Christmas, they say, is the time for sharing what we have and receiving our rewards for the good things we have done. For some, the yuletide season means a respite from their job or school and a chance to celebrate the birth of our Savior together with their families. This special edition features how we, as cadets, see and celebrate Christmas in our own fashion. How we party, and party harder as if the end of the world is coming! Have a festive Christmas everyone! And may we all celebrate this yuletide season with peace and love.
The human Christmas tree symbolizes the role of the maritime industry in making the Yuletide Season possible. In union with the observance of the birth of our Savior, seafarers from all over the world pray and celebrate to commemorate the nativity. This is also a salute to the Filipino seafarers who sacrifice their own pleasure, which is to be with their family on Christmas, for the sake of keeping the world a happier place for the whole mankind. Seafarers are responsible for delivering cargoes everyday which include presents as well as the basic commodities which run a household even when everyone else is safe at home during the holidays. The Jupiter Section posing for the Human Christmas tree.
here are always a few bad eggs in a tray. However, they hide themselves well in order to keep from being dumped in the trash. We sometimes need to have a meticulous inspector. Someone who has the stealth of a fox, eyes of an owl and EXLOWRIDKRJ$OOZHQHHGLV6$17$&/$86WKHEHVWWDFWLFDORIĂ€FHUHYHU ,WGRHVQÂˇWPDWWHUIURPZKLFKDFDGHP\\RXDUHFRPLQJIURP+HFDQFDWFKXV all, PMA, PNPA, PMMA. He has known us all since we were kids. This good old IHOORZZDVDOVRWKHNLQJRIÂ´NDSDOXVXWDQÂľGXULQJKLV\RXWK+DYHQÂˇW\RXHYHU wondered how an average man can breach a mansion, deliver a toy, then leave without so much as a trace save for a bite from the HOPIA that was left beside the Christmas tree? The answer is simple, he had lots of practice by going Â´RYHUWKHEDNRGÂľEDFNZKHQKHZDVHQUROOHGLQ(VFXHOD1DXWLFDGH0DQLOD 'RQÂˇWJHWPHZURQJNLGGRV7KLVLVQÂˇWP\SHUVRQDORSLQLRQ,EDVHGWKLVWKHRU\ from a long lost scroll from the western world written by John Frederick Coots and Haven Gillespie. It tells us about the abilities of a jolly old man who can knock all of us down faster than Manny Pacquiao. So what would it be like if Kris Kringle UHDOO\EHFDPHD7DFWLFDO2IĂ€FHU" \EHF FDP DPH HD D7D 7DFW FWLF FW LF FDO 2IĂ€ IĂ€FH FHU" FH U" %(77(5 :$7&+ 287 (YLOGRHUV DOZD\V KDYH D VWDQGE\ $ standby is someone who patiently guards your ass to keep you away IURPWURXEOHGXULQJÂ´EXZLVEXKD\ÂľPRPHQWV %(77(5 127 3287 0LVFUHDQWV ZLOO DOZD\V EH DQJU\ LI WKLQJV GRQÂˇWJRDFFRUGLQJWRWKHLUSODQ,I\RXDUHQRWLQ cahoots with them, they might even ask you to just pipe down. Â´:DODQJODJODJDQEHFDXVH6DQWDDOZD\VZDQWVWDQJJDODQÂľ Regardless of the precautions listed above, inevitably the bad guys will get caught by Santa. He has seen it all, he has done it all. Â´3DSXQWDNDSDODQJQDNDLODQJEDOLNQDVL\DÂľ$QGZKHQKHGRHV catch them, they BETTER NOT CRY.
0867(5/,67 The â€œGalacticsâ€? always make a muster list of atraso kids so that they could accurately keep track of who was supposed to report to them and hunt the â€œastigsâ€? later. Likewise, Santa keeps a list of the naughty midshipmen, checking it twice to avoid improper and insubstantial reports to the DM.
7KLVLVWKHZRUVWSDUWRIDOO6DQWDWUXO\LVD67$/.(5 %,*7,0(+HNQRZVDOOWKH7$369LRODWRUV+HDOVRNQRZV LI\RXDOZD\VVOHHSLQWKHFODVVURRPWRR+HFDQVHH\RX HYHU\ZKHUH ZRUVH WKDQ WKH &&79 FDPV LQ %LJ %URWKHUÂ·V +RXVH 2QH WKLQJÂ·V IRU VXUH PLGVKLSPHQ ZLOO GHÃ€QLWHO\ think twice of committing violations if Santa was part of the Tactical Unit.
