Page 1

Department of Student Life Kennesaw State University











What we learn to do, we learn by doing. ~ Thomas Jefferson 2 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

SECTION 1: THE DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE There are four distinct units within the Department of Student Life: Student Involvement, Fraternity & Sorority Life, Student Media and Operations. All the units work collaboratively to fulfill the mission of the department and of Kennesaw State University (hereinafter referred to as KSU).

Department of Student Life Mission

The Department of Student Life‘s mission is to foster holistic student development, promote personal growth, provide diverse opportunities and empower students through experiential education, leadership development, relationshipbuilding, and civic engagement.

Department of Student Life Staff Kathy Alday, Director Student Center 274 770/423-6290 Ed Bonza, Associate Director KSU Student Media Advisor 770/499-3083 C. Bernard McCrary, Assistant Director of Student Involvement (678) 797-2194 Jennifer Morales, Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Life (770) 499-3081 Janice Malone, Administrative Specialist for Reservations (770) 499-3163 Buck Harris, Business Manager (770) 423-6015

Lauryn Johnson, Student Involvement Coordinator (678) 797-2487 Stephen Dominy, Coordinator, Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life (770) 794- 7841 Jennifer Messer, Student Reservations Coordinator (678) 797-2128 Amie Mowrey, Student Media Marketing Manager (770) 423-6265 Andrew Harvil, Program Coordinator, Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life (770) 499-3474 Cat Coulmas, Office Manager (770) 423-6280 770/423-6280


Jurisdiction Over Student Organizations

1. The Director of The Department of Student Life exercises jurisdiction over all units of the Department of Student Life: Fraternity & Sorority Life, Student Involvement, and Student Media. 2. The Associate Director of the Department of Student Life exercises jurisdiction over all Student Media organizations (The Sentinel, The Talon, Share Magazine, and Owl Radio, and any other student media organizations recognized by SABAC and the Student Media Board). 3. The Assistant Director for Student Involvement in the Department of Student Life exercises jurisdiction over all student organizations. 4. The Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Life in the Department of Student Life exercises jurisdiction over all Fraternities, Sororities, and Greek Councils (Specific Fraternity & Sorority Chapter and Council Guidelines are outlined in the Presidents’ Manual published annually by the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life). General Duties of the Department of Student Life Relevant to Student Organizations The Department of Student Life shall: 1. Enforce all university regulations and administrative rules relating to organizations; 2. Investigate allegations that an organization has violated a university regulation or administrative policy 3. Review applications, enrollment status, officer eligibility, rules, bylaws, and constitutions of all organizations that apply for registration on campus.


Student Organizations are important! Organizations at Kennesaw State University actively participate in and contribute to a vibrant university community. The more than 200 organizations at KSU provide invaluable experiences and opportunities for students to grow as individuals, leaders, and community members. The debates, social and cultural events, lectures, and many other activities organized by organizations contribute to making Kennesaw State a very dynamic and exciting place. The Department of Student Life works to be proactive in guiding organizations by providing education, training, and consultation. Student Organizations and the Department of Student Life exist as partners in the university community. The staff in the Department of Student Life strives to be facilitators to student organizations by defining appropriate boundaries, sharing information, and assisting in the decision-making process. We work to help RSOs appropriately manage their risk and achieve their goals. Additionally, student organizations add an important component to campus life at KSU by providing an outlet for the student voice to be heard and a vehicle for students to have a substantial impact on campus. Secondly, students gain valuable experience in the practical aspects of leadership, communication, risk management, and teamwork. Finally, it is our experience that students who are involved on campus are more likely to be successful in college and to gain more from their time at KSU.

Benefits for Student Organizations

Being part of an organization at Kennesaw State University has many benefits. Student organizations have the privilege of using on-campus facilities, copies, mailboxes, banners, accessing student activity funds, sponsoring speakers and public performances, and distributing literature to recruit potential members. One of the most important benefits is access to the staff in the Department of Student Life for assistance in program planning, risk management, conflict resolution, fund raising, or other issues related to your organization.

Types of Student Organizations

Students who have a special interest in a certain area and want to form a group for others who are interested in that particular area can create organizations. At KSU, organizations fall into the following categories: 4 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

Academic Communication/Media Fraternity/Sorority Faith-based/Spiritual Graduate Honorary Military Multicultural Global Performance/Fine Arts Political/Social Action Pre-professional Special Interest

Certified Student Organizations*

(hereinafter referred to as CSOs) *please note that the new CSO designation will go into full effect in January 2013. CSOs fall into the same categories as listed previously; however, CSOs are organizations that have received specific training and instruction that enables them to access university funding and reserve space on campus. There will be a number of opportunities to receive the training and instruction during fall 2012, so please make sure to read communications from the Department of Student Life about these sessions.

Line-Item Organizations

Line-item organizations are those organizations that are open to all students on campus, and that have regular annual operating budgets. It is the obligation of these organizations to provide programming in the way of entertainment and education for all KSU students. At KSU, line-item organizations are: AASA: African-American Student Alliance GS: Global Society GSA: Graduate Student Association ISA: International Student Association KAB: Kennesaw Activities Board KSUSM: Kennesaw State University Student Media SGA: Student Government Association Each of the line-item organizations has an office in the Carmichael Student Center (Building 5). Please visit them for more information.

To function as a part of the University as student organizations must:

• Have successfully been approved by SABAC • Managed and run by currently enrolled KSU students • Attend the Organization Leadership Conferences, one prior to fall semester and one at the beginning of spring semester. Organizations that fail to send at least two representatives to these meetings or who fail provide representation at a substitute training sponsored by the Department of Student Life will be deemed inactive or placed on a provisional status until all requirements for active status have been met. • Participate in training as required by the Department of Student Life

Responsibilities OF Student Organizations

• Exhibit and support the mission of KSU and the Division of Student Success. • Abide by all Department of Student Life and KSU policies and procedures as well as all federal, state and local laws. • Conduct membership recruitment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income or military status. STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 5

• Maintain a minimum of three (3) KSU student members at all times; all members must be currently enrolled. Faculty/ Staff Advisors do not satisfy student membership requirements in most cases. • Maintain a full-time faculty or staff member as the Advisor. • Attend mandatory meetings and complete the required registration or renewal application annually. • Update the Department of Student Life with changes such as: rosters, contact information, officers, authorized signatures, election reports, constitutions, etc. • Work with the Department of Student Life Business Manager to ensure timely payment of all expenses incurred by the group. • Be good stewards of all facilities, student activity fees, campus resources and services provided on behalf of the organization (i.e. audio/visual equipment, cubicles, student offices, etc.). • Have a great time!

Privileges Extended to student organizations

• Approved use of campus facilities for organization sponsored meetings and activities • Access to Student Activity Fee funds from the Department of Student Life or SABAC) • Eligibility to request use of University services and vehicles (please note that only faculty and staff members may drive university vehicles); and • Use of a KSU campus address for mail distribution When an organization becomes registered, it accepts the responsibility of adhering not only to federal and state laws, but to University regulations as well. All organizations are subject to the Student Code of Conduct of Kennesaw State University, and the standards set by the Department of Student Life. The Vice President for Student Success, or designee, may place any organization on a probationary or inactive status if the organization fails to comply with its stated purpose, the Student Code of Conduct, University policy, Board of Regents policy, Department of Student Life policy, or fails to submit an updated registration packet to the Department of Student Life by the initial or extended deadline.

Designate Representatives from your organization to the Department of Student Life

As a student organization, you will need to designate the member(s) who are authorized to do business on behalf of your organization on the Officer Sheet as part of the Renewal Application. Only the students/advisors who are listed as Officers/Authorized Representatives may conduct university business for your organization. Examples of university business include the ability to make room reservations, schedule outdoor events, reserve table or banner space, and conduct other official business for the organization. Each organization will be responsible for selecting a primary contact for portal management, space requests, petty cash and funding requests.

Renew Organization Information Annually

Renew your organization status annually with the Department of Student Life by registering contact information for all officers and advisors, and completing documents related to non-discrimination, hazing, and alcohol policies. Fraternities and sororities must provide this updated information annually to the Assistant Director of the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life (hereinafter referred to as OFSL). Organizations must renew registered status every year. Every fall semester the Department of Student Life will schedule a mandatory Student Organization Meeting in August to educate new and returning officers on current department and university policies and standards. Important notices and dates will be shared with all meeting attendees including registration renewal deadlines. Application forms may be accessed online at in the “forms” section. Your organization will be deemed inactive if it is unable to successfully re-register by the Fall or extended deadline. No exceptions.

Student Organization Award Opportunities: The Golden O’s

The Department of Student Life hosts the Golden O’s Student Activity Awards each Spring to recognize outstanding organizations and individuals. Because all organizations are welcome to apply, a Student Activity Award is one of the highest honors an organization can receive at KSU. The awards are given in over ten organizational categories. All 6 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

organizations at KSU in good standing with the Department of Student Life are eligible to apply. Student organizations may self-nominate for any applicable categories. Separate applications for exist for each award category and the special awards have additional questions. If you are uncertain about the category, look closely at the questions specific to that category. When reviewing your application, the Award Selection Committee will only consider those activities your organization participated in, that fulfill the organization’s mission statement, and the scope of the category. The Department of Student Life supports the concept of doing what you can with what you have. Organizations with small memberships and few financial resources will not be penalized when compared to larger organizations with more financial resources in the same category. Applications for the Golden O’s Student Activity Awards are available in spring semester and are typically due mid-March. Winners will be announced in a ceremony during the annual event in April.

SECTION 3: STUDENT ORGANIZATION POLICIES & REGULATIONS Students who want to be involved in organizations must meet the following standards and follow these policies: I. Eligibility for Individual Participation/Officer Standards. For student activity purposes the cumulative GPA is used to determine eligibility, unless organizations have designated the adjusted GPA as determination for eligibility. A. Membership in student organizations will be limited to currently enrolled Kennesaw State students who meet all qualifications outlined in this section. B. All registered students are eligible to participate in co-curricular activities during each semester for which they are enrolled in classes and have paid fees. C. In order to qualify for office, hold office, or receive a SABAC funded stipend in any RSO, a student must minimally: 1. Have a minimum 2.3 Cumulative GPA to be elected and maintain at least a 2.3 Cumulative GPA while holding office and/or receiving payment. If an organization officer’s GPA falls below 2.3, the organization will be encouraged to hold a special officer election in accordance to their current organization constitution, or designate an eligible student to fulfill the duties of that office for the remainder of the term or until the cumulative GPA has been raised to a 2.3 (or higher). 2. Be enrolled for a minimum of six degree credit hours per semester for undergraduate or 3 degree credit hours for graduate students while participating in the organization and/or holding office. 3. Students who withdraw from classes during the semester or drop below six credit hours are immediately ineligible to receive a stipend, hold office, or run for office in an organization. It is the student’s responsibility to inform his/her advisor of a change in status. 4. Students traveling with simulation teams or academic competitive teams representing KSU are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.3. If the cumulative GPA drops below 2.3, he/she will not be eligible to travel and compete with the team until the cumulative GPA has been raised to 2.3 or higher. Advisors shall check the eligibility of students at the beginning of each semester. 5. Because many students choose not to register for summer semester, students who are officers may continue to function in that capacity during the summer even though they are not enrolled, as long as they are registered for the upcoming fall semester. Students in organizations that pay stipends may only receive their summer stipends if they are enrolled for the summer term in which they hold an office. 6. These policies are minimum standards and any organization may set higher standards for participation and/or leadership. Failure by students or organizations to meet these regulations shall terminate the organization’s privileges to operate on the University campus, utilize campus facilities, or receive monies from student activity fees. 7. Officers of organizations and paid student staff members must be registered and maintain at least a 2.3 Cumulative GPA. In order to validate this and other information, your organization’s advisor must check your GPA and KSU ID number, and class enrollment status. KSU advisors may check this information for RSO eligibility standards.

KSU Student Media Policy

Student media and the student press are valuable aids in establishing and maintaining an atmosphere of free and responsible discussion and of intellectual exploration on the campus. They are a means of bringing student concerns to the attention of the faculty and institutional authorities and of formulating opinions on various issues on the campus and in the world at large. In response to the editorial responsibility of students, the university must provide sufficient editorial freedom and STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 7

sufficient financial autonomy for the student media to maintain their integrity of purpose as vehicles for free inquiry and free expression in an academic community. Kennesaw State University Student Media are designated public forums. Student editors and managers have the authority to make all content decisions without censorship or advance approval. Institutional authorities, in consultation with students and faculty, have a responsibility to provide written clarification of the role of student media/publications, the standards to be used in their evaluation, and the limitations on external control of their operation. At the same time, the editorial freedom of student editors and managers entail corollary responsibilities to be governed by the canons of responsible journalism, such as avoidance of libel, indecency, undocumented allegations, attacks on personal integrity, and the techniques of harassment and innuendo. As safeguards for the editorial freedom of student media, the following provisions are necessary: I. The student press should be free of censorship and advance approval of copy, and its editors and managers should be free to develop their own editorial policies and news coverage. II. Editors and managers of student media should be protected from arbitrary suspension and removal because of student, faculty, administration or public disapproval of editorial policy or content. Only for proper and stated causes should editors and managers be subject to removal and then by orderly and prescribed procedures. The agency responsible for the appointment of editors should be the agency responsible for their removal. III. All college published, broadcast and financed student media should explicitly state on the editorial page and broadcasts that opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Kennesaw State University or the student body. For complete policies concerning KSU Student Media, contact the Associate Director of the Department of Student Life at (770) 499-3083.

