est. 2010 619.231.0222 B2 $$ 2202 Fourth Ave. | bankershillsd.com James Beard nominee Carl Schroeder’s stylish spot pairs mouthwatering cuisine with a stellar beverage program.
45. BLUE WATER
est. 2006 619.497.0914 A1 $$ 3667 India St. | bluewaterseafoodsandiego.com San Diego’s classic fish counter restaurant serves fresh seafood dishes made to order. Little wonder it’s a foodie favorite.
34. CAFÉ CHLOE est. 2004 619.232.3242 B3 $$ 721 Ninth Ave. | cafechloe.com French classics served all day in this charming east village cafe. Feed your soul in one of the city’s most beloved institutions.
46 IRONSIDE FISH & OYSTER est. 2014 619.269.3033 A3 $$ 1654 India St. | ironsidefishandoyster.com Drink like a cultured pirate in the belly of a boat at this raw bar and fish house helmed by Michelin-starred Chef Jason McLeod.
35 ET VOILA FRENCH BISTRO est. 2016 619.209.7759 C1 $$ 3015 Adams Ave. | etvoilabistro.com Traditional dishes abound at San Diego’s newest destination for French cuisine — expect everything from escargots to soufflés.
47 TOSTADAS est. 2015 619.450.4788 D1 $ 3139 University Ave | tostadasnorthpark.com With inspired seafood tostadas and good vibes, the City Tacos family brings a new experience of flavors to North Park.
36. BENCOTTO & MONELLO est. 2009 619.450.4786 A2 $$ 750 W. Fir St. | lovebencotto.com These chic sister eateries serve handmade pastas, gourmet pizzas, artisanal Italian eats, and a delicious house vermouth.
48. PETE’S SEAFOOD & SANDWICH est. 2015 619.255.8940 C2 $$ 3382 30th St. | bostonpetes.com Casual seafood and east coast sandwich spot keeping it down to earth in a hip corner of North Park. Keep an eye on that lobster roll!
est. 2015 619.794.0444 B3 $$ 950 Sixth Ave. | bigasandiego.com A charming fast casual concept offering a modern, organic take on Italian dishes made with authentic, imported ingredients.
41 THE HAVEN
49. AZUKI SUSHI
est. 2008 619.238.4760 B2 $$ 2321 Fifth Ave. | azukisushi.com Pledging carefully sourced Japanese fare, this creative sushi spot offers an extensive sake menu alongside beautiful fish.
2. BORN & RAISED opening 2017 A2 1909 India St. | consortiumholdings.com This mid-century modern steakhouse hails local roots and sources with in-house dry-aging, chef’s garden and rooftop terrace.
38. CIVICO 1845 est. 2015 619.431.5990 A2 $$ 1845 India St. | civico1845.com A contemporary restaurant serving Italian classics, bolstered by a separate, entirely plant-based menu for vegan diners.
3. COWBOY STAR est. 2008 619.450.5880 B3 $$$ 640 Tenth Ave. | thecowboystar.com Western gets a haute makeover at this incredible steakhouse featuring all-natural meats and an in-house butcher shop.
39. BUONA FORCHETTA est. 2013 619.381.4844 C3 $$ 3001 Beech St. / 2880 Sims Road | buonaforchettasd.com Fresh pasta, antipasti, wood-fired pizza and cloud-like tiramisu beckon the masses to the patio of this authentic locals’ pick.
51 LOTUS THAI CUISINE est. 2000 619.299.8272 B1/B3 $$ 3761 Sixth Ave. / 906 Market St. | lotusthaisd.com Exotic décor collides with the freshest Thai, Chinese, vegetarian and vegan fare, making each Lotus location a San Diego staple.
4 CRAFT AND COMMERCE est. 2010 619.269.2202 A3 $$ 675 W. Beech St. | craft-commerce.com This trendsetter’s library meets trophy room décor sets the tone for elevated comfort food and killer craft cocktails.
40. CUCINA URBANA est. 2009 619.239.2222 B2 $$ 505 Laurel St. | cucinaurbana.com An urban kitchen that interprets Italian classics with California inspired whimsy, and a vast array of wines at retail pricing.
52. PLUMERIA VEGETARIAN RESTAURANT est. 2012 619.269.9989 C1 $$ 4661 Park Blvd. | myplumeria.com Carnivores and omnivores alike can enjoy a vegetarian twist on Thai food at this quaint and cozy University Heights restaurant.
41 THE HAVEN PIZZERIA
53. RAKIRAKI & POKIRRITO
5 GREAT MAPLE
est. 2012 619.255.2282 C1 $$ 1451 Washington St. | thegreatmaple.com Palm Springs meets Paris in a stylish mid-century throwback serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, cocktails and pie.
est. 2013 619.281.1904 D1 $$ 4051 Adams Ave. | thehavenpizzeria.com Bright, corner haven is the perfect spot to partake in pizza (incl. gluten-free!), salads, beer and wine, family and friends.
42. LEFTY’S CHICAGO PIZZERIA
43 PIZZERIA BRUNO
est. 2012 619.240.8511 A2/B1 $$ 2254 India St. / 4646 Convoy | pokirritosd.com Fast casual trends collide at this two-sided restaurant offering poke bowls, sushi burritos and decadent ramen under one roof.
54. SHINO SUSHI + KAPPO
est. 2011 619.255.2527 A3 $$$
6. HERB & WOOD est. 2016 619.955.8495 A2 $$$ 2210 Kettner Blvd. | herbandwood.com A wood fired kitchen turns out exquisitely prepared dishes, featuring celebrated ingredients in a gorgeous setting.
