Page 1


We know all our international students personally and offer enhanced support and assistance, so you will soon feel at home.


“It must be one of the biggest decisions you have ever made: to come all the way to England! We are delighted that you have chosen to study at Leeds Trinity University College. It will be interesting, exciting and challenging to experience the new culture here. We would like to offer you as much help as possible during your time with us.”

WELCOME Welcome to Leeds Trinity University College! We are delighted that you have chosen to study here. The journey ahead will be interesting, exciting and challenging. To help you adapt to the new environment, we have organized special sessions for you to meet up with other students from overseas as well as various speakers. We will provide you with information and guidance on: • • • • • • • • • •

Travel Student Health Counselling Service Student Support Accommodation Dining Room & Domestic Services Careers & Employability Chaplaincy Students’ Union Security & Police

We would like to invite you to our lunchtime international students meetings on Wednesdays from the 3rd week of September through to the last week of October. Lunch will be provided for free. We will also be holding an International Students Welcome Party in Semester 1 and a special festival celebration during Semester 2. All staff and students are welcome. Detailed information including dates, time and venues of the above events will be displayed on the door of the International Office (AG12A) nearer the time. Previous students have found these sessions to be an important part of their introduction to life as a student here at Leeds Trinity. We hope you can attend all of these sessions as they are arranged especially for you and if required we are happy to adapt it to suit your needs.


You should have completed the first stage of registration on computer before you arrived, but please check and amend if needed the personal details we hold about you on computer. The second stage takes place on the Tuesday in the Induction Week. You should refer to the Registration Guidance notes included in your induction pack for details. When updating your details on computer, please make sure that your permanent residential address is quoted as your permanent home address -- NOT an agent’s address or any previous correspondence address you may have used.


We recommend that you have a medical examination four weeks before leaving your home country. Please bring the results of the examination with you. If you study for six months or more, you will be able to use the services of the National Health Service (NHS). You can see a doctor or nurse free of charge, though you will have to pay a fixed cost for any medication you need at the pharmacy where you receive the medication. Under the NHS, hospital treatment is also free. For more information on healthcare services and other aspects of living in the UK please check the British Council Education UK Website: You may also find versions in other languages such as Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. If you are living on campus it is essential that you register your health details with the college nurse once you have registered to study here. The Student Health centre will require a history of immunisation you have received before travelling to the UK and details of any past and present medical treatments. This will enable them to help you if for any reason you do not feel well.

International students

The College Nurse is available to assist you during term time, and she can make an appointment for you to see a doctor if necessary. The Student Health Centre is located in room AG05B, near the Dining Room. If you are living in an area outside of Horsforth, you must register with a doctor’s surgery in your local area. Details of doctor’s surgeries in the Leeds area can be found in the Student Health Centre on campus or from the following website: by using your postcode.

Opening a Bank Account

You will need to open a bank account soon after your arrival in the UK. A number of banks are located along the Town Street in Horsforth, for example, Lloyds Bank (address: 38 Town St, Horsforth, Leeds, LS18 4RJ. Telephone: 0113 259 1207). The bank staff will help you to decide on the best type of account for you and tell you about any special facilities which they offer for international students. You should also check whether you will have to pay any charges for opening or using your bank account. To open a bank account, you would need to bring your passport, the offer letter, and a letter of introduction from the college addressed to the bank of your choice, confirming your date of birth, place on a programme of study and your term-time address in Leeds as well as your home address in your country of residence. You can request the letter from the Registry Services (AM36). Please make sure that you provide accurate information regarding your home address (NOT Agent’s or University’s Address) including the postcode and other details when you complete the registration form. The addresses provided on e-vision should be exactly the same as the ones you type in for your bank account application. Any discrepancy would lead to failure or serious delay in opening a bank account. If you live off campus, the bank may ask for proof of your address in Leeds, such as your tenancy agreement. When visiting the bank for the first time, you should also bring with you, if available, bank statement(s) from your bank(s) in your own

country. If you do not have your own bank account, it will help if you bring with you a bank statement showing your father/mother’s name and your home address. The British Banking Association have produced a leaflet for International Students about opening a UK bank account the leaflet can be downloaded at:

Police Registration

Students holding passports from countries not in the EEA or Commonwealth will usually be required to register with the police. You should check for any specific instruction stamped in your passport on arrival. You should normally register within seven days of arrival in Leeds, but preferably after having shown your passport to the bank to allow you to open a bank account. (This is because the police may keep your passport for a few weeks while processing your registration). To register you need to take: • Your completed police registration form (you can collect it from the International Office or download it at the following website: overseasstudentsapplicationform.pdf) • Your passport • 2 passport size photographs • The administration fee of around £40.00 in CASH for each passport You should keep your Registration Certificate in a safe place with your passport. You must also report changes in address, college, occupation, marital status, landing conditions, new visa (extension) granted, new passport etc. to the police within seven working days, so the change can be recorded in your Registration Certificate. The penalty for failure to notify could be a fine of up to £5000 and/or face 6 months in prison.

