Page 1


The Answer Book

Contents WElcomE To loNGWood 1 Introduction GETTING STARTEd 2 5 7 8 9 10 11 HomE SWEET loNGWood 13 15 25 27 28 29

New Student Checklist Course Registration 1839 Experience New Lancer Days Transfer Student Welcome Programs Peer Mentors Civitae Core Curriculum

1 Getting Started

Transportation FAQs Residential and Commuter Life Dining LancerCard Longwood Police Department Disability Resources

AcAdEmIcS 31 33 34 35 36 37 38

Registrar All About Majors Center for Academic Success Alumni and Career Services Library Bookstore Steps to Student Success

41 45 46 48 49 50 51 52 53

Paying for Your Education Financial Aid Technology at Longwood Health and Wellness Counseling and Psychological Services Health and Fitness Center Dean of Students International Affairs Family Programs


lIVING THE lANcER lIfE 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62

Welcome to Farmville Longwood Traditions Athletics Student Union Fraternity and Sorority Life Diversity and Inclusion Citizen Leadership ROTC

INdEX 63 Index

13 Home Sweet Longwood




Lancer Resources



Living the Lancer Life


A great college experience Congratulations on your acceptance to Longwood University! Now that you have been admitted to Longwood, we expect that you have lots of questions about classes, residence halls, technology, parking, campus involvement, financial aid,  textbooks and much more. Fortunately, you can expect to find answers to those questions and many others in The Answer Book. This publication is a wonderful  resource and foundation for getting to know Longwood and the Farmville  community. Read on and become familiar with what Longwood University has  to offer to both families and students.

Welcome to the Lancer Life!

New Student Checklist Before you know it, it will be August and you will be arriving on campus as an official Longwood student! There is much to get done, and we can help. Below you’ll find a list of items that both students and families will need to take care of after depositing and prior to move-in day in August. As you prepare for your college journey, make sure you check off each line before Aug. 16.

o Check your Longwood email account regularly because it is the official means of communication between you and the university. If you are having  difficulty signing into your email account, contact the  Help Desk at 434.395.4357 or o Turn in your health record form. You can submit it through the Student Health Portal or mail it in to the University Health Center. Contact the University Health Center at 434.395.2102 if you have any questions. o Don’t forget to accept or decline your financial aid awards through the mylongwood portal ( o Check your electronic billing statements (Ebills)!  Bills are generated in early July. Contact the Office of Student Accounts at 434.395.2067 for more information.


G ET T I N G STA RTE d o Find out where you’re living! Housing assignments are issued in mid-July. Check your live email account for your assignment and then contact your roommate. Contact the Office of Residential and Commuter Life Office (RCL) for more information ( o Begin the 1839 Experience with your peer mentor. You will have the opportunity to communicate with your peer mentor through the Canvas portal in early August. o Families should register for e2Campus, Longwood’s text  and email alert system, online at o Take care of finances! Fall bills are due in early August.  See for the exact date. o Do you move in early? Students in the Cormier Honors College and the ODR Empowers program, as well as Dining Services staff and athletes, move in early. Contact your program coach,  supervisor or employer for more information. o Readmits and transfer students: Deadline to purchase parking decals is Aug. 24 at noon. o Review the “What Not to Bring” list on Page 19 of this book. o Review your move-in time and helpful tips on the Residential and Commuter Life website: o Head to Farmville on Aug. 16 to start your Longwood adventure.

You can also find other resources and information regarding your first year at Longwood on our website at


WELCOME We expect you’ll feel right at home.


Course Registration Incoming students will review classes for the fall 2018 semester during orientation. All students will meet in person with qualiďŹ ed faculty or sta members who will ensure that students are registered for the right courses to help them progress toward the desired degree. While Longwood can’t always guarantee that incoming students will be able to receive their preferred class dates and times, we do guarantee that students will be registered for all of the courses they need to make appropriate degree progress during the first semester at Longwood. Over the summer, students may think of additional questions about course registration or degree progress once their course registration is complete. If you have

any questions as you prepare to begin classes in the fall, please see the list on the opposite page to identify the appropriate person to contact. You can also contact the Office of the Registrar at 434.395.2580 or registrar@ for any questions or concerns regarding your schedule. Once you begin classes and are assigned a specific advisor, then he or she is your point of contact for any questions related to course scheduling.


College of Education and Human Services Education and Special Education • Dr. Kevin Doyle • 434.395.2328 • Health, Athletic Training, Recreation and Kinesiology • Dr. Rena Koesler • 434.395.2533 • Social Work and Communication Sciences and Disorders • Teresa Reynolds • 434.395.2996 •

College of Business and Economics All Business Majors • Danielle Hennessey • 434.395.2835 • All Pre-Business Majors • Office of the Registrar • 434.395.2580 •

Cook–Cole College of Arts and Sciences Biological and Environmental Sciences • Dr. Mark Fink • 434.395.2749 • Chemistry and Physics • Dr. Timothy Holmstrom • 434.395.2993 • Communication Studies • Dr. Naomi Johnson-Tsigaridas • 434.395.2230 • English and Modern Languages • Dr. Phillip Poplin • 434.395.2194 • History, Political Science and Philosophy • Dr. David Coles • 434.395.2220 • Liberal Studies • Dr. Gena Southall • 434.395.2362 • Mathematics and Computer Science • Dr. David Magill • 434.395.2155 • Music • Dr. Lisa Kinzer • 434.395.2494 • Nursing • Dr. Lee Bidwell • 434.395.2936 • Psychology • Dr. Stephanie Buchert • 434.395.2348 • Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice Studies • Dr. Jake Milne • 434.395.2531 • Theatre, Art, and Graphic and Animation Design • Christopher Register • 434.395.2286 •

Athletes All athletes should contact Hannah Ledger, director of student-athlete enhancement in the Department of Athletics, for assistance with course scheduling at 434.395.4918 or Her office is located in Tabb 103.



1839 Experience The 1839 Experience is an opportunity for incoming students and their peer mentors to communicate before coming to campus. You will be introduced to Canvas, an online learning tool, to discuss important topics about college life and to form relationships with other students. This program aids new students by providing them with information about the university and a forum for discussions on a number of topics including academics, involvement, services and resources. Peer mentors, who are a big resource for you as a new student, play a vital role in the 1839 Experience and in your freshman year. Your peer mentor will invite you to the Canvas site and correspond with you and your fellow Lancers. This program begins in early August through move-in day and New Lancer Days. When you arrive on campus, you will already have established

communication with your classmates and peer mentor, which will help you get acclimated to college more quickly. The 1839 Experience program is broken down into themes or topics that are created by the First Year Experience team in partnership with campus resources. The themes are designed to give you important information about Longwood and to answer your questions before you arrive on campus in August. The Office of Student Success will monitor new students’ interaction with peer mentors to ensure that they are satisfying their role and responsibilities. In addition, the office may track new students’ participation and determine which topics they are most interested in learning about and which areas are challenging. This will allow us to shape future programs to better cover needs that are not currently being met.

Themes Technology @ Longwood Academics and Academic Support Involvement and Opportunities


New Lancer Days 2018 First Friday Back and The G.A.M.E. You are invited to attend the eighth annual G.A.M.E. (the Greatest Athletics March Ever!) on Friday, Aug. 24. We hope you will join us for this special event!! The G.A.M.E. begins with a rally for the entire student body in Willett Hall. The rally is followed by a spirited march of students, faculty, staff and community members from Willett Hall to the Athletics Complex on Johnston Drive across from Longwood House, home of the Longwood University president. The G.A.M.E. is the only place you can get your official Longwood Scarf! Please join us for an energy-packed and fun-filled kickoff to the fall semester! More information about The G.A.M.E. will be available online at studentunion in mid-August.

Thursday, Aug. 16, through Sunday, Aug. 19 The ďŹ rst four days of the best four years of your life!

New Lancer Days is one of the first traditions that you will be taking part in as a Longwood student! New Lancer Days begins on Thursday evening after all firstyear students have arrived on campus. New Lancer Days is especially designed to acclimate new students to Longwood and university living while helping them make friends that will last a lifetime. During New Lancer Days, you will attend sessions on Longwood traditions and safety, learn about the campus and community resources, and attend your first Longwood Seminar class. There will be evening activities such as a night of Lancer tailgating at our Student Union and much more. Your attendance during New Lancer Days is mandatory. A more detailed schedule of events will be posted on

the First Year Experience and Family Programs website: newstudent in mid-August. You will be with your peer mentor and class throughout the weekend. Your peer mentor, an upper-class Longwood student, will attend all of the programs with you, introducing you to cool things on campus. (See Page 10 for more information about the peer mentor staff.) Although your schedule will be busy, you will have more than enough time to explore campus on your own, settle into your room and head over to the Longwood Bookstore/ Barnes & Noble to pick up your books! We will be excited to see you all on Thursday, Aug. 16! It will be an exciting weekend that will gear you up for an awesome four years here. See you soon!

more information, including a schedule of events, will be posted to the first Year Experience website in mid-August:



Transfer students are encouraged to attend New Lancer Days Thursday, Aug. 16, through Sunday, Aug. 19 Transfer students are invited to attend any or all of the programs that are part of New Lancer Days. A transfer student peer mentor will be available to you during this weekend. You can meet other students and attend the events as a group along with your peer mentor. Additional information about New Lancer Days will be sent to your Longwood email address in early August. New Lancer Days are an extended orientation program designed to help you become better acclimated to the Longwood community. Transfer students are strongly encouraged to attend the Honor and Integrity Ceremony scheduled for Friday, Aug. 17. The Honor and Integrity Ceremony is one of the oldest and most respected Longwood traditions. At the

ceremony, the university president, faculty members and members of the Honor Board will address new students about the importance of the Honor Code at Longwood. After learning about the Honor Code, students will make a pledge to uphold the Honor Code during their tenure at the university and sign their Honor Code pledge cards. If you are not able to attend either of the Honor and Integrity Ceremonies due to a work or family obligation, please stop by the Office of Student Conduct and Integrity early in the fall semester and sign your Honor Code pledge card. For more information, contact that office at 434.395.2490. A full schedule of events will be available online at transfer-students.


Peer Mentor Staff What can your peer mentor help with? Study skills Campus resources Student involvement Knowledge of Longwood traditions Time management Homesickness Student-to-student advice


Peer mentors are successful upper-class students who are well-versed with the institution. Peer mentors serve the first-year student population through their willingness to provide support with transitional issues, dedication to improving the Longwood community and their goal to make a difference. They understand what it is like to be a new student and all of the questions and concerns that come with that experience. Peer mentors are an invaluable resource for you. You will meet peer mentors during Orientation during New Lancer Days. Students interested in the role of peer mentor endure a rigorous selection process during the spring semester. This process ensures that they are well-suited for the position and title of peer mentor. Many first-year students become interested in this role after completing their freshman experience.


The Civitae Core Curriculum Civitae, the set of classes that form the foundation of a Longwood education, is the cornerstone of academic life on campus. Built on the principles that form citizen leaders—the central mission of Longwood for nearly two centuries— Civitae encourages a sense of exploration of unresolved civic issues from a variety of perspectives as you learn to creatively problem-solve, work collaboratively, communicate effectively, and think about the world in a deeper, more complex way. Civitae is infused throughout a student’s four-year Longwood career, building knowledge and perspectives and culminating in a senior-level seminar that challenges you to think critically about issues citizens face in their communities. Along with your major course of study, Civitae prepares you not only for a career, but also for life as a contributing citizen and community member. Three distinct stages make up a Longwood student’s path through Civitae. Foundations First-year students take two courses: Inquiry into Citizenship and Writing & Rhetoric, which form the basis of Civitae. At the same time, they begin taking a set of courses called Pillars, which explore different disciplines and provide the broad based education that is the hallmark of the liberal arts and sciences.

Perspectives Perspectives courses challenge students to bring together the knowledge learned at the Foundations level to encourage critical and reflective thought about civic and social issues. The courses represent not only some of the most exciting teaching at Longwood, but also shape students’ understanding of the complexities of the world by allowing them to develop and articulate perspectives essential to civic life. Symposium The culmination of Civitae, the Symposium is an in-depth study of citizenship and the issues communities face at the local, regional, or global level. These issues could range from environmental sustainability to civil rights to the role of technology in society. Students draw on the knowledge and skills gained through Civitae to explore and collaborate on how to address these issues. The Symposium prepares students to tackle the challenges and issues they will face as professionals and as citizens.



Hom E SWE ET loN GWo od

Transportation FAQs Airports Students and families use six airports most often to travel to Farmville. Common methods of travel from airports to Farmville include a Greyhound bus, taxi service, airport shuttle service and rides from friends. Airport

Airport Code

Estimated Driving Distance to Farmville

Lynchburg Regional Airport


1 Hour

Richmond International Airport


1.5 Hours

Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport


2 Hours

Raleigh-Durham International Airport


2.5 Hours

Washington Dulles International Airport


3.5 Hours

Reagan National Airport


3.5 Hours

Shuttles Home for Breaks

Farmville Area Bus

Longwood has partnered with BreakShuttle to offer a round-trip shuttle service for Longwood students traveling home during campus breaks to the Northern Virginia, Richmond and Tidewater regions of Virginia. These tickets are available during fall, Thanksgiving and spring breaks for students on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information or to purchase tickets online, please visit or call 434.395.2103.

The Farmville Area Bus (FAB) service provides transportation throughout Farmville seven days a week. Longwood students ride the FAB for free by showing their Lancer ID when boarding. The Campus Line travels back and forth to campus in half-hour intervals. For additional information on the FAB’s schedule, please visit the Farmville Area Bus website at farmville-area-bus.



Hom E SWE ET loN GWo od

Residential and Commuter Life lancaster G13 phone: 434.395.2080 email: The Office of Residential and Commuter Life (RCL) supports inclusive learning and living environments that foster students’ intellectual, personal and social development. We work to provide services to students who live in our traditional residence halls, our Longwood Universitymanaged apartments and off campus. Do I have to live on campus? As part of its distinctive academic mission, Longwood is a residential institution and strives to provide a variety of housing options for all full-time undergraduate students who wish to live in Longwood-managed housing. As part of the Longwood experience, most undergraduate students live in Longwood-managed housing during their first two years, typically in our traditional main campus residence

halls. There are some exceptions to the residency requirement. Minimum Credit Hour Requirement To maintain our commitment to an educational residence hall environment, residential students are required to maintain a class load of 12 credit hours per semester. There are a limited number of exceptions to this policy including but not limited to medical reasons, military service-connected commitments and family emergencies. Requests for exceptions require approval from the Residential and Commuter Life office. Commuting Distance Guidelines The majority of Longwood freshmen live on campus. However, students may live at home with parent(s) or legal


What will my residence hall and room look like? floor plan information is available on the Rcl website: residential-students

Roommate Requests Assignment information for new main campus freshmen, transfer and readmitted residents will be communicated via the student’s Longwood email account in July. Once assignments have been made, changes are difficult. Typically, students who correctly follow the procedures should be housed with their mutual roommate. Please know that every effort will be made to honor mutual roommate requests (if the requests are properly submitted online),but due to space availability this is not guaranteed.


guardian(s) if their residency is within the eight local counties (Amelia, Appomattox, Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Lunenburg, Nottoway or Prince Edward). A written appeal must be submitted to the Residential and Commuter Life Appeals Committee for residences outside these counties or traveling distances greater than 45 miles from campus.

students). In addition to double-occupancy rooms, there are limited triple and transitional rooms with a semiprivate bathroom (shared with four to six other students). A limited number of single rooms with private bathrooms are available. Accommodations also include electric, sewer, water, furniture and connections for local telephone, basic cable and Internet.

