The Rotunda, University of Virginia Charlottesville, Virginia Designed by Thomas Jefferson in the early 1800’s, the UVA Rotunda is arguably the most recognizable feature of any college campus. From the original construction in 1823-1828 through the erection of the annex in 1854, the great fire of 1895, and two subsequent restoration campaigns, the structure has remained both the architectural and academic focus of the University. The first of four phases of this significant renovation consisted primarily of façade restoration. Phase II involved complete exterior repairs including structural repairs, roof replacement, replacement & repair of columns, and masonry work. On the interior, systems for an elevator replacement and relocation of the machine room were required. Phase III incorporated interior system improvements: complete replacement of the mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, and fire alarm systems, as well as the enhancement of the building’s data system. Phase IV was largely related to landscaping and additional interior alterations. The historic renovation project is both SHPO & 36 CFR 67 compliant. To learn more about this and other engineering projects, please visit www.kohlerronan.com.
Architect: John G. Waite Associates, Architects Photography: © Anna Wesolowska/www.photographerhedman.com
171 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016 P (212) 695-2422 F (212) 695-2423
93 Lake Avenue, Danbury, CT 06810 P (203) 778-1017 F (203) 778-1018