education, regarding a scarcity of research into the connections between fashion and the automobile. This mother-daughter discussion evolved into a multidimensional project that engaged students, faculty, museum visitors and professionals, car and sewing enthusiasts, and three very different collections. I’m pleased to share here a small sampling of the findings that resulted from this creative inquiry.
control; (2) Fashion Merchandising entails the study of retailing and consumer behavior; and (3) Historic Costumes and Textiles involves development of curatorial, conservation and research skills. The majority of our graduate students choose the Historic and Fashion Merchandising tracks. Students have access to the department’s 20,000-piece Historic Textile and Costume Collection and the university library’s Commercial Pattern Archive, both of which were used in this collaboration. In my spring course, I offered two research options, but the entire class selected the “Fashion, Cars and Advertising” project in which students were directed to explore cars in fashion ads or fashion in car ads. The choice was theirs, but they had to focus on the period 1900–1950. Within this framework, students chose a cultural issue to investigate and selected which advertising resources to use. A popular choice was the online Vogue Archive, which contains every page of the famed magazine from 1892 to the present. Other primary resources included Ladies Home Journal, Vanity Fair, and Classic Cars Today Online. Christine Callaghan’s study began in
Below: Rolls-Royce advertisement, Vogue magazine, September 14, 1929. A 1914 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Alpine Touring (owned and presented by Tom and Mary Jo Heckman) is featured on page 34 of this catalog.
Cultural Aspects of Dress The University of Rhode Island’s Textile, Fashion Merchandising and Design program offers bachelor and master of science degrees. The graduate program features three specializations: (1) Textile Science focuses on dyeing and finishing, color science, environmental issues, and quality Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 11
vealed women’s increasing use of cars, roadways and cityscapes and examined the location of women within these spaces. Haleigh Brown looked at the use of dogs as fashion accessories in car advertisements. In particular, she examined how control, interaction and choice of breed signified power. Sarah Templeton analyzed ads by a single artist, McClelland Barclay, who designed “Body by Fisher” ads starting in 1922. Sarah discovered that while some ads portrayed the “New Woman” in pioneering roles, most perpetuated idealized imagery of the proper woman who required a man’s assistance. Meredith Wilcox explored the relationships among car advertisements, tourism and class relations during the same decade. Lastly, Sarah Yang integrated her artistic undergraduate interest into her study of Cadillac ads from 1940 to 1949. She found that color, spatial layout, textiles and jewelry were important considerations when Cadillac cobranded with luxury manufacturers Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels.
Beyond the Classroom Above: Dodge Brothers advertisement Vanity Fair, November 1923.
1911, when Vogue declared the motorcar a “necessity,” and ended with the stock market crash of 1929. Christine looked at the changing perceptions of femininity during this period through the interaction of women with cars, as represented in auto ads. Many students concentrated on the 1920s because of the enormous cultural changes that occurred between the close of World War I and the start of the Great Depression. Holly Paquette focused on the pairing of automobiles and sportswear as symbols of the growing consumption of leisure during the decade. Sarah Lockrem analyzed how RollsRoyce ads combined fashion, setting and text to reflect class distinctions and establish Rolls-Royce as a luxury brand. Johanna Tower’s research demonstrated how ladies clothing ads reflected changing attitudes toward women in public spaces. Her study re-
12 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
An often overlooked but essential aspect of graduate study involves fostering awareness in students of the need to reach audiences outside the classroom. Through active engagement, rather than mere dissemination, we learn to meet the needs and expectations of multiple audiences and to understand the limits of our interpretations. For my course, students wrote traditional research papers, but they also created research posters that summarized their findings. Research posters, while typically developed for academic conferences, can be used to engage audiences in less traditional settings. After a formal final exam and presentations to the Textiles, Fashion Merchandising and Design faculty, the students hung their posters in the Quinn Hall display case to reach the broader university community. The 2013 Auburn Heights Invitational of-
fered yet another opportunity to share the students’ research with a new audience. My students jokingly comment that “Dr. Gagnon’s classes never end,” and such was certainly the case with this course. Marshall Steam Museum Executive Director Susan Randolph was kind enough to highlight the students’ research months after the semester closed in the summer 2013 Auburn Heights Herald, much to their delight. Moreover, this project provided the impetus for us to delve deeper into the Textiles, Fashion Merchandising and Design Department’s Historic Textile and Costume Collection. While documentary research is enlightening, students and faculty alike enjoy working
with objects. Thus, the duster project took shape. As noted by famed woman driver Alice Ramsey in the memoir of her groundbreaking road trip, dress was a very important consideration. She and her companions took along a set of “‘city duds’ — dressy suits with pretty blouses,” but for everyday travel, they packed suits of “tan covert cloth” to be worn with simple blouses, dusters for warm dry weather, rubber rain ponchos, and hats. The many photographs taken to commemorate Alice’s cross-country trip clearly illustrate the important role the duster played in early automobile travel. Alice even used her duster to create a shade tent when her car broke down on the way to Sioux City, Iowa.