Hazing Policy

Disruption of Campus Life It is the purpose of the institution to provide a campus environment that encourages academic accomplishment, personal growth, and a spirit of understanding and cooperation. An important part of maintaining such an environment is the commitment to protect the health and safety of every member of the campus community. In order to promote these goals, students should be familiar with and abide by the rules against disruption of campus life. 1. Policy Statement – Hazing in any form is prohibited at Kennesaw State University. Kennesaw State University is committed to providing a safe learning environment that supports the dignity of all University community members. Hazing is a violation of state law and is strictly prohibited by Kennesaw State University both on and off campus. Violation of this policy may result in both disciplinary action and criminal charges. 2. Definition – “Hazing” means any intentional, negligent or reckless action, activity or situation that endangers or is likely to endanger the physical health of an individual or causes an individual pain, embarrassment, ridicule or harassment as a condition or precondition of gaining acceptance, membership, office or other status in a student group, whether or not such group is formally recognized by the University and regardless of the individual’s willingness to participate. The expressed or implied willingness of the victim(s) is not a defense. Actions and situations that may constitute hazing may include, but are not limited to, the following: • Forcing, requiring, or encouraging the consumption of food or any substance; • Calisthenics (e.g., push-ups, sit-ups, jogging, runs); • Treeing’s (e.g. tying someone up and throwing food or other substances on them); • Paddling in any form; • Line-ups (e.g. yelling at or harassing people in a formation); • Theft of any property; • Road trips (e.g. dropping someone off and leaving him/her to find his/her own way back); • Scavenger hunts; without prior approval from the OFSL; • Causing an individual to be sleep deprived and/or suffer from excessive fatigue; • Conducting activities that do not allow adequate time for studying or that interferes with their scholastic responsibilities (e.g. not allowing an individual to attend class, causing one to miss group projects); 8 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

• Forcing, requiring, or encouraging nudity at any time; • Forcing, requiring, or encouraging the wearing of specific uniform apparel; • Performing acts of personal servitude for members (e.g. driving them to class, cleaning their individual rooms, serving meals, washing cars, shopping, laundry); requirement/forcing of purchases for others; • Forcing, requiring, or encouraging individuals to engage in public stunts or buffoonery, hair cutting, morally degrading/humiliating games or activities, which are distasteful or designed to provoke nausea or inebriation; • Verbally harassing any individual or any action or situation which subjugates an individual to a condition where he/ she might tend to lose self-respect or suffer injury to personal or religious values; • Producing mental or physical discomfort in any form or physical and/or psychological shocks in any form; • Forcing, requiring, or encouraging the violation of university policies, federal, state, or local law. 3. Prevention – As a part of the student group informational, recruitment, and membership intake activities, student groups are required to educate members and prospective members about hazing and to maintain documentation that they have fulfilled this requirement. Each member of a student group must sign the Kennesaw State University Hazing Compliance form. These forms are located in the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life and the Department of Student Life. 4. Reporting a Hazing violation – All members of the University community are strongly encouraged to report suspected instances of hazing to the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life (770-499-3081) and/or the Department of Student Life (770-423-6290), Student Conduct and Academic Integrity (770-499-3403) or KSU Police (770-423-6666). 5. University as the Complainant – All reports of hazing are investigated to determine whether there is sufficient basis to believe that a violation of the Student Code of Conduct may have occurred. Based on this review, the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity may choose to initiate charges, not initiate charges or dismiss a case administratively if the claim does not appear to be supported by the facts. If charges are initiated, the University will serve as the complainant throughout the student judicial process. The Law, Rules, and Information on Hazing Under state law individuals or organizations engaging in hazing could be subject to fines and charged with a criminal offense. According to the law, a person can commit a hazing offense not only by engaging in a hazing activity, but also by soliciting, directing, encouraging, aiding or attempting to aid another in hazing; by intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly allowing hazing to occur; or by failing to report in writing that a hazing incident is planned or has occurred. The fact that a person consented to or acquiesced in a hazing activity is not a defense to prosecution for hazing under the law. The law does not affect or in any way restrict the right of the University to enforce its own rules against hazing. The law defines hazing as any intentional, knowing, or reckless act, occurring on or off the campus of an educational institution, by one person alone or acting with others, directed against a student, that endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student for the purpose of pledging, being initiated into, affiliating with, holding office in, or maintaining membership in any organization whose members are or include students at an educational institution. Hazing includes but is not limited to: • Any type of physical brutality, such as whipping, beating, striking, branding, electronic shocking, placing of a harmful substance on the body, or similar activity; • Any type of physical activity, such as sleep deprivation, exposure to the elements, confinement in a small space, calisthenics, or other activity that subjects the student to an unreasonable risk of harm or that adversely affects the mental or physical health or safety of the student; • Any activity involving consumption of a food, liquid, alcoholic beverage, liquor, drug, or other substance which subjects the student to an unreasonable risk or harm or which adversely affects the mental or physical health of the student; • Any activity that intimidates or threatens the student with ostracism, that subjects the student to extreme mental stress, shame, or humiliation, or that adversely affects the mental health or dignity of the student or discourages the student from entering or remaining registered in an educational institution, or that may reasonably be expected to cause a student to leave the organization or the institution rather than submit to acts described in this subsection; STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 9

• Total or partial nudity at any time; • The eating or ingestion of any unwanted substance; • The wearing or carrying of any obscene or physically burdensome article, paddle swats, including the trading of swats; • Pushing, shoving, tackling, or any other physical contact; • Throwing oil, syrup, flour, or any harmful substance on a person; • Forced consumption of alcoholic beverages either by threats or peer pressure • Lineups intended to demean or intimidate; • Transportation and abandonment (road trips, kidnaps, walks, rides, drops); • Confining individuals in an area which is uncomfortable or dangerous (hot box effect, high temperature, too small); • Any type of personal servitude which is demeaning or of personal benefit to the individual members; • Wearing of embarrassing or uncomfortable clothing; • Assigning pranks such as stealing, painting objects, harassing other organizations; • Intentionally messing up the house or a room for clean up; • Demeaning names; • Yelling and screaming; and • Requiring boxing matches or fights for entertainment.

Hazing “Myths and Facts”

Myth #1: Hazing is primarily a problem for fraternities and sororities. Fact: Hazing is a societal problem. Hazing incidents have been frequently documented in the military, athletic teams, marching bands, religious cults, professional schools, and other types of clubs, and/or organizations. Reports of hazing activities in high schools are on the rise. Myth #2: Hazing is no more than foolish pranks that sometimes go awry. Fact: Hazing is an act of power and control over others‚Äîit is victimization. Hazing is pre-meditated and NOT accidental. Hazing is abusive, degrading and often life-threatening. Myth #3: As long as there’s no malicious intent, a little hazing should be O.K. Fact: Even if there’s no malicious intent, safety may still be a factor in traditional hazing activities that are considered to be all in good fun. For example, serious accidents have occurred during scavenger hunts and kidnapping trips. Besides, what purpose do such activities serve in promoting the growth and development of group team members? Myth #4: Hazing is an effective way to teach respect and develop discipline. Fact: Respect must be earned, not imposed. Victims of hazing rarely report having respect for those who have hazed them. Just like other forms of victimization, hazing breeds mistrust, apathy, and alienation. Myth #5: If someone agrees to participate in an activity, it can’t be considered hazing. Fact: In states that have laws against hazing, consent of the victim can’t be used as a defense in a civil suit. This is because even if someone agrees to participate in a potentially hazardous action it may not be true consent when considering the peer pressure and desire to belong to the group.

Alternatives to Hazing

Sometimes, organizations that haze new members are confused about how to change these practices. There are many creative ways to change from a hazing to a non-hazing organization. In many organizations, the very term “pledge” is often equated with hazing practices. Many national organizations have sought to eliminate this term in order to foster more positive attitudes toward the new members. The following are some specific examples of ways to eliminate hazing and make membership a challenging but positive experience. To Foster Unity: Have the members of your organization work together on a community service project. Visit a ropes course to work on group cohesiveness, communication, and leadership skills. Work with another organization to plan a social event. To Develop Problem-Solving Abilities: Have new members discuss organization weaknesses such as poor recruitment, 10 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

apathy, and poor scholarship, and plan solutions that the organization might then adopt. To Develop Leadership Skills: Encourage participation in campus activities outside of the organization. Encourage new members to get involved in organizational committees and/or leadership roles. Develop a peer mentor program within your group for leadership roles. Invite university/community/business leaders into the organization to share their experiences. To Instill a Sense of Membership: Plan special events when the entire organization gets together to attend a movie, play, or religious service. Plan a “membership circle” where students participate in a candlelight service in which each person has an opportunity to express what membership means to them. To Promote Scholarship: Take advantage of the university’s academic and tutoring services. Designate study hours for members of your organization. Invite university or community experts to discuss test-taking skills, study methods, time management, etc. To Build Awareness of the Organization’s History: Invite an older member to talk about the organization’s early days, its founding, special traditions, and prominent former members. To Aid Career Goals: Use university resources for seminars on resume writing, job interview skills, and for information on various careers. To Involve All Members in the Community: Get involved with campus and community service projects. Plan fundraisers for local charitable organizations. To Improve Relations with Other Organizations: Encourage new members to plan social or service projects with other organizations. Work together to plan joint social or service activities. It is the duty of all current and prospective members to report immediately, in writing, any violation of this policy to the Director of the Department of Student Life, the Dean of Students, the Vice President for Student Success, University Police, or any responsible staff member. If it appears to a University official that an organization is conducting hazing activities, organization officers will be contacted to discuss the situation. Any alleged violation of this policy shall be investigated and appropriate disciplinary sanctions shall be imposed, as provided for in the Student Code of Conduct.


Flyers may be posted on any campus bulletin board not designated for use by a department or organization. The sponsoring organization is responsible for removal of any flyers or other publicity after the advertised event. Because of a potential safety hazard, flyers may not be placed on glass doors and are subject to removal. Flyers are prohibited on any surface except for bulletin boards. Flyers are not to be placed on cars in campus parking lots at any time. Any publicity by a KSU organization must contain the organization name and contact information. Flyers may not be used in any residential area or the Commons without written permission from the Director of Residence Life or the Director of Culinary Services. Flyers and/or table tents may be placed on the tables in the Student Center near the Bookstore, PJ’s Coffee, and Delancey’s Deli; however, please be aware there is no guarantee that they will remain on the tables for any specific period of time. The sponsoring organization is responsible for removal of notices placed around campus after the event has occurred. The name of the organization must appear on the publicity.

All about Banners

Banners may be displayed in the Student Center on the balconies with permission of the Department of Student Life. Only RSOs or university departments may display banners (no individuals or outside agencies). Banners may be displayed in the Student Center on the Student Center addition balconies. Banners may only be displayed by KSU SOs or departments. Banners may be displayed for two weeks. All banners must include specific information: event, time, place, date, sponsoring group, and contact information. STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 11

No banners are to be permanently affixed to walls or banisters in the Student Center using nails, screws, or any other type of hardware or glue. No banners advertising outside entities or individuals may be displayed. Please remove banners after the event is over. If you wish to keep a banner, it is your responsibility to retrieve it immediately following the advertised event, or it will be discarded. Because of limited space, organizations may only display two banners at a time. The Department of Student Life staff will discard banners displayed in the Student Center after the two week period or immediately after an event has occurred. If you wish to keep a banner that is displayed in the Student Center, make a notation on top of the banner. Please include a telephone number and the date the banner was hung. NEVER remove another group’s banner without permission from Department of Student Life staff. Banners must not be directly taped to the railings. Organizations are encouraged to come by the Department of Student Life for hanging suggestions. RSOs may request banners through the Department of Student Life. Printing guidelines may be found online at www. The Department of Student Life is not responsible for banners displayed outside of the Student Center.

All about Chalk

Chalk may be used only in certain locations on campus. Chalk may be used in moderation by student organizations on the sidewalk areas around the Student Center, the library and the Burruss Building in uncovered areas. The chalking must be located where it will wash off easily with rain. No chalk is permitted in any other location on campus, including the residential areas and the Campus Green. Chalk may not be used on pillars of buildings, sides of buildings, or any other similar area. “Paint chalk” is not to be used under any circumstances. Organizations found guilty of chalk-abuse will be asked to clean the violated area, and are subject to revocation of privileges for a minimum of one complete semester.

KSU Approved Campus Postings Policy

Coles College of Business – Burruss Building For student organizations: 1. Email a copy of flyer to a minimum of seven (7) business days prior to event. 2. Once approved Coles College will have someone hang in the building where space is available. 3. All signs will be located in ‘pucks’ – signage holders mounted in various locations on each floor of the building. 4. NO loose leaf fliers or taped flyers are permitted for hanging in the building. They will be taken down immediately. Non-KSU organizations: 1. You may post flyers on the bulletin board on the first floor where vending machines are located ONLY. English Building For student organizations: 1. Please stop by room 155 with a hard copy of flyer for approval and bulletin board locations. Non-KSU organizations: 1. No postings are permitted. Kennesaw Hall Education Wing For student organizations: 1. Bring a hard copy only to Education Student Services (KH Suite 1314) to complete a request to post and leave hard copy there. 2. Once approved and stamped, Education Student Services will hang posting in your recommended area and take them down once expired. 12 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

3. Suggest 8 x 11 poster/flyer size 4. Posters larger than 8 x 11 must be approved by the Interim Director, Education Student Services 5. Approved posters (those larger than 8 x 11) must be laminated OR high-gloss poster paper. Approved Posting Locations: 1. 1st Floor – a. Base of stairs b. Signs at elevator c. “Bus-stop” areas d. Classroom hallway 2. 2nd Floor – a. Seating areas b. Signs at elevator vestibule 3. 3rd Floor – a. Signs at elevator vestibule 6. Posting are NOT allowed on: a. Pillars b. Elevator vestibule wall c. Elevator interior d. Entrance glass e. Stairway glass Non-KSU organizations: 1. No postings are permitted. Residence Life Areas (UV, UV SUITES, KP, UP I AND UP II) No solicitation or posting is allowed in any residential facilities, other than by approved KSU Residence Life and KSU Housing staff. Groups desiring to share information with RA staff or post items in the residential areas must receive permission from Residence Life. Submit all items in advance, preferably via email to, or to the Residence Life main office. No flyers, posters, banners, brochures, handbills, sidewalk chalk, etc. may be used or distributed in the residential areas. For items for the RAs and general bulletin board posting, submit the number of copies indicated below to Residence Life depending who you wish to target. Typically, items must be pre-counted and subdivided as noted below. Distribution To: Just RAs For Bulletin Boards 1 Per Unit* 1 Per Person* KSU Place 11 up to 18 138 550 University Place 11 up to 24 196 700 University Village 23 up to 30 241 881 UV Suites 25 up to 38 489 913 Totals: 70 up to 110 1064 3044 * Contact Residence Life BEFORE printing. Only preapproved university-wide events are eligible for unit and individual distribution. All other activities must follow the bulletin board or RA guidelines. Science, Clendenin, Math/Statistics Buildings For student organizations: 1. All oversized posters/flyers must be discussed with the administrative associate in the front office of the Dean of the College. 2. Regular sized flyers may be posted on any of the bulletin boards (including bulletin boards in stairwells). 3. All flyers must be removed by the organization once the event is over. 4. No posters/flyers should be taped or attached to glass, doors, or walls in any building. They will be removed immediately. Non-KSU organizations: 1. No postings are permitted. STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 13

Social Science Building 1. Flyers must be approved by the Dean’s Office, Room 5010, for a stamped approval. Any unapproved flyers will be removed. 2. Flyers should be no larger than legal size (8.5x14). Any larger size must be approved by the Dean’s Office (room 5010). 3. Flyers may be placed no more than 2 weeks in advance of the event. 4. Groups may place 7 approved flyers in the building: 2 on the Jazzman’s rotating board, and 1 on each bulletin board on each of the 5 floors. 5. Absolutely NO commercial postings are permitted. Student Center Flyers may be posted only on designated bulletin boards, which are located as follows: 1st floor near vending alcove 2nd floor: two in east and west entrances at rotunda on the north end of the building 3rd floor cubicle area One board located on the first floor lobby of the Student Center is only for notifications for rent, sale, childcare, etc. Please do not post organization flyers on this board. No flyers are to be placed on glass doors or windows. One board is located outside the Student Life Department, room 274. Please obtain permission from the Office Manager to post on this board. University College and Willingham Hall For student organizations: 1. Bring a printed copy of flyer to the First-Year Programs office on the first (1st) floor. 2. If they determine the flyer is appropriate and they have room for it they will allow it to be hung in the encased bulletin board on the first floor. 3. Flyers must be taken down by the organization after the event. 4. Flyers may not be hung from windows, doors, or walls. They will be removed immediately. Non-KSU organizations: 1. No postings are permitted. Wilson Building For student organizations AND non-KSU organizations: 1. No postings are currently being permitted outside of the needs of the College of the Arts. All Other Locations on Campus Flyers may be posted on any campus bulletin board not designated for use by a department or organization. Flyers may not be posted on glass doors or windows. Flyers may not be posted on walls, inside or outside. Flyers may not be posted on outside pillars, walls, sidewalks. Flyers may not be posted on automobiles.

