AKSARBEN NEIGHBORHOOD TOUR Sunday, October 2, 2016 Noon – 5:00 p.m.
TOUR RULES & GUIDELINES ··Admission is by ticket only, no exceptions. ··All children must have a ticket. ··Be aware that all of the tour sites are not ADA accessible. Needs of those with mobility impairments will be accommodated within the physical limits of the buildings and the availability of tour volunteers to provide assistance. ··Do not block driveways or alleyways. ··Respect the owner’s property. If a door is shut, do not open it. If a drawer is closed, do not open it. ··No smoking, eating or drinking in any of the properties. ··No photography, unless approved by the homeowner. ··No pets. ··Only use restrooms in specified locations. Restrooms for patrons are available at Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church and Tracks Lounge at 1506 South 60th Street. ··Booties may be required to be worn in some of the tour locations. In consideration of the permission granted the tour participant to enter the home and premises on the tour, the tour participant hereby agrees to enter the tour homes and premises at his or her own risk and hereby releases the respective property owner and Restoration Exchange Omaha from any and all claims or causes of action due to injury to person or property that may arise during the tour. Architects can earn five AIA CEUs for signing in at a minimum of seven sites. Ask for the sign in sheet at each site.
HUSKER TICKET RAFFLE Enter to win a pair of football tickets to the Nebraska vs. Purdue game on October 22, 2016. Raffle tickets are $5 each or 3 for $10 - and/or fill out a post-tour survey for a FREE entry. Thank you to Leo A Daly for donating the tickets.
DRIVE BY SITES: a Wohlnerâ€™s Grocery Store - now J. Coco and
Legend Comics & Coffee 5203-5207 Leavenworth Street Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the three-bay, one-story, brick, commercial structure, with a basement, was built about 1920.
B Fargo Home
850 South 52nd Street The brick, American foursquare home lists as its first resident John Soke, a laborer and fireman for the Omaha & Council Bluffs Street Railway Co.
C Washington Elementary School
5519 Mayberry Street The school opened in 1923 with 94 pupils and three teachers. In 1926 the first wing was completed, followed with additions in 1929 and 1936 and renovations in 2002-2003. Today 310 students attend the neighborhood grade school.
D St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church
1725 South 60th Street The church started in 1926 holding Sunday School at West Lawn School at 63rd and Frances Streets. In 1925 Kountze Memorial Church bought land at the current location and the Sunday School met in what is now the basement. In 1955 a church was built on top of the basement. During construction the congregation met at Belle Ryan Elementary School across the street. The church was completed in 1956. In 1971 an educational wing was added, and in later years an elevator and bell tower were constructed.
E Pickard School
2105 South 63rd Street In 1925 Oscar Pickard gave land to build a fourroom brick school replacing the former West Lawn School, which had been at the site since 1889. An addition was added in 1935. When Belle Ryan Elementary School was completed in 1954, Pickard School was closed, although it reopened to alleviate the crowding at Belle Ryan. In 1982 Sarah Seldin converted the former school into its current use as condominiums. . 2 .
S 58th St
S 60th St
S 57th St
Rees St Pacic St Pierce St
S 55th St
S 56th St
S 58th St
S 60th St
S 63rd St
S 61st Ave
Walnut St Shirley St
Schroeder Vogel Park
S 52nd St
TOUR SITES: R Registration and Tour Site Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church: 5529 Leavenworth Street
1 2 3 4 5
5611 Leavenworth Street
6 7 8 9
5522 Marcy Street
5501 Leavenworth Street 1301 South 52 Street nd
5844 Pine Street
5848 Hickory Street
1310 South 63rd Street
6239 Poppleton Avenue
6024 Poppleton Avenue
Saddle Creek Road
S 63rd St
B Mason St
S 55th St
AKSARBEN HISTORY | B The AKSARBEN organization formed in 1895 with the purpose of keeping the Nebraska State Fair from being moved from Omaha to Lincoln. The fair board had issued an ultimatum to Omaha to provide entertainment “other than saloons, gambling houses, and honky tonks.” A group of prominent businessmen developed a plan to procure the floats from that year’s Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans for use at the fair. While there to retrieve the floats, they decided to adopt New Orleans’ Krewe concept whereby multiple dues-paying groups put on parades and balls, and supported charitable causes. The name Ak-Sar-Ben was adopted after Dudley Smith asked, “Why not reverse the name of our beloved state, since everything seems to be going backwards these days?” And since they had saved the fair for the time being, the group became the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben. The organization grew and flourished over the next century, dedicating itself to promoting agriculture, education, and other good causes. As a long-time and influential group, its name would be attached to many other entities including their own extensive entertainment and exhibition complex (Ak-Sar-Ben Field, Track, and Coliseum), a train (the Ak-Sar-Ben Zephyr, operated by the CB&Q Railroad between Lincoln and Chicago), a bridge (when the Knights bought the O&CB Street Railway’s Douglas Street Bridge in 1938), two hockey teams, a stock show and rodeo, a business district and numerous businesses, a neighborhood, and eventually, a university campus.
