BRIDGEND’S HERITAGE NEWS
Saturday 1st - Sunday 30th September, 2012
Wales' most iconic buildings and unusual sites will welcome thousands of visitors as part of the annual Open Doors programme, which sees hundreds of attractions, events and activities open to visitors free of charge throughout the month of September. Organised by the Civic Trust for Wales and supported by Cadw, the Welsh Government's historic environment service, Open Doors offers both local people and visitors the chance to explore new aspects of Wales's culture and history. Events start on the 1st September and include: 1st September
Porthcawl Museum Society Opening time 10am – 4pm Walks 10.30am and 2.30pm email@example.com Porthcawl Museum will be open to the public free admission for the day. Guided town walks are organised during the day.
Tondu ironworks Tours and events Open from 9am – 5pm. Groundwork Trust 01656 727800 firstname.lastname@example.org Parc Tondu is the most complete Victorian Ironworks in Britain and is currently the home of Groundwork Bridgend& Neath Port Talbot. The Ironworks which is thought to have been founded in 1838 has gone through a number of changes over the years thanks to its multiple owners including Sir Robert Price, John Brogden and Colonel North. The site has a number of structures that date from the Industrial Revolution including the remains of the beehive coke ovens, charging area and the engine house.
Richard Price Walk, Llangeinor 1st walk 10am / 2nd walk 2pm The Richard Price Society 01656 870359 Jarvismob@tiscali.co.uk A short Circular walk. Pausing to relate anecdotes and information about the life of Dr Richard Price who was Born at Tynton. He became involved in a remarkable number of disciplines, mathematics, theology, and more importantly the independence of nations. The walk will start from the car park of the Richard price centre and proceed onto Llangeinor Square and onto Tynton farmhouse.
Re-enactment soldiers and individuals with a wealth of knowledge will be at the site on the open days and there will also be talks on the ecology of the site. No parking, nor facilities on site. Book soon for internal visits which are limited in number, and by appointment only.
8th and 9th September
Hut 9 – Former Prisoner of War Camp, Island Farm and Launch of Hut 9 Iphone App, 10- 4pm BCBC 01685 643175 email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org This will be the first opportunity from many years that small groups will be able to access inside part of Hut 9 which is a Grade II Listed Building. You will also have an opportunity to download an I Phone App which uses the latest digital technology and augmented reality to tell the story of Hut 9 and bring to life Bridgend’s own ‘Great Escape’.
The event will open the site to the general public and local schools, they will have the opportunity to take a tour of the site and see what remains of the local industrial heritage. On site there will be a selection of activity stations that tie in with the Victorian period; these will involve craft making, environmental activities and fun science. The activities will be coordinated by the Youthworks, Positive Energy and Environmental team which are all part of Groundwork Bridgend & Neath Port Talbot.
opendoors BRIDGEND’S HERITAGE NEWS
Local experts will also be on hand to identify and interpret people’s photographs of Maesteg and the Llynfi Valley.
Tondu Methodist Church 01656 662671 email@example.com Tondu Methodist Church was built in 1868, with most of the costs being met by the Brogden family, who at the time were the ironmasters in Tondu. In 1872 the Brodgens installed a fine stained glass window in the church and also provided a pipe organ, which is still in original working condition and is listed on the National Pipe Organ Register. A major programme of redevelopment is planned for the church building during the next year. Substantial funding has been awarded by the Welsh Government and the outcome of an application to the Heritage Lottery Fund is awaited. If the funding is raised then the new ‘Wesley Centre’ would offer excellent community activities and provide a focus for reclaiming Tondu’s industrial and cultural heritage through activities, exhibitions etc. There will be an opportunity to visit the church and to hear more about the ambitious plans to extend the accommodation in the building while conserving the fine architectural features. On this weekend the church will look its best, decorated with flowers, fruit and vegetables for the traditional Harvest Festival. There will be refreshments available and a chance to hear some organ and choir music.
