Our approach to Sustainable Intelligence
At Doubletree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center La Mola we work towards having a low environmental impact.
From a building design that uses natural light, native vegetation, recycling programs, free-cooling system and the use of renewable energy with the recent launch of a biomass plant.
Sustainability is one of the main values of Doubletree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center La Mola and is part of our business and social commitment with the environment. Doubletree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center La Mola is committed to playing its part towards conservation of the environment reinforcing its corporate and social responsibility Doubletree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center La Mola is located in an area of natural beauty that stimulates innovation and exchanging of ideas. To this effect, the centre blends into the natural environment as well as being part of a local area
Innovation, sustainability and integration with the environment
Nature and sustainability are at the heart of the activity at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center La Mola . At Doubletree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center La Mola we work towards having a low environmental impact. From a building design that uses natural light, native vegetation, recycling programs, the heating areas by free-cooling, the use of renewable energy with the recent launch of a biomass plant.
Sustainable intelligence: our principles
Responsible use of land
Design of a healthy habitat integrated with the landscape
Thoughtful use of materials
Technical optimization of the installations
Alternative technologies as a way to produce energy Responsible use of facilities by customers, suppliers and employees
1. Responsible use of land Our hotel is built on very specific architectural parameters to blend in with nature. All of our gardens and walking areas have been built and designed following the same philosophy and taking good account of the plants and shrubs in the area The Doubletree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Mola is located in an area of natural beauty that stimulates innovation and the exchange of ideas. To this effect, the centre blends into the natural environment as well as being part of a local area We pay special attention to the vegetation and the nature found in the surrounding area. The Doubletree by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center takes care of all trees and nature which is located in the vicinity and has an agreement with Terrassa town Hall to nurture and look after the nearby environment.
2. Design of a healthy habitat integrated with the landscape (I) • •
Building is positioned so that solar contributions are maximized and/or can be controlled The venue buildings are built under the tree line. Any free space has been replanted with tree and nurseries to help blend the venue into the environment. The maximum height of the building is 10 meters so that the visual impact is minimal in contrast to the forest tree line Increase the thermal inertia of the building so that it costs less to refrigerate it or heat it, creating a friendly and stable thermal environment Take advantage of prevailing winds of the place Natural free cooling system. Our walls are provided with windows and balconies designed to keep heat inside in winter, while in summer the perforated metal curtains allow free passage of air to generate air currents that allow us to save on the generation of cold. All of these mechanisms are governed by operating consoles in the meeting rooms or by remote controls.
2. Design of a healthy habitat integrated with the landscape (II) • Use of vegetation to control wind and cool the atmosphere • Use of purely architectural elements such as shape of the building itself (compact or not), pergolas and overhangs to control solar yields • Lean and direction of lights are no case is focused toward the sky. They are shielded types to prevent excessive flow values of installed higher hemisphere. • Stress the importance of creating comfortable and appealing environments to stay and work. • To promote natural lighting. The expanse of glazing and skylights can maximize the entry of natural light while the mobile panels and exterior shutters isolate the excess of heat • Reduce the maximum noise levels. Improving the work environment is not a cost but an investment as it improves user productivity between 4% and 8% (*) (*) Source: external studies
3. Thoughtful use of materials • Use of existing materials in the area to avoid energy spent in transport • Local wood taken from sustainably managed forests (certified). Additionally it maintains local economic activity and creates jobs. • Durable materials that avoid regular production due to its lifecycle. • Recycle construction materials used in previous works • Avoid the use of materials harmful to health
4. Technical optimization of the installation (I) • Energy savings through proper insulation, the segmentation of space to avoid unnecessary air-conditioning and lighting, installing low energy lighting, recycling of rainwater for toilets and irrigation, flush toilets with double tank discharge, use of high performance appliances, ... Separate collection of waste • selective collection of the following waste: glass, paper, cardboard, plastic, cans, organic waste, metals as well as batteries, lamps and toners • selective collection of used oils in the kitchen. A grease trap installed Water savings • Diffusers and flow meters in bathrooms and toilets in order to reduce water consumption: taps with flow restrictors gives a volume of less than 8 l/min • Toilets incorporate a discharge switching device • Indoor pool chlorination disinfection carried out by combined bromine-ozone . • Pools provide automatic dosing of chemicals
4. Technical optimization of the installation (II) Installation of hot water (DHW) and heating • All hot water facilities, storage tanks, distribution pipes, boilers, etc., are insulated. • The building uses solar heating energy for DHW production Air conditioning • Thermostats are available in all rooms and hotel common areas controlled within the room and from reception • 20% of the outer glass surface shall be equipped with double glass. • The glass of the rooms have outdoor sun protection louvers. • Air will to work with free-cooling option, used when the outside air temperature is low enough to provide the necessary comfort inside. • Refrigeration equipment will use refrigerants with a global depletion of the ozone layer zero. • Contact sensor; so that when the window is opened the room fan coil stops. • Reuse heat from air extracted from the pool area to pre-heat the air in the room.
