Page 1





Cosenz Cos enza, a, Chu Church rch of Sa Sann Dome Domenic nico o


he province of Cosenza stretches from the Tyrrhenian to the Ionian coast. The Pollino National Park and the Sila National Park with its lakes (Cecita, Arvo, AriamĂ cina and part of the Ampollino) are included in its territory. It is one of the widest provinces in Italy, with 155 communes, stretching for 6650 square kilometres (the 44,1% of the entire Calabrian territory). Its striking beauty is a result of its art, culture and nature and of its different itineraries and sceneries. The Tyrrhenian coast with its beaches, islets, resorts and caves, is very attractive. The Ionian coast is charming as well, with its blue sea, virgin shores, the ruins of the castles and pleasant artistic towns. The mountain hinterland of the province is even appealing; it is characterized by the colours of a nature rich in wild flora and fauna, by the taste of traditional gastronomy and by the beauty of the artistic handicraft. Cosenza, chief town of the homonymous province, was founded by the Bruzi tribe with the name of Cosentia and fought with Hannibal against the Romans, who conquered it in the year 204 B.C. It was dominated by different populations: tha Saracen invasions forced the inhabitants to take refuge on the surrounding mountains, thus abadoning the city, that rose again under the Normans, the Swabians and the Angevins (15th - 16th centuries). The architecture and the culture of this city are witnesses to these events.












Amante Ama nteaa (CS) (CS),, beac beaches hes

San a Luucid cido do ((CS) C ), towe CS) owerr


View Vie w of of Alto Altomon monte te

ALTOMONTE It is a charming town in the province of Cosenza, set at the foot of Pollino National Park. It offers the visitor its old town centre, natural sceneries, elegant buildings, ancient churches testifying to its old attractive history. HISTORY The village boasts ancient origins: it was mentioned by Pliny the Elder with the name of Balbia, it was then named Bragallum, Brahalla or Brakalla (nouns of Saracen or Norman origin), it definitely became Altomonte in the year 1343 thanks to the Queen Joan I of Naples’s will. It was ruled by the Sangineto family and one of its illustrious members was Filippo Sangineto (Ruggiero I Sangineto’s son, Earl of Corogliano), who resided here and gave many works of art to the town, the so called “treasures of the Earl Filippoâ€?. It was later ruled by the Sanseverino family, until the revolutionary feudal laws (1806). MUST SEES Church of Santa Maria della Consolazione                 Francesco di Paola, with the 24 metres high bell-tower      Apostolo          

EVENTS        ! (Saint patron) on the second Sunday in May. The statue of the Saint is carried on the shoulders by the faithfuls through the streets of the town.   

 "    , an important cultural event of the town of Altomonte and Calabria in general.

Old to town wn cen centre tre,, a la lane ne

#$ %#&$'  The most renowned goods are liqueurs, like “limoncello�, “fragolino�and “ginestrino�, red and white wines, olives, olive oil and “necklaces� of red peppers dried in the sun. &%(($%#()"  Altomonte cuisine is genuine and original and is characterized by a particular attention to the tradition and by the use of natural products. Among its most famous dishes, it is right to mention the mischiglja (a word meaning “mingled�), a soup prepared with spontaneous herbs; the maccarruni, homemade pasta; the rastatieddri and lagane e ceci (homemade pasta with chickpeas). Furthermore, the visitor can enjoy tasty “pitte con i scarafugli�, focaccias filled with pork scraps, tomatoes or elder flowers. The zafarani cruschi are peppers dried in the sun and fried in boling oil. ANCIENT JOBS  This town still preserves its love for local handicraft, with a good clay manufacturing and the production of wicker items, like baskets and hampers. The fine art of embroidery is developed as well.

Chu hurch rcch of rch of S. S Ma aria a d laa Con del C ssol olazi azzione one

O toown Old w cen en ntre tr


View Vie w of of Cerc Cerchia hiaaraa

"& )(%&%( %#%,&(%

Shrine Shr ine of S. Ma Maria ria de delle lle Ar Armi mi

Tower Tow er Pal Palazz azzoo dell dellaa Pian Pianaa

I eri Int e or the To Tower wer of Pal Palazz azzoo dell dellaa Pian Pianaa


An evocative town lying at the foot of Mount Pellaro, Cerchiara di Calabria offers the visitor two charming landscapes: old wards, characterized by stone houses overlooking the Plain of Sibari, and many hidden and charming caves attracting many speleologists. HISTORY The ancient origins of this town testify the discovery of many archeological finds. There are more information regarding the Byzantine age, during which it probably was an important monastic centre, known as Ciclarium, whose etymology is doubtful. During the Norman age, after the Church latinization, many Byzantine monasteries of this area passed under the rule of some Latin abbeys of the South of Italy. It was a baronial land of Calabria Citra (the modern Province of Cosenza), a feud belonging to the Sanseverino family in the year 1300, confiscated in 1494 by the king Alfonso II and given to Giovanni Borgia and to the Pignatelli family, who owned it until the abolishment of feudality (1806). MUST SEES     -       %, leaning against the mount Sellaro (15th century).  Church of San Pietro         ..      Castle (ruins) built in late Medieval age and subsequently rebuilt.

