KIDSGUIDE MORE @ KIDSGUIDEMAGAZINE.COM
Spring/Summer 2017 • Hey, it’s Free!
SchoolGuide Best Schools
Orange County & Long Beach Metro
Small Classes Music Instruction Parent Participation Potty Training School-Break Camps Adaptive Learning Programs Hot Lunch Transportation Language Immersion Tutoring & Study Skills Technology College Prep
Public / Private Preschool - High School
PR S W
S / G IN
E M UM
7 1 0 R2
E U S IS
schools Child development centers, preschools, elementary & secondary schools. Also see: Academics and Tutoring on page 8. • EduCare 4300 Bellflower Blvd., Lakewood (562) 377-1300 5730 South St., Lakewood (562) 461-7311 EduCare Preschools of Lakewood are private, nonprofit preschools, and accept children ages 24 months through kindergarten. Each school is licensed for 70 children. Each facility leases space in a church, and both are attractive and well-maintained. There is a stable staff with very little turn-over. Parents and visitors at the school often comment on the relaxed atmosphere, and say that the children seem happy. EduCare has an open-door policy. Please feel free to just stop in, or you can call for information. See ad on page 10. • Fairmont Private Schools Four OC Locations: Anaheim, Anaheim Hills & North Tustin (714) 765-6300 www.fairmontschools.com
lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
Since 1953, Fairmont Private Schools has partnered with parents who seek the best opportunities for their children. With four OC campus locations, Fairmont is the oldest, largest, non-sectarian private school in Orange County. Known for exceptional academic student outcomes, Fairmont serves preschool through high school students and provides an individualized educational experience for each student to help them reach their full potential. Their students benefit from passionate educators, an accelerated curriculum, competitive sports, award-winning arts programs, and character development training. Fairmont also offers extended day care, academic assistance, transportation and summer programs. See ad on this page. • Friendship Academy 4120 185th St., Torrance (310) 707-1423 Community Development Center’s Friendship Academy is a non-profit organization funded by the California Department of Education. It offers child care and early education services to eligible families with children ages 2-5 years. Hours: Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 6 p.m., with full and part-day options. Potty training is not required. Low teacher/child ratio of 1 to 8. Call to register or to visit. After-school and summer programs for ages 5-12 years are also offered. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. See ad on page 8. • Grace First Presbyterian Church and Preschool 3955 Studebaker Road, Long Beach (562) 425-0080 www.gracefirst.org Grace First Presbyterian Church Preschool was
established in 1957 as an outreach to serve the children (2-5) and families of the community. They provide developmentally appropriate curriculum by providing a balance of activities that meets the cognitive, social, emotional, physical and spiritual needs of children. At Grace First Preschool, they recognize each child as a unique gift, and emphasize the development of the whole child. Their curriculum provides the opportunity to discover, explore and to express their curiosity through a balance of child discovery and teacher-guided activities; children make discoveries that build knowledge, awareness and self-confidence. Flexible schedules available, in both full and half-day programs; Monday - Friday, Monday/Wednesday/ Friday or Tuesday/Thursday; open year round. Stop by for a visit and join in the fun! See ad on page 6. • Hebrew Academy Preschool & Little Gan Infant Center 14401 Willow Lane, Huntington Beach (714) 863-0757 www.hebrewacademypreschool.org Preschoolers experience a rich program in a loving Judaic environment where developmentally appropriate academics are taught together with the skills and knowledge that will become their foundation for all future education. They are the #1 Jewish preschool in Long Beach and Orange County rated as “A High Quality Preschool” by the Orange County Department of Education and accredited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Their teachers are experienced and caring professionals, who provide a happy and stimulating pro-
kidsguide schoolguide 2017 3
hebrewacademypreschool.org • 714.863.0757
Join Us for Mommy & Me! Weekly group for moms with newborns to 3 years Great way to meet moms! Thursday, 9:30-11 a.m. Challah baking, Shabbat songs, stories & more.
FREE FIRST CLASS then only $10 per class.
