KIDSGUIDE MORE @ KIDSGUIDEMAGAZINE.COM
Winter 2017 • Hey, it’s Free!
SchoolGuide Best Schools
Orange County & Long Beach Metro
Public / Private Preschool - High School
Small Classes Music Instruction Parent Participation Potty Training School-Break Camps Adaptive Learning Programs Hot Lunch Transportation Language Immersion Tutoring & Study Skills Technology College Prep
schools Child development centers, preschools, elementary and secondary schools. Also see: Academics and Tutoring on page 6. • Educare 4300 Bellflower Blvd., Lakewood (562) 377-1300 5730 South St., Lakewood (562) 461-7311 EduCare Preschools of Lakewood are private, non-profit preschools, and accept children ages 24 months through kindergarten. Each school is licensed for 70 children. Each facility leases space in a church, and both are attractive and well-maintained. There is a stable staff with very little turnover. Parents and visitors at the school often comment on the relaxed atmosphere, and say that the children seem happy. EduCare has an open-door policy. Please feel free to just stop in, or you can call for information. See ad on page 8.
lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
• The Hebrew Academy Preschool 14401 Willow Lane, Huntington Beach (714) 863-0757 www.hebrewacademypreschool.org Preschoolers experience a rich program in a loving Judaic environment where developmentally appropriate academics are taught together with the skills and knowledge that will become their foundation for all future education. Their teachers are experienced and caring professionals, who provide a happy and stimulating program in a safe and secure setting. Freeway close and conveniently located. Core preschool hours are from 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. with a choice of half day or partial week and extended care from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. Please call for more information. See ad on page 4. • Kid Works Children’s Center 3621 E. Broadway, Long Beach (562) 438-4904 www.kidworkscc.com Kid Works offers preschool, pre-k, pre-k enrichment and after-school “Spanish Dual Immersion” kindergarten programs. Curriculum and environment are designed to stimulate, challenge, and allow children time and space to work. Kid Works’ definition of the child’s day of work is “Play with a Purpose.” Everything they do or offer children has a purpose, which is
key to the child’s development. Children learn through hands-on experiences, whether gardening, cooking or painting. The staff is dedicated to the idea that children develop and learn best in an atmosphere that is warm, safe, encouraging, understanding, motivating and fun! Visit their website for detailed information, including daily activity schedules. Email: kidworkscc@hotmail. com. See ad on page 6. • Lakewood Christian Schools 5336 Arbor Road, Long Beach (562) 425-3358 www.lakewoodchristianschools.org With over 35 years of excellence in Christian education, Lakewood Christian Schools uniquely lights the path to excellence in academics, faith and service for preschoolers through eighth graders. In a nurturing and loving environment, they assist parents in the maturing of their students spiritually, socially and academically. Lakewood Christian Schools is accredited by ASCI and WASC. Quality instruction is led by their credentialed teachers who focus on challenging students to reach their highest potential. Finding and expanding each student’s God-given talents is realized through their award-winning fine arts, athletic and elective programs. Contact LCS to schedule a personal tour of the campus at (562) 425-3358. See ad on page 6.
kidsguide schoolguide 2017 3
• Montessori Children’s House Preschool & Elementary School 5550 Atherton St., Long Beach (562) 431-8880 5454 Atherton St., Long Beach (562) 494-3777 www.montessorischoollb.com Year-round program for children (2-12) in preschool and kindergarten through grade 6. Students are in a multi-age group environment working individually and independently. Without a traditional grading system, classes help students to progress at their own pace. Curriculum emphasizes reading phonetically and early exposure to mathematics. Art, music, geography and social science are also included. Conveniently located with large play areas. Montessori Children’s House has been serving the community for more than 45 years. See ad on page 8.
For children ages 3 months - 2 years preschool 2-5 years full & part time
Join Us for Mommy & Me! Thursday from 9:30-11 a.m. Challah baking, Shabbat songs, stories & more.