Far left: : An 1860s women’s duster, 1966.27.03, donated by Mrs. G. Seifer. Left: A 1912 women’s duster, 1984.07.01, label: B. Altman & Co. Paris/New York. Above: 1912 goggles. All from the Historic Textile and Costume Collection, University of Rhode Island.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 13
Right: Graduate students from the University of Rhode Island’s spring 2013 course “Cultural Aspects of Dress.” Back row from left: Meredith Wilcox, Haleigh Brown, Holly Paquette, Johanna Tower, Sarah Templeton, Sarah Lockrem; front row: Christine Callaghan, Sarah Yang.
Not surprisingly, the wear and tear of the trip led Alice to purchase a new duster soon thereafter. The preservation of everyday wear, such as the duster, is often overlooked in favor of the exceptional, but one of the strengths of the University of Rhode Island’s Historic Textile and Costume Collection lies in its holdings of everyday wear. Moreover, as in other collections, many of the more than 20,000 pieces are rarely displayed due to limited funds, space and staff. Because of the collaboration with the Marshall Steam Museum and the help of Dr. Margaret Ordoñez, Professor and Director of the Historic Textile and Costume Collection, and graduate student Mary Elizabeth Corrigan, six objects were selected, photographed and displayed at the 2013 Auburn Heights Invitational: three women’s dusters, two pairs of goggles, and a 1920s evening coat. While dusters are commonly associated with the rise of the automobile, the oldest of the dusters for display, which possibly dates to the 1860s, reminds us of the connections between trains and fashion. The remaining dusters, one dated 1900–1910 and the other 1912, with its associated goggles, bring to life the adventurous era of early motor travel. 14 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
Lastly, a fur-trimmed evening coat featuring a complex and stylized African print typical of the era, speaks to the relationships among wealth, fashion and the automobile during the 1920s. Inspired by the duster project and the Invitational’s silent auction fundraiser, Mary Elizabeth also offered to make a reproduction duster for the event’s silent auction. At our request, Curator Joy Emery searched the Commercial Pattern Archive at the University of Rhode Island for an original duster pattern. The pattern archive, an official project of the federal Save America’s Treasures program, electronically captures and stores commercial patterns in order to preserve them and make them available for research or re-creation (see http://copa.apps.uri.edu). Joy located a 1909 French duster pattern from which the replica was made. What began as a conversation between mother and daughter grew into a multifaceted project that provided new and longlasting educational opportunities that illustrate the promise of collaboration across disciplines, collections, time and space.
Ward Packard of J ames Warren, Ohio, is credited with building the first Packard automobile (now on display at Lehigh University) in 1899. In the mid-20th century, the Packard Motor Car Company advertised its standing as the only remaining American manufacturer to have shown a car at the first Madison Square Garden auto show in 1900. By midcentury, the company boasted that a third of the Packards built over the previous 50 years were still on the road. As each small auto manufacturer struggled to find its niche among the wide range of offerings during the first decade of the 20th century, Packard gravitated toward the high end. While not offering the most expensive cars in America, its attention to solid detail and the proven capability of its engines made Packard immensely popular with people of means. First, its strong four-cylinder Model 30 (followed by the smaller Model 18) advanced the sale of Packards throughout the United States and many foreign countries. Six-cylinder engines were introduced in 1912, the largest of which (in 1914 and 1915) was used in a huge seven-passenger touring car or limousine with 144-inch wheelbase rated at 48 horsepower. There was little doubt that Packard had a firm footing in the luxury market alongside Pierce-Arrow, Peerless, Thomas, Locomobile and several others, but Packard was outselling its competitors.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 15
For the 1916 model year came the famous Twin Six. Although others, such as Buick and Pathfinder, also experimented with V-12 engines, Packard was by far the most successful, and for five years the company built nothing else. During World War I, the U.S. Army had Packard Twin Sixes in service in Italy that attracted the attention of Enzo Ferrari, who later built many 12-cylinder sports cars. In the early 1920s, Packard small Sixes greatly outsold the more expensive Twin Sixes, which were phased out in 1923 in favor of Packard’s first large straight Eights with 3-3/8" x 5" bore and stroke and four-wheel brakes. Heavy and strong, chassis with these engines often appeared as tow trucks into the 1950s. The year 1936 marked the last model year for this “Big Eight” engine, with the cars featuring greatly improved styling as the 1930s approached. Having discontinued the Packard Six for a smaller straight Eight in 1929, 1935 brought a still smaller Eight named the OneTwenty, to compete in the moderate price field (this was followed by a small Six in 1937). But Packard had not abandoned V-12 engines. Halfway through the 1932 model year, it introduced a newly designed 12-cylinder engine and named it “Twin Six.” Called simply “Packard Twelve” starting in 1933, these top-of-the-line Packards were finally discontinued in 1939. The nation’s economy played a major role in luxury automobile manufacture. In 1929, Packard sold 48,000 cars; in 1932, the total had plummeted to 8,000. Introduction of the One-Twenty in 1935 and the small Six in 1937, now referred to as “Junior Packards,” may have saved the company during the Depression. The company enjoyed a record year in 1937, producing about 90,000 cars. Coming out of World War II, with an abundance of cash from its wartime contracts, Packard made some bad decisions. Long overdue, its first V-8s came out in 1955, replacing the old straight-eight engines. In 1954, the company merged with Studebaker, and by 1956, the last cars were built in the old Packard factory in Detroit. Three years later, you could no longer buy a new car with the Packard name.