Newborns to 2 Years Full & Part Time
PRESCHOOL Ages 2-5
Highest Rated on Star Quality Program! See our listing on page 57. lic #304371108
2 Minutes off the 405 Freeway in Huntington Beach
gram in a safe and secure setting. Freeway close and conveniently located. Core preschool hours are from 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. with a choice of half day or partial week and extended care from 7 a.m. - 5:45 p.m. Please call for more information. See ad on this page. • Kid Works Children’s Center 3621 E. Broadway, Long Beach (562) 438-4904 www.kidworkscc.com Kid Works offers preschool, pre-k, pre-k enrichment and after-school “Spanish Dual Immersion” kindergarten programs. Curriculum and environment are designed to stimulate, challenge, and allow children time and space to work. Kid Works’ definition of the child’s day of work is “Play with a Purpose.” Everything they do or offer children has a purpose, which is key to the child’s development. Children learn through hands-on experiences, whether gardening, cooking or painting. The staff is dedicated to the idea that children develop and learn best in an atmosphere that is warm, safe, encouraging, understanding, motivating and fun! Visit their website for detailed information, including daily activity schedules. Summer camp is also available. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. See ad on page 6.
• Lakewood Christian Schools 5336 Arbor Road, Long Beach (562) 425-3358 www.lakewoodchristianschools.org With over 35 years of excellence in Christian education, Lakewood Christian Schools uniquely lights the path to excellence in academics, faith and service for preschoolers through eighth graders. In a nurturing and loving environment, they assist parents in the maturing of their students spiritually, socially and academically. Lakewood Christian Schools is accredited by ASCI and WASC. Quality instruction is led by their credentialed teachers who focus on challenging students to reach their highest potential. Finding and expanding each student’s God-given talents is realized through their award-winning fine arts, athletic and elective programs. Contact LCS to schedule a personal tour of the campus at (562) 425-3358. See ad on page 6. • Montessori Children’s House Preschool & Elementary School 5550 Atherton St., Long Beach (562) 431-8880 5454 Atherton St., Long Beach (562) 494-3777 www.montessorischoollb.com Year-round program for children (2-12) in preschool and kindergarten through grade 6. Students are in
a multi-age group environment working individually and independently. Without a traditional grading system, classes help students to progress at their own pace. Curriculum emphasizes reading phonetically and early exposure to mathematics. Art, music, geography and social science are also included. Conveniently located with large play areas. Montessori Children’s House has been serving the community for more than 45 years. See ad on page 9. • Oakwood Academy Schools www.OASchools.com Oakwood Academy Schools offer an accelerated academic program with a hands-on approach to learning. Students learn computer skills and go on educational field trips. Enrichment activities such as karate, swimming, piano, dance and gymnastics are offered. See ad on this page. Creative Day Academy (562) 634-7527 8740 Ramona Ave., Bellflower Age 2 through 1st grade. Lic. 191598510. Oakwood Preschool & Academy (562) 426-6264 3850 Long Beach Blvd. , Long Beach Ages 2 through 5th grade. Lic. 198011608. Oaktree Preschool & Kindergarten (562) 597-8611 1710 Redondo Ave., Long Beach Age 2 through Kindergarten. Lic. 191601050.