First class complimentary, then only $10 per class. 2 Minutes off the 405 Freeway in Huntington Beach
• Oakwood Academy Schools www.OASchools.com Oakwood Academy Schools offer an accelerated academic program with a hands-on approach to learning. Students learn computer skills and go on educational field trips. Enrichment activities such as karate, swimming, piano, dance and gymnastics are offered. See ad on this page. Creative Day Academy (562) 634-7527 8740 Ramona Ave., Bellflower Age 2 through 1st grade. Lic. 191598510. Oakwood Preschool & Academy (562) 426-6264 3850 Long Beach Blvd., Long Beach Ages 2 through 5th grade. Lic. 198011608. Oaktree Preschool & Kindergarten(562) 597-8611 1710 Redondo Ave., Long Beach Age 2 through Kindergarten. Lic. 191601050. Parent-Participation Playgroups and Preschools www.ccppns.org Play groups and preschools (33 mos-5 yrs) are run independently by parents with a certified director at each session. Levels of parent commitment vary. Visit the website for a list of local schools.
• Pillars Academy 23581 Madero, Ste., #104, Mission Viejo (949) 951-0442 www.pillarsacademy.org Pillars Academy is a NAEYC accredited Early Childhood Development Center established in the year 2000 serving Infant through Kindergarten students. The talented and credentialed educators at Pillars Academy provide students with a nurturing environment, one-on-one individualized attention, and the skills needed to excel at every developmental stage. Parents will experience an immediate sense of comfort and ease as they transition their children into a second home. The school continues to fulfill its mission of supporting a diverse community of bright, inquisitive, and compassionate students as they discover themselves, explore their world, and honor their responsibility as future leaders. See ad on page 8. • Prentice School 18341 Lassen Drive, North Tustin (714) 244-4600 www.prentice.org Founded in 1986, the school serves bright students in grade K-8 with dyslexia and other language-based learning differences and related learning challenges, such as ADHD and anxiety. Their mission is to empower children with learning differences to fulfill their potential by using a multi-sensory teaching approach and an adaptive learning environment. With a 10:1 student to faculty ratio, small classrooms engage students in a manner of learning that is conducive to their unique needs. Additional services include: speech and language, occupational therapy, social skills and educational assistive technology, along with a wide range of enrichment activities to develop and maximize each child’s abilities. As a private, nonprofit and nonpublic academic school accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, The Prentice School has established a reputation as one of the leading schools for students with learning differences. See ad on page 5. • Preschools - Long Beach & Orange County Belmont Shore (562) 439-3369 www.BelmontShorePreschool.com
OAKWOOD ACADEMY SCHOOLS OASchools.com
• Reading • Phonics • Computer • Math • Science • Music • Piano & Keyboard • Foreign Languages
• Gymnastics • Dance • Karate • Field Trips • Hot Lunches • Summer Programs: Academics • Field Trips & Swimming
CREATIVE DAY ACADEMY
1710 Redondo Ave., Long Beach • 597-8611
8740 Ramona Ave., Bellflower • 634-7527
3850 Long Beach Bl., Long Beach • 426-6264
Age 2 thru Kindergarten 4 kidsguide schoolguide 2017
Age 2 thru 1st Grade
Age 2 thru 5th Grade
lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
Lakewood Christian School Is Waiting For You! Kindergarten Preview
K-8 Open House
February 24 @ 9am
May 23 @ 7pm
We offer a loving environment that nurtures academic, social and spiritual growth. Call or email today for a personal tour! 5336 Arbor Rd., Long Beach (562) 425-3358 • firstname.lastname@example.org
3591 Orangewood Ave., Los Alamitos (562) 296-9060 www.sthedwigk8.org
Spanish Dual Immersion Afterschool Program
3621 E. Broadway, Long Beach • 562.438.4904 • www.kidworkscc.com
CHILDREN’S CENTER Pre-K Programs 7am-5:55pm or 8:00-Noon After School Kindergarten Program: 11:30 am-5:30 pm
Family Resources HQ:
kidsguidemagazine.com 6 kidsguide schoolguide 2017