6RHYHU\RQHVKRXOGDOZD\VEHJRRG,WGRHVQÂ·WPDWWHULI ZHDUHMXVWLQRXUWHHQDJH\HDUVRUPLGWZHQWLHV7KHUHÂ·V nothing bad in reliving the old childhood ways and traditions EXWLWÂ·VJRRGWRNHHSRXUSUHVHQFHRIPLQGLQRUGHUWRVWD\ out of trouble. :H GRQÂ·W QHHG WR GLVWXUE ROG 6DLQW 1LFNÂ·V \HDU ORQJ UHVW 7KDWÂ·VKRZORQJKHQHHGVWRUHFXSHUDWHEHFDXVHRIKLV yearly duty as OOD every Christmas Eve.
Libre ang humiling at mangarap. That is how a Filipino saying goes. Some people live for the fortune. Some
SHRSOHOLYHIRUWKHSRZHU6RPHSHRSOHOLYHIRUWKHIDPH2QWKHÂżUVWZHHNRI'HFHPEHU7KH*DOOHRQ6WDII FRQGXFWHGDVXUYH\ZLWKWKHWKHPHÂł:KDWLV\RXU&KULVWPDV:LVKÂ´2XWRIWKUHHKXQGUHGUHVSRQGHQWVZHWRRN WHQRIWKHEHVWDQVZHUVZKLFKRQO\GHÂżQLWHO\UHĂ€HFWHGUHOHYDQFHWRFXUUHQWLVVXHVLQ300$+H\LWÂśV&KULVWPDV 6RFDUU\RQ
1. â€œSANA MAKA-LAYA NA ANG MGA OOP RESTRICTEDâ€? %RRP &DQ DIIRUG &DQÂśW DIUDLG 8QGHU 223 restriction is the heaviest form of restriction mainly because anyone sanctioned with this punishment committed a heavy violation gainst the Triple R. Heavy HQRXJK WR JHW WKH DWWHQWLRQ RI WKH 3UHVLGHQW &RPPR 5LFKDUG85LWXDO300$ 'XULQJ WKH EHHUEXVWLQJ FDGHWV ZLWK EDOOV RI VWHHO Ă€DXQWHG WKLV ZLVK RQ WKH SURMHFWRU VFUHHQ IRU HYHU\RQH WR VHH $OPRVW HYHU\RQH EXUVW LQWR PXUPXULQJ 7DON DERXW JXWV PDWH $ UHTXHVW OLNH WKLV LV FRPSDUDEOH WR JDPEOLQJZLWKLQVXUPRXQWDEOHRGGVVWDFNHGDJDLQVW\RX%XW VRPHWLPHV\RXMXVWKDYHWRUROOWKHKDUGVL[$QGVRWKH\ GLG$QGLWSDLGRII2XU3UHVLGHQWJUDQWHGWKHPSDUROHIRU WKH&KULVWPDVEUHDN,VWKHUHDEHWWHU&KULVWPDVJLIWWKDQ this?
2. â€œSANA MAGKITA NA KAMI NG BABAENG MAHAL KOâ€? --3Cl Magbanua 6KRRW ND VD EDQJD ERL 'DGG\ \R /RRN D OLNH WKLUG FODVV EDE\ ER\ 6HH EXQNPDWHV LWÂśV DOO DERXW EDOOV &O0DJEDQXDZDVIRUPHUO\EHUWKHGZLWKPHDW%UDYRQG 0\ÂżUVWDQGIRUHPRVWOHVVRQWRWKH%ER\VZDVÂł\RXJRWWD EULQJ\RXUEDOOVZLWK\RXDOOWKHWLPHÂ´$QGDVZHDUH$ÂśHUV FRQÂżGHQFH LQ H[SUHVVLQJ RXU IHHOLQJV WR RXU SULQ]HVDV PHDQVDORW,WÂśVLQRXUQDWXUH$OSKDNDSDOPXNV%DWPHQ FDYHPHQ'HÂżQLWHO\LI\RXDUHDÂłFLYLHVÂ´DQG\RXUkaribal LVDQ$ÂśHUtsong nanganganib ang katayuan mo sa buhay! Manliliit ka, $85$pa lang yan! %2206RFKHHUVWR&O 0DJEDQXD*RRGOXFNEXQNPDWH:H\RXUEURWKHUVDQG VLVWHUVLQWKH&RUSVVXSSRUW\RXLQ\RXUQREOHFDXVHSana magkita na kayo. Kalayaan para kay MagsBunny! (Advice: If in case she doesnâ€™t reciprocate your feelings... marami pang iba diyan. Pumili ka, ayan o ang dami >>>