How do I apply to live on campus? Students will complete the housing and meal plan application during Orientation. If you are accepted late in the summer and do not have an opportunity to attend an orientation session, please contact the RCL office at The housing and meal plan applications will be processed after all of the summer orientation sessions have occurred, which means that attending an earlier session does not guarantee first choice of residence hall.

Which residence halls are air-conditioned? All main campus residence halls are airconditioned.

Where do freshmen live on campus? There are several traditional residence halls available to freshmen on the main Longwood campus. The buildings included are ARC (all female), Cox, Curry, Register, Sharp and Wheeler. Assignments typically involve double-occupancy rooms with semiprivate bathrooms (shared with three to six other

How are residence halls and rooms assigned? Students whose disability-related housing accommodations are approved by Disability Resources are assigned first. Students with a mutual roommate request will be assigned based on residence hall space availability and submitted preferences. Mutual roommate requests are not guaranteed, but RCL will make every attempt to honor these requests. Students without a mutual roommate request will complete a roommate-matching questionnaire and will be assigned based on residence hall space availability, submitted preferences and roommate-matching criteria. RCL does not allow students to request suitemates.

Hom E SWE ET loN GWo od

What is the process if I require special accommodations? Enrolled residential students who have a health condition or a medical treatment plan that requires special consideration for a main campus assignment should complete a Health Needs Request form. New fall 2018 residents must submit this form before 5 p.m. on June 29. Students who also need classroom accommodations should not submit the special Health Needs Request form but should instead submit Accommodation Documentation through the Office of Disability Resources. Health requests must be submitted annually in order to be considered prior to the residence hall assignment process. Submitting a written request does not automatically guarantee that accommodations will be available. Medical documentation regarding specific accommodation needs must be submitted to the director of the Office of Disability Resources. Information about submission procedures can be found at or by calling 434.395.2391 for more information. Disability Resources provides RCL with the approved list, and those assignments are made based on the recommendation of Disability Resources. Are single-room accommodations available? A very limited number of single rooms are available in our residence halls. Typically,

only those students whose names are forwarded to RCL by Disability Resources are assigned these rooms. A limited number of single rooms with a community bathroom are available to upper-division students in South Ruffner Hall. For additional information about the freshman room-assignment process, please see Page 19. When and how will I be notified of my residence hall and my roommate? You will be notified of your residence hall and roommate assignment at your official Longwood email address in early July. Longwood University uses student email addresses ( as the official means of communication with students after orientation. Lancer Card Required A student ID is necessary to access your assigned residence hall or to enter the dining hall. Your Lancer Card should be carried at all times and should be presented if requested by a Longwood official. Residents who attend orientation during the summer will be issued their student IDs at that time. Students who didn’t attend orientation should go to the Lancer Card Office (Coyner G-10 or designated location) as soon as they arrive on campus. The office will be open during opening weekend as well as its usual weekday hours.

Please Note In accordance with Longwood University policy, any student with an outstanding bill will not be permitted to move into the residence halls or to use his or her dining plan. Specific questions regarding outstanding bills can be directed to Cashiering and Student Accounts (434.395.2274) or Financial Aid (434.395.2077). It is also important to note that students who accumulate outstanding bills after they have moved into the halls will not be allowed to continue residency.

moving In To ensure that our residence hall opening process runs smoothly, we ask students to strictly adhere to the following timeline. New Students Students can check into their residence halls on Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018. Additional information will be provided in the assignment notification. Early Arrivals Students participating in athletics, Cormier Honors College, ODR, or who work in the dining hall can check into their residence halls before other students. Actual dates will be communicated via email. Follow the check-in instructions provided by the coach or work program coordinator.


What should I bring to campus? The following items are recommended by the Rcl staff. What items are provided in my residence hall room by the university?

• Alarm Clock • Backpack

• Bunkable twin bed with extra long mattress (most are 80” x 36”)

• Bathrobe • Bicycle with durable lock

• Desk (most desk tops are 43”x 25”) • Bedspread /blanket • Desk chair • Blocks to elevate bed (plastic bunking blocks only; no electric sockets or USB ports)

What Longwood-approved appliances are allowed in my residence hall room?

• Dresser (most dresser tops are 35”x 20”)

• Camera

• Air popcorn poppers

• Overhead light

• Can opener

• Blenders or mixers

• Carpet or scatter rugs

• Bread machines

• Cleaning supplies

• Crockpots

• Clothes drying rack

• Dehumidifiers

• Coat hangers

• Electric can opener

• Coax cable

• Desk lamp (must be non-halogen)

• Musical equipment and amplification devices (of an acceptable level), surround sound speakers, flat screen TV (however, no wall-mounted TV models)

• Fan

• Rice cookers

• Flashlight (with extra batteries)

• Steamers

• Iron/ironing board

• Vacuum cleaner, electric broom sweepers

• Laundry basket and detergent

• Vaporizers

• Computer

• Closet or wardrobe space

Longwood furniture must remain in your room at all times.

• Microwave (less than 1000 watts) • Power strips or multiplug devices with circuit breaker/surge protector

Residents may also bring the following UL approved appliances if they are equipped with auto shutoff.

• Pictures/posters 1 • Coffeepots • Clothes iron or steamers • Plants • Curling irons • Postage stamps • Hair dryers

• School supplies • Shower shoes • Stereo (with headphones) • Storage boxes or footlocker • Television • Toiletries • Towels/washcloths • Twin extra long sheets • Umbrella • Utensils


that may be posted on doors, wall, and windows is significantly restricted. The Offices of Environmental

• Pillow(s)

• Refrigerator (not to exceed 4.6 cubic feet)

1. Due to the commonwealth of Virginia’s Fire Code regulations, the amount of combustible material

• Air purifiers

Health and Safety and Residential and Commuter Life can provide students with more specific information regarding this policy.

Hom E SWE ET loN GWo od

Do not bring these items. • Air conditioners

• Personal door locks

• Alcohol (if the student is under 21) or drugs (except drugs prescribed to the student)2

• Pets (other than fish). Aquariums are limited to no more than 10 gallons.

• Antennas or satellite dishes • Bunsen burners or hot plates (including but not limited to George Foreman grills, griddles or electric skillets, electric woks, fondue pots or chocolate fountains, s’mores makers, waffle irons, and sandwich or quesadilla makers) • Candles and candle warmers (including plug-in air fresheners)

• Pressurized canisters (CO2 used for scuba or paintball equipment, spray paint cans and helium tanks). Exclusions are approved medical equipment (oxygen cylinders). • Toasters or toaster ovens • Wall-mounted shelving, furniture or fixtures • Waterbeds • Weapons3 (including martial arts practice equipment)

• Curtains, draperies, hangings and other suspended decorative materials that are not treated to be flame-resistant.

2. Alcohol is not permitted on any freshman floor

• Deep fryers (Fry Daddy)

or in Curry Residence Hall. Alcohol is also prohibited from all residence hall rooms where there are no

• Double-sided foam tape or duct tape

residents of legal drinking age.

• Electric heaters or electric blankets • Empty alcohol containers (for decoration) • Extension cords • Fireworks, explosives, unsafe and or flammable chemicals/liquids (including charcoal lighter fluid) • Fog machines • Halogen lamps (any model or style) • Hoverboards/self-propelled scooters • Individually owned (personal) large appliances including stove ranges, washers/dryers, freezers, dishwashers • Incense • Hot pots/soup warmers • Lanterns • Laser beams/pointers • Lava lamps • Lighter fluid or charcoal that contains starter fluids • LP (propane) gas grill canisters • Oil lamps

freshman RoomAssignment Process

3. Any firearms (including re-enactment weapons) and other hunting weapons (knives, bows, arrows, etc.) can be registered and stored at Campus Police.

According to the commonwealth of Virginia state guidelines, only students of the same gender may be housed together. Students who require special medical accommodations may have to forfeit roommate choice in lieu of a necessary accommodation. New first-time freshmen are housed with other first-year residential students and cannot request to live with returning or transfer students. This also pertains to students who have earned credits through dual enrollment. Submission of the online housing and meal plan application is not a first-come, first-served process. However, this application must be submitted during orientation. Students who do not attend orientation will receive additional application instructions. Students are assigned to main campus residence halls on floors designated for freshmen. These floors are assigned to ARC (all female), Cox, Curry, Register, Sharp and Wheeler. First-year students in the Cormier Honors College are assigned by the director of the Honors College and will be housed in Wheeler. Freshmen who are 21 or older are eligible to be assigned to residence halls or apartment accommodations where vacancy permits. Requests for these accommodations should be submitted to RCL in writing prior to the end of orientation.

• Oil popcorn poppers • Personal ceiling fans/lights or dimmer switches


Tobacco and Alcohol All university-managed properties are smoke-free. RCL will support/enforce Longwood University’s smoking policy. Longwood enforces state and federal laws regarding the consumption of alcohol. No one under 21 is permitted to consume alcohol. All freshman floors are designated as alcohol-free. In addition, no alcohol is permitted in Curry Hall.

Room changes A room-assignment freeze for any nonadministrative room assignment changes (based on personal preferences) will begin once assignments are communicated and will continue until the middle of September. Even after the room-assignment freeze ends, please know that room-change requests are typically very difficult to honor during the fall semester. However, students living in temporary or transitional assignments will be given priority to be reassigned as vacancies are identified. All room changes must be approved by the RCL assignments staff (Lancaster G-13C) prior to any relocation. Room-assignment changes may be based on consolidation, disciplinary action, a facility failure or for other reasons in response to unforeseen circumstances. Unauthorized moves will result in a fee (please refer to the RCL website for amount), reassignment and/or Conduct Board action. Students are encouraged to work together and communicate with one another to establish expectations for sharing a room. Efforts to minimize conflict and differences among roommates should be made prior to requesting a move. Residence hall staff can help residents resolve conflicts before a room change is made.


Residential Community Staff Each residential community is staed by a number of people who work to foster the strongest living and learning environment possible. Resident Assistant (RA) A specially trained upperclass student responsible for programming, administrative tasks and other activities that help build community. Typically, there is one RA assigned on each floor.

desk Aide (dA) The student who staffs the reception desk, answers questions and monitors who comes in and out of the building.

Residence Education coordinator (REc) A professional staff member assigned to each residential community. RECs are responsible for the day-to-day management of their assigned communities, including but not limited to facilities management, student conduct and the supervision of the student staff. Resident assistants and residence education coordinators can help the resident resolve conflict with the roommate before a room change is made.

Hom E SWE ET loN GWo od

General communication Expectations

Transitional Housing Due to the strong interest in residential living, there are times when Longwood admits more students than RCL is able to house, and it becomes essential that we maximize our occupancy potential to meet the demand. Assigning entering and returning students in a comfortable environment remains a top priority. Through the years, we have investigated the use of our residence hall space. As a result, we have equipped several rooms on campus (primarily in Curry Hall) so that an additional student can have access to all of the amenities, including an individual computer connection port and/or Wi-Fi. In short, three people are assigned slightly larger rooms that are typically designated for two people. Students assigned to transitional housing will be notified when they receive their housing assignment over the summer. As space becomes available, RCL will offer students in transitional housing the opportunity to move. Typically, we are able to offer students who wish to move to a permanent space the opportunity to do so within the first six weeks of the fall semester. However, it is possible that students may remain in these spaces for a longer period of time. Any student who is not offered the opportunity to move to a permanent assignment prior to the date noted in his or her housing assignment letter will receive a credit to be reflected on the fall semester student account. Details will be provided in the assignment letter. Moving Out of Transitional Spaces If all three residents agree, students may remain in transitional housing. Please note that students who turn down the opportunity

to move will not be eligible for the credit. Moreover, RCL will not be able to offer another opportunity to move to a permanent assignment until all other students in transitional housing have been offered the opportunity to move. RCL attempts to move transitional students into permanent spaces as close to their transitional space as possible. Therefore, we typically use the following process in offering students permanent room assignments. Permanent assignments are offered in the following priority order: 1. To a student living on the same floor as the vacancy. 2. To a student in the same building as the vacancy. 3. To a student from another building. For example, if a vacancy becomes available in Curry 620, we first offer it to students living on the sixth floor of Curry. We then offer the vacancy to others in Curry. Finally, the room will be offered to someone from another building. Please note that no resident in the room is designated as the “third resident.” When a potential space arises, RCL notifies the residents of an affected room that there is an opportunity for one of them to move into a permanent space. Typically, the students decide among themselves who will move. If necessary, a Residential and Commuter Life professional staff member will work with them to determine who will move.

Longwood University uses student email addresses as the official means of communication with students. All students are responsible for checking their email addresses and their postal mail on a daily basis so that they are aware of important information.

Personal Property Protection Longwood University will not be liable for, and the resident agrees to indemnify and hold Longwood University, its officers and employees harmless, for any loss or damage of property resulting from theft, fire, water, casualty or any other cause, or for personal injury occurring in Longwood University-managed premises. Students assume the risk of loss of personal property they bring into their rooms and onto the campus. Residents are encouraged to carry personal property insurance. Review your family’s homeowner policy to determine if your personal property is covered while at Longwood. If not, you are strongly encouraged to invest in a renter’s insurance policy.


Damages and the Room Condition Report (RCR) Longwood University will provide each resident, upon arrival, with an opportunity to note missing or damaged items and the condition of his/her room on the official Room Condition Report. At departure, a staff member will review the condition of the room and furnishings using the completed electronic form. Residents are not required to be present when the staff member inspects the room upon departure. All damage charges will ultimately be assessed by a RCL professional staff member. Residents also can choose the Express Check-out process. Failure to schedule a check-out appointment with a staff member or to choose the Express Check-out option will result in an improper check-out charge. Personal property left in a room following the termination of occupancy will be deemed abandoned. Students are subject to personal property removal fees for large items (furniture, carpet, lumber, etc.). RCL recognizes that reasonable


wear and tear is to be expected in residential facilities. Any damage considered to be in excess of reasonable wear and tear will be billed to the responsible student(s) on an individual basis. Determination of what constitutes “reasonable wear and tear� will be conducted on a room-by-room basis. Conditions not previously noted on the Room Condition Report or that are beyond normal wear and tear will be billed to the resident in conjunction with the Facilities Management Department, the Longwood Real Estate Foundation (for universitymanaged apartments) and the Office of Residential and Commuter Life, and will reflect the actual expenses incurred. The resident is liable for damages to his/ her room. It is important to note that students can be charged for damages discovered by maintenance and RCL fulltime staff after the student leaves. Groups of students (including suitemates, housemates, floormates and residence hallmates) can also be held

responsible for common area damages when a responsible individual cannot be identified. Costs for such damages will be determined in conjunction with the appropriate parties. Common area damage charges cannot be appealed.

Work orders Students are obligated to report any need for repairs to furnishings and equipment. Requests for repairs must be made through the RCL website. Go to to complete a work order. Residents are expected to maintain their own rooms, bathrooms and common spaces in an orderly, safe and sanitary condition.

Hom E SWE ET loN GWo od

Safety First: General Guidelines • Keep your door locked. Carry your personal ID and key. Don’t lend them to others.