Maesteg Library Photographic event 10am – 3pm Richard Bellinger, Bridgend Libraries 01656 754859 or 754835 firstname.lastname@example.org Y Llynfi Library is located in Maesteg Sports Centre. The building was originally built as an engine house servicing the blast furnaces of the Llynfi Ironworks and was later used as a corn store for the pit ponies of the North Navigation Company. We are encouraging members of the public to bring in their historic photographs of the area where they will be scanned for addition to the library’s database of digitised images, available via the internet.
Garw Calon Lan Walk 1st walk 10am / 2nd walk 2pm Garw Valley Historical Society 01656 870359 Jarvismob@tiscali.co.uk A walk in the footsteps of poet Daniel James, author of Calon Lân, who lived and worked in the village of Blaengarw in the 1880’s. The walk will take in the places in which he worked, worshipped, and played. You will be accompanied by a local heritage guide who will also give a detailed anecdotal history of the man using photographs of the village as it was in his day. Walkers will meet at the Blaengarw visitor centre, Parc Calon Lân, Blaengarw.
Bridgend Public Library, Wyndham Street – Bridgend Civic Trust’. email@example.com The Bridgend Civic Trust will be based inside and outside of Bridgend library with exhibitions and other material on the library. Around Wyndham Street guided town walks will run at 10.30am and at 2.30pm.
Sculpture unveiling, Cheapside, Bridgend Artist in Residence Elbow Room / BCBC 02921 158214 firstname.lastname@example.org The event will take place outdoors at Cheapside, Bridgend. Bridgend County Borough Council are currently re-developing the town centre, and Cheapside is one area that is being upgraded. As part of this the sculptor David Annand has been commissioned to produce two pieces of public art. David has worked with local school children and poet Rhian Edwards to come up with the sculptural designs, which will be installed in September 2012. A public unveiling event of the sculptures as part of the Open Doors programme, to take place on Friday 28th September 2012 at 11am. The event will aim to give the public an insight into the artistic process, the way in which artists and creatives respond to ‘site’ and the development of their built environment. David will give a short talk about his work, Rhian Edwards and pupils from Brynteg Comprehensive School will recite poetry, following which there will be opportunity for informal discussion and celebration.
Bethania Chapel, Maesteg 10am - 4pm Welsh Religious Buildings Trust 07528 491819 Christine.email@example.com An opportunity to view Bethania; originally built in 1832 by builder Mr Hurley of Maesteg. Rebuilt in 1840-1 and enlarged in 1859 and rebuilt again in 1898. In 1908 a new chapel was built on the same site to the designs of eminent architect Sir William Beddoe Rees who chose a Classical style, influenced by French Beaux Arts. The main chapel building, with a magnificent front façade and galleried interior providing seating for 1001, bears the architectural stamp of a major chapel architect. At the immediate rear of the chapel is a two storey range of rooms which provided ancillary accommodation for worship and for the chapel’s Sunday school. To one side is the large vestry with a proscenium arch and stage. The Sunday school housed a Welsh medium school for 4 to 11 year olds opened in 1948, only the third to be established anywhere in Wales. Members of the Llynfi Valley Historical Society will be on hand to provide information and guidance.Cantorion Coety will provide a set of Welsh choral music between 3pm-4pm.
29th & 30th September
St Johns Hospice, Newcastle Hill, Bridgend Friends of St Johns Hospice 01656 648783 / 07875 218 773 firstname.lastname@example.org St John’s House is thought to be the oldest inhabitable building in Bridgend dating from the late 14th or early 15th Century. St John’s House Trust are a newly formed Registered Charity which aims to purchase and restore the property for Community use. More information and pictures can be found on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/St-Johns House/228027567250027
Historic Pubs of Bridgend Town Bridgend Historical Society 01656 658933 Vervilfarm@aol.com A walking tour of the public houses past and present in the town centre with a brief stop at each one! Meet at the Angel, Park Street at 11am.
Published on Sep 12, 2012