Week 6 Studio Journal This week's stuff is separated into two parts, going to workshop and making the specific model of case study building. The aim of going to the workshop was to do the constructing work right by ourselves, to actually practice the skill. Our group was assigned two plywood and two battens trying to bear the tension as much as we could at the centre of the structure.
The tools provided include nails, spikes, a saw, a particular ruler and drills. We were told that cutting the battens must be on the board, or the table would be ruined.
Our group decided to cut the battens to 1100mm, using the cut pieces to be on the top of the structure, only to make it more stable.
And we used drills to fix it.
Then our work was put to a test machine to examine its tension.
It turned out that the largest tension force our structure could bear was 360kg, then it collapsed from underneath. After consideration, I myself assumed that the reason was because we cut the battens into small pieces then we nailed them at the middle of the structure, and when forces were brought, the underneath part beared most of the force.
One of the weaknesses of our structure was that we put the plywood at the top of the structure. The plywood is thinner and thus weaker than the battens, so it weakened the stiffness of the whole structure.
Another important part of this week's stuff is that we made the scale-based model of our case study building. Glue, scissor, rubber, double/single sided adhesive tape and 2.5mm balsa wood were applied.
First we went to the case study building and checked it carefully because the part at the back cannot be seen clearly via the drawings.
Based on the scale of 1:50, we copied the structure on the case study building drawings and cut out our first piece of model.
Most parts of the buildings were simple, except for the part at the back. It turns out to be a ladder so we cut off the different pieces and glued them together. Based on our exploration, the part at the back of the building is actually lower than the upper part, as shown in the picture.
Also, there are I-beams in the building, so we built the I-beam models as well.
Week 6 studio journal Constructing Environments University of Melbourne