838 West Ash St. Tucked away on the other side of the tracks, this Japanese eatery serves heavenly sushi and rolls in simple, contemporary surrounds.
7. JAYNE’S GASTROPUB est. 2006 619.563.1011 C1 $$ 4677 30th St. | jaynesgastropub.com London by way of San Francisco – with an English Garden, mod playlist, brilliant burgers and delightful beverages.
43 PIZZERIA BRUNO est. 2009 619.260.1311 C1 $$ 4207 Park Blvd. | pizzeriabrunosd.com Look no further for authentic pizza Napolitano. Italian from cheese to crust, this spot adheres to the rigors of Naples-style pie.
55 TAJIMA est. 2001 619.431.5820 B3/B1/C1 $$ 901 E St. / 3739 Sixth Ave. / 3015 Adams Ave. | tajimasandiego.com Alluring selections of both broths and noodles make this growing family of stylish ramen bars a perennial city favorite.
8. JUNIPER & IVY est. 2014 619.269.9036 A2 $$$ 2228 Kettner Blvd. | juniperandivy.com Top Chef Richard Blais delivers a pageant of molecular gastronomy with this “Left Coast Cookery” dining destination.
44. TRIBUTE PIZZA est. 2016 619.450.4505 C1 $$ 3077 North Park Way | tributepizza.com The city’s newest pizza craving, offering pies made in tribute to national classics, including vegan options and organic toppings.
56 UNDERBELLY est. 2011 619.269.4626 A2 /C2 $$ 750 W. Fir St. / 3000 Upas St. | godblessunderbelly.com This modern take on the traditional ramen bar offers inspiring fare, rare beer, Japanese whiskey and ambiance for days.
Lawyer and Citizen Advocate eatdrinkgivego.com, understandingsd.com
51 LOTUS THAI
50. IZAKAYA MASA est. 2006 619.542.1354 A1 $$ 928 Fort Stockton Dr. | izakayamasa.com Some of the city’s best authentic Japanese tapas, ramen and udon can be found at this tiny gem hidden in a sleepy strip mall.
est. 2003 619.295.1720 C2/A1 $ 3448 30th St. / 4030 Goldfinch St. | leftyspizza.com A San Diego fixture where Chicago represents — three kinds of crust, Italian beef, pasta, burgers, beer and Cubs paraphernalia.
Writer, Filmmaker, Woman About Town divabarbarella.com
Lives: North Park Works: Encanto How long: Native
BREAKFAST Park House Eatery was doing avocado toast long before it was a thing; I discovered it here over ten years ago. But my favorite is the pan-fried linguini and egg, with chunks of ripe Roma tomatoes, feta cheese, and a drizzle of Sriracha along the edge of the bowl.
BREAKFAST San Diego is meant to be experienced outside, so we hop on our bikes and start on the patio at Urban Solace14. We share a gooey cinnamon roll, pork belly benedict and a dish aptly named The Kitchen Sink. The food is great, and service is always delivered with the warmth characteristic of San Diegans.
LUNCH For lunch, we move to the hippest and most urban Tajima 55 location: East Village. Here we’d share an appetizer of karaage (fried chicken bites), and I would recommend the Spicy Sesame Ramen with chicken chashu, because that’s how my ramen rolls.
LUNCH Next we cruise down to Balboa Park to sneak in a couple of local beers at Panama 66 97 and check out the sculpture garden. We do a leisure loop down the Prado, then up to Carnitas’ Snack Shack57 where we share the steak sandwich, a beet terrine and more local beer, keeping lunch relatively light. Ha!
Lives: Kensington Works: All over town How long: Native
DINNER For great craft cocktails, perfect share plates and a not too scene-y sort-of scene, we’d hit up Madison11. The Heirloom Salad (with watermelon, feta and soppressata) is mouthwatering, and this is one of the few restaurants where I get excited about hummus.
DINNER We ride down the big hill at Pershing and head to the waterfront for sunset. We finish with the city’s best Italian, at Bencotto 36. I’m in charge of ordering, so we get burrata and riso fritto and finish with lamb ragu tagliatelle. You’ll talk about that dish when you get home. Trust me.
DRINKS Starlite12 is my bar of choice, my Cheers, the place I go when I seek comfort, familiarity, and a chill vibe. The cocktails are always on point (as is the food). It’s not on the menu, but if you order the Holly Golightly, they’ll know what you mean: a Manhattan with a splash of maple liqueur. Or go with anything new on the cocktail menu — the mixologists are always shaking things up, both literally and figuratively.
DRINKS Cocktails are at Herb & Wood 6; well worth the visit. We sip on an old-fashioned and Bartender’s Choice featuring Mezcal as we contemplate the joys of life.
We asked: If you only had 24 hours to show a friend the best in urban SD…
10 THE LION’S SHARE
est. 2015 619.546.9653 C3 $$ 1503 30th St. | barkindred.com Wild and inventive cocktails served alongside decadent, worldclass vegan dishes in an elegant and eccentric lair.
10 THE LION’S SHARE est. 2011 619.564.6924 A4 $$ 629 Kettner Blvd. | lionssharesd.com Finely-crafted cocktails and a creative, wild game menu contribute to the atmosphere of this dark and inviting haunt.
