Greenhouse for the Good
Group Members Jillian Schmidt
Mission and Vision Mission: Build a starter greenhouse on campus, provide produce to support organizations that are helping fight food insecurity and start a program that could be expanded upon for years to come.
Vision: The starter greenhouse project will expand to establish a more permanent structure, increase output of produce, increase involvement of individuals (staff, students, and community), and ultimately help more people.
â€œPlan for longevity.â€? -Melanie Knowles, Sustainability Manager, Facilities Planning and Operations
Who Who would have interest in maintaining the garden? ? ● Organizations ○ Environmental Conservation Group ○ Campus Kitchen ○ Kent State Environment Society ○ Greek organizations (service)
Who will benefit from this greenhouse? ● Campus Kitchen ● Food Banks ● Food Insecure Families
Where would we establish the garden?
How would we establish the garden?
Comparison to other universities Dominican University - May 2011 - community garden ○ Involves faculty, staff, students, community members and children ○ Volunteers take food they need and rest donated to local food pantry
● Cleveland State University
- Summer of 2009 - rooftop garden
○ Gained awareness with bake sales/ spaghetti dinners ○ Foundations paid for half, CSU paid for other half
Figures estimated from Lowe’s
website and Greenhousemegastore.com
● 6 ft x 8 ft hobby greenhouse - $599
● 72 11.7 in x 11.7 in concrete pavers - $112.32 (Lowe’s)
● Three plant racks - $300 (Lowe’s) ● 500 quarts of soil - $130 (Lowe’s)
Vegetable seed packets - $0.25 per pack or harvested from food products
25 pots - $250 (Lowe’s)
Garden shovels - $7.98 each (Lowe’s)
2-gallon watering cans - $4.98 each (Lowe’s)
Electrical wiring - $196.85-$251.60
● Heater - $109 (greenhousemegastore.com) ● 50-gallon rain barrel - $164.05 (Lowe’s)
Whatâ€™s Next? The next steps Herrick Conservatory and Sustainability Club Publicity campaign Fundraising
Goals Successful starter greenhouse project Dependable volunteer maintenance program Expand project