16 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
1901 Packard Model C Runabout Owned and presented by John H. Hovey
n October 1901, Packard Motor Company launched its iconic advertising slogan “Ask the Man Who Owns One,” which endured for decades. By then, the company already boasted a celebrity owner in New York millionaire William D. Rockefeller, who previously drove Wintons. The company displayed the first of its Model Cs, a special, in November of 1900 at the first National Auto Show in Madison Square Garden. An innovative automobile, the Model
Right: Sponsored by the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers and the Automobile Club of America , the first recognized automobile show in America took place in New York in November 1900.
C was the first American car to feature a steering wheel. All other automobiles on display at the New York show sported the familiar tiller steering system. One reporter, unconvinced of the steering wheel’s superiority, stated that the steering wheel “appears to be popular on the other side, but for what purpose is beyond my reasoning faculties, unless it is due to their love of inconvenience and complications. In my opinion nothing can compare with the lever which requires only one hand and can be moved for the sharpest turn instantly, and one knows when it is brought back to straight without looking at the wheels.” Packard produced a total of 81 Model Cs, of which only five reportedly exist. This rare example completed the London to Brighton Veteran Car run in 1990.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 17
1910 Packard Model 30 Close-Coupled Touring Owned and presented by Howard & Gail Schaevitz
he first “Packard Thirty” prototype, built in the winter of 1905–6, was ready for the public starting in 1907. That same year, the Packard Motor Car Company moved to eighth place within the automobile industry, producing 1,403 cars. There were only minor changes made to the 1910 Model 30, including larger fenders in the front, a deep apron between the fenders and the body, a larger steering wheel, and replacement of the expanding ring clutch with a dry plate clutch, which designers hoped would allow for equal performance in both hot and cold weather. Formerly part of the famous Rod Blood Packard collection in Newton, Massachusetts, this car has won AACA National Junior and Senior awards as well as the coveted Joseph Parkin Award in 1984. The beautiful restoration of the car is the work of the late well-known restorer Ralph Buck18 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
ley, while the period-correct interior restoration was completed by Leif Drexler. Nearly 4,000 Packards were produced during the fiscal year of 1909 to 1910.
Above: Packard advertisement, 1910. Courtesy, oldcaradvertising.com.
1917 Packard Twin Six 7-Passenger Touring Owned and presented by Howard & Gail Schaevitz
ackard introduced the now-famous “Twin-Six” in 1915 and set the standard for luxury American cars of the period. With its newly designed V-12 engine, this replacement for Packard’s popular Six model featured double the number of cylinders and was produced in three series from 1916 until 1923. Upon testing the new Twin Six, company president Henry B. Joy concluded that the car was “the greatest piece of machinery that ever went upon the highways.” The few changes made to the 1917 model included the use of smaller wheels and removable cylinder heads, making the car sit much lower to the ground. The Packard Motor Car Company built more than 35,000 Twin Sixes from 1916 to 1923. This car was purchased new by Edwin Wilbur Rice, then president of General Electric. He sold it in 1924 to a Mr. J. Tiffany, who kept the car for more than 50 years, until it was purchased by Howard & Gail Schaevitz in 1977.
Above: Packard advertisement, Vogue magazine, July 15, 1917.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 19
Packard Model 626 Sedan Owned and presented by Andrew M. Taylor
n 1929, Packard offered a small straight Eight in two wheelbases to replace the Packard Six. This new line of cars supplemented the “Big Eights,” which became “Deluxe Eights.” The 1929 Packard sales brochure described the 626 Standard Eight five-passenger sedan as “the ideal family car,” featuring “the comfort and safety advantages of the exclusive Packard shockabsorbing system … the finest upholstery material … luxury-type springs and the liberal use of genuine curled hair in the cushions.” This Packard Model 626 sedan has been a part of the Taylor family since it was purchased new in 1929. The car is completely original and has traveled 19,000 miles. It rides on a 126.5" wheel base and features the optional dual side-mounted tires, Tripp light, cowl lights and rear trunk. The original window sticker shows that the car cost $3,286 when new in 1929.
20 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
Above: Packard advertisement, Vogue magazine, April 13, 1929.