EVENTS  Feast of     % celebrated on 25th April.      *"+   (Emigrants Festival) on 14th August.  Festa del peperoncino (Hot Pepper Festival), on the third saturday of September.   +     (Frisill Festival) during summer, where it is possible to taste the typical “fresa� bread. #$ %#&$'   Bread from Cerchiara, awarded the Pollino National Park brand. This bread, a 3 kilograms loaf, is still soft and tasty after 15 days since its production. &%(($%#()"  Lagane with milk, a homemade pasta flavoured with milk, cinnamon and parsley. The most widespread vegetables are asparagus and chicory. A traditional dish is the licurda, made of eggs and onions or asparagus. Among the sweets: the chillura e pizziculluvo (Easter sweets); cabalette, cicirata, giurgiulina, sanguinaccio and grispelle. ANCIENT JOBS  The manufacturing of artistic ceramics, of loom, of crochet-hook and of lace pillow are still in use. INFORMATION     (a thermal complex set 7 kilometres away from the town): it reminds us of the old legend of the cave of Lusiadi nymphs, where nymph Calypso’s nuptial bed was hidden and preserved. The sulphureous waters of this thermal spring were already known by the Sibarytes.

View Vie w of of Cetr Cetraro aro

CETRARO Cetraro lies on a rocky spur overlooking the Tyrrhenian coast and shows the visitor its nature of rural, commercial and industrial town The ancient and the modern coexist here: the old town centre is rich in ancient buildings, churches, archs and narrow streets; close to the green mountain lies the blue of the sea. HISTORY The origins of this town are very ancient: the first certain news can be dated back to the Middle Age, when it was given to the monks of Montecassino by the duchess Sichelgaita, Robert Guiscard’s second wife. The name probably derives from the Medieval word Citrarium, referring to the production of citron, even though the historians put forward other conflicting theories about the origin of the word. In 1534 Cetraro was attacked by the pirate Khair-ad-Din Barbarossa and many of its inhabitants founded the community of Sant’Angelo during their escape from the invaders, while many others settled in the close villages. During the raid, the shipyard was destroyed and was never built again. In 1806, under the French rule, it became an independent commune and in 1810 the ecclesiastic jurisdiction passed to the Bishop of San Marco. In 1815, with the Bourbon return, the old rule of the Abbey of Montecassino was replaced and in 1834 Cetraro passed definitely to the diocese of San Marco Argentano. Cetraro offers the visitor a lovely town centre, with many works of art housed in its churches and convents and a regular urban planning, alternat-

ing with natural views. The entrance to the town is represented by three gates, having peculiar names: di Mare (sea), di Basso (low) and di Sopra (upper) proving that it was a fortified town. Even the small squares have weird names: a giorgia, the old marketplace, miezzu a curta, at the centre of the old village. MUST SEES       ,   , (main church).   & The Capuchin Church

Tou o ris ristt Port Portt

EVENTS  Feast of -,   (Saint Patron) on 11th July, with the procession by land and by sea.  Procession on Holy Saturday       /)01+  2 on 3th to 5th August.      +  +   , (a tournament among the ditricts of the town), in August. Tower Tow er of Rie er Rienzo nzoo

#$ %#&$'   Citrons, olives, olive oil, asparagous, local wine, fish. &%(($%#()"  Anchovies are never lacking in Cetraro cuisine; The “parmigiana� and the sardines flavoured with mint are delicious. Noteworthy sweets: the chinuli and the turdilli, a very old recipe. ANCIENT JOBS  Traditional cultivation of olives, vineyards and citron trees. The cetrarese navy is thriving.

Old to town wnn cen centre tre



Santa San ta Sev Severi eri rina na (KR (KR), ) old ), o to town wnn cen centre tre


he province of Crotone stretches between the Ionian Sea and the Sila mountains, for 1.716 kmq (the 11% of Calabrian territory) and has 27 communes. The territory of the province is rich in wonderful historic and tourist resorts, like Cirò Marina, Isola di Capo Rizzuto, Le Castella and many others. The hinterland is rich in old town centres, many of which still preserve the old Medieval structure, with castles, towers and churches, like Santa Severina, Cotronei, Petilia Policastro and many others. The mountain territory in the province, part of the Sila National Park, counts tourist resorts among woods, rivers and lakes, among which lake Ampollino. The city of Crotone, chief town of the homonymous province, was founded by the Achaean settlers in 710 B.C. The ancient Kròton expanded its territory along the Calabrian coast, even conquering Sibari and founding the colonies of Scillezio and Caulonia. In the second half of the 6th century B.C. it gave hospitality to the philosopher and mathematician Pythagoras, whose cultural activity made Crotone the most important city of Magna Graecia. In 277 B.C. it was conquered by the Romans and was an important centre in the Middle Age; it became a Byzantine stronghold and a flourishing town under the Normans, who built its walls again and improved the harbour. Today it is a modern city, proud of its glorious past as a city of Magna Graecia.