ONE OF THE BEST BEER RESTAURANTS IN AMERICA
11 MADISON est. 2016 619.269.6566 C1 $$ 4622 Park Blvd. | madisononpark.com San Diego’s sexiest new space features a cedar arched ceiling and tasty cocktails to pair with modern Med cuisine. 12 STARLITE est. 2007 619.358.9766 A1 $$ 3175 India St. | starlitesandiego.com San Diego’s hidden gem offers a trifecta of classic cocktails, savvy surroundings, and fab local food served until late. 13 TRUST est. 2016 619.795.6901 C1 $$ 3752 Park Blvd. | trustrestaurantsd.com Beautiful presentation of seasonally curated cocktails and cuisine lend to the chic vibe in this of the moment spot.
14. URBAN SOLACE est. 2007 619.295.6464 C1 $$ 3823 30th St. | urbansolace.net Hit this North Park favorite for an elegant twist on classic American cuisine, a huge patio and Sunday bluegrass brunch. 15 WAYPOINT PUBLIC est. 2013 619.255.8778 C1 $$ 3794 30th St. | waypointpublic.com Fab food and supreme beer selections make this airy spot a reliable destination for families, friends and fun times.
est. 2007 619.255.4167 D1 $$$ 4090 Adams Ave. | bleuboheme.com It’s a brasserie! It’s a bistro! It’s classic and decadent French fare meets comfort food in a casual-chic Kensington setting.
ASIAN & SUSHI
1. BANKERS HILL BAR + RESTAURANT
Now in our 8th year, URBANIST is your guide to San Diego’s best locally owned and operated restaurants, bars, boutiques, salons, galleries and more. We champion the entrepreneurial and community spirit of our dynamic city, and we believe that these businesses, and the people who operate them, comprise its heartbeat. We encourage you to shop, dine, drink in and experience these distinctive local establishments that make San Diego so exceptionally special.
35 ET VOILA BISTRO 33. BLEU BOHEME
est. 2015 619.756.7864 A3 $$ 1490 Kettner Blvd. | bracerococina.com Chef Javier Plascencia’s world-renowned Baja-Med cuisine shines alongside custom cocktails in this stunning two-story space.
17. CANTINA MAYAHUEL
est. 2006 619.283.6292 C1 $$ 2934 Adams Ave. Named for the Aztec goddess of agave, Mayahuel offers 200+ tequilas and delish Mexican dishes prepared in an open kitchen.
18 CITY TACOS est. 2014 619.296.2303 C1 $ 3028 University Ave. | citytacossd.com A craft taquería featuring fresh salsas, local and Mexican beers, and the most creative tacos north of the border. 19 DEL SUR MEXICAN CANTINA 619.501.0643 C2 $$ 2310 30TH St. | delsurmexicancantina.com Tequila-based cocktails and craft beer go with fresh Mexican fare, both in the comfortable interior and sidewalk patio. 20. LA PUERTA
est. 2008 619.696.3466 B4 $$ 560 Fourth Ave. | taco619.com Mexican eatery with great happy hour – half off booze and apps from 3-7pm daily, including its acclaimed spicy margarita.
21. LAS CUATRO MILPAS
13 TRUST est. 1933 619.234.4460 C4 $
1875 Logan Ave. It doesn’t get more OG in SD than this cafeteria-style taco spot, around since the 30’s. It closes at 3pm so arrive early!
22. OSCARS MEXICAN SEAFOOD est. 2011 619.798.3550 B1/ B3 $ 646 University Ave. / 927 J St. | oscarsmexicanseafood.com Fish tacos reign supreme on this beachy spot’s menu of grilled, fried and ceviche seafood — already a local classic. 23 PUESTO est. 2012 619.233.8880 A4 / A1 $$ 789 W. Harbor Dr. / 1026 Wall St. | eatpuesto.com Authentic flavors meet modern, organic sensibilities in this restaurant known for near flawless tacos and much more.
25. BIG FRONT DOOR est. 2011 619.255.4100 C1 $ 4135 Park Blvd. | bfdsandiego.com What’s the BFD? A modern take on the corner deli with fresh baked breads, artisan ingredients and house-smoked meats.
26. HERB & EATERY est. 2016 619.955.8495 A2 $$ 2210 Kettner Blvd. | herbandwood.com Brian Malarkey’s new counter service hub offers sandwiches, custom salads, fresh pastries, homemade ice cream, and more. 27 KRAKATOA est. 2003 619.230.0272 C3 $ 1128 25th St. | krakatoacafe.com Coffee, sandwiches and pastries fuel Golden Hill’s creative set on the secluded, tree-covered patio of this urban oasis. 28 RARE FORM est. 2014 619.255.6507 B4 $$ 795 J St. | godblessrareform.com A shake-up of classic Jewish, German, Italian and French deli cultures breaks some rules and brings schnapps back.
SANDWICHES & SALADS
24. SALUD! est. 2014 619.255.3856 C4 $ 2196 Logan Ave. | saludsd.com Chicano street culture infuses this gourmet taco shop — check the craft beer list to pair a couple regional classics.
29. ECLIPSE CHOCOLATE BAR & BISTRO est. 2005 619.578.2984 C2 $$ 2145 Fern St. | eclipsechocolate.com The top notch chocolatier’s bistro marvels tastebuds with sweet and savory brunch and dinner, and decadent drinking chocolate. 30. LE PARFAIT PARIS
est. 2015 619.245.4457 B3 $$ 555 G St. / 2820 Historic Decatur Rd. | leparfaitparis.com A French bakery serving classics like macarons, quiche, croissants and breads; best known for all the beautiful pastries!