• Treat every fire alarm as “real,” and exit the building appropriately.

• Avoid walking or jogging alone, especially in isolated places. Be observant. Be familiar with the nearest blue-light phone when walking around campus at night. You can request an escort from Campus Police or Student Safety Organization by calling 434.395.2091.

• Store checkbooks, cash, credit cards and ATM cards in a secure place.

• Mark textbooks with your name, and keep them secured.

• Register your bicycle with Campus Police, and record and keep the serial number in a safe place. Invest in a good bike lock.

• Engrave all items of value, including laptop computers.

• Review your family’s homeowner’s insurance policy. If you are not covered by the policy, consider acquiring a renter’s insurance policy. Make two lists of your valuable property. Include each item’s serial and model numbers and its approximate value. • When going on a date with a new acquaintance, let someone you trust know where you are going and when you expect to return.

Safety Reminders for all universitymanaged Housing Safety is a shared responsibility among students and the campus community. Our halls and apartments are equipped with a variety of safety devices including door peepholes, card-reader access, fire-rated doors, smoke detectors and fire alarms, sprinklers, courtesy and emergency telephones, and lighting and illuminated exit signs. However, these features are not as important as your individual actions. Residents play a role in keeping themselves and their neighbors safe. The safety and security of all students is compromised if students prop open exterior building doors, allow nonresidents to enter buildings, don’t utilize their peepholes, tamper with safety equipment or fail to lock their doors. We encourage you to use your common sense. Pay attention to your surroundings. Don’t take chances. Be alert for dangerous situations and suspicious people. Take precautions when you are in your residence, while walking/jogging, driving or using public transportation.

• Contact your RA, REC or front desk staff to report any unsafe facility conditions or if you see anything suspicious.

Remember: campus safety is a shared responsibility! 23

Commuter Life at Longwood Residential and commuter life lancaster G13 phone: 434.395.2080 email:

Commuter students are a growing population at Longwood. We want commuters to take full advantage of all the resources and services available to residential students. We also want you to have a space away from home where you can relax in between classes, study and connect with other commuter students. The Commuter Student Lounge located in the Landings Southeast Building is specially designated for all commuter students. The lounge has sofas, a kitchen area including a stove and a refrigerator, tables and chairs, computers, a television and magazines. As a commuter, you are a represented by an organization called the RCL Advisory Board. This organization is the voice of residential and commuting students at Longwood University. Check out the website at

and look for the weekly commuter email The Wire for additional information. Involvement in activities and organizations outside of the classroom helps you to grow as a person and develop skills that will be beneficial to you as you begin your job search. Longwood University has many clubs and organizations to choose from. With such wide variety, there’s sure to be one that sparks your interest. You can find information about clubs, organizations and campus events by visiting the Commuter Lounge, checking out posters and signs, reading The Rotunda (the student newspaper) and The Wire, or by simply asking the professional staff who work with commuter students. The Commuter Lounge is staffed by three student commuter assistants throughout the year. The staff in the lounge can assist you with any questions you

may have. You can also schedule a meeting with the area coordinator for apartments and commuter programs as needed. We encourage you to always be on the lookout for programs especially designed for our commuter students, including: • Commuter Welcome Wagon (occurs during the first two days of classes) • Commuter Connections monthly event • Commuter Thanksgiving Luncheon (occurs in November) • Commuter Appreciation Days (occur in April)

for more information about commuter life, please email or call 434.395.2080.


Hom E SWE ET loN GWo od

As we continuously strive to meet the needs of our students, meal plans and dining locations are subject to change. for the most up-to-date information, please visit

Longwood Dining Services Whether you’re interested in a quick bite on the go or a casual sit down with your friends, Longwood Dining Services’ nine dining locations provide lots of options. Enjoy a wide variety of delicious food offerings including five national brands: Starbucks, Au Bon Pain, Panda Express, Chick-fil-A and Moe’s Southwest Grill. meal Plans A meal plan is mandatory for all students living in Longwoodmanaged housing, whether in residence halls or in apartments. Meal plans consist of two components: meal swipes and Bonus Dollars. Your Bonus Dollars supplement meal swipes and provide added flexibility. All meal plans are nontransferable and are meant for individual use only.

Meal Swipes • Meal swipes can be used in Dorrill Dining Hall, with alloted meal exchange swipes at GREENS to GO, FarmGrill and POD Market @ Lancer Park for select menu combinations. • Continuous meal service is provided in Dorrill Dining Hall from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7 a.m. –7 p.m. on Friday. • On Saturday and Sunday, there are two meal periods in Dorrill Dining Hall: Brunch is served 11 a.m.–1:30 p.m. each day, and dinner is served 4:30 –7 p.m. on Saturday and 4:30– 8 p.m. on Sunday.

Meal Exchange and To-Go Swipes: Depending on the meal plan, students have an alloted number of meal exchange swipes per week as part of their total meal swipes for the semester. All Access, Block 225 and Block 160 have 7 exchange swipes per week, and the Block 80 and Block 40 have 5 exchange swipes per week. Meal exchange swipes can be used at three of our retail locations for

select menu combinations or for to-go meals in Dorrill Dining Hall. For example, if you have 7 meal exchange swipes and you use 3 for Sustainable To-Go in Dorrill Dining Hall, you have 4 left to use at the FarmGrill, GREENS to GO or POD Market @ Lancer Park for that week. Bonus Dollars Every meal plan includes Bonus Dollars, which supplement meal swipes and can be used at any Longwood Dining location. • 1 Bonus Dollar = $1 • Bonus Dollars are not the same thing as Lancer CA$H. Students can select their preferred meal plans when they complete their housing applications at orientation. If students do not select a plan, they will automatically be signed up for a default plan. For main campus residents, the Block 225 + $325 is the default meal plan assignment. For residents in Longwood-managed apartments, the Block 80 + $300 is the default meal plan assignment. For all students living in main campus housing, the Block 225 + $325 is the default meal plan assignment. For residents in Longwood-managed apartments, the Block 80 + $350 is the default meal plan assignment. Commuter students are highly encouraged, but not required, to purchase a meal plan. Commuter students may select from any of the meal plans offered. Meal plans are convenient, flexible and loaded with options. Meal plans can be used at all Longwood Dining locations, which offer a range of menus and offerings.


Meal Plan Facts • The housing and meal plan contract is for the entire 2018-19 academic year (August through May) unless a release from the residency requirement is obtained in writing prior to the start of fall classes. • Residential and commuter students can make meal plan changes (to either a larger or smaller plan) through the add/drop period with no proration of charges. • No changes in meal plans will be allowed after the add/drop period. • A residential student's selected fall semester meal plan automatically duplicates into spring semester unless an online request is submitted before the spring add/drop deadline. • A commuter student’s selected fall semester meal plan will not automatically duplicate into spring semester. Commuters who wish to have a meal plan must sign up for a plan each semester. • Meal plans and Bonus Dollar funds are nonrefundable. Unused meal plans expire on the last day of the semester. Bonus Dollars transfer from fall to spring semester if a meal plan is purchased both semesters. Bonus Dollars do not transfer to the next academic year and therefore must be used by the end of spring semester. Additional Bonus Dollars cannot be added during the semester; however, all dining locations accept cash, credit cards and Lancer CA$H in addition to Bonus Dollars. • Meal plans are not transferable. Meal swipes and Bonus Dollars may only be accessed through presentation of the Lancer ID Card. The card is the property of Longwood University and is nontransferable. Only the cardholder may present the ID card for purchases and other privileges. ID cards will be confiscated if presented by someone other than the cardholder or if the card is involved in inappropriate or illegal use. Fraudulent use of the card will result in disciplinary action.

longwood dining locations • Dorrill Dining Hall is located in the heart of campus across from the Lankford Student Union on Brock Commons. With more than 12,000 unique recipes, the menus include healthy choices, global flavors, and vegan and vegetarian options. • GREENS to GO is located on the ground floor of Dorrill Dining Hall and offers made-to-order salads and wraps. • Au Bon Pain, Panda Express and FarmGrill are located on the first floor of the Upchurch University Center and have both early morning and late night hours.


• Starbucks is located on the ground floor of the Upchurch University Center and offers hot or iced beverages and a grab and go selections of pastries and sandwiches. • POD Market is located in the Brown Commons at Lancer Park, which is a 10-minute walk or quick FAB ride from the main campus. The market offers a variety of groceries and made-to-order food choices, including personal pizzas, sandwiches, salad and fried favorites. • Chick-fil-A Express, located at Midtown Square, offers a select variety of famous Chick-fil-A foods. Choose from a breakfast chicken biscuit, Chick-fil-A nuggets, waffle fries, fresh salads, wrap, fresh-squeezed lemonade, fresh-brewed iced tea and handspun milkshakes. • Moe’s Southwest Grill, located at Midtown Square, is best-known for signature items including the Joey Bag of Donuts burrito and John Cocoston quesadilla. Moe’s customizable menu allows diners a choice of chicken, pork, steak, ground beef, tofu or all-veggie for each mouthwatering menu item.

meal Plan options: All meal Plans Are By Semester All Access Just like your kitchen at home, the All Access gives you unlimited access to Dorrill Dining Hall. Whether you just want a piece of fruit before class or to sit down with friends for dinner, you will have unlimited availability to meet all your needs. Block Plans All meals are allotted at the beginning of the semester. Meals do not expire until the end of the semester. Longwood University Main Campus Freshmen All Access + $225 + 7 Guest Meals Block 225 + $325 + 7 Guest Meals H Upperclassmen and Transfers All Access + $225 + 7 Guest Meals Block 225 + $325 + 7 Guest Meals H Block 160 + $350 + 7 Guest Meals Longwood-Managed Apartments (Longwood Village, Longwood Landings and Lancer Park) All Access + $225 + 7 Guest Meals Block 225 + $325 + 7 Guest Meals Block 160 + $350 + 7 Guest Meals Block 80 + $350 + 5 Guest Meals H H Default meal plan if no meal plan is selected. Guest meals are only for eat-in use in Dorrill Dining Hall. Commuter students can pick from any of these meal plans in addition to the Block 40 + $200 + 3 Guest Meals Plan.

Hom E SWE ET loN GWo od

Your Lancer Card lancer card center coyner Basement G10 phone: 434.395.2715 email: website: online services: Lancer Card Center The Lancer Card is the official photo identification card of Longwood University. It is required for all Longwood students and should be carried at all times while you are on campus. The card, which identifies you as a currently registered student, also entitles you to other privileges and potential uses on and off campus. Your first Lancer Card is provided to you free of charge. Your Lancer Card is valid as long as you are a registered student at Longwood University. It will not be replaced each year, and it is your responsibility to safeguard your card and keep it in good working condition. Please keep your Lancer Card in your wallet or an ID holder. Do not bend, break or punch a hole in the ID. This could cause the proximity chip to break, and you will be required to pay for a replacement card. Choosing Your Lancer Card Photo Students attending orientation have the option of submitting a photo online prior to arrival or having a photo taken on site and their cards printed during their session. Students who choose to submit a photo electronically can pick up their pre-printed Lancer Cards during their orientation session. Either way, please make sure to bring a valid, government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license, military ID or passport with you to Orientation. We cannot issue your Lancer Card unless we can verify your identity. Use of Your Lancer Card The Lancer Card is a multifunctioning campus card that provides access to many services on and off campus. This includes door access to residence halls and printers in computer labs, attendance readers, athletics events and much more. You also can use your card to check out library materials, you need it to use your meal plan, Bonus Dollars and Lancer CA$H account. Lancer CA$H Lancer CA$H is a pre-paid debit account that is accessed with the Lancer Card.

This account is separate from your meal plan and Bonus Dollars and can be used in a variety of locations on and off campus. Adding Money to Your Lancer CA$H Account • In person at the Lancer Card Center • Online at • At one of our Add-Value locations on campus You can also manage your account online at by signing in with your Lancernet ID and password. Through our website, you can see your available balances, view/print transaction history, sign up for notifications, make a deposit to Lancer CA$H, mark your card as lost and view the availability of washers and dryers on campus.

on campus lancer cA$H locations Barnes & Noble Bookstore All Longwood dining locations Pay-for print in computer labs Vending machines Washers and dryers Printing Services Parking Registrar’s Office

What’s the difference between Bonus Dollars and Lancer CA$H?

and many other locations

Bonus Dollars • Included with all meal plans • Accepted in campus dining locations only • Balance carries over from fall to spring semester only if meal plan is purchased both semesters • Tax free

off-campus lancer cA$H locations

Lancer CA$H • Add your own money any time • Accepted at on- and off-campus locations • Accepted in laundry and vending • Balance carries forward as long as you are enrolled at Longwood • Only accepted payment method for printing charges in the library and on-campus computer labs Need more information? For more information about your Lancer Card or Lancer CA$H, please visit our website at You can also call us at 434.395.2715, come by our office in Coyner G10 or email us at lancer Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates, promotions and news regarding your Lancer Card.

McDonald’s Subway El Patron Sheetz Papa John’s Bojangles and many other locations (see our website for a full list)

lost or Stolen lancer cards Lost, stolen or damaged Lancer Cards should be reported immediately at, which is accessible 24 hours a day. Marking your card as lost is very important. This will prevent misuse of your card if anyone finds it.


Longwood University Police Department (LUPD) phone: 434.395.2091 email: The Longwood Police Department is an accredited law enforcement agency. Certified police officers are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The police department staff comprises 20 full-time positions and four part-time positions. These sworn law enforcement officers are commanded by Col. Robert R. Beach, chief of police. Our law enforcement command staff consists of the chief of police, one investigator, two lieutenants and four sergeants, as well as an emergency management representative. All law enforcement officers have completed the Department of Criminal Justice training course and update their certification every two years as required by law. Additionally, officers have earned advanced certification in crime scene forensics, bicycle patrol, rape aggression defense (RAD), gang awareness and infectious disease control, among others. The Longwood Police Department is an active member of the university and Farmville communities through its participation in and contributions to various programs that enhance citizen awareness in the area of personal and neighborhood safety. LUPD associates coordinate many programs for students such as the Student Safety Organization, Rape Aggression Defense (RAD), the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) and Alcohol Awareness. They also participate in the Neighborhood Watch program. LUPD has concurrent jurisdiction with the Farmville Police Department and the Prince Edward County Sheriff’s Office, supporting local law enforcement endeavors.

distinct departments that are managed by the chief of police within the longwood university Police department are • Communications Center (Dispatch): Operates a 24-hour emergency communications and information center with a staff of seven full-time and one part-time certified communications officers. • Office of Emergency Management (OEM): Handles all aspects of emergency preparedness and coordination with outside agencies.


Security cameras Video surveillance systems are monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by the Longwood Police Department staff.

Emergency Telephones There are blue emergency phone poles located around campus. Pick up the phone to be in immediate contact with our Communications Center, which can dispatch an officer to your location.

Personal Security LiveSafe is the world’s leading mobile safety communications platform and enables users to do something when they see something. It enables two-way, real-time interaction between individuals and the LUPD and is a free app to install on your mobile device. Users can send text, photos, videos and precise location information to the LUPD for assistance. Join LiveSafe, and help keep our campus secure.

contact us Add the Longwood Police Department phone number to your contact list on your cell phone (434.395.2091). Remember, if you see something out of place, make that call so the incident can be professionally examined.