1930 Packard Model 740 Custom Roadster Owned and presented by Seth Pancoast
n 1930, the Packard Motor Car Company introduced the Seventh Series of Packards, featuring new body styles that were lower and smoother in comparison to the models of the 1920s. These cars had non-shatter laminated glass windows, glove compartments on either side of the dashboard, an adjustable driverâ€™s seat, and steering wheel. The parking lights were mounted on the fenders and the headlamps changed in shape, resembling a half-melon design. Dual-mounted spare tires were an option on the 740. On their first trip to North America in 1930, the Duke and Duchess of York, the future King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, arrived at the Parliament Buildings in Victoria, British Columbia, in a 1930 Packard 740 touring car. Seth Pancoast purchased this car in 1969 and commissioned its restoration in 1983. It has won AACA National Junior and Senior awards as well as the Joseph Parkin Award in 1987.ď ˇ
Above: Packard advertisement, 1930. Courtesy, oldcaradvertising.com.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 21
1937 Packard Model 1508 Sedan Owned and presented by Marshall Steam Museum
ith the introduction of the Packard 120 in 1935 and the Six (later called the 110) in 1937, Packard enjoyed its best year ever in 1937, despite the lingering Depression. More than 90,000 cars were sold, 85,000 of which were the “Junior Packards” listed above. The Senior cars consisted of a Super Eight and a Twelve, and over 1,000 top-of-the-line Twelves were manufactured. Of a completely different design from the World War I Twin Sixes, these V-12s boasted mighty engines with a displacement of 473 cubic inches rated at 175 horsepower. Mounted on rubber and in a chassis with independent front-end suspension, they were as smooth as they were powerful. Power-assisted hydraulic brakes and clutch made driving a very special experience. The year 1937 was the last for a 144"-wheelbase frame on the Twelves and only for 7passenger touring sedans and limousines. (In 1938 and 1939, the final years of production, the maximum wheelbase was 139 22 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
inches.) The car shown here, with attachments, such as a heater and defroster, a radio with antenna in the roof, side-mounted spares, a trunk rack, and extra chrome trim, retailed for more than $5,000. Clarence Marshall bought this car in November 1937, two months after the 1938 models had been introduced. Except for a few months during World War II when it was stored in Walker’s Garage on Jackson Street in Wilmington, it has resided at Auburn Heights for 76 years. The latest model car in the former Marshall collection, it is the only one owned continuously by the family. Having a total mileage of about 68,000, nearly 12,000 of that was compiled in the summer of 1941 on a 10-week trip to the West Coast and Canadian Rockies. In the late 1940s, it was used as a tow vehicle to retrieve many of the cars then being purchased to begin the Marshall collection. Other than paint and window glass, everything is original. In 2013, the hydraulic brake system was rebuilt.
AUBURN HEIGHTS INVITATIONAL HISTORIC AUTOMOBILE DISPLAY
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 23
1905 REO Model B Runabout Owned and presented by Lammot Copeland Jr.
riginally founded by Ransom E. Olds in August 1904 as the R.E. Olds Motor Car Company, the REO Motor Car Company emerged after Olds’s previous company, then called Olds Motor Works, objected to the name and threatened legal action. Olds changed the name to his initials, and Olds Motor Works soon adopted the popular name of its cars, Oldsmobile. The first REO motor car was completed in October of 1904. After a successful test journey of nearly 2,000 miles, it was deemed ready for its debut and was shown at the 1905 New York Auto Show in Madison Square Garden. In 1905, only two REO models were available: a two-cylinder fivepassenger detachable tonneau and a singlecylinder runabout. Lammot Copeland, only the third owner of this car, purchased it in 1952 and had it completely restored in 2005–6.
24 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
Above: REO advertisement, New-York Sun, January 13, 1906.
Photo, courtesy the magnificent Michael Furman
1907 American Underslung Roadster Owned and presented by The Van Horneff Collection, on loan from the Simeone Automotive Museum
he first and oldest American-made sports car, the 1907 Underslung Roadster literally turned automotive design upside down. Or rather, engineer Fred Tone took his inspiration from watching the delivery of car frames, which were unloaded upside down, to the American Motor Car Company factory. Tone’s epiphany was to use them that way. This innovation, combined with Harry Stutz’s ingenious design, resulted in a fundamentally different car, with the frame under the springs and axle, hence the name Underslung. Heralded in the 1908 issue of Automobile Magazine as “the greatest symbol of engineering and design that changed the automotive world,” the Underslung’s revolutionary design swiftly prompted imitation, and by October 1908, more than 700,000 patent infringements were recorded. Legal authorities advised the company to file suit, but instead, American viewed the patent infringements as the highest form of flattery and proof of their groundbreaking success. This car appeared at the 1907 New York
Auto Show and was purchased by oil and lumber industrialist F.C. Deemer. One of only six prototype 50–60-horsepower versions made, it was driven by Deemer on his honeymoon in 1908 when tragedy struck. The garage in which it was parked overnight burned to the ground; afterward, the firedamaged remains were shipped home and stored—for a half century— until the great Walter Seeley found and meticulously restored the car. Van Horneff is only the fourth owner in 106 years! Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 25
1907 Mercedes Landaulet Owned and presented by Victor G. Plumbo
