S D E LE
Freshers Pack 2013
Your Students’ Union Team here. First up, big congratulations on securing a place here at LCoM! You’ll soon be bringing the fresh talent to the table that serves as the foundation of everything that makes us the creative juggernaut that we are. From Jazz through to Rock, Hip Hop, World, Pop, Electronic and Classical, you can’t walk anywhere without bumping into a sterling musician, trust us! So go confident and go hard, it’s time to shine.
This pack contains all you need to know about Freshers Week, as well as some other key pieces of information that will help you find your feet as you begin your course. We look forward to meeting you all in September, if you have any questions please get in touch!
– WHAT WE DO – The Leeds College of Music Students’ Union is comprised of the total body of current students. A mutually inclusive, creative network of young and dynamic musicians with one common goal: to express ourselves through music.
The LCoM Students’ Union Executive (that’s us!) works on your behalf to provide the most complete student experience possible. This means keeping you informed and up-to-date, organising parties and events, securing valuable work opportunities, and representing the student perspective and our concerns to the LCoM staff. What’s more, we are here to listen and to help. Homesick, anxious, or frustrated with your course? We don’t care what it is. Your problems are our problems. We’ve been through it, and our door is open 5 days a week.
– MEET THE TEAM – Our SU Executive Team are also guided and supported by:
– Harry Japp – LCoMSU President email@example.com
– Alexandra – Marshall Deputy President
– Levi Bond – Communications & Marketing
– Liam Kane – Student Liaison Officer
– David – Robinson Events
– Lauren – Hinds Education & Welfare
– Pippa John – Equality & Diversity firstname.lastname@example.org
– CONTACT US – 0113 222 3507
/ LeedsCollegeOf – Chris Milnes – Sports email@example.com
– Bryony Davies – Charities & Sustainability
– Luke Ferris – Student Representation
– PRE-FRESHERS –
– WHERE TO FIND US – 00
- FLOOR 2 -
01 teaching rooms
to to Level 3 Level 1 03
– LCoM Bar –
As we are well aware, you are able to take up tenancy in Joseph Stones House from the 7th September onwards, so for all you keen beans we’re going the extra mile to put a few things together for you during the week! Joseph Stones can get a teensy bit boring after all! To complement the events, we’ll be coming round Joseph Stones to say hello!
9th MONDAY – PIZZA PERFECT – LCoM Bar 19.00 – 22.00
– ROoM 219 – 06
Early bird catches the worm! We’ve organised a make-your-own pizza night in the college café, expertly paired with some amicable deals on beverages to get the old social cogs loosened up. A real casual warm-up to the social gauntlet ahead, and a chance to venture out of the rabbit warren! We’ll be there (SU Team) lapping up the food at the very least, so feel free to join us!
11th WEDNESDAY – DODGEBALL! – The Forum Leisure Centre 14.00 – 16.00 A chance to hone your skills ready for the main Fresher’s week event, and just bloomin’ good fun! Join us at Forum Leisure Centre (2 mins from Joey Stones) for a ‘friendly’ game or two.
14th SATURDAY – THE WARM UP SESSION – LCoM Bar 19.00 – 23.00 A chance to get some light, lastminute training in for the week ahead, we head out to a handful of local watering holes for a few casual get-to know-you drinks. No frills - just an old-school, leisurely chinwag (to begin with...)
Your Freshers week begins on Monday 16th of September, and promises to live long in the memory! You’ll be meeting the folks set to become your best friends in a few short years, and who’ll be amongst your most valuable contacts going forward into the industry. You’ll get out what you put in, and your energy will be infectious. 10
First Watch LCoM Students Choice Tour
Water Breaker Leeds Lock-In
First up – a couple of things: •P lease join the ‘Leeds College of Music Official Freshers 2013/14’ Facebook Group. This will be updated daily with general information, and help you keep track of the main cohort on nights out!
FRESHERS’ WEEK Go-Karting Cream tea Tokyo Doorbells
Pool Competition Subliminal!
•T he meeting point for all events shall be the LCoM Bar unless otherwise stated. •K eep your eyes peeled for LCoM Bar Live Schedule (Joseph Stones House Entrance) •L CoM are running a competition for the best 6 second creative capture of Freshers Week! #6FreshSeconds on Vine or Instagram to enter. Great prize for the winner!
