November 2012 FitKids Education and Training
CONTENTS 1. From the founder’s desk
2. Activity of the Month Identify the Athletes
3. Fun Corner Traditional Indian Sports Fact Corner
4. What’s Hot, What’s Not Past Tense, Future Tense
FROM THE FOUNDER’S DESK "I've failed over and over again in my life, and that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan I love stories about the people who have achieved great things by following their dreams no matter what. Imagine what a different world it would be if there was no Walt Disney, no Star Wars, no Beethoven symphonies! These have all been created by people who faced numerous rejections yet refused to listen to the people who said, "You can't". George Lucas spent four years shipping the script for Star Wars around to the various studios and racking up numerous rejections in the process. If he'd let the negative get to him he would never have ended up with the highest grossing film of all time. Einstein was considered an "un-teachable" fool by his early teachers, while Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team. Beethoven's music teacher told him he was a hopeless composer. I am sure you have heard of Thomas Edison and all the inventions he created. He is known to be one of the most prolific inventors in history holding 1,093 U.S. patents as well as numerous patents in the UK, France and Germany. When Thomas was four years old, he was sent home from school with a note. The note told his mother that he was to be removed from school because he was "too stupid to learn". The world would truly be missing some of its greatest creations and inspirational people if these people had listened to the naysayers of the world!
- Dev Roy Founder & MD
Identify the Athletes
LEAPSTART FUN CORNER Sports of Indian Origin: 1) Chess: Chess originated in India around 7th century AD (around 1400 years ago). The game was then called Chaturanga chatur meaning four and anga meaning parts. The game comprised the four parts of the army: elephants, horses, chariots and foot soldiers besides the king and his mantri (minister). 2) Kho Kho: Kho Kho is an Indian sport played by teams of twelve players who try to avoid being touched by members of the opposing team; only 9 players of the team enter the field. In Kho-Kho, one team sits or kneels in the middle of the court, in a row, with alternate members in the row facing opposite directions. The other team may send two or three members in the court. The motive for the sitting team is to try to "tag" the opponents. 3) Martial Arts Ancient India claims to have been the origin of judo and karate. Kerala’s martial art form Kalaripayate is similar to karate. Unlike Kalaripayate, judo and karate do not allow the use of lethal weapons. Early martial arts find mention in Vedic literature and in the epics of Ramayana and Mahabharata. In Mahabharata, Arjun and Karan had a battle between each other using fists,bows and swords. Boxing fightsare also described in Ramayana.
4) Snakes and ladders: The 13th century poet saint Gyandev created the game of Snakes & Ladders. It was originally called ‘Mokshapat’. The ladders in the game represented virtues and the snakes indicated vices. The game was played with cowrie shells and dices. In time, the game underwent several modifications, but its meaning remained the same, i.e. good deeds take people to heaven and evil to a cycle of re-births. 5) Gilly Danda: Gilli Danda is the most famous sports of the villages of entire India. To play this game minimum two player and a Gilli and Danda is required. As shown in the figure the small round shaped one is called Gilli and the big one is Danda. The batsman hits the gilli at one of the tapered ends with his danda, and quickly strikes it. The gilli becomes airborne if it is struck.
LEAPsTART FACT CORNER:
One sweet won’t make you unfit... one though – not one after every meal, not one every hour, not just one more and definitely not one box full. Where most people go wrong is to eat a sweet every time one passes in front of them – either at the restaurant, at their friend’s house, relative’s house or the office. There’s no excuse for overdoing it and no amount of prepping will help you either. The first thing people sacrifice during the festive mood is daily routine – so along with bursting crackers, don’t forget to play and exercise. First way to prep your health routine for festive sweets is to, at the very least, stick to your exercise routine.
• Messi won the golden boot for the second time in his career for scoring more than 50 goals last season for Barcelona 3 • Sebastian Vettel won the second Indian Grand Prix at the Buddh International Circuit. • Thaworn Wiratchant wins Indian Open golf, Shiv Kapur from India ﬁnished fourth. • Saina Nehwal won the Denmark Open and came second in the French Open to regain World no. 3 ranking in badminton. • English Premier League club Reading have made a $1 million bid for Indian teenage sensation Brandon Fernandes. • Gaganjeet Bhullar clinched the Venetian Macau Open title, his second title in less than a month. • Leander Paes -Radek Stepanek have won men’s doubles in the Shanghai Masters, after beating Mahesh Bhupathi – Rohan Bopanna pair 6-7(7) 6—3 10—5, in Shanghai. • Roger Federer became the ﬁrst player to reach 300 weeks on top of the ATP rankings.
• Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid all lost their 3rd round of European Champions league matches. • India went down 0-2 to Singapore in an international football friendly at the Chao Chu Kang Stadium. • Manchester United got knocked out of the Carling Cup by Chelsea. • Delhi Daredevils, Mumbai Indians, Chennai Supers Kings and Kolkatta Knight Riders couldn’t win the Champions League T20.
• The Buddh International Circuit hosted the Second Indian Grand Prix. • Sydney Sixers won the Champions League T20 which was held in South Africa. • The year ending ATP Tour Finals took place at the O2 Arena among the top 8 players in the world. • The ﬁrst test series between India and England began at Ahmedabad.
• Davis cup ﬁnals are scheduled between Spain and Czech Republic in November. • The last formula one race is scheduled to take place in Brazil as the championship race goes to the very end. • Men’s Hockey Champions Trophy is scheduled to take place in Australia. • South Africa tour Australia on a three test series.
FitKids Education and Training Pvt. Ltd.SMR House, No. 11 Convent Road,Bangalore - 560025 | +91 80405 79999 +91 99805 44508
Please Post your testimonials here at email@example.com Follow Us