Ways to learn, grow and serve at Brentwood United Methodist Church
Sunday Morning Opportunities
Nursery Available at all worship services for infants thru 3 year olds 8:30am Traditional/blended worship in the Sanctuary with Youth Choirs Godly Play for older 3â€™s (by 8/15/13) through Pre-kindergarten (Children start off in worship and then are brought to the Godly Play room when designated in the bulletin) 9:45am
Sunday school (all ages) Contemporary Worship in the Sanctuary with a worship band Godly Play (preschool) Traditional Worship in the Sanctuary with Adult Chancel Choir Godly Play (preschool) Sunday school (4 years - 6th grade) Small Groups (adults)
Children’s Ministry (Infants – 6th Grade) www.bumc.net/children Contacts: Rosa Moore, email@example.com, 324-7241 Choirs: Julie Morgan, firstname.lastname@example.org, 324-8216
• Are you new to BUMC? Visitors can check in at the Children’s Welcome Desk located in the Chapel Narthex (“C” building, main level) to be directed to an appropriate classroom.
• Sunday Morning Opportunities (see front cover) • HWY 56 Opportunities (5th & 6th Grades)
Mileage.......................... Sundays, 5:00 – 6:00 pm .................... Gym (begins 8/25) Extra Mile...................... Wednesdays, 6:15 – 7:30 pm .............. Room 305 (begins 9/11) Created By God............. October 24-26 (Additional class in the Spring) Confirmation................. Begins in January 2014 (6th Grade)
• Children’s Music Wednesday Nights (begins September 11): Angel Choir................... Age 4 (by 8/15/13) thru Pre-K............... 6:15 – 7:00 pm Agape Choir .................. Kindergarten and 1st grade..................... 6:15 – 7:00 pm Asbury Choir ................ 2nd, 3rd and 4th Grades............................ 6:15 – 7:30 pm Rhythm & Bells............. 2nd, 3rd and 4th Grades............................ 5:00 – 6:00 pm Sunday Nights (begins August 25): Alleluia Choir ............... 5th & 6th ................................................ 6:00 – 7:00 pm
Student Ministry (7th -12th Grade) www.bumcsm.net Contacts: Rosanne Schenck, email@example.com Choirs: Julie Morgan, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Sunday Morning 9:45 am Opportunities 7th & 8th Sunday School - large group teaching and small group discussions – Jr. High Room 9th Sunday School - large group teaching and small group discussions – Tabernacle 10th -12th Sunday School - topical based discussion group – Room A191 10th -12th Church Now: help in Pre-School, Elementary, or Highway 56 Sunday School; 11th -12th Church Now: help in Middle School Sunday School
• Sunday Nights
We have a large ministry, and a great way to get connected to new people and grow in your faith is to come on Sunday nights for Youth Choir rehearsals, Worship & Teaching, and Small Groups! Each small group is comprised of 8-10 students with two caring and trained adult leaders (registration available online at www.bumc.net/register). It all kicks off on Sunday, August 25! 4:00 pm ...........7th- 12th Handbells 7th - 9th Grades. 10th - 12th Grades 5:00 pm............Snack Supper 5:00 pm........ Sonshine Choir 5:20 pm............Worship & Small Groups 6:10 pm ....... Snack Super 6:45 pm............ Jubilation Choir 6:30 pm........ Worship & Small Groups
• Wednesday Nights
Looking for a smaller community that wants to dive into the Bible? Join us for Middle School, High School Guys, and High School Girls Bible Studies on Wednesday nights starting September 11, 7-8 pm. No registration required.
Evangelism and Hospitality Contact Rev. Dr. Jeffrey Wilson email@example.com 324-8208
• Starting Point
If you’re interested in learning how to become more active in the congregational life of Brentwood United Methodist Church, then we encourage you to register for this six-week course which covers everything from beliefs to vision to membership. Our next session begins September 8 at 6pm. Register at bumc.net/startingpoint or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Childcare is available with registration.
• Annual Church-Wide Picnic
Sunday August 18, 4:30–7:00 pm, Front Lawn Music! Inflatables! BBQ from Stroud’s! Just bring your lawn chairs or a blanket and enjoy. The BBQ and sides will be provided so you don’t need to do a thing except bring a friend. Dr. Davis Chappell will deliver a brief vesper service at 6:30 with music from Christen Cole.
• E & H Volunteers
Our volunteers work behind the scenes entering attendance, replenishing pew materials, filing paperwork – taking care of all of our ministry’s unseen, but invaluable detail work. If this is your kind of volunteer job, contact email@example.com for more information.
Adult Discipleship www.bumc.net/adultclasses Contact: Judith Bone, Director of Adult Discipleship, 324-7258, firstname.lastname@example.org Eric Burton-Krieger, Pastor of Group Life for Adults, 324-8207, email@example.com
• Adult Sunday Morning Classes 9:45 and 11:00am
Our Sunday Morning Classes are on-going and meet during both our 9:45 and 11:00 am services. For class listings and descriptions stop by the Guest Services desk or visit bumc.net/SundayMorningClasses.
