Test your knowledge of our beloved Commonwealth. To find out how you fared, see the bottom of Vested Interest or take the Kwiz online at kentuckymonthly.com.
5. Where were classes offered in the early days of what eventually would become the University of Kentucky?
1. Dating back to 1926, the original Hot Brown was created at Louisville’s Brown Hotel by whom?
6. Bicycle, Aviator and Bee playing cards are produced in which northern Kentucky city?
A. Karl Schmidt
B. Fred K. Schmidt
C. Wolfgang M. Schmidt
2. Cassius Marcellus Clay Sr., the father of Muhammad Ali, was described as “the fanciest dancer in Louisville,” but he made his living doing what? A. Boxing B. Preaching C. Painting
A. The Red Mile B. Ashland: The Henry Clay Estate C. Lexington Public Library
7. Camping World, with 120 locations nationwide, began as a single, much smaller store serving which Kentucky campground? A. Mammoth Cave B. Beech Bend Park C. Daniel Boone Land
3. Abraham Lincoln’s parents, Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks, were married June 12, 1806, in which county named for a president?
8. Billy Joe “Cornbread Red” Burge, born in Paducah in 1931, was known as “one of the most talented and entertaining characters in the history” of which sport?
A. Jefferson County
A. Professional bowling
B. Washington County
B. Professional wresting
C. Jackson County
C. Professional pool
4. John LaRue, an early Hodgenville pioneer, was born in 1746 in Virginia. He is one of the few people who can claim what?
9. Grandpa Jones, a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame and a charter member of Hee-Haw, was born in Niagara, which is in the southern part of which western Kentucky county?
A. To have survived multiple attacks by Native Americans B. To have traveled around the world in a hot-air balloon
C. To have lived and died in the county named in his honor
10. Theodore Roosevelt Augustus Major Poston, whose family founded the Hopkinsville Contender, was the first African American nominated for which noted journalism award? A. The Nobel Prize B. The Al Smith Award C. The Pulitzer Prize
Camping World superstore in Bowling Green 2
K E N T U C K Y M O N T H LY • F E B R U A R Y 2 0 1 8
Celebrating the best of our Commonwealth © 2018, Vested Interest Publications Volume Twenty One, Issue 1, February 2018 STEPHEN M. VEST, Publisher & Editor-in-Chief
Editorial PATRICIA RANFT, Associate Editor DEBORAH KOHL KREMER, Assistant Editor MADELYNN COLDIRON and TED SLOAN, Contributing Editors JESSICA PATTON, Art Director CAIT A. SMITH, Editorial Intern Senior Kentributors JACKIE HOLLENKAMP BENTLEY, ANNETTE CABLE, BILL ELLIS, STEVE FLAIRTY, GARY GARTH, CYNTHIA GRISOLIA, RACHAEL GUADAGNI, JESSE HENDRIX-INMAN, KRISTY ROBINSON HORINE, ABBY LAUB, LINDSEY McCLAVE, WALT REICHERT, GARY P. WEST
Business and Circulation BARBARA KAY VEST, Business Manager JOCELYN ROPER, Circulation Specialist
Advertising JULIE MOORE, Senior Account Executive MISTEE BROWNING, Account Manager For advertising information, call (888) 329-0053 or (502) 227-0053 KENTUCKY MONTHLY (ISSN 1542-0507) is published 10 times per year (monthly with combined December/ January and June/July issues) for $20 per year by Vested Interest Publications, Inc., 100 Consumer Lane, Frankfort, KY 40601. Periodicals Postage Paid at Frankfort, KY and at additional mailing offices. POSTMASTER: Send address changes to KENTUCKY MONTHLY, P.O. Box 559, Frankfort, KY 40602-0559. Vested Interest Publications: Stephen M. Vest, president; Patricia Ranft, vice president; Barbara Kay Vest, secretary/treasurer. Board of directors: James W. Adams Jr., Dr. Gene Burch, Kim Butterweck, Gregory N. Carnes, Barbara and Pete Chiericozzi, Kellee Dicks, Maj. Jack E. Dixon, Bruce and Peggy Dungan, Mary and Michael Embry, Wayne Gaunce, Frank Martin, Lori Hahn, Thomas L. Hall, Judy M. Harris, Greg and Carrie Hawkins, Jan and John Higginbotham, Dr. A. Bennett Jenson, Walter B. Norris, Kasia Pater, Dr. Mary Jo Ratliff, Barry A. Royalty, Randy and Rebecca Sandell, Kelli Schreiber, Christopher E. and Marie Shake, Kendall Carr Shelton, Ted M. Sloan and Marjorie D. Vest. Kentucky Monthly invites queries but accepts no responsibility for unsolicited material; submissions will not be returned. Kentucky Monthly is printed and distributed by Publishers Press, Shepherdsville, Ky.
www.kentuckymonthly.com (888) 329-0053 P.O. Box 559 100 Consumer Lane Frankfort, KY 40601
Kentucky Monthly magazine February 2018