Please drink responsibly during
Alternative Quiz Night
Survivors Alton Towers Freshers’ Week. For the facts about alcohol: www.drinkaware.co.uk Breakfast Dodgeball Sunday Joint Comedy Night
Freshers Fair Demo Doctor
Start of Year Party
Now let’s get to it! >
- FIRST WATCH – LCoM Bar 08.30 – 17.00 Starting at the LCoM bar, the week begins with an open and informal day of people, people and more people, naturally accompanied by live music from some of our most promising young artists and alumni. The heart and soul of the college is crossdiscipline collaboration, so get down and get yourself on the map from day one!
THE LCoM STUDENTS’ – CHOICE TOUR Meeting at LCoM Bar 19.30 – 00.00 18+
- 16 Th
The eagerly anticipated first night of the week, and it’s all about rite of passage. We take you out to all the bars most popular with LCoM students. From the curiosity parlour ‘Fab Café’ to the ever-fashionable and musically infamous ‘Nation of Shopkeepers’, these are places you will be frequenting and forgetting for years to come. So join us, leave us, join us again...make your own night of it. We’ll be keeping you updated with the general whereabouts of the hoard via Facebook, but this is really about you exploring your new home. Game faces on! Make sure you bring ID
– WATER-BREAKER –
The Forum Leisure Centre 09.00 – 11.00 and 14.00 – 19.00
LEEDS MET. FRESHERS TRIP – Meet at LCoM Bar 12.00
Should you fancy a leisurely dip or detox sauna session we’ve arranged for you to be able to use the Forum Leisure Centre for the best part of the day – literally two minutes from Joseph Stones House. Remember to bring your
We venture to the Freshers Week at Leeds Met. University to introduce you to the goings on uptown! Their Students’ Union is open for you to use and socialise in at your leisure throughout your time at LCoM, so we’re gonna show you the ropes. Expect lounges, casual drinks, pool tables and a handful of new friends. We’ll do the same the following week with Leeds Uni!
- 17Th -
– LEEDS LOCK-IN –
– THE T‘N’B!! –
Oporto 19.00 – late
Merrion Centre Bowl 20.00 – 00.00
Presenting the Tuesday Night Bowl, a well-established tradition amongst LCoM students! The retro vibes from the heckling, comedy DJ and numerous bowl-related opportunities for free drinks make this a cheap ‘n’ cheerful classic! (If you want the full experience, head down to Milano’s for the £1 slice to follow).
Join us for a night of assorted performance art, ranging from live music of all genres, through to poetry and stand-up comedy! Hosted at Oporto on Call Lane where you’ll be greeted with a hotdog reception - veggies also catered for! Make sure you bring ID
– GO KARTING! – //Bonus Event//
Pole Position Indoor Karting 11.30 – 16.00 Smoke the opposition and prove your worth on the tarmac as LCoMSU take on the track. Considerable prizes at stake for this one!
– MID-WEEK LIVE – LCoM Bar 12.00 – 16.00 We host another ‘First Watch’ style afternoon to showcase some more LCoM talent and to welcome FE students enrolling that day. Expect Jazz, Hip Hop, Acoustic and Rock!
- 18Th -
– CREAM TEA –
– TOKYO DOORBELLS –
LCoM Bar 16.00 – 18.00
Nation of Shopkeepers 19.00 – 00.00
Quintessential cream tea for all you sweet-toothed anglophiles! Homemade scones, strawberries, clotted cream and tea served to you at your table– the works! All smoothed over by one of our brightest talents in the form of jazz pianist, Mr. Ashley Henry. A chance to put your feet up and titter like old women in knitted hats!
18+ Head down to Nation of Shopkeepers for a night of live improvised electronics from the Leeds collective known as Tokyo Doorbells. Featuring LCoM Alumni Chris Sharkey (TrioVD, Acoustic Ladyland), James Mainwaring (Roller Trio) and Simon Beddoe (Submotion Orchestra), expect the unexpected, the weird and the wonderful! Make sure you bring ID
– POOL COMPETITION– The Elbow Room 14.30 – 18.00 18+ Get your shark fin on! Looking for the premier challengers for this year’s title. Elbow Room is the venue – prizes at stake! Make sure you bring ID
– SUBLIMINAL! –
The Wardrobe 19.30-00.00 18+
- 19Th -
Perhaps the most musically mouth-watering evening of the week, this is a real big’un! Founded by LCoM Alumni, this live Hip-Hop night is a real inspiration for those of you aspiring to be innovative on the live scene, as well as showcasing some of the most technically brilliant and danceable tunes of the week. Make sure you bring ID Following Subliminal - free entry & drink at the O2 Academy’s ‘PHAT THURSDAYS’ club night with your Freshers’ Week wristband
– FRESHERS FAIR –
– DEMO DOCTOR –
LCoM Bar 12.00 – 15.00
LCoM - Room 219 15.00 – 17.00
Packed out with an assortment of representatives from student societies, local businesses, volunteer groups and local welfare initiatives, come down and find out how you can become more engaged with your local community, as well as the other universities in Leeds. There’ll be something for everyone, and you can expect lots of freebies!