he design of the landaulet, like many early automobiles, owes much to the days of horse-drawn carriages. The landau, or Landauer as it was sometimes referred to in German, was an open coach in which passengers sat facing one another, with the coachman seated separately. Depending on the weather, two roof sections could be positioned over the passengers within. The landaulet design differed slightly, having only a rear half-roof covering, with passengers facing forward. During the transition from coaches to automobiles, both the landau and landaulet features were carried over into automotive design. This vehicle reflects the classic landaulet design, with the passengers in the back and the driver up front. For added comfort, a folding convertible top covers the rear seats. Unlike the early 1896 landaulets, which often left the driver completely unprotected from the elements, this 1907
26 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
model offered the driver a windshield and a sturdy roof. Victor Plumbo found this car in a building in Argentina and devoted 25 years to its careful restoration, earning it several awards.ď ˇ
1909 Mercedes Speedster Owned and presented by Joseph B. Van Sciver III
irst introduced by Daimler-MotorenGesellschaft (DMG) in 1900, the Mercedes model was developed by Wilhelm Mayback, then chief of engineering at DMG. It featured numerous innovations, including a low center of gravity, a pressedsteel frame and a lightweight highperformance engine. Mercedes was not an official trade name until 1902. Purchased in 1946 by Joe Van Sciver II, an avid auto collector, this four-cylinder 7.9liter-engine vehicle was modified as a speedster sometime in the teens. While it was repainted, the engine is entirely original, and the car boasts its original bearings and piston rings. It was driven in the 1949 reunion race in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, which commemorated the controversial Quaker City Motor Club 200-Mile Race. A shortlived race car event, it debuted in 1908 and featured primitive automobiles that raced around an 8-mile loop of public roads.ď ˇ
Above: The nationally recognized race in Fairmount Park ended in 1911. The scoreboard from the races is on display at the Simeone Automotive Museum in Philadelphia.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 27
Photo, Mike Ciosek
1909 White Model O Touring Owned by Carl D. Gates; presented by Marshall Steam Museum
rom 1901 to 1910, the White Sewing Machine Company of Cleveland built about 8,000 steam cars that were sophisticated and complicated in design. With a coil boiler and compound engine, they had condensers (to recycle the water) starting in 1903. White manufactured two sizes: the smaller 20-horsepower cars (like this one) and the huge 30-horsepower models (later termed 40-horsepower) that cost twice as much. Although Stanley steam cars such as those in the Marshall Steam Museum collection remain better known today, more Whites were sold during the 10-year period when both were produced. When President William Howard Taft established the first official White House automobile fleet in 1909, a White steamer was even included in the Presidential garage. The late Harm and Betty Andrews of Warren, Ohio, were beloved by the steam car community and attended steam car 28 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
tours for many years. This beautiful vehicle from Harm’s collection is on loan to the Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve in memory of the Andrews’ devotion to the antique car hobby. The car is now owned by their son-in-law, Carl D. Gates.
1910 REO Model R5 5-Passenger Touring Owned and presented by Lee & Helen Turner
y 1907, the REO Motor Car Company reported gross sales of $4 million, and the company was already among the top four automobile manufacturers in the United States. However, success was not to last, and in 1908, REO’s share of the market started to drop, in part as a result of the growth of companies such as the Ford Motor Company and General Motors. Nonetheless, the year 1910 brought many firsts for REO — it was the first year the company produced a four-cylinder engine and the first year for left-hand drive. After purchasing this car from a museum in Illinois, owners Lee and Helen Turner undertook its full restoration.
Above: REO advertisement, Cosmopolitan magazine, 1911.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 29
1910 Thomas Flyer Model M Touring Owned by Frederick H. Hoch; presented by Bill Walsh
dwin Ross Thomas began his career as a bicycle manufacturer, and his company built its first car around 1900, which it sold under the name Buffalo. In 1902, Thomas began putting his name on his automobiles after forming the E.R. Thomas Motor Company. The company introduced its illustrious Flyer design in 1904, but the Thomas Flyer earned everlasting fame in 1908 during what is known as the “Great Race,” a 22,000-mile trek from New York to Paris. The journey was expected to take at least six months over poor or non-existent roads, and teams from France, Italy, Germany and the United States competed. The American Thomas Flyer team ultimately won, completing the trip, which spanned three continents, in only 169 days. This Model M #336 was purchased from the Swigart Museum on August 1, 1961, by Art Strauss, who undertook most of the restoration. It was then sold to Frederick H.
30 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
Hoch in 1997, after which the restoration was completed by Schaeffer & Long Inc. of Magnolia, New Jersey.
Above: Detail, Thomas Flyer catalog from 1909.
1913 Buick Model 25 Touring Owned and presented by Michael J. Jones Sr.
old for $1,050, this 1913 Buick was one of 8,150 Model 25 Touring cars built that year. It is powered by a 28-horsepower four-cylinder engine and was the last vehicle to be produced with right-hand drive and outboard shifting mechanism. David Dunbar Buick founded the company that bears his name in 1903, and the first cars were sold to the public in 1904. Those first cars, known as the Model B, were reliable thanks to their durable valve-in-head engines. So bulletproof was this design that Buick’s mantra, “Valve-inhead is ahead in value,” remained in use decades later. Buick was often referred to as a “doctor’s car” because it offered most of the luxury and accoutrements of comparable models from Cadillac, but the smaller price tag meant a “sensible” doctor would not look as ostentatious when he showed up for a house call.
