JJuho Karjalainen, Night Skier, 2012.
T H E MU S E U M S OF L A PPE E N R A N TA
20 1 7
SOUTH KARELIA MUSEUM Kristiinankatu 15, The Fortress of Lappeenranta Tel. +358 5 616 2255 Tel. +358 5 616 2261 Opening hours
Winter season: 3 Jan–4 June and 22 Aug–30 Dec Tues-Sun 11 am–5 pm Summer season: 5 June–20 Aug Mon–Fri 10 am–6 pm Sat–Sun 11 am–5 pm South Karelia Museum is closed 1 January, Easter 14–17 April May Day 30 April–1 May Ascension 25 May Midsummer 23–24 June Independence Day 6 December Christmas 23–26, 31 December
Admission Combination ticket to Fortress Museums • adults €8 • pensioners, students, unemployed, groups/ person (min. 10 people) €7 • under 18 years of age: free of charge Free admission to South Karelia Museum 4–21 April, 7–24 November Permanent exhibition Free admission on Museum Fridays Spring season: 6 Jan, 3 Feb, 3 Mar, 7 Apr, 5 May Autumn season: 1 Sep, 6 Oct, 3 Nov, 1 Dec The Museum Shop is open during the museum’s opening hours.
South Karelia Museum is located at the northernmost tip of the Fortress of Lappeenranta in a warehouse that was originally built as an artillery depot. The museum buildings are different from the neoclassical brick garrisons of the fortress, as they were constructed using local stone. The permanent exhibition, On the Border – Three Karelian Cities relates the central chapters in the history of Lappeenranta, Viipuri (Vyborg), and Käkisalmi (Priozersk), which has been affected by their location along accessible routes on the border of East and West. Like many border towns, multiculturalism has been the defining aspect of these three cities as well. As On the Border is a large permanent exhibition, it offers things to see and learn for more than just one museum visit. There is also a miniature model of the town of Viipuri in the permanent exhibition. It presents Viipuri as it was on September 2, 1939. There are films about the life in Lappeenranta, Viipuri, and Käkisalmi in the museums little cinema. The aim of the exhibition is to provide information and experiences concerning the history of South Karelia for all ages. There is also a mini exhibition for children and a play area with Pekka -barge. The collections of South Karelia Museum include objects and photographs from Lappeenranta and the rest of the South Karelia region, as well from the Karelian Isthmus that is now part of Russia. The Collections are showcased both in temporary and permanent exhibitions. In addition to exhibitions, the South Karelia Museum organizes guided tours, various events and workshops.
SOUTH KARELIA MUSEUM’S temporary exhibitions IN 2017
– 2 April 2017 Colour is the Light – Colour Photographs from Saimaa to the East Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky, a Russian photographer who was a pioneer in colour photography, took his first colour photographs along the Saimaa Canal in Finland in 1903. The “Colour is the Light” exhibition at South Karelia Museum includes photographs of subjects including Lake Saimaa, Viena, Aunus, Perm and Tver taken by Prokudin-Gorsky on his photography trips between 1903 and 1915.
The most beautiful place on Saimaa Canal, 1903 Lauritsala.
22 April – 5 November 2017
Colours of war – colour photographs of the Winter War and Continuation War The South Karelia Museum exhibition introduces rare colour photographs taken during the Second World War. Enlargements of genuine wartime colour photographs are an impressive way to show the diversity of life in the war years, both on the front and behind the lines. The colour photographs of the Winter War were discovered several decades after the end of the war. The photographer was found to be Carl-Erik Groth, a military medic from Sweden who was working for the Red Cross. The exhibition comprises photographs from the Finnish Literature Society, private collections, the wartime photography archive of the Finnish Defence Forces and the Red Cross.
Lieutenant Tossavainen, a spotter with the 3rd/Heavy Artillery Battalion 28, and an unknown staff sergeant. Photograph: SKS/Eino Malm. Reproduction: Museo Militaria/Sirkka Ojala.
Harvesting the fields of Alastaro. Photograph: SKS/KRA/Antti Hämäläinen. Reproduction: Museo Militaria/Sirkka Ojala.
Lieutenant Olavi Paavolainen, an author, in Aunus during the trench war in autumn 1942. Photograph: Kim Borg.
The Red Cross war hospital from Sweden was the first line of support to help Finland during the Winter War. Photograph: Savonlinna Regional Museum.
