María Guadalupe López Arroyo Podcast series project
1. What is slavery? (General concept, a bit of history, examples)
2. Does slavery still exists in the modern world? Why? Why not? 3. What makes a person a slave? 4. Do slaves “choose” to be slaves?
5. Why do some people want to have slaves? 6. Mention modern forms of slavery. Describe examples. 7. Has there been slavery in Mexico?
8. Is there slavery in Mexico nowadays? 9. How can slavery be prevented? 10. Do movies and TV series depict slaves accurately?
11. What would you do if you were a slave against your will? 12. Are there more male or female slaves? Why? 13. What’s a suitable punishment for people who trade with slaves? Why?
ALL THE TEAMS
The students will answer these questions using reliable sources. They can begin with the following:
Ted Talks – Photos that bear witness to modern slavery (http://www.ted.com/talks/lisa_kristine_glimpses_of_modern_day_slavery.html)
The Guardian – Modern day slavery (http://www.guardian.co.uk/globaldevelopment/audio/2013/apr/18/global-development-podcast-modern-day-slavery)
iTunes – Human trafficking and modern slavery (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/human-trafficking-modern-slavery/id518800797)
Discovery Education - Understanding slavery (http://school.discoveryeducation.com/schooladventures/slavery/)
Africa’s legacy in Mexico (http://smithsonianeducation.org/migrations/legacy/almleg.html)
Published on May 8, 2013