AK-SAR-BEN FIELD In 1901, the State Fair was officially relocated to Lincoln, frustrating Ak-Sar-Ben’s earlier efforts to keep it in Omaha. Ironically, that left behind a racetrack built for the fair in the late 19th century and located southwest of Elmwood Park. That track was later refurbished and hosted auto races for Ak-Sar-Ben’s fall festival. In the mid-teens, the Ak-Sar-Ben festivals incorporated motorcycle races at Stadium Speedway and auto races at the adjacent East Omaha Speedway, both being lumber racetracks located near the Missouri River. In 1919, the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben purchased multiple parcels of land west of 63rd Street between Pacific and Center Streets, totaling 200 acres and including the old racetrack. They quickly built a new track (on the skeleton of the old one), a grandstand, and temporary horse barns. The rush was to accommodate the Omaha Driving Club (harness racing) whose barns and oval track in Benson were being demolished and plowed up for residential development. Based on patriotic impulse after the end of World War I, possible names floated for the new complex included Victory Field, Peace Park and Pershing Field, but it became known primarily as Ak-Sar-Ben Field or just Ak-Sar-Ben. Over the decades, the Knights implemented their civic dream of developing a large entertainment and exhibition complex, funded by memberships, admissions and racing revenue.
. 4 .
THE NEIGHBORHOOD Early Omaha always enjoyed rapid growth, as its economy was bolstered by multiple industries including railroads, manufacturing, meatpacking, and wholesaling. Expansion generally progressed westward from the river, eventually incorporating independent towns such as Dundee and Benson. Expansion of residential development was greatly enabled by extension of the streetcar lines. Specific to the Ak-Sar-Ben area, the streetcar line along Leavenworth Street was extended to Elmwood Park in 1910. By the 1920s, a line also ran along South 60th Street, then west along Woolworth Avenue, and then south on 63rd Street to Shirley Street. Development of the area was also influenced by the establishment of Ak-Sar-Ben Field itself. The Byron Reed Company advertised large lots on 20 acres at 64th and Center in a development called Ak-Sar-Ben Acres. Many real estate ads over the next several decades touted properties being near or overlooking Ak-Sar-Ben Field. Over the years, references to properties in the general area gradually changed to a simple Ak-SarBen label, and in 1973, the Omaha World-Herald classified ads introduced a column heading that included the designation â€œAk-Sar-Ben.â€? Today the Aksarben area is a thriving neighborhood filled with well-kept older homes and the University of Nebraska at Omaha and Aksarben Village within walking distance.
