“Saber para Ser”
ESCUELA SUPERIOR POLITÉCNICA DE CHIMBORAZO INSTITUTIONAL SYLLABUS 1. GENERAL INFORMATION COLLEGE/DEPARTMENT SCHOOL MODE PLACE MODE SYLLABUS
LEVEL TERM AREA GENERAL AND SOCIAL STUDIES WEEKLY NUMBER OF PERIODS
LANGUAGE CENTER INSTITUTIONAL INSTITUTIONAL ESPOCH – HEAD OFFICE ON CAMPUS ENGLISH SIXTH MARCH 2014 – AUGUST 2014 CODE CIIN106F-CIIN106E PREREQUISITES
CREDITS 4 COREQUISITES
CIIN105F - CIIN105E
PROFESSOR’S NAME PHONE NUMBER E-MAIL COLLEGE DEGREE GRADUATE SCHOOL DEGREE
LARA OLIVO LENIN IVAN firstname.lastname@example.org Doctor in Languages Magister in Educational Technology
7. SUBJECT DESCRIPTION 7.1 PROBLEM IDENTIFICATION OF THIS SUBJECT RELATED TO THE UNDERGRADUATE PROFILE. English is widely used in all areas of knowledge. The students that come to this Institution are not able to communicate in English with people from other countries and cultures or even have the possibility to apply for graduate studies in International Universities. 7.2 CONTRIBUTION THAT THIS SUBJECT HAS ON THE UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT English is a universal language. It is the second most spoken language in the world and the first one in internet. For this reason, the knowledge of this Página 30 de 35
“Saber para Ser” language is an important requirement to apply for scholarships to do graduate studies in Ecuador and any country in the world. The communicative competence is the professional ideal in all educative matters. Speaking English is a necessary tool for international cooperation and professional enhancement. English as part of the curriculum in all university studies fosters the development of communication as well as other general social skills. 8. GENERAL OBJECTIVE OF THIS SUBJECT The students will be able to listen, speak, read and write in English by using the correct grammatical structures and vocabulary to communicate adequately and holistically. 9. CONTENTS CONTENTS ENGLISH VI UNITS
1. INTRODUCTION TO ESSAYS AND READING COMPREHENSION
To increase students’ cognitive strategies to produce knowledge from texts in order to reinforce writing skills by expanding paragraphs into essays. To report appropriately what other people say and do.
ORAL PROJECTS PRESENTATIONS
To integrate and apply the different language skills by doing oral presentations.
TOPICS 1.1 Review topics of level five. 1.2 Essay format. 1.3 Reading comprehension strategies: Skimming and Scanning Graded readers adapted from Cultural, Scientific, and general topics 2.1 Noun clauses: using WHETHER OR, and IF 2.2 Quoted speech 2.3 Reported speech 2.4 Pronunciation: stress, rhythm, accent, intonation. Speech production: Free discussion, debates, forums, interviews. Topics according to students’ majors.
10. METHODOLOGICAL STRATEGIES Learning English is based upon the development of the four main language skills: listening, reading, speaking, and writing as well as the language’s grammar in
Página 31 de 35
“Saber para Ser” context and its vocabulary. With purposes of communication the following activities are developed: Listening to appropriate material. Reading different kinds of texts. Describing pictures/drawings orally and in writing. Narrating short stories orally and in writing. Representing characters in role plays. Giving and receiving instructions. The different techniques used in the development of classes focus on communication and cooperative learning with the participation of teachers and students and a permanent interaction among them.
11. TECHNOLOGY USE 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
Computer laboratory Language lab Moodle Platform Projector Internet
7. RESULTS OR STUDENT'S LEARNING ACHIEVEMENTS RESULTS OR STUDENT’S LEARNING ACHIEVEMENTS tt. Application of basic sciences in their major. uu. Problem identification and definition
CONTRIBUTION (HIGH-MEDIUM -LOW ) N/A M
vv. Problem solving
xx. Team work. yy. Ethical Behavior. zz. Effective communication. aaa. Commitment to continuous learning.
THE STUDENT WILL BE ABLE TO
H M H H
Página 32 de 35
Apply critical thinking when analyzing English readings. Use English to solve problems related to his/her major. Choose the best resource (internet, books, Cd’s, dictionaries, magazines, etc.) in problem solving. Participate actively in multidisciplinary teams. Demonstrate ethical values at all instances. Express ideas, opinions, and feelings adequately in English. Design his/her own critical thinking process in his/her learning habits.
“Saber para Ser” bbb. Knowledge about the contemporaneous environment.
Discuss current local, national and international events related to his/her major.
8. LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
Language center and schools’ classrooms Computer and language laboratories Library. Virtual classrooms. Effective interaction teacher-student for building knowledge. Motivation Participation
9. EVALUATION SYSTEM ACTIVIDADES A EVALUAR Exámenes Lecciones Tareas Individuales Informes Fichas de Observación Trabajo en Equipo Trabajo de Investigación Portafolios Aula Virtual Otros TOTAL
10. BIBLIOGRAPHY BÁSIC COMPLEMENTARY - MITCHELL, H.Q. (2007): Channel Direct Series. MM Publications. Primera Edición. USA. - MITCHELL, H.Q. (2011): Let’s Speed Up Series. MM Publications. Primera Edición. USA. - MITCHELL, H.Q. (2010): Traveler. MM Publications. PrimeraEdición. USA. - ROGERS, Mickey, TAYLORE-KNOWELS, Joanne, and TAYLORE-KNOWELS, Steve (2010): Open Mind. MacMillanPublishers. FirstEdition. Mexico – Mexico. - BADGER, Ian y MENZIES, Pete (2007), English for Business Life- Elementary, Editorial Marshall Cavendish Education 3ra Edición, Inglaterra. - MCCARTHY, Michael; MCCARTHY, Jeanne y SANDIFORD, Helen (2010), Touchstone, Editorial Cambridge University Press, 3ra Edición, Inglaterra, - FUSCOE, Kate, GARSIDE, Barbara, PRODROMOU, Luke. (2008). Attitude. Página 33 de 35
“Saber para Ser” MacMillan Publishers. First Edition. Mexico – Mexico. - EVANS, Virginia, DOOLEY, Jenny. (2007) Click On, Express Publishing. 1st Edition. USA. RECOMMENDED READINGS - Brennan, Frank. (2009). Tasty Tales. Cambridge University Press. 1st Edition. Madrid – Spain. - MITCHELL. H.Q. (2001). Paul and Pierre in Paris. MM Publications.1st Edition. USA. - MITCHELL. H.Q. (2001). Save the Forest. MM Publications.1st Edition. USA. - MITCHELL. H.Q. (2001). The Mix-up. MM Publications.1st Edition. USA. WEBGRAPHY http://a4esl.org/ http://www.telefonica.net/web2/allp/ew/ESL.html http://www.englishclub.com/ http://www.eslfast.com/ http://www.manythings.org/ http://www.teaching-esl-to-adults.com/differences-between-efl-and-esl.html http://www.eflnet.com/ http://englishenglish.com/english_activities.htm http://www.rong-chang.com/
Lic. María Inés Zurita AREA COORDINADOR’S SIGNATURE
PLACE AND DATE OF PRESENTATION
Riobamba, March 2014
Página 34 de 35