Page 31

The big sites require certificates of courses taken - if you can get H&S cards or permits working at heights etc., all the better. If you do not have a driving licence, try to get it before you leave home. If you have a trade, get the certificate and ensure it is recognised in the UK. (CEO Construction Firm)

Useful websites The official site of the 2012 Olympics. Jobcentre Plus has one of Britain’s largest databases of job vacancies Transport for London has been a big employer of tradespeople and construction workers.

Education and social care

If you are working with young people or vulnerable adults, you will need to complete a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check. This can take up to five weeks and you will not be allowed to start work without it. Recruitment agencies that recruit teachers, social workers, youth workers and community workers will be able to help you apply for a CRB. Some positions in this sector, especially permanent roles, will require a full application form. The more thorough you are in completing the application the better your chances.

Look into the differences between professional qualifications in Ireland and the UK. For example, where I work you need to have PETALS (People Exploring Teaching and Learning Styles).

to get a specialist CSCS card, e.g. electricians need an ECS card.

(Community Education Manager) A good generalist recruitment site, with a large number of jobs in trades and construction. This is the largest website for classified ads in London. The construction sector of this website is good for freelance work and short-term contracts.


Moving to London; A Practical Companion for Irish People  
Moving to London; A Practical Companion for Irish People  

A helpful, practical and comprehensive guide to Moving to London for Irish people. Published by the London Irish Centre in May 2012.