“As an International student, making the choice to study at Leeds Trinity is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Leeds Trinity is large enough to live the whole ‘University experience’ as well as being small enough to allow you to feel part of a community. Everyone that I have come into contact with whilst studying here has been welcoming and very professional. I chose to study Business with Law because ultimately I would like to be able to practise law. The course is extremely well-rounded, taught by lecturers who are dedicated to their jobs and who have real and current industry specific experience.” Kylie-Jo Greef, 2nd Year, BA Business with Law

Where can I register?

Millgarth Police Station, Millgarth Street, LEEDS LS2 7HX (next to the Bus Station in Leeds City Centre). Opening hours: Monday to Thursday 9am - 1pm and 2.15pm - 3.30pm. Tel: 0113-2414199; email:

Working while you study in the UK

A general student visa allows international students to work up to 20 hours (in some cases, up to 10 hours) a week during term-time and full-time during the holidays and on work placements. For more information, please visit the UKBA or UKCISA websites:

to visit etc). If you have any problem, such as complaint about noise, or any fault in your room, just report to your SR. In the very unlikely event that you cannot make progress with the help of your SR, you can go to Student Support Central Office in AG09 and talk to staff there who will take the matter up on your behalf and involve the Director of Student Support if necessary.

A Few Points to Remember if living on campus

To ensure satisfactory conditions for all students on campus, the Accommodation Office would like to stress a few points: •


All students staying on campus can use the following postal address:

Your Name (with Surname underlined) Room Number, name of the Hall Leeds Trinity University College Brownberrie Lane Horsforth Leeds LS18 5HD UK

Mail will be kept securely in the Reprographic Office, Room AG60. You can collect letters / parcels from the staff there by showing your student ID card. More details can be found at

Senior Residents (SR)

Senior Residents (also called Hall Wardens) are experienced students who help students to settle into life at Leeds Trinity, enabling new students to benefit from their knowledge of the College and local area (e.g. who to see, where places are, what

• • • • • • • •

In the first week, please complete the inventory list as requested, otherwise you might be unfairly fined for anything damaged or missing prior to your occupation of the room; Please do not remove Leeds Trinity furniture from your room or purchase large furniture without prior permission from the college; No guests could stay on campus for more than two nights without permission from the Director of Student Support; No pets could be kept in halls of residence; Please change bedding regularly (clean bedding is provided fortnightly by domestic staff) Please cook only in the kitchen, not in your room, otherwise fire alarms may be activated and damage may be caused to college property – this is a disciplinary matter; Domestic staff have the right to gain access to the rooms on a regular (weekly) basis to clean; We strongly recommend you keep no more than £50 in cash with you. Please deposit other funds in your bank account; Please keep valuable items in the safe provided in your room Please remember to lock your door.

Leeds City Centre

ACADEMIC SUPPORT Tutors (Progress tutor or Module tutors)

Tutors are there to help you so do visit them! To book a meeting, you can email them (initial+a dot + surname, e.g. David Smith’s email is

Skills Support Service (including Writer in Residence)

Staff within the Skills Support Service are happy to help and advise on written assignments, number work, statistics and research, and use of IT applications in your academic work. To make an appointment please email Karen Scott (k.scott@ The service is useful only if you make use of it! Book appointments at the early stages of your project – do not leave it until the last minute!

English Lecturers

The English module is compulsory for most international students on Level 1, for whom English is not their first language. Other students who wish to improve their English language skills are also welcome to attend the classes. The module is taught by experienced tutors, who will be happy to assist you with any problems you have with the use of English.

ACCESSING IT SYSTEM ON CAMPUS, EMAIL AND ONLINE STUDENT RESOURCES On registration, you need to register with the IT helpdesk for computer access on campus. We hope the information provided here will help you access email, documents and online resources during your studies here.

Direct access to college Email

Access from within the college: http://tas16/exchange; Remote access: or via If you prefer to use your private email address, please make sure you have written it down clearly in the Registration form. You could also set up a mechanism so your college emails can be automatically forwarded to your private email account by following the steps explained in the International Office intranet site. Email is the primary way that Leeds Trinity contacts students and you are expected to access your college email at least once a week from either your college account or your personal account by setting up the forwarding mechanism.