25 November 2017 – 8 April 2018 Suur-Merijoki manor house – an Art Nouveau gem Suur-Merijoki manor house near Vyborg was built in 1903. It was commissioned by St Petersburg businessman Maximilian Neuscheller. The Gesellius-LindgrenSaarinen architectural practice created every detail of the luxurious masterpiece, right down to the furniture and textiles. Nowadays, all that is left of the grand establishment are a collection of mossy ruins. The exhibition tells the story of the manor house and displays some of its unique objects. The exhibition features items of furniture, decorative objects and sculptures from collections owned by museums and collectors. Visitors can also see the spectacular architectural designs and photographs. The exhibition is produced by Museum Milavida from Tampere.
Eliel Saarinen, Suur-Merijoki hall, music room in the background, 1902. Documents Architecture Moderne.
Suur-Merijoki manor house, Four Women, sculpture (1903). Photograph: Saana Säilynoja, Museums of Tampere.
LAPPEENRANTA ART MUSEUM Kristiinankatu 8-10 The Fortress of Lappeenranta Tel. +358 5 616 2256 Tel. +358 5 616 2261 Opening hours Winter season: 3 Jan–4 June and 22 Aug–30 Dec Tues-Sun 11 am–5 pm Summer season: 5 June–20 Aug Mon–Fri 10 am–6 pm Sat–Sun 11 am–5 pm The Museum Shop Sulotar is open during the opening hours of the museum.
Lappeenranta Art Museum is closed 1 January change of exhibition 6–17 March Easter 14–17 April May Day 30 Apr–1 May change of exhibition 22 May–2 June Midsummer 23–24 June change of exhibition 11–22 September Independence Day 6 December Christmas 23–26 December 31 December
Admission Combination ticket to Fortress Museums • adults €8 • pensioners, students, unemployed, groups/ person (min. 10 people) €7 • under 18 years of age: free of charge Free admission on Museum Fridays Spring season: 6 Jan, 3 Feb, 3 Mar, 7 Apr, 5 May Autumn season: 1 Sep, 6 Oct, 3 Nov, 1 Dec
Lappeenranta Art Museum is located in the Fortress of Lappeenranta in yellow neoclassical barracks opposite the Orthodox Church. These yellow barracks were built in 1798. Lappeenranta Art Museum is the Regional Art Museum of SouthEastern Finland. The museum collection is primarily composed of Finnish art from the 19th century to present day. One large and important collection is the collection by Viipurin Taiteenystävät ry (Vyborg Friends of Art). The art from South-Eastern Finland is one of the main focuses in the acquisitions of the museum. The exhibition program of the art museum presents a versatile overview of artistic phenomena. The main focus is on Finnish contemporary art, but the history of art is displayed regularly too. One of the museum’s priorities is to showcase art from South-Eastern Finland, but every now and then international exhibitions are arranged as well. In addition to temporary exhibitions, the Art Museum offers supplementary programmes, such as guided tours, events and workshops. Together the museums of Lappeenranta organize a customer panel and a museum club.
LAPPEENRANTA ART MUSEUM’S temporary exhibitions IN 2017
– 5 March 2017 Emotion in Motion – a Juha Metso retrospective 18 March – 21 May 2017 Päiviö Pyöttiälä – a self-taught surrealist Kotka-born artist Päiviö Pyöttiälä (1924–2006) painted a large number of works depicting harbours and railways, as well as societal themes, in his own distinctive style. Pyöttiälä’s paintings have been described as surrealist as well as naive. The exhibition was produced by Aboa Vetus & Ars Nova, the museum of history and contemporary art.
Juha Metso, Ice Stay, 2013.
18 March – 21 May 2017 We shall overcome – the art museum’s collections from the 1960s and 1970s 25 April – 21 May 2017 Mikko Vento. As the world breaks down – photography exhibition
Päiviö Pyöttiälä, Self-portrait from my dachshund years, 1978
3 June – 10 September 2017 Faces of Karelia This exhibition presents Karelia and its various faces, forests, landscapes, towns, villages and people through older works, as well as some newer works. Karelia as shown in the exhibition encompasses North Karelia, South Karelia and the areas of former Finnish Karelia that are now beyond the Russian border. The exhibition is part of the Finland 100 programme in 2017.
Väinö Rautio, Vyborg from Patterinmäki hill, 1936.
Markus Collin, Potato harvest in Eastern Karelia, 1943.
Ilmari Aalto, Houses on Suursaari island (Gogland in Russian), 1928.