Hom E SWE ET loN GWo od

Disability Resources Brock Hall phone: 434.395.2391 email:

What is Disability Resources at Longwood? The Office of Disability Resources assists in creating an accessible community at Longwood where persons with disabilities have an equal opportunity to fully participate in all aspects of the educational environment. We cooperate through partnerships with students, faculty and staff to promote independence and equal opportunity in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. What types of services does Disability Resources offer for students? The office works on a one-on-one basis with students with disabilities to determine reasonable accommodations based on each student’s documented needs. Examples of possible accommodations include extended time on tests, a distraction-reduced test environment, note takers, priority registration and housing accommodations. Reasonable accommodations do not compromise essential requirements of a course or program. Because the college environment requires students to be effective self-advocates, the office also works with students to develop self-advocacy skills in understanding personal learning needs and attaining accommodations. Disability-Related Housing Disability Resources in coordination with the Office of Residential and Commuter Life can assist you with your housing-related needs. If you are requesting accommodations in other settings besides your housing

assignment (for example, in the classroom), then you must complete the Disability Housing Request form. If not, then you can complete the Health Needs Appeal Form. The Disability Housing Request form can be submitted to the director of Disability Resources using the contact information above. The Health Needs Appeal form can be submitted to Residential and Commuter Life (Lancaster G13). Both forms are due by 5 p.m. June 29, 2018. You can visit to access both forms and additional information regarding disability-related housing. How do I become eligible for services? Submit current documentation of your disability to the Office of Disability Resources (see our website for documentation requirements). All disability documentation is kept confidential within this office. You will be contacted by the office to let you know whether your documentation meets Longwood requirements or whether you need to provide additional information. Please allow up to four weeks for the review of documentation during peak submission times in the summer. After your documentation is accepted as complete, you will need to come in to the office for a service interview with the director or assistant director to discuss possible accommodations and any questions you may have. Service interviews should be arranged as early in the semester as possible. Parents are welcome in the initial meeting, but students should be prepared to become the primary contact for services provided by the office.

do I need an appointment? Yes, please call the office at 434.395.2391 to schedule an appointment, or drop by the office and sign up for a time.

Are my visits to disability Resources confidential? Yes, information will only be released with the student’s written consent.

What is odR Empowers? ODR Empowers is a specialized orientation program for first-year and transfer students with disabilities. Please call 434.395.2391 or email for more information.

Questions? Visit our website for such features as “How Are High School and College Different?” and our FAQ list.



AcA d Em I c S

Registration office of the Registrar Brock Hall 112 hours: 8:15 a.m.-5 p.m., monday-friday phone: 434.395.2580 fax: 434.395.2252 email: The mission of the Office of the Registrar is to provide superior service to all campus constituents in support of the mission and goals of Longwood University. As the stewards of the university’s academic records, we ensure the accuracy, integrity and security of those records. The undeclared advising program will empower students to take charge of their educational careers through a collaborative mentoring relationship between advisor and student. As partners in education, we facilitate learning and academic progress to assist in the development of citizen leaders. As members of the university community, we promote equity and fairness by supporting the development and consistent application of effective policies and processes. Our office is available to answer any questions you may have about registration, educational policies, transcripts, enrollment verifications, transfer credit and graduation. Details on all the services the registrar’s office provides can be found at What should I have when I contact the Office of the Registrar? When visiting the office in person, you will need to have your student ID or any other photo ID. We are committed to protecting your identity and personal information.

We will always ask to see photo identification. It’s also important to learn your “L Number,” as it will help us serve you more quickly and efficiently. Services Provided Advising for Undeclared Majors: If you have not declared a major, you will be assigned to an advisor to guide you through your course-selection process. This advisor will assist you in navigating campus resources as you find your ideal major and transition to your new academic department. If you are interested in Compass, a livinglearning community for undeclared students, please visit compass-community-program/. Veteran Education Benefits: If you are a retired veteran or a dependent and are using Veteran Educations benefits to help fund your education, please contact the Office of the Registrar for details on how to start this process. More information is available at veterans-benefits/.


Register for classes Course registration opens twice a year: in November for spring semester and winter intersession, and in March for summer and fall semesters. All students will be assigned a time ticket for their registration window. Here are a few tips to make your registration experience a success. • Make a note of your registration time window. Your time ticket is based on completed credit hours. • Begin reviewing the next semester’s course offerings as soon as they are available and put together several potential schedules. • Perform a degree audit with Degree Works. This is a great tool to monitor your progress toward degree completion. • Meet with your advisor! He or she is your best resource for schedule planning. • Have a backup plan for courses that may be closed. • Make sure you have cleared any holds on your account that would prevent you from registering. • Know the add/drop dates for the term for which you are registering.

Questions? Our office is available to answer any questions you may have about registration. Please do not hesitate to contact us at or 434.395.2580. We are here to help and guide you throughout your educational journey at Longwood University.


Transfer Credit: If you wish to take course work at another institution to transfer to Longwood, you will need to complete a transfer credit authorization form with the dean of your college. You must complete this form and turn it in to the Office of the Registrar prior to enrolling in a course at Change Name and/or Address: Forms are available in the Office of the Registrar to change another institution. Once the course is completed, you will need to send an official your local or permanent mailing address. transcript from that institution to the Office of the Registrar to complete the transfer. Emergency Contact: We strongly encourage you to add an emergency contact to 125% Rule Information: Students exceedyour record. Below are the steps to add ing 125 percent of the credit hours needed the contact to your record: for a specific degree program will be as• Log into your myLongwood account sessed a surcharge for each semester of at continued enrollment after exceeding the • On the Student tab click on credit-hour threshold. For example, if your My Student Account degree program requires 120 credit hours for graduation, you will be charged a sur• Next click on Personal Information tab charge if you take a course after completing • Then click on Update Personal 150 academic credits. More information can Emergency Contacts link be found at• You can then edit the names listed regulations/in-state-tuition-125-rule/. or add a new emergency contact

Transcripts: Official or unofficial transcripts can be ordered online or in person in the Office of the Registrar. Unofficial transcripts can be viewed and printed from your myLongwood student portal.

Questions Regarding your Academic Record/Degree Audit: Within your myLongwood student portal is a useful tool called Degree Works. You can run a degree audit at any time to see how you are progressing toward your degree. You are also able to run a “What-If” scenario to see how your courses might apply to a different major. If you have any questions, please contact a degree auditor in the Office of the Registrar. Program Change Form or Catalog Change Form: These forms are available online at It is preferred that these changes occur prior to the date that registration opens for the next semester. Apply for Graduation: All students must file an Application for Degree no later than the completion of 75 credit hours. The undergraduate degree application is available at procedures-forms/undergraduatedegree-application/. Please complete the form with your advisor and then bring it to our office for review. This is a critical step in graduating on time.

Veteran Affairs Benefits: Certification for military benefits begins in our office. For more information, check out our website at Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA): FERPA is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records and requires the establishment of policies to safeguard student records and data. More information on FERPA can be found at: Petitions: Petitions for general education and additional requirements must be submitted to the Faculty Petitions Committee through the Office of the Registrar. Deadlines for submission of petitions can be found at: procedures-forms/petitions/. Domicile (in-state tuition rates): If you wish to request a reclassification of your tuition rate based on your domicile, please contact the Office of the Registrar at or 434.395.2580.

AcA d Em I c S All ABouT mAJoRS, mINoRS ANd coNcENTRATIoNS

Find Your


Ma •


C •

SUBJECT Marketing (Business Administration) Mathematics

Middle/Elementary School Education (Liberal Studies)

—————— ———————————— ——— •

Ma •


C • •

• • • • •

• • • •

• • •

• •

• • •

• • • •

• • • • •

• •

• • • • • • •

• •

• • • • • •

• •

• •

• • • • • • • •

• • • • •

• •

• • • •

• •

SUBJECT Accounting (Business Administration) Animation, Simulation and Time-Based Media Design (Graphic & Animation Design) Anthropology and Archaeology Art Education (VAP) Art History Artist’s Books and Printmaking (VAP) Athletic Training Biology Biophysics (Physics) Brand, Identity and Media Design (Graphic & Animation Design) Business Administration* Business Economics (Economics) Chemistry Children’s Literature Clinical Lab Sciences (Biology) Coaching Communication Sciences & Disorders Communication Studies* Computer Science Creative Writing (English) Criminology/Criminal Justice Cyber Security, Forensics and Policy Design in Craft (VAP) Digital Media (Communication Studies) Earth Sciences (Environmental Sciences) Economics* Economics (Business Administration) Elementary Education (Liberal Studies) Engineering, Dual Degree (Physics) English Environmental Sciences, Integrated* Exercise Science Family Studies (Sociology) Finance (Business Administration) French (Modern Languages) General Economics (Economics) General Physics (Physics) Geography German (Modern Languages) Global Politics (Political Science) Graphic & Animation Design Health and Physical Education Health Education Health Promotion (Health and Physical Education) History Homeland Security Information Systems and Cyber Security (Business Administration) International Economics (Economics) International Studies Leadership Studies Life Sciences (Environmental Sciences) Management (Business Administration)

VAP = Visual and Performing Arts

Music (VAP)

Music Education (VAP)

Music Performance (VAP)

Musical Theatre


Nursing •

Outdoor Education •

Painting and Drawing (VAP)

Photography (VAP)

Physical Sciences (Environmental Sciences)

• •


Physics* •

Political Science •

• •

Pre-law (History/Political Science) Pre-professional Clinical Studies (Athletic Training)

• •

Piano Pedagogy (VAP, Music)

Psychology •

Public History (History/Political Science)

Public Relations (Communication Studies)

Real Estate (Business Administration)

Rhetoric and Professional Writing

RN to BSN Secondary Education - Biology - Chemistry - English - History and Social Science - Mathematics - Physics •

Social Sciences (Environmental Sciences) Social Work

Spanish (Modern Languages)


Special Education K–12 (Liberal Studies; combined bachelor’s/master’s program)

Specialist in Performance (VAP, Theatre)

Specialist in Technology (VAP, Theatre) Teacher Education PK-12 - Art - French - German - Health and Physical Education - Music - Spanish - Teaching English as a Second Language - Theatre

• •

Technical Production (Theatre)

Theatre (VAP) •

Teaching English as a Second Language (Modern Languages)

Theatre Education (VAP) Therapeutic Recreation

Visual and Performing Arts* •

Women’s and Gender Studies = Major

= Minor

= Concentration

*Concentration must be selected for major

For more information about programs, course descriptions, majors, colleges and departments, consult your university academic catalog available online at and then click on University Catalogs. Your catalog is the 2018-19 edition and will be available online later this summer.


Tips for Academic Success Preparing for class • Purchase your textbooks prior to the first week of classes. • Review the syllabus for the class to become familiar with the course and the schedule. • Record the due dates for your assignments in a planner as soon as you get them. • Complete your reading assignments before class to be prepared for class discussion. • Always have paper and pen to take notes during class. Study Sessions • You will spend 80 percent of your time at Longwood outside of class, so plan your study schedule. • Decide what you will accomplish during each study session to keep yourself on track. • Find a study environment that works for you. That might be the Greenwood Library, which has a variety of options for both individual and group study; study lounges in the academic buildings and residence halls; or, if it is nice out, Wheeler Mall! • Be sure to schedule breaks in your study schedule to allow your brain to rest and retain the information you just studied. Get to Know Your Advisor • After classes begin in August, you can find out who your advisor is on mylongwood under the Student tab. • It’s a good idea to introduce yourself to your advisor and your department chair to make an initial connection. • Your advisor will be able to answer questions regarding your academic program.


Center for Academic Success Brock Hall phone: 434.395.2393 and 434.395.2050 The Center for Academic Success provides consultation, academic coaching, study sessions and other services dedicating to helping students achieve success at Longwood. Services are provided at a range of times to accommodate students’ schedules.

Academic Coaching: The center also has staff members who will work one-on-one with students on concerns including time management, study techniques and testtaking skills. These could be one-time meetings or scheduled as needed. Please call 434.395.2050 or stop by the center in Brock Hall.

Services Provided Subject-Area Tutoring: The center provides free tutoring sessions for Longwood University students. These sessions are offered in a variety of disciplines (math, language and sciences) in traditionally high-request courses. Sessions are staffed by trained peer coaches who have earned A’s in the course, hold 3.0 or higher GPAs and have received faculty recommendations. Visit our office to request assistance, and see our website for the list of courses and tutoring locations and times. If the course you need is not listed, please contact us.

Writing Center Tutoring: The Writing Center, a critical component of the Center for Academic Success, pairs you with a trained tutor who will help you work through any stage of the writing process. You can visit for up to two hours per week and receive help with writing for any course at Longwood. Best of all— it’s free! Make your appointment online at longwoodwriting or stop by the center to check availability.

AcA d Em I c S

Alumni and Career Services maugans Alumni center phone: 434.395.2063 email: or

For a better tomorrow, connect with Career Services today. Call us to set up a time to chat with a career coach and discuss any of the following: • Building your LinkedIn profile • Networking and connecting with Longwood alumni • Resume and cover letter tips

Tips for Academic Success

• Campus, internship and full-time job postings • Mock interviews and interviewing tips • Graduate and professional school admissions assistance • Career options by major or interest • Job, internship and graduate school fairs

“ Turn your passion into a career. Take this advice from alumni: Start early — don’t wait until senior year!”

Avoid Paper Pile-up • Review any instructions given on the assignment, and see your professor for questions, as necessary. • Split up the assignment into smaller assignments, and give yourself due dates to ensure timely completion. • Give yourself time to have multiple drafts and edits. • Make an appointment with the Writing Center if you hit a snag or need assistance. Speak up! • Become very familiar with your topic and speech. The better you know the material, the more comfortable you will be speaking. • Practice, practice, practice. Practice by yourself, practice for your roommate, and practice for a study group. • Make an appointment with the Speaking Center to help you prepare further.


Where are the library’s services and materials located? First Floor • Information and research assistance @ The Desk • Librarian offices for one-on-one research consultations • Learning Commons with more than 50 computer stations

Janet D. Greenwood Library phone: 434.395.2433 text: 434.406.4957 email: live chat available library homepage: facebook: longwood university library Twitter: @longwoodulib

• Instruction room items, including DVDs, CDs and streaming videos; and more than 250 databases to help you with your research. You can access the Greenwood Library’s electronic resources through any computer on campus, or, with your Lancernet ID and password, from any place with an Internet connection. In addition, the library can obtain resources not available in its collections from other libraries through Interlibrary Loan. The library also has laptops (Dell and Apple), iPads, cameras, projectors and other multimedia equipment available for checkout. The library staff at The Desk—immediately on your right as you enter the building— will be pleased to assist you with your information and research needs.

• Circulating book collection

How can Greenwood Library help you? Located in the heart of Longwood University’s beautiful campus, Greenwood Library is a great place to study, learn and collaborate. With more than 500 seats in the library, group study rooms, computer labs, and designated quiet and group study areas, you are sure to find the perfect research and learning space to suit your needs. Librarians are available for one-onone research consultations face to face, as well as by phone, email or chat. Our collection has approximately 300,000 books, bound magazines and scholarly journals; 110,000 electronic books; more than 800 current magazine subscriptions in print and more than 475 in electronic format; 108,000 audiovisual

• Children’s literature materials

Wireless access and remote printing are available throughout the building.