Silaa Picc Sil Picc iccola ola

Villag Vil laggio gio Pa Palum lumbo bo (KR (KR)), (KR), ) lak lakee Ampo Ampolli llino no


View Vie w of of Cast Castels elsila ilano no

CASTELSILANO The village is set on the state road 107 Cosenza - Crotone and is the last outpost of the province of Crotone, before getting to San Giovanni in Fiore in the province of Cosenza. The town centre lies on a rocky ridge, on a kind of terrace (900 mt. above sea level), overlooking the valley of Neto and the Ionian Sea. Today this village is referred to as Terrazza della Provincia di Crotone (terrace of the province of Crotone). HISTORY Its origin can be dated back to a recent past. In 1685 Scipione Rota, prince of Acheronzia, decided to build a castle, where he could spend his summer days. The peasants and the farmers depending on the feudatories built their houses around this castle. For this reason the village was called Castrum Casini and afterwards Casino. Afterwards it was a hamlet of Cerenzia and followed its vicissitudes until 1806. In 1807 it passed under the rule of San Giovanni in Fiore. It became an independent commune with the name of Casino on 14th August 1811, with a decree by Gioacchino Murat. In 1916 it passed from the province of Cosenza to the province of Catanzaro. The name Casino was changed into Castelsilano in 1950, thanks to a decree of the President of the Italian Republic, Einaudi. Since 1994 it is part of the province of Crotone.

MUST SEES           (  

         5 +

        #   and Padre Pio   that belonged to the prince Rota.  % :/ * ;2, built by the sculptor Giovanni Girimonte.     5    . tion

Church Chu r Ma rch Madon donna don na dellla Cam Campag pagna pag n na

EVENTS       #   %4  (Saint patron), celebrated on November 6 th.           5 + celebrated on the second sunday of August.  #  +    +  /; 0  2 on the second Sunday in August. #$ %#&$'   Very good production of coldmeats, cheese, olive oil, that was awarded the DOP designation.

Mur urralss

&%(($%#()" The pasta china, baked pasta made with meatballs, hard-boiled eggs, salame and caciocavallo cheese. ANCIENT JOBS  Hand and loom manufactures. The art of goldsmith has a great importance, with the production of the Jennacca, a golden necklace made of many small beads.

Church Chu rch of Ma Maria ria SS S . IImma mmacol mma col o ata



Squill Squ il ace ill ac (C (CZ), Z), by byzan zantin tine-n e-norm orman an cas astl tle tle


he province of Catanzaro stretches between the Ionian and the Tyrrhenian coasts, in the narrowest strip of the “Boot”, for 2.391 kmq (the 15,9% of Calabrian territory). The province is made of 80 communes. The territory is the union of Sila mountains, hills and many areas sloping to the sea. Wonderful cliffs and long white beaches characterize the coast of the Gulf of Squillace. Both the Sila National Park and the Sila Piccola are part of this territory. The central position between the two seas gives the tourist the possibility to admire suggestive sunsets on the Tyrrhenian sea, with the Aeolian Islands and the green mountains on the background. The Medieval villages clinging to the mountains are wonderful and still preserve old customs and usages. Catanzaro, chief town of the province, was founded by the Byzantines at the beginning of the 10 th century, as a hill stronghold. In 1059 it was conquered by Robert Guiscard. Its strategic position has favoured commercial exchanges with the Italian regions and with the Oriental countries during the centuries. Art and jobs flourished here, especially silk manufacturing.












Golfo di Sant’Eufemia







Tavern Tav ernaa ((CZ) CZ),, lake lake Pa Passa ssante nte

Belcas Bel cas castro a tro tro ((C (CZ) Z a kee Z) Z), keep p the the swa w bia bian n cast castle lee


V w ooff Bado Vie Bado adolato adolat to

BADOLATO The village lies on a rocky spur between two deep valleys, connected in the coastal plain below. The rough landscape and the natural beauties can be admired by many view points on the road to the Serre tableland and to Brognaturo. HISTORY The foundation of the village can be dated back to the first half of the 10th century, when Robert Guiscard, Earl of Calabria, decided to build a “peaceful village�. Later on, the town became an Angevin possession and belonged to Filippo di Badolato, who stole it from Pietro Ruffo Earl of Catanzaro and whose descendants held it until 1454. It was in possession of the Toraldo family from Tropea until 1578. Afterwards it passed under the control of Pietro Borgia, Prince of Squillace, who gave it to Pier Francesco Ravaschieri in 1596; it finally belonged to the Pinelli family (1692-1779) and to the Pignatelli family from Belmonte (1779-1806). In 1799 Lettore Bonaventura from Badolato and the Capuchins denied freedom to the Republicans. The law of 1811 and the Bourbon law of 1816 made it a chief town of the district, including Isca, S. Caterina and Guardavalle. The earthquake of 1905 and the flood of 1951 forced the inhabitants to leave the town centre and move to the coast. MUST SEES     

  Church of (     .


     1    di Mira               +%+  EVENTS      *%  %  (On 10th and 11th November).  )0 < ; with the traditional Cumprunta, the meeting between risen Christ and the Virgin Mary. ,  ,+ 

: (In July and August), a film festival.  +  5  (on August 15th), a fish festival.