3. â€œSANA MAKA-GRADUATE LAHAT NG FIRST CLASS!â€? :KRHYHU\RXDUHWKDQNVEXQNPDWH,FDQVWLOOUHPHPEHU what Ens Soriano told us years ago: â€œKung gusto niyong makatapos dito, kami rin gusto namin. Mas matagal na kaming nandito.â€?,ZDVVWLOODSURE\EDFNWKHQVR,KDUGO\ understood what he said. 7KH &RUSV UXQV RQ WHDPZRUN DQG FRRSHUDWLRQ 7KH ÂżUVW FODVV PLGVKLSPHQ VWULYH KDUG WR UXQ WKH &RUSV LQ unison in order to maintain the standards of the Long Blue /LQH ,QUHFHQW \HDUV WKHUH KDV EHHQ DJRRG QXPEHU RI casualties from the graduating class. We even called it as ÂłWZRGD\V\QGURPHÂ´RUÂłRQHZHHNV\QGURPHÂ´GHSHQGLQJ on the number of days prior to graduation when a cadet LVWHUPLQDWHG+HDULQJWKHVHVHQWLPHQWVIURPWKHMXQLRUV PDNHVXVKDSS\)RUWKDWâ€œSana maka-graduate tayong lahat.â€?
4. â€œAIRCON FOR THE QUARTERSâ€?
Libre lang mangarap. Mangarap ka habang gising.$V WKHVRQJÂł:KHQ,JURZXSÂ´E\WKH3XVV\&DW'ROOVJRHV But be careful what you wish for, Cause you might just get it You might just get it You might just get it. (AW!) :RZ 7KLV MXVW FDPH WUXH 7KH EXONKHDGV LQ WKH DOOH\ZD\V RI WKH VW %DWWDOLRQ TXDUWHUV DUH now removed due to the ongoing renovation. Wish granted. â€œUy butas ang damit mo.â€? â€œHindi ah! Aircon yan!â€? $Q\PRUHVWUXFWXUDOZLVKHV"1RQH"*RRG
5. “WI-FI IN THE QUARTERS” 6XI¿FHWRVD\WKLVLVDYHU\LPSRUWDQWDQGVHULRXVPDWWHU One of the reasons why cadets are eager to go ashore is WR VXUI WKH QHW 0HUH ZRUGV FDQQRW HPSKDVL]H WKLV IDFW but the importance of maintaining constant communication FDQ QHYHU EH RYHUVWDWHG (VSHFLDOO\ ZLWK RXU )DFHERRN IULHQGV)LIW\SHUFHQWRIZKRPDUHSHRSOHZHKDYHQHYHU PHWDQGWKHRWKHUKDOILVFRPSRVHGRIEXQNPDWHVZKRZH VHH HYHU\GD\ WDON ZLWK HYHU\GD\ LQ WKH KHDG IRUPDWLRQ JURXQGTXDUWHUVFODVVURRPPHVVKDOODOOH\ZD\PDFKLQH VKRS VDPSD\DQ VWDUEXFNV VZLPPLQJ SRRO OLEUDU\ DQG %$7&$9( Of course we also use the internet for the following: OHDUQKRZWRGULYH OHDUQKRZWRSOD\WKHSLDQR OLVWHQWRPXVLF ¿QGQHZWUHQGV +PPPZKDWHOVH" $Q\RWKHUVXJJHVWLRQVUHJDUGLQJWKHEHQH¿WRI:L)L" 0HHWLQJ/DGLHV"SHUIHFW 0HHWLQJEDWV"'H¿QLWHO\ 6WDONLQJ"1RWUHDOO\NLG:HGRWKHOHDYLQJ 1$87,&22/"3OXV¿YH 6WXG\LQJ",¶PVRUU\WKHWDEOHLVFORVHGIRUVXJJHVWLRQV RQVV
6. “SANA MAS LALO PANG GUMANDA ANG REGIMENTAL SYSTEM”