Get one of your tracks heard and professionally critiqued by a panel of industry specialists including leading major label A&R reps, local gig promoters and pro producers, as well as letting everyone know what you’re about! Sure to be interesting and hugely motivating for the year ahead. Dropbox for demo submissions will be in the LCoM bar all week
- 20Th -
ALTERNATIVE QUIZ NIGHT – LCoM Bar 19.30 – 23.00
Come and test your wits against your new found friends in this alternative (phone proof!) quiz. There will be twisted audio, cheese tasting and a ukulele & melodica duo hosting the TV intros round! Prizes aplenty including worst score and best team name.
– THE SESSION – The Cockpit 23.00 – late 18+ Leeds’ premier indie/pop punk/ rock club, and a great atmosphere no matter what your taste. Loveliest people in the whole town turn up for this one. Tattoos and stretchers all over the place, and guaranteed good vibes all night! Make sure you bring ID
– ALTON TOWERS –
– DODGEBALL –
Forum Leisure Centre 14.00 – 17.00
09.00 – 19.00 Coach it over to one of the UK’s premier theme parks for a day of adrenaline-fuelled adventure with your new compadres. Need we say more??
Get your war paint on boys and girls. Nothing spells a good time better than throwing things at people you barely know, after all. Prizes at stake!!
THE HOUSE OF FUN COMEDY NIGHT – LCoM Bar 19.30 – 23.00
- 21 st
We’ve worked in association with Leeds’ leading comedy promoters ‘The House of Fun’ to bring you some of the best professional comedians on the circuit.
– PROPAGANDA – O2 Academy 23.00 – Late 18+ The UK’s biggest Indie night brings an audiovisual extravaganza to this banging venue every Saturday. Hugely popular with the party scene students and boasting a stonking great sound system, this one might just become a regular fixture. A Leeds classic all night blowout! Make sure you bring ID
– SURVIVORS BREAKFAST – LCoM Bar 11.00 – 13.00 To commemorate your week’s worth of gallant efforts and to soak up the remnants of the ones-too-many, we put on a slap-up cooked breakfast. If you make it down the stairs, you won’t regret it!
– THE SUNDAY JOINT –
Hifi 21.00 – late 18+
- 22nd -
If you can still hack it, we escort you to a Leeds Sunday night favourite. Great, student-friendly club with a great reputation for its impressive range of live music acts. You’ll be sure to come here again – a firm favourite amongst the regular party crews of years past! Make sure you bring ID Q-jump for wristband holders until 23.00
AND IT DOESN’T STOP THERE…
– ONE LAST THING –
– NUS EXTRA – For £12, you can get your hands on the National Union of Students Card which entitles you to discounts from literally hundreds of businesses and services, including (notably) half price Spotify premium, as well as clothing, takeaways, train tickets and the list goes on. You simply can’t afford not to have one – you’ll make the £12 back within a couple of months easily!
- 23rd -
For more info visit: www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra/
START OF YEAR PARTY WITH LEEDS COLLEGE OF ART SKY LARKIN / GALAXIANS / COWTOWN Brudenell Social Club 20.00 – Late 18+ Make sure you join us at the historic cult venue, the Brudenell Social Club, for an eclectic evening of live music with Leeds College of Art! This venue is at the heart of the Leeds music community and we’ll be handing the stage to three of Leeds’ best live acts – a real opportunity to dive head first into the local scene and get involved in the wider student community, as well as meeting the 2nd and 3rd year LCoM students. Not to be missed! Make sure you bring ID
Well that’s it for now… If you’re unclear about anything or want any extra information on anything, please feel free to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
– See you in – September!
– AVAILABLE AS A LARGE PRINT PDF – Contact email@example.com Design by Split (split.co.uk)