Other means of promoting your group or event Collection Boxes & Exhibits

Collection Boxes & Exhibits for collection drives, to include food, books, clothing, toiletries, toys, ink cartridges, school supplies, on behalf of student organizations or departments may be positioned in the Student Center as long as the Collection Drive Form is submitted to the Department of Student Life and the following guidelines are followed: • The sponsoring organization’s name, charity, dates of donation, and contact information must be clearly displayed on 14 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

the structure. • The collection receptacle must be attractive; for example, if you are using a cardboard box, please cover it with paper. • Placement does not disrupt other university functions or interfere with academic instruction, and pedestrian or vehicular traffic. • Permission is sought from the appropriate administrative office if the structure is to be placed in any building other than the Student Center • The organization sponsoring the drive is responsible for maintaining the receptacle appearance and collection of items minimally, once a week. • The organization is responsible for storing and housing all items collected. • The structure must be removed by the end date indicated on the Collection Drive Form. Violators of this policy will have their Collection Box or Exhibit discarded and will be prohibited from hosting a similar initiative.

For Sale, Need Childcare, Need Roommate postings

A bulletin board inside the Student Center is available for announcing items for sale, childcare, etc. The Sentinel also offers free online classifieds at

The Sentinel

The Sentinel offers one free ad per semester and discounted rates for student organizations. Online, Student Handbook & Planner, and magazine ads are also an option. Contact the Student Media Marketing Coordinator in the Department of Student Life for complete information at or call 770-423-6470. Your activity or event may be newsworthy; give your news tips to the student editors via the online news release at

OWL Radio

OWL Radio can help advertise or promote your event with underwriting, sponsorships, or free Public Service Announcements. You may also ask OWL Radio to DJ your event or do a remote broadcast from the location. Please visit or and find out all the ways available to you.

Newspaper Racks

Designated newspaper racks and machines are for the exclusive distribution of The Sentinel and registered Student Media publications. Other student publications may be permitted to distribute from these racks if permission is obtained from the editor in chief and KSUSM advisors. Violators will be charged the current insert rate.

Distribution of Literature

Student Organizations have the ability to distribute literature on campus. Literature can be used to advertise your organization, publicize information, promote an idea, or for a variety of other purposes. Organizations may distribute, or display literature on campus in accordance with the following guidelines: • The literature is not distributed by hawking, shouting, or accosting individuals. • The literature is not a promotion for an off-campus for-profit business, organization, agency, or national association. • The literature that is dropped on the ground in the area where it was distributed should be picked up by the sponsoring organization. • Publications Disclaimer: All student organizations that create publications of any sort, including web pages, must include a disclaimer to read: [name of publication] is published by [name of organization], a registered student organization at KSU. [Name of publication] is not an official publication of Kennesaw State University and does not represent the views of the University, Georgia Board of Regents, or the University System of Georgia.


Student Organizations must ensure that each sign includes the name of the student organization, the date of the event, and/or the date of posting before signs are posted.



• Signs can only be posted on kiosks near the student center and between the Library and University College Building. • An organization may only post two signs per kiosk. • Signs must be attached to the kiosks with non-permanent materials only (tacks, staples, tape). • Signs may not be posted on trees, lamps, columns, trash cans, or other physical structures on campus. • Signs may not be larger than 11x17. Indoor • Signs may be posted only on approved bulletin boards. A bulletin board is under the jurisdiction of the college, school, department, or administrative office that maintains it. • Organizations shall apply to the appropriate college, school, department, or administrative official for permission to use a bulletin board, and shall not use a bulletin board without permission.

Removal of Signs

The organization should remove all signs no later than 14 days after posting or within 24 hours after the event to which it relates has ended, whichever is earlier. All improperly posted signs are subject to removal. Violations of the sign posting policy are subject to review and potential disciplinary action for the student organization.


Student organizations may be charged with violations of the KSU Student Code of Conduct. A student organization and its officers may be held collectively and/or individually responsible when violations of this code by those associated with the organization have received the tacit or overt consent or encouragement of the organization or of its leaders, officers, or spokespersons. Individuals charged with conduct code violations arising out of their affiliation with student organizations shall have their cases settled according to procedures outlined by the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity (hereinafter referred to as SCAI). The code may be found in the KSU Student Handbook & Planner. RSOs should realize that they may be held responsible by the university for their behavior, whether on or off campus, when an offense is directed at the university, a member of the university community, or another student organization and is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct.

KSU Code of Conduct Specific to Student Organizations

A student organization is subject to the authority of the University hearing panel or hearing officer in the following situations: • An alleged offense was committed by one or more members of an organization, and was sanctioned by the officers. • An alleged offense was committed by one or more members of an organization and organization funds were used to finance the venture. • An alleged offense was committed by one or more members of an organization and was supported by a majority of the organization’s membership. • An organization has chosen to protect one or more individual offenders who were members or guests of the organization. • The hearing panel or hearing officer, after hearing the case, deems that the offense, by its nature, was an organization offense and not the action(s) of the individual members. • An alleged offense occurred as a result of an organization-sponsored function. A. Disorderly or Disruptive Assembly • Assembly for the purpose of or resulting in the disruption of normal University or community activity, or which obstructs the normal activities of University faculty or staff, is prohibited. B. Use of Alcohol or Other Drugs • Use and/or possession of drugs (controlled substances) is prohibited. Alcohol regulations appear in Section V of this code. 16 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

C. Hazing • Hazing in any form is prohibited. Hazing is defined as follows: Any action taken, or situation intentionally created, on or off the premises of the university, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, ridicule or suffering as a means to gain entry into an organization. These activities include, but are not necessarily restricted to, paddling in any form; creating excessive fatigue; physical or psychological shocks; engaging in public stunts and buffoonery; morally degrading or humiliating games and activities; and/or any other activities not consistent with the regulations of Kennesaw State University. The express or implied willingness of the victim(s) is not a defense. D. Theft and Disregard for Property 1. Unauthorized taking of, attempted taking of, damage to or attempted damage to, or possession of items belonging to an individual, the University, the community, or another university or student organization is prohibited. 2. Unauthorized use or attempted use of service (e.g., telephone, computer services, etc.) belonging to the University, the community, another student organization, or an individual is prohibited. E. Unauthorized Entry • Unauthorized entry, attempted entry, or use of University or community facilities is prohibited. F. Fire Safety • Use of fireworks or creation of a fire without the specific permission of the KSU Police is prohibited. G. Academic Honesty • Maintaining files of examinations, tests, reports, or term papers is prohibited. H. Official Recognition • All student organizations and organizations shall follow the appropriate procedures, as set forward by the Office of the Vice President for Student Success (or designee), to become officially recognized Kennesaw State University student organizations. I. Gambling • Gambling is strictly prohibited, but raffles may be held by student organizations. Raffles will be treated as any other fund-raising activity and will be subject to fund-raising guidelines. J. Sales, Fundraising and Advertising • Unauthorized selling of any kind (including bartering), unauthorized fundraising, and unauthorized advertising of fundraising or any other type of event is prohibited. Organizations shall follow the guidelines set down by the Office of the Vice President for Student Success (or designee) for all such activities. K. Proper Planning • Organizations shall be able to demonstrate that they have taken due measures to properly plan for any activities or events held on or off the University campus. 1. All such events and activities must be registered with and approved by the Office of the Vice President for Student Success (or designee) for approval at least two weeks prior to holding the event. 2. Reasonable measures shall be taken to ensure appropriate parking, security, safety and sanitary procedures for any activity or event. 3. Organizations shall adhere to specified time limits for any activity or event. 4. Holding events or activities not sanctioned or approved by the Office of the Vice President for Student Success (or designee) is prohibited. 5. Final Exam Week of each semester is closed to public performances, dances, concerts and similar extracurricular activities and assemblies. L. Shared Responsibility • Student organizations are responsible at all times for organizational violations of the University Student Code of Conduct regulations by their members or their guests. Organization members who knowingly act in concert to violate the regulations may be held jointly responsible with their organization for such violations. Organizations that knowingly condone, encourage, or require behavior that violates University regulations may be held jointly responsible for such violations.


A Visual Identity Program (VIP) refers to a consistent approach to the visual design of communication materials so that an institution can transmit its primary messages in ways that are identifiable and memorable with its target audiences. STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 17

Elements of a visual identity program include a signature, or logo, a family of typefaces and standard colors. A consistent visual identity program will ensure that communications from all parts of the university, regardless of their origin in academic or administrative unit, can benefit from primary identification with the parent institution, resulting in a stronger Kennesaw State University. Questions concerning the Visual Identity Program should be directed to University Relations at (770) 423-6203.

Comply with the KSU Official Logo Policy

While Kennesaw State University understands the desire for unique logos, we know that having a single visual element resonates with our many audiences and provides quick, easy and consistent recognition of entities within Kennesaw State University. As such, logos or graphic or visual elements that exist outside of those described in this guide will not be permitted. In addition to the official logo, colleges and other approved units on campus are eligible to use a college-specific or unitspecific logo provided by University Relations. The template for these logos features the Kennesaw State name as well as the college or unit name. By incorporating the Kennesaw State name with the unit name, the unit name receives prominence while retaining an overall university identity. The college specific or unit-specific logo can be used on the front of major publications as long as the official Kennesaw State University logo appears on the back cover of the publication. The college-specific or unit-specific logo may be used by itself in advertisements for individual colleges and units. The college-specific or unitspecific logos may not be used on stationery or business cards. Unique college, school, department and other unit seals, logos or word marks may not be used on any university communication and no new logos may be developed. Either the official Kennesaw State University logo or the approved college-specific or unit-specific logo must always be a prominent element of any advertising for the university and its colleges and units. Graphic elements may not be grouped with the official logo in any way as to appear as a larger composite piece. Additional graphic elements may never be used on letterhead, business cards or forms. University Relations is responsible producing and approving the use of college-specific and unit-specific logos. Requests for college-specific or unit-specific logos should be submitted to RSOs who chose to include “Kennesaw State University” in any logo on any type of promotional material must first send proposed artwork to Questions concerning usage of this guide should be directed to University Relations at (770) 423-6203.

Use the Name of The University Appropriately

Kennesaw State University established a licensing program to protect its name and identifying marks. Kennesaw State University is a trademark of The Board of Regents and can only be used by organizations that either are KSU departments, or are officially sponsored by a university department.

There are two types of organizations on campus:

• Officially Sponsored University Organizations are those that have obtained official sponsorship from Kennesaw State University. Examples are KSU Athletics, KSU Foundation, and KSU Continuing Education, etc. These organizations may use the words “The Kennesaw State University,” “KSU,” or other trademarked words in the organization name • Student Organizations are the second type of organization at KSU. Organizations are not considered officially sponsored by the university and, therefore, may not use the name Kennesaw State University, any abbreviation thereof, or any of the university’s trademarks or logos in the organization name without seeking prior approval from the Department of University Relations.

Be Aware of KSU Licensing & Trademarks

Kennesaw State University, like most major colleges and universities, has a licensing program that regulates the use of its marks on items such as t-shirts, caps, key chains, mugs, pens, etc. The licensing process ensures that KSU marks are used appropriately and only on products approved by the university, 18 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

and that the products are manufactured under a code designed to reinforce fair labor practices. Proceeds from the licensing program supports Athletics and Auxiliary Services.

Do Business only with Vendors who are Licensed to use the KSU marks

Only vendors licensed with KSU are permitted to manufacture, imprint or embroider Kennesaw State merchandise. To avoid any potential issues, the Department of Student Life recommends use of the approved promotional vendors. The list of approved vendors is outlined later in this manual, but can also be provided upon request in the Department of Student Life. ANY GROUP USING KSU STUDENT FUNDS MUST ONLY USE KSU APPROVED VENDORS. Always Seek Design Approval for any Printed Merchandise If you plan to have merchandise manufactured/ imprinted and distributed, you must have your design pre-approved through Creative Services. You may contact Creative Services for approval at You will be required to submit your artwork and name of vendor. Only approved vendors may be used. Please allow 5 business days for review of artwork. All designs must be submitted, not just those including KSU names or marks. http://www.

Disclaimers: Separate your Organization from Officially Representing KSU

All student organizations that create publications of any sort, including web pages, must include a disclaimer to read: [name of publication] is published by [name of organization], a registered student organization at KSU. [Name of publication] is not an official publication of Kennesaw State University and does not represent the views of the University, Georgia Board of Regents, or the University System of Georgia.


