Issuu on Google+


MUSEUM PROFILE

Redpath Museum

A Temple of Learning By Ingrid Birker and David Green

I

t’s September, 2013, at the Redpath Museum’s annual “welcome back pizza lunch”. On the tables are drinks and pizzas for the Museum’s professors, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, collection managers, administrative staff, adjuncts and associates — about 50 people altogether. The summer field season has ended and the new academic year has just begun. People chat about their accomplishments and plans, including the impressive endeavours of the Museum’s six professors. Tony Ricciardi’s work on invasive invertebrates extends throughout the lower St. Lawrence River. Virginie Millien and her students travelled throughout Quebec to study populations of small mammals. Newly arrived Rowan Barrett has established plans for research projects in Nebraska and the west coast of Canada on the evolutionary ecology of mice and fishes. Andrew Hendry’s research regularly takes him to Trinidad to study guppies, to the Galapagos Islands to examine Darwin’s finches, and to British Columbia to research stickleback fishes. Hans Larsson pursues his paleontological explorations in Saskatchewan, South America, West Africa and the Canadian Arctic regions. David Green, the Museum’s director, works on amphibian populations worldwide. In the past year, the Museum has published over 30 scientific papers and one book. Backstopping the scientific research are the Museum’s collections of over three million fossil, animal and mineral specimens and cultural artefacts, valued at over $27 million. This material is used

38

muse l january/february 2014

daily for a multitude of academic courses and research projects. Loans of specimens to other institutions extend the Museum’s reach far beyond the university. Museum staff work with, and constantly reference, the Museum’s collections. The offices and labs are located amidst the specimens and exhibit halls. Later in the day, the Museum faculty and staff meet to discuss the current state of the Museum, everything from new storage space, new labs, new offices and new exhibits, to updating the website and upcoming public events. They focus on plans and projects for the year ahead, and seek a collective vision for the Museum’s academic, cultural and social vocation. Unlike any other natural history museum in Canada, the Redpath functions like an independent academic department within the faculty of science. It has its own tenure-track academic staff, a modest list of graduate and undergraduate courses and its own program, a minor in Natural History. In addition, over 30,000 school children and students annually interact with the Museum’s hands-on science educators and over 60,000 visitors a year come to view the exhibits. With its current population of about 100 people, the Redpath Museum is more active and productive today than it has ever been. All of this would have been inconceivable to its first director, Sir William Dawson. In 1882, Dawson prepared to host the first and only joint annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)

and the British Association for the Advancement of Science (BAAS), since he was simultaneously president of both. Renowned internationally for his paleontological discoveries, Dawson was principal of McGill University and acknowledged to be Canada’s foremost scientist. He was set to impress his colleagues by holding the meeting in the brand new and impressive Redpath Museum which was constructed by Montreal industrialist, Peter Redpath. The “museum craze” was at its heights, with museums being built throughout Europe and North America. Museum directors mobilized resources from reluctant governments and college trustees. Local architects were hired to realize visions of glittering palaces dedicated to the wonders of natural science. The Redpath Museum, built in the neo-Gothic style by the Montreal firm of Hutchison and Steele, was designed with large, open galleries and windows to maximize natural lighting. It was supported by iron rods hidden in columns. Dawson established his office on the first floor and oversaw the display of his large and significant collection of fossils. The Museum and its contents were dedicated to the professors and students of McGill College and University, and secondarily, for all the students of natural Science and for the public. The only other person who worked at the Museum was the caretaker.

The Redpath Museum situated in the middle of the McGill campus. Photo: Gordon Campey.