Now 100 years old, this automobile was restored 50 years ago by Buick dealer F.B. Wasley of Briar Hill in Bristol, Connecticut. It went on to win a First Junior from the Antique Automobile Club of America and a National First from the Veteran Motor Car Club of America in 1965. The automobile resided in Connecticut until it was acquired by its present owner some 15 years ago. Shown at venues around the country, this car won the Mayor’s Choice award at the 2001 Lansdale under the Lights Automobile Festival. In 2010, it was featured on Broad Street in Philadelphia during the International Festival of the Arts, and it has participated in numerous Brass Era tours with the Antique Automobile Club of America and the Horseless Carriage Club of America. This car has had only three owners and is recognized as the most historically accurate of the three or four that remain.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 31
1913 Stanley Model 78 Roadster Owned and presented by Marshall Steam Museum
y 1949, Clarence Marshall (Tom Marshall’s father) was collecting Stanleys in a major way. Having owned a Model 78 when he was a young man, it was no surprise that when the opportunity to obtain this rare car appeared, he seized the moment. Under Clarence’s care, the car participated in the Glidden Tour of 1950 in northern New York and Canada as well as a 1981 progressive tour from Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire, to Kingfield, Maine. By 2010, the car was starting to show its age, and the Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve (F.A.H.P.), decided to commission a professional restoration of this important vehicle. In May 2010, the organization placed the Model 78 in the capable hands of Charles W. Johnson, proprietor of the Stanley Shop in Wellsville, Pennsylvania, to restore the car to its 1913 origins. F.A.H.P. proudly welcomed the car’s return in December 2012, just in time to mark the beginning of its centennial year. This 1913 Model 78 is special for a number
32 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
of reasons. It is a prime example of the aluminum-bodied cars that many consider the apex of Stanley’s production design and remains the only surviving example of a 1913 20-horsepower Stanley roadster.
Above: The Model 78 on its final pre-restoration outing in 2010 to Winterthur’s Point-to-Point .
1914 Pierce-Arrow Model 38 Touring Owned and presented by Bob & Louise Nunnink
est known for producing prestigious automobiles for the elite, the PierceArrow Motor Car Company nevertheless boasted humble beginnings. During the 1870s, the George N. Pierce Company produced household items, such as ice chests and birdcages, but in 1901, Pierce built a single-cylinder automobile and a bicycle for display at the Pan-American Exposition. The company became the Pierce-Arrow Company in 1908. The year 1914 brought a number of important changes to the Pierce-Arrow design, including the distinctive fender light designed by Herbert Dawley, the electric starter, and a pressure oil system. This Model 38 has participated in numerous tours in the United States and England. With a total production of about 500 automobiles, less than 10 are believed to survive today.ď ˇ
Above: Pierce-Arrow advertisement, Vogue magazine, September 15, 1914.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 33
1914 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Alpine Touring Owned and presented by Tom and Mary Jo Heckman
egend has it that the Rolls-Royce Company was started over a famous lunch in May of 1904 between the successful engineer Frederick Henry Royce and the automobile enthusiast and consummate marketer Charles Stuart Rolls. Since then the company has built a legacy of engineering, craftsmanship and luxury. The sixcylinder 40/50 horsepower model we now know as the Silver Ghost was first displayed at the 1906 London Motor Show. The Silver Ghost name was immortalized in 1907 when the Commercial and Managing Director of Rolls-Royce, Claude Johnson, finished one of the newly built models in an aluminum paint that gave the automobile a silver appearance that matched its silver-plated metalwork. He referred to the resulting car as the “Silver Ghost” and kept the vehicle in the public eye by putting it through a series of runs and reliability trials, traveling 14,371 miles 34 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
and beating the current record for nonstop running at that time. The Silver Ghost remained in production until 1925. This car was purchased by Tom and Mary Jo Heckman in 1989 and has traveled almost 60,000 miles on various tours in Mexico, Canada, England and Spain. Most recently, the car successfully completed the 2013 Centennial Alpine Rally, a tour that began and ended in Vienna, Austria, encompassing nearly 2,000 miles and 27 alpine passes.