• DigiLab: DEC Makerspace • Magazines, journals and newspapers • DVDs and CDs • Book scanner • Photocopiers and microform reader/printer/scanners • Media:scape for collaborative work • Mobile white boards • Recreational reading books • Library staff offices Second Floor

• K-12 textbook depository • Humanities reading room / graduate student gathering space • Instruction rooms • Study and listening/viewing rooms • Student Computing Center with 20 computer stations

library Hours In response to student demand, Greenwood Library has extended hours, remaining open until 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday throughout the semester. Monday—Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday

7:30 a.m. — 2 a.m. 7:30 a.m. — 5 p.m. 10 a.m. — 5 p.m. 1 p.m. — 2 a.m.

• Greenwood Gallery: Student art on display Hours are modified during holidays, summer and winter intersession. • Special Collections reading room

How do I check out materials? You may check out materials and equipment with your Longwood ID at The Desk. Books and DVDs may also be checked out using one of our self-checkout machines located in the Atrium.


AcA d Em I c S

Barnes & Noble Bookstore at Longwood University 7 a.m. — 9 p.m., monday–Saturday, 11 a.m.—5 p.m., Sunday B&N cafe opens at 7:30 a.m., monday–Saturday 200 North main Street phone: 434.391.3355 Barnes & Noble Bookstore at Longwood is located on the corner of Third and Main streets in historic downtown Farmville. We are your one-stop shop for official Lancer gear, textbooks, school supplies, electronics and more. Our Barnes & Noble Café serves Starbucks brand coffee, we honor the Barnes & Noble Inc. membership discount, and you can use Barnes & Noble gift cards on virtually everything in the store. Download our app My College Bookstore for coupons and special offers, and to order and track your textbook and Lancer-gear orders. Textbooks B&N at Longwood offers new, used, rental and digital titles. About 70 percent of our titles are rentable. Renting is very much the culture on campus, and Longwood students have the highest on-time check-in of all the B&N College schools in the region. The rental program saved Longwood students approximately $800,000 last year alone. Roughly 40 percent of our titles are available digitally through Barnes & Noble College’s platform yuzu. Go to today, create an account, and see if digital is the right money-saving option for you. Visit for more information about our different options. Our partnership with Longwood allows you to link directly to the bookstore website after registering for classes. From here you can see what books are required or recommended for your classes and place your order. We offer in-store pickup at no additional cost, and shipping costs are minimal. If you wish to wait to get your books until you arrive on campus, simply print your schedule and bring it to the bookstore. One of our friendly and knowledgeable booksellers will be happy to assist you. Used and used rental quantities are limited, so ordering early is always best. If you find you do not need a book, you can return it (with the receipt) for a full refund during add/drop.

Price Match: Barnes & Noble at Longwood price matches and We match to the new purchase, used purchase and used rental prices. Digital, interactive and new rental prices are excluded. Visit our website for a full list of price match FAQs. How much will my books cost and how do I pay for them? How much you pay for books will depend on the level of investment you choose. Used books are 25 percent less than the new retail price. Digital format averages 40 percent less than the new retail, though prices vary and are determined by a number of factors. Rentals are typically our cheapest option and can be up to 80 percent off the new retail price. Used and used rental stock is limited, so we suggest placing your order as soon as you sign up for classes. We pull orders in the order in which we receive them. If you change your schedule or decide you need to add or remove items or return them during add / drop, that process is not difficult. Payment methods accepted include cash, personal check, Barnes & Noble gift cards, Lancer CA$H, MasterCard, Visa, Amex and Discover. We are sorry, but the B&N Readers Advantage Card is not valid for textbooks. What is the textbook refund policy? Textbooks are fully refundable during the first week of classes with receipt and in the original condition of purchase. With proof of a schedule change, a receipt and in the original condition of purchase, a full refund will be given for textbooks during the first 30 days of classes. Refunds will be given in the original form of payment. No refunds are given on textbooks without a receipt. If someone other than the student is purchasing the books, please make sure the student keeps the receipt(s) for the first few weeks in case a refund is needed. For abbreviated classes, including those offered during intersession and summer, the refund policy will differ.

Textbook Buyback and Rental check-In Your Longwood ID with L Number is required to sell back your textbooks. Textbooks are bought back at the bookstore daily. However, the best time to sell books is during final exam week. This is also the best time to check in your rented textbooks. Rented textbooks must be returned to the bookstore within two days of the last final exam to avoid further fees. Buyback pricing is based on two criteria: We pay 50 percent of the selling price if the professor has told us the book will be used again the following term and we still require more to meet demand. If this is not the case, we will be happy to give you the latest national pricing. Barnes & Noble at Longwood University gives the most money for your books. We are the only source on campus that gives 50 percent back on reused titles. Social Media: Download our app (My College Bookstore in the app store) for rental check-in reminders, order status updates, sale notifications and so much more. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get the inside scoop on special events and promotions throughout the semester. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram @LongwoodBooks


Road Map to Student Success follow these steps to make sure you fulďŹ ll the requirements to graduate in four years and are prepared to launch your career


o Find a mentor within the faculty for your major o Practice (or continue learning) what you’ve learned about

your own learning style by exercising study skills, test-taking strategies and tutoring; utilize different study strategies for different types of classes


o Attend and actively participate in all classes

o Establish study routines that will help you meet academic expectations

o Meet with faculty about your major or major interests o Apply for financial aid beginning October 1 o Further develop test-taking strategies and study skills, and learn about tutoring sessions through the Center for Academic Success

o Use the Writing Center as a resource when writing college papers o Evaluate your study skills and strategies after reviewing mid-semester grades

o Review your academic plan in Degree Works o Schedule an advising meeting with your advisor in mid-October/early November

o Prepare for your advising meeting by reviewing Degree Works and arranging a tentative class schedule to discuss with your advisor

o Become familiar with your academic catalog found online at

o Meet with a staff member in the Office of the Registrar

to review transfer credit placement within your program

o Stay on top of General Education requirements for your specific major

o Explore career interests with Alumni and Career Services


o If undeclared, declare a major before you have earned 45 academic credits

o Enroll in and complete 30 credits per year (15 per semester or take courses during summer or intercession)

o Schedule an advising meeting with your advisor in February or early March

o Prepare for your advising meeting by reviewing Degree Works and arranging a tentative class schedule to discuss with your advisor

o Stay on top of degree requirements such as PRAXIS, GPA,

prerequisites, major field tests, departmental requirements, comprehensive exams, etc.

AcA d Em I c S


o Re-evaluate your study strategies as you transition into more of your major courses

o Review your academic plan in Degree Works and your plan for completion of degree

o Check in with your advisor and the Office of the Registrar to review your degree plan


o Re-evaluate and re-establish your study strategies and routines o Review your academic plan in Degree Works and your plan for completion of degree

o Apply for financial aid beginning October 1 o Meet with your advisor to review your academic plan o Maintain progress toward your degree by completing 30 credits per year. Remember: It takes 120 credits to graduate!

o Work with Alumni and Career Services to craft a resume o Explore career options and shadow a person working in your prospective field

o Establish a file or online folder to begin building a portfolio o Check into study abroad options

o Submit your application for degree when you earn 75 credit hours o Talk to faculty within your major about senior projects o Attend employment fairs within your major o Meet with Alumni and Career Services about your resume, interviewing tips and networking

o Explore graduate and professional school opportunities o Apply for financial aid beginning October 1 o Check into scholarships and grants fouRTH YEAR

o Confirm remaining degree requirements with your advisor and/or Office of the Registrar

o Review your academic plan in Degree Works o Research potential employment opportunities o Work with Alumni and Career Services on your resume, networking and interviewing skills

o Prepare and submit graduate and professional school applications o Apply for financial aid beginning October 1 if you are considering attending graduate school

o Check into major field tests and comprehensive exams SEcoNd SEmESTER, SEcoNd YEAR

o Discuss with your advisor the possibility of a completing a minor o Sign up for any required tests for your major, such as PRAXIS o Begin looking into internship opportunities o Attend a job and internship fair and/or a job and internship

for your major

o Attend a graduation fair sponsored by your University Bookstore, Barnes & Noble at Longwood

o Prepare and sign up for Commencement

search workshop

o Review summer experiences that will enhance your career potential

o Review your academic plan in Degree Works and your plan for completion of degree

o Talk to your professors about research opportunities o Check into scholarships and grants o Maintain a positive GPA, and be sure you understand

the difference between your overall GPA and your major GPA



l A N cER R E S ou R c ES

Paying for Your Education office of Student Accounts lancaster 205 phone: 434.395.2067 email:

Expenses and Financial Aid Please reference the Expenses and Financial Aid section of the Longwood University Catalog for complete financial policies. The catalog is available online at university-catalogs. When will I receive my Ebill? Semester

Billing Date

Payment Due


Early July

Early August


Late November

Early January

Students and their authorized users will receive email notification when new statements are produced. If you would like to receive text messages regarding new bills and upcoming payments, choose Notifications under the My Profile Setup tab, and enter your mobile phone and carrier.

How do I access my Ebill and my 1098-T (tax form)? Students can manage their accounts at Select Lancer Dashboard, myLongwood under Services and enter your LancerNet ID and password. Select Student & Account Summary then click on My Student Account. Read the text on the opening page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the button to view your account information. You may view and print the billing statements by selecting My Account then Statements. Please visit billingpayments for detailed information. Students may also choose to set up alternate email addresses. Choose Notifications under My Profile Setup and enter a secondary email address. If you choose to enter a secondary email address (in addition to your address), emails generated by our system will be sent to both addresses.

How can my parents access my Ebill and my 1098-T (tax form)? Are others assisting with your finances? If so, you might want to designate parents, guardians or others as “Authorized Users” on your Longwood account. They will receive important notices at their email addresses. This is a great way to include your parents and others in the circle of information without having to forward them your email notifications. For your privacy as the student, your payment methods, bank account information and alternate email addresses are hidden from your authorized users. Only students have the ability to set up bank accounts designated for student loan refunds.


How to set up an authorized user • To set up an authorized user, visit Select Lancer Dashboard, myLongwood under Services and enter your LancerNet ID and password. Select Student & Account Summary then click on My Student Account. • Read the text on the opening page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the button to view your account information. • Click on the Authorized Users tab and complete the requested information. Authorized users will be notified via email at the time the student grants access to the account information. An email will be sent to authorized users with their website and their password to access the account information.


Authorized User Information Once your student establishes you as an authorized user you will receive an email notifying you that you have been given access and a separate email with instructions on how to access the account. Your website and your password are different from those of your student. You may log in at https:// web/login.jsp.

• Authorized users will receive all Ebill notices.

• Tag this site under your favorites for easy access to your student’s account.

What kinds of charges may I incur as a student at Longwood? Costs that may be posted to your Student Account include tuition, comprehensive fees, student activity fees, capital outlay fees, course fees, internship fees, meal plan charges, room charges, damage charges, parking fines and late fees.

• Enter your email address and your pass word as received via email. • Authorized users have the ability to make payments, view and print statements, view and print 1098-T forms, see current activity, enroll in payment plans, save payment methods and enter alternate email addresses.

• Authorized users enrolled in the Payment Plan will receive the related emails concerning payment amount changes and other issues. • Your payment methods, bank account information and alternate email addresses are hidden from any other users, including your student.

l A N cER R E S ou R c ES

How do I pay my bill?

How do I change my method of payment?


If you wish to change any payment methods: REGulAR mAIl


• Visit • Select Lancer Dashboard


Log into My Student Account using your access information

Office of Cashiering and Student Accounts, Lancaster Hall, Longwood University 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909

Office of Cashiering and Student Accounts, Accounts, Lancaster Hall, Room 201, Main Campus


Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Diners Club, JCB, UnionPay, Amex (debit or credit) and ACH Electronic Bank Drafts

Check, money order, or cashier’s check

Cash, check, money order, or cashier’s check


A 2.85 percent convenience fee will be added for all credit and debit card transactions. Electronic bank drafts will be processed at no additional charge.



• Select myLongwood under Services • Select Student & Account Summary • Click on MY STUDENT ACCOUNT • Read the text on the opening page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the bottom to view your account information. • Under My Profile Setup, select Notifications, then Payment Profile. You may add or delete accounts. You may edit the name on the bank account, the address and the name of your payment methodH. You may not edit the routing or bank account number. HHint: Name your saved payment method with wording significant to you such as “Mary’s ABC Bank.”

Refund Information Direct deposit banking information for credit balance refunds created by student loans must be entered using the Payment Profile page. • Visit • Select Lancer Dashboard • Select myLongwood under Services


Payments posted to the student account online using ACH electronic bank drafts will be submitted to your bank for processing the next business day. ACH online payments are subject to approval and final verification by your bank.


International students can now pay online with Flywire! If you are an international student coming to Longwood University, you can now pay with Flywire! Longwood University has partnered with Flywire so that you can pay in your local currency. With Flywire, you can track your payment through the whole process and take advantage of the company’s 24/7 customer support team. To begin your payment, go to

• Select Student & Account Summary • Click on MY STUDENT ACCOUNT • Read the text on the opening page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the bottom to view your account information • Select Refunds • Enter your bank routing number and your bank checking account number as illustrated; do not enter the numbers on your debit card If your bank account information changes, please remember to update your student loan payment profile immediately. Inaccurate banking information will delay your refund.


What does it cost to attend the university?

monthly Payment Plan

Ebills contain charges for tuition and fees (costs associated with courses and student fees) and also for room and board (costs associated with living in campus housing). For information about these rates, consult the Office of Student Accounts website at The Expenses and Financial Policy is also available on this website. Please note that all rates (tuition, fees, room and board) are updated each spring by the Board of Visitors.

The convenience of paying school expenses on a monthly basis is an attractive option for many families. Longwood University provides an opportunity for parents and students to pay educational expenses in four interest-free installments per semester. (Personal expenses, books, computers and travel expenses are not included in the payment plan.) The plan is available to any student, except those in a study abroad program, for the fall and/or spring semesters.

moNTHlY PAYmENT PlAN INfoRmATIoN ENRollmENT PERIodS Participants must enroll each semester.

Past-due Accounts Any student account not paid in full or secured by our payment plan, financial aid or approved third-party tuition assistance by the semester due date will be subject to a late payment fee equaling 10 percent of the unsecured past-due account balance as prescribed in 2.2-4805 of the Code of Virginia. Failure to receive a bill does not waive the requirement for payment when due and will not prevent the application of the late payment fee. Students with a pastdue balance will have a hold placed on their account and will not be allowed to • Access assigned housing and meal plans • Register for future classes • Receive official transcripts • Receive their diplomas

designation of excess financial aid If you or your parent (with Plus loan refunds) would like excess financial aid to apply to any noninstitutional charges on your student account, please review and sign the Federal Financial Aid Release Statements at refunds/. If you choose not to have finanacial aid apply to other charges, your account may be blocked until such time as the other charges are paid. Note: The Release Statements should be included in your folders at Orientation for your convenience.