Student organizations should consider adopting constitutions or bylaws that will help their organization to function in an orderly and efficient manner. Constitutions and bylaws articulate the purpose of and spell out the procedures to be followed by student organizations. The documents should be referred to when questions arise, reviewed annually, and utilized in the training of new officers. The needs of a group will change over time and it is important that the constitution and bylaws are kept up to date to reflect the current state of affairs. Make sure that all members have copies of these important documents so that they are informed about the organization and its procedures. A constitution will serve to clarify the organization’s purpose, delineate basic structure, and provide the cornerstone for building an effective organization. It will also allow members and potential members to have a better understanding of what the organization is all about and how it functions. Constitutions usually require a two-thirds vote of the membership for adoption. For more information, see Sample Constitution under the Forms section of Bylaws set forth in detail the operational procedures a group must follow to conduct business in an orderly manner. While the Department of Student Life understands that bylaws are important, it is our hope that organizations will work to develop or strengthen an updated constitution. Notice: Any changes made to an organization’s Constitution or Bylaws must be reviewed by the Department of Student Life, and approved by SABAC prior to ratification. On the following pages, we will outline the appropriate steps to establish a new student organization or revise an existing constitution. Steps to Making Change(s) to Your Student Organization’s Constitution or Bylaws Complete the Constitution Change Request Form, found at in the “forms” section, in its entirety and return it to the Department of Student Life, Room 274 of the Student Center. E-mail your updated document in Word, with the “track changes” feature enabled, to (Subject: STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 19

Organization Name – Constitution Change Request). Upon submission and processing of both of the above documents, notification e-mail will be sent with a status update. Attend the SABAC meeting on the appropriate date (schedule below): Fall Semester August 28, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, August 21), University Room A September 11, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, September 4), Leadership Room September 25, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, September 18), Leadership Room October 23, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, October 16), Leadership Room November 6, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, October 30), University Room CDE November 20, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, November 13), University Room CDE Spring Semester January 22, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, January 15), University Room A February 5, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, January 29), Leadership Room February 19, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, February 12), University Room A March 12, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, March 5), University Room A March 26, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, March 19), Leadership Room April 16, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, April 9), Leadership Room

Raising Funds for your Organization

Consultation with the Department of Student Life staff in the early planning stages of fund raising activities can save time and effort and will ensure compliance with appropriate institutional rules and regulations. The Assistant Director for Student Involvement or his/her designee are available to provide advice on planning strategies and the applicability of university regulations.

Things to Consider Regarding Fundraising

• Fundraisers and solicitation can be conducted by student organizations in approved areas. • The use of Kennesaw State University trademarks and logos by student organizations or third party organizations for the purpose of fundraising is prohibited. • Fund raisers may not be conducted for private gain of individuals or for-profit business. • All fund raising activities, and especially planned sales of t-shirts, mugs, caps, or any items that use the name of Kennesaw State University or any of its trademark symbols, are prohibited. • Any money raised by student organizations is the sole responsibility of the organization. The University and the Department of Student Life are not responsible.

Your Organization Advisor

The Department of Student Life requires student organizations to have a minimum of one (1) full time faculty or administrative staff advisor before charter or re-registration status is granted. Advisors serve in a volunteer capacity and may seek out student organizations to advise or accept personal invitations by established organizations on campus.

The Role of the Advisor

An advisor should work with the organization officers and members to ensure smooth operation of the organization. An advisor can be your biggest advocate, and can also help solve challenges and issues that may arise within the group. The relationship between an advisor and an organization will vary from year to year and individual to individual. However, the student/advisor relationship can be crucial to the success of the organization. It is important that the advisor and the organization communicate their expectations to each other. The advisor should be very clear about the things she or he will do, and the things she or he will not do. Of course, the expectations will vary according to the needs of the organization and the advisor.


The list that follows contains possible roles of an advisor:

• The advisor recognizes and supports participation in student organizations for its contributions to the educational and personal development of students. • Advisors should work with student organizations but not dictate the group’s programs or activities; however, advisors should be frank in offering suggestions, considerations or ideas, and discussing possible consequences. • The advisor should be well informed about the plans and activities of the organization. • The expectation is that the advisor will attend some meetings and will consult frequently with the organization’s officers. • The advisor should know the goals and directions of the organization and should help the group evaluate its progress. • The advisor should be aware of the constitution and bylaws of the organization and help with interpretation, if applicable. • Advisors of KSU Student Media should be familiar with and support the College Media Association Code of Ethics.

Selecting an Advisor

When selecting an advisor, find a KSU faculty or staff person who will have the time to devote to your organization. Make sure that this person will take the role willingly and seriously, and find someone who has knowledge or skills related to the mission/purpose of the organization. Make certain that she or he has a clear understanding of the organization’s purpose. Discuss with the potential advisor what is required of them, and outline the time commitment involved. Be open and honest with the potential advisor about the types of activities in which the organization may participate. Allow the person a reasonable length of time to consider his or her decision. If possible, choose someone who shares some of the same interests as the organization, and who has previously interacted with the leadership of the organization. Keep in mind that the advisor provides a source of continuity within the organization and is familiar with the organization’s history.

Other Considerations for Selecting an Advisor

• The advisor should be familiar with university policies and procedures and help the organization comply with them. • The advisor should be aware of the general financial condition of the organization, and encourage good record-keeping. • The advisor should help in training new officers and help them develop their leadership skills. • The advisor should be prepared to deal with major problems or emergencies within the organization. • The advisor should monitor group functioning and encourage members to fully participate, to assume appropriate responsibility for group activities, to maintain a balance between academic activities, and to maintain a balance between academic activities and co-curricular commitments.

The Organization’s Responsibilities to the Advisor

Keep in mind that the advisor is usually voluntarily associated with the organization; however, there are professional staff members who serve in advising roles. Regardless of the type of advisor, it is the organization’s responsibility to inform the advisor on the activities of the organization. Always remember to do the following: • Notify the advisor of all meetings and events. • Consult your advisor in the planning of all activities. • Consult the advisor before any changes in the structure of the organization, or in the policies of the organization are made, and before major projects are undertaken. • Understand that although the advisor has no vote that she or he should have speaking privileges. • Remember that the responsibility for the success or failure of the organization project rests ultimately with the group, not the advisor. • Talk over any problems or concerns with the advisor. • Acknowledge the advisor’s time and energy are donated, and express appreciation. • Be clear and open about your expectations for your advisor’s role. • At the end of each semester, evaluate your advisor and give appropriate feedback.


SECTION 6: KSU FUNDING FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION All student organizations are eligible to receive funding from the Department of Student Life in the amount of $400 per year. To receive SABAC funding, student organizations must be open to all enrolled students at Kennesaw State University, allowing membership and participation to any KSU student. The exception to this regulation is the Honor Society category of student organizations. Line-item organizations receive their own annual budgets to provide regular programs and services throughout the academic year. Staff members who advise these organizations serve as budget directors and work closely with the staff of the Department of Student Life to ensure compliance with University regulations when spending student activity funds. While individual fraternity and sorority chapters that fall under the authority of the OFSL may not request funds, fraternity and sorority councils (Panhellenic, NPHC, IFC, MGC) may request funding from SABAC to attend council conferences and/or meetings, or for programs that are open to the entire student body.

Permitted Uses of Student Activity Fees

• Travel to conferences and competitions related to the registered student organization purposes. • Registration fees for activities and events • Educational programs • Support for organizational operations such as publicity, office supplies, activities of the registered student organization • Movies/films to be shown publicly or to advance the purpose of the registered student organization (please be sure to show the film according to appropriate guidelines) • Speakers/lectures • Student recognition banquets that are open to all KSU students • Other activities consistent with the mission of the organization and focused on KSU students.

Prohibited Uses/Allocations of Student Activity Fees

• Events that involve alcohol or tobacco • Philanthropic donations, charitable contributions or gifts of any type to organizations outside of KSU • Events that are NOT focused on or open to KSU students • Any item or activity deemed excessive, not justified, and/or in conflict with the mission of KSU and SABAC • Social functions that are not related to a program or educational event • Payment to members of the organization for any purpose outside of constitutionally approved stipends • Organizations not registered with the Department of Student Life or not in good standing.

General Guidelines for Use of Student Activities Funds

These apply both to organizations with university affiliated budgets and to fee-eligible organizations. • Occasionally, guest speakers or performers come to campus at the invitation of student organizations. Whenever a reception or dinner occurs for these guests, it must be open to all members of the sponsoring organization and the student body. • Sometimes, meals for the guests are required per the contract. Students and staff members who participate in the meal must pay for their own meals from their personal funds. • It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to purchase equipment through competitive bid procedures according to state guidelines regardless of the source of funding. This includes purchases supported by student activities funds. Any unauthorized purchase of equipment will be treated as a personal acquisition. Please consult the Department of Student Life Business Manager for coordination of equipment purchases through the University’s procurement office. • Funding requests through SABAC hearings must be expended within the same academic year unless special permission is granted by SABAC and with the approval of the Associate Vice President for Operations. Expenditures and reimbursements will be made only for those items specifically approved by SABAC. • Operating funds for all eligible organizations must be expended within the same academic year. At the end of the fiscal year any remaining free balances will be transferred into the Prior Year Surplus account and may not be accessed by 22 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

organizations without SABAC approval. • No speaker who is a member of the Kennesaw State University faculty, staff or student body may receive payment or honorarium for an appearance. • No student activities funds may be used to purchase alcoholic beverages, personal items or support of political candidates or parties (including the federal, state, local or University level). SGA is permitted to spend funds to advertise the student elections. • Only activities, services, physical items or programs that are necessary for an organization’s basic function will be funded. Any physical item, service or activity bought or funded by student funds must be available to all members of the organization. Equipment purchased through student activity funds will be accessible to all areas currently funded by these funds, unless specific equipment is necessary for the daily operation of a particular area. Operators of equipment purchased by student funds must have prior approval through The Department of Student Life. • Domain names for KSU student organizations or student organization business may not be owned by or have the Registrant as a student. Only the organization’s advisor or a member of the Department of Student Life staff may be the domain’s Registrant. • Because Kennesaw State University is committed to democratic practices in representational issues, it is expected that the student membership of each student organization will determine the best use of the funds made available to their organization. It is considered inappropriate and unfair for only officers or individual students and/or advisors to determine expenditures and plan budgets without giving the membership an opportunity for input.

Department of Student Life Operating and Program Funds

There are two avenues through which funding may be requested: the Department of Student Life Operating and Program funds and SABAC funds. Operating Funds: The Department of Student Life provides access to student activity fee funds up to $400.00 for each non-line item, registered student organization that is in good standing with the university and the department. A new student organization approved by SABAC after November 1 will be eligible to receive $200 for the remainder of the academic year; a new student organization approved by SABAC after March 1 will be eligible to receive $75 for the remainder of the academic year; those organizations approved after March 31 will receive no funding for that academic year. Program Funds: In addition to the operating funds, eligible organizations may be able to obtain funds to sponsor programs that are relevant to the organization’s purpose, open to all students and advertised to the campus. Up to $500 per program is available at the discretion of the Assistant Director for Student Involvement to be used toward such items as speaker fees, rental of DVDs, publicity, refreshments and handout materials. This fund is limited and is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Organizations may only receive program funds once per academic year. To request the funds, a group must complete the Program Fund Request form, found at NOTE: Line-item organizations are not eligible to request operating and program funds due to the fact that they each have an annual large operating budget. All expenses related to these organizations must be made from their own budgets.

Purchasing Guidelines for Common Student Organization Operations

Depending on the nature of the expense, the Department of Finance and Accounting may request additional supporting documents to further explain the fund expenditure. It is important for any requestor to work cooperatively with the Department of Student Life Business Manager to ensure timely processing of the payment request by responding to requests for additional documentation in a timely fashion.

Accessing Your Organization Club Funds from The Department of Student Life

All business affairs for student organizations are handled through the Department of Student Life’s Business Manager. General hours are Monday-Thursday 10:00am-4:00pm, and travel assistance will be managed by appointment only. To schedule appointments, please send an email to Subject Line: Organization Appointment Request. On Fridays, organization business (advances, payments, reimbursements, check requests) will only be handled on an appointment basis. STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 23

There are two (2) primary ways to access these funds: Cash Advance and Personal Reimbursements. Conveniently, the Department of Student Life uses one universal form for managing student organization money requests called the Organization Petty Cash / Reimbursement Request Form, located under the “forms” section of This is the ONLY accepted method for requesting funds from the Department of Student Life.

Cash Advances

The Department of Student Life issues cash advances in good faith to student organizations to minimize the need for use of personal funds for organization needs. It is the organization and the requestor’s responsibility to return unused funds, and/or provide evidence that the funds supplied were used in accordance with State, University, and Departmental guidelines for university funds. When a cash advance is issued, the requestor must reconcile the transaction within 5 business days of the purchase by either returning with original, itemized receipts, supporting documents, and change if the expense did not deplete the $50.00 issuance. Generally speaking, if there is no leftover money, the total number of itemized receipts should equal $50.00. Any cash advance that is not reconciled completely will be charged to the requester’s KSU account for repayment. All cash advances and reimbursements up to $50 may be given immediately. Any reimbursement over $50 will be processed so that you will receive your money via check within two weeks. Any cash advance requests over $50 require advance notice of three days. Documentation of student organization expense must be provided to the Department of Student Life Business Manager prior to any disbursal of funds. Documents required are: • Original, itemized receipts • Brief description of items to be purchased or already purchased • Estimated or Actual amount of purchase to determine amount of cash needed • Date of the event or purchase • Signature of staff/faculty advisor approving use of organization funds for the expense • Copy of event flyer/announcement • Sign-in sheet of students if food was served. Original receipts and supporting documents (flyers, food sign in sheets, etc.) for reimbursement are due no later than 15 days after the event/activity has occurred. If receipts have not been received after 15 days, the Department of Student Life will contact the RSO. If receipts have not been submitted within 15 days after the event/activity, no reimbursement will be made. If the organization seeks reimbursement for or has purchased an item that has not been approved as part of the allocation or violates any KSU or organization policy, the student organization’s registration will be suspended or revoked until all matters have been resolved.

Reimbursements that exceed $50.00

If an organization has an anticipated expense that exceeds the $50.00 cash advance limit, or has spent personal funds in excess of $50.00, KSU requires that those payments be issued by a university check. This process that is facilitated by the KSU Department of Finance and Accounting is more extensive than the Department of Student Life’s petty cash system and requires a minimum of 7-10 business days to complete; however, there are specific requirements that MUST be satisfied before the university is able to release an official check payment to the requestor: • The requestor must complete both the KSU Vendor Registration Form, and the IRS W-9 form. This form must be completed with your preferred mailing address, social security number, address, and responses to several questions required by KSU for payment processing. • These forms should be returned to the Department of Student Life, along with a completed Petty Cash/ Personal Reimbursement Form, Itemized Receipt, Event Flyer, and Food Sign-in Sheet where applicable. • All information will be processed by the Department of Student Life Business Manager and forwarded to the KSU Department of Finance and Accounting for review and payment. 24 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

Department of Student Life Financial Practices

All cash payments or checks for reimbursement will be made payable to the student responsible for making the approved purchase ONLY after original receipts and a Fund Request Form signed by the organization advisor have been submitted to the Department of Student Life Business Manager. Original and itemized invoices, Vendor Payments, or Purchase Orders related to the approved funding allocation may also be made directly to Vendor or Service Provider once all Vendor Registration Forms have been forwarded to Finance and Accounting. Individual and Vendor Registration Forms may be obtained at formsa_z The Department of Student Life and SABAC may suspend or revoke the funding allocation before distribution if the organization has engaged in activities that violate state and federal laws or the policies of the university. The funding will be discontinued as of the date of suspension/revocation and no expenses incurred after that date will be paid. The organization is solely responsible for all expenses that exceed the amount of the allocation awarded to the organization. A sign-in sheet for student attendees if food will be or has been served (KSU Finance and Accounting Policy) KSU is tax exempt and should not pay taxes. Please be sure to show the KSU Tax Exempt Certificate before making any purchase on behalf of your organization. The Department of Student Life cannot reimburse anyone for payment of taxes. Tax exempt forms are available upon request from the Department of Student Life at in the “forms” section.