Cerritos (562) 865-0482 www.CerritosLanePreschool.com Cerritos/Artesia (562) 860-6302 www.CerritosLearningTreePreschool.com Cypress, south (714) 828-9000 www.CypressPreschool.com Cypress, north (714) 527-2744 www.CypressLearningTreepreschool.com Fullerton (714) 526-7855 www.AcaciaTreePreschool.com Los Alamitos/Rossmoor (562) 431-6553 www.RossmoorPreschool.com Westminster (714) 894-4036 www.TownCountryPreschool.com Year-round preschools, for ages 2-5 years, offer an accelerated academic program that includes science, math and language development. Potty training, hot lunches and pre-kindergarten are available. Instruction is provided by skillful, creative teachers that offer part-day and full-day classes. See ad on page 3. • St. Catherine’s Academy 215 N Harbor Blvd., Anaheim (714) 772-1363 www.stcatherinesacademy.org St. Catherine’s Academy (SCA) is an all boys’ Catholic school with a military tradition serving students in transitional kindergarten to 8th grade. Founded in 1889 by the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose, SCA offers both day and boarding opportunities. SCA’s military tradition provides a structured environment that helps boys grow into responsible, self-motivated young men. For more information, visit or call (714) 772-1363. See ad on page 3. • St. Hedwig School 3591 Orangewood Ave., Los Alamitos (562) 296-9060 www.sthedwigk8.org Serving students from TK-8th grade, St. Hedwig School strives to develop the whole child, one who is academically competitive and who demonstrates good character grounded in Catholic values. They aim to provide an exceptional educational experience and to empower students to face the challenges of 21st century learning and make a difference in their world. In addition to rigorous academics, St. Hedwig offers music, the arts and physical education classes, plus competitive sports and after-school enrichment programs. The entire St. Hedwig family of teachers and administrators welcome the opportunity to partner with you as parents, to guide and educate your child. Open enrollment is year-round. See ad on page 9. • Valley Christian Schools Cerritos area (562) 860-0556 www.vcschools.org At Valley Christian you’ll find an inescapable lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
kidsguide schoolguide 2017 7
EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT CENTER Infant–Kindergarten Half Days, Full Days and Partial Week Options To learn more, call
www.pillarsacademy.org Mission Viejo CA 92691
link between excellence in education and a Biblical worldview. Students enjoy outstanding training in fine arts, sports, honors and AP courses (with unparalleled pass rates), and STEM, including award-winning robotics. All courses are taught by highly-engaged Christian teachers who consider their profession a calling. They guide students to academic excellence, artistic accomplishment and athletic distinction. Preschool through 12th grade operates on four separate campuses, and offers a wide variety of experience-based and progressive learning opportunities, including multi-age classes at the elementary campus. 97% of VCHS graduates go on to colleges and universities. About 30% each year are accepted at the nation’s top 100 colleges and universities. You’re welcomed to come and see any of the Valley Christian campuses. Your first visit will include an Educational Success Consultation with one of the principals, followed by a tour. Contact Dianne Grasmeyer to schedule your visit, (562) 8600556. See ad on page 7.
Help Your Child
Today in Reading, Math & Writing.
Call Us Today
to Schedule a Free Diagnostic Assessment. 8 kidsguide schoolguide 2017
Chess Palace 5246 Lampson Ave., Garden Grove (310) 594-3475 www.chesspalace.com Classes, tournaments and camps. • Club Z! In Home Tutoring Services (562) 206-2501 www.clubztutoring.com/longbeach Club Z! In-Home Tutoring Services, the world’s largest in-home tutoring program, tutors all subjects and all ages. Offering one-on-one instruction in your home or preferred location and flexible scheduling for even the busiest students, their tutors are ready to enrich, maintain or remediate reading, writing, math and science skills, organization/study skills, foreign languages, SAT/ACT prep, college assistance, and kindergarten readiness. All tutors are certified teachers or degreed professionals who customize programs for your student using their school curriculum. Club Z! offers affordable rates, flexible scheduling, and tutoring in the convenience of your home! Call or visit their website. See ad on page 9.
academics & tutoring
Libraries Many libraries offer homework help, plus academic workshops and story times. See “Libraries” under the “Directory” on www.kidsguidemagazine.com. Recreation Departments, Colleges, Boys and Girls Clubs, and YMCAs Boys and Girls Clubs - All branches provide homework tutoring. College Prep is offered at some locations.