31. MARIPOSA ICE CREAM
est. 2000 619.284.5197 D1 $ 3450 Adams Ave. | mariposaicecream.com Made on site, these pure-ingredient ice cream, sherbets, sorbet and waffle cones are as fresh as it gets. Warning: Addictive!
32. NOMAD DONUTS est. 2014 619.431.5000 C1/ D1 $ 4504 30th St. / 3102 University Ave. | nomaddonuts.com Creative donut and fritters shop with great coffee and interesting new flavors daily – a new sister café offers bagels and beer.
URBANISTGUIDE.COM BLOG | CALENDAR | INTERVIEWS Stay in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org facebook
@urbanistguide | #urbanistlist © 2017 Urbanist. All Rights Reserved.
58 THE CRACK SHACK
est. 2016 619.795.3299 A2 $$ 2266 Kettner Blvd. | crack-shack.com This fast casual sister restaurant to Juniper & Ivy elevates fried chicken and egg dishes with Top Chef flair and a full bar.
60. DUNEDIN NORTH PARK
96 LIVE WIRE
66 STATION TAVERN
97 PANAMA 66 est. 2014 619.702.6373 B2 $$ 1450 El Prado | panama66.com Drink and dine within a Balboa Park sculpture garden, with occasional live music to go with craft cocktails and local beer.
64. QUEENSTOWN PUBLIC HOUSE
est. 2013 619.546.0444 A3 $$ 1557 Columbia St. | queenstownpublichouse.com This quirky, New Zealand-inspired gastropub turns a craftsman home into a visual feast, and offers a literal one to go with.
68 TIGER! TIGER!
66 STATION TAVERN
est. 2009 619.255.0657 C2 $$ 2204 Fern St. | stationtavern.com All aboard! Stop in for mouth-watering burgers, loaded tater-tots, craft beers and an outdoor, family friendly patio.
67. STREETCAR MERCHANTS
COM M U N A LCO F F EE.COM
233 5 u n i v e rs i t y av e
N AT I V EP O P PY.COM
99 AUTOMATIC BREWING est. 2010 619.255.2491 D1 $$ 3416 Adams Ave. | automaticbrewingco.com Brewing small batches of indie beer which can be found on tap only at Blind Lady Ale House, Tiger!Tiger! and Panama 66. 619.795.2463 D1 $$ 3334 Adams Ave. | bineandvine.com One of the city’s best established bottle shops, stocked with lots of local brews as well as imports, and a full complement of wine.
101 BLIND LADY ALE HOUSE
est. 2009 619.255.2491 D1 $$ 3416 Adams Ave. | blindladyalehouse.com 99 Draft Magazine’s America’s 100 Best Beer Bars, featuring craft pizza and indie beer served out of a super clean draft system. est. 2015 C4 $ 2181 Logan Ave. | borderxbrewing.com Beer is only half the story at this Barrio Logan brewer’s tasting room. Artwork, energy and food make it a happening hangout.
68 TIGER! TIGER!
104. BREW PROJECT
est. 2011 619.487.9493 A2/C1/A2 $$ Little Italy / North Park / Liberty Station | bottlecraftbeer.com SD’s preeminent craft beer boutique and tasting room. Drink-in or shop a vast array of local, domestic and international brews. est. 2015 619.795.7890 B1 $$ 3683 Fifth Ave. | thebrewproject.com A “San Diego brewery tour under one roof,” this taproom, patio and lounge carries local beer only, and local spirits too.
72 HASH HOUSE A GO GO 97
69. THE WATERFRONT BAR & GRILL
est. 2016 619.800.6797 D1 $ 3139 University Ave. | chuckalek.com Tucked behind Art Produce, this eastern Europe-inspired beer garden serves ChuckAlek’s historical and experimental beer styles.
70. BREAKFAST REPUBLIC
106. FALL BREWING est. 2014 619.501.0903 C1 $ 4542 30th St. | fallbrewing.com Part of the impressive lineup of beer found in North Park is this award winning brewery converted from an old auto repair shop.
71. CAFÉ 222
107 HALF DOOR BREWING
72 HASH HOUSE A GO-GO
108 HAMILTON’S TAVERN
BREAKFAST & BRUNCH
105. CHUCKALEK BIERGARTEN
est. 2015 619.642.0299 C1 $$ 2730 University Ave. / 2865 Sims Rd. | breakfastrepublicca.com Expect breakfast options for every taste and dietary need, with a bar full of beer and breakfast cocktails to wash it all down.
est. 1992 619.236.9902 B4 $$ 222 Island Ave. | cafe222.com A hip little breakfast and lunch spot stacked with classic dishes and known for its many waffles, pancakes, and French Toast.
est. 2009 619.640.0494 D1 $$ 4141 Adams Ave. | kensingtoncafesd.com An ideal neighborhood spot with friendly service, sidewalk seating, strong coffee and tasty food. Happy hour daily 4-7pm.
73 KENSINGTON CAFÉ
109. MIKE HESS BREWING
est. 2013 619.786.4377 C1 $ 3812 Grim Ave. | hessbrewing.com Stainless steel brew tanks provide the backdrop for a roomy, game and family-friendly tasting room in central North Park.