7KDQN \RX ,W LV DOPRVW WKH VDPH DV ZLWK WKH ³6DQD PDNDJUDGXDWH ODKDW QJ ¿UVW FODVV´ ZLVK :H DOVR VXSSRUW \RX EXQNPDWH 6LQFH WKH 5HJLPHQWDO V\VWHP LV RQHRIWKHWKLQJVZKLFKZHUHUHYLYHGWKLVDFDGHPLF\HDULW FRQWLQXRXVO\HYROYHVDFFRUGLQJWRWKHUXOHVDQGHI¿FLHQF\ WKDWZHFDQSURYLGH:HDUHVWLOODGMXVWLQJDQGZHFDQVD\ that things are getting better and better. We have formed FORVHUERQGVZLWKWKHMXQLRUVWLJKWHUGLVFLSOLQHPRQLWRULQJ DQG EHWWHU DFDGHPLF VXSSRUW EHFDXVH RI PHQWRULQJ DV compared to the previous years. :LWKDOOGXHUHVSHFWWRRXUVHQLRUVIURPUHFHQWEDWFKHV WKLVLQIRLVDFWXDOO\DFFRUGLQJWRWKH7DFWLFDO2I¿FHUV6R IRU WKHEHQH¿WRIWKH&RUSVRI0LGVKLSPHQ DQG RXU$OPD 0DWHUPD\\RXUZLVKFRPHWUXH
7. “SANA ALLOWED NA ULI ANG SMOKING” :HOO ZH KDYH EHHQ WROG WKDW GXULQJ WKH ROG GD\V VPRNLQJ LQVLGH WKH $FDGHP\ZDVDSULYLOHJHIRU&/0LGVKLSPHQ7KRVHGD\VDUHORQJJRQH 2QWKHXSVLGHVLQFH300$LVQRZDVPRNLQJIUHHLQVWLWXWLRQHYHQWKH&/ 0LGVKLSPHQ SURGXFH LPSUHVVLYH UHVXOWV GXULQJ SK\VLFDO DFWLYLWLHV VXFK DV Fun Runs. We can even run toe to toe with professional runners and athletes GXULQJVXFKHYHQWVDVH[SHFWHGRI3KLOLSSLQH*RYHUQPHQWFDGHWV:HHYHQ RXWUDQWKH$UP\DQG$LU)RUFHGLYLVLRQVGXULQJWKH5HVHUYLVW&KDOOHQJHDW &DPS$JXLQDOGR+DOIRIWKDWSODWRRQZDVFRPSRVHGRI&/PLGVKLSPHQ +RZHYHUWRVXSSRUWWKHJRYHUQPHQWWRLQFUHDVHWD[HVLQ6LQSURGXFWVE\DOO PHDQVOLJKW\RXUFLJDUHWWHVDQGVPRNHWR\RXUKHDUW¶VFRQWHQWDQGKHOSWKH 1DWLRQDO7UHDVXU\-XVWGRLWRXWVLGHWKH$FDGHP\SUHPLVHV
8. “SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB” $FWXDOO\,ZDVWKHRQHZKRGURSSHGWKLV,DPDOVRRQHRIWKRVHZKRUDQNHG XSWKLVSDUWLFXODUZLVK7KDWLVZK\,¶PVWLOOFOXHOHVVDVWRZK\LWGURSSHGZD\ down the bottom of this list. $Q\ZD\ZKRFDUHV&O3HODJLRVWROHP\GUHDPVZKHQVKHZRQWKLVSDU WLFXODUJDGJHWGXULQJWKH&KULVWPDV3DUW\UDIÀH&RQJUDWXODWLRQV*ULQFK
9. “SANA SUMARAP PA ANG PAGKAIN SA MESS HALL” :HOO,GRQ¶WNQRZLIWKLVLVHYHQUHOHYDQW7DVWHLVVXEMHFWLYH,WLVWKHFRXVLQ RIEXGJHWDQGGRPHVWLFFXOLQDU\$VIRUWKHPHVVKDOOVRPHGLVKHVIRUPH DUHJRRGVRPHDUHEHWWHU&RPHRQJX\V1RWKLQJLVFKHDSHUWKDQIUHH 2XU ORYLQJ JRYHUQPHQW VSRQVRUV RXU PRXWKZDWHULQJ VKLSFODVV PHQX VR KRZDERXWVRPHJUDWLWXGH"7KDQN\RX3UHVLGHQW1R\QR\
10. “MORE LIKES FOR THE GALLEON!!!” :HOOJX\VZH¶UHQRWHYHQFKDUJLQJ\RXDQ\SXEOLFDWLRQIHHVIRUXVWRKDYH monthly issues. Civilian schools charge their students for their publication DQGE\FRPSDULVRQWRRWKHUDFDGHPLHVZHGRQ¶WKDYHORWVRIIXQGLQJHLWKHU The least that each and everyone of us can do is to support ourselves much OLNHWKHZD\ZHVXSSRUWWKH&RUSV-XVWDIHZDUWLFOHVVXUYH\VSKRWRVDQG WKDW¶VDOO7KH*DOOHRQLVIRUDOORIXVVRDOLWWOHFKHHUXSLQ300$¶V2I¿FLDO )DFHERRN3DJHJRHVDORQJZD\WRLQVSLUHWKHVWDIIDQGNHHSRXUSXEOLFDWLRQ running.