R 5529 LEAVENWORTH STREET MT. CALVARY LUTHERAN CHURCH BUILT: 1934 ���
HISTORY Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church began in 1922, when the Elsasser family moved from their 20th and Spring Street home to 2311 South 48th Avenue. The area was quite undeveloped with no church nearby. The family invited Rev. Titus Lang, pastor at their former Cross Lutheran Church, to hold services and classes in their home for their family. They soon invited others in the neighborhood to attend. By the end of 1923, 14 children were attending Sunday School in the Elsasser home. At this point, the District Board for Missions saw the need for a missionary in the area and called Rev. W.W. Stoeppelwerth to come from Scottsbluff in early 1924. The Board bought two lots at the corner of 52nd Street and Woolworth Avenue and laid plans for construction of a chapel. Mt. Calvary Lutheran Chapel, at 1421 South 52nd Street, was completed on Dec. 21, 1924. Esther Wefer served as principal of the school, and Rev. Stoeppelwerth served as pastor of Mt. Calvary and president of the Omaha Lutheran Publicity organization until he returned to his native Kansas in 1926. Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church was officially admitted to the Missouri Synod on August 18, 1931. By 1932, Mount Calvary had purchased property at 56th and Leavenworth Streets for construction of a new church, causing some controversy since it was directly across the street from . 6 .
Central United Presbyterian Church. Concern centered around parking and “over churching,” with too many churches in close proximity. The move was finally approved by the Omaha Council of Churches and the Mission board of the Missouri Synod. During the summer of 1934, the church advertised for bids for its new building. The estimated cost was $12,500. Architect Harvey C. Peterson designed the building and A. Borchmann was the builder. Construction began on August 10, and the cornerstone - which contained a copper-box time capsule - was laid on September 23. The building, with furnishings, cost $13,700 according to church records. The new church was dedicated on December 9, 1934, kicking off a week of celebration activities. The school remained at the former location of the church, until the roof caught fire on March 28, 1949. In 1950, construction on the new school began, and the first story was dedicated. In 1960, a second story was added to the school. Mt. Calvary Lutheran School closed in 2014 and now provides space for martial arts classes and Boy Scout and Girl Scout meetings. In 2004, an extensive renovation of the church property’s west side took place, and soon work will begin to renovate the church’s organ.
1 5611 LEAVENWORTH STREET MINIER/ ANDERSON HOME BUILT: 1925 ���
HISTORY This English Tudor Revival home has seen its fair share of prominent residents. Millard M. Robertson spent a reported $50,000 to build the home in 1925. A laundry tycoon, Robertson and his wife, Jessie, were president and vice president of Evans Laundry Co. and had a controlling interest in the Omaha Towel Supply Co. Millard served in the state House of Representatives during the 1921 and 1922 session. After Millard’s death in 1939, Jessie sold the house to Irvin Svoboda of the Svoboda Monument Co., but stayed close, moving next door to 5613 Leavenworth Street. In 1942, Rudy C. Mueller, president of Nebraska’s Frye Aircraft Co., bought the home for approximately $15,000. However, the family’s stay was short lived, as daughter Mary Susan Mueller contracted polio in 1946. The home was put on sale due to Mary’s illness, and in 1947 sold to Mr. and Mrs. Max Novak of Novak & Sons Real Estate & Rentals. Heavily involved in the Washington School Parent-Teacher Association, the Novak family chaired the “world fair” put on by the school in 1957. For several years, the home went through periods of vacancy and short-term owners, until it was bought in 1966 by Lieut. Col. and Mrs. Winston G. Miller. Winston and his wife took pride in the home, and even . 8 .
opened their garden to a tour sponsored by the Women’s Guild Board of the Meyer Children’s Rehabilitation Institute in 1979.
IMPROVEMENTS The current owners William Minier, MD, and Rebecca Anderson, JD, MS, bought the home in 1986. They worked with Barry Larson Construction and Marilyn Hansen ASID in 1992 to renovate the conservatory - “held up by paint and carpenter ants” - and completely updated their kitchen in 1994, with the project winning an ASID award. The home features an Inglenook with a shortwave radio built in above the fireplace, Bradbury & Bradbury wallpaper, and built in bookcases in the library. Plaster detail on the the dining room ceiling has been restored. Historical pictures taken by Louis R. Bostwick show the home retains much of its original character. Space above the carriage house, once home to hired help, now serves as an Airbnb.
2 5522 MARCY STREET THOMPSON HOME BUILT: 1936 ���
HISTORY Einar Petersen Christensen, a clerk at Omaha Elevator Co., bought the land for this house on May 15, 1936 from Minnie Morey. The Christensen family lived in this house for 25 years. Einar was active in the Danish Brotherhood and Sisterhood of Nebraska, serving as president in 1937. The Christiansens were part of a group that welcomed Crown Princess Ingrid and Crown Prince Christian Frederik of Denmark and Iceland to Omaha on April 19, 1939.
IMPROVEMENTS The current owners bought the English Tudor Revival home in 1993. In 1997 they finished the basement and in 1999 rebuilt the original one-car garage and created a “man cave” above. In 2011 they did an extensive renovation to accommodate their family of seven. They kept the original hardwood floors, doors, entry tile and hardware and expanded the home out the back to include a modern kitchen. Doing so has allowed the family to stay in the neighborhood they love.
. 10 .
. 11 .
3 5501 LEAVENWORTH STREET BAUER HOME BUILT: 1922 ���
HISTORY Henry Chris Glissman Sr., built the bungalow-style home in 1922, and for over 80 years members of the Glissman family have lived there. Glissman originally owned a farm on a parcel of land he sold to the Happy Hollow Club and Golf Course in 1922. In 1925, Glissman Sr. suffered an apoplectic stroke, rendering him wheelchair-bound. He passed away in 1928. Glissman Sr.’s widow, Catherine, continued living in the house until her own death in 1948. Following the death of her husband, Dr. Alfred Clifton Graham, daughter Greta moved into the home with her daughter, Kathryn Jean, in 1932. She lived in the home for another 50 years. Around 1997 Warren D. Brown, the son-in-law of Greta, took ownership of the house. Warren died in 2004, and the home was finally purchased outside of the family by Tom and Stephanie Jensen in 2006.
. 12 .
IMPROVEMENTS The current owner bought the home in July 2015. The home features the original front door and screen door, original wood floors and light fixtures with push button on and off switches. The owner has completely restored the kitchen, keeping the original cabinets, built in ironing board and farmhouse sink and refinishing the hard wood floors that were under two layers of linoleum. The attic space was redone to create a master bedroom and full bathroom, and the main floor bathroom was renovated keeping the penny floor tile. The owner has written about the adventures of restoring an old home on the blog - rentaltorenovation.blogspot.com
. 13 .
4 1301 SOUTH 52ND STREET CAVANAGH HOME BUILT: 1937 ���
HISTORY In February of 1937, Samuel Isaac Rothenberg’s new home was completed on the corner of 52nd and Poppleton. It was built with materials from the Micklin Lumber Co., where Rothenberg was auditor and credit manager. The house was designed for a small family, built with five rooms, a recreational room, and a basement. Rothenberg lived in the house at 1301 South 52nd Street with his wife, Bess Rothenberg (Horwich) and their children, David and Naomi. Other owners over the years included Lloyd Zachariae, Joseph Daly, Norman Mueller, and Paula Kay Timperly. Zachariae was executive director of Together Inc. When they lived in the home in the 1970s it was known as the Christmas House. Every room, including the bathroom, was decorated at Christmas time and the Omaha WorldHerald reported they hosted many parties during the holiday season to give people a chance to look at the home.
IMPROVEMENTS The current owner bought the home in February 2014. Using the owner’s design, Dan Muldoon was hired to redo the entire kitchen, adding new cabinets, beadboard ceilings and quartz countertops. The owner added a new secondfloor deck where you can view downtown Omaha. The home features original hardwood floors, original tile in the bathroom and a safe on the stairs to the second floor. . 14 .
. 15 .
5 5844 PINE STREET CONNERLEY HOME BUILT: 1925 ���
HISTORY The original owner of the Spanish Colonial Revival style home was William F. Mulligan, a salesman for the Farmers Union Live Stock Commission. In 1927 the home was sold to Harold Middaugh. Middaugh was age 26 when he bought the house. He worked as a salesman for Office Machinery & Typewriting earning $3500 per year, which made him one of the wealthier home owners on the block. In the 1940s the home sold to Thomas J. O’Connor. A tavern owner, and would-be politician, he unsuccessfully tried running for County Commissioner of the Fourth District in 1946 against an incumbent who had the exact same name, plus the same Irish heritage. Though he made it past the primaries, he lost the general election. After this race, he ran unsuccessfully for office again in 1948 and 1950. Future owners of the home included Ronald R. Caniglia and Tisha Atchley.
IMPROVEMENTS The current owners, Royce and Annette Connerley, lived in Bellevue and were looking for a Spanish Colonial home with a four car garage and an easy to spell short street name after living on Duane Avenue and constantly having to spell it for people. An added bonus to this house at 5844 Pine Street was the “844” in the title. Royce works at Union Pacific and is a train buff. Union Pacific’s No. 844 steam locomotive is one of UP’s oldest serving locomotives. . 16 .
The home is affectionately known as “Dame Margaret.” Annette recalls seeing Margaret Thatcher in the Royals Box at Wimbledon in the 1970s and 1980s seated so stately with her noticeable red hair. The first time she saw the house in the sunlight it too looked so stately with its red tiles gleaming on top. It made her think immediately of Thatcher. T. Hurt did a garage addition to give them the four car spaces they desired matching the style of the original home. They have dubbed the garage and man-cave space “Sir Winston” after Winston Churchill. Renaissance Roofing redid their tile roof and Pella provided period appropriate new windows throughout and a new front door. The original owner, a World War I veteran, liked ships and you can see those touches throughout including anchor hooks in the front closet and in the original light fixtures. On the outside they have repainted the home, keeping the original awnings and have done extensive landscaping on their two-lot property.
. 17 .
6 5848 HICKORY STREET SWANSON HOME BUILT: 1941 ���
HISTORY In the home's 74-year existence, there have only been six homeowners. The original homeowners were David and Sophie Crouse, who sold the house to William and Harriet Ballard. David worked at Dave’s Clothes shop, while William was a lawyer in the Omaha National Bank Building. In 1949, Harriet Ballard died and the house wound up in the hands of Leslie F. and Margaret E. Fletcher. Leslie and Margaret divorced in 1951, and Margaret maintained the rights to the house and lived there for nearly 50 years. Leslie was a taxi driver, and Margaret maintained employment from many different companies. For a while, Margaret worked for Marti Reference, a job search company, where she was a department manager and a counselor. She later changed careers to be the office secretary of Lange Flying School for six years and worked as a patient representative at St. Joseph’s Hospital between 1978 and 1985, before retiring. She continued to live in the house until 1998, when she was moved into a retirement home due to poor health. The current homeowner bought the home from Margaret in 1998.
. 18 .
IMPROVEMENTS The home was wallpapered throughout in 1998. The current owner stripped the wallpaper and painted the rooms. The floors, doors, and woodwork are original throughout the home. The main-floor bath features the original tile, sink, and toilet. The kitchen was originally all yellow. The homeowner retained the original cabinets in the kitchen but painted the trim green and added new hardware and black subway tile. The outdoor landscaping has been a labor of love and features many architectural pieces.
. 19 .
7 1310 SOUTH 63RD STREET WESTMAN HOME BUILT: 1939 ���
HISTORY Edwin and Regina (Maag) James lived in the home from 1939 to 1964. Regina earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the Municipal University of Omaha and served as an assistant in the English department for two years. After receiving a master’s degree in psychology from Northwestern University, Edwin was the assistant dean of students at the Municipal University of Omaha, making $1,440 a year. He received a leave of absence to serve in World War II and later earned a Bronze Star in 1945 for his meritorious service with the 20th Bombing Command in India. Edwin’s father, Dr. Gilbert James, was dean of the University of Omaha and golf coach, before becoming president in 1930 during the transition to the Municipal University of Omaha. Dr. James built the home next door (1302 South 63rd) in 1940, but he never lived there. Regina’s father, Jacob Maag, left his mark on some of Nebraska’s most impressive and enduring buildings. He created stone carvings for St. Cecilia Cathedral, Central High School, the University of Nebraska Stadium, the Scottish Rite Cathedral, and dozens of others. He created ornamental plaster moldings for Union Station (now The Durham), the State Capitol, and Burlington Station, among many others. He could carve wood and inscribe metal. The small, brick home features a brown sandstone trim around the front door and decorative . 20 .
plaster crown moldings in the foyer, living room and dining room. The plaster cornices in the living room are similar to the ornamentation at The Durham. The owners have found brown sandstone like that in their archway throughout their yard along with other decorative rock. The pieces now border several flower beds. Earl R. Peterson lived alone in the home from 1965 to 2005. He was known in the neighborhood for his Cadillacs and Sheltie dogs. Earl was manager of the Maison-Lorenzo beauty salon and served as president of the Nebraska Hairdressers and Cosmetologists Association.
IMPROVEMENTS The current homeowners bought the home in 2006 and live there with their two sons. The homeowners are both architects and have remodeled the entire house, more than doubling the square footage by turning unfinished attic and basement spaces into functional living areas. Projects have included uncovering several layers of linoleum in the kitchen to find the Douglas fir subfloor, tearing off wallpaper and reusing original doors. They have done much of the carpentry, electrical, and plumbing themselves, and have tried to restore the 78-year-old house to its original look and materials.
. 21 .
8 6239 POPPLETON AVENUE RIEGE HOME BUILT: 1939 ���
HISTORY Charles Sherman Jr., owner of the Charles Sherman Co., lived in the home from 1940 to 1951. The Charles Sherman Co. distributed Country Club Beer, famous for its “creamy richness and fully aged goodness.” Sherman was a prominent member of the Young Business Men’s Association (YBMA) and served as president in 1944. Sherman was charged by the State Liquor Commission in 1948 for subsidizing retailers by buying expensive equipment from them. By 1951, Sherman had moved to Long Beach, California. Al Bristow was the next owner. Bristow raced dogs competitively and had a champion black Labrador named Tag. Future owners included Mary Denny, Robert Dehne, Russell Hilliard, and John Kelso.
IMPROVEMENTS The current owner purchased the home in 2015. This is the owner’s first house. She fell in love with the neighborhood and the close proximity to Aksarben Village and the park for her dog. The homeowner has painted throughout, redone the kitchen - closing in an outside door to make a window and island space - and redesigned the master suite in the attic space, adding a full bathroom. The home features peach and black original tile in the main bathroom, hardwood floors, original entrance tile and light fixture, and original fireplace. Future projects include outside landscaping and new shutters. . 22 .
. 23 .
9 6024 POPPLETON AVENUE BLESENER/ ROYSTER HOME BUILT: 1935 ���
HISTORY This seven-room English Tudor Revival brick home was originally owned by Charles and Alta E. Miller, who lived in the home from 1935 to 1945. Their son, Charles Lynn Miller, was a Benson High graduate and the starting fullback for the University of Omaha Indians until he was drafted into the military in 1942. He trained as an airman and was promoted several times, eventually becoming commander of his squadron in the 12th AAF in Italy in 1945. After the Millers, Frank J. Nosker and Waldo K. Gragson each owned the home for a few years. One sales advertisement in 1951 describes the home as being “as neat as a pin from top to bottom.” In 1956, the home was purchased by Earl P. and Violet Christensen who lived there with their children, Glenn K. and Janine. The Christensen family sold the home to Velma and James S. Daniels Jr. in 1960. James worked in maintenance at the Omaha World-Herald for over 20 years and sold the home to the current owners.
IMPROVEMENTS The current owners bought the home in 1985. They had lived at 45th and Spring Streets and in a duplex at 60th and Poppleton Avenue. They drove past the neighborhood on their way to work and loved how convenient it was to everything. The home’s fireplace, . 24 .
doors, bathroom tile, and layout sold them on the house. “It is such a livable house.” Projects have included: taking out the tub in the main floor bathroom, doing their best to match the 4x4 yellow and black tile in their new shower; turning the second bedroom on the first floor into a den; adding skylights in the second floor bedroom and bathroom spaces to add light. They updated the kitchen by electrostatic spray painting the 1970s St. Charles cabinets orange, replacing the vinyl kitchen floors with wood and adding cobalt blue countertops. Outside, they have replaced stucco, torn out the driveway to add geothermal, and completed extensive landscaping. They raised their two sons and also started an architecture and landscape design business out of the home. “This is our first house and may be our last.”
. 25 .
THANK YOU FOR HELPING MAKING THE TOUR POSSIBLE DONORS Security National Bank and Midtown Neighborhood Alliance Neighborhood Sustainability Mini-Grant AIA Omaha RDG Planning & Design AO Courtyard by Marriott Aksarben Village Leo A Daly FarmHouse Cafe and Bakery
VOLUNTEERS Nicole Malone â€“ Tour Chair Judy Alderman Adam Andrews Colleen Ciciulla Norita Matt Avery Schwer Scott Swanson Bridget Vacha Trina Westman And those who helped staff the homes today.
PHOTOGRAPHY Nathan King
RESEARCH/WRITING Scott Hoffman University of Nebraska at Omaha Honors Students under the direction of Dr. Lucy Morrison, Director of the University Honors Program and a Professor of English Student researchers for the tour sites include Emily Berry, Megan Black, Kyla Buettner, John Cahoon, Erin Dabbs, Shelby Dechow, Tyler Friesen, Bashayer Hammadi, Mark Irvine, Justin Korth, Josiah Krutz, Ashley Steffes, Megan Stokebrand, and Aaron Welch
Most especially, thank you to our homeowners for sharing their restored and renovated properties! . 26 .
PLANNING ARCHITECTURE INTERIORS WWW. AOOMAHA .CO
. 27 .
1506 S. 60th Street Omaha, Nebraska 402-905-0102 trackslounge.com Open every day 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.
Tour Special â€“ Today Only with This Coupon
and get the second for
Karaoke Tuesday: 9 p.m.-1 a.m. Wednesday Wing Fling (10 Wings for $5): 3-8 p.m.
. 28 .
IT’S A NEW STAY.
COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT AKSARBEN VILLAGE 1625 S 67TH STREET • OMAHA, NE 68106
oldomaha.com TIM REEDER: 402.612.3833
. 30 .
Celebrating Over 30 Years of Excellence!
Design Showroom: 3415 South 67 St. Omaha, NE 68106 Contact: (402) 393-4110 ; email@example.com th
www.eurowood.net / www.houzz.com/pro/eurowood / www.facebook.com/eurowoodcabinets
Locally Owned & Operated ASHI-Certified Inspectors 24/7 Scheduling Saturday Inspections Available Radon & Mold Testing
Experts in Inspecting Historic Omaha Homes!
Our team has a combined 120 years of construction experience and 45 years inspecting properties. This means our inspectors fully understand how a home’s elements work together and why they fail. Our inspection reports put items of concern and the home’s strong points into perspective – giving you a clear, concise idea of the condition of a home. To learn more about us or to schedule an inspection, visit
HomeStandardsInspections.com or call us at 402-392-2020
. 31 .
5203 Leavenworth St. Omaha, NE 68106
Lunch Mon - Fri 11-2 Dinner Mon - Sat 5-10 JCocoOmaha.com
EMBRACING THE PRESERVATION OF ARCHITECTURE. CREATING ARCHITECTURE WORTHY OF PRESERVATION. Rail & Commerce Building Restoration, Omaha, NE
901 JONES ST OMAHA, NE 402.345.3060
BVH.COM . 32 .
. 33 .
Tom Manley Owner
Wood Floor Installation & Refinishing 3139 North 84th Circle Office: 402-885-8886 Omaha, NE 68134 Cell: 402-214-8648 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
. 34 .
. 35 .
www.aepna.org AEPNA meetings are on the 3rd Thursday of Jan./March/May/July/Sept./Nov. LOCATION: St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church (1725 S. 60th St.) TIME: 6:30 â€“ 8:30 PM Bring a Friend or Two . 36 .
EDUCATING AND MOTIVATING THE OMAHA AREA TO PRESERVE, RESTORE, AND REHABILITATE OLDER PROPERTIES Join us! restorationexchange.org
. 37 .
The history of Omaha's Aksarben neighborhood plus pictures and information on 9 historic homes and several commercial properties in the a...
Published on Oct 2, 2016
The history of Omaha's Aksarben neighborhood plus pictures and information on 9 historic homes and several commercial properties in the a...