Student Activity Budget Advisory Committee (SABAC) The Role of SABAC and how it governs Student Activity Funds

The Student Activities and Budget Advisory Committee (SABAC) serves as an advisory group to the KSU Vice President for Student Success concerning student activity funds and the approval of applications for forming new student organizations.

SABAC Membership

Membership of the Student Activities and Budget Advisory Committee includes representatives of the administration, staff, faculty and students. Student members are from the following constituencies: graduate students, undergraduate students, international students, non-traditional students, traditional students, multicultural students, and studentsat-large. Student members are the majority of the committee. SABAC student members elect a chair from among the students who serve on SABAC. The SGA President appoints student members. Any enrolled student may submit an application for consideration. Applications are available at The purpose of the student activity fee is to improve the overall quality of the campus experience for students; to increase opportunities for student involvement in the educational process, particularly the out-of-class experience; and to enhance appropriate out-of-class services and programs based on identified student needs. It’s KSU’s student organizations that help make this happen! SABAC must follow all the regulations as set forth in the Department of Administrative Services in the state of Georgia and the regulations of Kennesaw State University as regards spending.

Submitting a SABAC Request

• Find the appropriate SABAC request form at and submit it along your request. • To be included on a SABAC meeting agenda, your request must be submitted one week prior to the desired SABAC meeting. STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 25

• SABAC requests must be submitted to the Department of the Vice President of Student Success, located on the 4th Floor of Kennesaw Hall, 4413. • Please note: SABAC will not hear funding requests for events or travel that has already occurred; in other words, there will be no reimbursement after the fact. SABAC Meeting Dates and Deadlines All SABAC meetings are held Wednesdays at 3:30pm. Dates for SABAC meetings are: Fall Semester August 28, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, August 21), University Room A September 11, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, September 4), Leadership Room September 25, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, September 18), Leadership Room October 23, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, October 16), Leadership Room November 6, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, October 30), University Room CDE November 20, 2013 (agenda deadline is noon, November 13), University Room CDE Spring Semester January 22, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, January 15), University Room A February 5, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, January 29), Leadership Room February 19, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, February 12), University Room A March 12, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, March 5), University Room A March 26, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, March 19), Leadership Room April 16, 2014 (agenda deadline is noon, April 9), Leadership Room

Making the Presentation to SABAC

Each organization applying for funding from SABAC shall be granted a hearing to present their proposal and application to the committee. Upon receipt of the application forms, the registered student organization will be notified of the hearing date and time. Each student presentation shall be limited to 5 minutes. SABAC may ask questions and seek additional information from the representative at the hearing to assist in rending a decision. A student officer or member should make the request to SABAC. An advisor should not make SABAC requests on behalf of the organization. Please do not prepare any media or PowerPoint presentations for SABAC, as they will not increase your chances of having your request approved.

Important items to note when making the request:

• The request must be consistent with the organization’s Bylaws or Constitution, state and federal law and the policies of the Board of Regents and Kennesaw State University. • The request is consistent with the purpose of the organization as defined on the request. • Events or participation in the program is open to all students of Kennesaw State University. The only exception to this requirement is for travel. • The request is made with adequate time to formally secure campus space, review contracts, request payment within the time frames established by Kennesaw State University. • Upon receipt of the application forms, the registered student organization will be notified of the hearing date and time. Each student presentation shall be limited to 5 minutes. SABAC may ask questions and seek additional information from the representative at the hearing to assist in rending a decision. Organizations should come prepared and should retain copies of all submitted items for reference.

Types of Funding Requests that SABAC will Consider: • Banquet/Ceremony/Program/Event • Equipment • Travel


Each section is outlined in detail. Please read carefully. Banquet/Ceremony/Program/Event Funding for a banquet or ceremony must be advertised to the entire campus. Occasionally, and depending on the scale of the event, evidence of campus marketing may be requested. Additionally, administrative offices in the state of Georgia regulate food expenditures. All organizations must comply with state limits for food costs, and be aware that food per diem rates vary based on the physical purchase location. The Department of Student Life Business Manager is knowledgeable about the limitations and will ensure that the limits are not exceeded. Catered events, defined as buffet, sit down, food stations, etc., that hope to have food servers, set up, breakdown, table clearing, linens, etc. must be provided by KSU approved caterers. Drop off/pick up self-served, food providers are allowed as long as the food per diem limits are applied. Please see the end of this section for approved vendors. Lecture, Performance, or Specialty Programs Requiring Contracts or Payments for Services It is a university policy that all student activity funded events be open to all KSU students. Additionally, KSU has firm policies for service and performance contracts. While these events are welcomed and encouraged, extensive support and preparation is required. The Department of Student Life has a knowledgeable staff that is willing to work with student leaders to produce a seamless quality event. Organizations should schedule an appointment with a member of the team as soon as they begin the initial planning steps. Three to four weeks in advance is a reasonable time frame to orchestrate a sizeable function with ease. Promotional Items Related to an Event or Functions Please remember that ALL design/artwork (not just those using the Kennesaw State University name, trademarks, or official logos) must be submitted to University Relations at for review and approval prior to purchase. Items ordered without the approval of the University Relations Design Approval and the Department of Student Life Business Manager may be ineligible for payment. Remember to seek help first, and avoid the risk of becoming personally responsible for items purchased without appropriate approvals. Please see the end of this section for approved vendors.

KSU Contract Approvals Policy

This document sets forth the policy on contract approvals. The purpose of the policy is to provide guidance for the campus community on who has authorization to sign contracts for the University. This policy serves as clarification and official authorization for the following KSU personnel to sign contracts for the University (at the contractual value levels indicated), with the caveats below: • Only the personnel in the positions listed are authorized to sign contractual agreements for the University, at the indicated thresholds; • Any KSU personnel who sign contracts or agreements outside this official authorization or other specifically delegated authority may be subject to serious disciplinary action; • If any contract signing authority is further delegated beyond the personnel indicated below, that delegated authority must be in writing and on-file within the Office of the Assistant Vice President for Financial Services; • Under Georgia law, unauthorized contracts or agreements will be void, and may subject the person who signed the agreement to personal liability under the contract. Authorized Signatory Annual Contract Value • VPs/Deans/Department Heads or designees: Less than $5,000 • University Procurement Officer/Controller (subject to Budget approval): $5,000 to $99,999 • Open Market Purchases (No limit on Purchases from State-Wide or Mandatory Contracts) • AVP Financial Services/Chief Operating Officer: More than $100,000 Contract Review Process If your event has an outside artist, a contract MUST be used. Please use the steps below to gain approval. • First Step: Meet with your Department of Student Life Reservation Coordinator to discuss the contract. It is up to you to schedule a meeting for contract review in The Department of Student Life. Remember that your failure to do so could STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 27

result in the contract not being approved in a timely manner. Your advisor should be involved in this step as well. The Department of Student Life will provide you with a KSU contract, and we prefer that your vendor use the KSU contract. In the event that the KSU contract is inadequate for your vendor, the vendor may submit his/her own contract. • Second Step: You must send the contract to KSU Legal Affairs for review. This process takes eight days. Plan accordingly. • Third Step: Legal Affairs will return the contract once it has been approved. It is the responsibility of your advisor to work with the individual or agency providing the program or service. Once the individual or agency has signed a contract, you may move to the next step. • Fourth Step: The contract must be returned to the director of the Department of Student Life , who will sign it and request the check. YOUR ADVISOR MAY NOT SIGN THE CONTRACT. ONLY THE DIRECTOR OF the Department of Student Life MAY SIGN CONTRACTS. Equipment There are rare occasions when an organization may want to request equipment from SABAC. • Any equipment purchased belongs to the University, NOT to an individual or the organization. • The equipment is to be used on campus and must stay on campus. • Equipment must last for at least five years before being replaced. • Requests for equipment will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. • SABAC is most likely to approve equipment requests that will serve a significant large number of students. Travel Criteria for SABAC Funding: To be eligible for funding, the funding proposal must meet the following criteria: • The proposal is consistent with the organization’s Bylaws or Constitution, state and federal law and the policies of the Board of Regents and Kennesaw State University. • The proposal is consistent with the purpose of the registered student organization as defined on the request. • Events or participation in the program is open to all students of Kennesaw State University. • Adequate time is left to formally secure space, legal review, or any process required by KSU Finance and Accounting. • The maximum allowable amount to be allocated to each organization per academic year shall be determined as prescribed by the SABAC Procedures & Policies Manual (PPM). SABAC Travel Funding Request Hearings SABAC will hear travel funding requests from eligible student organizations for trips that are in line with the organization’s mission and purpose. Travel funds are a privilege and should be treated as such. Funding will only be available for currently enrolled students who are members of the student organization and who will travel during a semester in which they are enrolled. Funding is subject to the following guidelines: • Line-item organizations are expected to include funding for travel within their annual budgets and will not receive additional funding for travel from SABAC. • Other eligible organizations may petition SABAC for travel assistance. Travel requests should be prepared with the assistance of the Department of Student Life and made as far in advance as possible within the same academic year. Each student organization may request a maximum of $1,800 per academic year for travel, according to this formula: • 1 - 200 miles away from KSU, $1,200 or $200 per person whichever is less. • 201 – 500 miles away from KSU $1,500 or $300 per person whichever is less. • 501 - or more miles away from KSU $1,800 or $400 per person whichever is less. • No organization shall be allowed more than $1800 per academic year in total SABAC travel funds. • Working with the Department of Student Life, students are expected to make as many travel arrangements as possible ahead of time.

More Travel Information

• When travel has been approved by SABAC, the trip is a University-authorized activity. Each group or individual must submit the following to The Department of Student Life prior to departure: o Student Trip Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Verification of Insurance Coverage form; o Alcohol and Drug Policy Acknowledgment; and all items requested by the Department of Student Life Business Manager for processing. 28 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

• The Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, Verification of Insurance, and Alcohol and Drug Policy Acknowledgment forms are found at in the “forms” section. • Funds may be requested to cover expenses directly related to travel, such as registration fees, transportation, lodging and meals. • In the case of hotel stays, organizations are expected to house four students per room, or as many as the gender breakdown will allow. Spouses/guests of students must pay their own travel, meals and hotel. • Any funds remaining after the trip is completed will return to SABAC. Organizations are not free to spend remaining funds on expenditures not detailed in the request. • Travel must be related to the students’ position functions within the organization or group purpose. • Students who cancel their nonrefundable travel reservations (hotel, flight, conference registration, etc.) are responsible to reimburse the university from their personal funds. Failure to do so will result in a “hold” placed on the student’s records and registration. Emergencies will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. • All travel funds designated for student travel are to be used for the purpose of conducting the official business of the organization or related professional conferences. • Reimbursement for travel in the performance of official and approved duties of the University shall be subject to University System guidelines, Kennesaw State University travel regulations and Student Activities Budget Advisory Committee policies and procedures. Specifically, meals will be reimbursed based on the General Services Administration’s per diem website. • Required conference meals not covered by registration fees are exceptions and will be reimbursed for actual amounts. • Other travel expenses shall follow the approved travel regulations of the University. • Students are personally responsible for making necessary arrangements with faculty concerning class work. Approval to travel and to receive student activity funds in support of travel should not be construed as permission to miss class meetings and course work. • Requests for travel to be submitted to SABAC must first be routed through the president and advisor of the organization for approval and signature. • The Department of Student Life will assist organizations in completing and processing forms for submission to SABAC. • No cash advances are provided for students who are traveling. Preparing for Your Travel Make an Appointment with the Department of Student Life Business Manager to discuss the following: • Air Travel - If traveling by air the trip organizer will need to obtain a minimum of 2 quotes directly from the chosen airline or a website such as Expedia or Travelocity. Also, if the air travel must be secured at the appointment, a finalized list of traveler legal names, date of birth, gender, and student ID number must be readily prepared so that tickets may be purchased promptly and at the quoted fare rate. • Travel for three or more students may be referred to a travel agency. Please contact the Department of Student Life Business Manager for information. DO NOT contact a travel agency on your own without approval from the Business Manager. Should you enter into a relationship with a travel agency without approval, you will be liable for all funds. • Hotel Information – The trip organizer will need to obtain a minimum of 2 quotes directly from the chosen establishment or from a website such as Expedia or Travelocity. Also, if the lodging must be secured at the appointment, a finalized list of traveler legal names, date of birth, gender, and student ID number must be readily prepared so that tickets may be purchased promptly and at the quoted fare rate. A rooming list and an agenda or conference itinerary for the function RSOs will be attending is required per GA BOR travel policy. • Registration information – Trip organizers must have all registration information available prior to scheduling the travel appointment with the Department of Student Life Business Manager. If applicable, information on how to register online using a credit card is most preferred and efficient. If registration requires a check to be mailed to and organization, the complete KSU vendor registration will be required. Please allow a minimum of 7-10 business days to officially register the event sponsor and request full payment. • Automobile Travel – Students traveling by personal vehicle may be reimbursed at a rate of $0.565 per mile of travel. However, to calculate this accurately, a MapQuest, Google Map or Yahoo Map showing mileage being claimed must be submitted. A University vehicle may also be used but only if a full time faculty or staff member is driving the van. The cost associated with University vehicles are as follows: o 7 passenger van includes driver is $15.00 per day and .30 per mile. o 11 passenger van includes driver is $15.00 per day and .50 per mile. o Medium size sedan is $15.00 per day and .30 per mile. STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 29

A completed form is necessary to reserve a University vehicle and can be found at forms.php. There is an option to use BOB to transport your group to local Atlanta area venues. Rates are for four consecutive hours of shuttle use. A four-hour minimum is required.
 A 15% fuel surcharge will be added for traveling distances beyond a 3-mile radius of campus. If you would like to pursue this option, please email Mr. Ronnie Dunn at rdunn17@kennesaw. edu. Please keep the Student Life Business Manager informed if this is the option you choose. Automobile Rental: If you choose to rent a vehicle, you must pay for it ahead of time from your own money and seek reimbursement. Vehicle rental cannot be prepaid.