Musée Redpath

PORTRAIT DU MUSÉE

Un temple du savoir Par Ingrid Birker et David Green

N

ous sommes en septembre 2013, au moment du « dîner-pizza annuel de la rentrée ». Les tables sont couvertes de boissons et de pizzas pour les professeurs, les étudiants des cycles supérieurs, les boursiers postdoctoraux, les gestionnaires de collection, le personnel administratif et les auxiliaires et agrégés du Musée, une cinquantaine de personnes en tout. Les travaux sur le terrain de l’été sont terminés et la nouvelle année universitaire vient de débuter. Les gens parlent de ce qu’ils ont fait et de leurs projets, et notamment des impressionnantes entreprises des six professeurs du Musée. Le travail de Tony Ricciardi sur les invertébrés envahissants couvre tout le bas Saint-Laurent. Virginie Millien et ses élèves ont parcouru le Québec pour étudier des populations de petits mammifères. Rowan Barrett, nouvellement arrivé, a établi des plans pour des travaux de recherche dans le Nebraska et sur la côte ouest du Canada sur l’écologie évolutive des souris et des poissons. Les recherches d’Andrew Hendry l’amènent régulièrement à Trinidad pour y étudier le guppy, dans les îles Galapagos pour observer les pinsons de Darwin, et en Colombie-Britannique pour des recherches sur les épinoches. Hans Larsson poursuit ses explorations paléontologiques en Saskatchewan, en Amérique du Sud, en Afrique occidentale et dans les régions de l’Arctique canadien. David Green, le directeur du Musée, travaille sur des populations d’amphibiens dans le monde entier. Au cours de la dernière année, le Musée a publié plus de 30 articles scientifiques et un ouvrage. Le Musée Redpath situé au millieu du campus McGill. Photo : Gordon Campey.

Les recherches scientifiques s’appuient sur les collections du Musée riches de plus de trois millions de fossiles, de spécimens animaux et minéraux et d’artefacts culturels, d’une valeur de plus de 27 millions de dollars. Ces objets sont utilisés quotidiennement pour une multitude de cours et de projets de recherche. Grâce au prêt de spécimens à d’autres établissements, le rayonnement du Musée s’étend bien audelà de l’université. Le personnel du Musée travaille avec les collections de ce dernier, et les documente continuellement. Les bureaux et les labos se trouvent parmi les spécimens et les salles d’exposition. Plus tard, le corps professoral et le personnel du Musée se réunissent pour discuter de la situation actuelle de l’établissement, de la nouvelle aire d’entreposage et des nouveaux labos aux nouveaux bureaux et aux nouvelles expositions, en passant par la mise à jour du site Web et les manifestations publiques à venir. Ils se focalisent sur les plans et les projets pour l’année qui commence et cherchent une vision collective pour la vocation académique, culturelle et sociale du Musée. Contrairement aux autres musées d’histoire naturelle du Canada, le Musée Redpath fonctionne comme un département universitaire autonome au sein de la faculté des sciences. Il a son propre personnel occupant des postes menant à la permanence, un modeste éventail de cours de cycles supérieurs et de premier cycle et son propre programme, une mineure en histoire naturelle. En outre, plus de 30 000 écoliers et étudiants interagissent annuellement avec les éducateurs des sciences pratiques et plus de 60 000 visiteurs par an viennent voir les expositions.

Avec sa population actuelle d’une centaine de personnes, le Musée Redpath est plus actif et productif aujourd’hui que jamais. Tout cela aurait été inconcevable pour son premier directeur, sir William Dawson. En 1882, Dawson se préparait à accueillir la première et unique réunion annuelle conjointe de l’American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) et de la British Association for the Advancement of Science (BAAS), comme il était simultanément président des deux. Renommé à l’étranger pour ses découvertes paléontologiques, Dawson fut le principal de l’Université McGill et reconnu comme le plus éminent scientifique du Canada. Il ne manquerait pas d’impressionner ses collègues en tenant la réunion dans le tout nouveau et impressionnant Musée Redpath édifié par Peter Redpath, un industriel montréalais. L’engouement pour les musées était à son apogée et l’on construisait des musées partout en Europe et en Amérique du Nord. Les directeurs de musée mobilisaient des ressources de gouvernements et d’administrateurs réticentes. Des architectes locaux étaient embauchés pour réaliser des visions de palais somptueux consacrés aux merveilles des sciences naturelles. Le Musée Redpath, édifié dans le style néogothique par la compagnie montréalaise de Hutchison et Steele, fut conçu avec de grandes salles ouvertes et des fenêtres pour maximiser l’éclairage naturel. Il était soutenu par des tiges de fer dissimulées dans des colonnes. Dawson installa son bureau au rez-de-chaussée et surveilla la présentation de son abondante et importante collection de fossiles. Le Musée et son contenu étaient janvier/février 2014 l muse