Keep your permanent and local addresses current Inaccurate addresses will delay state refund checks, mailed 1098-T (tax) information and all correspondence sent via U.S. mail. Please update your addresses as needed at





Late November

Payment plan enrollment will open after the first Ebill notification for each fall and spring semester. PAYmENT duE dATES If you enroll after the first payment due date, any missed payments will be due at the time of enrollment in the plan. FALL SEMESTER


Aug. 1, Sept. 1 Oct. 1, Nov. 1

Dec. 1, Jan. 1 Feb. 1, March 1

mETHodS of PAYmENT Participants in the payment plan may use an ACH electronic bank draft (electronic check) at no cost or debit or credit cards for a convenience fee of 2.85 percent. Once you are enrolled in the plan, payments will automatically be deducted from the designated bank account chosen upon enrollment by the user. fEES $50 per semester, charged at the time of enrollment, nonrefundable

How to enroll Students may enroll in the plan or may authorize others to enroll in the plan. Students may access the option for our automated online payment plan through the MY STUDENT ACCOUNT SITE. Simply click on Payment Plans and follow the prompts to complete and confirm plan enrollment. Authorized users will be emailed the procedures for accessing the student account and may enroll in the plan once the student sets the authorization. Our Touchnet payment plan manager system should automatically adjust monthly payments as activity on the student account changes and will notify the student or the authorized user via email. The automated payment schedule is set upon enrollment. No other action is necessary for the payments to draft from the bank account selected at enrollment in the plan. You may change your ACH electronic payment method associated with your payment plan by first saving a new Payment Profile; then click on Payment Plan and change the account associated with your plan. If you opted to use a debit or credit card upon enrollment in the plan and would like to change your payment method, or need additional assistance, please contact Kathy Motley at 434.395.2268 or email

l A N cER R E S ou R c ES

Office of Financial Aid Brock Hall phone: 434.395.2077 email: for a complete guide to applying for financial aid, visit the financial aid website at and click on financial Aid Terms and conditions.

What is Financial Aid? Financial aid is money to help students and their families pay for educational expenses. This is known as need-based assistance and is different from merit scholarships that are awarded based on exceptional academic ability and special talents. Awarding of financial aid is based on the principle that the student and his/her parents bear the primary responsibility for paying for the student’s college education taking into consideration their level of ability to pay. The Federal Office of Student Financial Aid (which governs the federal financial aid programs) established the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as a means to determine a family’s ability to pay for their student’s education. The FAFSA is referred to as a “need-assessment document.” The federal government contracts with an independent processor to compute the results of the FAFSA and report these results back to the student and the colleges the student has selected on the form. Longwood administers its state and institutional need-based aid programs parallel to the federal programs requiring FAFSA eligibility as a criterion. What is cost of attendance? When financial aid officers refer to “cost of attendance,” “educational costs ” or “budget,” they usually mean the total direct and indirect costs of attending college for one year. Direct costs are the actual charges billed to students by the college (tuition, fees, room, board). Indirect costs are estimated by the financial aid office for items such as books, supplies, computer-related costs, personal expenses and transportation. The financial aid officer adds these direct and indirect costs together to arrive at a total budget for a student who has filed for financial aid.

What is “expected family contribution”? The expected family contribution (EFC) is the amount of money a family is expected to contribute to their child’s education for a specific period of time (usually one academic year). This figure is determined through an analysis of the information included in the FAFSA. The FAFSA processor plugs your information into a formula established by Congress, and the result is the family’s EFC. You may calculate an estimate of your EFC at finaidestimate.phtml.

My parents are divorced. Whose information do I use on the FAFSA? The parent you lived with the most during the past 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, give answers about the parent who provided more financial support during the past 12 months or during the most recent calendar year that you actually received support from a parent. If this parent is remarried as of today, answer the FAFSA questions about that parent and the stepparent.

What is financial need and how is it determined? Financial need is determined by subtracting your expected family contribution from Longwood’s total cost of attendance (total budget). Financial need is the maximum amount we are permitted by federal regulations to award you in assistance.

My parents are divorced, and I live with my mother, but my father claimed me as a tax exemption. Whose information do I report? Who claimed you as a tax exemption is not a factor in determining which parent’s information is required on the FAFSA (see above question).

Can work-study be subtracted from my bill? No. Students receive a paycheck once a month for the actual number of hours they work. However, all other aid is credited to your account.

I live with my grandparents (or another relative). Do I report that relative’s income instead of parents’? Only if that relative meets the definition of an adoptive parent.

One of my parents has just lost his/her job. Will this affect my financial aid? It might. Students (or parents) should request a Change in Income Form from the Office of Financial Aid.

longwood’s federal code for filing the fAfSA form is 003719.

What is the “unmet need” figure that appears on my award notification? After a student’s need has been determined by subtracting the EFC from the total budget, an award is made. If we are unable to award the student enough financial aid to meet his/her total computed need, the difference is unmet need.


Scholarship and financial Aid credits Scholarships awarded by organizations independent of Longwood University will appear on a billing statement only if, prior to the scheduled billing date, a student provides Longwood University with official notification indicating that the funds will be disbursed directly to the university. Official notification is preferred in the form of a letter on organizational letterhead. Unless an awarding agency provides written instructions directing Longwood University to apply scholarship funds in a particular manner, all miscellaneous scholarship awards (greater than $100) will be evenly divided between the fall and spring semesters. Scholarship awards are often disbursed by the awarding agencies in installments, and even when annual award funds are disbursed as a single lump-sum payment, most organizations request this division of funds between terms. If a student is awarded a miscellaneous scholarship after Longwood’s billing date but before the semester’s payment due date, then the student should send official notification of the scholarship to Longwood University’s Office of Financial Aid and contact the Office of Financial Aid to verify that no other financial aid award(s) will be reduced by the additional scholarship. Because many financial aid awards are need-based awards, it is possible that a student’s existing financial aid package will be reduced by the addition of a newly awarded scholarship. If a student receives an outside scholarship after the billing date (or if a student notifies Longwood University of a “miscellaneous scholarship” after the billing date), then the student should never deduct the value of the scholarship from a billed balance without first approving that deduction through the Longwood University Office of Financial Aid. Each time a scholarship or student loan is added to a student’s total financial aid package, the Longwood University Office of Financial Aid must re-evaluate the student’s overall financial aid eligibility. In some cases, a scholarship may simply replace a previously offered student loan or need-based grant. Because of this, failure to approve the deduction of a new miscellaneous scholarship from a billed balance due may result in the application of late payment fees.

Technology at Longwood user Support Services french Hall Ground floor phone: 434.395.4357 email:

laptop Requirement Longwood realizes that technology plays an important role in today’s learning environment. All Longwood students are required to have a laptop computer. Students are free to bring whatever brand laptop they like. Longwood’s network supports both Windows and Apple operating systems. Hard-wired and wireless network services are available in all residence halls and Longwood-managed apartments. Students are encouraged to bring an Ethernet cable to connect to the hard-wired network. Below is a list of minimum recommended specifications that will assist you in making a purchasing decision about your laptop. It is strongly recommended that you check with your academic department before making your laptop purchase, as additional information may be available. • Processor: Dual core processor (Intel i5 equivalent or higher) • Memory: 4GB DDR3 RAM • Hard Drive: 250 GB hard disk drive or 64 GB solid state drive (With the solid state drive, much of the space will be taken up by the operating system so be sure to purchase external storage.) • Operating System: Windows 7 or greater; Mac OS X 10.10 or greater • Optical Drive: A DVD-RW drive is recommended. (It may be necessary to watch DVD's on your notebook or to install software from a disk.) • Wired Ethernet Port • External Storage: External hard drive or high-capacity flash drive


Bring all of the documentation and software that comes with your laptop with you when you come to campus.

l A N cER R E S ou R c ES

Safe computing at longwood Keep Your Firewall Turned On A firewall helps protect your computer from hackers who might try to delete information, make your computer crash or even steal personal information such as passwords or credit card numbers. You should make sure your firewall is always turned on. Keep Your Operating System Up-to-Date High-priority updates are critical to the security and reliability of your computer. They offer the latest protection against malicious online activities. Microsoft and Apple provide new updates on a regular basis. It is highly recommended to configure your PC/Mac to download updates automatically. Keep Your Computer Free of Malware Malware is software and/or code designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner’s informed consent. Viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, bots, spyware, keystroke loggers and phishing software are all various forms of malware. Using antivirus software along with spyware removal software can greatly reduce the chances of malware infecting or infiltrating your computer.

Keeping your antivirus software updated as well as enabled is crucial for this protection to remain effective. Outdated antivirus software is the same as having no antivirus software at all. Practicing good Internet and computing habits will further help ensure you’re not a victim of malware. Malicious emails can be made to look as if they are from a legitimate person and typically include a link to trick you into clicking on it and unknowingly downloading malware to your computer. Use a Strong Administrative Password /Passphrase Setting a strong password or passphrase on all your user accounts is an important layer of protection. It should be something easy to remember, easy to type and difficult for someone else to guess.


Health Record FAQs When is the deadline? Your completed new student health record is due on or before the date you attend orientation. What is the purpose of the immunization requirement? The Code of Virginia (Section 23-7.5) requires students to provide documentation of their immunizations by a licensed health professional. If you are unable to provide appropriate documentation, vaccines may be repeated. Most importantly, you won’t be able to access services at the Health Center or register for spring 2019 courses unless your completed immunization form is on file. Must a physician complete the packet? Yes. Your primary care provider or a health department clinician is required to complete Pages 3 and 5 of the packet. This individual’s signature is also required at the bottom of the second page. Are all immunizations listed on the health record required? Some of the immunizations are required while others are optional. Please complete the packet to the best of your ability and make arrangements to receive any required immunizations prior to the packet’s due date. An immunization religious exemption does exist for students who complete required documentation. Where do I find the new student health packet? Please visit to download and print the packet.

University Health Center 106 midtown Avenue at the landings Hours: monday, Wednesday and friday 8 a.m.— 5 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m.— 6 p.m. phone: 434.395.2102 The center is closed on all university holidays. Always check our website or call our office during inclement weather to verify operating hours. Services Provided The University Health Center offers both clinical and health education services. Health problems commonly seen in a primary care office are evaluated and treated by clinical staff. We also offer health education programming for the residence halls, organizations and individuals. Who will I see if I come to the University Health Center? Patients will be seen by a physician or advanced practice provider (nurse practitioner or physician assistant), who will assess and treat health conditions commonly encountered on college campuses. Along with initial diagnosis and treatment for a broad spectrum of illnesses, our providers are able to care for most chronic illnesses, as well as women’s health and men’s health issues. They can diagnose, order tests and prescribe medications. Registered and licensed practical nurses are available for phone consultations, triage and nursing services; flu and allergy shots; and health education.

ager who can assist patients in selecting and enrolling in a health insurance plan. How much will it cost me to see a clinician? Office visits for all eligible students are covered under the student health fee that is paid with a student’s tuition at the beginning of each semester. There is no cost to the student for these visits. Noncovered services including, but not limited to, physicals, injections, testing and treatment will be billed to the student’s health insurance with the remaining balance being the responsibility of the student. Students will be responsible for any charges for noncovered services, including deductibles and co-pays for those with health insurance. Please speak to our health care reimbursement manager if you have any questions regarding covered and noncovered services. Prescriptions, outside providers, facilities and laboratories are not covered under the student health fee. If you incur charges for these services, they are your responsibility. We, as your health care provider, will do everything we can to keep these costs down.

Uninsured Students Is there any assistance available for uninsured students? Yes! If you need assistance paying for your prescription medications, please see our prescription solutions advocate at the front desk. Our advocate will help identify programs for which you may qualify and assist with the application process. There is a minimal administrative fee for each prescription. You will need to supply income information to determine eligibility.


Are my visits to the University Health Center confidential? Yes! No one has access to your records without your written permission. The only exceptions are those required by law. Does the university have an insurance policy that I can purchase? Longwood does not have its own insurance policy that students can purchase. Uninsured patients are encouraged to speak with our health care reimbursement man-

Do you write excuses for missed classes or employment? The University Health Center does not write medical excuses. We will provide documentation of the visit upon request. It is up to each professor to determine whether or not the absence is excused.

To Schedule an Appointment: Please call 434.395.2102 or go to our student health web portal at to schedule an appointment. You can also have secure communications with our staff using the web portal.

l A N cER R E S ou R c ES

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Health and fitness center phone: 434.395.2409 Learning About Your True Self CAPS provides confidential psychological services to students to help them achieve their academic and personal goals. Counseling programs and services help students live effective, responsible and satisfying lives and contribute to the learning that will encourage them to be “citizen leaders for the common good.” Services Provided • Confidential individual counseling is provided to students experiencing ongoing or situational psychological or behavioral difficulties. • Support groups and therapy groups tailored to meet student needs are offered. • The Campus Advocate is a resource available to students who experience sexual discrimination, harassment, misconduct and assault, as well as relationship violence, stalking and retaliation. The Campus Advocate provides support, confidential counseling and advocacy services to assist students in obtaining reasonable and appropriate resources, including filing a limited Title IX report at the student’s request. • Emergency coverage and crisis intervention are provided in collaboration with other campus partners and mental health services.

• Referrals to community providers are offered to students who might benefit from more frequent or intensive care. • Full, comprehensive testing for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and learning disorders is provided (fee applies, at a significant cost savings). • Programs and workshops are provided to enhance the well-being of the Longwood community. • Full-spectrum light therapy for seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is available. • Books, pamphlets and audiovisual materials are available. Training Program • A 600-hour supervised graduate internship is offered to students earning master’s degree in counselor education. • A 100-hour supervised graduate practicum is offered to students earning a master’s degree in counselor education. • A supervised undergraduate internship provides an opportunity for students to apply academic knowledge in a professional setting.

How do I make an appointment? Please call 434.395.2409 or stop by the office in person to schedule an appointment. for confidentiality reasons, do not request appointments by email.

counseling is confidential. counselors are not considered Title IX mandated reporters and are not required to report the information learned in the course of a confidential communication. How does counseling work? Counseling is a collaborative process that includes you every step of the way, from determining what your goals are to deciding when it is time for your counseling experience to come to an end. You and your counselor will work together to explore your thoughts and feelings, to examine relationships and to create solutions to your concerns. Counseling can be hard work, but the rewards you will gain from making positive changes in your life are priceless.

What should I do if I am concerned about a student? The best way to express concern about a Longwood student is to contact the dean of students, who oversees the Longwood University Care Team (see Page 51).

longwood Recovers Longwood Recovers is an informal, voluntary group that provides a support network for students who are currently in — or considering—recovery from alcohol and/or other substance-use issues, or other problematic or addictive behaviors. The group, which comprises undergraduate and graduate students, staff, faculty and alumni, provides a nonjudgmental, private forum for members of the university community who share common challenges. For more information about Longwood Recovers, please contact Professor Kevin Doyle at 434.395.2328 or email


lancer Park Sports complex Located behind the Lancer Park apartment community, the Lancer Park Sports Complex provides outdoor field space for intramural sports, sports clubs and informal recreation. This 50-acre park includes a softball/baseball/multipurpose grass field and a multipurpose artificial turf field. Both fields are lighted for nighttime play.

midtown fitness Performance center Located at Midtown Landings is our newest fitness facility dedicated to sports performance and strength training. Enroll in a custom workshop, attend a small group fitness class, schedule time with your club or highschool sports team, or purchase a personal training package and take your workout to the next level. Midtown Fitness Performance Center features functional strength training and cardio equipment found nowhere else on campus. Call or come by the Campus Recreation office to learn how you can take advantage of the programming at this unique facility.