Donâ€™t lose hope. Kung merong di nakakalimot, si God yun. Kasi kahit na anong pagtalikod natin sa kanya, pag nag turn back tayo andyan pa rin siya. Yung mga experiences, pinagdaanan natin, maging inspirasyon para maging mas strong sa pagharap sa buhay. Sa love naman, kahit anong challenge ang dumating, wag bumitaw. Accept mo siya ng buong-buo. Iyan ay isang pagpapatunay na mahal mo talaga yung tao.
...declared by the Vice-President for Academics, Capt John Leslie Romeo M Benedictos PMMA, last December 13, 2012 at the PMMA Grandstand during the Cadet’s Christmas Party and Beer-busting. The Corps of Midshipmen had their first “Pork Barrel”, a rare opportunity to nibble a part of their long lost civilian lives. At least 1,800 (one thousand eight hundred) bottles of beer flooded the parade ground and drowned the cadets of the Philippine Merchant Marine Academy to revelry.
ivilians might raise some eyebrows about this Beer-busting and say... “Kadete pa ba iyan? Nagiinuman sa Academy? Teka ang mahal ng binabayaran naming buwis para makapag-aral lang yang mga yan ah?!!” Don’t get us wrong respected Sirs and Ma’ams. This did not come from the government funds. The cadets agreed to pay for it. The Steering Committee, which is the overall overseer of intraschool activities, organized the long lost event and coordinated with the local dealers to get some foams. The term “Beer-busting” itself is just an exaggerated term. Each cadet was only allowed to drink up to three bottles of beer to prevent “ma-uy” in the midst of the celebration. As the song goes... “Wag kang uminom ng cerveza / Ito’y hindi inuming pambata / mag softdrinks ka na lang muna.” So those who do not drink beer were listed and given cola instead. “Wala namang pilitan, gusto lang natin ng kasiyahan.” This event is the sole time nirvana for beer-thirsted cadets who were never allowed and thus never drank any alcoholic beverages since the start of the academic year. The Regimental Rules and Regulations, which serves as the PMMA’s Constitution and Penal Code, strictly prohibits drinking or possession of alcohol inside the academy and even ashore. Violation of this rule warrants Termination of Training. This Alcohol Policy reflects the policies onboard merchant vessels, which are governed by specific company policies, which also limits or even outright bans the consumption of alcohol on board. Major shipping accidents such as the Exxon Valdez in 1989, which led to the enforcement of the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 in the U.S.A. was caused by intoxication. This particular incident obliged the company to pay around $US 1 billion in fines. Thus, early training in alcohol deprivation for the cadets helps them a lot to be more prepared for service as competent merchant marine officers.
All work and no play makes Jack dumb!!! The Beer-busting event is one of the very few in the School calendar wherein the boundaries of seniority is relaxed. The Acquaintance party is one of those events. However, the Beer-busting is exclusive for Midshipmen and seniors. No outsiders or dates allowed.
Party and Beer-busting Event. The night’s highlights included a 15 feet high bonfire, the Ultimation band, tug-of-war, raffle, a special performance of the 1CL Wartsila Section, PMMA Henyo and a surprise early Christmas gift from the PMMA President.