39


REDPATH MUSEUM Close-up of the talons of a snowy owl./ Les serres d’un harfang des neiges vue de près. Photo: Redpath Museum

“modernizing” by creating new displays and covering much of the building’s Victorian architecture. The Lyman collection was moved to McGill’s MacDonald Campus in 1961 and the Redpath Museum became primarily a public museum, but scientific research still continued, largely in the hands of vertebrate paleontologist, Robert Carroll, hired in 1963.

Sir William Dawson died in 1899, but the Redpath Museum’s collections continued to grow with the acquisition of the Todd African ethnological collection in 1910, the Ferrier mineral collection in 1911 and the Lyman entomological collection in 1914. Although more and more crowded, the Museum became less and less relevant to a university that seemed blind to its potential. By 1915, with the passing of its founder and members of the original governing committee, the Museum began to founder. Elsewhere in North America, museums were finding ways to prosper by adapting to new methods of teaching and new avenues of public engagement. And new museums continued to be built: the Royal Ontario Museum in 1910 and the Musée des Beaux Arts de Montréal in 1913. World-wide interest in chemistry, physics, mechanics and photography flourished. Scientific “demonstrations” by such luminaries as Michael Faraday and Guglielmo Marconi, who demonstrated the strange, invisible force called “radio,” delighted millions. Magic lantern glass slide shows of scientific and geographical wonders became common at meetings of popular scientific societies. Many of these scientific demonstrations were promoted in local newspapers and journals, allowing people everywhere to read about the Wright brothers’ experiments with powered flight and about the unexpected sinking of the RMS Titanic in 1912.

40

muse l january/february 2014

In 1932, Dr. Thomas Clark, a geologist, became director of the Redpath Museum and found himself struggling to be both a professor and a curator without any staff. Yet the Museum had, once again, acquired a champion. Clark personally collected many of the Museum’s most important fossil specimens. His scientific credentials, coupled with his relentless promotion of the Museum, began to change the latter’s fortunes. In 1938, having acquired a private bequest from J.H. Molson, Clark appointed the first scientific curator since the Museum’s founding, J.D. Cleghorn. In 1942, Clark chose a geology graduate, Alice Johannsen, as assistant curator and by 1950, with the addition of a curator of shells and a part-time secretary, the Museum’s population had reached a total of five. In 1952, Johannsen succeeded Clark as the Museum’s director. Emphasizing the role of museums in public education, she brought the idea of “extension services” to the Canadian museum world. This focus on community engagement and access to public education, born from the ethics of the Second World War, was deeply shared by Johannsen. In 1947, she became one of the founding members, and later president, of the Canadian Museums Association, formed to promote Canada’s museums, art galleries and sites of historical significance. By the late 1950’s, the Redpath Museum entered a phase of

In 1970, the university found itself beset by financial troubles and decided that it could no longer support a public natural history museum in the heart of its campus. It quietly closed the venue’s doors to the public and simply allowed the researchers working there to carry on. John Lewis, from the department of biology, became the new director and the Redpath ceased all public programs. New technical staff were hired to maintain the collections, but the Museum remained closed for the next 15 years. In 1985, the Redpath Museum’s new director, Robert Carroll, cautiously began the institution’s rebirth by gaining permission to open the doors to the public and by hiring a young professor, David Green, in 1986. New exhibits were designed. Research, particularly in zoology, took off in new directions. During the early 1990’s, with Valerie Pasztor as director, the Friends of the Museum were born. They sought support for special public projects and provided docents and volunteers to work with the public. Sunday Family Discovery Workshops were inaugurated in 1993, thanks to a private foundation. Then came the most significant administrative change to the Museum since its birth. In 1995, it was transferred to the faculty of science and began to function as an academic department. It now enjoyed the support of the dean of science and under a succession of innovative directors — Graham Bell from 1995 to 2005, followed by David Green to the present day — it began to prosper as never before. The auditorium was renovated and modernized for video-conferencing, bringing more students to classes. This prompted a move to renovate the first floor leading to the auditorium and then, with the help of a grant