Juho Karjalainen, Icarus, 2011.
23 September 2017 – 7 January 2018 Juho Karjalainen Juho Karjalainen will turn 70 in 2017 and this jubilee exhibition presents the skilful graphic artist’s newest works. Some of his earlier works are also on display. The exhibition was produced in collaboration with Jyväskylä and Kajaani Art Museums.
23 September 2017 – 7 January 2018 The long horizon – Tarja Heilimo and collections
Tarja Heilimo, Power Paw I, 2015. Photo: Tommi Kähärä.
8 August – 10 September 2017 Eero Järnefelt’s Under the Yoke (Burning the Brushwood) – Classics on Tour 2017
Eero Järnefelt’s Under the Yoke/Burning the Brushwood (1893) is touring five Finnish art museums in honour of Finland 100 celebration as part of the Ateneum’s Classics on Tour 2017 exhibition. Eero Järnefelt, Under the Yoke (Burning the Brushwood) (1893). Finnish National Gallery/Ateneum Art Museum. Photograph: Finnish National Gallery/Hannu Aaltonen.
THE WOLKOFF HOUSE MUSEUM Kauppakatu 26, Lappeenranta Tel. +358 5 616 2258 Tel. +358 5 616 2261 Opening hours
Winter season: 4 Mar–4 June and 26 Aug–3 Dec Sat–Sun 11 am–5 pm Summer season: 5 June–20 Aug Mon–Fri 10 am–6 pm Sat–Sun 11 am–5 pm The Wolkoff House Museum is closed 1 January, 7 January–3 March May Day 30 April–1 May Midsummer 23–24 June Independence Day 6 December Christmas 23–26, 31 December Other times open on request Reservations Tel.+358 5 616 2261 • Dramatized tours • School and kindergarten groups
Admission • adults €8 • pensioners, students, unemployed, groups/ person (min. 10 people) €7 • under 18 years of age: free of charge
Entrance on guided tours that start from the Wolkoff Museum shop:
Tours are in Finnish, audio tours in Russian and in English Times 10:00 only during summer 11:00 12:00 13:00 14:00 15:00 16:00 17:00 only during summer
In Russian and English only during summer 5 June–20 Aug 10:30 only Mon–Fri 11:30 12:30 13:30 14:30 15:30 16:30 only Mon–Fri
in connection with the Wolkoff House Museum, there is a small Wolkoff Museum Shop.
The merchant house known as Wolkoff House was built by businessman Jacob Claudelin in 1826. The wing on Ainonkatu was completed in 1905. Ivan Wolkoff (1827–1900), originally from Yaroslavl, arrived in Lappeenranta in the 1840s. He began his career as a gardener, butcher and merchant. Ivan was later awarded the rights of a Finnish citizen and merchant. Ivan and his wife, Lyubov, had 10 children, and their sons, Mikhail and Nikolai, carried on their father’s business. Nikolai lived in the house on Kauppakatu with Maria, his wife from St Petersburg, and their children, Johannes and Anna. Johannes studied agronomy and was responsible for looking after the garden and farms. He lived in the house of his birth with his wife Martta and their five children. Anna studied languages and graduated with a master’s degree. After marrying, she lived in Imatra. When Anna’s husband, Väinö Nissinen, died in a train accident, Anna Wolkoff-Nissinen moved back to her childhood home on Kauppakatu. In 1946, she was awarded a tenure at the Lappeenranta Lyceum. She is remembered as a legendary teacher of German and Russian. The Wolkoff House was a family home for four generations. The heirs decided to donate it for use as a museum in 1986. The house was inaugurated as a museum in 1993.
Easter at the Wolkoff House Opening hours Sat 8 – Sun 9 April 2017 Tue 11 – Thu 13 April 2017 Sat 15 – Sun 16 April 2017
The Wolkoff museum is decorated for Easter in accordance with the family’s traditions. Easter is the most important celebration in the Orthodox Church’s calendar – at this time of year, the tables in the hall were set with Easter delicacies, paschas, babkas and kulichs. The iconic decorative eggs and willow branches blessed by the church remained in place until the end of Easter, on Ascension Thursday.
