BONNARD MUSEUM Architect: Frédéric Ferrero & Sylvie Rossi Location: Le Cannet Completion Date: 2011 Photographer: Claire Palué
The Villa Saint-Vianney is a fine example of Belle Époque architecture. It was built in 1908 as a private residence, became a guest house and then a hotel until 1990. After being saved from demolition by the state heritage department, it was bought by the town of Le Cannet in 1998 in order to turn it into a museum. From the beginning, the focus was on preserving the spirit of the place. The project forms part of a larger development
of the old town centre of Le Cannet, and is linked to Bonnard’s former home, the Villa Le Bosquet, by a walk in the steps of the painter. The renovation of the Villa SaintVianney develops almost 890m2 of useable space, including 495m 2 in the existing building. An extension has been built on the sloping ground in front of the villa, containing the reception area, shop, educational room and a large terrace. The façade opens onto the Boulevard Sadi Carnot and marks the entrance to the museum.
A glass column containing a staircase and a lift, connecting to the existing building via a footbridge, takes visitors to the exhibition floors while offering a view over the landscape. The internal structure of the Villa Saint-Vianney has been entirely altered. Air conditioned throughout, the museum unfolds over five floors including three floors of exhibitions, a projection room and a terrace overlooking the garden.
2 French Museum Architecture 96