REDPATH MUSEUM destinés à l’usage des professeurs et des étudiants de l’Université McGill et, en second lieu, de tous les étudiants des sciences naturelles et du public. Sir William Dawson mourut en 1899, mais les collections du Musée Redpath continuèrent de croître grâce à l’acquisition de la collection d’ethnologie africaine Todd en 1910, de la collection de minéraux Ferrier en 1911 et de la collection entomologique Lyman en 1914. De plus en plus encombré, le Musée devint de moins en moins pertinent pour une université qui semblait fermer les yeux sur son potentiel. En 1915, après le décès de son fondateur et des membres du comité de direction originel, le Musée commença à sombrer. Ailleurs en Amérique du Nord, les musées trouvaient des moyens de prospérer en s’adaptant à de nouvelles méthodes d’enseignement et en explorant de nouvelles avenues de mobilisation du public. Et l’on construisait de nouveaux musées : le Musée royal de l’Ontario en 1910 et le Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal en 1913. Dans le monde entier, on se passionnait pour la chimie, la physique, la mécanique et la photographie. Des « démonstrations » scientifiques par des sommités telles que Michael Faraday et Guglielmo Marconi, qui démontrèrent l’étrange force invisible appelée « radio », fascinèrent des millions de personnes. Les spectacles de projection de plaques de verre avec une lanterne magique, montrant des merveilles scientifiques et géographiques, devinrent courants lors des réunions de sociétés scientifiques populaires. Beaucoup de ces démonstrations scientifiques se voyaient publicisées dans des journaux et des revues locaux, ce qui permettait à des gens de partout de lire sur les expériences de vol propulsé des frères Wright et sur le naufrage inattendu du RMS Titanic en 1912.

A Roman theatre mosaic in a Graeco-Roman style from 1-2nd century. / Une mosaïque de style gréco-romaine dans un théâtre romain du premier ou deuxième siècle. RM 2613. Photo : Musée Redpath

Musée au public et permit simplement aux chercheurs d’y travailler pour poursuivre leurs tâches. John Lewis, du département de biologie, devint le nouveau directeur et le Musée Redpath mit un terme à tous ses programmes publics. De nouveaux membres du personnel En 1952, Johannsen succéda à Clark comme technique furent embauchés pour entretenir les collections, mais le Musée demeura fermé directrice du Musée. Soulignant le rôle des durant 15 ans. musées dans l’éducation, elle introduisit l’idée de « services de vulgarisation » dans le monde des musées canadiens. Johannsen En 1985, le nouveau directeur du Musée adhérait profondément à cette idée de l’imRedpath, Robert Carroll, tenta prudemment portance de la mobilisation de la collectivité de redonner vie à l’établissement en obtenant et de l’accès à l’éducation, issue de l’éthique la permission d’ouvrir les portes au public et de la Seconde Guerre mondiale. En 1947, en embauchant en 1986 un jeune professeur, elle devint un des membres fondateurs de David Green. De nouvelles expositions furent l’Association des musées canadiens, formée conçues. La recherche, particulièrement en pour promouvoir les musées et les lieux d’im- zoologie, explora de nouvelles avenues. Au portance historique du Canada, et elle en fut début des années 1990, naissaient les Amis plus tard la présidente. À la fin des années du musée Redpath, avec pour directrice 1950, le Musée Redpath entra dans une Valerie Pasztor. Ils sollicitaient un soutien pour phase de « modernisation » par la création de des projets publics spéciaux et fournissaient nouveaux éléments d’exposition et le camou- des guides et des bénévoles pour travailler En 1932, Thomas Clark, un géologue, devint flage d’une grande partie de l’architecture vic- avec le public. Les Ateliers-découverte directeur du Musée Redpath et s’évertua à torienne du bâtiment. La collection Lyman fut familiaux du dimanche furent inaugurés en être à la fois professeur et conservateur sans transférée au campus MacDonald de McGill 1963, grâce à une fondation privée. le moindre personnel. Pourtant, le Musée en 1961, et le Musée Redpath devint surtout avait trouvé son nouveau champion. Clark un musée public, mais la recherche scientiPuis survint le plus important changement collecta lui-même un bon nombre des plus fique se poursuivit, en grande partie grâce à administratif qu’avait connu le Musée depuis importants fossiles du Musée. Ses références Robert Carroll, paléontologue des vertébrés sa naissance. En 1995, il fut transféré à la scientifiques ainsi que sa promotion infatiembauché en 1963. faculté des sciences et commença à fonctiongable du Musée commencèrent à améliorer le ner comme un département universitaire. sort de ce dernier. En 1938, ayant bénéficié En 1970, l’université se retrouva aux prises Il jouissait maintenant du soutien du doyen d’un legs de J.H. Molson, Clark nomma le avec des problèmes financiers et décida de la faculté, et sous une succession de premier conservateur scientifique depuis la qu’elle ne pouvait plus financer un musée directeurs novateurs — Graham Bell de 1995 fondation du Musée, J.D. Cleghorn. En 1942, d’histoire naturelle au cœur de son camà 2005, puis David Green jusqu’à aujourd’hui Clark choisit une diplômée en géologie, Alice pus. Elle ferma discrètement les portes du — il commença à prospérer comme jamais Johannsen, pour être conservatrice adjointe, et en 1950, grâce à l’ajout d’un conservateur des coquillages et d’une secrétaire à plein temps, la population du Musée avait atteint cinq personnes.

janvier/février 2014 l muse

41


REDPATH MUSEUM EMPLOYEE PROFILE / PORTRAIT D’UN EMPLOYÉ

Anthony Howell Zoology collection manager

I

n 2006, a young insurance clerk — fresh out of a specialized BA in anthropology at McGill University — volunteered at the Redpath Museum. One of his first tasks was to set up a database and input the 2000-item Museum Fossil Type Catalogue into an easily accessible digital file. While inputting he learned how to mend, clean and prepare natural history materials. Today, not only is Anthony Howell embedded in the fabric of the Museum as its full-time zoology collection manager, but he has also recently won the prestigious Principal’s Award for Administrative and Support Staff. Redpath Museum director David Green, who nominated him for the award, described Anthony as “a restless innovator, pushing the bounds of collections management”. Anthony’s day-to-day tasks include collections’ conservation (replenishing liquid preservatives, carrying out pest management protocols, preparing new specimens for long-term storage, tweaking databases and accessioning new material), processing loans and donations, as well as accommodating research visits. He also works with McGill students on a variety of collection management and research projects. M

Gestionnaire de la collection de zoologie

E

n 2006, un jeune commis à l’assurance — qui venait tout juste d’obtenir un baccalauréat spécialisé en anthropologie à l’Université McGill — entrait comme bénévole au Musée Redpath. Une de ses premières tâches a consisté à créer une base de données et à introduire le catalogue de types de fossiles du Musée, riche de 2000 articles, pour en faire un fichier numérique facilement accessible. Tout en accomplissant ce travail, il a appris comment réparer, nettoyer et préparer des spécimens d’histoire naturelle. Aujourd’hui, non seulement Anthony Howell, en tant que gestionnaire à plein temps de la collection de zoologie, est tout à fait intégré à la trame du Musée, mais il s’est également récemment mérité le prestigieux Prix de la Principale pour le personnel administratif et de soutien. Le directeur du Musée Redpath, David Green, qui l’a proposé pour ce prix, a décrit Anthony comme « un novateur infatigable, qui repousse les limites de la gestion des collections ». Parmi les tâches quotidiennes d’Anthony figurent la conservation des collections (réapprovisionnement des agents de préservation liquides, exécution des protocoles de lutte antiparasitaire, préparation de nouveaux spécimens pour l’entreposage à long terme, mise au point de bases de données et enregistrement de nouveaux objets), le traitement des prêts et des dons, ainsi que l’organisation de l’hébergement pour les visites de recherche. Il travaille également avec des étudiants de McGill à divers projets de gestion des collections et de recherche. M Photograph of Anthony Howell at the scope in his office space within the collections storage area of the Redpath Museum, October 2013. / Une photographie d’Anthony Howell prise en octobre 2013 travaillant dans son espace de travail dans la zone de stockage des collections du Musée Redpath. Photo: Natalia Toronchuk.

42

muse l january/february 2014

from the province of Quebec in 2001, to a full renovation and restoration of the main galleries to their Victorian majesty. In 2010, the decrepit teaching lab was fully renovated into a multipurpose learning room. Most recently, a new 2,000-square-foot off-site collections storage facility neared completion. The Museum hired new faculty to reach its current complement of six professors and renovated increasingly more space to accommodate growing numbers of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. Post-secondary colleges and many McGill academic departments began to use the facility for teaching courses. For the first time, the Museum began to teach and administer its own courses. It solidified its relationships with other museums and became a member of the Alliance of Natural History Museums of Canada. Several computer cataloguing and inventory grants were obtained from the Museums Assistance Program (MAP) and the Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN). The Redpath Museum entered the 21st century reborn. It’s March, 2012, at the celebration of the Redpath Museum’s 130th anniversary in the Museum’s Auditorium. Where Dawson, the Museum’s first director, once stood to deliver his lectures now stands Green, the Museum’s ninth director, dressed as Dawson and introducing the early history of the Museum. Following celebratory speeches by McGill’s principal, Heather Monroe-Blum, provost Anthony Masi, and dean of science Martin Grant, guests hear about the Museum as a solid research and teaching facility with an interest in long-term relationships with the community. They are told that over 60,000 visitors annually attend an exciting roster of mostly free exhibits, public activities, events and special lectures, and that more than 24,000 viewers consult the Museum’s website each month. And they know that while the Museum remains a priceless architectural testimony to 19th century ideals, it is fully a party to 21st century educational and scientific progress. Speaking about the Redpath Museum, well-respected Montreal architect, Julia Gersovitz, recently wrote in The Gazette: “When you walk in and go up the stairs you feel that you are entering a temple of learning. You feel more significant, more important, you know that you’re about to participate in an experience that is not mundane.” In 1882, Dawson created a museum within a university campus. He set the terms for its collections, educational priorities, relations with the public and academic mission and these principles hold to this day. Yet the size and scope of the Museum and the specialized research of its professors and their graduate students far exceed anything that Dawson could have envisioned. The march to its current state has been far from steady, making its current vitality and renewed relevance all the more remarkable. M


REDPATH MUSEUM ARTEFACT

Codex Canadensis

F

irst illustrated in the Codex Canadensis in the late 1600s as a unicorn horn, the narwhal tusk remains an object of mystery and awe. Measuring over two metres, this single left incisor — usually found only in male narwhals — exceeds the height of most adult humans. It is the creature’s only tooth. Its formidable appearance explains how it inspired the legend of the unicorn. Narwhals have other unique characteristics that make them amazing creatures. Nearly blind, their entire sense of the world is acoustic. They navigate using sonar reflection and communicate by emitting clicks. Because they live most of the year under the polar ice, little is known about their behaviour and ecology. The Inuit have harvested narwhal meat and ivory for over a thousand years and a regulated subsistence hunt continues to this day. However, narwhal populations are at risk due to the effects of climate change, their narrow geographical range and their specialized diet. M

I

llustrée pour la première fois dans le Codex Canadensis à la fin du XVIIe siècle et présentée comme une corne de licorne, la défense de narval demeure source de mystère et de fascination. Mesurant plus de deux mètres, cette incisive gauche — qu’on ne trouve normalement que chez les narvals mâles — dépasse la hauteur de la plupart des humains adultes. C’est l’unique dent que possède cet animal. Son aspect redoutable explique qu’elle ait inspiré la légende de la licorne. Le narval présente d’autres caractères uniques qui en font une créature étonnante. Presque aveugle, il ne perçoit le monde que par l’ouïe. Il navigue par écholocation et communique en émettant des clics. Comme il vit la plus grande partie de l’année sous la glace polaire, on sait peu de chose de son comportement et de son écologie. Les Inuits ont récolté la viande et l’ivoire du narval pendant plus d’un millier d’années et pratiquent encore à ce jour une chasse de subsistance réglementée. Cependant, les populations de narval sont en danger en raison des effets du changement climatique, de leur aire restreinte et de leur régime spécialisé. M Codex Canadensis. Photo: Rohinton Ghandhi, 2013.