Individual and group tutoring, including academic enrichment classes and workshops. Also see: Schools. • Build It Workspace 4388 Cerritos Ave., Los Alamitos (714) 947-0800 www.buildit.ws Now offering tutoring and enrichment classes in the STEAM subjects of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math for students (grades K-12). Group and individual programs
Happy with Your Child’s Grades?
are available. Contact for a free assessment. See ad on this page.
• Intensive Program for Children in Reading, Math and Writing (Also Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 & Higher Math) • One-to-One Instruction • FREE DIAGNOSTIC ASSESSMENT • Great Family Discount Plans • All Credit Cards Accepted • Monthly Payment Plans
Buena Park Recreation - Math Workshop (813). (714) 236-3860. www.buenapark.com California State University Long Beach The Community Clinic for Counseling and Educational Services offers assessment and tutoring for school-age kids (6-17), plus
$50 FREE TUITION with Ad Atlantic Ave
Where every child is nurtured with love!
• Westerly School of Long Beach 2950 E. 29th St., Long Beach (562) 981-3151 www.westerlyschool.org Westerly School is the only independent, non-sectarian school serving kindergarten through grade eight in Long Beach. Westerly’s mission is to develop each child’s full potential intellectually, emotionally, morally, and physically through a balanced curriculum connecting the core academic courses to the arts, foreign language, and physical education. The school engages students and illuminates the joy of learning through project-based instruction that focuses on handson experiences and real world connections, while cultivating self-esteem, self-awareness, respect, collaboration, creativity and critical thinking skills. Westerly is committed to nurturing students’ creativity, developing problem solvers and idea-makers prepared to make a difference today and in the future. See ad on page 7.
4215 Atlantic Avenue 562-653-4380 Long Beach, CA 90807 (Same plaza as Cold Stone Creamery NEXT to Domino’s Pizza)
lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
transitional planning for disabled youth (1622) and developmental assessments (3-6). Scholarships available. (562) 985-4991. www.ced.csulb.edu/edpac/clinic Cerritos College, Community Education - Math Essentials Tutoring (grades 3-8), Multi-Level Math Tutoring in Algebra, Geometry, Trig or Calculus (grades 7-12), SAT/PSAT Prep (grades 1012), and Robotics Level I or II (grades 6-9). (562) 467-5050. www.cerritoscommunityed.com Chapman University - Reading and writing tutoring (grades 1-5), taught by students earning their teaching credentials. (714) 997-6613. www.chapman.edu Cypress Recreation - Tutoring Club (grades preK-12) arranged by individual appointment. $140 for four, one-hour sessions; continuous registration. (714) 229-6780. www.ci.cypress.ca.us Fountain Valley Community Services - Get Ready for Preschool (2-4), Circle Time Learning Group (1½-4½), Reading and Math (3½-5½, 6-12) and Chinese and Spanish Immersion (3-5, 6-18). (714) 839-8611. www.fountainvalley.org Fullerton Parks and Recreation - Math and Reading Development (grades 2-6), and Reading Development Sound-Start (grades K-1). (714) 738-6575. www.ci.fullerton.ca.us
Sound Start Reading (4½-6½), Chess Tactics and Strategy (6-12), Abacus Training (5-10), Computer Programming for Kids (7-12), Olympic/Singapore Math (6-11) and Jump Start Biology (9-12). (949) 724-6610. www.irvinequickreg.org Lakewood Recreation and Community Services Free after-school tutoring programs are available at
some parks throughout the school year. Math Development (6-12), $79. Academic classes taught by Readwrite also offered. (562) 866-9771, Ext. 2408. www.lakewoodcity.org Long Beach Parks, Recreation and Marine - Intro to Preschool (2-3), Preschool Class (3-5), Experiential Writing (7-12), Narrative Writing (7-