Church Chu rch of SS. Ma Maria ria de degli gli An Angel gelii ge

#$ %#&$'             hard wheat flour. Vegetables, meat (pork, goat and veal) and fish. Very good dairy products and citrus fruits. &%(($%#()"        cuzzupe, the pignolata and the confetti di giuggiulena. The real speciality goods are the mastazzola e vinicottu, doughnouts prepared with flour, must, cloves and cinnamon. ANCIENT JOBS  Hand loom is still used for the manufacturing of covers and wool and silk scarfs. The production of olive oil and wine are well developed. Good production of cereals and fruits. The sheep, ox and goat farm and the production of dairy products are developed.

Villam Vil lam Pi Pietr etr tra a Nera

Chu hurch rch oof Im mmac ma ola olata ta Con C cez cezion ionee


View Vie w of of Borg Borgia ia


Church Chu rch of Sa Sann Giov Giovann annii Batt Battist istaa

Basili Bas iliica c di SS.. Mar Ma iaa della ddellla la Roc Roccel cella la

Chu C hurch of th thee Imma Immacol col oollata t


Borgia is a pleasant village in the province of Catanzaro, set on a plateau between the Ionian Sea and the hills crossed by the Corace river. The town centre is made of high houses, large parallel streets, allowing a regular traffic. The magnificent archaeological park of Scolacium and the uncontaminated sea of Roccelletta represent a good presentation of this beautiful land. HISTORY The original centre of Borgia was called Roccelletta and can be connected to the presence of the Greek Skylletion, the following Roman Scolacium in the site. Later on, some of its inhabitants moved to the mountains and founded the village of Pelagorio. The foundation of the present Borgia can be dated back to 1547, under Giovan Battista Borgia, Prince of Squillace Scolacium, who gave the inhabitants of Pelagorio the possibility to move in a safer place, sheltered from the pirates and not far from the original centre. The inhabitants of Pelagorio founded a new village in the district Ventoliani-Crocelle (referred to as Dirupi by the â&#x20AC;&#x153;borgesiâ&#x20AC;?) and named Borgia the new hamlet. In 1783 the village was almost destroyed by a dreadful earthquake. The new village was founded 1 kilometre west of the old one, in the hamlet Le Crocelle. In 1807 the village passed under the municipality of Squillace, becoming a chief town of the district.

 Church of  


(Cathedral).  Church of (  

 Church of -&   )  (18th - 19th centuries).  %  +    ;, surrounded by age-old olive trees, it was established in 1982 in the district Roccelletta. EVENTS       

 ,   (Saint Patron), celebrated on 24th June.     *      +  5  , (in July and August).   +      

, at Parco di Scolacium (on the first week of September). #$ %#&$'   Very good cheese and cold-meats. In the neighbouring areas there are olive groves, citrus orchards and almond groves &%(($%#()" Dried broad beans, beans and chickpeas alla pignata flavoured with olive oil and spices. Furthermore: the maccaruni, filati con u vrudru (a blade of grass dried in the sun); the stigghiolata prepared with bowels and tripe of kid or sheep; the ndudda, prepared with bowels filled with tripe, tongue and heart; Among the sweets: the cuzzupe, the pittinapiti, the santariaddi, the nicatuli, the scaliaddi, the pignolata and the zeppole.

ANCIENT JOBS  Marble, wood and iron manufacturing and the art of embroidery are MUST SEES   -    &   still in use.

View Vie w of Crop Cropani ani

CROPANI It lies on gentle slopes between the Ionian Sea and the Sila Greca. It boasts a Romanesque Cathedral, from where it is possible to admire the hills sloping to the sea. HISTORY The name Cropani derives from the Greek word Kropòs, meaning â&#x20AC;&#x153;rich fertile landâ&#x20AC;?. Its origin are uncertain. Padre Giovanni Fiore, a historian from Cropani, narrates that in the year 831 A.D. some Venetian refugees coming from Alexandria and taking the mortal remains of St. Mark the Evangelist, were shipwrecked on the beach near Cropani, after a violent sea-storm. The local population offered a warm welcome and took care of them. The Venetians left a relic of the Patron Saint of Venice (a small piece of knecap of the right knee) before leaving as a token of gratitude for their hospitality. Such relic is kept into a golden urn in the Cathedral of Assunta with a document stating that the Cropenesi were given the citizenship of Dominio Veneto, then riconfirmed by the Senato della Serenissima. Other sources suggest a Byzantine origin, dating from the 6th century. During the second half of the 11th century the Normans settled here, followed by many other populations. In the Middle Age the village was part of Belcastro county; afterwards, in 1224 it passed from Landolfo dâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;Aquino to Giovanni dâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;Amato; it belonged to the Ruffo family and in 1460 to the Sanseverino family from Naples. During the 16th and 17th centuries many other feudatories, like the Sersale, the Ferrari, the

Ravaschieri and the de Fiore families, had Cropani among their possessions. In 1783 the town was damaged by a terrible earthquake. In 1811 it became a commune. MUST SEES  Church of Santa Maria Assunta  Church of Santa Caterina dâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;Alessandria   -



  -  "


  -   % +       55  and the)     

   4 dating from the 17th century.