auparavant. L’auditorium fut rénové et modernisé pour des vidéoconférences, attirant un plus grand nombre d’étudiants dans les classes. Cela a amené à rénover le rez-de-chaussée menant à l’auditorium, puis, grâce à une subvention de la province de Québec en 2001, à la rénovation complète et à la restauration des salles principales, qui ont retrouvé leur majesté victorienne. En 2010, le labo d’enseignement décrépit a été entièrement rénové pour devenir une salle d’apprentissage polyvalente. Plus récemment, une nouvelle réserve hors site de 2000 pieds carrés a été presque achevée. Le Musée a embauché de nouveaux professeurs pour atteindre son effectif actuel de six professeurs et a rénové de plus en plus d’espace pour accueillir le nombre croissant d’étudiants des cycles supérieurs et de boursiers postdoctoraux. Des collèges d’enseignement postsecondaire et beaucoup de départements de McGill ont commencé à utiliser ces locaux pour donner des cours. Pour la première fois, le Musée a commencé à enseigner et à administrer ses propres cours. Il a consolidé ses relations avec d’autres musées et est devenu membre de l’Alliance des musées d’histoire naturelle du Canada. Plusieurs subventions de catalogage et d’inventaire informatiques ont été obtenues du Programme d’aide aux musées (PAM) et du Réseau canadien d’information sur le patrimoine (RCIP). Le Musée Redpath est entré dans le XXIe siècle entièrement transformé. Nous sommes en mars 2012, lors de la célébration du 130e anniversaire du Musée Redpath à l’Auditorium du Musée. Là où Dawson, le premier directeur du Musée, s’installait jadis pour donner ses cours, se tient Green, le neuvième directeur du Musée, vêtu comme Dawson et présentant les débuts de l’histoire de l’établissement. À la suite de discours d’hommage de la principale de McGill, Heather Monroe-Blum, du vice-principal exécutif, Anthony Masi, et du doyen des sciences, Martin Grant, les invités apprennent que le Musée est un établissement de recherche et d’enseignement solide souhaitant nouer des relations à long terme avec la collectivité. On leur dit que plus de 60 000 visiteurs assistent chaque année à un éventail passionnant d’expositions pour la plupart gratuites, d’activités publiques, d’événements et de conférences spéciales, et que plus de 24 000 internautes consultent chaque mois le site Web du Musée. Et ils savent que, bien que le Musée demeure un témoignage architectural inestimable des idéaux du XIXe siècle, il participe pleinement au progrès éducatif et scientifique du XXIe siècle. Parlant du Musée Redpath, Julia Gersovitz, architecte montréalaise respectée, a récemment écrit dans The Gazette : « Quand on entre et qu’on gravit l’escalier, on sent qu’on pénètre dans un temple du savoir. On se sent plus important, on sait qu’on s’apprête à participer à une expérience qui n’est pas banale. » En 1882, Dawson a créé un musée au sein d’un campus universitaire. Il a établi les modalités de ses collections, de l’établissement de priorités en matière d’éducation, des relations avec le public et de la mission universitaire, et ces principes demeurent les mêmes aujourd’hui. Pourtant, la dimension et la portée du Musée, et les recherches spécialisées de ses professeurs et de ses étudiants des cycles supérieurs, dépassent de loin ce qu’avait pu envisager Dawson. Le chemin a été semé d’embûches, ce qui rend d’autant plus remarquable la vitalité actuelle du Musée et sa pertinence renouvelée. M janvier/février 2014 l muse

43


Redpath Museum/Musée Redpath