(Pages : 3)
Reg. No. : ................................. Name : .....................................
B.A. Supplementary Degree Examination, August/September 2009 Part III Group III Economics Paper VI Optional (i) : BANKING AND PUBLIC ECONOMICS (New Scheme 2005 Admn. Onwards) Time: 3 Hours
Max. Marks: 100
Instruction : Answer may be written either in English or in Malayalam. I. Choose the correct answer. Write only the alphabet. 1) Which budget in India is passed separately ? a) Defence b) Airlines c) Atomic Energy
2) The principle of maximum social advantage was given by a) Ricardo b) Dalton c) A.C. Pigon d) Marshall
examquestionpapers.com 3) Education is a a) Mixed good c) Merit good
b) Private good d) Demerit good
4) The Chairman of the XII Finance Commission was a) Sri. K. Santharam b) Prof. C. Rangarajan c) Prof. Kushroo d) Mahavir Tyagi 5) When the tax is shifted from customers to producers we call it as a) backward shifting b) forward shifting c) both a and b d) none of the above (5×1=5 Marks) II. State True or False. 6) During the period of inflation the government should adopt deficit financing. 7) When tax rate of taxation increases as tax base increases, it is known as progressive tax rate. 8) Grants-in-aid from central to state government are to be re-paid. 9) Budget should be presented annually. 10) Taxes are compulsory payments.
(5×1=5 Marks) P.T.O.
III. Fill in the blanks : 11) The chairman of the Tenth finance commission was _________ [K.C. Pant/A.M. Kushroo] 12) Which of the following sources is of external borrowing ? [RBI/IMF] 13) Modern government are called as _________ [Welfare/Profit] 14) _________ budget is adopted at the time of depression. [Deficit Budget/Surplus Budget] 15) The Reserve Bank of India came into force in [1945/1950]
IV. Define any four of the following :
16) Public finance
17) Surplus budget
18) Finance Commission 19) Income tax 20) RBI.
V. Answer any seven of the following in not more than half a page each : 21) Types of Budget. 22) External borrowings. 23) Public debt. 24) Relationship between monetary and fiscal policy. 25) Indirect taxes. 26) Sources of public borrowings. 27) Write a short note on fiscal deficit.
28) Excise duty. 29) Objectives of budgetary policy. 30) Commercial Bank.
VI. Answer any six of the following each not more than one page : 31) Explain the nationalisation of commercial banks. 32) Explain the structure of local bodies in India. 33) Write a note on public debt. 34) Write a short note on commodity taxation. 35) What are the connon of taxation ? 36) Explain briefly the three fiscal functions. 37) How fiscal policy can be used to combat inflation ? 38) What is the role of government in a mixed economy ?
39) What are the different classifications of public debt in India ? 40) Briefly explain the functions of Central bank.
VII. Answer any three of the following not exceeding three pages each : 41) Discuss the various functions of RBI. 42) Critically evaluate the methods of credit control of RBI. 43) Describe the principles of public debt management. What are the methods used for redemption of public debt ? 44) Discuss how the fiscal federalism is observed in centre-state financial relation in India. 45) Discuss the role of public debt in UDCS and developing economy. 46) Explain the principle of maximum social advantage with reference to Dalton and Mus grave. (10×3=30 Marks) _______________
Published on Jul 13, 2012
Time: 3 Hours Max. Marks: 100 Instruction : Answer may be written either in English or in Malayalam. *7083* B.A. Supplementary Degree Examin...