OAKWOOD ACADEMY SCHOOLS OASchools.com
• Reading • Phonics • Computer • Math • Science • Music • Piano & Keyboard • Foreign Languages
• Gymnastics • Dance • Karate • Field Trips • Hot Lunches • Summer Programs: Academics • Field Trips & Swimming
CREATIVE DAY ACADEMY
1710 Redondo Ave., Long Beach • 597-8611
8740 Ramona Ave., Bellflower • 634-7527
3850 Long Beach Bl., Long Beach • 426-6264
Age 2 thru Kindergarten 4 kidsguide schoolguide 2017
Age 2 thru 1st Grade
Age 2 thru 5th Grade
lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
Lakewood Christian School Is Waiting For You! K-8 Open House May 23 @ 7pm
We offer a loving environment that nurtures academic, social and spiritual growth. Call or email today for a personal tour! 5336 Arbor Rd., Long Beach (562) 425-3358 • email@example.com
Spanish Dual Immersion Afterschool Program
3621 E. Broadway, Long Beach • 562.438.4904 • www.kidworkscc.com
CHILDREN’S CENTER Pre-K Programs 7am-5:55pm or 8:00-Noon After School Kindergarten Program: 11:30 am-5:30 pm
Family Resources HQ:
kidsguidemagazine.com 6 kidsguide schoolguide 2017
• Open School 681 N. Rancho Santiago Blvd., Orange (949) 373-5440 www.openschooloc.com The Open School is Orange County’s first and only democratic free school. Instead of curriculum and classes, students learn through life and democracy. Instead of teachers, they learn from everyone. Open School students grow in independence, responsibility, and compassion by practicing them daily and authentically. The school offers restorative justice, age mixing, life learning, world schooling, and no homework. Stop testing. Start growing. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. See ad on page 4. Parent-Participation Play Groups/Preschools www.ccppns.org Play groups and preschools (33 mos-5 yrs) are run independently by parents with a certified director at each session. Levels of parent commitment vary. Visit the website for a list of local schools. • Preschools - Long Beach and Orange County Belmont Shore (562) 439-3369 www.BelmontShorePreschool.com Cerritos (562) 865-0482 www.CerritosLanePreschool.com Cerritos/Artesia (562) 860-6302 www.CerritosLearningTreePreschool.com Cypress, south (714) 828-9000 www.CypressPreschool.com Cypress, north (714) 527-2744 www.CypressLearningTreePreschool.com Fullerton (714) 526-7855 www.AcaciaTreePreschool.com Los Alamitos/Rossmoor (562) 431-6553 www.RossmoorPreschool.com Westminster (714) 894-4036 www.TownCountryPreschool.com Year-round preschools, for ages 2-5 years, offer an accelerated academic program that includes science, math and language development. Potty training, hot lunches and pre-kindergarten are available. Instruction is provided by skillful, creative teachers that offer partday and full-day classes. See ad on page 11. • Valley Christian Schools Cerritos area (562) 860-0556 www.vcschools.org At Valley Christian you’ll find an inescapable link between excellence in education and a Biblical Worldview. Students enjoy outstanding training in fine arts, sports, honors and AP courses (with unparalleled pass rates), and STEM, including award-winning robotics. All courses are taught by highly-engaged Christian teachers who consider their profession a calling. They guide students to academic excellence, artistic accomplishment and athletic distinction. Preschool through 12th grade operates on four separate campuses, and offers a wide variety of experience-based and progressive learning opportunities, including multi-age classes at the elementary campus. 97% of VCHS graduates go on to colleges and universities. About 30% each year are accepted at the nation’s top 100 colleges and universities. You’re welcomed to come and see any of the Valley Christian campuses. Your first visit will include an Educational Success Consultation with one of the principals, followed by a tour. Contact Dianne Grasmeyer to schedule your visit, (562) 860-0556. See ad on page 7. lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
kidsguide schoolguide 2017 7
The Community Development Center, Inc.
Friendship Academy Friendship Academy-Torrance
AC T I VE L E A R N I N G
Where Learning Never Ends... Ages 2-5 • Monday - Friday
All Day & Part Day After School & Summer Program for ages 5-12 Potty trained NOT required ion trat Center Private-Non-Profit Care) egis pen Torrance Preschool (3-5 years)* R(Subsidized
O NowTorrance4120 185th Street St., Torrance. CA 90504
Mon-Fri All Day & Part310.707.1423 Day (8a.m. -11a.m.)