4. Technical optimization of the installation (III) Electrical / Lighting: • Building designed to have the maximum natural light in interior spaces for its maximum use. Installation of blinds and slats on the exterior facing windows and exterior glass with high reflectance coefficient to prevent the emission of light from the inside to outside • In interior areas triosfor fluorescent and compact fluorescent lamps are used. In areas with no social use, fluorescent electronic ballast are installed • Electricity consumption meters per area • The whole lighting system is based on fluorescence energy-saving lights, proximity sensors, twilight switches and all governed by a program managing time and intensity. • Widespread use of energy saving light bulbs and occupancy sensors, optimize consumption In the meeting rooms . • The exterior lighting installed on site favors the saving, proper and better use of energy. It is connected with photoelectric cells to be operated only when needed. Leed lamps installed in several areas • Terrassa Town Hall measures the electricity used by the hotel and ensures that it stays under the maximum volume agreed
5. Alternative technologies as a way to produce energy (I)
Solar Panels • Solar panels can be found on top of two buildings in Doubletree by Hilton La Mola. The solar panels provide, on average, 20-30% of the total energy used and can reach 50% at certain times of year • The horizontal collector surface is approximately 400m2. • Equipped with heat sinks. Primary circuit with heat transfer fluid GLICOL. Plate heat exchangers for thermal contribution to a secondary circuit • Controlled by a computer managing system Recycling Water • Doubletree by Hilton La Mola has numerous green areas where used water is recycled through a station and generated into pure water from the activities within the centre Wastewater Treatment • System for the treatment of the generated wastewater • Recycling of treated water on deposit for automated irrigation system • Recovered waste in recycling plants
5. Alternative technologies as a way to produce energy (I)
Biomass boiler energy producer • Modular boilers, prefabricated, compliance • Low energy inertia with fast heat availability • Energy saving, reducing external electricity consumption • Feeding system – Biomass boiler. Use of compos. Pellets as ÖNORM M 7135, DINplus o Swisspellet, wood G30-G50/W40 as ÖNORM M 7133 • Safety compliance by IBS • Not at the expense of fossil’s market prices • Availability of biomass in our own territory • Automatic cleaning • Produces energy for hot water (sanitary purposes), panel heating, spa pools and air conditioning
6. Responsible use of facilities by customers, suppliers and employees (I) Customers • The hotel follows the recommendations of the guidance of UN´s sustainable program and meets the requirements to host GREEN MEETINGS. • Our Meeting Angels are trained to advise, manage and help the client to organize your Green Event • Separate collection of the following waste: glass, paper, cardboard, plastic, cans, organic waste, metals and batteries, lamps and toners • Require recycled material deliveries and use of facilities • In association with a specialised recycling company, La Mola has various recycling bins to separate up to 5 different kinds of materials for recycling.
6. Responsible use of facilities by customers, Suppliers suppliers and employees (II) • We have launched a restaurant led by Km0 approach, using products of proximity and from local suppliers. Local suppliers are supported as part of our integration scheme • We also have a program to reuse sheets and towels in the rooms. • We have agreements with the city council of Terrassa and various environmental organizations to maintain and care for the native flora and fauna in our area. Employees • Training programs for employees in order to make them aware of the environmental management of the Hotel • The hotel has a team of employees called the GREEN TEAM, who conduct a serious of environmental actions as well as organize awareness days for staff and people who come to our Open Days. • In La Mola we take care of the vegetation and nature which surrounds us. The vegetation of the gardens is native and irrigation follows a criteria adapted to the seasons