Cathed Cat hedral ral ma main in doo doorr

EVENTS     4  !(Saint Patron) celebrated on 20th January.  La   , connected with Easter rite. Estate cropanese (in July and August). #$ %#&$'  Olive oil, chestnuts and mushrooms.

Chuurch of Sa Ch S nta Santa ntt Maria Maria As Assun sun unta t ta

&%(($%#()" The mparrettati, homemade pasta; veal and pork stew, tomato tripe and snails (virdeddji). Very good cold-meats and cheese. Among the sweets: the pittanchiusa and the cuzzupe. ANCIENT JOBS Hand loom and pillow lace manufacures; beautiful laces and embroideries. There are many painters, sculptors, joiners and blacksmiths.

Chhu Chu h rch ch of Sa S nta Lucia Lucia



Viboo Vale Vib Vale alenti ntia, nti a, nor norman man-sw man -swabi -sw abi b an cas asstle le


he province of Vibo Valentia has 50 communes and stretches for 1.139 square kilometres (the 7,6% of the Calabria territory), lying in the deep south, near the strait separating Calabria from Sicily. It is set between the Tyrrhenian Sea and the mountains of Sila Piccola. There are many charming resorts facing the sea, like Pizzo, Tropea, Capo Vaticano, Briatico, Zambrone, Parghelia and Nicotera. The blue sea is the protagonist, but even the hinterland has appealing spots, with the massif of Serre, thick woods of conifers, age-old trees of beech, crystal clear streams, huge valleys and luxuriant tablelands. Taking a glance at South it is even possible to see mount Etna in Sicily. The main attraction is the sea, but it is even a nice experience walking through churches, castles and towers or appreciating the local handicraft and tasting the enogastronomic products. Vibo Valentia (the ancient Hipponion), chief town of the homonymous province, was founded by the Greeks coming from Locri Epizefiri on a preexistent Italic settlement. It gained a great importance during the 5 th century B.C. and was able to defeat Locri itself in 442 B.C. It was then defeated and destroyed by Dioniso il Vecchio from Siracusa. It was built again in 379 B.C. by the Cartahginians and passed under the Greek and Bruttian rule until when in 192 B.C. it became a Roman colony. It was a Byzantine stronghold, destroyed by the Arabs during the 9 th and 10 th centuries and totaly rebuilt by the Swabians in 1325. Vibo Valentia still preserves the structure of the Medieval village in the old town centre, with its monumental tuff palaces. In the streets surrounding the town centre as a spider-web, architecture mixes with art, creating a wonderful atmosphere. The main road divides the city in two parts and climbs the hill, with the castle built by Roger II in the year 1000 dominating the town.











Cap Cap apoo Vati atican can no

      !  !  !   ! 

   "  "#  #  #  


View Vie w of of Aren na

ARENA A rural village on the Tyrrhenian side of the Serre, set on a hill at 496 metres above sea level along the torrent Marepotamo. It is a lovely village surrounded by chestnut and beech woods, rich in history and arts. HISTORY It was a municipium romanae and at the time of the Punic Wars it was a garrison with the name of Castrum Arenense. Roger II gave the Terrae Arenarum to his natural son Ruggero Culchebert. In the lands of Arena, given to Bruno di Colonia degli Hortenfaust by Ruggero I, the Certosa di Serra San Bruno was built. The feud was held by the Acquaviva di Aragona family and by the Earls of Dâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;Atri and Caracciolo. It was an important centre for the production of silk and woods. It was known as Universitas under the Aragonese reign and governed a huge territory, stretching from the Ionian to the Tyrrhenian sea, of which it was the chief town. The old town centre is a museum. The lacking of building areas originated the first centre around the castle. For the will of Frederick II, a community of Jews settled in the picturesque â&#x20AC;&#x153;Via Giudeccaâ&#x20AC;?, in the lower side of the village, introducing the art of tanning and dyeing. The old town centre is a web of lanes and steps and stops in the highest part of the village, in the campanaro district, where there was a watch tower in the past. From every corner of the village it is possible to have a wonderful view and admire the strait of Messina, the coast of Paola and even the Aeolian Islands when the sky is clear.

MUST SEES  Castle (ruins) built during the Norman domination (11th century), it was rebuilt during the 14th - 15th centuries.   -   #      -   .    

dellâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;Addolorata  Church of San Teodoro  %     (municipal). EVENTS     -   .  celebrated on the first Sunday of August.       % +  on the first Sunday of September.   on Easter Monday.  Feast of San Rocco (Saint patron), on the second Sunday of October.   +   %+?    3 55 !       /    5  2!       !    -

Norman Nor man ca castl stlee

Church Chu rc of SS rch SS.. Mari Maria a dell dellee Graz Grazie ie

#$ %#&$'   Good production of cheese, olives, olive oil, vegetables and wine. &%(($%#()" The Maccarruna, home-made pasta with beans or chickpeas flavoured with pork meat and wild boar sauce. Among the sweets: the zeppole, taralli, chiacchere nacatuli. ANCIENT JOBS  Agriculture, sheep farming, production of cheese and cold-meats.