The projector screen on the stage suddenly flashed a message during the party. It came from the midshipmen under OOP Restriction, wishing the President Happy Holidays and wishing that they be granted parole. There was a mixed reaction in the crowd. That is until the Commandant of the DMA announced that President Ritual granted their request. Upon hearing this, everyone popped back into merry-making. 4CL Homecillada, one of the beneficiaries of the parole, immediately ran to the middle of the dance area, cartwheeled and did a frustrated vertical. The party just got even livelier! There was also a special performance from the cadettes who sang Richard Marx’s “Right here waiting”, “It’s my Life” by Bon Jovi and the Teeth’s “Laklak”. The Ultimation band, hired by the Steering committee, turned lethargic with their late 90’s and early 2000’s songs. Boring. However, the stage became truly alive around 2000H when Chief Officer George Anos took over the mike and performed songs from Maroon 5, Eminem and B.O.B. This alumnus from Class 2001, according to most Nautical cadets, is the coolest Tactical Officer around with his high energy stage performances and sharp-witted Nauticool Page on Facebook. The people on the dance floor doubled in size during his performance. There were free-falls, duets and “back-up dancers” in the scene.
´'RQ·WWHOOPHZKR\RXDUH'ULQN VRPHEHHUDQG,·OOWHOO\RXZKR\RX are!” Birds of the same feather flock together; Beers of the same maker stack together! On the other hand, this event also served as a discreet way of observing the cadets’ etiquette during social gatherings as well as an evalutaion of the general and individual dedication to discipline. In militarized societies like in the three Academies, as well as the international espionage communities, behavior under the influence of alcohol is tightly observed. Espionage operations can be compromised if the person conducting the intelligence mission squeals information while he is drunk. The Beer-busting event gave the senior cadets, as well as the Tactical Officers the identity of cadets who are high risk and highly tolerant under the influence of alcohol. The Corps of Midshipmen of Academic Year 20122013 maintained an acceptable display of behavior and tact during the event. As the night ended, no considerable reason to discontinue the revived tradition was observed. The event concluded at 0100H of December 14 2012. Cadets retired to their respective quarters after securing the site.