Health and Fitness Center campus Recreation Health and fitness center phone: 434.395.2356

Hours Monday—Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday

6:30 a.m. — 10 p.m. 6:30 a.m. — 8 p.m. 9 a.m. — 8 p.m. 1 — 10 p.m.

Hours of operation may change during holidays and break periods.

Our state-of-the-art Health and Fitness Center recently celebrated 10 years of creating a “fit U” at Longwood. The Health and Fitness Center is among the finest facilities of its kind in the nation and includes • The latest cardiovascular and strength equipment • Group fitness studio, functional fitness room and powerlifting room • Eighth-mile indoor track • Climbing wall • Courts for volleyball, racquetball, basketball, badminton and soccer • Equipment loan, lockers and towel service Campus Recreation also provides comprehensive student programs in • Aquatics at the Willett Hall pool

follow us on Social media

• 18-hole Disc Golf Course on Johnson Drive with free disc rentals available • Informal recreation—equipment checkout, including the LongwoodBikes! rental program • Intramural sports— team and individual events

• Twitter: LUCampusRec

• Fitness —group fitness classes including spinning, yoga, Pilates and Zumba; and personal trainers

• Instagram: LongwoodCampusRec

• Sports clubs— more than 20 active clubs

• Facebook: Longwood Campus Recreation

• Outdoor recreation— gear to rent, organized trips and an on-campus ropes course


• Late-night alternative programs throughout the year

l A N cER R E S ou R c ES

care Team The Care Team can consist of representatives from the following offices and colleges: Cook-Cole College of Arts and Sciences Residential and Commuter Life Public Safety and Campus Police University Health Center Disability Resources

Office of the Dean of Students lancaster G13I phone: 434.395.2485 email: The Office of the Dean of Students provides programs, services and referrals that support student success and foster the development of citizen leaders. Our staff is available to answer questions, point students and families in the right direction to get the information they need, and serve as a single point of contact for students and families in times of crisis. The dean of students oversees the Office of Disability Resources and the Office of Residential and Commuter Life. Care Team The dean of students also convenes the Care Team, which comprises representatives from academic affairs and student affairs. The team is responsible for identifying students who may be at risk and for developing interventions to help students whose behavior is determined to be potentially harmful to the individual student or the Longwood community. The team also looks at patterns of student behavior to identify the need for new

College of Business and Economics Office of Conduct and Integrity Office of the Dean of Students College of Education and Human Services

policies or programs related to issues such sexual assault, alcohol abuse and medical withdrawal.

Center for Academic Success

Broadly, the Care Team addresses

Counseling Center

• Behaviors that impair academic effectiveness when it is suspected that such behaviors are more than the result of irresponsible choices

University Clery and Title IX Office

Student Success and Retention

• Behavior that is so disruptive that it impacts the ability of the individual or others to successfully participate in campus life • Dangerous behavior to self and/or others The Care Team encourages faculty, staff, students and family members to share concerns about student behavior that they feel is detrimental to the individual student or the community. However, it is important that we—as an institution that values diversity— understand that behaviors that may be unique or eccentric are not always detrimental or dangerous/threatening.

To express concern about a student, please send an email to: or contact Trace Jarrett, administrative assistant to the dean of students, at 434.395.2485 or


Office of International Affairs Stevens 111 phone: 434.395.2172 email: facebook: longwood university International Education

The Office of International Affairs’ motto is “The World is Our Campus.” With the goal of internationalizing the campus, the office provides international experiences in numerous ways for Longwood students and faculty. Primary activities available to our campus students are study abroad programs and the opportunity to meet and interact with international students from around the world. Questions about international affairs can be directed to Study Abroad Our office provides students with a variety of study abroad options. Short-term programs are offered in the winter and summer with Longwood faculty. Programs are offered throughout the year through our exchange and affiliated partners for as little as a few weeks or as long as a semester or full year. Our programs serve a wide variety of academic disciplines all over the world. To support students financially, some study abroad scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis. Students interested in learning more about studying abroad should contact Dr. Emily Kane, director of study abroad. Students who have studied abroad are invited to participate in the Global Leaders Program. International Students International students from numerous nations study at Longwood. Many of these students are here for one or two semesters from our partner universities as exchange students. Others students are here as degree-seeking students. These students bring different world views and experiences to our classrooms. Efforts are made to help these students feel at home and to learn about U.S. culture. Services provided to international students include visa advising, orientation, airport shuttle at the beginning and end of each semester (on designated dates), social activities, field trips and academic support.


English Language Bridge Program The English Language Bridge is a specially designed transition semester program that improves non-native English speakers’ chances for academic success. The program, which offers English language classes for college credit, is open to international students with TOEFL scores between 60 and 79 and IELTS scores between 5 and 6.5. Students are fully enrolled at Longwood from their first day on campus. Students with questions about the English Language Bridge program should contact the director, Dr. Deborah Westin, at International Admissions Office Patti Trent, director of international admissions and student/scholar services and Cheng Peng, assistant director of international admissions and recruitment, are responsible for recruiting international students to Longwood. Applications and academic documents are evaluated in the international admissions office, and students are admitted based on a comprehensive review of their complete academic profiles. Global Leaders Program Global Leaders is an international leadership program. Global Leaders members help new international students with their academic and cultural adjustment, assist with orientation, and help recruit for study abroad and international admissions. Global Leaders members are recognized at graduation for their involvement. International Student Advisory Committee The International Student Advisory Committee (ISAC) provides international students with a voice on campus for sharing the needs and issues of their peers. ISAC works with the International Affairs staff to schedule activities, respond to concerns and represent students from their cultural groups. For information on either Global Leaders or ISAC, contact Liz Carty at

l A N cER R E S ou R c ES longwood Parents council The Longwood Parents Council is a direct link between Longwood parents and families and university leaders. The council consists of approximately 25 families of Longwood students who apply to join and are then invited by the president. The council meets several times each year and assists with university programs such as orientation, Family Weekend and the Parents Council Grants process.

Family Programs first Year Experience and family Programs phone: 434.395.2414 Longwood prides itself on connecting with parents and families to build a strong support system for students. Families are encouraged to contact the First Year Experience team with any question, big or small, related to Longwood and their student’s experience. One of our staff members will be happy to speak with you and help to the best of our ability.

Family Weekend Family Weekend will be held Sept. 14–16, 2018. The fun-filled spirit of Friday night’s festivities will continue on Saturday and Sunday with events, meals and opportunities for Longwood families to reconnect with students while engaging with the Longwood campus as well as the town of Farmville. For a schedule of events and information on how to register, please visit:

Parents Council Grants Council families make an annual gift. These gifts provide the funding for the Parents Council grants that are awarded each year in November. Students, faculty, staff and university groups submit proposals to the council each October for review. The process involves a written application and a brief presentation before the Parents Council.Proposals must directly involve academic achievement, citizen leadership and overall university enhancement to be considered for funding. Grants of up to $2,000 may be awarded per proposal. Proposals that have received funding in the past include additional study hours in the library during exam week, The Big Event (communitywide service project), foreign language film festivals and academic programs. A complete listing of funded grants is available online at family-programs/parents-council. Parents Council Membership If you are interested in learning more about the Parents Council or are interested in becoming a member of the council, please contact First Year Experience at



l I VI N G T H E l A N c E R lI f E

Welcome to Farmville longwood university and the farmville community work very closely together to provide the best experiences for students. Here are a few of the ways students stay connected to the community.

I Like It! What’s great about Farmville, Virginia? Find out at, where you can find information about restaurants, shopping, lodging, local attractions, and upcoming festivals and events. Offering lots of great tips, links and interesting posts, the site is a great resource for students.

Outdoor Enthusiasts Farmville has a lot to offer when it comes to outdoor activities. Whether you’re interested in hiking, biking, fishing, canoeing, zip-lining or learning about the town’s history, you can find it here. Put on your walking shoes, and check out the sights and sounds around Farmville. The Farmville area has numerous lakes and parks located in close proximity, including: • Wilck’s Lake State Park • Twin Lakes State Park • Bear Creek Lake State Park • Holliday Lake State Park • Briery Creek Lake Interested in a Virginia Historic Landmark? The High Bridge Trail is an attraction that brings guests to Farmville from all over. As the longest recreational bridge in the state, the view at High Bridge is a mustsee for everyone. Looking for an challenging obstacle to tackle? The Adventure Park at Sandy River Retreat is Virginia’s largest zip-line and aerial adventure park. It has 20 zip-lines and 60 obstacles to navigate through. To learn additional details about outdoor activities throughout the town, visit

MLK Day of Service Sponsored by Citizen Leadership and Social Justice Education, the MLK Day of Service honors the contributions of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and focuses on Longwood’s mission of citizen leadership. Faculty, staff and students participate in a full day of service activities in and around Farmville the day before spring classes start each January. The Big Event Through community service activities, The Big Event promotes campus and community unity as students come together for one day to express their gratitude for the support from the surrounding community. More information about The Big Event is available each spring. One big day. One big thanks. One big event. Heart of Virginia Festival Experience the “best small town festival in the world” on the first Saturday in May right in downtown Farmville. Listen to live music, enjoy food trucks and check out the arts and crafts for sale. In the evening, activities move to the Farmville Airport with more live music and great food. The festival highlight is the evening fireworks display. Farmville Downtown and Farmville Downtown Partnership Farmville Downtown is the historic commercial district located on North Main Street between Fourth Street and the Appomattox River. It includes North and South streets and the blocks located between them. Farmville Downtown Partnership organizes and sponsors community events, retail promotions and other activities. The organization also offers a variety of volunteer and internship opportunities for Longwood students. For more information, email

Students recommend their Farmville favorites Where is your favorite place to go around Farmville? • High Bridge Trail is great for walking with friends, and the bridge itself is not only a structure with historical significance but also one that offers a beautiful view. • Uptown Coffee is a coffee and sandwich shop on Main Street where students often gather to study or listen to live music. Where is your favorite place to eat? • Pino’s Italian Restaurant is within walking distance of campus. They serve the best steak and cheese subs. • El Patron is a great Mexican restaurant in Farmville. • It’s Macado’s for sandwiches and salads! • Charley’s Waterfront Café has been a favorite spot for my family when they come to visit on the weekends. • The Fishin’ Pig has great barbecue! Where is your favorite place to shop? • Pairet’s — You can make your own Longwood T-shirts and apparel!

• Red Front Trading— They have a great selection of Greek apparel and gifts. • The Sleeping Bee— It has a lot of cool items including Tervis Tumblers, Vera Bradley products and décor. Student Discounts Who doesn’t like saving money? Check out to learn about your options. Keep in mind that many places around town offer discounts to students with a Lancer ID.


Longwood Traditions Secret Societies Longwood has a long history of active secret societies on campus. The most notable current secret societies are Chi and Princeps. Both groups have unique mottos that encourage leadership, service, academics and character. Secret societies frequently recognize Longwood students, staff and faculty for exemplary service and leadership on campus. Keep your eyes peeled for the groups’ symbols around campus. Longwood students believe you will have good luck by stepping on the Princeps crowns and avoiding the Chi Rotundas. Class Colors Each Longwood class is designated a color that stays with the class until graduation. The incoming class of 2022 is a red class, while all classes with graduation in oddnumbered years are considered green classes. A friendly rivalry exists between the green and red classes with fun challenges throughout the year. The biggest class rivalry event is Color Wars, which takes place during Oktoberfest weekend.


Red and green paint fly through the air as the freshmen and juniors join forces against the sophomores and seniors to see which group can douse their rivals with the most paint. Don’t miss out on Color Wars—this is a Longwood student favorite! Oktoberfest Oktoberfest is a week filled with spirit events, including a traditional Oktoberfest parade (yes, you will see Lederhosen!) and spirit dance. There is also a series of Spirit Competitions where the red and green classes battle one another to show school pride. Spring Weekend Spring Weekend, formerly known as May Day on campus, features the annual Oozeball Tournament. Have you ever played volleyball in the mud? All students need to come out to Spring Weekend to experience this crazy tournament as well as vendor booths, annual chili cook-off and live music.

Princeps Crowns It is considered good luck to step on the small black crowns that are located on seven sidewalks throughout campus.

Joan of Arc is Longwood’s patron hero and is memorialized in two campus statues, one a gift from the Class of 1914, the other (left) a gift from the Class of 1927.

l I VI N G T H E l A N c ER lI f E

Longwood Athletics

NcAA division I Sports The Longwood Athletics Department has 14 Division I sports:

Tabb Hall phone: 434.395.2057

Women’s Basketball Cross country

We Are Lancers! Longwood competes in NCAA Division I athletics and is a member of the Big South Conference for all sports except field hockey, which competes in the Mid-American Conference. Longwood funds 14 different athletics programs and lays claim to a powerhouse softball team that has won four Big South Championships, including three in a row from 2015-17. What‘s the Origin of the Lancer Nickname? There are different accounts as to how the Longwood Lancer moniker originated, but the most prominent is that President Henry Willett charged a committee to come up with a nickname that was unique among all college athletics programs. Upon the suggestion of Lancers, Willett saw a loose tie to the school’s association with Joan of Arc and Longwood adopted the nickname soon after. Longwood is the only “Lancer” in college athletics.

Lancer News and Events is the home of Longwood athletics news and all relevant information for the school’s 14 athletics programs. Longwood provides free, live video streams of select Longwood athletics events on the Big South Network at Longwood also carries radio broadcasts of all men’s basketball games and select women’s basketball, baseball and softball games on WVHL 92.9 FM in Farmville or at

Field hockey Golf Lacrosse Soccer Softball Tennis Men’s Baseball Basketball Cross country

Where Do Longwood Teams Play? Longwood has three main venues for its home athletics events. Willett Hall, located in the heart of campus, is the home of Longwood basketball. The baseball and softball programs play in fields located adjacent to one another on the south end of campus. The field hockey, lacrosse and men’s and women’s soccer programs compete at Elizabeth Burger Jackson Field, which is located next to Longwood House, the president’s residence, on Johnston Drive.

Golf Soccer Tennis

Why is our Mascot a Horse? You mean Elwood. He’s awesome and doesn’t need explanation.


university center and Student Activities office The University Center and Student Activities Office coordinates the scheduling of Lankford facilities; supports meetings and events; and sponsors and works with student organizations to plan and implement a balanced schedule of social, cultural, educational and recreational programs for the entire campus community. The office also works closely with Longwood’s 165-plus student organizations. Get to know these organizations at the fall 2018 Involvement Fair tentatively scheduled for Thursday, Aug. 30, from 4–6 p.m.

Student Union phone: 434.395.2103 email:

To find out more about longwood’s more than 165 student organizations, please visit studentorgs.