• Allison Tutoring 4102 South St., Lakewood (562) 822-6488 www.allisontutoring.com Allison Tutoring offers services for all ages and all subjects. See how the dedicated team at Allison Tutoring combines old-school with new schools of thought; where high-tech meets hands-on; and where all students learning styles are embraced and utilized. Their award-winning private tutoring program incorporates individualized lessons tailor-made to fit your child’s learning style and academic needs. Contact today for information on school-year tutoring, summer tutoring or summer camp options. See ad on page 10.
academics & tutoring
Ms. Alecia: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org Potty trained NOT required Ms. Alma: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org Teacher/Child Ratio 1 to 8 Private and Subsidized Services Available
• Westerly School of Long Beach 2950 E. 29th St., Long Beach Join Us For (562) 981-3151 www.westerlyschool.org Westerly School is the only independent, non-sectarian school serving kindergarten through grade March 10theight in Long Beach. Westerly’s mission is to develop each child’s full potential intellectually, emotionally, morally, 9a.m.-6p.m. and physically through a balanced curriculum connecting the core academic courses to the arts, foreign The Community Development Center, Inc. 310.518.0776 www.cdcfa.org language, and physical education. The school engages
Individual and group tutoring, including academic enrichment classes and workshops. Also see: Schools. • Academic Enrichment Camp at CSULB 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach (562) 985-2570, (562) 985-2216 www.csulb.edu/summer-camps www.longbeachstate.com Various academic subjects covered. Kindergarten Preparedness Program and 1st through 5th gradelevel academic curriculum as well as art and computers. 6th-8th grade math, engineering/technology, language arts, writing and art. Children will be di-
Happy with Your Child’s Grades? Help Your Child
Today in Reading, Math & Writing.
Call Us Today
to Schedule a Free Diagnostic Assessment. 8 kidsguide schoolguide 2017
vided by grade level with a low student/teacher ratio. The 2017 sessions: June 19 - July 14 and July 17 August 11, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - noon, $520. Morning supervision is available, 7:15-8:30 a.m. (additional fee). Free supervision is also provided during lunch for those children attending the 49er Youth Sports Camp. Registration began March 15th. Enrollment is confirmed with a completed application and full payment. Online registration and credit card payment only. See ad on page 5.
• Intensive Program for Children in Reading, Math and Writing (Also Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 & Higher Math) • One-to-One Instruction • FREE DIAGNOSTIC ASSESSMENT • Great Family Discount Plans • All Credit Cards Accepted • Monthly Payment Plans
• Build It Workspace 4388 Cerritos Ave., Los Alamitos (714) 947-0800 www.buildit.ws/tutoring Build It Workspace offers tutoring and enrichment classes in the STEAM subjects of science, technology, engineering, arts, and math for students (grades K-12). Their enthusiastic instructors use practices
$50 FREE TUITION with Ad Atlantic Ave
185th *Turned 3 on or 4120 before September 1st
students and illuminates the joy of learning through project-based instruction that focuses on hands-on experiences and real world connections, while cultivating self-esteem, self-awareness, respect, collaboration, creativity and critical thinking skills. Westerly is committed to nurturing students’ creativity, developing problem solvers and idea-makers prepared to make a difference today and in the future. Summer at Westerly program also offered. See ad on page 7.
4215 Atlantic Avenue 562-653-4380 Long Beach, CA 90807 (Same plaza as Cold Stone Creamery NEXT to Domino’s Pizza)
lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
from engineering, programming, and the sciences to excite creativity in curious young learners. Private and group sessions are available (K-12). Chess Palace 5246 Lampson Ave., Garden Grove (310) 594-3475 www.chesspalace.com Weekly classes for grades K-12 and adults. Plus, tournaments and camps. • Club Z! In Home Tutoring Services (562) 206-2501 www.clubztutoring.com/longbeach Club Z! In-Home Tutoring Services, the world’s largest in-home tutoring program, tutors all subjects and all ages. Offering one-on-one instruction in your home or preferred location and flexible scheduling for even the busiest students, their tutors enrich, maintain or remediate reading, writing, math and science skills, organization/study skills, foreign languages, SAT/ACT prep, college assistance, and kindergarten readiness. All tutors are certified teachers or degreed professionals who customize programs for your student using their school curriculum. Club Z! offers affordable rates, flexible scheduling, and tutoring in the convenience of your home! Call or visit their website. See ad on this page. • Concordia University Irvine - Entrepreneurship/ Business Start-Up Camp for Kids (949) 214-3198 cui.edu/kea, cui.edu/tea Summer Business Day Camp for kids (grades 5-8) is an interactive one-week learning experience about entrepreneurship and starting and running their own real-work business. Teen Entrepreneur Academy is a one-week residential summer academy, open to high school students to learn real-world business principles from successful entrepreneurs. See ad on page 8.