Church Chu rch off SS SS.. Mari aria a dell delle ellle Graz Graz r ie i


Tower Tow er La Roc Rocche chetta tta


Cliff Cli ff of Bri Briati atico ati co

B ati Bri tico ti co o Vec ecch chia chi

Chh rchh of Sa Chu Sann Nico Nicola icola a ddii Bar Bari ari


A famous seaside resort lying on the cliffs of the Costa degli Dei. It was destroyed by the terrible earthquake of 1783. Just the ruins of the Medieval Castle built by Ferdinando Bisbal still remain in Briatico Vecchia, the ancient town. HISTORY This village has very ancient origins, indeed in its territory many prehistoric relics were discovered, like terracotta, flint and obsidian tools and human remains. Even Roman necropolis and ruins of a building (maybe a Roman thermal bath) dating to the Imperial age were found here. There are some Medieval hermitic caves, some of which called Grotte delle fate (fairy caves). During the feudal and Medieval ages it had many Lords: it belonged to Nicolò de Traina, to Adamo de Elmis, to the Leone family from Reggio, to the Ruffo family from Catanzaro and to Montalto until 1496, when it passed in the hands of the Spanish family of Castro Bisbal. During the years it was hit by terribles earthquakes: in 1638, in 1659 and in 1783, this one forcing the inhabitants to build the town centre again in a different place, where the present Briatico is set. MUST SEES      (mother church) datig to the end of the 18th century.   -   % +           

       .    %

   #   +       5  Briatico Vecchia ruins of the ancient Briatico and of the Medieval castle. &   ruins of the tower of the 16th century, close to the beach. EVENTS  (on Easter Sunday).     ,  (Saint patron), celebrated on 6th.December.         on 16th July with a sea procession.        on 2th April.  @  

(a home-made pasta) in August. #$ %#&$'  Many varieties of fish from the clear Tyrrhenian sea. &%(($%#()"  Dishes prepared with fish, like soups, barbecued tuna and the surici fritti (fried pearly razorfish). To taste: maccarruni ca suriaca (maccheroni with beans), the pitta filata (bread dough with oil and cucco, an aromatic herb). Among the sweets: the pie (puff pastry stuffed with raisins, almonds, walnuts and vino cotto). The pignolata and the ravioli, the zippule (dough with raisins and sufgar) and the curuicchi (fried dough). ANCIENT JOBS  The cultivation of the famous red onion of Tropea is widespread. Many fishermen still teach the ancient techniques, practiced by their ancestors.

1 Vieew of of Fabr Fabr a izi izia a

%,&(3(% It is a village set in the Appenine mountains of â&#x20AC;&#x153;Serre Calabreâ&#x20AC;?, lying on a inlet close to two mountain ranges, Mount Pecoraro eastwards and Mount Crocco westwards. It is surrounded by many torrents that eroded the large number of valleys around the inhabited centre. The small town is immersed in the green of vaste woods, contrasting with the blue of the Ionian Sea in the distance. HISTORY The small village was founded after the inhabitants of Castelvetere (Caulonia) and Roccella moved here. The name derives from Fabrizio Carafa, Marquis of Castelvetere, who built here his summer residence. The noble family wanted the building of the â&#x20AC;&#x153;Cappella del Rosarioâ&#x20AC;?. The violent earthquake of 1783 destroyed the inhabited centre. The village rose again thanks to the â&#x20AC;&#x153;Regie Ferriereâ&#x20AC;? (weapons factory) built during the Bourbon reign and developed by the French.

MUST SEES   -%  

      &   Palaces in the village. EVENTS  Feast of Santâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;Antonio (Saint patron), celebrated in June. Devotion is shown through the tridicina, the pilgrimage during the thirteeen days preceding the feast. During these days many rites are celebrated, like li

virginiadhi and li rachatiadhi. Li rachatiadhi: as soon as the pilgrim reaches the church main door, he kneels and si racha (he crawls) up to the statue, set at the foot of the altars, and he repeats this rite for thirteen times. Li virginiadhi is the rite through which the faithfuls thank St. Antonio for the grace received. It is celebrated with a banquet made of thirteen table-companions: unmarried girls (li virginiadhi) and two unmarried boys (li bambiniadhi). Thirteen different dishes are prepared and tasted by the table-companions. Lunch ends with the offer of a home-made cake, lu biscuattu, to the guests. The landlady offers this cake kneeling on the threshold of her house.           in August.          &  celebrated in September. 3 55  

 #$ %#&$'   Many vegetables, cold-meats and cheese. In the surrounding country the fragulara grape (variety of isabella) is cultivated. Delicious fragolino wine and liqueurs prepared with wild strawberries.

Old to town wn cen centre tre

Chrch Chr ch of S. Mar Maria ia del delle le Gra Grazie zie

&%(($%#()"  Home-made pasta with porcini mushrooms or beans; potatoes and peppers fried in olive oil; porcini mushrooms with pigâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s jawl. ANCIENT JOBS In the village wood and iron handicrafts are still practiced.