To Seek Reimbursement:

KSU Vendor Registration Form – Students who will need to be reimbursed for expense incurred as a result of approved RSO travel will need to complete this form prior to departing. Once all necessary forms have been completed, it is imperative that the trip organizer schedule an appointment with the Department of Student Life Business Manager or 770-423-6015 to discuss logistics associated with the RSO travel. Seeking Reimbursement After Travel • Upon return, a Travel Expense Statement must be completed within one week. • The Department of Student Life Business Manager will provide travelers with the KSU Travel Expense Statement upon return. This form is required in order to be reimbursed for any travel related expenses. This form covers all possible expenses (mileage, rental cars, parking, airfare & baggage cost, per diem food cost, hotel & lodging, taxi, shuttle and related expenses). When completing the form, please select Non-Employee for student travel. And in accordance with BOR, KSU, and Department of Student Life policy, original, itemized receipts must support each monetary claim. • Students must also complete a vendor registration form along with an IRS W-9 in order to receive a reimbursement check. • Forms are available on line at in the forms section. • No reimbursement will be made without prior approval, original receipts and a completed Travel Expense Statement as required by the Department of Student Life Business Manager.

Opening an Off-Campus Bank Account

If your organization wants to open an off-campus bank account, please note that it is at your own risk. Having an account independent of Kennesaw State University allows student organizations to have complete discretion over the funds that they raise; however, students may not deposit funds awarded by the institution into off campus accounts. Please note that Kennesaw State University has no jurisdiction over your bank account, and cannot get involved in any disputes arising from the bank account. Neither Kennesaw State University nor the Department of Student Life will be held responsible for mismanaged accounts or personal credit blemishes.

How do I Buy T-Shirts & Promotional Items?

To purchase promotional items such as pens, cups, caps, t-shirts, and brochure folders imprinted with KSU logos or service marks, follow the procedures for purchasing goods, generally. “Promotional items” are not items purchased for resale, but are typically distributed to staff, students or parents/alumni at University-related events to promote the name and offerings of the University. Merchandise or printed materials that incorporate University logos, service marks or other University-related design elements must have the design pre-approved through Creative Services. Please contact University Relations for approval at Vendors who offer to imprint promotional items with KSU logos, mascot images or other service marks must be registered with the licensing company, SMA. Additional details can be obtained by writing to Any items funded with SABAC money require the use of University-approved vendors, who have been appropriately 30 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

licensed to use all KSU marks. You will still need to submit your design to for approval to use it. KSU approved vendors. All are familiar with KSU and have worked with KSU organizations: 1st Coast Printing Website: Primary Contact: Robin Ray Phone: 904-716-4800 Fax: 904-285-7915 E-mail: Secondary Contact: Susan Batson Phone: 251-604-7470 E-mail: Halo Branded Solutions (Lee Wayne Corporation) Website: Primary Contact: Dianne Helliwell Phone: 770-321-4747 Fax: 678-560-2616 E-mail: Secondary Contact: Jodi Stelling E-mail: Promo Entertainment Group Website: Primary Contact: Melanie McGovern Phone: 404-367-0350 Fax: 404-367-0420 E-mail: Secondary Contact: Ralston Wells E-mail: The Target Group Website: Primary Contact: Susan Broccolo Phone: 678-835-5819 Fax: 678-835-5801 E-mail: Secondary Contact: Angela Montgomery E-mail:

How do I Buy Food?

• Most foods (bakery, dairy products and other perishables) are exempt from procurement rules, and include prepared foods such as hors d’oeuvres, meat and vegetable trays, pizza, desserts, etc. suitable for meetings or parties. Simply put, RSOs may purchase food from any food establishment as long as full service catering is not provided. Drop off or pick up service is allowed. • Although most foods are exempt from state procurement rules, the Board of Regents has specific conditions under which food may be purchased for employees (in non-travel status) and students. For example, food can only be purchased for valid University business, which may include sanctioned student activity events. • Employees may partake of meals served at such events only when employee participation is required. Please see important rules adopted by the Board of Regents in their Business Procedures Manual, sections 19.7 and 19.8. found at STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 31

How do I Hire a Caterer?

To hire a caterer RSOs may request quotes for service from the contracted vendor(s) of choice. Once the preferred quote is accepted, an organization may attach it to the Department of Student Life Request for Funds Form for payment if funds are available. Catering services are more than mere food delivery, and typically involve set-up, servers, clean-up, etc. A University contract for catering services must be awarded, permitting University departments to order from their choice of seven caterers. Information on all seven caterers may be found below. These vendors have all worked with KSU and will know how best to assist you with your catered event. A Legendary Event Kelly Vincent 404/605-8921 Bold American Events and Catering Michelle Michelman 678/302-3234 Carlyle’s Catering Sarah Boyd 404/872-4231 Endive Rhys Buhrman 404/504-9040 Gracious Gatherings Holly Crum 770/441-0401 KSU Catering Enzo Mancuso 678/797-2208 Time to Dine LaToya Jackson 770/384-1904 Triple J’s Catering Nicole Bell 770/420-6490


SECTION 7: ROOM RESERVATIONS & EVENT PLANNING All events, activities, conferences and information tables on KSU campus must be approved and documented properly and assigned a specific space for the activity to be held. A KSU Department or Student Organization must sponsor all reservations at KSU. Student Life is responsible for coordinating reservations for all Student Organizations. University Events must process all events sponsored by a KSU Department. All class projects must be reserved through University Events. It is the responsibility of the faculty member assigning the project to arrange the space reservations. Registered Student Organizations are eligible to reserve Information Table locations only. Certified Student Organizations are eligible to reserve all spaces available to reserve on campus. New Student Organization Interest Groups (New Organizations pending SABAC Approval) are eligible to reserve 2 Information Table locations per semester after a representative has attended a “Get Started Workshop”. New Student Organization Interest Groups (New Organizations pending SABAC Approval) New Student Organization Interest Groups can email with 2 dates to host information tables to gain interest in the new organization. The organization will be given 1 6 foot rectangular table and 2 chairs in the location assigned (except The Commons- no chairs provided). The email should include: Name of New Student Organization Interest Group: Responsible Student’s Name: Responsible Student’s Email Address: Responsible Student’s Phone Number: Preferred Location: (Choose from- Student Center Rotunda, Atrium or Terrace, Campus Green, The Commons Patio, Social Science Building Display Table, or Social Science Outside Patio) Start and End Time: Sponsored Activities by Certified Student Organizations The key component in requesting this space is completing the Activity Request Form found at, which will be processed by one of the Department of Student Life Reservation Coordinators. It takes 3 to 5 business days to process a request. In order to arrange proper access to space, set-up and other details all Activity Request Forms should be submitted at least 7 to 10 business days prior to the requested date of the reservation. Event requests may require approval from CEPC (the KSU Campus Event Planning Committee comprised of key university officials), which requires a minimum of 30 days to process. Before any agreement(s) may be made in connection with the function, the CSO should have received a Reservation Confirmation. Summarized Steps for Planning an Event on Campus as a CSO 1. First step is to meet with your members and discuss details of the proposed event. Suggested questions to answer are: • What do you want to accomplish from hosting the event? • When and where would you like the event to take place? (multiple dates and location options are best) • What is your budget for the event? • Who is your target audience for the event? 2. The designated reservation delegate should submit the Activity Request Form at Please allow for 3-5 business days for the Reservation Coordinators to process your request. 3. After the necessary processing time, you will receive correspondence from a The Department of Student Life Reservation Coordinator informing you of your reservation status. At this time you will know if you reservation is confirmed, denied or on hold and will be able to begin taking proper steps to finalize your event. Be sure not to advertise or make concrete plans until you know you have a space. 4. At this time your organization may move forward with finalizing all details for your on campus event. Please be sure to complete the following tasks in a timely manner: • Begin advertising for your event • Read your reservation confirmation and ensure that all outlined policies are adhered to • Read your reservation confirmation for accuracy in room set-ups and equipment needs STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 33

• Submit all necessary contract documents for approval (See the Department of Student Life Business Manager for details).

Available Programming Times

Student Organizations are able to and encouraged to program year round. University facilities are available for hosting events, meetings and information tables during the building’s operating hours. Exceptions to this include University Closed holidays and Final Exam Periods. The Final Exam Period of each semester is closed to public performances, dances, concerts, club sport competitions, use of the expression and assembly area, and similar extracurricular activities. Low impact activities such as officer meetings and general body meetings are permitted. Organizations are also able to host end of year banquets and awards ceremonies at this time.

Advanced Booking Timeline

All requests for reoccurring reservations on campus, meetings on campus or single instance events outside of the Student Center can be reserved beginning July 15 for Fall, November 15 for Spring and April 15 for Summer. * Exceptions to this policy are determined by the Department of Student Life. All organizations are able to book space in the Student Center for meetings one year in advance for an entire year at a time. Classroom schedules must be set before you can request classroom space for the semester. If space is not available in the Student Center for any of the dates requested, classroom space will not be available for booking until the class schedule is finalized. (See the dates above for advanced booking in classrooms.)


* The below policies represent the most often used policies for hosting events. Additional university policies may be communicated upon confirmation of your reservation. All policies should be upheld.


All approvals are contingent upon space reservation confirmation.


STUDENT CENTER TERRACE Amplified sound allowed ONLY between 12:30pm and 1:45pm Monday - Sunday. GAZEBO Amplified sound allowed ONLY between 12:30pm and 1:45pm Monday – Friday as well as Fridays between 5:00pm and 10:00pm; allowed between 8:00pm and 10:00pm Monday – Thursday; between 12pm and 10pm Saturday and Sunday. CAMPUS GREEN (EAST SIDE) Amplified sound allowed on the East end of the Green (nearest Kennesaw Hall) ONLY between 12:30pm and 1:45pm Monday through Saturday; between 11am and 10pm Sunday. CAMPUS GREEN (WEST SIDE) Amplified sound allowed on the West end of the Green (this includes Southwest nearest Rec Center, West nearest Student Center entrance at Bursar’s Office, and Northwest Grill area) from 11am to 10pm Monday - Sunday. THE COMMONS Amplified sound is allowed at the Commons ONLY between 12:30pm and 1:45pm Monday – Friday. Requests for Saturday and Sunday will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. 34 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

ALL OTHER OUTDOOR LOCATIONS Any outside areas on Main Campus not listed above will be determined on a case-by-case basis.


STUDENT CENTER The Student Center allows amplified sound, both built-in systems and additional PA systems, in all locations in the building. INDOOR PLAZA (Prillaman Hall) The Indoor Plaza is approved for use of a small group PA system. AUDITORIUMS Additional PA systems are approved to be used in auditoriums. ALL OTHER INDOOR LOCATIONS All areas with built-in audio/visual equipment are approved for use of the built-in system at any time. Additional audio equipment is not permitted for these areas. No Amplified Sound permitted during Finals Periods of each Semester *exceptions to this policy will be determined by the Campus Events Planning Committee. **Any amplified sound needed to conduct an academic class is exempt from the Amplified Sound Policy. on 7/11/2013

Approved by CEPC

Campus Green Use Policy

The Campus Green was designed for use primarily as an aesthetic feature for informal gatherings and light impact recreation. The Campus Green is the open area between the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, Kennesaw Hall, the Student Center, and the Burruss Building. The Campus Green is available for use by KSU students, faculty, and staff for organized activities and events with prior approval from the Department of Student Life. Requests will be evaluated specifically to ensure aesthetic preservation of the facility. KSU encourages casual use of the Campus Green, but in order to preserve the aesthetic quality of the space, there are some circumstances and events that are not permitted. These circumstances and events include, but are not limited to: • use of cleats or spiked shoes • golf practice or instruction • intramural events • activities using bicycles, skateboards, roller blades/skates, or vehicles • canopy tents larger than 10 feet by 10 feet • stages • any equipment that utilizes stakes As with all Kennesaw State University property, users are expected to remove any debris and report any damage that may occur during the use of the area. For information on using this space for your Student Organization, contact a Reservation Coordinator in the Department of Student Life at 7/423-6280 or send an email to

Event Integrity Policy

The details of your event may not be changed from the original request without completing the online Cancellation/ Change form found on the Department of Student Life homepage at under the forms section. If excessive changes to the details of the event occur, you may be asked to resubmit the Activity Request Form with updated information. For example, if a lecture becomes a concert or a seminar becomes a three-day workshop, you must cancel the STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 35

original reservation with the on-line cancellation/change form and submit a new Activity Request form. Transferring, loaning or sub-leasing a reservation or misrepresenting the intended use of the venue are serious matters that may result in immediate suspension of a group’s eligibility to use KSU facilities. If it is determined that a misrepresentation of any event request has occurred, cancellation of the event and possible loss of campus space use privileges may occur. It is important if you are working with an outside group, that their names be noted on the Activity Request Form and the nature of the event be listed.

Event Sponsor Responsibility

The sponsoring organization or department is responsible for the information provided when making a reservation and for designating an official contact person. The contact person and the advisor are responsible for the proper conduct of the event and for returning the facility or space to its original configuration. Large Event Policy “Large Events” are considered events that need to use the services and coordination of a number of campus units: Public Safety, Environmental Health & Safety, Strategic Safety & Security, Plant Operations/Building Services, Student Life, and University Events, to name a few. A large event encompasses many areas on campus and often includes the services of outside vendors, staging, lighting, and the like. A large event is also one that is open to the entire campus or the public, and must use the services of the above-named areas. Large events typically cost money, so groups requesting a large event must be able to provide a source of funding for the event. Most large events will incur extra costs to cover space and materials. If your organization plans to hold a large event, your advisor must be involved in the planning, execution, and resolution of the event. Because the nature of large events varies, there are no hard and fast rules related to large events. Each request for a large event will be handled on a case-by-case basis.


RSOs may sponsor slide shows, videotapes, or films on campus provided they do not charge admission or solicit donations for the showings and comply with all copyright regulations. This policy means that student organizations must obtain permission from the individuals who have the rights to the film prior to showing the film. Remember that your student organization may not charge any money nor accept any donations for the showing of a film. Further, organizations may not rent videos from local distributors or show personally owned items to mass audiences. This is a violation of the law. Please contact the Department of Student Life to learn how to obtain movie licensing or visit the Public Performance link under the forms section of

Copyright and Public Performance Regulations

This document has been designed to provide student organizations with all of the necessary information to successfully and legally show a film on campus. Section 110 of the 1984 Copyright Act provides a specific exemption to the licensing of what is clearly a public performance: “face to face teaching.” To qualify for the exemption, the showing must occur in a face-to-face teaching situation at a non-profit educational institution and meet ALL of the following six criteria: • Performances and displays of audiovisual works must be made from legitimate copies, including pre-recorded videocassettes, NOT copies from legitimate copies, and NOT copies from broadcasts (for example, I can’t tape my favorite episode of “Law and Order” and make it available for a public showing). • Performances and displays must be part of a systematic course of instruction and not for entertainment, recreation, or cultural value of any part of the audience. The instructor must be able to show how the motion picture contributes to the overall course study and syllabus. The course does not have to be a credit course, but must be one recognized by the university and for which people register (for example, showing must relate to an ongoing semester course). • Performances and displays must be given by the instructors or pupils, with no broadcasting from outside sources. • Performances and displays must be given in classrooms and other places devoted to instruction. The Student Center, residence hall lounge, cafeterias, and outdoor showings DO NOT QUALIFY. Student organizations cannot hold a 36 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

showing in a classroom to get around this regulation because the showing isn’t part of an ongoing course for which people have registered. • Performances and displays must be a part of the teaching activities of non-profit educational institutions. Businesses that conduct educational seminars and some technical schools do not qualify. • Attendance is limited to the instructors, pupils, and guest lecturers. Only people registered for the class may attend the screening. No fee specific to the showing may be charged. The bottom line: if your organization wants to show a film on campus for entertainment or recreation, you must pay the licensing fees associated with the film.

