support its weight. During the Civil War, the church took on a a different use. As Union forces shelled City Point, slaves took refuge in the church cellar. After Gen. Ulysses S. Grant captured the town, the church became a signal station, a theater and also a dance hall. Once the war was over, the building was in disrepair. In 1867, the building was restored and services resumed that June 30. Nearly 30 years later, several changes were made to the building and, in 1919, the transepts were added along with electric lights donated by the Tubize Silk Co. The stained glass windows were added around the same time. The historic church is located at 505 Cedar Lane and the church offices may be
reached at 804-458-8142. City Point Early History Museum The City Point Early History Museum is located in the St. Dennis Chapel in the National Historic District of Hopewell. The chapel was constructed in 1887 as a Catholic chapel for Navy personnel. In 1981, the private home was deeded to the Historic Hopewell Foundation. It was restored and opened to public in 1995. Currently the exhibit called â€œSeeking Freedom Where the Rivers Meet: Contraband, Colored Troops and City Pointâ€? is there until 2015. The museum is located at 609 Brown Avenue and is typically open by appointment only. For information, call 804-458-4682.
Taking Care of the Tri-Cities Since 1978