1918 Cadillac Type 57 7-Passenger Touring Owned and presented by Irénée du Pont Jr.
he 1918 Cadillac Type 57 was introduced in August 1917 at a cost ranging between $2,590 and $4,235. A 1918 Buick, by contrast, cost $795 to $2,175. This Cadillac has an 80-horsepower 314 cu. in. V-8 engine. While a student at Dartmouth College in 1939, Irénée du Pont discovered this automobile at the Bailey Brothers Auto Salvage of West Lebanon, New Hampshire. The automobile had come from the Woodstock, Vermont, estate of actors Frank Fay and Barbara Stanwyck. On a test drive, he noted that the car was only hitting on seven cylinders but had plenty of power — and only 33,203 miles on the odometer. He purchased it for $40 (plus $10 for a battery) and promptly registered it in New Hampshire. Because Dartmouth prohibited freshman from driving cars in the town of Hanover, du Pont arranged with the salvage yard manager, Paul Bond, then 26 years old, to
“garage” the car at the junkyard. More than 60 years later, when du Pont returned for his 60th college reunion, he stopped by to find that Bond now owned the business and was still going strong at 88. The car ran well on seven cylinders, but after opening a cover plate, du Pont learned that the valves on the left front cylinder were not operating. The local Cadillac dealer assigned his best mechanic to make the repair, and for $38, the car has been running on all eight cylinders ever since. According to du Pont, the Cadillac attracted more girls than a fancy sports car and credits the vehicle with not only conveying his bride to their first apartment in Huntington, Long Island, but also with introducing him to a lifelong hobby. The car received an engine overhaul and new coat of blue paint in 1962, and now 94 years of age, it remains in frequent use even today. Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 35
1927 Pierce-Arrow Model 80 Sedan Owned and presented by Jonathan & Nancy Griggs
ierce-Arrow is widely regarded as one of Americaâ€™s finest automobile manufacturers, known for producing luxurious automobiles in limited number for an affluent market. No doubt to broaden their clientele, the company introduced in 1925 the Series 80, a smaller and less expensive alternative to the Series 33 automobiles also in production. They continued to produce this model through the 1927 model year. This 1927 Model 80 Sedan boasted a list price of $2,900, which at the time was enough to purchase a respectable singlefamily home. The 1927 models ranged in size from two-passenger runabouts to seven-passenger enclosed limo coaches. After spending most of its life in Buffalo, New York, where the Pierce-Arrow factory was located, this car underwent a partial restoration during the 1960s and soon found a home at a car museum in central Illinois. After 20 years, the car was sold to a classic car dealership, from which 36 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
Jonathan Griggs purchased the car in 2004. The car then received a substantial mechanical and cosmetic restoration.ď ˇ
Above: Pierce-Arrow advertisement, Vogue magazine, September 15, 1926.
1930 Cord L-29 Cabriolet Owned and presented by Thomas Lee
hen transportation industrialist E.L. Cord arrived in Auburn, Indiana, in 1924 at the age of 30, the Auburn Automobile Company was less than successful. In the coming years, Cord would turn the company around, including the introduction of the innovative Cord L-29 Cabriolet. The Cord L-29 was sold between 1929 and 1932 and was the first production front-wheeldrive car in America. The low, sleek, rumble-seat convertible body was designed by Alan Leamy, built by the Limousine Body Company, and assembled by the Auburn Automobile Company. The wheelbase is 137 inches long, and the car weighs in at 4,320 lbs. Notable features include the front-wheel drive, the first production “constant velocity” universal joints, Bijur lubrication, Buell air horns, “PilotRay” and hydraulic brakes. Compared to other cars of the early 1930s, the Cord sits lower, and its long front nose creates a racy
and elegant look. The front-wheel drive was touted by Cord as a revolutionary idea in comfort and safety. There were 5,010 Cords produced between 1929 and 1931. The last Cord L-29 rolled off the Auburn assembly line in December of 1931, and while the average cost of a car in 1930 was about $500, the Cord Cabriolet cost $3,295 when new.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 37
1931 Cadillac V16 Cabriolet Owned and presented by Charlie & Cheryl Eggert
n 1902, master mechanic and engineer Henry M. Leland helped to found the Cadillac Automobile Company, named for the French explorer who founded Detroit in 1701. Through the complete interchangeability of its precision parts, Cadillac helped form the foundation for the modern mass production of automobiles. In the 1930s, despite the challenges of the Depression, Cadillac introduced the world’s first V-type 16-cylinder engine in a passenger car. Some of the details introduced with the V-16 model included single bar bumpers, dual horns, concave monogram bar, radiator screen, 13inch Guide “Tilt Ray” headlights and dual rear lights to match the headlights. While bodies were built by a number of companies, such as Murphy, Waterhouse, Saoutchik, Vanden Plas, Pin Farina and Fisher, most were “catalog customs” by Fleetwood. Since the car underwent restoration in 38 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
2008, it has won numerous awards, including the 2013 Best in Show at the Misselwood Concours d’Elegance.
Above: Cadillac advertisement, Vogue magazine, August 1, 1931.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 39
40 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
Inspiring New GeneraĆ&#x;ons at Marshall Steam Museum By Jesse Gagnon
n the fall of 2012, the Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve debuted its formalized educational programs at the Marshall Steam Museum. Since then, the organization has experienced an important shift in understanding what education means at the museum. Increasingly, static displays and lecture-based programs are a thing of the past as visitors crave interactive and memorable encounters. As an organization slowly moving from infancy to adolescence, embracing this change can present both a daunting challenge and an enormous opportunity. Today, the Marshall Steam Museumâ€™s collection includes 16 steam cars (one newly acquired this year), a 1916 Rauch & Lang electric car and two 1930s Packards, along with a White steam car on long-term loan. While we have long boasted of the originality of the cars, their continued roadworthiness, and the ability to explore the life and death of a particular automobile technology, there is so much more that this collection can offer. Not only can we explore these beautiful automobiles and steam technology, but also present a fascinating story of Ameri-
Jesse Gagnon is Director of Education at the Marshal Steam Museum. Left: Kindergartners from Heritage Elementary School learn about the different jobs on the railroad, March 2013.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 41
OÄ M®ÝÝ®ÊÄ The mission of the Children’s Education Program is to educate the Marshall Steam Museum’s youngest visitors about American life at the dawn of the automotive age in an experiential way that inspires a lifelong love of learning and a curiosity in science, technology and history.