Chrch Chr ch of S. Mar Maria iaa del delle le Gra Grazie zie


Reggio Reg gio di di Ca Calab labria ria,, Cath Catthedr edral edr al



he province of Reggio Calabria is a huge mountain that seems to be caressed by the sea: it stretches from the Tyrrhenian coast to the Ionian and Mediterranean Seas and includes the southern side of the region. The mountain range of Aspromonte rises from the blue sea, overlooking most of the territory, with the National Park as a guardian of its woods, rivers and streams flowing down to the valley, suggestive waterfalls, lakes and noisy torrents. The small villages of the hinterland have a historical and artistic importance, like Gerace, Stilo, Roghudi, Palizzi and Pentedattilo. The Tyrrhenian side is characterized by the indented Costa Viola, with its famous tourist resorts, like Palmi, Seminara, Bagnara, Scilla and by the presence of Mount Sant’Elia, from where it is possible to have a wonderful view. On the other side, on the Ionian Sea, there is the Riviera dei Gelsomini, whose name is owed to the cultivation of jasmines, with many tourist resorts like Monasterace, Riace, Roccella Jonica, Locri, Bianco and Brancaleone. The province of Reggio Calabria was a land of berthing and transit and today is a melting-pot of different cultures and traditions, with its thousands of dilaects. Reggio Calabria is the chief town of the province and was founded to control the traffic of ships in the Strait. Its first name was Rhegion and was founded in the 8 th century B.C by Greek settlers from Chalcis and Euboea and by the Messenians. Under the Byzantine reign the city went through a golden age. The witnesses of Greek, Roman, Norman, Aragonese, Spanish, Austrian and French culture are still evident. This legendary city lies at the tip of the “Boot”, at the foot of Aspromonte, on the western side of the Stretto di Messina, in a strategic position around its wonderful promenade.


















Bagnar Bag naraa Cala Calabra bra (R (RC), C), be beach ach

Scilla Sci lla (R (RC) (RC), C) St C), Stret retto to di Mes Messin sina a


View Vie w of Bova

BOVA Bova is one of the most important Grecanic villages in the province of Reggio Calabria, offering the visitor its natural beauties and its mythical origins; the legend tells about an Armenian queen who lead her people on mount VĂša, whose name means â&#x20AC;&#x153;grazing land for oxenâ&#x20AC;? originating Bova. HISTORY The origins of the village can be dated back to the 7th - 6th centuries B.C. when the Greek settlers coming from Locride subjugated the Ausoni tribe, who lived in the caves since the Neolithic Age. In the 5th century it was the episcopal seat and was a feud belonging to the bishops of Reggio. In 829 the Saracen invasions forced the survivors to leave the coast and the country and to take refuge on the mountains. The Byzantine colonization date to the 9th and 10th centuries and its influence is still clear in the old Greek dialect spoken by most of the population. With the Norman invasion (1040-60) a castle was built, in order to control the territory. In 1572 the Greek Orthodox rite was replaced by the Roman one thanks to the Bishop Stauriano. Bova became a county governed by the Archibishop of Reggio until 1806. MUST SEES Cathedreal of Madonna della Presentazione or #

Church of San Leo (17th century).     (17th century). Church of San Rocco (16th century).

  ..  > .. 

  (11th century).    (ruins)!10th - 11th centuries. EVENTS  Feast of San Leo (Saint patron) on 5th May.   ? ,   1 +     % ! of San Leo and of San Rocco on 15th , 16th and 17th August.   

   W.  (in August), a cultural event about ethnic music.

Bova, Bov a, vie view w of of moun moun nt Etna a

#$ %#&$'   Fresh and seasoned cheese, made of sheep or goat milk, like the musulupi, a stringy cheese. Very good cold-meats. &%(($%#()" curcudia, polenta with milk; the maccheroni flavoured with goat meat sauce, goat meat soup and the pitte with ricotta cheese. The lestopitta (pancake prepared with flour and water), the caratonfolo (purple truffle) and the ascadia (baked prickly pears). ANCIENT JOBS         a strong Grecanic influence expressed in the so called â&#x20AC;&#x153;shepherds artâ&#x20AC;?. During their long stay on the mountains they make many objects, from olive and orange wood, with recurring symbols, like the sun, the moon, the bird. The weavers make covers, carpets and towels using wool, flax and broom with images of the Virgin Mary and of the Saints, that can be admired in the Byzantine churches. The Greek cross is always present.

Old to town wn cen centre tre r

Op O Ope pen Air Museum Museum Mus m, â&#x20AC;&#x153;Ste Steam a Tra am Trainâ&#x20AC;? i inâ&#x20AC;?


View Vie w of of Gera Gera race ce

"&% " This village lies on a rocky spur, â&#x20AC;&#x153;on the cliff where the sparrow-hawck alighted onâ&#x20AC;? as the legend goes; it offers the visitor its artistic and historical beauties and its panoramic views. Oldd town town w cen e tre en t

Church Chu rch of SSan Giov Giovann iov ovann an ell lloo

Alley All ey in Old O Town Townn



       Monserrato built in 1636.         Santa Maria del Mastro    (ruins), dating to 11th century.