Reading Program, June 1 - August 15. Young readers (kids and teens) at most Los Angeles and Orange county libraries will enjoy a “Build a Better World” theme. Various community agencies offer incentives and prizes for program participants. In addition, free weekly entertainment is available at local branches and includes music, puppets, magic and storytelling. To find library locations,
hours and story times, visit www.kidsguidemagazine. com online Directory under “Libraries.” • Moving Mindz 4000 Long Beach Blvd., Ste. 205, Long Beach www.movingmindz.com/tutoring Moving Mindz provides individual and group tutoring
Libraries Many libraries offer homework help, including academic workshops and story times. Plus, join the Summer
Children’s House Since 1967
Ages 2-6 • Year-Round Program Individualized Instruction • Open 7 am to 6 pm
Grades K-6 • Phonics, Art, Music, Geography Social Science • Year-Round Program
Long Beach Locations: 5550 Atherton St., (562) 431-8880 5454 Atherton St., (562) 494-3777 lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
kidsguide schoolguide 2017 9
in mathematics and science for kindergarten - grade 12, including SAT/ACT Math, AP Calculus AB/BC and AP Physics. They accommodate to every learning style and customize each student’s experience to meet their academic goals. Whether your child needs some extra support with their homework or to prepare for an upcoming exam, Moving Mindz is here to help them succeed! See ad on page 12. Recreation Departments, Boys and Girls Clubs, Community Colleges and YMCAs Boys and Girls Clubs - All branches provide homework tutoring. College Prep is offered at some locations. California State University Long Beach - The Community Clinic for Counseling and Educational Services offers assessment and tutoring for school-age kids (6-17), plus transitional planning for disabled youth (16-22) and developmental assessments (36). Scholarships available. (562) 985-4991, www. ced.csulb.edu/edpac/clinic Cerritos College, Community Education - Math Essentials Tutoring (grades 3-8), Multi-Level Math Tutoring in Algebra, Geometry, Trig. or Calculus (grades 7-12), SAT/PSAT Prep (grades 10-12) and Robotics Level I or II (grades 6-9). (562) 4675050, www.cerritoscommunityed.com Cypress Recreation and Community Services - Tutoring Club (grades pre-K-12) arranged by individual appointment. $140 for four, one-hour sessions; continuous registration. (714) 229-6780. www.cypressrec.org Fountain Valley Community Services - Storybook Art (2-5), Preschool Trilingual Immersion Programs (3-5), Writing Enrichment (7-12), English and Math Enrichment (6-12), and Trilingual Immersion (6-12). (714) 839-8611. www.fountainvalley.org Fullerton Parks and Recreation - Math and Reading Development (grades 2-6), and Reading Development Sound-Start (grades K-1). (714) 738-6575. www.ci.fullerton.ca.us Irvine Community Services Department - Hey! Hebrew’s Fun (3-6), Parent and Me: Mandarin Together (2-5), Mandarin Story Time (2-5), ABCs with Toddlers (2-3), ABCs with Tiny Tots (3-5), Mornings with Miss Tammy Tots (2-4), Mornings with Miss Tammy (3-6), Afternoons with Miss Tammy (3-6), My Fun Time and Later Gators (3-5), Mandarin Immersion Preschool (3-5), OC First Chinese Preschool and Kinder Class (3-5), On Your Mark. Get Set. Grow! (3-6), Readings Readiness Program (3-6), Reading, Math and More Preschool (3½-5½), Readwrite Kinder Prep (3½-5½), Tiny Trekkers Play School (3-
5), Bug Buddies (3-5), Dino Fun (3-5), Sound Start Reading (4½-6½, Reading and Math Development (grades 2-6), Youth Leadership and Public Speaking (7-14), 3-D Game Design (8-14), Angry Birdie with Lego (5-12), Computer Programming for Kids (711), Frozen Brick Explorer with Lego (5-12), Human Body: We are Super II (5-12), Lego Story Telling (5-6), Marine Animals: Amazing Waterworld (5-12), Minecraft University: Python Temple (8-14), Mix and Match Biology II (5-12), Plants: Know Your Greens (5-12), Robotics and Engineering with Lego - Gadgets and Gizmos (6-12), Science Bonanza (6-12), Weird Science (6-12), World of Minions with Lego (5-12), Young Einsteins: STEM Lab (6-8), Your Five Senses (6-12), and Jump Start Biology (8-15). (949) 7246610. www.irvinequickreg.org • Lakewood Recreation and Community Services Free after-school tutoring programs are available at some parks throughout the school year. Academic classes taught by Readwrite Educational Solutions: Math Development and Reading Development (612), $79 and Sound-Start Reading (4½-7), $79. • Long Beach Parks, Recreation and Marine - Baby Sign Language (2 mos - I yrs, 6 mos), Tot Sign Language (1½-3) Intro to Preschool (2-3), Preschool Class (3-5), Reading, Math and More Preschool (3½-4½), Spanish Musical Parent and Me Playgroup (1-3), Analyze This Writing Response (8-18 and 11-14), Sound Start Reading (4-7), ProjectBased Writing (8-15) and Reading and Math Development (6-11); three-week sessions, $79. (562) 570-3100. www.longbeach.gov Los Alamitos Recreation - Project-Based Writing (815). (562) 430-1073. www.cityoflosalamitos.org Los Alamitos Youth Center - Free tutoring services (7-17) and R.A.S.C.A.L.S, an afterschool club (4-11) in math, science, reading and more. Monday - Friday, 12:30-6 p.m. Plus a teen Leadership Academy. (562) 493-4043. 10909 Oak St., Los Alamitos. www. theyouthcenter.org Mission Viejo Recreation - Middle School Math Homework Lab (grades 6-8) and Homework Assistance Lab. (949) 470-3000. www.cityofmissionviejo.org Orange Coast College - Robotics Building (10-16), Writing Academy I and II (7-11), Math Trix (9-15), Natural As (10-17) and Study Skills (9-15). (714) 432-5154. www.orangecoastcollege.augusoft.net Orange Community Services - Programs include Reading Solutions (5-11), Math Development (511), and Tutoring Unlimited (8-17). (714) 8952860. www.cityoforange.org
FULL PRESCHOOL CURRICULUM
PRESCHOOL AND KINDERGARTEN “The Best in Education & Care For Your Child”
