COMMITTED TO YOUR SUCCESS Glen Davis, President, Legend Seeds
UPCOMING EVENTS: WISCONSIN TECH DAYS
July 10-12, 2018 • Marshfield, WI
Spring is here...well, almost. As we wait for mother nature to come around and give us some planting weather, I wanted to take the time to thank you for your business. Over the last few months, I’ve been looking at all our testimonials we received from those who participated in the Legend Yield Advantage Club. We had a record number of participants with over 400 entries! It is one of our greatest blessings as a company to have so many great customers who share their success on products, performance, customer service, and their Legend experience. If you haven’t had a chance, be sure to check out our entries on our website or Facebook page!
August 7-9, 2018 • Morgan, MN
August 21-23, 2018 • Mitchell, SD
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE FAIR
Aug. 30 - Sept 3, 2018 • Huron, SD
September 11-13, 2018 • West Fargo, ND
One thing we take pride in, that differentiates us from other seed companies, is our team that we have to support you from planting to harvest. We’re here to support and assist you with any in season seed needs as well as any product or agronomic questions and concerns you may have. We’re here for you, because your success is our success. We’re committed to earning the right to be a trusted partner in your operation and that begins with us being with you every step of the way. As we start counting down the days until we are in the field, be sure to check out the planting tips and check list inside to make sure you and your equipment are ready. We have just one chance to plant the crops each year, let’s do the best job we can. I wish you a safe planting season and look forward to hearing about your successes throughout the growing season. P.S. – Remember, it’s not too early to start your pumpkins inside!
WHAT’S INSIDE: PG 2: Giving Back: Yield Advantage Club Participants Select Causes in their Communities PG 3: Five Quick Tips For Planting Best Practices
GIVING BACK: YIELD ADVANTAGE CLUB PARTICIPANTS SELECT CAUSES IN THEIR COMMUNITIES MICHIGAN • Larry Beyersdorf of Hemlock, MI – St. Peter Lutheran School
Throughout the fall, Legend Seeds growers participated in the annual Legend Seeds Yield Advantage Club, sharing their field successes in return for an opportunity to win a chance to donate toward the local charity of their choice. This year’s Yield Advantage Club received a record number of over 400 entries from across our footprint.
• LeRoy Nurenberg of Westpahlia, MI – St. Mary’s Parochial School MINNESOTA
“We recognize the importance of giving back and supporting the local communities where our growers live and work,” said Legend Seeds President, Glen Davis. “Our Yield Advantage Club was created to recognize and celebrate outstanding yields of Legend Seeds while sharing in these successes by giving back to organizations our growers are passionate about.”
• Brian Nelson of Sacred Heart, MN – Renville County West FFA • Steve Viland of Pipestone, MN – Pipestone County 4-H
NEBRASKA • Roger Sprakel of Crofton, NE – St. Rose Catholic School • Matthew Rohde of Battle Creek, NE – Norfolk FFA NORTH DAKOTA • Gene Rudolf of Wishek, ND – St. Patrick’s Catholic Church • Jeff Jordahl of LaMoure, ND – LaMoure Fire Department SOUTH DAKOTA • John Blachford of De Smet, SD – Kingsbury County 4-H • Del Ray Edelman of Menno, SD – Menno FFA WISCONSIN • Mark Skoug of Chetek, WI – Barron County 4-H
Glen Davis, Legend Seeds President, and Tim Bratland, Legend Seeds General Manager, present growers, Jason Huber and Kent Huber, with their Yield Advantage Club plaques.
• Arctic View Dairy of Galesville, WI – Temple County Ag Society (fair) All participating growers also received a cap and honorary plaque recognizing them as a Yield Advantage Club member and their 2017 yield data. For more information about Legend Seeds or the Yield Advantage Club program, please visit: legendseeds.net/our-advantage/yield-advantage-club
The Yield Advantage Club consists of producers and growers that have experienced the Legend Advantage on their acres. All the participants in the Legend Seeds Yield Advantage Club were entered in a random drawing and two were selected for each state. The winners designated the charity of their choice to make the $300 donation within their state. In total, more than $5,000 was donated toward agriculture organizations and local charities across the Legend Seeds footprint. The Yield Advantage Club winners and selected charities were: COLORADO • Dean Woods of Ault, CO – Highland FFA • Kyle Kautz of Sterling, CO – Merino FFA IOWA • Phil Gubbels of Harlan, IA – Westphalia Fire Department •M ike McMinemee of Denison, IA – Tri-Center High School
FIVE QUICK TIPS FOR BEST PLANTING PRACTICES The planters are about to roll. Here’s a few quick tips and reminders for best planting practices that may be a helpful reference as we are heading into a new planting season. 1. Seed Bed Preparation
3. Planter Speed
• Avoid planting in wet soils. Soil is ready if it crumbles when squeezed rather than sticking together in a clump.
• High speeds result in uneven spacing and shallow depth. • Slow down to 4 MPH for the most consistent results.
• Check soil temperatures between 8:30 AM and 9:00 AM at 5-6 inches in depth, and plant when 50°F or warmer.
4. Planter Maintenance • Take advantage of your pre-planting down time.
2. Seeding Depth
• Check and replace all worn parts and review your equipment manuals.
• Optimal corn depth is 2”. It is recommended to not plant less than 1½” deep or more than 2½” deep. • Optimal soybean planting depth is 1¾’’. It’s better to plant too deep than it is to plant too shallow. Deeper soil depths will have more consistent temperature and moisture.
5. Planter Checklist • See additional article section for a list of a few items to check when updating your equipment for the year.
• Optimal alfalfa planting depth is a quarter-inch in a very firm seedbed.
• Contact your equipment manufacturer with questions.
HERE’S A HANDY PLANTER MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST THAT YOU MIGHT ENJOY REFERENCING WHEN TUNING UP YOUR PLANTER: ▢ Level the Planter ▢ Check Bushings and Parallel Linkage ▢ Drive System ▢ Calibrate Corn Meters ▢ Double Disk Openers ▢ Seed Tubes ▢ Closing Wheel System
JOHN DEERE FINANCING OPPORTUNITIES
▢ Closing Wheel Alignment
Prime Minus 1% APR: Due in full December 2018 Available: January 16, 2018 - April 30, 2018
▢ Row Cleaners ▢ Improve Germination with Seed Firmer
Prime Plus 6.95% APR: Due in full December 2018 Available: May 1, 2018 - July 31, 2018
▢ Gauge Wheel Adjustment
TO ALL OUR YIELD ADVANTAGE CLUB MEMBERS!