COFFEE & TEA
est. 2016 619.363.7737 C1 $$ 2335 University Ave. | communalcoffee.com Sharing a communal counter with a florist, this warm, modern cafe pours Sightglass Coffee with a side of fresh scents.
est. 2016 619.255.2946 C1 $ 3038 University Ave. | northparkbeerco.com A fantastic selection of house and guest beers go with decadent food by built-in Mastiff Kitchen, in a vast, stylish space.
SD County Fair SD LGBT Film Festival Taste of Little Italy
Comic Con SD Pride Weekend
BROADWAY SAN DIEGO
Bike The Bay SD Blues Festival
CITY WIDE FARMERS MARKETS
Adams Avenue Street Fair SD Film Festival SD Restaurant Week
MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART SAN DIEGO
SD Asian Film Festival SD Beer Week SD Music Thing SD Underground Film Festival
Balboa Park December Nights Sono Fest and Chili Cookoff
Check our online calendar for all up-to-the-minute
107 HALF DOOR BREWING
mcasd.org SAN DIEGO ZOO
TURISTA LIBRE TIJUANA TOURS turistalibre.com
event listings: sandiego.urbanistguide.com/calendar
129. BAR PINK
est. 2012 619.851.4083 C4 1955 Julian Ave. | breadandsaltsandiego.com Arts center in Logan Heights housing galleries, classes, ICE, Public Arch, Not An Exit, Fresh Sound, Silo Series and more.
133. LA BODEGA GALLERY
est. 2014 619.721.7207 C4 2196 Logan Ave. | email@example.com A Barrio Logan warehouse where established and emerging artists converge for workshops and engaging group concept shows.
est. 2015 619.795.9876 B3 703 Eighth Ave. | doverhoningco.com Call or come as you are to this always-personal and vintage fresh village barbershop that will meet all of your coiffuring needs.
116 SMALL BAR & GRILL
140 HELLO BIRDIE NAIL & LASH LAB est. 2015 619.358.9875 C1 3032 University Ave. | hellobirdielab.com Need some inspired beautification and pampering? Go here for modern nail art, premium lash extensions and friendly service.
est. 2009 619.795.7998 C1 $$ 4628 Park Blvd. | smallbarsd.com Hold your seat at this local favorite known for awesome beer, cocktails and food options, including SD’s original beer brunch!
112 MONKEY PAW
141 HYDE-EDWARDS SALON & SPA
est. 2003 619.232.0108 A2 2308-A Kettner Blvd. | hyde-edwards.com This swank, full-service facility offers outstanding salon services, makeup, manicures, waxing and facials.
82 WESTBEAN COFFEE ROASTERS est. 2010 619.542.9124 A3/A2 $ 240 Broadway / 2820 Historic Decatur Road | thewestbean.com A local San Diego coffee Roaster. Enjoy specialty coffee & cold brew growler fills in a sleek urban environment.
118. THE CHEESE STORE OF SAN DIEGO est. 2012 619.544.0500 A2 $$ 1980 Kettner Blvd. | thecheesestoresd.com The beloved farmers market stand’s brick and mortar store is all charm, and features local charcuterie and sandwiches.
142 THE LAB A SALON est. 2008 619.543.9952 C1 3034 University Ave. | thelabasalon.com Passionate about style and committed to clients, this urban chic salon ensures you’ll leave looking and feeling fabulous.
est. 2012 619.501.2739 D2 $ 3176 Thorn St. | thornstreetbrew.com North Park’s first brewery, tucked away on quaint Thorn Street, has great beer, a beautiful space and a semi-outdoor bar.
86 EL DORADO est. 2009 619.237.0550 B3 $$ 1030 Broadway | eldoradobar.com Downtown’s favorite neighborhood bar has games, a vast cocktail and spirits program, guest DJ’s and a seriously fun dance floor. 87 FAIRWEATHER est. 2014 619.255.6507 B4 $$ 795 J St. | godblessrareform.com Poised above Rare Form, this fresh rooftop bar offers classic and custom tropical cocktails and a killer view of Petco Park.
92 SYCAMORE DEN
119. HEART & TROTTER
est. 2014 619.708.3566 C1 $$ 2855 El Cajon Blvd. | theheartandtrotter.com SD’s first local, sustainable, whole animal butcher shop offers the finest cuts, and serves up sandwiches, burgers, wine and beer.
120 NATIVE POPPY
est. 2016 619.535.0245 C1 $$ 2335 University Ave. | nativepoppy.com Sharing a space with Communal Coffee, this bohemian flower shop specializes in garden style arrangements and artisanal gifts.
121. THE PEARL HOTEL est. 2007 619.226.6100 A2 $$ 1410 Rosecrans St. | thepearlsd.com Authentic boutique hotel with superior service, “dive-in movies” and metro-minded food, craft beer and signature cocktails.
113 NORTH PARK BEER CO.
122. BOOMERANG FOR MODERN
est. 1985 619.239.2040 A2 2475 Kettner Blvd. | boomerangformodern.com An incredible selection of vintage and new home furnishings has made this spot a staple of San Diego’s design-driven.
est. 2014 619.888.5783 C1 2879 University Ave. | geographieshop.com Artisan made home accents and accessories built with longevity in mind, sometimes by local crafters, sometimes made a world away.
124. LOVE & AESTHETICS
est. 2013 619.546.6143 A2/ C1 621 W Fir St. / 2910 University Ave. | loveandaesthetics.com Jewelry, housewares and gifts populate this one-stop shop for distinctive gift givers and their discriminating recipients.
125. NOK NOK est. 2012 619.546.4455 D1 3077 North Park Way | noknokliving.com Mid-century enthusiasts rejoice. You’ll find authentic Eames and many other classics in this spacious new showroom.
115 SOUTH PARK BREWING CO.
AND DAYDRINKING TOO!
143 THE GIRL CAN’T HELP IT!
ONE OF THE HOTTEST BARS IN AMERICA!
LIVE MUSIC / COCKTAILS / HAPPY HOUR 146 GRAFFITI BEACH 140
Carlotta de Bevilacqua Paola de Arianello
143 THE GIRL CAN’T HELP IT!
est. 2012 619.795.7169 C1 3806 Grim Ave. | etsy.com/shop/TheGirlCantHelpItUSA After 20 years in London, this shop brings its award-winning collection of mid-century men’s and women’s vintage to North Park.
144. FROCK YOU! est. 2003 619.220.0630 C1 4121 Park Blvd. | frockyouvintage.com All genuine vintage fashion, his and hers. Get on the email list. The shop’s “Huge Frocking Sale” is mandatory. 145. ALOHA BEACH CLUB est. 2011 808.292.2985 C1 3039 University Ave. | alohabeachclub.com Chill vibes balance out fashion forward, surf-inspired attire for guys and gals at this sophisticated North Park shop.
148 HUNT & GATHER
146 GRAFFITI BEACH est. 2012 858.433.0950 C2 2220 Fern St. | shopgraffitibeach.com Trendy, loft-like boutique featuring fashion, art and gifts for the whole family.
147. GYM STANDARD
est. 2013 619.501.4996 C1 2903 El Cajon Blvd. | gymstandard.com Hit up this smart, minimal shop for fresh shoes, design-minded goods, art, chapbooks, arts journals, and recurring art events.
148 HUNT & GATHER est. 2009 619.297.3040 C1 2871 University Ave. | huntandgathershop.com Eclectic retailer carrying new and up-cycled clothing for both men and women, plus jewelry, artwork and vinyl records. 149 MAVEN est. 2015 619.280.2474 C1 2946 Adams Ave. | mavensd.com Outfit your home and your body with eclectic collections from around the world at this family operated boutique.
90 PARK & REC est. 2015 619.795.9700 C1 $$ 4612 Park Blvd. | parkandrecsd.com Cocktails, games and live music set a playful tone at this indoor/outdoor lounge, party spot and snack shack.
126. PIGMENT est. 2007 619.501.6318 C1 3801 30th St. | shoppigment.com This giant corner shop in North Park carries a wide selection of art, flora, furniture and gifts by local artists and artisans.
150. MIMI AND RED
91 POLITE PROVISIONS est. 2013 619.677.DRUG C1 $$ 3696 30th St. | politeprovisions.com The soda shop inspired, marble adorned lounge was named “Best American High Volume Cocktail Bar” by Tales of the Cocktail.
127. SIMPLY LOCAL
est. 2013 619.756.7958 C1 3013 University Ave. | simplylocalsandiego.com Shop truly local at this merchant marketplace devoted entirely to clothing, food, art and gifts that were made here in San Diego.
151 SPECS OPTOMETRY est.1982 619.233.6183 A2/C2 1947 Fern St. / 2355 India St. | specsoptometry.com Find the latest selections of cool eyewear with warm customer service at either of this savvy optometrist’s laid-back locations.
92 SYCAMORE DEN est 2013 619.563.9019 D1 $$ 3391 Adams Ave. | sycamoreden.com Enjoy classic cocktails, craft beer and live music in a lodge styled lounge with wall-mounted hunting rifles and banjos.
128 URBAN LIGHTING
152. STROLL est. 2014 619.431.5225 A2 2360 India St. | shop.sdstroll.com Stroll where the beach meets the streets and a curated selection of handmade local artisans make the perfect gift for him or her.
est. 1991 619.232.6064 B4 301 Fourth Ave. | urbanlighting.net Over 50 collections of contemporary and transitional fixtures for kitchen, bath, office and exterior lighting.
WW W. SPE C SOPTOME TRY. COM
est. 2010 619.269.3693 C3 830 25th St., Suite 103 | girlonthego.net Busy women (and men) - indulge after hours with evening facials, massages, manicures and more.
117. THORN STREET BREWERY
84 THE ROSE WINE BAR
Li tt le I ta ly 2355 I ndi a S t. 6 19-944- 3405
138. GIRL ON THE GO! NIGHT SPA
est. 2014 619.756.7770 A2 $ 2355 India St. | jamescoffeeco.com The central component of a retail co-op space, this on-site roaster offers excellent coffee and atmosphere to meet, work or shop.
est. 2016 619.564.6589 A2 $$ 2161 India St. | vinocartasd.com A casual wine bar offering bottles from small family producers, as well as local, organic and sustainable vineyards.
Sou th Pa rk 1947 Fern St . #3 619-23 3-6183
137 DOVER HONING
84 THE ROSE WINE BAR & BOTTLE SHOP est. 2010 619.281.0718 C2 $$ 2219 30th St. | therosewinebar.com This cozy bar in South Park offers a variety of Natural and Organic Wines. Pick out a bottle and stay for the handmade food!
132 BREAD & SALT
est. 2016 619.255.3609 C1 4610 Park Blvd. | studiounseen.co A Creative [un] Agency such as you’ve never seen. Vetted, independent specialists, all in one killer Space.