Remote Access to College Documents: (Open House)

Library: (moodle): Module Catalogue: e-vision enables you to update contact details, check exam results and download your transcripts and other information related to your study. It is of key importance that you know how to access and use this portal, otherwise you may miss out on vital information regarding your course. To access from within the college: click the “e-vision” button from the college intranet home page; To access remotely: - or You could also contact the IT Helpdesk in person, on Tel (0113) 2837223, or by email:

“Hi, I’m Hitesh and I’m in my second year of a BA in Business and Management at Leeds Trinity University College. My hometown is Udaipur in the state of Rajasthan in India, so it was a big decision to come and study in another country. However Leeds is such a friendly place that I soon felt at home. I love living on campus - it’s easy to get to know people, and I can help out welcoming new international students. The international office provides great support for students, with a good induction programme for new arrivals, ongoing English and study skills classes, and lots of social events.” Hitesh Sharma, BA in Business and Management


to present for assessment and be withdrawn from the course. Please also note that late submission will result in deduction of marks or a mark of “fail” for coursework.

All students should observe Leeds Trinity rules and regulations, which can be found at Registry’s website: registryservices

Use of a Dictionary in Examinations


Students must attend and complete the requirements of all courses of lectures, practical work, tutorials and periods of professional attachment. All students are required to be in attendance at the College throughout the periods of published dates of terms and to be available for the July/ August reassessment periods prior to knowing the assessment results. Students who live overseas should note that their travel home for vacations must be arranged in compliance with the above attendance regulations. Please note for any module, Levels 1 & 2 students have a maximum of two resit opportunities, while Level 3 and postgraduate students have only one resit opportunity. For any matters relating to module selection or assessment, please contact Registry in AM36 or email: registryservices@ The institution is obliged to report unauthorised absences and withdrawals to the UKBA, otherwise we may lose our Licence for sponsoring students from overseas. On receiving institution’s report, the UKBA may curtail or cancel the student’s visa and in this case, you will have to leave Britain. Therefore you must fully attend all tutorials, lectures, seminars, meeting with your tutors, etc or inform the relevant staff if you have difficulty in attending any of the sessions.


In order to be eligible for assessment in any module, a student must fulfil all course requirements including those relating to satisfactory attendance. Otherwise s/he may not be permitted

Dictionaries cannot be used without permission from Registry Services. Application forms for dictionary use are available from Registry Services and must be returned at least two weeks before an examination period.

Plagiarism and Cheating

Essays or dissertations submitted as part of a formal College assessment must be the student’s own work. Any passages quoted, from whatever source, must be clearly marked as quotations, and such quotations and any passages which are paraphrased must be properly attributed to their authors. Failure to do so may be regarded as Plagiarism, resulting in a mark of zero or “fail”, withdrawal from the course (with no certificates awarded) or any other penalty which the College deems to be appropriate.

AND FINALLY… We hope that you will find your time with us enjoyable and academically rewarding. If you have any questions or need help at any time, you are most welcome to contact the specific departments or talk to the International Office staff (our door is always open). We may not be able to deal with all enquiries, but we will do our best to help you or to point you in the right direction. This brochure aims to make you more aware of issues of particular relevance based on our experience with previous international students. However, everyone is different, so we would welcome your feedback on whether this has been helpful and any suggestions of what to include in future so together we can make this guide more relevant and helpful.

Hitesh Sharma




The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) Offers a range of information on issues such as Accommodation, Driving in the UK, Keeping Healthy, Study Methods, Visa Extensions and Council Tax.

The British Council

UK’s international cultural relations body and publishes various interesting and important information for international students.





All Enquires

Travel line

Information including local travel plan by bus and/or train

Train - UK

National Rail

National Rail Enquiries for train timetables and fares to anywhere in the UK. If booked in advance, you might be able to book a train ticket to London for £10 only

Train - Europe

Inter rail

Extensive rail travel in Europe


National Express


for long distance travel by coach – special fun fare ticket from Leeds to London for £1 only!


Mega Bus

cheap long distance coach travel

Travel Agency

STA travel

Cheap travel, hostels, hotels, flights & more. Amazing deals for students and travellers.

Travel Agency

Omega Travel

Provides flights, visa assistance and packaged holidays. Address: 5 Templar Street, Leeds LS2 7NU, Tel: 0870 770 6868, Fax: 0870 777 0269, E-mail:


Net Flights

Browse 1000s of cheap flights from over 135 airlines to over 1500 worldwide destinations, plus amazing offers on hotels, holidays and car hire.



Book Flights from Leeds/Bradford to many international destinations.



Book cheap flights with the low cost airline to European destinations from Leeds/Bradford.


Ryan air

Book cheap flights from Leeds/Bradford to European destinations.

Visa requirements for travel in Europe – Please refer to the Schengen Visas information at the International Offi ce intranet

CONTACT INFORMATION International Office Leeds Trinity University College Brownberrie Lane Horsforth Leeds LS18 5HD UK T: +44 113 283 7178 F: +44 113 283 7200 E: International Office Internet site: International Office Intranet site: Office

Information correct at time of printing, July 2010. The information in this publication can be supplied in alternative formats. Please call 0113 283 7150 or email

International students guide  

Everything you need to know about life at Leeds Trinity University College

International students guide  

Everything you need to know about life at Leeds Trinity University College