'LIIHUHQWVFKRROVGLIIHUHQWZD\VRIQDPLQJVHFWLRQV&DWKROLFVFKRROVQDPHWKHLUVLQKRQRURI6DLQWVRUYLUWXHV 3XEOLFVFKRROVKDYHDZLGHUUDQJHRIQRPHQFODWXUHKHURHVÀRZHUVDQLPDOVSUHVLGHQWVDQGRWKHUSHFXOLDULWLHV are commonly seen nailed above the beam of classroom doors. 6LQFHZHDUHDPDULWLPHVFKRROZHDOVRKDYHRXURZQV\VWHPRIQDPLQJVHFWLRQV)RXUWK&ODVVQDXWLFDOVHF WLRQVDUHQDPHGDFFRUGLQJWRRFHDQVDQGPDMRUVHDV$UFWLF$WODQWLF3DFL¿F&DULEEHDQ 7KHWKLUGFODVVVHF WLRQVDUHQDPHGDIWHUWKHFRQWLQHQWV$PHULFD$VLD$XVWUDOLD:DNDZDND :KLOHWKH¿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here has been a rise of academic performance on a large percentage of the section. Others stayed dormant EXW PRVW RI XV VSHFLDOO\ WKRVH ZKR UHDOO\ KDYH VXSH ULRULQWHOOLJHQFHDQGHQMR\HGDFDGHPLFUHFRJQLWLRQIURP their previous schools strived harder with the presence RI HTXDOO\ FRPSHWHQW FODVVPDWHV $W OHDVW ¿YH RI XV PDGHLWDV6WDU&DGHWV7RSWHQ ,WPDGHWKHVHFWLRQ proud and strengthened the Esprit de Corps among us. )URPEHLQJVHPLVWUDQJHUVZHSUHYLRXVO\ÀRFNHGZLWK RXU NDEDED\DQV DQG IRUPHU VHFWLRQPDWHV GXULQJ WKH ¿UVWIHZPRQWKV ZHWUDQVIRUPHGLQWREURWKHUVDQGVLV WHUVWKHUHZHUHWKUHHFDGHWWHVLQRXUVHFWLRQEDFNWKHQ DOORIWKHPGLGQRWPDNHLWWRWKHGHDGOLQHIRUHQUROPHQW WKLV$FDGHPLF\HDULQFOXGLQJWKH,URQ/DG\5H\HV DQG marched in a single cadence. Though not really in per fect cadence sometimes due to the fact that our col OHFWLYHKHLJKWUDQJHGIURP¶´GRZQWR¶´,WLVIRU this reason that sometimes our section “splits” into two SDUWV WKH 1RUWK DQG 6RXWK$PHULFD ,W ZDV QRWLFDEOH when we split. :LWKDWRWDOVWUHQJWKRIWKLUW\FDGHWVRXUVHFWLRQZDVD9/&&9HU\/DUJH&UXGH&DUULHU VHFWLRQDQGKDUYHVW atraso after atraso ZKHQZHSURFHHGWRTXDUWHUVPDLQO\EHFDXVHRXUVHQLRUVWKRXJKWWKDWZHDOORZRXWVLGHUVWR MRLQRXUSODWRRQ 2QHRIWKHEHVWKLJKOLJKWVRIEHLQJZLWK\RXUVHFWLRQLQWKH$FDGHP\LVWKHKatayan moments. Katay being an H[DJJHUDWHGWHUPIRUPDVVSXQLVKPHQWVFRUUHFWLYHPHDVXUHVUHSRUWLQJVRUSODWRRQUXQV7KHVHPRPHQWVRI DGYHUVLW\VWUHQJWKHQVWKHERQGVEHWZHHQPHPEHUVRIWKHJURXSDQGWHQGVWRUHYHDOHDFKRWKHUV¶WUXHFRORUV ³&RPHWKWKHKRXUFRPHWKWKHPDQ´,WDOVRVLOHQWO\DUUDQJHVWKHJURXSDFFRUGLQJWRWRXJKQHVV7KLVKHOSVWR PDLQWDLQRUGHULQWKHVHFWLRQ<RXUFODVVPDWHVZKRNQRZ\RXYHU\ZHOOZLOOVHUYHDV\RXUVWDELOL]HUVDQGSDFL ¿HUV 7KHVHFWLRQLQIURQWRIXVLVWKH)RXUWKFODVV3DFL¿F3UHYLRXVO\WKHFDGHWVEHORQJLQJWR3DFL¿FVHFWLRQLVUHDV VLJQHGWR$PHULFDVHFWLRQRQFHWKH\UHDFK7KLUGFODVV7KLVZDVZK\ZHZHUHFRQVLGHUHGDVWKH3DFL¿F¶V PRWKHU VHFWLRQ :KHQHYHU WKH\ DOVR KDYH WKHLU ERQGLQJ PRPHQWV VSRQVRUHG E\ RXU VHFWLRQ ZH VRPHWLPHV PDNHPRFNSODQHWLFNHWVIRUWKHPERXQGIRU$PHULFDZLWKKDQGSULQWHG³.DWD\3DFL¿F´&DWKD\3DFL¿F ORJRV 7KHLGHDZDVWKDW3DFL¿FJRHVWR$PHULFDWKHQ$PHULFDZLOO³Katay” them.
:H DOO JUHZ VWURQJHU PRUH PDWXUHG DQG PRUH VWDEOH EHFDXVH RI WKHVH ERQGLQJ PRPHQWV :KHQHYHU , HQ FRXQWHUHGKDUGVKLSVRQERDUG,EHFDPHWKDQNIXOWKDW,H[SHULHQFHGWKRVHFKDOOHQJHV,¶YHEHHQWKURXJKZRUVH (YHU\WKLQJHOVHLVDFDNHZDON 0RQWKVSDVVHGE\TXLFNO\$FTXDLQWDQFH3DUW\,QWUDPV0LGWHUPVWKHQ)LQDOVXQWLO&KULVWPDV&DUROV¿OOHGWKH DLUGXULQJPRUQLQJURDGUXQ,W¶VIXQWRFKDQW&KULVWPDVFDUROVLQVLGHWKH$FDGHP\:KHWKHULILW¶VGXULQJURDG run or bunotanVHVVLRQVGXULQJFOHDQLQJVWDWLRQVLWOLJKWHQVXSP\VSLULWDQGUHPLQGVPHWKDWWKHZRUOGLVVWLOO DKDSS\SODFH:HVWDUWHGPDNLQJbelen-belen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³+LQGLDNR'L\RVSDUDPDJSDWDZDG´