HISTORY The name derives from the Greek word HiĂŠrax, meaning â&#x20AC;&#x153;sparrow-hawckâ&#x20AC;?, reminding the legendary bird of prey that could have shown the place for the new foundation of the city to the Locresi to defend against the Saracen invasions. The city was founded around the 9th century by the Locresi refugees and was sacked many times by the Saracens, who had defeated the Byzantines at the foot of the mountain in 952. In 1059 it passed under the Norman reign with Robert Guiscard and it went through a period of prosperity. In spite of the pre-Roman policy of the Normans, the Greek-Orthodox rite was abolished only in 1480. Afterwards the village belonged to many feuds, like the Caracciolo and the Grimaldi families.

EVENTS            Prestarona, a feast with a cattle and craftmade items fair, celebrated on the first Sunday after Easter.         D, on the first Sunday in July.        1    celebrated on 22th and 23th August, with the traditional â&#x20AC;&#x153;ballo del cavalluccioâ&#x20AC;?. ,+(   it is a street artists international festival, attracting artists from all over the world. It is performed at the end of July.

MUST SEES    , probably consacreted in 1045. It is in RomanesqueNorman style, with a latin-cross plan and divided in three naves by raws of columns, perhaps coming from Locri.          Francesco dâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;Assisi probably built at the end of the 13 th century.       

  built between the 11th and 12th centuries.  *% (a monastic complex).    + 

&%(($%#()" The pasta filata a manu (home-made pasta) flavoured with pork-meat sauce, meatballs made of pork meat, tripe with potatoes and pankcakes prepared with pumpink flowers. Typical sweets: the rafioli, prepared with sponge cake and topped off with white cream

#$ %#&$'  The famous wine â&#x20AC;&#x153;Greco di Geraceâ&#x20AC;? is always served with the â&#x20AC;&#x153;geracesiâ&#x20AC;? dishes. Very good cold-meats and fresh and seasoned cheese, the mbite olives and olive oil.

ANCIENT JOBS Potters still work clay in their workshops, with the same passion and love of the ancient times.

View Vie w of of Locr Locr ocrii


LOCRI It is a village on the Calabrian Ionian coast, a modern centre with developed industrial and craftmade assets. In the past it was a Greek colony, showing the visitor its history through the remains of the ancient Locri Epizefiri. HISTORY The city originated in the 7th century B.C. with the arrival of the Locresi Ozolii (coming from the Corinth Canal) or Locresi Opunzii (coming from the Gulf of Euboea) at Capo Zefiro (the present Capo Bruzzato), who moved northward founding Locri Epizefiri;they exercised their own customs here, like the matriarchy and the Jerodulia (sacred prostitution). Locri is well known for its social organization and for the juridical text issued by Zaleuco, containing rules regulating the different ethnic groups of the town. The village was the birthplace of illustrious personalities: the poetess Nosside, who lived in the 3th century B.C. and wrote beautuiful verses; Timeo, judge and teacher of Plato; Senocrito, a musician and lyric poet, Eutimo, winner of the Olympic games for two times; Agesidamo, a boxer mentioned by Pindaro in the 10th and 11th â&#x20AC;&#x153;Olympian Odesâ&#x20AC;?. It struggled against the cities of Reghion and Kroton. This last one was defeated by the Locresi in 530 B.C. in the legendary battle near the river Sagras (the present river Allaro). It was a Roman ally in 283 B.C. and was involved in the war against Pyrrhus, supporting both the rivals. For this reason Pyrrhus sacked it and even destroyed the famous temple of Persefone, as Livy narrates in his

work. At the time of the Second Punic War it was controlled by the Romans, except for the years between 216-205 B.C., when it was besieged by the Carthaginians lead by Hannibal, who was then expelled by Scipio Africanus. MUST SEES        (1843).    , +(1908).    , in the district MarasĂ , housing relics coming from 2 the archaeological site.  5  6and the whole archeaological area of the ancient Locri Epizephiri.

T mpio Tem p di di M Maaras rasĂ assĂ 

EVENTS   (   , on the first Sunday in August and on 8th December.     5 (in November).  &  +            

      (in August) classical theatre and ethnic music festivals performed in the â&#x20AC;&#x153;Tempio di MarasĂ â&#x20AC;?. Pinnakees

#$ %#&$'   Very good cheese, sheep, ox and goat meat; hot cold-meats. In the areas near the sea, large cultivations of olive groves and citrus plantations. &%(($%#()" Home-made pasta with goat-meat sauce or with pork meatballs; the stocco e patate (cod and potatoes), stuffed aubergines and anchovies. ANCIENT JOBS  Manufacture of ceramics is very important, as the production of pinakes, old oil lamps and amphoras with a head.

Mo ume Mon ment nt to Nos Nossid sid side ide




Ancient Villages of Calabria  

La pubblicazione Antichi Borghi di Calabria è una valida guida che, vuole proporre al turista accorto una serie di affascinanti itinerari, p...

Ancient Villages of Calabria  

La pubblicazione Antichi Borghi di Calabria è una valida guida che, vuole proporre al turista accorto una serie di affascinanti itinerari, p...