Irvine Community Services Department - ABCs with Tiny Tots (3-5), Lego Alphabricks (2½-4), Mandarin Immersion Preschool and Kindergarten (3-5, 5-6), OC First Chinese Preschool and Kinder Class (3-5), On Your Mark. Get Set. Grow! (3-6), Reading Readiness (3-6), Reading, Math and More Preschool (3½-5), Tiny Trekkers Play School (3-5), Readwrite Education: Math Development and Reading Development (grades 2-6), Readwrite Education:
Children’s House Since 1967
Ages 2-6 • Year-Round Program Individualized Instruction • Open 7 am to 6 pm
Grades K-6 • Phonics, Art, Music, Geography Social Science • Year-Round Program
Long Beach Locations: 5550 Atherton St., (562) 431-8880 5454 Atherton St., (562) 494-3777 lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
kidsguide schoolguide 2017 9
NOCCCD SCHOOL OF CONTINUING EDUCATION
Kids’ College and Teen Program
$65. (714) 808-4909. www.sce.edu/kids. See ad on page 10. Orange Coast College - Natural As (10-17), Study Skills (9-15), and Math Trix (9-15). (714) 4325154. www.orangecoastcollege.augusoft.net Orange Community Services - Reading Solutions (5-12), Math Development (5-12), and Tutoring Unlimited (5-18). (714) 895-2860. www.westminster-ca.gov
OVER 250 CLASSES IN www.sce.edu/kids ANAHEIM, CYPRESS, AND FULLERTON! A n a h e i m
C y p r e s s
F u l l e r t o n
Academics Personal Enrichment Sports & Fitness Summer Camps Teens
Strengthen Skills. Challenge Creativity. Have a Ball!
Tustin Community Services - Abacus Class (512). (714) 573-3326. www.tustinca.org Westminster Community Services and Recreation - Mental Math and Problem Solving (5-7). (714) 895-2860. www.westminster-ca.gov YMCAs - Youth and Government (10-12) and/or Model United Nations (grades 6-9) are offered at some YMCA branches.
FALL: Registration now open; classes begin October 8, 2016. WINTER: Registration opens November 16, 2016; classes begin April 17, 2017.
12), Sound Start Reading (4-7), Spanish Adventurous Saturday (4-11), and Reading and Math Development (6-11); three-week sessions, $79. (562) 570-3100. www.longbeach.gov
Chinese (6-12), and Farsi (5-11). (949) 6443151. www.newportbeachca.gov/recreation
Los Alamitos Youth Center - Free tutoring services (7-17) and R.A.S.C.A.L.S, an afterschool club (411). Monday - Friday, 12:30-6 p.m. Plus a teen Leadership Academy. (562) 493-4043. 10909 Oak St., Los Alamitos. www.theyouthcenter.org Mission Viejo Recreation - Literacy Class, Middle School Math Homework Lab (grades 7-12), Homework Assistance Lab, and college prep workshops for teens. (949) 470-3000. www.cityofmissionviejo.org Newport Beach Recreation - Chess (5-13), Strategic Magic Public Speaking (6-13), Lego Engineering (8-13), Stars Wars Lego and Story Time (6-13), Robot Building (5-12), Spanish (6-12),
• North Orange County Community Colleges (NOCCCD) Anaheim, Cypress and Fullerton Reading: Tutorial: Reading and Writing Review (grades 1-2), Basic Reading Skills (ages 4-5), Creative Writing (grades 1-2 and 3-6), Common Core Reading and Writing Prep (grades 3-4 and 5-6), Common Core Reading Comprehension Skills (grades 1-2), and Reading and Comprehension (grades 3-4); $55-65. Math: Pre-Algebra (grades 6+), Tutorial: Algebra (grades 7+), Tutorial: Discrete Mathematics I-Logic and Sets (grades 8+), Math Common Core (grades 1-6), Pre-Algebra Concepts (grades 6+), Algebra (grades 7+), PSAT/ NMSQT Math Test Prep and SAT/ACT PrepMath; $55-150. Public Speaking for Children (8-12), $55. Common Core: Preparation for Computer Keyboarding (grades 2-3 and 4-6),
FULL PRESCHOOL CURRICULUM
PRESCHOOL AND KINDERGARTEN “The Best in Education & Care For Your Child”