4300 Bellflower Blvd., Lakewood, 90713 Lic#198006164 • Methodist Church Lkwd.
10 kidsguide schoolguide 2017
Ages 2-6 7am-6pm Mon-Fri POTTY TRAINING 2 LOCATIONS 5730 South St., Lakewood, 90713 Lic#198008598 • Trinity Church
lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
Santa Ana College - Early Reader (6-7), Reading and Comprehension (8-12), Study Skills (12-17), Research Writing and English Composition (9-12), Writing Workshops (6-17), Math: Basics, Fractions, Pre-Algebra and Algebra (8-15). (714) 564-6594. www.sac.edu/cms
Tustin Community Services - Abacus Class and Abacus Creative Writing (5-12). (714) 573-3326. www. tustinca.org
Belmont Shore Children’s Center BelmontShorePreschool.com 30 W. Termino Ave., Long Beach (562) 439-3369
Early Learning Preschool CypressPreschool.com 4539 Cerritos Ave., Cypress (714) 828-9000
Cerritos Learning Tree Preschool CerritosLearningTreePreschool.com 19023 Norwalk Blvd., Artesia (562) 860-6302
Cypress Learning Tree CypressLearningTreePreschool.com 5417 Bishop St., Cypress (714) 527-2744
Rossmoor Children’s Center RossmoorPreschool.com 4161 Green Ave., Los Alamitos (562) 431-6553
Cerritos Lane Preschool CerritosLanePreschool.com 20223 Cabrillo Lane, Cerritos (562) 865-0482
Acacia Tree Preschool AcaciaTreePreschool.com 1701 E. Chapman Ave., Fullerton (714) 526-7855
Town & County Preschool TownCountryPreschool.com 14203 Willow Ln., Westminster (714) 894-4036
Westminster Community Services and Recreation Academic classes include reading, writing, geometry and public speaking (grades 2-8), $110. (714) 8952860. www.westminster-ca.gov • Stowell Learning Center 1150 Main St., Ste. C, Irvine (949) 477-4133 www.learningdisability.com “Hope and Real Solutions for Learning and Attention Challenges.” These include: dyslexia, auditory processing disorders, learning disabilities, attention deficit, Executive Function, processing skills, Autism Spectrum Disorders, reading, writing, spelling and math. They work one-to-one with children and adults to develop the underlying learning issues and processing skills that are keeping them from working to their potential, and to remediate reading, writing, spelling and math. They don’t provide a bandaid approach, or help students with homework; they help them develop the skills they need to do their homework on their own. Their goal is for students to become comfortable, independent
• Arts • Academics • Social Development • Hot Lunch • Potty Training • Clean/Safe Environment • Caring, Loving Teachers • Toddlers • Pre-K
Summer Swim School at Rossmoor! Rossmoor Children’s Center & Swim School
• Pool Heated to 90˚• Gentle Approach • Red Cross Certified Instructors • Ages 3+ • 4 Children Per Class • Splash and Play: Children enrolled in our preschool play in our wading pool all summer long for FREE!
www.RossmoorPreschool.com • 562.431.6553
Buzzz SOMEONE Sign up friends and family for The Buzzz! They’ll love getting a free weekly email filled with tons of local family events, outings, contests, coupons and lots more. Plus ... maybe they’ll even take your kids! Hint, hint.
Sign them up HERE. lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
kidsguide schoolguide 2017 11
learners. Their programs and strategies are cutting edge, research-based and among the most highly effective available. For information about how Stowell Learning Center can help you or your child, join them at one of their free Parent Nights. Locations in Irvine and Chino. See ad on this page.
Saturday and Weekday Classes:
o Leg ering Coding e in Eng Rob
Game Design Mine craft
mindz-one.com (562) 318-9966
Your 1st Session is Free!
12 kidsguide schoolguide 2017
• Sylvan Learning Centers Downey (562) 622-9210 Huntington Beach (714) 848-6072 Laguna Niguel (949) 349-1835 Long Beach (562) 429-8320 www.sylvanlearning.com At Sylvan, results matter! Sylvan students typically see up to two to three times more growth in their math and reading scores than if they hadn’t come to Sylvan. With Sylvan, you’ll get a personalized tutoring program tailored to the needs of your child. Their proven approach blends amazing credentialed teachers with Sylvan Sync technology on the iPad. Programs are designed to fit your family’s busy schedule and budget. Call today for more details! See ad on pages 2 and 9.
• The Tutoring Center 4215 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach (562) 653-4380 www.tutoringcenter.com Are you happy with your child’s grades? Call The Tutoring Center today to schedule your Free Diagnostic Assessment. The Tutoring Center uses a unique system known as “The Rotational Approach to Learning.” Your child will receive intense one-to-one instruction in reading, math (all levels) and/or writing to rapidly increase academic skills while also improving concentration, focus and attention span. See ad on page 8.
This is a
lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
Check out our list of the best preschools, private schools, and tutoring programs in the Long Beach area and Orange County.