ENGLISH Blackline Master Assessment Book
Contents Program Overview
Nouns 1 Adjectives 3
Pronouns 5 Verbs 9
Adverbs 17 Prepositions 19 Sentences 21 Conjunctions & Interjections
Punctuation & Capitalization
ÂŠ Loyola Press. Exercises in Englishâ€ƒ Level G
Assessment • Circle the letter of the correct answer.
1. Which sentence contains the correct form of a plural noun? a. Several gooses are swimming in the lake. b. What supplys do we need for the hike? c. There are ten tiny fishes in this tank. d. These chimneys are black with soot.
7. Which sentence has the subject complement underlined? a. This watch is the most expensive. b. The designer of the dress is she. c. Lara is a girl from my dance class. d. This man’s story is unbelievable.
2. Which sentence contains one singular noun and two plural nouns? a. Ana made the most delicious banana bread. b. They and I have been friends for a long time. c. The raccoon scurried into those bushes. d. Steven is cutting the carrots and potatoes.
8. Which sentence has the subject complement underlined? a. That man is a renowned scientist. b. The principal is Corina’s mother. c. The movie’s ending was a surprise. d. This novel is part of a popular series.
3. Which sentence contains the correct form of two plural nouns? a. Those firefighters are true heros. b. I cut the lemons into halves. c. Their patioes are shaded by trees. d. Put the dishs and silverware in the sink. 4. Which sentence does NOT contain an irregular plural noun? a. These shoes make my feet hurt. b. We record several different television series. c. Two oxen are pulling the cart up the hill. d. Place these benches next to the picnic table. 5. Which sentence contains the correct form of a plural compound word? a. Their mother-in-laws can sit at this table. b. Who was responsible for these break-ins? c. I planted forgets-me-not in the garden. d. The maid-of-honor is wearing lavender. © Loyola Press. Exercises in English Level G
6. Which sentence has the simple subject underlined? a. We will ride the bus to the beach. b. Everyone enjoyed the slumber party. c. That is the entrance to the mall. d. Those boys are my older brothers.
9. Which sentence has the simple subject underlined? a. Splashing in the waves, the children are happy. b. Several students were late today. c. The excited fans brought banners and signs. d. A family of squirrels lives inside this tree. 10. Which sentence contains a direct object? a. I filled my bowl with oatmeal and raisins. b. My dog jumped over the gate. c. Mrs. Wu is speaking about the new rules. d. The parrots are flying above the trees.
11. Which sentence has an indirect object? a. The diver is twisting and spinning in the air. b. Mrs. Williams walked him to the door. c. I wrapped the gift with a large pink bow. d. We left the waitress a generous tip.
12. Which sentence has the indirect object underlined? a. Lisa happily showed Gail her new ring. b. I am making my friends picture frames. c. He will send each guest a thank-you note. d. Dad handed Mom the newspaper. 13. Which sentence has the object of a preposition underlined? a. When Jasmin is nervous, she bites her nails. b. The chef seasoned the soup with salt. c. Chris and I went to the gym. d. The cherry pie is sitting on the counter.
14. Which sentence does NOT contain an object complement? a. They called the company’s president a visionary. b. We elected Kelli president of the club. c. Julio and Rosa named their son Ruben. d. The ink cartridge in the printer needs to be replaced. 15. Which sentence has the object complement underlined? a. I considered the purchase a real bargain. b. Let’s name the smallest kitten Tiny. c. They designated Tina the group leader. d. We called their rescue a miracle.
16. Which sentence contains an appositive? a. I need to buy pens, pencils, and paper. b. Gia brought snacks, and I rented a movie. c. Dave’s car, a blue van, is parked outside. d. The phone was ringing, but he didn’t hear it. 17. Which sentence has the appositive underlined? a. Tom Hanks, a popular actor, is in this movie. b. My friend Sarah plays in the marching band. c. Derek fulfilled his dream, playing in the NBA. d. She sang the song “Hero” for her audition. 18. Which sentence contains a nonrestrictive appositive? a. His goal, a job as a pediatrician, would require years of training. b. Your friend Matt is a great storyteller. c. Lourdes is reading a book, and I am watching television. d. We donated dog food, blankets, and toys to the animal shelter. 19. Which sentence contains a restrictive appositive? a. His brother Kyle is a karate instructor at this school. b. Abby’s aunt, the woman in the red hat, is being honored today. c. Mom asked Britney to put the clothes in the washing machine. d. Nina planted the flowers, and my dad watered them.
20. Which sentence contains a plural possessive noun? a. We will review the committee’s report. b. This is the receptionist’s desk. c. Do you know the new student’s name? d. He is taking the witnesses’ statements. 21. Which sentence contains a singular possessive noun? a. His assistant’s office is down the hall. b. Where is the women’s restroom? c. The parents’ meeting begins at six o’clock. d. Tania enjoys visiting her friends’ homes. 22. Which sentence contains the correct form of a plural possessive noun? a. His wife’s name is Alyssa. b. These are her sister’s-in-law dresses. c. The childrens’ snacks are on the table. d. The singers’ performances were amazing. 23. Which sentence shows separate possession? a. Chase and Eric’s dog does tricks. b. Jamie’s and Alana’s shirts are pink. c. both of the above d. none of the above 24. Which sentence shows separate possession? a. Nick and Nate’s home is down the street. b. Dev and Nahla’s children are playing together. c. both of the above d. none of the above 25. Which sentence shows joint possession? a. Tameka and Serena’s report was informative. b. Joel’s and Evan’s arguments were persuasive. c. both of the above d. none of the above
© Loyola Press. Exercises in English Level G
Published on Sep 28, 2012
Published on Sep 28, 2012
Book of blackline masters for each level of Exercises in English that provides a formal assessment for each chapter in the Student Book. An...