4300 Bellflower Blvd., Lakewood, 90713 Lic#198006164 • Methodist Church Lkwd.
10 kidsguide schoolguide 2017
Ages 2-6 7am-6pm Mon-Fri POTTY TRAINING 2 LOCATIONS 5730 South St., Lakewood, 90713 Lic#198008598 • Trinity Church
• Sylvan Learning Centers Downey (562) 622-9210 Huntington Beach (714) 848-6072 Laguna Niguel (949) 349-1835 Long Beach (562) 429-8320 www.sylvanlearning.com At Sylvan, results matter! Sylvan students typically see up to two to three times more growth in their math and reading scores than if they hadn’t come to Sylvan. With Sylvan, you’ll get a personalized tutoring program tailored to the needs of your child. Their proven approach blends amazing credentialed teachers with Sylvan Sync technology on the iPad. Programs are designed to fit your family’s busy schedule and budget. Call today for more details! See ad on page 9. • The Tutoring Center 4215 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach (562) 653-4380 www.tutoringcenter.com Are you happy with your child’s grades? Call The Tutoring Center today to schedule your Free Diagnostic Assessment. The Tutoring Center uses a unique system known as “The Rotational Approach to Learning.” Your child will receive intense one-to-one instruction in reading, math (all levels) and/or writing to rapidly increase academic skills while also improving concentration, focus and attention span. See ad on page 8.
This is a
GAME CHANGER lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
Cypress Early Learning Center Belmont Shore Children’s Center Early Learning Preschool Belmontwww.BelmontShoreChildren.com Shore Children’s Center www.CypressChild.com CypressPreschool.com BelmontShorePreschool.com 4539 Cerritos Ave., Cypress 30 S. Termino Ave., Long Beach 4539 Cerritos Ave., Cypress 30 W. Termino562-439-3369 Ave., Long Beach 714-828-9000 (714) 828-9000 (562) 439-3369 Cypress Learning Tree Cerritos Lane Preschool www.CypressLearningTree.com and After-School Care Cypress Learning Tree Cerritos Learning Tree Preschool Rossmoor Children’s Center 5417 Bishop Street, Cypress www.CerritosChild.com Rossmoor Children’s Center CypressLearningTreePreschool.com CerritosLearningTreePreschool.com RossmoorPreschool.com 714-527-2744 Cabrillo Lane,Artesia Cerritos www.RossmoorPreschool.com 5417 Bishop St., Cypress 1902320223 Norwalk Blvd., 4161 Green Ave., Los Alamitos 18 months to 6 years 4161 Green Ave., Los Alamitos (714) 527-2744 (562) 562-865-0482 860-6302 (562) 431-6553 Ages 2 to 12 years 562-431-6553 Child Cerritos Lane Preschool AcaciaFullerton Tree Preschool Development Preschool Cerritos Learning Tree Preschool CerritosLanePreschool.com AcaciaTreePreschool.com www.CerritosChild.com 20223 Cabrillo Lane, Cerritos 1701 E. www.FullertonChild.com Chapman Ave., Fullerton 1701 E. Chapman Ave., Fullerton 19023 Norwalk Blvd., Artesia (562) 865-0482 (714) 526-7855 562-860-6302
Town & County Preschool Willow Lane Preschool TownCountryPreschool.com www.WillowLanePreschool.com 14203 Ln., Westminster Westminster 14203 Willow Willow Lane, (714) 894-4036 714-894-4036
Now Enrolling! Music• Art • Art • Science • Reading Readiness Math•Skills Social Development Dramatic Play • •Hot Music • Science • Reading Readiness • Math•Skills Social •Development • Dramatic• Play • Academics HotLunch Lunch Potty Training • Clean Environment • Caring, Teachers • Pre Kindergarten Potty Training • Clean andand SafeSafe Environment • Caring, LovingLoving Teachers • Toddlers • Pre-Kindergarten Co-op Ad
Buzzz SOMEONE Sign up friends and family for The Buzzz! They’ll love getting a free weekly email filled with tons of local family events, outings, contests, coupons and lots more. Plus ... maybe they’ll even take your kids! Hint, hint.
Sign them up HERE. lots more fun at kidsguidemagazine.com
kidsguide schoolguide 2017 11
The best schools in Orange County and Long Beach Metro, plus academic and tutoring services.