The Lankford Student Union is much more than just a building on campus. The union houses facilities, programs, services and people that contribute to campus life here at Longwood. Lankford serves as the “living room” for the campus— an informal place where people meet, eat, study and relax. Several clubs and offices call Lankford home. The following offices and services are housed in the Student Union: N.H. Scott Center Fraternity and Sorority Life Lancer Café Lancer Productions Citizen Leadership and Social Justice Education The Rotunda student newspaper Student Government Association Study lounge University Center / Student Activities Office


We are excited to move into our new home the Upchurch University Center in fall 2018. All the above mentioned offices and resources will be moving to the new University Center.

l I VI N G T H E l A N c E R lI f E

Which fraternities and sororities are represented on campus? There are 22 inter/national and local fraternities and sororities on campus. These groups are members of our three governing bodies: College Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council and the National Pan-Hellenic Council. College Panhellenic Council (CPC) governs Longwood’s nine sororities that hold membership in the National Panhellenic Conference: Alpha Beta Psi H Alpha Delta Pi Alpha Gamma Delta

Fraternity and Sorority Life

Alpha Sigma Alpha Alpha Sigma Tau Kappa Delta

The fraternity and sorority experience is a longstanding tradition on college campuses across the nation but especially here at Longwood. Twenty percent of Longwood students are members of our 22 inter/national and local fraternities and sororities. Longwood is home to the founding chapters for four inter/national sororities, commonly known as the “Farmville Four.” Fraternity and sorority students are involved in leadership roles throughout campus, including Ambassadors, Lancer Productions, Housing and Residence Life Resident Assistants, Student Government Association, NAACP, Mortar Board, SEAL and many more. Fraternity and sorority members complete thousands of hours of community service in the area each semester and serve as citizen leaders in many capacities.

Sigma Kappa Sigma Sigma Sigma Zeta Tau Alpha Interfraternity Council (IFC) governs Longwood’s seven fraternities, of which six hold membership in the NorthAmerican Interfraternity Conference: Alpha Sigma Phi

How can I join a fraternity or sorority? Each council’s recruitment/intake process is conducted a little differently. Organizations within the College Panhellenic Council conduct a formal recruitment process during the spring semester that is finalized at Walk, or Bid Day. Currently, Alpha Beta Psi hosts individual recruitment events. IFC organizations are continuously recruiting men throughout the academic year. Typically IFC has a formalized Walk, or Bid Day, each semester. NPHC organizations individually conduct intake; this process is at the discretion of each chapter and varies from organization to organization. For more information about intake, please refer to the organization you are interested in joining. What are the requirements to go through recruitment for fraternities and sororities? The Student Handbook requires that all students interested in joining a Greek-letter organization have a 2.5 cumulative GPA and a minimum of 12 Longwood credits.

Most students would be eligible to join under these requirements by the second semester of their first year at Longwood. Individual organizations may have additional requirements, such as a higher GPA. Transfer students may be considered for membership in their first semester at Longwood if they have transfered in 25 credits from a previous institution (not including high school). What do fraternities and sororities do? Fraternities and sororities participate in community service and philanthropic efforts throughout the year. In addition, the Greek community often comes together for annual signature events such as Greek Awards, Greek Week, Lip Sync, Step Shows, socials/date parties and much more.

Phi Mu Delta Phi Kappa Tau Pi Kappa Phi Sigma Nu Theta Chi

Gamma Psi H National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) governs the six historically African American fraternities and sororities at Longwood: Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

Questions? Contact us by email at greeklife, call the office at 434.395.2103 or stop by the Lankford Student Union 201. Visit our website at

H local organizations recognized by Longwood University.


N.H. Scott center for diversity and Inclusion The N.H. Scott Center for Diversity and Inclusion serves as an educational and social space for the Longwood community, providing a TV lounge where students can relax with friends and sponsor programs designed to educate the campus community about cultural and social issues while also providing opportunities to increase understanding. Located on the lower level of the Lankford Student Union, the center also houses a library of cultural resources and educational items. Programs and activities sponsored or supported by the center to develop a more inclusive campus community include • 16 culture-based student organizations • Leadership development and intercultural workshops and training • Culturally immersive field trips • Community-based advocacy initiatives The lounge space within the center also is used for

Office of Citizen Leadership and Social Justice Education diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice Education N.H. Scott center for diversity and Inclusion (lSu Ground floor) lankford Student union 223 and 219 phone: 434.495.2395 and 434.395.4808 email: or

• Formal and informal student meetings • Student counseling sessions • Ally development initiatives • Safe space needs

citizen leadership and Social Justice Education (clSJE) is dedicated to educating, empowering and challenging students through intentional programming, inclusive environments and experiential learning opportunities. our goal is to develop citizen leaders who champion the causes of social justice.

The Office of Diversity and Inclusion collaborates with others on campus to build an inclusive intercultural campus environment. Diversity and Inclusion provides transformative educational programs and activities for the Longwood community to increase the understanding and valuing of diversity. Staff also offer educational and leadership development opportunities for all students as well as advocacy and support for historically underrepresented and underserved students and groups. Student Diversity and Inclusion Council The area also works with the Student Diversity and Inclusion Council. The primary mission of this council is to develop, recommend and sponsor policies, procedures and programs that facilitate a more diverse and pluralistic campus community that is welcoming, safe and affirming for all.

Signature Programs Sponsored or Co-Sponsored by Diversity and Inclusion • Six heritage months • Black History Month • LGBT History Month • Women’s History Month Events • Hispanic Heritage Month Events • Native American/American Indian Heritage Month Events • Asian-Pacific Islander Heritage Month • Crash on Campus: Multicultural Recruitment Weekend • Social Justice in Action Leadership Summit • Martin Luther King Jr. Symposium • Safe Zone Ally Training • Get on the Bus: graduate school tours • Series of trainings, workshops and presentations on a variety of social justice issues • Cultural immersion trips • Walk A Mile In Her Shoes

60 • Donning of the Kente

l I VI N G T H E l A N c E R lI f E

Citizen Leadership and Social Justice Education

New Student leadership Program

development, community learning and Engagement lankford 219 phone: 434.395.4808 email:,

The area of Leadership Development strives to create opportunities of learning, growth and action for students to become citizen leaders in their communities throughout the world. Students who participate in our programs develop self-awareness and awareness of others, and are empowered to take action in creating positive change in their communities. Community Learning and Engagement is dedicated to creating an environment that fosters active citizenship, social responsibility and experimental learning. Students who participate in this program will develop an awareness of community needs, a sense of personal responsibility to self and community, and a deeper understanding of active engagement. Joan of Arc Leadership Program The Joan of Arc Leadership Program is a four-tier, comprehensive, co-curricular leadership program. The three programmatic elements of weekly workshops, service learning and reflection emphasize the development of leadership competencies, a concern for equality and justice, and sense of social responsibility. Students participating in the program will be equipped to serve as catalysts for social change and prepared to be active citizens in our global world. Mountain Lake Leadership Conference The Mountain Lake Leadership Conference (sponsored by Student Educators for Active Leadership) is our premier leadership event. Held at the beautiful W.E. Skelton Conference Center in Wirtz, Va., this exciting weekend is both interactive and engaging, and gives students, faculty and staff the chance to come together, collaborate and learn valuable leadership skills.

Community Service and Service Learning Part of developing as a citizen leader is engaging in the surrounding community. To foster such engagement, the Office of Community Learning and Engagement assists students and student groups in identifying, completing and reflecting on meaningful volunteer and service learning opportunities in Farmville and the surrounding communities. Hunger Banquet The Hunger Banquet is an interactive dinner that allows its participants to reflect on the issue of hunger and food scarcity around the world. Every participant is randomly assigned a seat at the Hunger Banquet and throughout the meal every person is educated on the basic facts dealing with hunger. Every participant gains a better understanding of hunger and is provided with information on ways they can fight this problem. MLK Challenge The MLK Challenge is an opportunity to celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. through engaging with other Longwood students, faculty and staff in a day of service and reflection. In partnership with our local nonprofits in the Farmville community, students learn about issues such as hunger and homelessness or environmental conservation and natural resources. Challenges change each year according to the needs of community partners. At the end of the day, students come back together to reflect on the day and celebrate the message of Dr. King.

The New Student Leadership Program (sponsored by Student Educators for Active Leadership) is designed specifically for new and transfer students, giving them an early start on the journey toward becoming citizen leaders at Longwood. Participants come together for a weekend early in their first semester and complete challenge courses with high and low ropes elements. Students then apply lessons they learned from the program to their experience at Longwood. In this fun, adventure setting, students learn the value of teamwork, goal-setting and getting outside their comfort zones.

Additional Service learning opportunities Alternative Breaks Each year, the Office of CLSJE and the student group Alternative Breaks offer several opportunities for students to engage in service learning during alternative spring break experiences in locations around the United States. Alternative Breaks (AB) are a great way to explore social issues—including environmental conservation, health care and socioeconomic equality—and to discover new things about yourself through education and purposeful action. Big Siblings Our Big Siblings program matches accepted applicants with Little Siblings who have been referred to us as needing support, guidance or just a little encouragement from a Big Brother or Sister. Participants help a young person realize his or her potential and perhaps provide the hope that may be absent in his or her home environment. Applications are available beginning in March for the fall semester and beginning in October for the spring semester. Giving Tree The Longwood Giving Tree is a chance for Longwood students to give back to the community during the holidays. Students and community members take cards labeled with a few needs of children and mothers in underprivileged families and purchase the requested items to be given to the individuals. Movers and Shakers Longwood students, faculty and staff assist new students on move-in day.


Longwood ROTC Hiner Hall G18 phone: 434.395.2136 email: email:

What Is Army ROTC? The Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) is a college-based elective course that develops the future officers for the U.S. Army through leadership and management training. Its mission is to prepare young men and women for commissioning as second lieutenants in the Regular Army, Army Reserve or Army National Guard. ROTC produces nearly 70 percent of all commissioned officers in the U.S. Army and is the largest single source for officers. By producing mature and confident leaders for all types of leadership and management positions, ROTC also provides the breeding ground for future leaders in business and other civilian sectors. In addition to their normal studies, enrolled students take prescribed military science courses and attend a four-week (CLC) Cadet Leadership Course during the summer between their third and fourth years of college. Upon successful completion of this course of study and baccalaureate degree requirements, students are commissioned as second lieutenants. Scholarships and Benefits Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit, not on fi-


nancial need. Candidates are selected for scholarships based on their scholastic achievements, athletic and extracurricular accomplishments, and leadership achievements. Normally, one three-year or four-year Advanced Designee scholarship is awarded to a deserving high-school senior who plans to enroll at Longwood. The scholarship can defray the full cost of tuition and provide additional taxfree allowances for books and necessary fees. Nonscholarship students entering ROTC also are eligible for campusbased scholarship opportunities while in the program. Similar to the high-school scholarship, recipients of these campus-based opportunities are selected based on their achievements in academics, athletics and leadership. Army Obligation There is no obligation to the United States Army simply by taking courses in Army ROTC. In fact, most students who take the freshman and sophomore classes are not contracted and take the course for the valuable skills being taught. However, scholarship cadets do incur a military service obligation beginning at the start of their sophomore year. Two-year scholarship cadets incur a military service obligation beginning at the start of their junior year.


125% rule...................................................................... 32 1839 Experience............................................................ 7 Academic Catalog.......................................................38 Accounts, Student....................................................... 41 Advisor, Academic..................................................34, 6 Airports.......................................................................... 13 Alcohol, Tobacco and other Substance Use.. 20, 49 Athletics........................................................................ 57 Authorized User..........................................................42 Bookstore......................................................................37 Campus Recreation....................................................50 Campus Safety.............................................................23 Career Services........................................................... 35 Care Team......................................................................51 Center for Academic Success.................................. 34 Chi.................................................................................. 56 Citizen Leadership.......................................................61 Civitae Core Curriculum.............................................. 11 Class Colors................................................................. 56 Color Wars....................................................................56 Commuter Life.............................................................24 Computer Requirements.......................................... 46 Counseling Center (CAPS)........................................49 Course Registration......................................................5 Dean of Students......................................................... 51 DegreeWorks................................................................32 Desk Aide (DA).............................................................. 20 Dining.............................................................................25 Disability Resources................................................... 29 Disability-related Housing..........................................17 Diversity and Inclusion..............................................60 Domicile.........................................................................32 Ebills................................................................................41 EFC (expected family contribution) .....................................45 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).................45 Family Programs......................................................... 53 Family Weekend...........................................................53 Farmville Area Bus (FAB)............................................13 Farmville, Virginia....................................................... 55 FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).............. 32 Financial Aid................................................................ 45

Fraternity and Sorority Life......................................59 Health and Fitness Center........................................50 Health and Wellness Center.....................................48 Housing Assignments................................................. 16 Immunization Form....................................................48 International Students...............................................52 Lancer CA$H................................................................ 27 Lancer Card Center.................................................... 27 Leadership Development........................................... 61 Library........................................................................... 36 Longwood Police Department................................. 28 Longwood Recovers...................................................49 Longwood’s Network................................................. 47 Majors, Minors and Concentrations........................ 33 Martin Luther King Day Challenge.......................... 61 Meal Plans.................................................................... 26 Monthly Payment Plan.............................................. 44 Move-In...........................................................................17 New Lancer Days......................................................8, 9 Oktoberfest.................................................................. 56 Organizations, Student............................................. 58 Packing List...................................................................18 Parents Council........................................................... 53 Parking Decals............................................................... 3 Payment Options........................................................ 43 Peer Mentor.................................................................. 10 Personal Property Protection................................... 21 Princeps........................................................................ 56 Prohibited Items in Residence Halls........................19 Police Department......................................................28 Public Safety................................................................ 23 Registered Student Organizations (RSOs).............. 58 Registrar........................................................................ 31 Renter’s Insurance.......................................................21 Residence Education Coordinator (REC)................. 20 Residence Halls............................................................ 16 Resident Assistant (RA).............................................. 20 Residential and Commuter Life, Office of..............15 Road Map to Student Success................................. 38 Room Changes............................................................ 20 Room Condition Report.............................................22

Roommate Requests...................................................16 ROTC.............................................................................. 62 Scholarships................................................................ 46 Secret Societies.......................................................... 56 Service Learning.......................................................... 61 Shuttle Service over Holiday Breaks.......................13 Sorority and Fraternity Life......................................59 Speaking Center..........................................................35 Spring Weekend.......................................................... 56 Student Accounts........................................................ 41 Student Health Record..............................................48 Student Health and Wellness ..................................48 Student Union............................................................. 58 Technology...................................................................46 Textbooks......................................................................37 The Big Event...............................................................55 The G.A.M.E.................................................................... 8 Transcripts....................................................................32 Transfer Credit.............................................................32 Transitional Housing................................................... 21 Tuition........................................................................... 44 Tutoring.........................................................................34 Undeclared Students...................................................31 Veteran Affairs Benefits............................................. 31 Work Orders................................................................. 22 Writing Center............................................................. 34


AcKNoWlEdGmENTS Produced by Longwood University Office of Student Success Coordinated by Laura Black Program Coordinator, First Year Experience and Family Programs Edited by Sabrina Brown Associate Vice President, Brand Marketing and University Publications Designed by David Whaley Director of Design Published April 2018



Soar In Four: Earning Your Degree in The guide to earning your degree in four years can be found online at

Soar In Four Steps To Success: Maintain a close relationship with your advisor. Be familiar with your course catalog for your entry year and course sequencing. Create a roadmap to your graduation celebration, and check your degree progress evaluations regularly.

Stay on top of requirements, for example: GPA or additional degree requirements (ADR), course prerequisites, internship or research experiences, PRAXIS, departmental applications for specific majors and comprehensive exams/Major Field Test. Pace yourself. If you need 120 credits to complete your degree requirements, then generally you’ll need to complete at least 30 credits per year. Be flexible with your schedule.


First Year Experience and Family Programs 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909 phone: 434.395.2414 e-mail:

The Answer Book for 2018-19  

Longwood University's detailed overview of campus resources and information for incoming students.

The Answer Book for 2018-19  

Longwood University's detailed overview of campus resources and information for incoming students.