$QG LQ REVHUYDQFH RI )LOLSLQR WUDGLWLRQV WKH $FDGHP\ DOVR VSRQVRUV 6LPEDQJ *DEL 0LVD GH *DOOR LQ &DVWLOODQ &RFN 0DVVLQ(QJOLVK,WLVDVHULHVRIHDUO\PRUQLQJFHOHEUDWLRQV RI 0DVV FRQGXFWHG D IHZ GD\V EHIRUH &KULVWPDV 'D\ 7KH cold weather during this season and the fact that you have to ZDNHXSYHU\HDUO\WRDWWHQGDUHVRPHRIWKHVDFUL¿FHVPDGH LQKRQRURIWKLVWUDGLWLRQ2XWVLGHWKH$FDGHP\WKLVVRPHWLPHV HQGVXSLQWRFKLWFKDWZLWKIULHQGVZKRDOVRDWWHQGHGWKH0DVV $QG LQ FKRUXV ZLWK WKH SULHVW WRSLFV RI WKHVH FRQYHUVDWLRQV UDQJHGIURP³KRZKDUGWKH\WULHGWRZDNHXS´WR³KRZKDUGWKH\ are trying not to “tili” after seeing their crush who incidentally ZDVDOVRLQWKH&KXUFK,QRXUWRZQDVSHFLDOSURJUDPVWDUUHG by selected performers from local high schools perform in front RIWKHFURZGDIWHUZDUGV$PXOWLWXGHRIPHUFKDQGLVHVXFKDV SXWRELELQJNDKDOD\DJRWR\RVLNHQGLWRURWRWSDSXWRNDUH also available even during these early hours. With all these GLVWUDFWLRQV,GRQ¶WEHOLHYHDQ\RQHRXWVLGHWKH&KXUFKEXLOGLQJ FDQUHDOO\IRFXVRQWKH0DVVDQGVHUPRQRIWKH3ULHVW :DNLQJXSHDUO\LVQRWUHDOO\DELJGHDOIRUFDGHWV:HG :DNLQJXSHDUO\LVQRWUHDOO\DELJGHDOIRUFDGHWV:HGRWKDWHYHU\GD\:HDULQJRXU*2$%ODFNXQLIRUPVZH DWWHQGWKH+RO\0DVVLQDPDQQHUH[SHFWHGRIXVSURF DWWHQGWKH+RO\0DVVLQDPDQQHUH[SHFWHGRIXVSURFHHGLQJLQDQGRXWRIWKH&KDSHODOLJQHGDQGFDGHQFHG : G W W ON O G L WK O E WL W :HGRQRWWDONDPRQJRXUVHOYHVGXULQJWKHFHOHEUDWLRQWKDWZRXOGEHQXWV:HGRQ¶WHYHQWDONDPRQJRXUVHOYHV while in formation and especially during parades which lasts up to four hours so piping down for an hour is no sweat. $IWHUDOOLWLVWKHOHDVWWKDWZHFDQGRWRSD\UHVSHFWWRWKHWUXHHVVHQFHRIWKH<XOH7LGHVHDVRQ7KHPRPHQW RIVLOHQFHLQWKHFKDSHOJDYHXVSHDFHRIPLQG7KHQWKHUHZHJRDVNLQJ*RGWRIRUJLYHRXUVLQVJLYLQJHDFK RWKHURXUIHOORZ300$¶HUVDVLJQRISHDFHUHFHLYLQJWKHEOHVVLQJRIWKH/RUG:HVXSSRVHWKDWDOORIXVOHIWWKH FKDSHOZLWKFOHDQKHDUWV7KH$PHULFDVHFWLRQSURFHHGHGWRWKHIRUPDWLRQJURXQGDIWHUWKH0DVV ³$NRPDWHPDEDLWQDDNR'LPXQDDNRPDQJDQJDWD\6DNDQDODQJ´ The blessing was still fresh.
$OORIDVXGGHQD)RXUWKFODVVPDQFDPHRXWRIQRZKHUHUDQWRZDUGVRXUSODWRRQDQGVKRXWHGDWWKHWRSRIKLV voice: “THIRD CLASS ASUNGOT SIRQRWKLVUHDOQDPH
MIDSHIPMAN FOURTHCLASS PAPATAY-PATAY KUMILOS KAYA NA-ATRASODOVRQRWKLVUHDOQDPH
5(3257,1*$625'(5('6,5´ 7KHUHZDVDPRPHQWRIVLOHQFH$PHULFDVWRRGVWLOOLQWKHSUHVHQFHRIWKHEUDYHOLWWOHRQHZKRGDUHGWRUHSRUW DIWHUWKH0DVV,WZDVWRRVLOHQWDVLIDQDQJHOSDVVHGE\RXUSODWRRQ But the cats turned tiger once again. ³.80$/$6.$/$6.$1*$081$',72¶7.$.$6,0%$/$1*1$0,160$57<.$+$.$/$020$&$ &$55<21.$".$////$$$$$$666666 The bug scrammed in fear. He reported after Christmas.