If you do decide to go forward with a movie, public performance or display

After you have selected the movie that you would like to view as part of a program, your first step is to purchase a public viewing license ($300.00 - $500.00) and rights to show the film in public, which is a public performance fee ($300.00 - $500.00). Even if you choose to show the movie for free, you are still required to purchase the copyrights. Federal copyright Laws protect all movies viewed in public areas regardless of format (35 mm, video tape or DVD). Video Tapes and DVDs that are available for purchase, rented from many commercial establishments, or checked out of the library are for home viewing purposes only.

What the Law Says

The present copyright law establishes the principal that a copyright is property and no one can use someone else’s property without permission of the owner or the owner’s licensing agent. To protect this property right, the law gives the copyright owner the right to license any public performance of the work with only a few exceptions to this provision. The law also permits the owner or licensing agent to collect a fee when others use the protected work. It is because of copyright enforcement efforts that schools are now hearing of their obligations under the law. By law, as well as by intent, the pre-recorded home videocassettes and videodiscs which are available in stores throughout the United States are for home use only - unless you have a license to show them elsewhere. The Federal Copyright Act (Title 17 of the United States Code) governs how copyrighted materials, such as movies, may be used. Neither the rental nor purchase of a videocassette carries with it the right to show the tape outside of the home. No license is required to view a videotape inside the home by a family or social acquaintances, and home videocassettes may also be shown, without a license, in certain narrowly defined face-to-face teaching activities (Federal Copyright Act, Title 17, section 110.1). All other showings of the home videocassettes are illegal unless they have been authorized by license. Taverns, restaurants, private clubs, prisons, lodges, factories, summer camps, public libraries, day-care facilities, parks and recreation departments, churches, and non-classroom use at schools and universities are all examples of situations where a public performance license must be obtained. This legal requirement applies regardless of whether an admission fee is charged, whether the institution or organization is commercial or non-profit, or whether a federal or state agency is involved. Businesses, institutions, organizations, companies or individuals wishing to engage in non-home showings of home videocassettes must secure licenses to do so - regardless of whether an admission or other fee is charged (Section 501). This legal requirement applies equally to profit-making organizations and nonprofit institutions (Senate Report No. 94473, page 59; House Report No. 94- 1476, page 62).

Penalties for Copyright Infringement

“Willful” infringement done for purposes of commercial or financial gain is a federal crime and is punishable as a felony, carrying a maximum sentence of up to five years in jail and/or a $150,000 fine. Even inadvertent infringers are subject to substantial civil damages, ranging from $500 to $20,000 for each illegal showing.

Face-to-Face Teaching

The face-to-face teaching exemption is valid only in situations where a teacher is present in a classroom, using a home STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 37

videocassette for the purpose of teaching to students in a so-called “face-to-face” manner. This educational exemption is narrowly defined and only applies to full-time, nonprofit academic institutions.

Why Is Hollywood Concerned About Such Performances?

The concept of “public performance” is central to copyright and the issue of protection for “intellectual property.” If a movie producer, an author, a computer programmer, or a musician does not retain ownership of his or her “work,” there would be little incentive for them to continue. There would be little chance of recouping their enormous investment in research and development, much less profits to turn back into future endeavors. Unauthorized public performances in the U.S. are estimated to rob the movie industry of between $1.5-$2.0 million each year alone. Unfortunately, unauthorized public performances are just the tip of the iceberg. The movie studios lose over $150 million annually due to pirated videotapes and several hundred million dollars more because of illegal satellite and cable TV receptions. Motion Picture Association: United States Copyright Office: Library:

Sponsored Outdoor Recreation

Kennesaw State University recognizes that many activities in which students participate carry some risk of accidental injury. However, for the purpose of applying these policies, such activities are defined as those that carry a recognized risk of accidental injury. It is also recognized that the potential for such injury is substantially reduced upon the implementation of policies and procedures that ensure that reasonable and due care is observed pursuant to safety and participation in such activities.

Use of Sports and Leisure Equipment Owned by the University

The Department of Recreation & Wellness has equipment available that may be checked out for outdoor recreation activities by KSU students, staff, faculty and organized organizations. • First priority for equipment use will be given to the organization whose budget funded the equipment purchase. • Equipment may be used by other KSU organizations. • The organizations must follow all applicable rules set forth in the policies created by the Department of Sports & Recreation. • The faculty/staff or student member of the group sponsoring the activity will check out Equipment. This individual will also be responsible for returning the equipment in clean, working condition. • If equipment is not being used by an organized group, it may be checked out to KSU students, faculty and staff on an individual basis, under these guidelines: • The individual must be trained and, where appropriate, certified in the activity. • The individual may be required to submit a signed Release, Waiver of Liability and Covenant Not to Sue form before checking out equipment (proof of insurance sufficient to cover injuries may also be requested). • The individual will be responsible for returning the equipment in clean, working condition. The individual must pay any costs for damage or cleaning. • Nature Bound and Intramural equipment rental may require fees and refundable deposits.


When space is not available in the Student Center every effort will be made to find space in an academic classroom building. If a classroom is booked for you, your advisor is responsible for that space. They must get you into the room, make sure nothing is misused and see that the room is left in proper condition. They are responsible for making sure the space is secure when you leave. Your advisor has to contact the Locksmith by email to request access be put on his/her ID Card for the date, time and room of that meeting. Campus Police will not open a room for you and you should not go to the offices in the building asking office personnel to open a door for you. If you have not made proper arrangements prior to the meeting, you will not get in the room. For after hour use of classroom space, your advisor must be present or Campus Police may ask you to leave the building when it is time to lock down. 38 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

The primary use of classrooms is for academic classes; therefore, leave any classroom as you found it and ready for the next class. If there is a problem for the next class, the last group in the room may be responsible for any damage or may lose the use of the room for future dates.


Requests to use auditoriums on campus require additional time to process. Please allow 5-7 business days as these locations require approval to book. Most auditoriums require that the advisor (or a designated faculty or staff member) be present throughout the entire event. Auditorium Usage Regulations: When using this space please adhere to the following guidelines: - no food or drink is allowed in the auditorium - do not move furniture - do not move/rearrange any of the furniture on the stage - All trash must be removed from the room once the event is over - be sure that all A/V equipment and lights are left in the off position - be sure to secure the room before you leave. All doors should be tightly shut - *Depending on Area* The organization’s advisor or another faculty/staff member must be present for the duration of the reservation

Reserving Tabling Locations

Using tables to promote your organization is a popular option for student organizations. Tables can be used to display literature, disseminate information, raise money, and for other forms of expression. Any outdoor location and any large, open, indoor location can be appropriate for tables, provided that the table does not disrupt other university functions or interfere with academic instruction, and pedestrian or vehicular traffic. Some popular tabling locations on campus are: the Campus Green, the Student Center Atrium, Student Center Terrace, in the library lobby, Social Science Atrium, or The Commons Patio

Some additional things to remember about tables:

• Each table must have a sign or some type of literature that identifies the student organization sponsoring the table. • The organization sponsoring the table is responsible for cleaning up any litter at the end of use. • A member of the sponsoring organization must staff the table at all times.

VIOLATIONS No Show Violations

Any organization, department, or individual that fails to notify the Department of Student Life of a cancellation prior to the event will be considered a no show. Written notification of the no show will be sent to the individual listed on the reservation with a copy sent to the advisor. After two no show violations, reservation privileges will be suspended for one academic semester unless otherwise determined by the Department of Student Life administration.

Misuse of Space

In order for student organization to continue to enjoy the privilege of using campus space, organizations will be held to the University/Department of Student Life policies. Any misuse of space by an organization could result in suspension of the organization’s reservation privileges.


The Director for the Department of Student Life, in cooperation with the respective reservation coordinators, reserves the right to assess the severity of the violation and/or any past facility misuse history by the student organization to determine an appropriate sanction. STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 39

Space Allocation and Contracts

When assigning space, the Department of Student Life and the Campus Events Planning Committee (CEPC) take into consideration the following elements: • Availability of the facility or space • Maximum capacity of the facility or space • Best use of facilities and their suitability for various activities and functions • An event will not be approved if it displaces a class or other academic event or is likely to disrupt the academic environment. Contracts should not be submitted for approval until a space confirmation has been received.

TYPES OF EVENTS Event Specific Polices

Only RSOs may request permission to set up donation sites for items (i.e. money, canned goods, clothes, etc.) in University venues. Fundraising events and charity events must be planned in cooperation with the Department of Student Life and the Office of University Development. Please complete the appropriate forms found online for fundraisers or donation drives. They can be found under forms at Please contact the Department of Student Life (770/423-6280) for assistance, or come to the office (Student Center, room 274).

Public Assemblies and Amplified Sound

The freedoms of speech, expression, and assembly are fundamental rights of all persons and are central to the mission of the University. Students, faculty, and staff have the right to assemble, to speak, and to attempt to attract the attention of others, and the corresponding rights to hear the speech of others when they choose to listen, and to ignore the speech of others when they choose not to listen. However, these activities are subject to the well-established right of colleges and universities to regulate time, place, and manner so that the activities do not intrude upon or interfere with the academic programs and administrative processes of the University. The University shall not discriminate on the basis of the political, religious, philosophical, ideological, or academic viewpoint expressed by any person. University persons and organizations may publicly assemble on campus in the designated area assigned to that articular RSO or department. At the time of the assembly, the persons assembling are permitted to be in the designated area, as long as there is no disruption to other University activities. Please note that non-RSOs may exercise freedom of expression on campus as long as the sponsoring person/organization complete the Freedom of Assembly Registration Form found online at For more information, contact the Associate Director of Student Life.

Large Event Planning

Some large events require significant pre-planning and involvement from many University departments (i.e. detailed setups, custodial, security, catering, parking, audio visual, etc.). These events may include but are not limited to conferences, concerts, guest speakers, performances, and seminars. Each large event request will be considered on a case-by-case basis after submission of an Activity Request Form. Large events may require review by the Campus Events Planning Committee. Due to the extensive planning and coordination involved in holding a large event, very specific guidelines have been established to ensure that all parties communicate and work together to host an event that is fun, safe, and will best showcase Kennesaw State University.

Blood Drives

Volunteer Kennesaw is the designated campus entity responsible for the coordination of blood drives. Their office is located in the Carmichael Student Center, Room 264. They can be reached by phone at 770-423-6700.

Cookouts and BBQ’s

•Grilling events must be reserved with and approved by the Department of Student Life or the Department of Events Services. • An activity request form must be filled out to hold a cookout on campus or to use the existing grills. • All campus grilling must end by 9 p.m. 40 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

• Only the charcoal grills installed on campus grounds may be used. • Portable gas and charcoal grills are prohibited. • Flammable items such as charcoal and lighter fluid may not be stored on campus, except in approved fireproof cabinets. • A fire extinguisher is required which will be provided by EHS. You must contact the EHS Department to make arrangements for pickup, (678) 797-2410. • The individual reserving the space is responsible for safety during the grilling event. • Use of alcohol is prohibited. • The organizer is responsible for ensuring that any burning charcoal is completely extinguished with water after the grilling is complete, and that the site is left as clean. Additional information on KSU Environmental Health and Safety policies on cookouts can be found on the activity request form under grilling.


Fundraising events and charity events must be planned in advance. Prior to scheduling any fundraiser, please complete the online Activity Request Form at For more specific questions, call 7/423-6280 for assistance or visit the Student Center, Room 274.

General Meetings

The Student Center is the most appropriate indoor venue for any group that wants to serve food or have amplified sound at its event. Due to the high demand for the Student Center rooms, classrooms may be used for meetings where food will not be served and where amplified sound will not be used.


Kennesaw State University prohibits gambling on campus. In order for your organization to hold this event you must agree to uphold the following regulations: • Games can be played as long as there is no buy-in and the game is not played with money. • No cash prizes can be given as awards to winners. • Selling tickets for non-cash prize drawings, refreshments or other non-game related items, can raise money.


“Raffle” means any scheme or procedure whereby one or more prizes are distributed by chance among persons who have paid or promised consideration for a chance to win such prize. Such term shall also include door prizes that are awarded to persons attending meetings or activities provided that the cost of admission to such meetings or activities does not exceed the usual cost of similar activities where such prizes are not awarded. – GEORGIA STATE CODE 16-12-22.3 By definition, the State of Georgia considers a raffle and a lottery to be one and the same under most conditions: It is the intention of the General Assembly that only nonprofit, tax-exempt churches, schools, civic organizations, or related support organizations; nonprofit organizations qualified under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code, as amended; or bona fide nonprofit organizations approved by the sheriff, which are properly licensed pursuant to this Code section shall be allowed to operate raffles. – GEORGIA STATE CODE 16-12-22.1(a) Since most RSOs are not truly qualified to conduct official raffles in the State of Georgia, the Department of Student Life staff members suggest that student organizations hold free drawings in which no money is exchanged for the chance to win the prize to be raffled. Organizations planning to hold a ticket sale, raffle or free drawing must complete the Activity Request form for this event.

Guest Speakers

RSOs may present guest speakers who may make speeches, give performances, or lead discussions in indoor or outdoor locations approved by the Department of Student Life. A guest speaker is a speaker or performer who is not a student, faculty member, or staff member. STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 41

Guest speakers may distribute literature to persons who attend the event, but not to others who have not chosen to attend the event. The guest speaker may not accost potential listeners who have not chosen to attend the event. Finally, a guest speaker may not solicit for his or her off-campus business, organization, or service. When presenting a guest speaker, the Registered Student Organization must make clear that the organization, and not the University, invited the speaker, and that the views expressed by the speaker are his or her own and do not necessarily represent the views of the University. There are times when the contract will request that the artist/performer be able to sell merchandise, such as CDs, DVDs, and books. Legal Affairs must approve all merchandise sales as part of the contract. Artists/performers may not assume that they can sell their merchandise without getting prior permission.


