Financial Aid The College is dedicated to helping students and their families make attendance at Limestone a reality, regardless of their financial situation. Limestone participates in all applicable federal and state financial aid programs including Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Work Study, and all federal loan programs (Perkins, Stafford, Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and Parent Loans). South Carolina residents are eligible for South Carolina Tuition Grants, Palmetto Fellows, LIFE, and HOPE Scholarships.
Field experience includes the following:
Mac Wicht Professor of Biology M.S., Clemson University Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University
• Visits to the salt water marsh and the coastal
environment in Charleston, Peachtree Rock in Columbia, the Great Smoky Mountains, and the Okefenokee Swamp.
• Trips to the natural history museum, to Linville Caverns, and to Chimney Rock.
• Tracking the area watershed, touring recycling,
water treatment and waste facilities, and studying environmental impact on wildlife and recovery efforts at the Carolina Raptor Center and the Walhalla Trout Hatchery.
Students also utilize the natural campus resources and work in our outdoor “laboratory” surrounding the historic Limestone Springs and participate in campus “greening” and wildlife habitat reclamation efforts through the National Wildlife Federation’s Campus Habitat Program.
HEALTH CARE BIOLOGY ADMINISTRATION Department
Limestone awards many institutional scholarships for traditional students, as well as Extended Campus students.
Suzanne R. Lindley Associate Professor of Biology M.S., Ph.D., University of Alabama-Birmingham Tamara McGovern Assistant Professor of Biology M.S., University of Houston Ph.D., Florida State University Jessica White-Phillip Assistant Professor of Biology Ph.D., University of Texas
For more information, please contact: Limestone College Office of Admissions 1115 College Drive Gaffney, South Carolina 29340 (800) 795-7151, ext. 4554 or (864) 488-4554 Fax: (864) 487-8706
The Biology Department, through the efforts of a qualified, experienced faculty and the availability of a variety of courses, strives to help all students develop their skills for graduate study or professional employment. Limestone offers a major and a minor in biology, as well as a biology education program. We enjoy state-of-the-art, modern facilities and a small student-teacher ratio. Our faculty members hold diverse interests in botany, zoology, ecology, biochemistry, genetics, anatomy, physiology, histology, and medicine.
Many of our students elect to enter a graduate school which offers a specialized aspect of the medical profession. Graduates of the Limestone Biology program have gone on to study in medical schools, dental schools, veterinary schools, schools of nursing, medical technology, pharmacy, and physical therapy. The success rate of Limestone graduates entering medical schools or veterinary schools has been remarkably high. Limestone College also offers a biology education program to prepare teachers for careers in secondary schools. This program has been very successful with several graduates every year going into public school teaching.
• Limestone has three well-equipped biology labs for instruction and research.
What Our Graduates Are Doing Now
• Hamrick Hall of Science is one of the many newly renovated buildings on campus.
• Biology graduate Miranda Dornis ('09) is employed as a Microbiologist at Ben Venue Pharmaceuticals in Ohio.
• Limestone also has several well-equipped chemistry labs, which may be used to support biological related research.
• Biology and Chemistry graduate Ian Barker ('09) earned a 4.0 GPA in his first term at Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine.
• Three computer laboratories are available for student use on Limestone’s campus. The computers are equipped with commonly used software for word processing and spreadsheets as well as resources for improving the grammar and style of research papers.
• Biology and Chemistry graduate Joseph Shreckhise ('09) achieved NSCA certification as a certified strength and conditioning coach and personal trainer. He is also running his own business called SteelFitness Training in Virginia.
• To aid in research and data retrieval, access is also available to the Internet and World Wide Web.
• Biology Education graduate Jerry Kociuruba ('03) teaches biology and coaches football and lacrosse at Beaufort Academy in Beaufort, SC.