Christmas at the Wolkoff House Opening hours Tue 12 – Sun 17 Dec 2017 Tue 19 – Fri 22 Dec 2017 Wed 27 – Sat 30 Dec 2017 Tue 2 – Sun 7 Jan 2018 Christmas shop also open Fri 8 – Sun 10 Dec 2017 Christmas will is celebrated at the Wolkoff Museum in the style of Johannes Wolkoff’s family. The dining room is decorated with a Christmas tree reaching all the way up to the ceiling, as well as baskets of flowers received as Christmas gifts. The amaryllises grown by Martta Wolkoff are also part of the atmosphere. The family celebrated Christmas Eve in the Finnish way, although the traditions of the Orthodox Church calendar were otherwise strictly adhered to.
The Cavalry Museum is closed in the summer of 2017 because of renovations. The summer exhibition will be moved to South Karelia Museum.
up to present-day traditions. The emphasis is on the cavalries operating in Lappeenranta. The arrival of the Finnish Dragoon Regiment (1889–1901) in Lappeenranta was of great importance to the city. The regiment was located on the present-day Rakuunamäki hill. From 1901 to 1917, the garrison was used by Russian cavalry. After Finland gained independence, the Cavalry Brigade was set up in 1921 from the Uusimaa Dragoon Regiment and the Häme Cavalry Regiment. The cavalrymen, dressed in red trousers and “skeleton” jackets, and their horses were part of Lappeenranta’s urban landscape from the 1920s until the end of the 1940s.
5 June – 20 August 2017 HOPLAA! – Finnhorses Katriina ViljamaaRissanen, coloured pencil and pastel The summer exhibition at the Cavalry Museum celebrates 110 years of the Finnhorses. Katriina Viljamaa-Rissanen’s works in coloured pencil and pastel are also on display at Galleria Kaakaopapu, the gallery of Lappeenranta Art School 29 June –18 July 2017.
The Cavalry Museum is in a guardhouse built for the Russian garrison in 1772 within the Lappeenranta fortifications. The museum was established in 1973. The museum’s exhibition presents the history of the Finnish cavalry, from the Hakkapeliittas in the time of Swedish rule in the 17th century
Katriina ViljamaaRissanen, Wild West Logger, Hoplaa!, 2016.
Green Warehouse Kristiinankatu 6 The Fortress of Lappeenranta Free admission
3 June – 13 August 2017
2 September – 1 October 2017
The far-away land of happiness – pictures of a good life
Ludwig Heinrich von Nicolay (1737–1820)
Soli Perttu worked with people from South Karelia and used community art to research the relationship each of the people had with their own lives and the area of their origin.
The exhibition is dedicated to the 280th anniversary of the birth of Ludwig Heinrich Nicolay, the third owner of the Estate of Monrepos. The exhibition tells the story of an outstanding personality, his life, friends and relatives.
GALLERY LAURA Kauppakatu 25, Tasihin House Lappeenranta Taito Shop Tel. +358 40 684 9554 Enquiries on the exhibitions Tel. +358 40 838 6592 Free admission Gallery Laura is located in the Tasihin House on Kauppakatu Street. The house now accommodates a gallery named after arts and crafts specialist Laura Korpikaivo-Tamminen, an arts and crafts shop and the local office of Finnish Crafts Organization. The South Karelia Museum organizes an exhibition at Gallery Laura every year.
8 September – 3 November 2017 Fashion accessories Wolkoff style Galleria Laura’s 2017 exhibition displays fashion accessories in the Wolkoff style. The exhibition shows Maria Wolkoff’s enchanting wedding shoes and other beautiful accessories from the Wolkoff family: handbags, hats, shoes and even some dresses from various decades. The exhibition of Wolkoff accessories provides a glimpse into the fashions of times gone by in Lappeenranta. Maria Wolkoff’s wedding shoes.
MUSEUM ADMINISTRATION Box 239, 53101 Lappeenranta Street address: Kristiinankatu 9 Tel. +358 5 616 2261 email@example.com • Group reservations • Guided tour reservations for groups • Renting of premises
Lappeenrannan kaupunki kiinteistö- ja mittaustoimi
The Museums of Lappeenranta: www.lappeenranta.fi/museot www.facebook.com/lappeenrannanmuseot www.instagram.com/lappeenrannanmuseot Explore the collections of the Museums of Lappeenranta on the internet https://lappeenrannanmuseot.finna.fi South Karelian Museum Portal: www.etelakarjalanmuseot.fi Get to know the Fortress on your smartphone or tablet: http://tarinasoitin.fi/linnoituskierros Museum shop Sulotar: www.linnoituksenpuodit.fi
ALL INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE