PRSRT STD U.S. POSTAGE
PAID KATY, TX. PERMIT #137
IRETHORNE Unofficial Community Newsletter
Your newsletter can also be found online at www.krenekprinting.com - Newsletters - Katy Area - Firethorne
New Creation Food Drive in Firethorne to benefit KCM Food Bank in Fulshear!
January is the month for hope and new beginnings. But to many local residents it just means the weather is getting colder and the kids need more food to keep up their energy for school. Please consider clearing out and sharing your hurricane staples! The KCM Food Bank in Fulshear is in need of canned items as vegetables, soups, spaghetti sauce, canned fruit and tuna or meat products. If you would like to share your bounty, volunteers from New Creation Church will distribute bags on Saturday morning, January 26th to the residents of Firethorne. You are invited to place the bag filled with non-perishable groceries on the street curb on Saturday afternoon between 3-5 PM. Food items may also be brought to the church service on January 13th at 10 AM at the Irene Stern Community Center located on Katy-Fulshear Rd. If you would like to donate cash or write a check to cover the cost of buying a few one-pound packages of fresh meat, donation containers will be out at Dozier Meats, Sweet Tooth and local businesses from January 20th through the 27th. Your donation will be spent at Dozier Meats in Fulshear to help fill the KCM Food Bank Freezer. Questions? Call Pastor Dale Olson at 832-492-5136.
If everyone wrapped just three gifts in reused paper, it would save enough paper to cover 45,000 football fields. If every household reused just two feet of ribbon each year, the resulting 38,000 miles or ribbon could tie a bow around the Earth. 28 billon pounds of edible food is thrown away each year - serve smaller portions; diners can always ask for seconds. The 2.65 billion Christmas cards sold each year in the U.S. could fill a football field 10 stories high or circle the planet 10 times. Annual trash from gift-wrap and shopping bags total 4 million tons. Think about how you can reduce and help our environment. LIGHTS: HolidayLeds.com will recycle your old incandescent lights and in return send you a coupon for 25% off any purchase of LED Christmas lights from their web site. The program is open all year round and recycled over 10,000 pounds of old lights in 2009 - 2010. See the website for shipping information. PACKAGING: Cardboard boxes, gift-wrap, gift bags, ribbons and stick-on bows can be kept and re-used again. Don’t know what to do with those pesky foam-packaging peanuts? Many UPS Store locations accept them for reuse. Check with your local UPS Store for additional details (www.theupsstore.com). CHRISTMAS TREE: As lights flicker out on another holiday season, many recycle their Christmas trees through community projects that chip the evergreens into garden mulch. Contact your county to find the nearest drop-off location to pick up dates. Harris County 281-855-5600. Fort Bend County 281-342-6171.
January 2013 Published by: Krenek Printing 7102 Glen Chase Ct • Houston, TX 77095 • 281-463-8649
email: email@example.com for articles • firstname.lastname@example.org for 2013 business ads • classiﬁed@krenekprinting.com for classiﬁed ads Firethorne January
FIRETHORNE IMPORTANT NUMBERS
City Wide Exterminating Pest & Termite Specialist • Over 28 Years in Business Owned & Operated by Firethorne Resident
General Pest Control Starts at $60 (tax included) No Contracts Needed.
Call David Chirtos to start protecting your home today!
Control fire ants for a full year! Call for details.
281-568-2055 832-275-8863 cell email@example.com
STAAR, TAKS, EOC Dr. P can help your child succeed! Tutoring, Homework Relief, Study Skills and Test Prep
Voted Best of Katy 2011 and 2012! US Commerce Association
Emergency (Police, Fire & Ambulance) Fulshear Police Department Fort Bend County Sherriff Precinct 3 Constable’s Patrol Fulshear-Simonton Fire Department 30626 5th St, Fulshear, TX 77441
911 281-346-1717 281-341-4666 281-491-7226 281-346-2800
Second Semester =
Villagio Town Center Westheimer Pkwy and Peek Rd
Firethorne HOA Poison Control Animal Control Children’s Protective Svs Houston Recreation Manangement (Call for Pool Party Reservations) Severn Trent MUD 151 - Billing Severn Trent Service Reliant Energy Centerpoint Energy Power Outage www.centerpointenergy.com/outage Trash Collection - WCA Trash Days - Wednesday & Saturday AT&T Metro Memorial Herman Hospital - Katy Christus St. Catherine Hospital City of Fulshear Fort Bend Tax Office Emergency Service District Tax Fort Bend County Animal Control
281-693-0003 1-800-222-1222 281-342-1512 713-394-4000 713-932-7665 www.h-rec.com 281-579-4500 281-398-8211 713-207-7777 713-659-2111 713-207-2222 281-368-8397 800-288-2747 713-635-4000 281-644-7000 281-599-5700 281-346-1796 281-341-3710 281-342-6414 281-342-1512
Christy, Linda & Courtney Wade - An Award Winning Team!
Sales & Marketing Specialist REALTOR®
Broker Associate Relocation Specialist
Sales & Marketing Specialist REALTOR®
KISD Administration KISD Transportation Wolman Elementary School WoodCreek Elementary School WoodCreek Junior High School Katy High School Lamar Consolidated ISD Huggins Elementary Briscoe Junior High School Wertheimer Middle School Foster High School
281-396-6000 281-396-7560 281-234-1700 281-234-0100 281-234-0800 281-237-6700 www.lcisd.org 832-223-1600 832-223-4000 832-223-4100 832-223-3800
Whether you’re interested in buying or selling, you deserve a team that puts your interests first... We’ll be there for you! We’ll listen and take the time to find out what’s important to you and your family. When you contact us, we’ll develop a marketing strategy that helps you achieve the results YOU want ... a better bottom line with the least inconvenience to you and your family.
©2012 Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate LLC. A Realogy Company. All Rights Reserved. Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate LLC fully supports the principles of the Fair Housing Act and the Equal Opportunity Act. Each Office is Independently Owned and Operated. Better Homes and Gardens, the Better Homes and Garden Real Estate logo are registered service marks owned by Meredith Corporation and licensed to Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate LLC.
Newsletter Publisher: Krenek Printing Company 7102 Glen Chase Ct, Houston, TX 77095 281-463-8649 • www.krenekprinting.com Firethorne
WINTER CLEANUP SPECIAL
20% Off Entire House or Roof Cleaning
QUALITY PLUMBING Operated by Master Plumbers MLP19029
FREE Estimates and Demos!
Roof Cleaning - No Pressure Damage Free Power Washing - Low Pressure Damage Free Pressure Washing - High Pressure
281-392-2304 Exterior House Cleaning Specialists
Don’t pay too much for filing your income taxes!!!
Partners Tax Services, LLC Enrolled to Practice before IRS
• Individual Income Tax forms 1040, 1040A & 1040EZ • Self Employed Schedule C • Rental Income Schedule E Mon-Fri 4-9 PM • Business Tax Returns Sat. 9 AM to 5 PM • IRS Notices? We can help • Year Round Service • Tax Return Amendments • Reasonable Rates & Examinations • Convenient Service • FREE E-File with your service • Hablamos ESPANOL Call us, you won’t be disappointed!!!
UNWANTED GIFTS: Unwanted gifts can be donated to your local charities or churches. CHRISTMAS CARDS: A traditional activity, but one which never fails to amuse the kids, is making gift tags for next year’s presents. Use pinking sheers, a hole punch and leftover ribbon. Also, local preschools and daycares often appreciate free items for arts and crafts. CELL PHONES AND BATTERIES: Numerous retail locations will accept your old cell phones and batteries. Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy and several more. Go to www.epa.gov/epawaste/conserve/materials/ecycling/donate. htm to find your local listings.
FACTS ON CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
The Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that approximately 200 people per year are killed by accidental CO poisoning, with an additional 5,000 people injured - more accidental poisonings than any other chemical substance. During winter, when our houses are closed up to keep warm and appliances such as heaters and furnaces are operating, the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning increases dramatically. Known as the “Silent Killer,” carbon monoxide is a tasteless, odorless, colorless toxic gas that is a by-product of combustion and is virtually impossible to detect. Any fuel-burning appliance or device can produce dangerous levels of this gas and must be maintained properly to avoid the build-up of this poison in your home. What can cause carbon monoxide poisoning in the home? Fuel-fired furnaces (check for cracked furnace exchange); Gas water heaters (check for corroded or disconnected water heater flue); Fireplaces and wood stoves (check for dirty or clogged chimneys); Gas stoves (check for proper installation); Gas dryers (use outside ventilation); Any gas or kerosene appliance such as portable heaters; Charcoal grills (don’t operate inside or in an enclosed area such as garage); Gas engines such as lawnmowers, blowers and other yard equipment; Automobile exhaust (especially dangerous in an attached garage); Cigarette smoke; Anywhere combustion takes place.
• Quality Work at Reasonable Rates • All Phases of Plumbing • Faucets/Toilets • Garbage Disposals • Water Heaters • Drain & Sewer Cleaning • Sewer Line Video Camera • Gas Tests and Repairs • Pipe Repairs • 7 Days a week • 24 Hour Service • 27 Years Experience $
When you mention this ad.
* Weedends & Holidays Extra
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning? The symptoms of CO poisoning are commonly mistaken for other illnesses such as the flu or a cold. Concentration levels of CO in your bloodstream can cause: 10% concentration - no apparent symptoms (heavy smokers can have as much as 9% COHb); 15% concentration - mild headache, 25% concentration nausea, serious headache (quick recovery after treatment with oxygen or fresh air); 30% concentration - intensified headaches, nausea, dizziness, increased pulse and respiration (potential for long-term effects, especially in infants, children, the elderly, victims of heart disease and pregnant women); 45% concentration - unconsciousness, possible collapse, convulsions, coma and eventually death; 50%+ concentration – death. CAUTION: Carbon monoxide especially affects unborn babies, infants, people with anemia or a history of heart or respiratory disease and pregnant women. How can I prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in my home? • Make sure your fuel-burning appliances (oil and gas furnaces, gas water heaters, gas ranges and ovens, gas dryers, gas or kerosene space heaters, fireplaces and wood stoves) are installed and working according to manufacturers’ instructions and local building codes. • Have all of your fuel-burning appliances inspected and cleaned by a professional at the beginning of every heating season. • Make certain that flues and chimneys are connected, unclogged and in good working condition. • Have only a qualified technician install or convert fuel-burning equipment from one type to another. • Never use ovens and gas ranges to heat your home. • Never use a charcoal grill inside a home, cabin, recreational vehicle or camper - even in a fireplace. • Never leave your car idling or a mower or blower running in a closed garage. Fumes can build up very quickly in the garage and living area of your home. • Make sure your furnace has an adequate intake of outside air. • Choose appliances that vent fumes to the outside whenever possible. If you cannot avoid using an unvented gas or kerosene space heater, follow the cautions that come with the device carefully. • Use the proper fuel and keep doors to the rest of the house open when using gas or kerosene space heaters. Crack a window to ensure enough air for ventilation and proper burning of fuel. Never sleep in an enclosed space with gas or kerosene space heaters. • Install carbon monoxide detectors with an audible alarm in your home and garage.
AntSir Pest Control Residential & Commercial
�• All General Pests • Carpenter Ants • Bed Bugs • Bees • Fleas • Rodent Exclusions • Snakes • Spiders • Termites • WDI Reports
DON’T IGNORE SYMPTOMS, particularly if more than one person is feeling them. You could lose consciousness and die if you do nothing. Play it safe. If you DO experience symptoms that you think could be from CO poisoning: Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off fuel-burning appliances and leave the house. Go to an emergency room and tell the physician you suspect CO poisoning. Source: www.pp.okstate.edu/ehs/links/co.htm
When You’ve Got Pest Problems... We’re Your AntSir!
Family Owned & Operated
LAS VEGAS NIGHT In the Community Life Center at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church 6646 Addicks-Satsuma Rd, Houston, TX 77084
Sponsored by the Knights of Columbus Council 8096
January 26, 2013 7:00 PM Ticket Donation $15/person MAY BE PURCHASED IN ADVANCE OR AT THE DOOR (All proceeds to benefit local Knights of Columbus charities)
• Black Jack • Craps • Roulette • Slot Machines
SNACKS AND DRINKS ARE INCLUDED (Donations Appreciated)
• Poker • And More!
BIG PRIZE AUCTION AT 10:30PM
BID & WIN A TRIP TO LAS VEGAS! For Tickets or Information Contact: Franklin 281-463-6122, firstname.lastname@example.org or Scott 713-898-3560
Come Join Us for Fun and Great Prizes!!! 4
GARDENING TIPS FOR JANUARY
• Birds: Provide food and fresh water. More birds die from lack of water than from lack of food. • Cacti: Semi-dormant now. Reduce watering. • Camellias: Plants may be moved. Pick up and discard fallen blooms. • Cultivation: Changes in design may now be made, new beds dug and old ones rebuilt. Correct defects in drainage. Incorporate gypsum into heavy soils: repeat in three weeks. Dig granite dust, rock phosphate and quantities of organic matter into soil. Allow time for settling before planting. • Fertilize: Daylilies, spuria, Louisiana and bearded irises with complete fertilizer. Give strawberries 1 teaspoon ammonium sulfate, keeping six inches away from plant. Fertilize pansies with manure tea or blood meal. Water in. • Fruits: Plant fruit trees. Mulch figs with grass or straw to prevent freeze damage to crown. • House Plants: Water, when surface soil is crumbly dry. Wash dust off leaves to open pores. Mist often. Inspect for diseases and insects. Reduce water for poinsettias. • Lawns: Remove thatch aerate, and feed with low nitrogen mixture. • Pests: For petal blight prevention, spray azaleas and camellias as flowers open. Spray for scale with dormant oil solution if temperature will be above 35˚ and below 85˚ for next 48 hours. Always read and heed manufacturer s directions before spraying. • Propagation: Ivy cuttings root easily this month and next. Root cuttings of shrubs in mixture of loam and coarse sand; keep damp and semi-shaded until rooted. • Prune: Fruit trees in advance of new growth. Prune to groom and shape. Do not remove too much. Remove dead wood from trees and shrubs before spring buds swell, but do not prune spring bloomers. Prune crape myrtles. Prune nandina and others of similar growth habit by cutting unwanted canes out at base of plant. • Roses: Annual pruning about the middle of February, just before the spring buds break. To prevent later appearance of disease in the old beds, keep garden clean of debris and weeds. Complete preparation of new beds for roses. • Transplanting: January is one of the best months to transplant woody plants, both evergreen and deciduous, especially trees. Energy will be expended on roots instead of foliage. Learn ultimate size and cultural needs of tree or plant before buying. Consider dwarf varieties to avoid crowding later. Group plants of similar cultural needs. Do not work wet soil. Assure good drainage. Keep plants moist. • Vegetables: Prepare beds, preferably raised for drainage, with about 50% humus, including rotted manure. • Winter Protection: Expect freeze any time; plan for protection of tender plants. Water. Remove coverings, particularly plastic, when temperature rises. Protect low plants with dry leaves, pine needles or soil mulch, but remove when weather warms.
TEENAGE JOB SEEKERS
If you are between 12 and 18 and would like to be added to the teenage job seeker’s list, please fill out the form in the newsletter with your name, age, birthdate (mon. & yr.), phone number, (one only) year you will graduate (or grade presently in) and the name of your subdivision. Check the list of jobs you want on your form. Email to email@example.com (preferred) or mail to Krenek Printing, 7102 Glen Chase Ct., Houston, TX 77095. Must have parent(s) permission.
FIRETHORNE TEENAGE JOB SEEKERS LIST
Lose up to (more than)
20 Inches in Three Weeks
ZERO pain ZERO dOwntimE ZERO suRgERy
TEENAGE JOB SEEKERS
Please place my name on the Job Seekers List
(Students must be 12 before they can be added to the babysitting list.) Please fill in ALL information or we will not put on the list Job(s) _________________________________
q B -Babysitting
Name _________________________________ q SS -Safe Sitter
q SL -Swim Lessons
Make a resolution to...
Address ________________________________ q CPR -CPR Certified
Email _________________________________ q FAC -First Aid Cert.
q RCC -Red Cross Cert.
Birthdate - Mo/Yr_________________________ q P -Pet Care (only)
q PP -Pet/Plant Sitter q H -Housecare Phone _________________________________ q L -Lawncare q T -Tutor Subdivison______________________________ q C -Car Detailing
Age ______ Grade________ Class of ________
I give my permission for my child’s name and phone number to be published in the ‘Teenage Job Seekers’ section of our subdivision newsletter.
invest in yourself this year!! Zerona Melts Fat!!! January 2013 Zerona special* • 9 Zerona Laser Sessions .00 • 9 Ionic Detox Sessions ($2675 Value) • 9 Vibe Plate Sessions • 9 Lymphatic Stimulation Sessions
Parent Signature ____________________________________________________
email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or Mail to: Krenek Printing Co. 7102 Glen Chase Ct., Houston, TX 77095 www.krenekprinting.com
10th Zerona session & Consultation Free with this ad
Customized Programs Available: ALL PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE
• Metabolism • Weight Loss • Lean Muscle • Immune System • Antioxidants • Detoxification • Anxiety • Migraines • Muscle Tension • B12 • Increased Growth Hormone Release • HCG
January 1st - 4th - Student/Staff Holiday January 7th - Student Holiday January 21st - Student/Staff Holiday
MORE THAN 165 PARTICIPATE IN 15TH ANNUAL PROMISE TO READ PROGRAM
Community members from Katy and the surrounding area recently stopped what they were doing to read to students in more than 345 classes as part of Katy ISD’s 15th annual Promise to Read program. Through Promise to Read, volunteers promised to spend 30 minutes reading to an elementary classroom during one week in November. This year, ten Katy ISD elementary campuses hosted the event with Partners in Education: Morton Ranch, Hutsell, Nottingham, Kilpatrick, King, Pattison, Mayde Creek, Griffin, Bear Creek and McRoberts Elementary. Host campuses rotate each year so that, over a three-year period, every Katy ISD elementary has an opportunity to participate.
* Promotion expires Jan 31, 2013. ** Results are after 6 treatments over a two week period.
The Healing Center • 281-647-7703
607 Park Grove, Suite B, Katy, TX 77450 • www.nomoresymptoms.com
Focused Xtermination Pest control GENERAL PEST CONTROL
One Time Inside & Outside Call for details. Expires 1/31/13.
Full Service General Pest Control
Rodents / Animal Trappings Bed Bugs Wasps & Bees Fleas & Ticks Termite Control Mosquito Control
Emergency Service Available
Call for details. Expires 1/31/13.
Become a Dental Assistant in just 10 weeks! 10 Week Course Saturday Classes Only Winter Classes Begin 1/12/13 Tuition $2850 • Payment Plans Training Since 1995
“Promise to Read has become a volunteer event that many in our community really look forward to. Most of our visiting readers return year after year,” says Sandi Meier, Katy ISD Promise to Read and Classroom Champions Coordinator. “Having a guest reader in the classroom is a fun treat for students, but it also promotes the life-long joy of reading.” Readers represented a cross section of local companies and organizations including: Amegy Bank, American Kids Athletics, AXA Financial Advisors, Brazos Valley Schools Credit Union, CenterPoint Energy, Chick-Fil-A of Katy, City of Katy, CiCi’s Pizza, Cinco Ranch Conservatory of Music, ExxonMobil, First Victoria Bank, Grand Vision Center, Gary Greene Realtors, Harris County Sheriff’s Department, Hasta La Pasta, H-E-B Katy Market, Herff Jones Graduation Center, Houston Aeros, Houston Museum of Natural Science, Katy Area Chamber of Commerce, Kelliwood Animal Hospital, Members Choice Credit Union, Memorial Hermann, Omni Houston Hotel Westside, Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt, Pediatric Dentists of Katy, Pepper Lawson Construction, Rainforest Café, SmartOrigami, The Shady Lady Window Coverings, Tradition Bank and Wood Group. Promise to Read is one of several community involvement programs offered by Katy ISD Partners in Education, the department that brings the community into the classroom. Find more information about Partners in Education at www.katyisd.org/community (website).
GEORGE FOUNDATION HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIPS NOW AVAILABLE FOR GRADUATING SENIORS
in K w No Houston Dental Assistant School Located in Katy and Spring/The Woodlands
For info packet call 281-363-0600 or email us at email@example.com Approved by the TWC Career Schools and Colleges
LETTY’S CLEANING SERVICES
• Residential & Commercial • Move In / Move Out • Party / Meeting Cleanup • Carpet Shampoo • Window Cleaning • References Available • Free Estimates
(281) 859-7310 cell (832) 978-1077
DOOR DOCTOR REPAIR • REPLACE ANY DOOR • ANYTIME • ANYWHERE
Visit us @ www.doordoctor.us
ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED
47 YEARS EXPERIENCE
For graduating seniors from Fort Bend County public high schools, The George Foundation has established a financial-need based scholarship program administered by Scholarship Management Services, a department of Scholarship America. Scholarships in the amount of $20,000, awarded $5,000 per year, are renewable for up to four years for full-time students attending an accredited two-or four-year public Texas institution of higher learning. Guidelines and applications can be found on www.thegeorgefoundation. org, the Foundation’s website. Deadline for applying is March 15, 2013. Questions may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Theresa Kopnicky, Grant Associate, at 281-342-6109.
Lamar Consolidated ISD WWW.LCISD.ORG
January 1st - 4th - Student/Staff Holiday January 7th - Student Holiday January 21st - Student/Staff Holiday
GEORGE FOUNDATION HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIPS NOW AVAILABLE FOR GRADUATING SENIORS
For graduating seniors from Fort Bend County public high schools, The George Foundation has established a financial-need based scholarship program administered by Scholarship Management Services, a department of Scholarship America. Scholarships in the amount of $20,000, awarded $5,000 per year, are renewable for up to four years for full-time students attending an accredited two-or four-year public Texas institution of higher learning. Guidelines and applications can be found on www.thegeorgefoundation.org, the Foundation’s website. Deadline for applying is March 15, 2013. Questions may be emailed to email@example.com or by calling Theresa Kopnicky, Grant Associate, at 281-342-6109.
CHARLIE RUSSO Sales Associate
RE/MAX Westside, Realtors
(713) 851-4871 Direct Ofﬁce (281) 925-3039 Cell
Outstanding Agents. Outstanding Results.®
Having over 6 years of Firethorne sales amounting to over 275 homes, I take great pride in providing you with helpful information and updates to satisfy your interests in your community. If you have any questions concerning real estate in the area, know of someone that you would love to see in the community, or would like to put my intimate knowledge of Firethorne to work for you, please give me a call.
“IT WOULD BE MY PLEASURE TO SERVE YOU AND THOSE YOU KNOW.” Call or email today for your
FREE Home Marketing Analysis and don’t forget to ask about my
GUARANTEED SOLD PROGRAM!
WoodCreek Elementary School
Foster High School DON’T BULLY, BE HAPPY! FOSTER AIMS FOR NO PLACE FOR HATE STATUS
Foster High School kicked off its march towards being a recognized No Place for Hate® campus with a its first ever “Don’t Bully, Be Happy - Yellow Out Day.” No Place for Hate® is an Anti-Defamation League initiative that helps to create and sustain inclusive school environments where all students feel valued and have the opportunity to succeed by promoting respect for individual difference while challenging bigotry and prejudice. Foster High School will be participating in school wide anti-bias activities this year in an effort to promote these values and gain recognition as a No Place for Hate® campus.
Sports West Houston Girls Softball Association Registration
WOODCREEK ELEMENTARY 1ST GRADE STUDENT #1 AT ENTIRE SCHOOL FOR COOKIE DOUGH FUNDRAISER SALES!
Brandon Bullard was the #1 student at WoodCreek Elementary School by selling over $1,600 in the Cookie Dough Fundraiser. He set a goal to sell 100 items to win the scooter from the prize brochure, but got so excited that he kept selling and ended up selling the most! The fundraiser helps purchase items for the school and is a great way to teach goal setting to young children! He is pictured with his goal poster that his mom and brother helped him create. Thank you to everyone that helped him achieve this goal, he worked hard to finish it! We are so proud of you Brandon! Love, Mom, Dad and Trevor.
West Houston Girls Softball Association invites you to come join the fun! Registration is now OPEN for our Spring 2013 season. Make some new friends and enjoy the outdoors in a fun and exciting way. No experience necessary! Girls, ages 5-17, are eligible to play! Every girl makes a team and every girl plays. Registration can be completed online, in-person or by mail (visit our website for forms and dates): www.eteamz.com/whgsa. If you have questions, please feel free to email Kim Jowers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Katy Girls Softball Association SPRING BALL REGISTRATION
January 5 and 12, 2013 - 9:00 AM-2:00 PM January 9 and 16, 2013 - 6:30-8:30 PM All Registration at Academy I-10-Katy REGISTRATION FEE: $140 12 Game Season + EOS Tournament (Reg. Fee includes $30 worth of Raffle tickets) Season Starts March 9, 2013 Visit Our Website: kgsa.org or call 281-391-6890
AIR CONDITIONING & HEATING, INC.
License # TACLA1038C
Financing Available WAC Greater Houston
19 pt. Heat Check-up or Service
Includes all discounts & Promotions Must Present Coupon at time of Service
Katy Pony Baseball
Katy Pony Baseball for ages 4-17, co-ed, will be registering for the 2013 Spring Season on the following dates and locations: • Frozen Ropes Baseball Training Facility: 20000 Park Row, Katy Saturday, January 12th - 10:00 AM-2:00 PM • Academy Sports and Outdoors: I-10 and Grand Parkway, Katy Wednesday, January 16th and 23rd - 6:00 PM-8:30 PM Saturday, January 19th - 10:00 AM-2:00 PM Or register online at www.katyponybaseball.org through January 20th.
Katy American Little League’s 2013 Spring Season Registration is now open!
Register on-line today at www.KatyAmerican.org Our league offers various divisions for children who are age 5-16 year old, on or before April 30, 2013. Katy American is also pleased to announce the addition of the new Intermediate Division!!! Little League has introduced the new Intermediate division (OPEN BASES) this year for 11 and 12 year old players, which will now play on 70 foot base paths and 50 foot pitching distances. This holiday; give your child the gift of a season of baseball at Katy American Little League. It’s a season of fun and happy memories that lasts beyond the holidays.
Turf Bowl Champions KYF Rookie Saints
After an undefeated regular season, the KYF Rookie Saints clinched the title of Turf Bowl Champions on November 18, 2012 at Rhodes Stadium! Coach Steve Guzzetta, along with our other coaches, guided these 3rd Graders to a Flawless Season! The kids were so excited to finish the season off with this Victory! This is their second trip to the Turf Bowl, but their First Championship Title.
Congratulations to Local Gymnast Victoria Deuterio
Congratulations to Victoria Deuterio of Champion Gymnastics who qualified and competed in the Texas South Level 4 State Championships. Victoria took 1st All Around in her division with a total score of 38.3, 2nd place out of 303 Level 4 gymnasts. Victoria is finishing a strong season. Out of seven meets, she has five 1st All Arounds, one 3rd and one 4th place title. Way to Go Victoria!
Registration is open for fall Flag Football, Basketball, Soccer and T-Ball/ Baseball leagues in Katy! i9 Sports is the #1 provider of youth sports leagues, camps and instructional clinics in the country for kids ages 3-14. We focus on fun, skills and sportsmanship with a commitment to safety. For more information, please visit www.i9sports.com or call 281-398-PLAY (7529).
Please contact Dean at email@example.com if you are interested in playing volleyball. You must be at least 18 years old and be able to play at intermediate level. We play at different locations in and around Katy area.
Katy Rugby Club
Fun for all the family. All ages welcome - boys & girls. Training every Sunday 2-4 PM, at Beck Junior High school Football Field. For more information, visit www.katyrugbyclub.com
Katy Valkyries HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS LACROSSE
The Katy Valkyries is a varsity team competing in the Texas Girls High School Lacrosse League and accepts players from all KISD high schools. Lacrosse experience is not necessary to join the team - we will teach you the skills and game strategy. Please see our new website at: www.katyvalkyries. org for additional information.
Women’s Basketball League
Looking for as many ladies as possible to play. Ages 16+. Contact Krystal Horn for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
Westside Golf League
Westside Golf League is actively encouraging new members. We invite you to join us every Tuesday morning at Cinco Ranch Golf Club. Our purpose is to allow ladies of all levels to meet new friends and have fun while improving golfing skills. For more information contact Sue Crookson at 281-392-4913 email@example.com or Yana Dommert at 281-394-2481 yana@ entouch.net or Kathy Smith 815-715-3892.
Church Events Church Events New Creation Lutheran Church Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University is Coming!
January 5th - 10 am Bob Lutts Fulshear/Simonton Branch Library 6920 Katy Fulshear Road, Fulshear 77441 New Creation Lutheran Church is hosting a free preview of Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University. This life-changing class will help you achieve your financial goals by showing you how to eliminate debt, save for the future and give like never before. You will be challenged and motivated to make a plan for your money and change your family tree forever. For more information, please call Sig Cornelius at 832-386-9772. food drive New Creation will host a food drive, “Meat for the KCM Food Pantry,” the week of January 20th through 27th. Donation containers will be displayed at Dozier Meat Market, Sweet Tooth Shoppe and other local businesses. The meat locker at the Food Pantry need to be restocked as hunger continues in the community year round! Your donation will be spent at a local business to support this important ministry. Donations will also be accepted at the January 13th Worship service held 10:00 Am at the Irene Stern Community Center. Come out and meet your neighbors! 832-492-5136.
Do You Want To Party? Mason Creek Community Center provides downtown ambiance with neighborhood convenience. A wonderful location for school events, graduation, office parties, weddings, family gatherings, or any holiday event. • Sound System • Covered Patio Let us help you to make your special occasion a memorable one. Click on Community Center
For more info call
LANDSCAPE CENTRAL OPE 281-347-1003 A7WDAYNS EEK
25450 Westheimer Pkwy @ Greenbusch Please visit us at: www.landscapecentralkaty.com ask about FREE DELIVERY
New Creation hosts Free Coffee & Hot Chocolate at the Sweet Tooth Shoppe! New Creation arrived in Fulshear promising to share God’s love. What they didn’t tell us was that it comes with free ice cream! The launch team headed by Pastor Dale Olson is giving a free scoop of ice cream, coffee or hot chocolate to anyone who shows up at the Sweet Tooth Shoppe between 2 and 4 PM on Saturday, January 12th. The Sweet Tooth Shoppe, located at 8503 FM 359 in downtown Fulshear, is an old fashioned candy and ice cream store. There will also be a drawing for a gift certificate. Area residents are starting to enjoy having this new church in town!
So, spend some time with friends, have some fun and maybe even win a prize!! Your check is your RSVP. Checks should be made payable to Congregation Or Ami. Please list “Mah Jongg Tournament” in the check memo section. Checks need to be mailed to Congregation Or Ami at 3443 Wilcrest Drive, Houston Texas 77042. For further information, contact Congregation Or Ami at 713-334-4300.
New Anglican Church Opens
A new church, Grace Anglican Community, has scheduled its Grand Opening for 10:30 am, January 13th at WoodCreek Elementary, 1155 WoodCreek Bend Lane, Katy, TX. “We are both historical and contemporary,” says Robert Henson, founding Rector. Our worship will include the richest, most faithful elements of the Christian heritage: scripture, song, bread and wine but it is done in a style that speaks to the needs and lives of people today. Our goal is to help people grow in faith. No matter where a person is in their faith journey, we are here to help.”
The Katy Christian Women’s Connection
Will be hosting A West Side Christian Women’s Conference Focusing on “A Woman’s Heart” A day of dynamic inspirational speakers, praise and worship! Saturday, February 16, 2013 8 am - 4 pm Cinco Ranch Church of Christ 6655 S. Mason Rd Katy, Texas 77450 Prepaid reservations needed by January 30, 2013 For more information, please visit our website at: www.KatyCWC.org or call Cathie at 713-304-3225
“We also major in kids and youth,” says Karen Henson, Children’s Minister. “During these years, people are the most open and receptive to their faith. Our kids will learn while having fun.” Grace Anglican Community is a member of the Anglican Church in North America, which is part of the world wide Anglican Church, a global community of more than 70 million Christians. More information is available at the website, www.graceanglicankaty.com or by firstname.lastname@example.org - our email. Congregation Or Ami Mah Jongg Tournament
Come play in the Congregation Or Ami Mah Jongg Tournament. The event takes place on Sunday, February 3, 2013 from 9 am until 3 pm. The registration fee is $36, which includes lunch.
BLUEBONNET PAINTING IN TEXAS SINCE
REFERENCES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
CUSTOM PAINTING FREE ESTIMATES
• INTERIOR / EXTERIOR • SHEETROCK REPAIRS • HARDIPLANK® INSTALLATION • WOOD REPLACEMENT • STAIN / VARNISH SPECIALIST • RENOVATIONS
All Our Refinishing Painting Specialist is done with a Brush and Roller Only! email@example.com
PRESSURE WASHING YOUR HOUSE, DECKS, PATIOS, POOL AREA, DRIVEWAYS, FENCES...ETC.
Community Events Garage Sales
HEATING • AIR CONDITIONING up to a $1450 Rebate $35 OFF New Home Comfort System
Cannot be combined with any other offer. Must present at time of service. Expires 1/15/13.
Cannot be combined with any other offer. Must be 16 seer or higher. Expires 1/15/13.
Same-Day Ser vice
10% OFF Attic Insulation
FREE ESTIMATES on New Equipment
Pope john xxii High School COMMUNITY WIDE GARAGE SALE
Pope john xxii High School, 1800 West Grand Parkway N., Katy, TX 77449, located on the corner of franz and w. Grand parkway, will host a community wide garage sale on Saturday March 2, 2013, from 7:30 AM to 12 noon, in the school gym (rain or shine). 12x12 spaces are available to rent for $30, if interested. Please contact Ana Sanchez at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding community garage sale. Space is limited, so act fast!
a style for every point of view™
Spring Craft Shows St. Bartholomew the Apostle Catholic Church Plans Annual Bazaar
St. Bartholomew the Apostle Catholic Church is holding their annual Bazaar on Saturday, May 4th from 6 PM to 10 PM and Sunday, May 5th from 10 AM to 5 PM on the church grounds, 5356 Eleventh Street in Old Katy. Saturday night will feature a Silent Auction, BBQ dinner and a kids meal with a Sweet Shop, as well as music and the country store. Sunday will feature the Live Auction at 1 PM, Entertainment, Food Booths, Games, Cake Walk, Dunk Tank, Country Store and will provide fun for all ages. Come on out and join us for a fun-filled family event. For more information about St. Bart’s and upcoming events, go to www.st-bart.org or call the parish office at 281-391-4758.
Fundraisers Texas Tech Parent Assoc. - Greater W. Houston Chapter Bowling FUNDRAISER
Doug and Loree Brazil, Local Owners
Manual & Motorized Window Coverings • Shutters • Draperies Wood Blinds • Honeycomb Shades • Roller & Sun Shades Vertical Blinds • Woven Woods • Roman Shades • Valances Custom Draperies • Solar Screens • And More...
es ture Seri All Signa ts c u d Pro
Each Franchise Independetly Owned & Operated
Professional Measuring & Installation Residential & Commercial Call today for your Free In-Home Consultation & Estimate
www.budgetblinds.com Serving Katy, West Houston and Sugarland
Our bowling event in January is a fundraising event for Texas Tech students, through Texas Tech Parent Association - Greater West Houston
LOU'S PAINTING, Ltd. • Interior - Exterior Your home is an expensive investment! Painting beautifies & preserves that investment!
• Power Washing • Sheetrock & Texture • HardiPlank® Replacement • Minor Repairs Free Estimates
Keep Kids Connected Aluminum Can Recycling Collection
"Doing business from the same location since 1978"
Honesty Experience Excellence
• Design, Planning and Installation • Complete Landscape Make-over • Smart Irrigation “Work is impeccable and creative!” LB Jason Watt, RLA - Registered Landscape Architect
Serving Houston Since 1996
Chapter. Our bowling event will be held at Copperfield Bowl on Sunday, January 6th from 3-5 pm. Cost per person is $20 and includes 2 hours of bowling and shoe rental. Open to Texas Tech parents and students. RSVP is required. Visit www.texastechparents.org/group/GWH for more information.
Keep Kids Connected currently has a program called “Cans for a Cure” where aluminum beverage cans are collected and recycled and the proceeds are used to purchase computers and for pediatric cancer research. When: Saturday, Jan. 12, 2013 & February 9, 2013, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Where: Tradition Bank 550 Pin Oak, Katy 77494 (map) What: Aluminum Can Recycling Collection - Drop off your aluminum beverage cans to be recycled. Why: The money collected from recycling the cans is used to purchase computers. Thanks to Tradition Bank on Pin Oak Blvd. in Old Katy Remember - Every 2nd Saturday from 9 am - 12 pm To date Keep Kids Connected has delivered 349 computers to children with cancer or other life-threatening illnesses. This was made possible with the generosity of our donors and supporters. Keep Kids Connected is a 501 (c) (3) Non-Profit Organization through the generous donations of our patrons and sponsors, we are working with hospitals and doctors to provide Netbook computers to children with cancer or other life-threatening illnesses. For more information, contact Keep Kids Connected at: P.O. Box 1127, Katy, TX 77492 or email@example.com Potential computer recipients can check eligibility requirements and download an application at www.keepkidsconnected.org
Need Window Coverings? Call Robin Now! Custom Draperies and Bedding Blinds ◆ Shades ◆ Shutters
Schedule a no-obligation consultation for: ◆ ◆
At-home shopping convenience Style, color, and fabric recommendations
Competitive pricing (credit cards accepted)
Special event planned? Ask about Rush Orders! Robin Brodie is an interior designer with over 25 years’ experience in the Katy / Houston area. Specializing in custom window and bedding fashions, she will work with you one-on-one to achieve custom designer solutions for your home at competitive prices. You’ll enjoy Robin’s friendly, relaxed approach to design!
Robin Brodie Interiors Innovative Window & Bedding Fashions
281-235-2667 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Purchases of $500 or more one coupon per household Expires 1/31/13
Family Fun at the Historic Log Cabin Grand Re-Opening
On Saturday, January 12th, from 12:30 - 5 PM, the public is invited to attend the Grand Re-Opening of the historic log cabin in the Edith L. Moore Nature Sanctuary, 440 Wilchester Blvd., Houston, TX. The cabin has just undergone a major restoration program and is now open once again for the many adult and children’s nature programs sponsored by Houston Audubon and the Audubon Docent Guild. Bring the family and tour the log cabin, meet live animals, enjoy nature activities and crafts and meet “Edith Moore,” the original owner of the cabin, as interpreted by local actress Linda Royce. This event is free. Please park in the Memorial Drive United Methodist Parking lot located at 12955 Memorial Drive and enter the nature sanctuary through the marked gate. visit www.houstonaudubon.org for more information.
in The cost is $5 per child (or buy a 5-session card for $20) and the child must be accompanied by an adult during the program. Please park in the Memorial Drive United Methodist Church west parking lot at 12955 Memorial Drive and enter the sanctuary through the marked gate. The program will be held in the outdoor classroom. Call 713-464-4900 or go to www.houstonaudubon.org for more information.
GIRLZ GONE RIGHT
• Right Foundation • Right Character • Right Relationships featuring Pam Stenzel Presented by Pregnancy Help Center of West Houston When: Thursday January 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM CST -toSaturday January 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM CST
NATURE PROGRAM FOR PRESCHOOL-AGED CHILDREN
Enjoy the outdoors with your child (age 2 1/2 to 5) at Audubon nature programs (called the “Titmouse Club”) offered Tuesday mornings, 10:00 - 11:00 AM, at the Edith L. Moore Nature Sanctuary, 440 Wilchester. The programs feature fun nature talks, stories, activities and walks in the woods. Upcoming programs include: April 2nd & 3rd: Animal Babies January 22nd & 23rd: Skunks April 9th & 10th: Busy Bees January 29th & 30th: Alligators April 16th & 17th: Fish February 5th & 6th: Snakes th th April 23rd & 24th: Frogs February 12 & 13 : Bird Valentines th th April 30th & May 1st: Dragonflies February 19 & 20 : Insects & Inverts February 26th & 27th: Roly Poly Bugs May 7th & 8th: Turtles May 14th & 15th: Pond Adventure March 5th & 6th: Ants th th March 12 & 13 : Ladybugs March 19th & 20th: Birdwatching March 26th & 27th: Wildflowers & Gardening
Where: Pregnancy Help Center of West Houston 1450 E. Summitry Circle Katy, TX 77449 HOUSTON, we have a problem! Adults who are too busy, too tired, too whatever to be bothered TEACHING and MODELING respect and integrity to their students, decide it is better to just offer them the morning after pill at SCHOOL, without consent of parents! Be realistic, they are ALL going to “do it anyway!” What message are we sending our young people? Who is going to speak TRUTH in love to this generation of young women? Where are they going hear that they are valuable? From MTV? FACEBOOK? The boy sitting behind them in Math? The school clinic handing them a chemical hormonal drug cocktail? It is time to WAKE-UP. We need to remind ourselves and those we place our children in the care of, that PARENT’S MATTER and that going behind our backs is not, nor will EVER BE in the best interest of our girls.
If you could have partnered with the Doctors when they created Proactiv Solutions©, where would you be now? Why not you? Why not NOW? From the creators of Proactiv©, the world’s most successful acne treatment. A breakthrough approach for treating aging skin and creating new independent business opportunities. For more information about getting the best skin of your life or to be a part of of this exploding market with this business opportunity, check out my website or call me directly.
Turn Back the Clock!
Live Your Dream Life!
acne • Post-acne marks • eczema • rosacea •
inflammation • age sPots • melaisma
• Wrinkles • loss of firmness • Pores • sun Damage •
allergies • reDness • cosmetic intolerance • Dullness •
Pediatric Dentist of Katy, PA Benjamin T. Po Jr., DDS 24022 Cinco Village Center Blvd. Suite 210 • Katy, TX 77494
281-693-9100 www.PediatricDentistofKaty.com Most Insurance Plans Accepted
New Patients Welcome Children’s Play Area
• Thursday, January 17, 2013 - we would like to invite you (Pastors, Community Leaders, Educators) to LUNCH with Pam Stenzel. • Friday, January 18, 2013 - come join us for a frank discussion of how PARENTS MATTER (Parents, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Brothers, Sisters & children included). • Saturday, January 19, 2013 - This “morning out” is for TEEN GIRLS and their Mom’s (Aunts, Grandmothers, Sisters)! It is a simple event that brings mom’s and daughters together to begin conversations that will help teen girls be TRANSFORMED by God’s WORD and not conformed to the WORLD! Don’t be the one that says “It’s hopeless, they are all doing it anyway.” Be the one that says “You are valued, you are loved, you are worth respecting and you have the strength and grace you need to make the right choice!!” Will you join me? Register now… Go to www.phckaty.org for more information or call 281-5990909. Houston
Livestock Show and Rodeo TICKETS
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is one of the Southwest’s largest charities, as well as the world’s largest show. Each year, nearly 35,000 students are impacted by the Show through competitions, scholarships and more. Since the inception of its scholarship program in 1957, HLSR has committed more than $300 million to Texas students and education programming Half-Price Carnival Packs are now on SALE. The carnival books have scan cards instead of actual little tickets as well as food coupons. The $50 book ($131.50 value) contains 2 scan cards with 75 “ticket credits” on each and the $10 book ($30.50 value) has 1 scan card with 22 “ticket credits.” AGAIN this year - The Carnival Scan Cards are good for MIDWAY GAMES, as well as the RIDES! Get your World Championship BBQ tickets and Reliant Park admission tickets on-line as well! NOT INTERESTED IN GOING TO THE CARNIVAL YOURSELF? You can send an Armed Forces member to enjoy the Carnival! In 2012, HLSR welcomed thousands of military men/women and their families to Houston. Through donations, these service personnel were able to enjoy the rides and games at the HLSR carnival. Would you be willing to make that happen? You can donate online with your credit card and designate it to the HLSR Armed Forces Day. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a Section 501(c)(3) charity, so your donation is tax deductible. Every dollar you contribute says thank you to our troops! The dates for 2013 events are: February 21st - February 23rd World’s Championship BBQ Contest February 25th - March 14th RODEOHOUSTON (visit www.hlsr.com for more details on entertainment lineup) To order now, view this secure link: https://secure.rodeohouston.com/carnivaltickets/?salescode=1001389 or download this QR code to go directly to the order page: or log onto www.hlsr.com - Go to Ticket icon on top, click Half-Price Carnival Packs, click “BUY NOW” to purchase. Enter KEY CODE: 1001389 or select Leanne M. Wells to buy tickets. The RODEOHOUSTON entertainer lineup will be released in early January, with 5 entertains already announced. So start making your plans now and get your 1/2 price carnival value packs TODAY! Contact Leanne Wells at 281-770-2093 or email email@example.com to get your Half-Price Carnival Packs.
KS Fabrication, LLC
Epiphany Church will host Job Fair for Professionals
Job Fair for Professionals on Thursday, January 24, 2012, from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM at Epiphany Church at 1530 Norwalk Drive. The event is free and there will be 50 companies represented for jobs from Receptionist to Vice President in the areas of finance, healthcare, IT and engineering to name a few. A list of the companies that are participating and the openings they have, will be given to job candidates on the morning of the fair. To ensure we have the most current information from our participating employers, this list will not be distributed prior to the day of the event. This event is geared toward degreed, career-minded, professional job candidates. Candidates with no/some college, but substantial related work experience would also be well suited for this event. Bring plenty of resumes.
Gates / Operators welding • repairs • custom fabrication
4019 Roland Rd. Katy, TX 77493 e y
web: ksweld.com firstname.lastname@example.org
FREDDY’S PAINTING www.freddyspainting.net
• Exterior & Interior Paint • Faux Finish/Color Assessment
• Hardiplank Installation • Wood Replacement • Siding Replacement & Repair
CINCO RANCH BRANCH LIBRARY (FT. BEND CO. LIB.)
• Sheetrock Repair & Retexturing
2620 Commercial Center Blvd., Katy, TX 77494, 281-395-1311, Hours Mon. 12 Noon - 9 PM, Tues. 10 AM - 9 PM, Wed. 10 AM - 6 PM, Thurs. 10 AM - 9 PM, Fri. 12 Noon - 5 PM, Sat. 10 AM - 5 PM, Sun. Closed. All programs are free and open to the public. For more information, call the Cinco Ranch Branch Library at 281-395-1311 or the library’s Public Information Office at 281-341-2677.
Insured & Bonded
e y r w
25 Years Experience • Work Guaranteed • Free Estimates
New Year’s Day - January 1st Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - January 21st
SPECIAL EVENTS: Children’s Book Week - January 20th-26th
Every Fort Bend County baby born during this week may receive a special baby book bag, courtesy of the Friends of Fort Bend County Library. Each bag contains a book, a bib, a special certificate, a list of suggested reading for children and information on parenting and on library services. Baby book bags will be given to babies born during that week at OakBend Medical Center in Richmond, Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Hospital, Methodist Sugar Land Hospital and the Fort Bend Family Health Center, but ALL Fort Bend County babies who are born during Children’s Book Week are eligible to receive one, while supplies last. Families of Fort Bend babies born at other locations during Children’s Book Week should call the Youth Services department, at 281-341-2634, to receive their book bag.
6734 Westheimer Lakes N Drive Katy, TX 77494 Full Service Veterinary Care (Next to La Finca Mexican Restaurant on 1093)
• Vaccinations and WellPet Plans • Spay / Neuter / Surgery • Medicine • Heartworm/Flea on &Vaccinations Tick Prevention with • Allergy Treatmentour WellPet Plans • Arthritis and Pain Management • In-House Laboratory/Digital X-Ray
FREE EXAM With Coupon. Not valid with any other offer. One per family • Expires on 7-31-12
Full Service Veterinary Care
F R E E N E W P• Vaccinations E T E XandAWellPet M Plans
Family Reading Club - January 20th-March 2nd
This six-week program is designed to encourage families to read, learn and have fun together. All Fort Bend County families are eligible to participate. Families who read 36 books or 6 hours - 6 books per week or 60 minutes per week - will be entered into a drawing for a $50 dining gift card, donated by the Friends of the Library. Each branch library will have a drawing for the gift card on March 4th. A single registration is required for each participating family. An adult (parent or guardian) is asked to register the family online by going to the library’s website (www.fortbend.lib.tx.us) and clicking on the “Family Reading Club Sign-Up” image, which will become available January 19th. Families may also register at one of the libraries in the Fort Bend County library system. Upon registering, families will then have their own online page on which to record their books or reading time. There is no charge to join the Family Reading Club. The program is sponsored by Fort Bend County Libraries and the Friends of the Library organizations that support the county library system.
• Spay / Neuter / Surgery With coupon. Not valid with any other offer. 1 coupon per family • Medicine • Heartworm / Flea & Tick Prevention 6734Treatment Westheimer Lakes N Dr. • Allergy • Arthritis & Katy, Pain Management TX. 77494 • In-House Laboratory / Digital X-Ray
(next to La Finca Mexican Restaurant on 1093) Hours: M-F 7am - 6pm • Sat 8am - 12pm
Hours: M-F 7am-6pm • Sat 8am - 12pm
www.thewellpetcenter.com www.thewellpetcenter.com Accepting Appointments and Drop-Offs Now wery Accepting Appointments and Drop-Offs Now
Come learn and have fun! 3514 Greenbusch Rd. Katy, Texas 77494 Phone: (832) 437- 6186
Early swim lessons set a positive foundation towards a lifetime of participation in a variety of water sports and aquatic adventures. Our goal at Texas Swim Academy is to provide the families in Katy and the greater Houston area access to a result oriented swimming program. We will advance students from water safety to confident water enjoyment.
Email: email@example.com • www.texasswimacademy.com • CINCO RANCH NIGHT READERS’ TO DISCUSS ‘The Eye of Jade’ - The Night Readers’ book club will meet on Thursday, January 17th beginning at 7:00 PM, in Conference Room 2. The literary-review club is free and open to the public. • ADULT COMPUTER CLASSES - All computer classes will take place in the Computer Lab. Reservations are required. To register online at the library’s website (www.fortbend.lib.tx.us), click on “Calendar,” select “Cinco Ranch Branch Library” and find the program. Participants may also register by calling the library at 281-395-1311 or by visiting the library. Google Tools: Tuesday, January 8th - 10:00 AM eBay for Beginners: Thursday, January 17th - 10:00 AM MS Excel 2007 Survival Basics: Thursday, January 24th - 10:00 AM MS Word 2007 Survival Basics: Tuesday, January 29th - 10:00 AM
WEEKLY CHILDREN’S PROGRAM SCHEDULE
• Mother Goose Time: Tuesdays at 10:30 am, provides caregiver/infant activities and songs especially designed for the youngest book-lovers, from age 1 month to 12 months. Library closed December 25th. • Toddler Time: Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10:30 am - offers caregiver/child activities, stories and songs for older babies, from 12 to 36 months of age. • Story Time: Age 3-6, where they hear stories, watch movies and participate in age-appropriate craft activities, beginning at 2:00 pm each Tuesday. • Pajama Night Story Time: Thursdays at 7:00 pm - gives families an evening option for the activities presented during the daytime. • Kinder Korner: a time for kindergartners to enjoy stories, movies, crafts and other activities - takes place on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays at 4:30 PM. • The After-School Breaks: 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month at 4:30 PM - crafts, movies, stories and more for school-aged children entering first through fifth grades. • The Tween Café, which begins at 4:30 PM on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month, is designed for youth in the 6th – 8th grade.
Fort Bend County Libraries (FBCL) Public Information Office - 281-341-2677
Children’s Book Week - January 20th-26th Every Fort Bend County baby born during this week may receive a special baby book bag, courtesy of the Friends of Fort Bend County Library. Each bag contains a book, a bib, a special certificate, a list of suggested reading for children and information on parenting and on library services. Baby book bags will be given to babies born during that week at OakBend Medical Center in Richmond, Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Hospital, Methodist Sugar Land Hospital and the Fort Bend Family Health Center, but ALL Fort Bend County babies who are born during Children’s Book Week are eligible to receive one, while supplies last. Families of Fort Bend babies born at other locations during Children’s Book Week should call the Youth Services department, at 281-341-2634, to receive their book bag. Family Reading Club - January 20th-March 2nd This six-week program is designed to encourage families to read, learn and have fun together. All Fort Bend County families are eligible to participate. Families who read 36 books or 6 hours - 6 books per week or 60 minutes per week - will be entered into a drawing for a $50 dining gift card, donated by the Friends of the Library. Each branch library will have a drawing for the gift card on March 4th. A single registration is required for each participating family. An adult (parent or guardian) is asked to register the family online by going to the library’s website (www.fortbend.lib.tx.us) and clicking on the “Family Reading Club Sign-Up” image, which will become available January 19th. Families may also register at one of the libraries in the Fort Bend County library system. Upon registering, families will then have their own online page on which to record their books or reading time. There is no charge to join the Family Reading Club. The program is sponsored by Fort Bend County Libraries and the Friends of the Library organizations that support the county library system.
Fulshear/Simonton Branch Library (FT. BEND CO. LIB.)
8100 FM 359 South, Fulshear, Texas 77441, 281-633-4675 Hours: Mon. 12 Noon - 8 PM, Tues. 10 AM - 6 PM, Wed. 10 AM - 6 PM, Thurs. 10 AM - 8 PM, Fri. 12 Noon - 5 PM, Sat. 10 AM - 5 PM, Sun. Closed. Website: www.fortbend.lib.tx.us Public Information Office - 281-341-2677.
New Year’s Day - January 1st Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - January 21st
“Snowmen” - A collection of snowmen, some of which are handmade, will be on display throughout the month of January.
• Para Los Niños Bilingual Story Time for Families - January 4th, 11:00 AM-1:00 PM, Cross Creek Ranch Community Room, 6450 Cross Creek Bend Lane, Fulshear. Enjoy a special bilingual (English/Spanish) story time for families with children from 3-8 years of age. Reservations encouraged; call 281-633-4675. Please note that this program is not at the library. • There’s an App for That! - January 9th, 10:15 AM, Meeting Room. Learn about the free or low-cost apps (applications) that can be downloaded to digital mobile devices,, such as iPhones or Androids. The apps are available in a variety of categories, such as Health and Fitness, Business, Finance, Sports, Travel, Food and Drink, Entertainment, Games, Education, News and much more. Find out how you can stay on top of world affairs, manage your finances, get the latest sports scores, find a movie time at a theater or a place to eat or simply relax with a game or a book – all conveniently available on your mobile device! Reservations required. To register online at the library’s website (www.fortbend.lib.tx.us), click on “Calendar,” select Bob Lutts Fulshear/Simonton Branch Library” and find the program. Participants may also register by calling the library at 281-633-4675 or by visiting the library.
• Fulshear Book Club - Monday, January 28th, 12:00 noon, Meeting Room. The book to be discussed is Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, written by Dai Sijie. • Fulshear Night Readers Guild - Monday, January 28th, 6:30 PM, Meeting Room. The book to be discuss is Interred With Their Bones, written by Jennifer Lee Carrell.
Serving Katy, Fort Bend and Surrounding Areas... With Quality For Over 49 Years • Maintenance • Repairs • Renovations • Acid Washing • Re-Plastering • Re-Coping • Filters • Pumps • Heaters • Automatic Cleaners • APSP Registered & Certified Techs
• Weekly Pool Cleaning Service • Repairs • Renovations
Factory Warranty Service for Pentair w e
• Handyman Services • Cabinet Knobs & Pulls (Installed) • Door & Jamb Replacements • Carpentry Joseph L. Coats • Closet Renovations 30+ Years Experience • Painting • Sheetrock • Insured • References
WEEKLY CHILDREN’S PROGRAM SCHEDULE
The library presents a variety of free children’s programs - Toddler Time, Story Time and School-Age Programs - every month. These programs are free and open to the public. • Toddler Time - Tuesdays at 10:15 AM, offers caregiver/child activities, stories and songs for older babies, from 12 to 36 months of age. The library will be closed on January 1st. • Story Time - Thursdays at 10:15 AM, 3 to 6 years of age, presents stories, movies and participate in age-appropriate craft activities. Story Time will not take place on January 3rd. • The After-School Breaks - 4th Tuesday of the month at 4:30 PM, crafts, movies, stories and more for school-aged children in grades 1 through 5. For more information on any of the above-mentioned events, call the library or the library’s Public Information Office at 281-341-2677.
AQUA CLEAR Pool Service
• Weekly Pool Maintenance & Repair Weekly Service Starting at $90 per month.
• 1 Month FREE with New Service • Family Owned & Operated in Katy w e y Richard & Shelley Roberts
GEORGE MEMORIAL Branch Library (FT. BEND CO. LIB.)
1001 Golfview Drive, Richmond, Texas 77469, 281-342-4455 Hours: Mon. 9 AM - 9 PM, Tues. 9 AM - 9 PM, Wed. 9 AM - 9 PM, Thurs. 9 AM - 9 PM, Fri. 9 AM - 5 PM, Sat. 9 AM - 5 PM, Sun. 1 PM - 5 PM. Website: www.fortbend.lib.tx.us Public Information Office - 281-341-2677. To register online for any event (www.fortbend.lib.tx.us), click on “Calendar,” select “George Memorial Library,” and find the program. Participants may also register by calling the library at 281-341-2604 or by visiting the library.
Good Kid... ...Bad Choice
Defense of Juvenile Crimes
ay Westpark Tollw
Adams Law Firm
La Centerra at Cinco Ranch 23501 Cinco Ranch Blvd Ste H205 Katy, Texas 77494
GoodKid-BadChoice.com LIBRARY CLOSINGS
New Year’s Day - January 1st Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - January 21st • Free ACT Practice Test - Saturday, January 12th, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Room 2B. A representative from Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions will administer the test. Bring two #2 pencils and a non-graphing calculator if available. A followup session will take place on Saturday, January 19th, 10:00-11:00 AM, Room 2B, to review scores and strategize ways to improve. Reservations required. • Family-History Research: U.S. Military Records - Tuesday, January 15th, 10:00 AM, Computer Lab. Learn how to trace family history using military records such as draft-registration cards, Civil War service records and pension-application files. Staff will also introduce the library’s microfilm collection of indexes to the Revolutionary War, the Mexican War, the Civil War and World War I. Online resources, such as the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System website and the American Civil War Homepage, will also be discussed. Reservations required. • Saturday Movie Matinee - Saturday, January 19th, 2:00 PM, Room 2B. This month’s movie is based on the remarkable true story of Michael Oher, a homeless and traumatized boy who became an All-American football player and first-round draft pick with the help of a caring woman and her family. The movie stars Sandra Bullock, Tim McGraw, Kathy Bates and Quinton Aaron and is rated PG-13. • Family-History Research: Historic Newspapers - Tuesday, January 22nd, 10:00 AM, Computer Lab. Learn how to find and search archived editions of historic newspapers to discover details about the daily lives of people in the past. Reservations required. • Toddlers & Technology - Saturday, January 26th, 10:00 AM. Youth Department. Families with toddlers from 12 to 36 months of age are invited to attend a demonstration of the Early Learning Station computers and the educational games that are available on them. • Book Break - Thursday, January 24th, at 12:00 noon, Room 2D. The book to be discussed is Salvage the Bones, written by Jesmyn Ward. Those attending may bring a lunch.
• ADULT COMPUTER CLASSES: All computer classes take place in the Computer Lab. Seating is limited and reservations are required. Typing Basics - Monday, January 7th, 9:00 AM Mouse Practice for Scaredy Cats - Wednesday, January 9th, 10:00 AM Computers 101 - Thursday, January 10th, 10:00 AM MS Word Survival Basics - Wednesday, January 16th, 10:00 AM Hands-On Internet - Thursday, January 17th, 10:00 AM MS Excel Survival Basics - Wednesday, January 23rd, 10:00 AM
WEEKLY CHILDREN’S PROGRAM SCHEDULE
The library presents a variety of free children’s programs - Mother Goose Time, Toddler Time, Story Time, Pajama Night Story Time, Kinder Korner and After-School Breaks - every month. These programs are free and open to the public. • Mother Goose Time: Tuesdays at 11:00 AM, provides caregiver/infant activities and songs especially designed for the youngest book-lovers, from age 1 month to 12 months. Mother Goose Time will not take place on January 1st. • Toddler Time: Thursdays at 10:00 AM, offers caregiver/child activities, stories and songs for older babies, from 12 to 36 months of age. Toddler Time will not take place on January 3rd. • Story Time: 3 to 6 years of age, Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:00 AM, presents stories, movies and age-appropriate craft activities. Story Time will not take place on January 2nd and 5th. • Pajama Night Story Time: 2nd and 4th Thursday at 6:30 PM, gives families an evening option for some activities presented during the daytime. • Kinder Korner: 1st Thursday of the month at 4:00 PM, a time for kindergartners to enjoy stories, movies, crafts and other activities. Kinder Korner will not take place in January.
• The After-School Breaks: 3rd Thursday of the month at 4:00 PM, crafts, movies, stories and more for school-aged children in grades 1 through 5. • The Teen Programs: 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month at 6:00 PM, designed for youth in grades 6-8. The Teen Program will not take place on January 5th. For more information about any of our events, call the library’s Public Information Office at 281-341-2677.
Become a Tutor-Understand our Student’s Lifelines
Become an essential part of a student’s life by signing up to be a tutor for the Literacy Council! The Literacy Council of Fort Bend County holds tutor training every other month. After 12 hours of training, outstanding volunteers are equipped to teach Basic Literacy and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes to adults. The trainings prepare tutors to organize and compile lesson plans, learn about various tutoring techniques, understand the purpose of the Literacy Council and much more. Tutors do not need knowledge of any foreign language, nor do they need formal teaching experience. We offer many locations for tutoring throughout the area, including locations in Katy. Tutoring sessions are offered during the day and at night. If you are interested in impacting someone’s life by being their tutor, please contact the Literacy Council at 281-240-8181 or visit the website at www.ftbendliteracy. org. Help us to “Change Lives Through Literacy!”
Pilates Motion GYROTONIC®, Pilates, Yoga, Reiki, Massage and Craniosacral Therapy
• Body awareness/posture • Core Strength • Circulation/coordination • Health & well being
• Back, Neck & Joint Pain • Tension & Stress
• Range of motion/flexibility • Flow of energy
Purchase of 5 Individual Sessions
21322 Provincial Blvd.
Volunteers needed at MEMORIAL HERMANN KATY HOSPITAL
Memorial Hermann Katy Hospital has volunteer opportunities available. Whether you are interested in working in the nursery, at our reception desk, in our gift shop or even transporting patients, we have a place for you. For more information, please contact Brenda Kepner, Manager of Volunteer Services at 281-644-7581.
The Thomas A. Glazier Senior Education Center Has VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE
POOLS, HARDSCAPES & LANDSCAPES • NEW POOL CONSTRUCTION • • POOL REMODELS & REPAIRS • • POOL CLEANING SERVICE • Weekly pool maintenance
STAY ACTIVE. STAY ENGAGED. A new place for seniors to learn, located at 16600 Pine Forest Lane, near Texas 6 and Clay Road. Free classes available to Harris County residents 55 and older on subjects ranging from basic computer skills to digital photography to astronomy, photo editing and memory enhancement. We need you in our classrooms! Get free volunteer training. Teach your own computer class. Contact us now at 713-274-3250 or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Operated by Harris County Precinct Three Commissioner Steve Radack.
• PATIO COVERS & ARBORS • • DECKS •
Flagstone, pavers, spray deck & stamped concrete
• LANDSCAPE DESIGN & INSTALLATION • Custom landscapes, water features and stonework
• IRRIGATION (Lic. 8260) •
Sprinkler system / drainage installation and repair
KATY QUILTERS NEEDS HELP FOR CHARITIES
• LAWN CARE •
Basic lawn maintenance & full-service packages
Calling on all the quilters in the area to help make pillowcases and small blankets. This last year we donated over 200 pillowcases and small blankets to various charities. The demand is even higher with all of the families that have lost their homes because of the fires in and around our area. We need you and we have fabric that has been donated but we need your hands and time to make someone smile. If you would like to help, call the Katy Quilters, Shari Medford at 281-635-3000.
• LIGHTSCAPES •
Quality lighting & installation
Visit us at
e y r w
Houston Area Project Linus
Houston Area Project Linus, a nonprofit organization that provides new, handmade blankets for children who are seriously ill or traumatized, can use the following items you might be discarding: • Fabri-cotton, cotton blends, flannel and fleece • Yarn • Crochet thread • Narrow ribbon If you have any of these items to donate or for information about Project Linus, please call Karen Hagin, Cinco Ranch resident and Project Linus blanketeer 281-693-7150 or Sally Burns, Houston Area Project Linus Coordinator 281-492-2679. More information about Project Linus can be found at www.projectlinus.org.
Texas Wildlife Rehabilitation Coalition, Inc VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES FOR WILDLIFE ADVOCATES
Enjoy a rewarding volunteer experience with wildlife. Texas Wildlife Rehabilitation Coalition, Inc. is a non-profit organization, which serves as an emergency care and rehabilitation facility for orphaned, ill, and injured native Texas wildlife. Volunteers are welcome in the areas of assisting in the daily functions of the center, assisting with public education programs, and wildlife rehabilitation. Located at 10801 Hammerly, Suite 200, the facility is open seven days a week to help wildlife in need. TWRC has a mentor program in place to assist volunteers with “hands on” training for those interested in becoming permitted rehabilitators. We invite you to join our organization in saving Texas wildlife – one animal at a time. Call the center at 713468-8972 x158 for more information or email the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com. Visit our website at www.twrc-houston.org.
Volunteers Needed IN KATY We Believe In The Power Of Second Chances
CROSSROADS mentors are regular people, just like you, who prevent or reduce youth involvement with the juvenile justice system by fostering positive mentoring relationships. The goal is crime prevention! Our mentors must be 21 years of age and volunteer a minimum of 1 hour a week. There are many sites, areas and available times of the week for mentors to meet with their assigned child. We desperately need loving and caring mentors for boys and girls that do not have anyone visiting them! Please consider devoting just one hour a week to the future of a needy child, many times you are their only visitors. Contact Jan Sadler Gibbs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-295-2779.
LOU PLASTIC SURGERY plastic | reconstructive | aesthetic
Pregnancy Help Center seeks new volunteers
DEREK C. LOU, M.D. 713-932-7290
915 Gessner #470 • Houston, 77024
Fondren Orthopedic Group, L.L.P. Conveniently located at Memorial Hermann - Memorial City Hospital
Invest your time by volunteering with Pregnancy Help Center of West Houston educating and supporting men and women in making healthy choices for life in sexual integrity, unplanned pregnancy and post-abortion loss. Volunteer opportunities include mentoring, facilitating small groups, administrative assistance, medical services, donation room and development. Discover your calling! For information inquire through the web site email@example.com or call 281578-0078, Volunteer Services Coordinator. The Pregnancy Help Center of West Houston is a non-profit faith based organization.
Eugene C. Lou, M.D., P.A.
SIRE, Houston’s Therapeutic Equestrian Centers
General Orthopedic Surgery
713-722-7454 915 Gessner #470 • Houston, 77024 firstname.lastname@example.org
The only time our clients say they feel free is when they’re riding a horse in a brisk walk around the arena or driving a carriage through the wooded pastures or feel the nudge of a horse’s muzzle at their shoulder saying, “I’m glad to see you, my friend.”
Office: 281/646-1136 • Mobile: 281/797-1600 • e-mail: email@example.com
Selling Your Home Is a VISUAL Thing Over 90% of all home buyers use the internet to search for a home Let me put you MILES ahead of the competition • • •
Visual Tours linked to popular web-sites Maximum quality photos linked to web-sites On-Line Sellers Advantage Program
Show off your home with on-line photo marketing!
©2012 Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate LLC. A Realogy Company. All Rights Reserved. Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate LLC fully supports the principles of the Fair Housing Act and the Equal Opportunity Act. Each Office is Independently Owned and Operated. Better Homes and Gardens, the Better Homes and Garden Real Estate logo are registered service marks owned by Meredith Corporation and licensed to Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate LLC.
Nothing else can compare with therapy on horseback. Equine-assisted activities improve physical balance and coordination, mental acuity, emotional stability and social interactions. At SIRE, we see miracles on horseback happen every day. The work of our dedicated volunteers helps guarantee that children and adults with disabilities in the Greater Houston Area will have the programs they need to live longer, healthier, more productive lives. In addition to their weekly work in the arena, many of our volunteers donate their time and talents at fund-raising events such as our annual Ride-A-Thon and the yearly Trailblazers Luncheon. Volunteers are on hand during the NARHA on-site certification and annual SIRE Show-Off and volunteers are vital to our Clients’ successes at the Top Hands Horse Show, during the Houston Rodeo and competition at the regional and state Special Olympics. Therapeutic horseback riding creates a bond of success between the rider and their horse. Volunteers are their own personal cheering section and the instructor is their mentor and coach. Clients become more empowered and better equipped to fully live their lives, each day. To volunteer, please call one of our arenas and ask to speak with a volunteer coordinator. SIRESpring, call 281-353-6160. SIREHockley, call 281356-7588. SIRE Fort Bend at Sienna Stables, call 281-431-1741.
A New Faith Community Meets 10:00 AM Sunday Jan. 13, 2013
www.newcreationfulshear.org January 20th-26th Food Drive “Meat for KCM Food Pantry” held at Dozier’s Meat Market & local businesses
Free coffee & hot chocolate with Pastor Dale at the Sweet Tooth Shoppe Jan. 12th 2-4 PM
832-492-5136 Irene Stern Community Center 6920 Katy-Fulshear Rd.
volunteers needed at AUTUMN GROVE COTTAGE
Do you enjoy spending time with seniors? Autumn Grove Cottage is an assisted living facility for individuals with Alzheimer’s or dementia related illnesses. We are interested in volunteers socializing with our Residents. We are a small cottage, close to your neighborhood, with just 16 Residents. If you would like to volunteer in a cozy, home-like atmosphere then call the Volunteer Coordinator at 281-398-6845 or visit our website www. autumngrovecottage.com. Come be a part of our philosophy - “To honor our Residents and those who love and care for them.” Volunteers will need to complete a volunteer application and attend a brief training session.
become a Sunrise Volunteer
Fond Memories and Treasured Traditions Start Here…Enrich lives through your generous gift of service as a Sunrise Volunteer. Please call Ozzie Ausborn, Activity and Volunteer Coordinator, for opportunities and details, at 281-240-0500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Sunrise Assisted Living of Cinco Ranch is located at 21939 Cinco Ranch Blvd., Katy, Texas 77450. We have partnered with Disney and the Helping Hands Network, please inquire to learn how you could qualify for tickets to Disney! For more information, visit our website at www.sunriseseniorliving.com.
Meet with other local people who will gather and discuss/plan community service projects and try to figure out the best way to make a difference in our community. All volunteers welcome. Contact: Linda Wilson at 281-222-1771 or visit http://volunteerism.meetup.com/230.
INTERIOR / EXTERIOR PAINTING Quality Work at Reasonable Prices! ▪Spray or Brush & Roll ▪Wood Replacement ▪Pressure Washing ▪Sheetrock Repair
We Install Hardiplank / Hardipanel™ ( fiber-reinforced cement siding )
Complete Customer Satisfaction Has been the Key to 31 Years of Service in the Houston Area
Massage Sale! 1 Hour: $50
MANCO PAINTING, INC. www.mancopainting.com FREE ESTIMATES ▪ NO MONEY DOWN
Houston Children’s Charity
Join a group of people dedicated to improving the lives of children. If you are searching for a good cause to lend a hand to, you need look no further. Houston Children’s Charity is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for underprivileged, abused and disabled children who have been otherwise left behind. The scope of our support is limited only by the availability of resources. Our goal, the rainbow that we chase, is to leave no legitimate request for assistance unanswered.
that their sacrifices will not go unnoticed. It connects supportive civilians with deployed soldiers and offers a channel by which to communicate encouragement and express gratitude to those serving in the United States Armed Forces. Adopt A US Soldier is sustained by its volunteer workforce located across the United States. After a supporter asked a soldier what they needed, his response was as follows: “No requests, just don’t want to be forgotten.” -LCPL O.J.T. III
Do you have the time and desire to volunteer to help a great cause? We are always in need of volunteers to help throughout the year. This is a great way for school age kids to get in community service hours. Do you have gently used children’s clothing, shoes and jackets? At Houston Children’s Charity we are setting up the “HCC Closet.” All of the items donated will be given to children – not sold at a retail store. Please contact our office at 713-524-2878 or visit our website www.houstonchildrenscharity.org for more information on our organization.
When registering for Adopt A US Soldier your involvement can range from writing letters and sending postcards, to mailing care packages full of items a soldier may need or want. Handwritten letters are most important and meaningful to soldiers. Adopt A US Soldier encourages civilians to adopt a soldier to show your support for those that are making sacrifices for our country. If interested, please go to www.adoptaussoldier.org to register.
STANDUP FOR KIDS
In just 1 hour you could touch the hearts of at least 4 seniors. Do you have a little free time? Do you enjoy the company of seniors? We would love to have you volunteer your time and services to our wonderful residents. Spanish Meadows Nursing and Rehab opened its doors in the fall of 2005 bringing quality care in a luxury environment to Katy and surrounding communities. We are located at 1480 Katy Flewellen Road, Katy, TX 77494.
How would you feel if you saved a kid’s life? StandUp For Kids is an all volunteer organization dedicated to saving the lives of at-risk and homeless kids through volunteer outreach efforts. Our volunteers search the streets in order to find, stabilize and otherwise help homeless and street kids improve their lives. Every day throughout the US thirteen kids die on the streets from abuse, disease and suicide. According to recent statistics Houston has up to 2,500 kids living on the streets at any given time. Texas has the highest rate of homeless youth in the U.S. StandUp For Kids needs supplies for our Houston program, which provides food, clothing, counseling and a safe environment for the homeless youth of Houston. If you or your organization would like to hold a food or clothing drive for StandUp For Kids, please contact me at HeatherE@standupforkids.org to learn more about StandUp For Kids or how you can help, visit our website at www.standupforkids.org. The single greatest need, for homeless and street kids is our continuous caring and real support. We must convince them that we care, we want them back and we want to help them get off the streets.
Adopt A US Soldier
Adopt A US Soldier is a non-profit organization that seeks volunteers and donors to help show the brave men and women fighting for our freedom
SPANISH MEADOWS VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY
To get further information on volunteering, please contact Robbin at 281394-0088 or email@example.com. Please visit our website at www.spanish-meadows.com.
An Art Volunteer Opportunity at Houston Aphasia Recovery Center
Stephanie Schmadeke, Director of the Houston Aphasia Recovery Center (HARC), a not for profit facility which helps people recover from brain injury, is looking for volunteers to teach painting or drawing lessons to their clients. Their location is 6260 Westpark (in the West Loop/SW Freeway area). This would be perfect for someone who has time and a calling to help people or for students who are looking for community service and teaching experience. Even if you are new to art, you would have something to offer. Just give them what you know. That will be more than enough. (Paint mixing, pallets, brush
Achieve with exper tise Katy’s most advanced inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation. At Memorial Hermann Rehabilitation Hospital-Katy, we offer a comprehensive range of rehabilitative care. Our inpatient rehabilitation program features 35 private rooms, specially designed for patients recovering from stroke, neurological disorders, complex orthopedic conditions and more. And our outpatient care includes advanced physical, occupational and speech therapy, including pre and post surgical therapy, manual therapy for back, neck and extremity problems and VitalStim® dysphagia (swallowing) therapy and LSVT® for neurological disorders. For more information or to tour our facility, please call 281.579.5555.
21720 Kingsland Blvd., Suite 102 Katy, TX 77450 281.579.5555 memorialhermann.org
Obstetrical & Gynecological Associates, P.A.
SPRINKLER SYSTEMS Installation & Repair Lic# 11665
DRAIN SYSTEMS Nichole F. Cole, MD • Jennifer Huebner, MD • Amina Sayeed, MD • Obstetrics • Gynecology • Comprehensive Care For Women • Laparoscopic/Endoscopic Minimally Invasive Surgery For an appointment call
www.obgynassociates.com 23920 Katy Freeway , Ste. 480 Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza One
Call today for a FREE QUOTE
We only use Rainbird & Hunter products!
The times/days/number of students are all flexible. For more information, contact Stephanie Schmadeke, 713-628-9973 or to learn more about Aphasia, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphasia.
Katy Christian Ministries needs volunteers
This new technology in bug control ties into your sprinkler system. Rid your yard of
choices, hand positions, perspective, shading, blending, etc.) All would be a great help to someone recovering from Aphasia.
Get rid of bugs while you water your lawn!
Mosquitoes, Ticks, Fleas, Termites Roaches, Snakes, Scorpions Chinch Bugs
Child Safe • Pet Safe Lawn & Plant Safe
Here are just a few ways you can volunteer: • Like to read? Read to someone who has lost the gift of sight. • Like to play games? Our residents are always looking for participants. • Have a green thumb? Help us with our table top garden. • Got talent? Come entertain our residents and share your talent. • Do you love a party? Help with monthly events is always needed. • Got a friendly pooch? Ask how pet visits can boost a patients’ day. • Are you crafty? Help out with our arts and craft activities. • History Buff? Hear stories from those who were there.
Katy Christian Ministries Resale Stores has an URGENT need for volunteers to help with receiving/sorting donations and various other activities. Schedule flexible Monday-Saturday. Please call Michelle Johns at 281-391-5261 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.ktcm.org for more info.
If you would like to volunteer your time and/or make a donation, please contact Vicky Ashbrook for more information. Kissito Cane Island is located at 21727 Provincial Blvd. Katy, Texas 77450. The facility phone is 281-717-1302.
VOLUNTEERS WANTED at BUCKNER HOSPICE OF HOUSTON
HealthBridge Children’s Hospital, www.healthbridgehouston.com, located in the Westchase District of Houston is looking for volunteers. Our 40 bed pediatric facility helps children ages 0-21 years of age as they transition from hospital to home. Volunteers can assist our team with direct patient interactions (play, baby holding, reading, mentoring) and indirect patient care (greeters, phone reception and administrative tasks). Volunteer hours vary, please contact Ellyn Poole at email@example.com for more information.
Community of Life Volunteers in Partnership at Kissito Cane Island
Imagine if you had no one to share or even worse, you were limited in your ability to participate in the activities you love? Now, imagine how you would feel if someone volunteered to spend time with you and shared your enthusiasm? At Kissito Healthcare, we realize that when you make a difference in someone else’s life, you make a difference in your own. We recognize that our volunteers not only make a difference in the lives’ of our patients, they are the backbone of our Community of Life activities program. We invite you to be a part of the Volunteers in Partnership program at Kissito’s Cane Island facility in Katy, Texas. All of our programs and services serve a common goal: a better quality of life for the patient and ultimately isn’t that the goal we all have for ourselves? Kissito Cane Island is a post acute and long-term care facility.
Buckner Hospice of Houston is in need of volunteers. We offer many different volunteer opportunities from Patient visits to office duties. Hours of very flexible to fit your busy schedule. You donate the number of hours you can. Please contact Toni Cruse Volunteer Coordinator at 281-493-6800 or 713918-9320 for more information.
Volunteers Needed at Treasured Ones Foundation
Treasured Ones Foundation, a day habilitation program for young adults with special needs, located on 913 S. Mason Rd. in Katy, is seeking volunteer help to assist clients with arts and crafts, music, physical activity, computers and much more. For more information, please contact the volunteer coordinator, Janie at 832-766-0505 or 281-829-0284.
The Solana @ Cinco Ranch Looking for Volunteers
The Solana is in need of Katy Texas great Volunteers. We need Volunteers to spend time with residents, deliver mail, go on outings, help with activity programs, shop with them and for them. We have great opportunities for volunteers to meet new people, make friends and touch lives. If you would like to volunteer your time, please Contact Vicky Ashbrook 281-395-9600 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org . The Solana is located at 24001 Cinco Village Center Boulevard, Katy, Texas 77494.
Behlmann Law Firm, LP
Estate Planning & Asset Protection
Living Trusts, Wills & Probate Medicaid & VA Planning “Miller Trusts”, Elderlaw Powers of Attorney & Health Care Directives Special Needs Planning LLC’s & Family Limited Partnerships Business Formation & Planning
ur or o on f s u y join iew Da ry 27 e s P l e a d P r e v , J a n u a M ite: 2 n n d a y : 0 0 P ur webs rg Su at 2 VP on okeprep.o RS tla es se Plea www.w
Board Certified in Estate Planning & Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Richard Behlmann Free Initial Estate Planning & Probate Consultations Attorney
Author of “The Five Biggest Mistakes in Estate Planning”
23300 Bellaire Blvd.
Conveniently located southwest of the Grand Parkway & FM1093
21218 Kingsland Blvd., Katy, Texas 77450
• Kindergarten - 5th • PK3 and PK4 (Full Day Program) “Education for Today, Tomorrow and Eternity”
On-Site Leaded Glass Door Repairs
Volunteer Opportunities: Vantage Hospice
Do you enjoy helping others? Vantage Hospice is seeking volunteers who enjoy visiting with others. There are many opportunities for volunteers such as clerical help, helping with social activities in nursing facilities, sewing or minor handy work projects for our patients. Vantage Hospice will train all volunteers; please contact - Dawn Slezak, email@example.com or 281-878-9553.
H Glass appy
Custom Stained Glass Free Estimates Sidelights & Transoms to match your front door
Add Privacy and Beauty to your home Stained Glass Restoration & Repair Half Round/Arched Windows
Call Larry or Sandy Jones
Visit our Gallery
Support & Help Groups • KATY CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES - Help to Survivors of Sexual Assault. The 24-hour Crisis Hotline number is 281-693- RAPE (7273). NON-EMERGENCY 281-391-5262. • The Compassionate Friends (TCF) - meetings are held in the John Burns building of Kingsland Baptist Church, 20555 Kingsland Blvd in Katy, across from the Taylor High tennis courts. For more info. please visit our website, www.compassionatefriends-katy.org or contact Melinda Ginter, 281-492-1262. • The Compassionate Friends Houston West Chapter meets every second Monday at 7 pm at Tallowood Baptist Church at 555 Tallowood, room ET102. Info. at www.compassionatefriends.org and the Houston West Chapter at www.tcf.tcu.edu/index.html or by calling Greg Williams 281-345-9707. • CANCER COUNSELING (FREE CANCER SUPPORT GROUP IN KATY) - meets Thursdays from 7-8 pm at Christus St. Catherine Hospital. For registration and info., contact Cancer Counseling, 713-520-9873 or www. cancerhouston.com. Spanish-speaking available. • Free Mental Disorders Family Support Groups - Meets at a number of locations. Complete listing on www.namimetrohouston.org or call 713-970-4419.
CHURCH OF CHRIST
Yellow Brick Road Preschool 281-391-7606 Call 281-391-7808 or Sign-up Online www.katychurchofchrist.com
Sunday Bible Classes - 9 am Morning Worship 10 am Evening Worship - 6 pm Wednesday Bible Study - 7:00 pm 5458 E. 5th St.
E. 5th St.
Early Evening & Saturday Appointments
With a great education, nothing is out of reach!
• • • • • • •
Preparatory Lutheran Academy
Oh Magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together.
KATY PAINTING “Quality at a price you can afford.”
Interior & Exterior Painting Home Repairs • Pressure Washing HardiPlank Installation • Sheetrock & Texture Larry Mikeska Serving Katy since 1982 • Katy Resident 53 years
Be Safe! Service Your Heater Today!
281-347-2665 nd Free estimate or 2 opinion Air Conditioning Contractors of America
• Annual Maintenance Programs • All repairs guaranteed • Serving area since 1994
License TACLB 24777E and Insured
$25 off any repair
Duct Inspection with tune-up Expires 1/31/13
financing available WAC
• NAMI Family to Family - free mental disorders family education course. For info., please call Vi 281-893-2493 or Debbie 713-849-5637. • DEPRESSION Bipolar support alliance - For info., call the DBSA office at 713-600-1131 or check out our website at www.dbsahouston.org. • The Katy OCD/Anxiety group for parents - meets on the last Saturday of each month at 9:00 AM at La Madeline restaurant in Katy. For more information check out our website: http://shyness.meetup.com/353/. • Katy/West Houston/Sugar Land Tourette Syndrome Support Group - meets the 2nd Wednesday of each month @ 7 PM at Christus St. Catherine Annex Hospital, 2nd floor, classroom B, 701 Fry Road. For further info., please contact the support group leaders, Daryl and Barbara Brister 281-395-5392 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. • Palmer Drug Abuse Program (PDAP) - For Ages 12 to 17, call 281870-9311 or for ages 17 to 25, call 713-647-8858. • Harris county WIC PROGRAM - For additional info. about WIC, call 713-439-6145 or www.houstontx.gov/health/WIC. For a recorded message listing all Harris County WIC sites, you may call 713-439-6130. • ECI Project TYKE - If you know a child under the age of 3 who needs assistance in at least one area of development or who has a medical diagnosis or condition impacting his or her development, please call ECI Project TYKE 281-237-6647 or make a referral on our website www.katyisd.org. • Different Strokes - a support group for stroke survivors meets every Tuesday at 10:00 AM in the Senior Center, located at 13150 Memorial Dr., for fellowship, learning, sharing, exercising and loving. Call for further info.: Kay Callahan 713-461-5604 or Roberta Owens 281-463-3490. • The Arc of Katy - Board meeting is the 2nd Tuesday of each month @ 7 PM. We meet at City Police Station located at 5456 Franz Rd. The ARC of Katy members are always welcome. Please visit www.thearcofkaty.org or call 832-754-9802 or 832-888-9265 for additional info. • Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous (FA) - meets at West Houston Community Center, 725 Bateswood. For times, please see our website at www.foodaddicts.org or call 281-392-8914. • West Houston Medical Center - offers free monthly Weight Loss Surgery Support Groups and free monthly Weight Loss Surgery Informational/ Educational Classes. To inquire or register, please call 281-588-8657. • DRUG AND ALCOHOLISM FAMILY SUPPORT GROUP - Every Wednesday night from 7 – 8 PM. For more info., call 713-632-5237. • Home Encouragement - a 501(c)(3) non-profit that nurtures healthy marriages and strong families. For info., contact Kellie Hurst of Home Encouragement at 281-347-LIFE or visit our website at www. homeencouragement.org. • Katy Essential Tremor Support Group - meets bi-monthly on the second Thursday of each month, at the Heritage Grand Clubhouse, 25125 North Heritage Grand Circle, in Katy at 4:00 PM. For info., contact Betty Ann Schwarz at 281-347-2194 or email email@example.com. • Katy ADHD parent group - meets on the 2nd Sunday of every month, in room S201, at St. Peter’s United Methodist Church, 20775 Kingsland Blvd. from 6:30 to 8:30 PM. For more info., contact Laura Peddicord at 281-3926064 or firstname.lastname@example.org. • Grace Fellowship United Methodist Church - located at 2655 S. Mason Rd., Katy, 77450, offers groups for those who are hurting and healing from trials and difficulties of life. Please call the Grace Fellowship Care Ministry at 281-646-1903 for further details or see our website, www. whatisgrace.org/care.html. • st. peter’s united Methodist church support groups – We offer many different types of groups. For more info., call 281-492-8031. Located at 20775 Kingsland Blvd. • The Fellowship at Cinco Ranch offers several support and growth recovery groups through its Merimnao ministry, open to everybody in the community. Call the church at 281-395-3950 or go to www.thefellowship.org/ ministry/merimnao for more information. • Christ Clinic - No Insurance? Need medical treatment? Let us help. Christ Clinic located at 5504 First St., Katy, Texas 77493 (Next-Door to Katy Christian Ministries), 281-391-0190. • Holy Covenant United Methodist Church weekly Support Groups - Grief and Divorce care support groups. For more info., www. holycov.org or call the church 281-579-1200.
• CROSSPOINT COMMUNITY CHURCH - Celebrate Recovery meets every Wednesday from 6:30 – 8:30 PM. This is a free ongoing meeting, open to the public. For more info., go to www.crosspt.org/classes or call 281-3986464. • Katy/West Houston Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Meetup Group – monthly meetings provide info. and support for sufferers/families regarding any of these or related disorders. Sign up for more info at meetup. com (search fibromyalgia and Katy TX to find us), email email@example.com or call 281-705-4395, Vickie Tway - Facilitator, for other info. and meeting schedule. • Hopekeepers - national web site is restministries.org for more information or come to one of the local support groups. Grace Fellowship United Methodist Church (2655 S. Mason Rd) on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays at 10:30 AM. Epiphany of the Lord Church (1530 Norwalk Dr) on Mondays at 6:30 PM. • Lifeway International - an early enthusiastic substance abuse recovery program for adolescents, young adults and adults and their families, meets every Wednesday at 7:30 PM at Grace Fellowship UMC, 2655 S. Mason Rd, Katy. For more information call 713-270-6753.
Parenting Groups • LA LECHE LEAGUE OF KATY AND WEST HOUSTON - Methodist West Houston Hospital, 18500 Katy Freeway, Houston, Texas 77094. Daytime Meetings 1st Wed. of month, 10:00 AM-12:00 PM, Evening Meetings, 4th Mon. of month, 7:00-8:45 PM. For further info., please call: Susan 281829-6833, Maria 832-606-9932 (Spanish). La Leche League International’s website is: www.lalecheleague.org. • MOMS Club of Katy - please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact Jamie Ensminger, Membership VP: 832-493-1507. • MOMS @ Second - West Campus - Cost is $40 for entire year. Childcare provided for a minimal cost. For more info, call Faye at 713-4653408 x 1007.
• Bear Creek Baptist MOPS – Meets the second and forth Friday of each month at 9:30 AM. The cost is $10 per meeting for childcare and MOPS dues. For more info, contact Kristi Brock at Kristig8@hotmail.com or 281-858-4202. • Katy Moms In PRAYER International group - For info., call Leslie Power at 281-392-2357 or visit www.MomsInPrayer.org on the web. • Mothers’ Share Group - meet Thursdays, from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM following the KISD schedule; at St. Peter’s United Methodist Church, 20775 Kingsland Blvd, Katy, TX 77450 in Room E221 (upstairs). For more info. or to confirm childcare, contact St. Peter’s UMC at 281-492-8031 or www.stpkaty.org. • Mocha Moms - a Stay-At-Home Support group for women of color. For more info, contact Hesma at 281-762-0262 or www.mochamomswesthouston.org. • iBLOOM - young Moms…come share Monday mornings with us. Visit online at www.whatisgrace.org/ibloom. Grace Fellowship UMC, 2655 S Mason in Katy. • REAL MOMS OF KATY PLAYGROUP - This group is down to earth and drama free. Learn more at www.meetup.com/Real-Moms-of-Katy. • All Moms of Katy - come run AMOK with us! Contact membership at email@example.com to get involved. • WORKING Moms of Katy - group to support working moms in the Katy area Charlene Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org, 281-235-3043 or http:// groups.yahoo.com/group/workingmomsofkaty. • Katy Moms In PRAYER International group - For info., please contact Leslie Power at 281-392-2357 or visit the Moms In Prayer website at www.MomsInPrayer.org. • KATY AREA PARENTS OF MULTIPLES (KAPOM) - meets the 2nd Monday of each month at 7:00 pm at The Church of Holy Apostles located at 1225 West Grand Parkway S. For more info., please email membership@ kapom.org or visit our website www.kapom.org. • Katy Parents of Gifted and Talented Support group (KPGT) - an advocacy organization dedicated to promoting quality educational services for the gifted students in the school district. Visit our website at www.kpgt.org for a printable membership form.
ELECTRICIAN • ELECTRICIAN • ELECTRICIAN On-time Guarantee
7 Year Warranty FREE Safety Inspection Licensed & Insured
We’re On-time - You’ll See or the Repair is Free!
Save Money! Straight Forward Pricing Know the Price Before We Start!
100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed Satisfied Today ... Satisfied for Life
Clean, Courteous Service Employee Uniform Policy for Your Security.
Residential & Commercial
Off Work Performed
Not valid on service call fees. Cannot be combined with any other offers Must present coupon.
We Install or Repair Everything Electrical!**
7 Day Service
No Need to Wait! **Call for Details
100% Financing WAC
Tony Durr - Master Electrician Mr. Sparky - Houston, TX
281-617-2231 • Katy Association of Child Care Professionals - meets the third Wednesday of each month at the MUD #81 building located at Cimarron Parkway and Hidden Canyon. Refreshments are served. For more info., call 281-578-6376 or 281-392-0989. • PARENTS WITHOUT PARTNERS - For more info. about Parents Without Partners International, check out our website at www.parentswithoutpartners. org or Parent with Partners Greater Houston Chapter #63 at www. pwphouston.org. Contact Barbara 281-469-5646. • FAMILY TO FAMILY -an organization dedicated to helping families who have a child with disabilities. For more information, please all Joanie or Carolyn at 713-466-6304 or go to www.familytofamilynetwork.org. • Breath Of Life Children’s Center Clinic - We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. For questions, please call 281-398-7353. • MEMORIAL HERMANN KATY HOSPITAL - offers parenting classes, for info. call 713-222-CARE. • West Houston Medical Center - offers parenting classes. To inquire or register, please call 281-588-8065.
Community & Commerce Groups • KATY AREA REPUBLICANS KATY’S CONSERVATIVE VOICE - For info., contact Kate Diehl at 832-643-0378 or email@example.com or check our Face Book page or our website www.katyrepublicans.com. • West Fort Bend County Republican Women – For more info., contact Susan at 281-633-2277 or BurgerBizInc@aol.com. • Katy Area Democrats - meets 3rd Tuesday of the month at Briarchester club house at 7:00 PM. For info., contact Pat Darwish 281-6470986, visit ww.katydemocrats.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org. • Katy Mommy Patriots - moms meeting to join the fight to protect our children’s future by getting involved in community and political events. Meets twice a month. For more info., call Kelly Horsley 281-858-8830 or Martha Mathis 832-321-4854.
• The Rotary Club of Katy Sunrise (RCKS) - meets every Tuesday morning, at 7:00 AM, for breakfast at The Club at Falcon Point, guests and visitors welcome. For more info. visit www.katysunriserotary.com. • The Rotary Club of Katy - meets each Thursday, noon to 1:00 PM, at Hasta La Pasta, 1450 Grand Parkway, Suite E. For more info., call 281392-0045 or www.katyrotary.com. • WEST HOUSTON ROTARY CLUB - Tuesdays, 12:15 PM, West Houston Omni, North Eldridge at Katy Freeway. 281-627-0662. • Katy Toastmasters - meets the first three Thursdays of each month at 7:30 PM at Brazos Valley Schools Credit Union, 25525 Katy Mills Parkway, Katy, TX 77494. We are located behind Katy Mills Mall near Pin Oak Road. Visitors are welcome! Visit our website at http://katy.freetoasthost.org/ • Park 10 Talkers Toastmasters Club - meets every Thursday at 11:45 AM at NACE, 1440 South Creek Dr, Houston, 77084, telephone 281-228-6287. For more info. on Toastmasters, go to www.toastmasters.org. • Easy Risers Toastmasters - meets every Tuesday morning from 7 - 8 AM in the Fulbright Tower located at 1301 McKinney. For more info., contact Ed Young at email@example.com. • West Houston’s (CBMC) Christian Businessmen Committee - meet at various times and places. For more info call Houston Metro Office 713-688-4343 or visit www.houston.cbmc.com or www.cbmc.com/index.htm. • American Business Women’s Assoc. Katy Charter Chapter - meets 2nd Tuesday of each month at Hasta La Pasta (Katy) 6:00 PM. Networking begins at 6:00 pm, dinner and meeting at 6:30 pm. Email RSVP’s and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. • W. Houston Chapter, Intern’l Assoc. of Admin. Professionals (WHIAAP) - meets the fourth Tuesday of each month at Embassy Suites Huston - Energy Corridor at 11730 Katy Freeway (N. side of I10 - Kirkwood Exit). (Caroline Champness CPS/CAP caroline. email@example.com). • ABWA west houston network - meets the second Thursday of each month, 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM, at the Marriott Energy Corrridor. For more info. or to RSVP, visit our website at www.whenabwa.org.
Build a bundle. Save a bundle. Khalid Alrashed, Agent Toll Free: 877-403-1018 Fax: 713-777-0201 www.kaainsurance.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Bundle auto, home and life for big State Farm discounts. ®
So let me show you how State Farm can help protect all the things that matter most – for a lot less than you think. GET TO A BETTER STATE. CALL ME TODAY. ®
State Farm, Bloomington, IL
• Business Network International - KATY - meets every Thursday, 7:00 - 8:30 AM, for breakfast and business networking, at The Club @ Falcon Point, 24503 Falcon Point Drive, Katy, Texas 77494. Please RSVP, Ron Orlando 281-398-5661. For more info. on Katy BNI, go to www. katybni.com. • (BNI) Business Network International - Cinco Ranch meets each Tuesday morning at 7-8:30 am at Willowfork Country Club at 21055 Westheimer Parkway, Katy, Katy, TX 77450. For info., Len Tierney at 713-824-6960 or go to www.bnihouston.com and search for Cinco Ranch Chapter in Katy, Texas. • Parkway Business Partners chapter of BNI meets every Wednesday at Willow Fork Country Club in Katy. Meetings are held from 7:15 AM until 9:00 AM and visitors are welcome. For information or a reservation to attend, please call Chris at 832-252-9413. • InHouston-Katy PremIer Professional Business Networking - meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month, 4:00-8:00 PM at Vida Loca Mexican Bar and Grill, 21810 Kingsland Blvd Katy, Texas. For info., call Gail Stolzenburg 281-493-1955, email@example.com or Newell Cheatheam 713-385-3622, firstname.lastname@example.org or http:// inhouston.ning.com/events InHouston-Katy. • BIZPACK - “Connecting People in Business and Life” Networking And Breakfast $5: 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month, 7:309:00 AM at Carriage Inn 1400 Katy-Flewellen Road. For info., call Jane Moughon at 832-455-4579 or email email@example.com. • THE ULTIMATE FITNESS AND WELLNESS NETWORK - Meetings are the second Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM. Membership is free. For more information, contact Karen Narum 281-871-8920 or fitnessjourney@ live.com. • West Katy Netweavers - meets at Essence Cafe at Cross Creek Ranch Welcome Center in Fulshear every first and third Wednesday of the month, at 7:30 AM - 8:30 AM sharp. The cost of attendance is $1. For questions, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.meetup.com/ West-Katy-Netweavers/
• Katy Bar Association - an Association of Attorneys who live or work in the Katy Area, holds its monthly meeting at 12:00 PM on the fourth Tuesday of every month at Willow Fork Country Club. Contact Nick Nicholas at email@example.com or 713-752-4443 for more info. • KATY NEIGHBORS’ COFFEES - Meets monthly on the last Tuesday, at 10 AM, at members homes. There are no officers of this club and membership is free to all. For more information please contact 281-5788-2078 or 281395-1730. • Welcome Wagon Club of Katy - please call Sharon at 281-3921658, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. • The green Trails Ladies Club - For more info., call Helen Connolly at 832-577-7177. • The Greater Katy Exchange Club - meets the first Wednesday of each month at 6:30 PM, at Vida Loca Mexican Bar and Grill, 21810 Kingsland Blvd Katy, Texas. $15, includes dinner and guest speaker. For info., www.KatyExchangeClub.com or call Newell Cheatheam at 281-3923034 or Kyle Simmons 281-497-7180 or www.KatyExchangeClub.com. RSVP is required. • The Katy Singles (over 35+) Meetup Group - a social club with free membership. Events are held in the Katy area. To learn more visit http:// singles.meetup.com/1676. • Texas Coastal Cattlewomen (TCCW) - meets on the third Wednesday of each month, at various locations throughout the Houston area. For more info., contact Sue Dinges at 281-238-8382 or cell 281-381-1987. • KATY ROCKS - Mix, mingle, socialize and network with singles ages 35+ Group has a variety of events each month. For more details, visit www. meetup.com/Katy-Rocks. • BP Partners - Local organization for the spouses and partners of BP employees. Monthly activities. For membership info., contact Phyllis Crouch at email@example.com or www.bppartnershouston.com. • KATY AREA RETIRED EDUCATORS - meets at 11:30 AM, on the 2nd Wednesday of each month, September through May, at the Merrell Center in Katy. For information contact Luanne Zacek at 281-391-8464 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family & Cosmetic Dentistry $100 OFF Regular Fee
Not to be combined with any other offer. Expires 1/31/13.
• Serving Katy Since 1976 • Offering Orthodontics & Invisalign Clear Braces • Cerec - Single Visit Crowns & Onlays • Cosmetic Crowns & Veneers • Offering a Relaxed Atmosphere with a Lake View • Open Late on Mondays • Financing Available • Under Armour Performance Mouthwear Authorized Supplier
24022 Cinco Village Center Dr. Suite 200, Katy, TX 77494
www.CincoRanchDentist.com (Next to Cinco Ranch Library)
• Commute Solutions - programs like STAR Vanpool, Flexible Work Schedules, transit information and NuRide visit www. commutesolutionshouston.org or call 832-681-2589.
Craft & Hobby Groups • Nottingham Country Garden Club of Katy - We welcome all people interested in gardening and the environment, from the West Houston and Katy area. You do not have to live in Nottingham Country to belong to our organization! For more information about the club, please call 281-578-1036 or 281-693-0016. • american sewing guild in katy - meets 3rd Wednesday of every month from 1 to 3 PM at Quilt & Sew, 829 Mason Rd., Katy. For more info., go to www.asghouston.org. • The Pride of Texas Decorative Artists - meets 2nd Thursday of the month at 6:30 PM. We meet at Bear Creek Community Center off Patterson Rd. in Bear Creek Park. For more info., call Gloria Ware 281-4920246. • WEST HOUSTON QUILT GUILD, 3rd Wednesdays, 7:00 PM Bear Creek Community Center, 3055 Bear Creek Dr. Houston, TX 77084, For more info., check our website at www.whqg.org. • KATY QUILTERS, Time and place will be scheduled in the Katy Area. Call the Katy Quilters, Shari Medford at 281-635-3000. • The Bluebonnet Stencilers of Texas - meets 1st Monday of the month from 6:30 - 9 PM at the Tracy Gee Community Center, 3599 Westcenter (One block east of Sam Houston Toll Road west). For more info. concerning meetings, call 281-370-2005. • KATY AREA KNITTING GUILD – Last Monday of the month, 6:30 PM, Spring Creek Barbeque on Westgreen & I-10. • The Houston Pond Society – Meets first Saturday of each month at a member’s home. For more info., please visit our website www. houstonpondsociety.org. • West Houston Chapter of the Romance Writers of America - meets 2nd Saturday of each month. Visit us on the Web at www.whrwa.com for more info. on upcoming events. For more info. Chuck or Carol 281-550-8679. • FAIRBEE SQUARE AND LINE DANCE CLUB - dances each Thursday night, 7:30 – 9:30 at Memorial Drive Lutheran Church, 12211 Memorial Drive @ Gessner. Info. may be obtained by calling Jerry & Nanette Tucker 281-498-3057 or email@example.com. • Prairie Promenaders Square Dance Club - meets first four Friday nights at Westland Baptist Church, 1407 W. Grand Pkwy S. Lessons are from 7-8 PM. The Club dance follows from 8-10 PM. For questions, call 281-647-0559 or 281-550-3701. • Houston Square & Round Dance Council, Inc. - For info., call 281-392-0713 or visit the Houston area square dance web site: www. squarethru.com.
Dr. Hamon & Dr. DeBuyl
• WESTSIDE OVER 50 CLUB - meets 1st Wednesday of each month at 6:30 PM for dinner and socializing. For reservations and info., please contact Kirk Hanson, 281-346-0459 or Betty Larsen at 281-392-3836. • The Katy 4-F Bass Club (Friends Fishing For Fun) - is a small, low cost fishing club, based in Katy, Texas. For information on our club such as joining, tournament results and area lakes we fish, visit www. katy4fbassclub.com. • The Texas Triumph Register (TTR) - an organization of Triumph owners and enthusiasts. For more info., contact Mike Hado at 281-807-4780, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.TexasTriumphRegister.org. • The Katy Bead Group - meets Wednesdays at 12:00 noon on the second floor of the Cinco Ranch Library, 2620 Commercial Center Boulevard, Katy, Texas 77494. For info, call Jean at 281-693-4398 or Carol 281-4926053 or email her at Fortijd@aol.com. • The Katy Pokemon TCG League - We meet on Tuesday evenings from 6:00-8:00 at DoubleDave’s Pizza at 1660 S. Mason Rd. Call Camille at 832-721-5481, email KatyPokemon@aol.com or check out www.Pokemontcg.com (look under Pokemon Organized Play) or www.PokemonBuzz.com for additional info. • Katy Woodworker’s Guild - meets the last Tuesday of each month at the Katy Junior High School from 7:00-9:00 PM. Questions: Call Terry at 281-717-4215. • The Houston Area Wood Carvers Club - meets on the third Saturday of each month from 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, at Bayland Community Center in Houston (6400 Bissonnet). For more info., call Preston and Carolyn Smith at 281-392-0713, email email@example.com or visit www.houstonareawoodcarvers.com. • The Katy Cruizers ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE Club - meets the first Monday of each month at the La Finca Mexican Restaurant on Westheimer Parkway (back room). Eat at 6 PM. Meeting from 7 PM until 8:30 PM. Questions: Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. • The KATY Area ARTISTS - Please contact the KAA Programs Officer at 281-352-8057 for more information on artist mentoring and monthly members’ meetings or visit www.katyareaartists.org. • Cinco Ranch Men’s Poker Group - Looking for new players. We play once per month Friday night from 7 PM to 11 PM, at host member’s homes in the Cinco Ranch area. If interested, call Jim at 832-715-8206 (cell) for further information.
into buying or selling a home...
Talk to someone who knows the waters! I get my clients
of the asking price... and in less days on the market!
Estate l a e R r u o Y ife! L r o f e c r u Reso
281-391-SOLD (7653) www.lizcarter.com Our Family Serving Your Family Since 1976
Classified Ads FOR SALE
GE front load washer and gas dryer. Excellent condition, 3 years old, $550 for the pair. Please call 281-216-2708. Rockets tickets, 2 seats, section102, row23, $90/pair, includes free Tundra parking, face value season ticket holder. Great seats. 713-851-5431 call/text.
Custom white, faux wood blinds for sale. 3 - 40Wx70L, 1 sink window 34Wx40L. $40 each or best offer. Call 281-463-1175. Marcy Home Gym complete with self spotting bench, curling bar, lat-pull pully system & over 200 lbs. of weights. Also a chest-explosion machine & accessories for the pully system. Excellent condition. $325 or $350 delivered assembled. 281-881-6405. Sofa good to very good condition, $250 OBO. email@example.com.
4-burner gas range, white, perfect condition, $175. 281-463-0413.
1998 BMW 750IL: Moonroof, V8, all possible options, 138K miles, unusually good condition, $4,200. 281-682-7868.
Winchester 1894 old saddle ring carbine 30-30, born 1920, has a western look, first 1150. firstname.lastname@example.org.
2002 Volvo S60 4-door sedan: black, moonroof, leather, all possible options, fantastic condition, $4,200. 281-682-7868.
Bassett Fremont brown, leather sofa. Beautiful, excellent condition! Paid well over $ 2,500, yours for only $800. 713-253-2104.
2004 Volvo S60 SUV: moonroof, leather, all possible options, fantastic condition, $6,200. 281-682-7868.
Ashley leather, double reclining loveseat, like new, $850 OBO; Yamaha portable grand keyboard w/bench seat & stand, barely used, $380 OBO; Dell v313 all-in-one wireless printer, $50; Lexmark 6150 all-in-one printer, $40; 7.5’ pre-lit Christmas tree, $25; Mission style computer desk w/hutch, $35; Ironman inversion table, brand new, $100 OBO. Call 281-861-8023 or email email@example.com.
Hooker super comp headers for ‘94 – ‘95 Camaro 350 LT-1, $400 OBO. Call 281-861-8023 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4 plots - Memorial Oaks Cemetery, 4 spaces together, valued at $32,400. All 4, $25,000 or 2 for $12,000; single, $6,500. Call 713-542-3685. Traditional chestnut dining room. Table extends to 96 in., 8 chairs and tabletop protector pads, china cabinet is 66 in. long, 4 yrs old. $2,100 cash. Thomas Kincaid “Sunrise” canvas #101, 20”x24,” burl framed 29”x33,” $375. 713-851-7374.
2009 Saturn Vue XE - 4 door, white, FWD, 2.4 Liter, 2 wheel drive, 45K miles, clean car fax. One owner, excellent condition, $14,950. Call 281-463-1175. 1985, 18 ½ foot Sea Ray. 165 Mercruiser, $3,000. Comes with accessories. 832-655-4746. 1998 Suzuki 1500 Intruder motorcycle, eggshell on white in color, black leather saddle bags, $3,000. 281-726-4305 Pat.
Wanted: Rolex watches for collector. 281-414-3597.
HELP WANTED - CARE
Caregiver(s). All shifts. Assist residents with their activities of daily living and personal care. Excellent communication, nurturing heart and interpersonal skills required. Resumes to email@example.com or 281-3953496, Ref: CGKMTLKP.
ELECTRICIAN 5 Year Warranty*
Live in caregiver for elderly, ambulatory female. Must be mature female, non-smoker with valid drivers license, transportation and good driving record. Duties include companionship, personal care, light cleaning and cooking. Must be able to live in Monday through Saturday. Please have references. 281-550-7577.
100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed!
Images Hair Studio is now accepting applications for a receptionist position. Looking for someone who is mature and professional. Customer service experience is a plus. 281-745-7801. Advertising company - looking for sales/home welcomers in 77494 or 77095. Work part time on your own schedule. Visit new homeowners in your area and go over a packet of information. Add businesses to the packet and earn unlimited $. Call 281-855-6589 for more information. Cornerstone Presbyterian Church is looking to add to their team of loving childcare providers. We have an immediate need on Sunday evenings with possible additional hours on Sunday and Wednesday mornings. If possible, proof of current CPR training should be submitted with resume; however, we can provide training and certification. Submit resumes to Carol Kutzer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 281-579-1080.
$30 Off Any Service Call! WIRED 713-467-1125 281-897-0001 P P P P P P
Not to be combined with any other discount or offer.
Sales persons wanted to sell Replacement Windows and Window coverings. Ownership opportunity available. Call Replacement Windows of Katy at 281392-5353. Enjoy Golf and the outdoors? Hole in One Challenge, a national par 3 company, is seeking sales representatives to promote a par 3 contest on local golf courses. A portion of all sales will help support programs offered to young people through The First Tee. Work a 5 hour shift - approximately 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM (weekends with occasional weekdays). $10 per hour plus commission after reaching minimum sales goal. Daily pay. Positions are available immediately. Must be able to pass drug test. Please contact Larry Wilkerson 281-758-4282. Visit www.holeinonechallenge.com. Manta Ray Enterprises, Inc. (MRE, Inc.) is always in search of highly motivated Real Estate Agents who’s core values that are aligned with that of the Broker’s. You are not expected to have the exact know-how when you start. But open minded and willing to learn from a TREC-MCE Instructor with over 28 years experience on leasing and working with property management with single family homes & condos. MRE, Inc. will guide you on the proper forms to use. Broker will provide a one-on-one support to any Real Estate Agent willing and wanting to learn more. MRE, Inc. will assist you to better serve your clients/customers/investors with sales, leases and property management. MRE, Inc. has been recognized and involved with Katy ISD, Community Education for more than 23 years at Taylor High School in Katy. MRE, Inc. offers incentive packages along with additional Real Estate knowledge. For more information and to get started on your new career today; please contact the Broker, “Tisha” Matticks, at mre@ mantarayenterprises.com. Now hiring security officers, part time/full time. No experience necessary. Retirees welcome. All shifts available. Accepting applications Monday Thursday, 8 AM - 11 AM. Located at 1035 Dairy Ashford, Suite 225, Houston, Texas 77079. Phone: 281-759-1010.
24/7 Service • Same Rates 7 Days a Week Family Owned & Operated Award Winner
Master #100394 • TECL #22809
Termite and Pest Control Exceptional Service • Timely response • And good people, too We have been keeping Katy Bug Free for the last 30 years! • Bees/Wasps • Ants • Roaches • Ticks • Rodents & Rodent Exclusions • Mosquito Systems • Free Termite Inspection • Real Estate Reports
Coupon valid for initial service only. Limit one per customer.
Martial Arts USA is hiring qualified Tae Kwon Do Black Belts with WTF certification, over 18 years of age, background checks and interviews will
Now Installing Solar Panels
Residential & Commercial
Katy area child care in need of part time and full time childcare providers. Contact Mrs. Dana, 281-394-5437.
Mount Flat Screens Generators Lighting Add Circuits Panel Replacement Cable/Phone
TPCL # 9394
20% Off up$100to
Termite Treatment Coupon valid for initial service only. Limit one per customer.
be conducted. Contact Master Shin or Master An at 281-463-9333 or email YoungAn@cyfairtkd.com. Location, 17121 West Rd. Suite 200 Houston TX 77095. Looking for a highly motivated and outgoing person to be the front desk for a new dental office in Katy area. Candidate should be knowledgeable about dental insurance and have great communication skills. It is a paperless office so computer skills is a must. Experience is necessary, minimum 2 years. Need to know how to schedule, run daily/monthly/yearly reports, submit insurance claims electronically and manually, work on accounts receivable, manage patient charts, discuss and present treatment plans, verify insurance, pretreatment estimates and so on, handle patient upsets, deal with software support, etc. Please forward resume to email@example.com. Discovery Schoolhouse now hiring teachers and support staff. Must have experience working in a licensed child care facility, be flexible and dependable and have a passion for early childhood education. Call 281-4019828 or send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Now Hiring! Do you love children? Small private preschool is now accepting applications. Must be dependable and energetic. Will train. Must have copy of High School Diploma or GED and copy of Social Security Card. Apply in person to 16618 Clay Road, Suite 400. 281-656-2273. The Pediatric Dentist of Katy is looking for a highly motivated Registered Dental Assistant. Our Pediatric Dental practice is located at 24022 Cinco Village Center Blvd., Suite 210 in Katy. Our office hours are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8 AM to 5 PM, with lunch from 12-1 PM. On Fridays we are open from 7:30 AM to 3 PM. Please bring by your resume in person. Housekeepers needed. Great hours for mom’s with school age children. 281-861-0394.
Position available for an experienced hair stylist with a great attitude and good clientele. Benefits available. Call Images Hair Studio at 281-256-2286. Dental Assistant needed, at least 2 years of experience, must be state licensed. 281-550-0900. Residential Electrician(s): Journeyman or helper/apprentice. Have experience, references & contact info. ready, beginners last employment info. Send resume to email@example.com.
Timeshare: rent a lovely condo for a full week in Hawaii. Sleeps 4, fully stocked kitchen. What else needs to be said... It’s Hawaii! $795. For information contact Cheryl at 281-855-7427. Las Vegas Timeshare - On the Strip near the airport, sleeps 4, full kitchen, dining & living; jacuzzi in room, 2 TV’s/2 Phones, 2 pools outside building, fitness room, washer/dryer/safe in room, 4 days $355 - 7 days $500. No added fees. Cheryl 281-543-2409. Vacation home for rent: Hill country vacation home, Cedar Creek Cabin, new 2/2 with loft, fully furnished, huge front porch, satellite TV, beautiful views, abundant wildlife, Frio River at Concan near Garner State Park, sleeps 8. Call 866-7CON-CAN or go to www.frioman.com for more information.
Due to the amount of space involved and the response of those wishing to publish a Novena to St. Jude, a Novena to St. Jude will be published along with a list of initials of those wishing to publish one. We are sorry, but we cannot make exceptions. $5 Charge for each Novena per area. Please specify which area you would your Novena to appear in. - Krenek Printing.
NOVENA TO ST. JUDE
May the Sacred Heart of Jesus be adored, glorified, loved and preserved throughout the world, now and forever. Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on us. St. Jude, worker of miracles, pray for us. St. Jude helper of the hopeless, pray for us. Say Novena 9 times a day for 9 days. It has never been known to fail. Publication must be promised. Thank you St. Jude – CSG
INTERIOR & EXTERIOR 30+ Years Experience/Family Owned
Hot Apple Cider
• Carpentry • Sheetrock - Texture • Pressure Washing • Siding - HardiPlank® • Refinish - Staining • References • Insured & Bonded
INGREDIENTS: 6 cups apple cider 1/4 cup real maple syrup 2 cinnamon sticks 6 whole cloves 6 whole allspice berries 1 orange peel, cut into strips 1 lemon peel, cut into strips
e y r w
Hate eating veggies? Acts like a salad; Tastes like dessert.
DIRECTIONS: Pour the apple cider and maple syrup into a large stainless steel saucepan.
ly • Lose Weight $4 a day ! • Reduce Cravings • Increase energy & stamina • Promotes healthy digestion & regularity • Lower cholesterol
Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries, orange peel and lemon peel in the center of a washed square of cheesecloth; fold up the sides of the cheesecloth to enclose the bundle, then tie it up with a length of kitchen string. Drop the spice bundle into the cider mixture. Place the saucepan over moderate heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cider is very hot but not boiling. Remove the cider from the heat. Discard the spice bundle. Ladle the cider into big cups or mugs, adding a fresh cinnamon stick to each serving if desired.
www.myshakeology.com/LauraGreen Call 713-443-9319 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: allrecipes.com, Submitted by: Stella
How to Contact Krenek Printing DEADLINE (for all ads and news in the Katy area): The 25th of the second month preceding publication date.
Free to non-profit organizations.
Get the word out! Visit the web site to post your ad.
mail, fax or email: CLASSIFIED@KRENEKPRINTING.COM Get prices online or call us 8:30a - 5p.
ADS@KRENEKPRINTING.COM (281) 463-8649 fax (281) 463-2425
Affordable advertising across Katy & Hwy 6. 7102 Glen Chase Ct. Houston, TX 77095
Your Local Maid Service for 20 Years • SAME DAY • SAME CREW • AFFORDABLE • BONDED • INSURED • REFERENCES • SUPPLIES FURNISHED $
Sunday Monday Tuesday
New Years Day January 17th
Ben Franklin’s Birthday
Thursday Friday Saturday
9 10 11 12
Inauguration Day January 21st
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Tammy Smith, Owner-Operated
National Thank You Month National Eye Care Month National Volunteer Blood Donor Month National Book Month
New customer only on regular schedule. Not valid with any other offer. Not valid for one time or empty cleans.
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
In an Emergency, don’t hit the panic button...
SPHIER Emergency Room Advantages: • Treatment for both children and adults with minor and major injuries and illnesses • Pediatric Treatment Rooms • On-site Laboratory, Ultrasound, CT and X-Ray • Patients requiring in-patient hospital services will be expedited to the hospital of their choice
SPHIER Emergency Room has been proudly serving the Katy area for over two years. We’ve designed emergency rooms with our patients in mind — to create a whole new SPHIER of Emergency Care. 832.321.1000 | www.SPHIER.com
Stop by and Register to Win 4 Front Row Rocket’s Tickets + Parking for the Game on 02/08/2013, a $1000 VALUE! On 02/4/13, the winner will be announced on our Facebook page.
1560 S. Mason Road, Suite E Katy, Texas 77450
24 HOUR FITNESS
Come to us!
HIGHLAND KNOLLS DR
© 2012 SPHIER Emergency Room. All rights reserved.
Published by: Krenek Printing 7102 Glen Chase Ct • Houston, TX 77095 • 281-463-8649 email: email@example.com for articles • firstname.lastname@example.org for business ads • classiﬁed@krenekprinting.com for classiﬁed ads Firethorne January 2013