139. GOLDLINE SALON est. 2013 619.255.2477 C3 3009 Beech St. | goldlinesalon.com Espresso and local beer are on tap at this intimate boutique salon that will send you home with gorgeous color and style.
est. 2016 619.535.1747 C1 $$ 2419 El Cajon Blvd. | negociantwinery.com An urban winery with its own cafe, making wines locally using grapes grown throughout California and the west coast.
132 BREAD & SALT
est. 2014 619.610.9038 C3 $$ 1517 30th St.| southparkbrewing.com Enjoy award winning beer and casual eats in this group-friendly neighborhood brewpub next door to sister bar, Hamilton’s Tavern.
83. NÉGOCIANT WINERY
130 CASBAH est. 1989 619.232.4355 A2 $ 2501 Kettner Blvd. | thecasbah.com If you’ve never caught a band here, check your pulse. One of the finest music venues in SD. Scratch that, the nation.
115 SOUTH PARK BREWING COMPANY
82 WESTBEAN COFFEE ROASTERS
est. 2007 619.564.7194 C1 $ 3829 30th St. | barpink.com Forward thinking, unpretentious, loud and fun. Pool tables, killer jukebox, pinball, free live music most nights.
79. HEARTWORK COFFEE
est. 2002 619.255.9470 C3/A2/C2 $ 1948 Broadway / 750 W. Fir St. / 3000 Upas St. | influxcafe.com Everybody’s favorite work and study spot offers three locations to grab food, coffee, conversation and a sense of community.
est. 2007 858.454.3541 A3 1100 &1001 Kettner Blvd. | mcasd.org World-class contemporary exhibitions and an impressive permanent collection. Ages 25 and under enter for free.
est. 2014 619.793.4777 C1 $$ 4101 30th St. | ripcurrentbrewing.com This outpost of the celebrated North County brewery showcases a vintage can collection and has a restaurant in the back.
est. 2015 619.293.3300 A1 $ 3993 Goldfinch St. | heartworkcoffeebar.com A small Mission Hills outpost of quality San Diego roasted coffee served fresh daily, often with a rockin’ soundtrack.
BALBOA PARK MUSEUMS
114. RIP CURRENT BREWING
FURNITURE, HOME & GIFTS
131. SODA BAR est. 2008 619.255.7224 D1 $ 3615 El Cajon Blvd. | sodabarmusic.com Want to catch up-and-coming local, national and international bands? Check this divey night club’s calendar.
113 NORTH PARK BEER CO. 76 CAFÉ CALABRIA
3260 Adams Ave./ 3794 30th St./ 811 25th St. | darkhorseroasting.com Pour-over, cold brew and fresh beans make this small batch roaster a neighborhood favorite in three parts of town.
85. VINO CARTA
SOUTH PARK WALKABOUT
78 DARK HORSE COFFEE ROASTERS est. 2012 619.344.6962 D1/C1/C3 $
89 NOBLE EXPERIMENT est. 2010 619.888.4713 B3 $$ 777 G St. | nobleexperimentsd.com Reservations-only speakeasy in an extravagant setting, offering hands down some of the best cocktails in the city.
Ethnic Food Fair North Park Festival Of The Arts
est. 2011 619.358.9901 C3 $ 805 16th St. | monkeypawbrewing.com Part award-winning brewery, part taphouse, this Hamilton’s offshoot boasts excellent craft beers and city-famous cheesesteaks.
88 FALSE IDOL est. 2016 619.269.2202 A3 $$ 675 Beech St. | falseidoltiki.com An immersive tiki bar hidden within Craft & Commerce, featuring an indoor waterfall and flaming volcano, plus tiki drinks galore.
136 STUDIO UNSEEN
est. 2006 619.291.1759 C1 $$ 3933 30th St. | caffecalabria.com North Park’s longest serving caffè has old world style; coffee during the day; beer, wine, and cocktails at night!
81. JAMES COFFEE
NORTH PARK AFTER DARK
112 MONKEY PAW
est. 2014 858.551.1707 A2 $ 2295 Kettner Blvd. | birdrockcoffee.com Global sourcing and direct trade practices mean some of the world’s highest rated coffee is served by this award-winning roaster.
live wire est. 1992
CULTURE & COCKTAILS
76 CAFÉ CALABRIA
135. SPARKS GALLERY est. 2013 619.696.1416 B4 530 Sixth Ave. | sparksgallery.com Drop by the beautifully restored gallery space or call for an appointment to view contemporary work by San Diego artists.
RAY AT NIGHT – Second Saturday
111. MODERN TIMES FLAVORDOME est. 2014 619.546.9694 C2 $ 3000 Upas St. | moderntimesbeer.com Exceptional beer and clever design make this Modern Times satellite one of North Park’s must-visit tasting rooms.
Adams Avenue Unplugged Chicano Park day
BARRIO ART CRAWL – Second Saturday
75. BIRD ROCK COFFEE ROASTERS
DOWNTOWN AT SUNDOWN – Third Thursday
134. MCASD DOWNTOWN
110. MISSION BREWERY
est. 2014 619.806.0345 C2 $ 3519 30TH St. | wafflestreets.com Belgian waffles are made with double the wow factor at this eclectic outdoor shop partially hidden behind a coin op laundry.
77 COMMUNAL COFFEE
Open House San Diego SD Latino Film Festival
DRINKABOUT – Third Wednesday
est. 2011 619.544.0555 B4 $ 1441 L St. | missionbrewery.com Red brick construction lends this ballpark adjacent beer company old city charm; clean, house-brewed ales refresh drinkers daily.
est. 2006 619.238.5460 C3 $ 1521 30th St. | hamiltonstavern.com San Diego is the beer capital of the country and this is our Pentagon. Juke box, pub grub, pool tables, killer beer.
74. WOW WOW WAFFLE
BLVD MARKET – Third Friday
est. 2015 619.232.9845 B4 $$ 903 Island Ave. | halfdoorbrewing.com This downtown craft beer company feels less like a brewery and more like an old country home, with two stories of patio seating.
est. 2000 619.298.4646 B2 $$ 3628 Fifth Ave. | hashhouseagogo.com All three squares are piled high and wide at this legendary Hillcrest eatery known for bloody marys and hefty portions.
73 KENSINGTON CAFÉ
102. BORDER X BREWING
est. 1933 619.232.9656 A2 $$ 2044 Kettner Blvd.| waterfrontbarandgrill.com Every day, loyal customers order from San Diego’s oldest bar to wash down its beloved burgers on its sidewalk patio.
SD Jewish Film Festival SD Museum Month
100. BINE & VINE BOTTLE SHOP est. 2016
est. 2014 619.546.9010 C1 $$ 4002 30th St. | streetcarmerchants.com Whether you feel like donuts and coffee, or several different takes on fried chicken, quality ingredients will suit your craving. est. 2011 619.487.0401 C1 $$ 3025 El Cajon Blvd. | tigertigertavern.com This hallowed beer hall and garden also has a wood-fired oven that smokes, toasts and roasts some pretty amazing sandwiches.
est. 2013 619.269.7632 C1/A2 $$ 2943 Adams Ave. / 2875 Dewey Rd. | sodaandswine.com Now with two airy locations, this hip eatery pairs creative, from scratch meatballs with pie a la mode, beer and craft cocktails.
BREWEIES, CRAFT BEERS & PUBS
98 WHISTLE STOP est. 2002 619.284.6784 C2 $ 2236 Fern St. | whistlestopbar.com This South Park must-stop serves art and cocktails on weeknights, and then one helluva dance party on the weekend.
63. POP PIE CO. est. 2016 619.501.4440 C1 $$ 4404 Park Blvd. | poppieco.com Start with the amazing chicken pot pie, then work yourself through an entire selection of perfectly flaky sweet and savory pies.
65 SODA & SWINE
98 WHISTLE STOP
MORE THINGS TO DO AND PLACES TO SEE IN SD
SD Black Film Festival SD Italian Film Festival SD Restaurant Week
est. 1992 619.291.7450 C1 $ 2103 El Cajon Blvd. | livewirebar.com Local, loud and legendary, with draft beers, pint-glass cocktails, Frito boats, and the best punk jukebox in town for 25 years.
62 NEIGHBORHOOD est. 2007 619.446.0002 B3 $$ 777 G St. | neighborhoodsd.com A corner bar for the modern era, pairing 27 draught beers and artisan spirits with tasteful lunch and dinner menus. 120
est. 2014 619.255.8523 C1 $$ 3926 30th St. | coinopsd.com Hit the bar for craft beer or cocktails, then relive some youth with an arcade stocked with classic stand up games.
ARTS & CULTURE
est. 2016 619.213.3765 D2 $$ 3302 32nd St. | grandolebbq.com Seek out the unlikely and fortuitous combination of Argentinean and Texas BBQ at this outdoor spot, and ask for the brisket.
est. 2013 619.677.2264 B3 $$ 526 Market St. | bangbangsd.com Mix fab design and LED-presented live music with Asian street food and sushi for the biggest thing in SD dining and clubbing.
61. GRAND OLE BBQ Y ASADO
3175 INDIA STREET (AT SPRUCE) • 619.358.9766 • STARLITESANDIEGO.COM
94. BANG BANG
59. COUNTERPOINT est. 2009 619.564.6722 C3 $$ 830 25th St. | counterpointsd.com Golden Hill’s cozy, go-to gastropub offers a vast spirit list, barrel-aged cocktails and delicious daily specials from scratch. est. 2016 619.255.8566 C2 $$ 3501 30th St. | dnp-sd.com Fun and funky with shaded patios and a fire pit, this atmospheric New Zealand–themed spot serves up delicious casual fare.
A 21 & Up Establishment
2017 SAN DIEGO CALENDAR THINGS TO DO | PLACES TO GO | PEOPLE TO SEE
est. 1947 619.297.7211 A1 $ 3365 India St. | aeroclubbar.com One of the oldest bars in SD is on pretty much everyone’s list of the nation’s Top Dives. 800+ brands of whiskey. Give it a shot.
SALONS & SPAS
CLASSIC COCKTAILS HARD TO FIND SPIRITS LATE NIGHT EATS
96 LIVE WIRE 93. AERO CLUB
BOUTIQUES, APPAREL & ACCESORIES VINTAGE APPAREL
CLASSIC CHARM - COCKTAILS - RARE SPIRITS
est. 2011 619.294.7675 C1/ A3 $$ 2632 University Ave. / 1004 N. Harbor Dr. | carnitassnackshack.com Farm-fresh and perfectly prepared pork-centric selections have earned this place the top spot on SD’s fast-casual list, now bayside!
BARS & NIGHTLIFE
BURGERS, CHICKEN, BBQ
58 CRACK SHACK 57. CARNITAS’ SNACK SHACK
est. 2007 619.298.7933 C1 3041 University Ave. | mimiandred.com Hip and trendy threads and accessories minus the sticker shock for ladies in the heart of North Park.