(Pages : 4)
Reg. No. : .................................... Name : .........................................
Final Year B.A. Degree Examination, March 2009 Part – III : Group – III : ECONOMICS Paper – IV : Development Economics (Old Scheme – Prior to 2005 admission) Time : 3 Hours
Max. Marks : 100
Instruction: Answers may be written either in English or in Malayalam. I. Choose the correct answer (Write only the alphabet) : 1) E.F. Schumacher is associated with a) Capital intensive technique b) Labour intensive technique c) Intermediate technology
2) “Last industries first” is put forward by a) A.O. Hirschman b) Arthur Lewis
c) J.H. Bocke
3) Which policy aims at regulating the economy by regulating money supply ? a) Fiscal policy b) Monetary policy c) Public debt policy 4) “The state will whither away” under a) Capitalism b) Socialism 5) Which is not a growth agent ? a) Entrepreneur b) Innovators
c) Mixed Economy c) Market (5×1=5 Marks)
II. State whether true or false : 6) Balanced growth refers to simultaneous and harmonious development of all the sectors. 7) The theory of demographic transition consists of six stages of birth and death rates. P.T.O .
8) First five year plan started on 1st January 1951. 9) Social Dualism is associated with Joseph Schumpeter. (5×1=5 Marks)
10) Big Push Theory explains three types of indivisibilities. III. Fill in the blanks :
11) The idea of stagnation is put forward by _________ model. a) Keynesian b) Classical c) Lewis d) Marx’s 12) Case against Foreign Direct Investment is that _____________ a) FDI improves quality of products b) FDI exploits natural resources of poor countries c) FDI brings latest technology d) FDI develops high skills in importing country 13) The term ‘surplus value’ is related to __________ a) Leibenstein b) Todaro c) Rostow
14) __________ is the ‘produced means of production’. a) Land b) Labour c) Capital
15) __________ countries have high rate of capital formation. a) Underdeveloped b) Undeveloped c) Developed d) Developing (5×1=5 Marks) IV. Define any four of the following : 16) Economic Development. 17) Optimum Population. 18) Per capita income 19) Public Debt. 20) Capital Output Ratio.
V. Explain any seven of the following in not more than half a page each : 21) Define underdeveloped economy. 22) Economic Efficiency. 23) Human Development Index. 24) Define Fiscal Policy. 25) Human Resource Development. 26) Human Poverty Index. 27) Define Selective Credit Control Measures. 28) What is Balanced growth ? 29) Dual Economy.
30) Define Labour.
VI. Answer any six in not more than one page each : 31) Physical Quality of Life Index. 32) Harrod-Domar Model. 33) Vicious Circle of Poverty. 34) Big Push Theory.
35) Unbalancing the Economy with Social Overhead Capital. 36) Income Depressing Factors. 37) Financial Dualism. 38) Population growth accelerates economic development. Discuss. 39) Objectives of Fiscal policy. 40) Effects of Deficit financing.
VII. Write essays on any three of the following each not exceeding three pages. 41) Lewis Model of Unlimited Supplies of Labour. 42) Measurement of economic development. 43) Features of an underdeveloped country. 44) Classical theory of economic development. 45) Role of monetary policy in economic development. 46) Indiaâ€™s strategies to achieve the objectives of Five Year Plans. (3Ă—10=30 Marks) ______________
1251 *1251* Final Year B.A. Degree Examination, March 2009 Part – III : Group – III : ECONOMICS Paper – IV : Development Economics (Old Sche...