Page 78

ARCHITECTURE

Real Estate

R _ E

Notable historic buildings include, from left, the Spanish mission-style, former federal building on Second Avenue; the Queen Anne-style Tanner House with its distinctive turret at Fourth and Poplar; and the original Sandpoint High School at Pine and Euclid. Photos by sandy CoMPton and Courtesy of bonner County historiCaL soCiety MuseuM

iron false balconies on the second floor facade, terra cotta tile and stucco finish are characteristic of the Spanish mission style popular in the 1920s. Miller continued the style inside, and local papers were rich with praise when the building opened on First Avenue in November 1927. The Pend Oreille Review wrote of the theater room, “To even the most expert connoisseurs of art, there is a beauty that seemed too hard to express in words.” The Panida, a great example of its original self, was cutting edge in 1927, the first building in Sandpoint of reinforced concrete. Another mission-style building was built at 419 N. Second Ave., in the same year to house federal offices and the post office. Without a neon marquee, it provides a better example of the style. Sandpoint architect Bill Klein declares this building both his favorite and the most unusual built in the city before 1940. The façade, largely unchanged, features terra cotta decorations, a tile roof and a tower at each end. High, arched windows and entries face a buildinglength porch below a large balcony. The building still sports the only gargoyles in town, as well as architecturally famous acanthus leaves, brought forward from the Corinthian Order of Greek architecture. The acanthus, a flower representing long life, has been used as a building decoration for 25 centuries. Also finished in the 1920s was the building that has become the Sandpoint Business and Events Center. Occupied 78

SANDPOINT MAGAZINE

as Sandpoint High School in 1923 (the cornerstone says “1922”) the building in the 100 block of South Euclid endured life as a school for nearly 70 years. After sitting empty for more than a decade, its slow, spectacular rebirth was begun by Brad and Lynda Scott, and is now nearly complete, coming full circle as North Idaho College’s Sandpoint Center (see story, page 31). The building was designed by Waterhouse and Price of Spokane with three floors, the first of which was sunken and made up mostly of a twostory gymnasium and attending locker rooms. A banked running track hung on the second floor of the gym. Above the gym is a 400-seat auditorium with a beautifully arched ceiling and faux pillars decorated with classic Greek designs. The designers used terra cotta on the exterior to delineate the floors and to decorate the arched entryways and the entablature. Thanks to the Scotts, much of the building still looks as it did in 1923. The last examples of non-ModernAmerican-with-classic-tradition buildings are First Presbyterian Church at Fourth and Alder and the railroad depot just across the bypass from the east end of Cedar Street Bridge, itself a newer architectural feat. Neither the depot nor the church was designed by local architects but by those laboring for Northern Pacific Railway and the national church, respectively. The church design, in fact, is one of several “standard” designs of the era provided for free to congregations ready to build. WINTER 2013

The Gothic-style depot – the only one of its kind in Idaho – was finished in 1916. Built of brick and stone, its style shows in pointed, arched windows and a guard-tower-like entablature below steep gables with round stone finials, the finishing object on the roof peak or gable end. The church sanctuary is also Gothic in style. Though it has been added onto by succeeding generations, the east end of the building reflects the original design, particularly the arched and pointed windows fronting on Fourth and Alder, the east gable and the retired bell tower at the northeast corner. The sanctuary is also a fine example of timber

The Gothic-style railroad depot was designed by the Northern Pacific Railway and built in 1916. Efforts are under way to restore the building (www.sandpointtrainstation.com). bonner County historiCaL soCiety MuseuM CoLLeCtion

frame construction. Architecture has so many elements, it is often hard to make a declarative statement about a building’s style. The turreted, Victorian-age house at Fourth and Poplar has undergone a remarkable

Sandpoint Magazine Winter 2013  

Arts, entertainment, lifestyle and recreation for residents and visitors of Sandpoint, Idaho. Featuring the cover story on boundless backcou...

Sandpoint Magazine Winter 2013  

Arts, entertainment, lifestyle and recreation for residents and visitors of Sandpoint, Idaho. Featuring the cover story on boundless backcou...