Assembly Instructions and Safety Recommendations for Metal Expansion Joints
In order to ensure that the Expansion Joint work properly and in order to prolong its working life, it is necessary to respect a series of precautions that make the Expansion Joints almost maintenance free elements. The most important precautions that must be observed are as follows:
Installation: 1. Care should be taken to avoid any damage to the bellows such as dents, scores, arc strikes and weld splatters.
2. $Q\¿HOGSUHSRVLWLRQLQJRUSUHVHWWLQJFDUULHGRXWZKHQ installing the Expansion Joints must be performed in DFFRUGDQFHZLWKWKHVSHFL¿FLQVWUXFWLRQVVXSSOLHGE\ MACOGA, including both the direction and magnitude of the movement.
When in doubt about an installation procedure please contact MACOGA Technical Department before attempting to install the expansion joint. MACOGA’s warranty may be void if improper installation procedures have been used. MACOGA expansion joints are maintenance free.
tude as laid out in the instructions supplied by MACOGA. The Expansion Joints should not be stretched or com pressed in order to absorb any defects along the length of the pipe or to rectify any misalignments unless this was taken into account during the initial design and the manu facturing process.
4. 2QFHWKH([SDQVLRQ-RLQWKDV¿QDOO\EHHQLQVWDOOHGDQG secured, all of the shipping devices, if any, must then be removed and not before.
5. 7KH([SDQVLRQ-RLQWPXVWEH¿WWHGDFFRUGLQJWRWKHGLUHF WLRQRIÀRZLQUHODWLRQWRWKHLQWHUQDOVOHHYH
Post installation inspection prior to system pressure test: 1. &KHFNWKDWWKH([SDQVLRQ-RLQWKDVEHHQ¿WWHGLQWKH correct place.
2. Check that the Expansion Joint has been correctly insta OOHGZLWKUHJDUGVWRWKHGLUHFWLRQRIÀRZ
3. Check that all shipping devices have been removed. 4. Check that all of the supporting structures and anchora ge have been correctly installed as planned.
5. Check that there are no misalignments in the Expansion Joint.
Assembly Instructions and Safety Recommendations for Metal Expansion Joints Inspection during and immediately after system pressure test: 1. Check that there are no leaks and no loss of pressure. 2. Check that the bellows are stable. 3. Check that all of the anchorage, guides, Expansion Joints and other components of the system are secure and resistant.
Periodic in-service inspection: 1. Check to see if the Expansion Joints in the manner for which they were designed are absorbing the movements.
2. Check for any unexpected vibrations. 3. Check for the existence of any signs of external corro sion, slack mechanical components (screws, tie rods, etc.) and also check that the anchorage points, guides, etc. are in perfect working order.
4. Check that dust and other particles haven’t built up between the convolutions of the Expansion Joint as this could limit or restrict its movement.
When in doubt about an installation procedure please contact MACOGA technical department before attempting to install the expasion joint. 1. Inspect for possible damage during shipment, i.e., dents, broken hardware, water marks on carton, etc.
2. Avoid damaging the bellows with knocks that can cause dents on the convolutions, strikes, weld spatters, etc.
3. 'RQRW¿[DQ\FKDLQVRUURSHVWRWKHEHOORZVVHF tion.
4. Avoid any movement of the Expansion Joint with its ends misaligned or beyond the limits established at the time of supply, as regards magnitude of move ment, maximum angle, etc.
5. Install the Expansion Joint in the proper length as recommended by MACOGA.
6. 3UHVHWWLQJVWREHFDUULHGRXWLQDFFRUGDQFHZLWK the established limits, which include direction and magnitude of movement.
7. Use only designated lifting lugs. 8. Install the Expansion Joint pointing in the direction RIÀRZLQUHODWLRQWRWKHLQWHUQDOVOHHYH
9. Remove all shipping devices (yellow colour painted) after the installation is complete and before any pressure test of the fully installed system.
10. Never exceed the permissible test pressure. The above recommendations are included to avoid the most common error that occur during installation.