can ingenuity and innovation at the turn of the 20th century. As a visitor to the Marshall Steam Museum’s Steamin’ Days, you enjoy a truly multisensory experience. Whether you are feeling the wind on your face as you pass around the mansion in the 1915 Stanley Mountain Wagon, smelling and tasting the freshly popped popcorn from the antique Cretors popper, or hearing almost nothing as the nearly silent Rauch and Lang electric car sneaks up behind you, the museum’s educational programs strive to provide a similar experience because learning should be fun and excite the senses. Museums present a tangible representation of our past. Looking at a 100-year-old steam car, hearing its horn, or taking a ride has an impact that a paragraph in a textbook can never achieve. When our visitors, whether adults or children, examine objects, build things, and solve problems, they not only learn about the past, but also develop and hone valuable skills they will use the rest of their lives. The Joseph Boxler Education Fund is an invaluable resource in the museum’s efforts (Continued on page 44)
Left: We traveled from Downingtown to Millsboro to deliver 22 outreach programs this summer, including the popular “Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.”
42 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
“The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Marshall Steam Museum
oday, there is a growing agreement that literacy lies at the center of learning and that without a strong foundation in literacy, individual success is measurably more difficult. In response, the Marshall Steam Museum initiated the Story Time program. More than just reading books, the program takes literacy to the next level through the use of teaching objects, historical images, interactive activities and craft projects. By encouraging children to direct their own learning, they build critical problem-solving skills while also having fun. This summer, the Marshall Steam Museum tied the program to the 2013 national summer reading theme “Dig into Reading.” In a special summer program on Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, groups of 5-to-8-year-olds explored this classic 1939 book by Virginia Lee Burton as well as the idea of invention and how technology changes over time. For participants, the biggest highlight was investigating the mechanisms of a 1920s typewriter. Many had never seen a typewriter, and they reveled in the chance to push buttons, examine gears and discover for themselves how this fascinating piece of technology worked.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 43
(Continued from page 42)
to expand and continually improve its programming, allowing the Friends of Auburn Heights to provide: ♦ Engaging, hands-on children’s programs at the
Marshall Steam Museum;
♦ Interactive outreach programs that take the
museum into the community; and
♦ New Steamin’ Day activities, such as Story Time
and an expanded Kid Zone, encouraging creativity and inquiry.
Most important, the Joseph Boxler Education Fund helps to build the Marshall Steam Museum’s role as a community resource. A trip to Auburn Heights presents the young and old alike with an opportunity to disconnect from busy lifestyles and fully immerse themselves in a bygone era. Visitors step back to a time when the world was alive with new technologies, experiences and opportunities, and they leave with smiles on their faces as they re-enter the 21st century, filled with its own possibilities. Left from top: All ages discover how a steam car works with the hands-on exhibit What’s Under the Hood, funded in part by the Joseph Boxler Education Fund. Through crafts and tours, children develop critical thinking skills as they learn to create, question and explore new and old technologies.
44 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
The Joseph Boxler Education Fund Inspiring New Generations
he Joseph Boxler Education Fund celebrates Joe Boxler’s passion for cars and learning. Joe began volunteering at Auburn Heights in 2006. As a teenager, he wrote in his journal that the opportunity to volunteer at Auburn Heights was “the chance of a lifetime.” Tragically, Joseph Boxler died in an automobile accident in October 2007. He was only 16 years old. Joe’s inquisitive nature and infectious sense of humor touched all who knew him, and he relished every opportunity to learn, laugh and share. To honor Joe’s passion and approach to life, in 2007 the Boxler family established the Joseph Boxler Education Fund, which supports the museum’s Children’s Education Program, dedicated to inspiring new generations. To learn more about the fund and the programs it supports, contact Executive Director Susan Randolph at 302-239-2385 or SRandolph@AuburnHeights.org.
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 45
46 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 47
Save the Date 2014 A UBURN H EIGHTS I NVITATIONAL Sunday, September 21 12:30 to 4:30 pm
Spotlight on Electric Cars Join Us to Celebrate the Best in Style, History & Heritage from the Early Automotive Age
48 Auburn Heights Invitational 2013
Auburn Heights Invitational 2013 Spotlight on Packard Motor Car Company A Special Fundraiser Event Presented by Camp Wilcox Group of Wells Fargo Advisors
We thank our generous sponsors: Presenting Sponsor Camp Wilcox Group of Wells Fargo Advisors Platinum Sponsors Frederick J. Dawson, ChFC, CLU of Bassett, Dawson & Foy, Inc. Mid-Atlantic Antique & Classic Car Center Gold Sponsors Michael J. Barrett Country Butcher Fine Foods Market TD Bank, N.A. Silver Sponsors Thomas F. Bullock, Esq. Hagerty Insurance Agency Mike May’s Autoshed Red Robin Gourmet Burgers (Delaware Locations) Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library Bronze Sponsors Kirkwood Auto Center Rempco, Inc.
© 2013 The Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission of the Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve.
Marshall Steam Museum at Auburn Heights Preserve 3000 Creek Road, P.O. Box 61 Yorklyn DE 19736 (302) 239-2385 AuburnHeights.org