To ensure the safety of students, faculty, and staff, RSOs may be required to request campus security for on-campus events. Organizations may not hire private security for an on campus event. To arrange KSU security at a Registered Student Organization event, complete the Activity Request Form first to request space. Security may be required for your event by the Director of the Department of Student Life, the Department of Student Life Reservation Coordinator or CEPC. The cost will be the responsibility of your organization. Your Department of Student Life Reservation Coordinator will assist your RSO in arranging security for on campus events as necessary. Depending on the scale of the event, a meeting to discuss your organization’s needs may have to be arranged.

Audio/Video Equipment

The Department of Student Life Reservation Coordinators arrange several pieces of equipment for use by RSOs when requested on the Activity Request Form. Some examples of available equipment include microphones, portable sound systems, two way radios, and projectors. Please indicate the need for such items when completing the online Activity Request Form.


Public assembly events involve various risk factors associated with having large numbers of people in one location. The primary risk factors are the high occupant density, occupants that are not familiar with the building, and in some cases darkness. These risks can be managed through proper event planning and management. The health, safety, and welfare of Kennesaw State University students and employees, and guests attending an event must be managed and secured for any event held on campus. The event organizers, whether students, KSU employees, an outside organization and whether planning individually or collectively have a prime responsibility of protecting the health, safety and welfare of everyone working at, attending the event or likely to be affected by the event. It is important to recognize and appreciate the fact that planning for effective health and safety management should start at the same time as the planning for all other aspects of the proposed event. The types of events held on campus vary enormously from graduation ceremonies to conferences, seminars, performances, concerts, to students’ functions, among many others. In addition, the size and complexity of each event will vary from one event to another. Nevertheless all events are covered by certain legal requirements, but the arrangements that may be needed will vary according to the event. The Department of Environmental Health, Safety & Risk Management has developed an Event Safety Guideline which provides basic standards and safety measures through which it is hoped to encourage a consistency approach to environmental health and safety management of event while leaving scope for flexibility, taking into account the nature, size and complexity of the event. If an RSO is planning an event outside of a traditional meeting or small scale event has specific questions about risk, injury, use of fire, chemicals, foam, inflatables, etc. Please be sure to review the detailed procedural guidelines online at or contact the Department of Environmental Health & Safety: Tel: 770-499-3321; Fax: 770-420-4363; Email:


Sale or Distribution of Food on Campus

The Kennesaw State University follows all local and state health and sanitation regulations and guidelines with regard to food handling. Pursuant to distribution or sale of food and beverages on or in university properties, including off-campus preparation for distribution or sale on campus, students must have a current Food Handler’s Permit, which may be obtained by completing the online Food Handler’s Permit Form found at Exceptions to this policy will be permitted only with prior approval from the Director of The Department of Student Life.

Food Distribution Sanitation Requirements Food and Equipment

• Avoid preparing hazardous or bacteria prone foods at home. Food served should be prepared on the site of the event (cook outs) or in a permitted establishment that has proper facilities for preparing food and sanitizing equipment and utensils. • All food items that will be prepared must be from an approved source (sources that comply with the law - FDA, USDA, State Health Department), such as a grocery store, discount warehouse, etc. and be properly labeled. • Proper temperature must be maintained when transporting food and once it is on site. Hazardous foods must be maintained at proper temperature: 41º F or colder or 140º F or hotter at all times. • Cooking Temperatures should be monitored closely following these guidelines: o Brisket (Raw Meat) – 145ºF o Hamburger Meat – 155ºF o Hot Dogs – 155ºF o Chicken (poultry) - 165ºF • After the food is cooked it must be held at a temperature of 140º F or higher. • Thermometers must be available and used to monitor temperatures of hazardous foods. • Avoid cross contamination of cooked and un-cooked foods. • All ice must be from an approved source and arrive at the site in sealed bags and be handled in a way that protects it from contamination. Ice used to fill drink cups must be stored separate from ice used to store food. Use scoops with handles for dispensing ice. Do not use cups. • Proper hand washing facilities must be available and used (a water container with spigot, a bucket to collect wastewater, hand soap, hand sanitizer, and disposable paper towels are needed). • If unable to appropriately sanitize all utensils opt for plastic and disposable types. • Always keep bleach available to sanitize all utensils, food preparation, and food service surfaces. Proper dilution is 1 tablespoon of bleach to one gallon of water (100 ppm). • All food contact equipment, utensils, and surfaces must be in good repair and need to be cleaned and sanitized with the bleach solution above. • Foods, including condiments, which are displayed for self-service must be protected by the use of food shields or other effective means (i.e., pump dispenser, squeeze bottle, avoid open containers and spreading utensils). • Only single service items may be used to serve the public, such as plastic utensils and paper ware if food is selfprepared. • Waste receptacles must be provided for the public to properly dispose of trash. • All wastes, including wastewater, resulting from the booths operation must be disposed of in a sanitary manner.


• Food handler representative shall have permit available for inspection at any time during the event. • No person shall work in a food service booth while infected with a communicable disease that can be transmitted by or while afflicted with a boil, an infected wound, or an acute respiratory infection. No person suspected of being affected with a disease or condition shall be working in a food service booth. • The food handler representative or person in charge of the food service booth shall have the responsibility to remove a food handler if he/she has reason to suspect that he/she has contracted any such communicable disease or has become a carrier of such a disease.

Personal Hygiene

Food handlers shall wash their hands thoroughly with warm water and soap, then dry them off and follow with a hand sanitizer on these occasions: STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 43

• Before starting work • After visiting the toilet • After coughing or sneezing into the hands or handkerchief • After taking money, eating, drinking, smoking, etc.

Food Handler’s Practices

• Food handlers must wear gloves and hair restraints when preparing or serving food • Food handlers shall consume food in designated areas only. • Food handlers shall not use tobacco in any form while engaged in food preparation or service, nor while in areas where equipment and utensils are washed. • Food handlers shall carry and serve food in a sanitary manner. • Food handlers shall handle glasses, plates and chinaware in a sanitary manner. • Food handlers shall use sanitary plastic disposable gloves if food must be manipulated by hand. • Food handlers shall refrain from sneezing or coughing onto food. • Food handlers shall use only clean and sanitary equipment. • Food handlers shall use separate cutting boards, blocks, tables, grinders, slicers, and other utensils for raw and cooked food. If this is not possible and the same equipment and utensils must be used, food handlers shall thoroughly clean and sanitize equipment used for raw food after each use. • Food handlers shall handle food and drink in a manner to prevent cross contamination of bacteria.


While RSOs are advised to plan their activities and events in such a way as to avert crisis, it is important to proactively plan how to respond in the event one should occur. Intentional development of a crisis response plan prior to an event or activity will empower the organization to effectively respond. As a student leader, it is important to understand that crisis can happen to you and your organization. If this happens, know that you are not alone. Reach out to the Department of Student Life to assist you. It is important to be aware of your own feelings, perceptions, and issues so that you can monitor your ability to cope with the difficult situation. Should a crisis or incident happen during a student organization activity, contact 911 for off campus events and/or (770) 423-6666 for emergencies and (770) 423-6206 for non-emergency calls to get appropriate help. • There is a network of outdoor emergency phones on and around campus. These phones are mounted in call boxes, have a light on top, and are clearly marked EMERGENCY. Pushing the call button activates a direct phone line with the University Police Department that will automatically pinpoint the caller’s location. • Notify your advisor if she or he was not part of the activity. • Notify all organization members in a meeting. • Notify the Department of Student Life (ST 274) at (770) 423-6280 in the event of a serious injury or death.

Statements about the incident

Consult with the Department of Student Life, your university advisor and/or national representative to discuss what things you should discuss in a post-incident press conference or release.


The Department of Student Life assigns space according to the most appropriate use of the venue as the event is described on the Activity Request Form. The demands on the venue as well as the nature and the size of the event will be considered in determining space assignments. Room reservations can only be processed when the online Activity Request Form has been submitted by an authorized representative of the RSO. When making reservations, please organize the room reservation request within your group 44 | KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY | DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT LIFE

before requesting rooms to ensure you do not send duplicate requests. The Department of Student Life Reservation Coordinators will process your request within 3-5 business days. General-purpose rooms and classrooms may be reserved by RSOs by filling out an online Activity Request Form found at Please complete the form thoroughly and provide any additional details pertaining to your event. Room requests are processed in the order that they are received and are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Please be aware that some miscellaneous rooms or classrooms in buildings across campus may not be available to student organizations. Some rooms are controlled by the College or Dean’s office in that particular area and may not be available for use by student organizations. Notice: Requests for classrooms are offered to RSOs only after all courses/classes and academic bookings have been reserved. This limits the available space on campus for RSOs because of priority order in the reservation process. Please be aware that room availability has been decreasing each semester and your organization should be mindful to plan your requests accordingly. The Department of Student Life will do its best to accommodate your organization, but there is only limited general purpose classroom space available for room assignments. Two members (the president and one additional member) from each RSO will be authorized to submit reservation requests on behalf of the RSO.

Space Reservation Denials

The Department of Student Life reserves the right to deny space usage for a group or event if it is programmatically or operationally difficult to accommodate. The Department of Student Life on an individual basis will consider appeals. Occasionally, a request will be referred to the President’s Cabinet for final approval. If there is no space available that fits the time, date and size needed, or the request is not submitted within the appropriate time frame to ensure the event’s success, the request will be denied.

Academic Precedence

The Academic Calendar is imported directly into the Events Management System (EMS) to avoid conflicts. All reservations in academic spaces hold the risk of being moved due to an academic class being scheduled in that space at any point during the semester. Occasionally, an academic class is placed in a room where an event is booked. The academic class will take precedence and The Department of Student Life Reservation Coordinator will make every effort to resolve the issue and reassign space assignment when possible. The Reservation Coordinators take a proactive role in reassigning academically bumped events prior to the reservation date.


Should it be necessary to cancel a reservation, the original requestor must fill out and submit the cancellation/change form, within two (2) business days, to ensure consistency of communication with the organization. Any student organization or university department that fails to honor a reservation without canceling two (2) business days in advance may have future use of facilities restricted. Student organizations that fail to cancel an event will be categorized as no shows (see No Show Violations policy). Organizers are responsible for removal of promotional signage and notification of cancellation to all participants.

Administrative Cancellations/Changes

In rare instances, confirmed reservations may be changed or cancelled if they are found to conflict with another function or academic need. The Department of Student Life and University Events staff will work with the organization or department to provide alternative accommodations whenever possible.

Inclement Weather Cancellations

When campus is closed due to inclement weather, your event will automatically be cancelled. The student group is responsible for re-submitting the event request, if they wish to try for another date, but due to existing campus obligations, we are not always able to accommodate the re-schedule request. Due to the high demand for space, rain STUDENT ORGANIZATION MANUAL 2013-2014| 45

locations will not be available for events booked outdoors except for Presidential Events.

These policies were adopted from the following institutions:

• University of Georgia • Georgia State University • Bradley University • North Carolina State University

Approved by the KSU Student Government Association 1-20-11.


The University has the discretion in making revisions to this manual to remain current and consistent with our current practices or changes in local, state or federal law. Thus, the University retains the right to modify or discontinue any policies, programs or procedures described in the publications unless doing so would conflict with the terms of some other express agreement. Material in the SO Manual is intended to be accurate at the time of printing. However, unintentional errors may exist and policies, procedures, regulations, as well as event dates, times and locations may have changed since publication. Kennesaw State University, a member of the University System of Georgia, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation in employment or provision of services. Department of Student Life SO Manual. Last Update 9.17.2013.

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. ~ Heraclitus

You will always miss 100% of the shots you don’t take ~ Wayne Gretzky



Academic Precedence; classroom use 45 Advisors 20 Amplified sound 35, 40 Approved vendors 31 Audio/Video Equipment 42 Auditorium usage 39 Award opportunities 6


Banners 11 Blood Drives 40 Campus Green, Use Policy 35 Campus Postings Policy 12 Cancellations of room reservations 45 Cash Advances 24 Caterers 32 Certified Student Organizations 5 Chalk, use of 12 Club Funds 23 Code of Conduct Specific to Student Organizations 16 Collection Boxes & Exhibits 14 Constitutions and Bylaws 19 Cookouts and BBQs 40 Copyright and Public Performance 36 Creating an effective organization 19 Crisis Response 44


Disciplinary Procedures for Student Organizations 16 Disclaimer 46 Distribution of Literature 15 Duties of the Department of Student Life 4


Event Crisis Management 44 Event Integrity Policy 35 Events; types 40 Film Policy 36 Flyers 11 Food Handler’s Practices 44 Food; purchasing 31 Funding for Organizations 22 Fundraising 20, 41


Gambling 41 Guest Speakers 41 Hazing Policy 8 Health & Safety Policy 42 Inclement Weather Cancellations 45 Jurisdiction Over Student Organizations 4 KSU Posting Regulations 11


Large Event Planning 40 Line-Item Organizations 5 Logo Policy 18


Newspaper Racks 15 Off-Campus Bank Account 30 Operating Funds 23 Original receipts 24 OWL Radio 15


Planning an Event on Campus 33 Policies that Govern Reservations 34 Privileges Extended to student organizations 6 Program funds 23 Programming times 34 Promotional items 30 Purchasing Guidelines 23


Raffles 41 Raising Funds 20 Reimbursements that exceed $50 24 Removal of signs 16 Renewal of Organization Information 6 Reserving Tabling Locations 39 Responsibilities of Student Organizations 5 Role of the Advisor 20 Room Reservations 33, 38, 44



SABAC 20, 25, 26 Sale or Distribution of Food on Campus 43 Security, at events 42 Selecting an Advisor 21 Signs 15 Sponsored Outdoor Recreation 38 Sports and Leisure Equipment 38 Student Activity Budget Advisory Committee 20, 25, 26 Student Activity Fees; use of 22 Student Media Policy 7


The Golden O’s 6 The Sentinel 15 Travel Funding Request 28 Travel information 28 Travel reimbursement 30 T-Shirts 30 Types of Funding Requests that SABAC will Consider 26 Types of Student Organizations 4

U -Z

Use of KSU Trademarked Univ. name, marks, and logos 17 Vendors; approved list 31 Visual Identity Program 17

Things do not change, we do. ~ Henry David Thoreau


Kennesaw State Student Organization Manual  

SO Manual Policy & guideline manual for Kennesaw State University's student organizations, under the Department of Student Life.

Kennesaw State Student Organization Manual  

SO Manual Policy & guideline manual for Kennesaw State University's student organizations, under the Department of Student Life.