• Adult Small Groups bumc.net/SmallGroups
Groups meet on Sundays at 11 am and 5:15 pm, Wednesday evenings, and at other times throughout the week. They are smaller communities for spiritual growth, accountability and service. To learn more contact Rev. Eric Burton-Krieger at 324-8207 or firstname.lastname@example.org or attend our small group sign-up on August 18 at 11 am in the Singles Space.
• Bible Studies • Pastor’s Bible Study Wednesdays, 6:30 - 7:30 pm Luke - A Gospel for Everyone (no registration needed). Begins September 11. This 6-week study on Wednesday evening will expand on the fall sermon series. Led by Dr. Davis Chappell Paul’s Letters (Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians) Begins October 23; Led by Dr. Jeff Wilson
• Disciple Bible Study bumc.net/BibleStudies – registration required
Contact Wini Grizzle at email@example.com, 377-6868 or Judith Bone at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Disciple Bible Study is a program of intensive, disciplined Bible study [30-45 min. each day] that meets for 2 hours over 32-34 weeks. Disciple I is the prerequisite for all other Disciple Bible Studies. Disciple I: covers the entire Biblical story, from Genesis to Revelation. Wednesdays, begins September 11; 9:30- noon; [childcare with registration]; Wednesdays, begins September 11; 6:30-8:30 am; led by Linda Schneider [childcare with registration] Disciple II: Into the Word Into the World Tuesdays, begins September 10; 6:30-8:30 pm led by Dr. Mark Houston/Jerry and Tanya Barlar [no childcare]; Wednesdays, begins September 11; 9:30 am-12:00 pm led by Laura Hickman [childcare with registration] Disciple III: Remember Who You Are; Wednesdays, begins September 11; 6:30-8:30 pm led by Bim Tudor Jesus in the Gospels is a comparative study of all for gospel narratives. Sundays, begins September 8; 5:30-7:30 pm led by Jim Costner [childcare with registration]
• Other Adult Studies bumc.net/AdultClasses
Registration is important for all of the following studies at bumc.net/register .
MOM’s in Prayer Am: “Parenting with Love and Logic” Women with young children (pre-school & elementary age). Wednesdays, begins September 11; 9:45 am-11:30 pm; Contact Beth Paul at email@example.com
MOM’s in Prayer Pm: Study to be announced. Women with young children (pre-school & elementary age).
Wednesdays, begins September 11; 6:00-7:30 pm; Contact Julie Hunsinger at firstname.lastname@example.org or Emily Wackerlin at email@example.com
Tuesday Morning Ladies Study Group: Prayer: Finding the Heart’s True Home by Richard Foster Tuesdays, begins September 17; 9:30-11:00 am; Led by Judith Bone
The Patriarchs: Encountering the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob [a Beth Moore Study] Wednesdays, begins September 4; 9:30-11:00 am; Room A291; Led by Lou Anne Jacobs
Single Adults www.bumc.net/singles Shebbie Shields, Director; 324-7240, firstname.lastname@example.org; Alex Saber, Administrative Assistant; 324-7256, email@example.com You can register and pay for any of our events online at www.bumc.net/register.
• Yoga Tuesdays at 6:00 pm in the Singles Space. Suggested donation of $5 to benefit Fisher House. • Transparenting Saturday, November 16, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. This class is offered once per quarter and satisfies the court ordered class requirement. $25
• Divorce Recovery Wednesdays, September 4 – October 9, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm. This course will offer support and
encouragement for adjusting to change and life after divorce. $30
• Boundaries Wednesdays, September 4 – October 30, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm. How do I get myself and others to recognize and respect set boundaries? $21
• Bridge Class for Beginners Join us and have a great time learning a great game! • Salsa Dance Class Second and Fourth Friday of each month, 7– 8 pm. No experience required! $6 at the door • Thanksgiving Potluck Dinner Friday, November 22, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. Refer to www.bumc.net/SocialEvents for instructions on what food item to bring. $3 at the door.
• Christmas Dinner Dance December 7, 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm. Semi-formal attire. $25 per ticket. • Singles Volunteer Hands On Nashville (9/21), The Buddy Walk (10/19), and Operation Christmas Child (Nov.)
Missions and Outreach Contact Mike Dennison, firstname.lastname@example.org, 324-7222
• 61st Ave. UMC After-school Mentors for K-5th Graders
Tutoring is held Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 4:00 - 5:30 pm. Contact Nita Haywood at email@example.com.
• Harvest Hands www.harvesthandscdc.com
Volunteers needed for our programs for K-4th Grades and 5th-12th Grades : Once a week commitment, 3:45-6:00 pm. Contact Abby at firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-499-4963 to volunteer.
• Connect with a Child in South Africa
Sponsor a child at Thembelihle School, our partner school in Howick, South Africa.
• KidSale Fall 2013 September 17-21
A consignment sale of quality children’s clothing, toys and equipment, benefiting outreach missions of BUMC. For more information on volunteering email email@example.com.
• Room in the Inn
November through March – BUMC provides in the GYM a hot dinner, shower, warm bed, laundry service, breakfast and sack lunch for the next day to homeless men.
Contact Rev. Laura Brantley, firstname.lastname@example.org, 324-7257
Christian Care. To request or become a Stephen Minister contact Sheryl Davis (615-351-8145) or Rev. Allison Fasig (email@example.com).
complete list go to www.bumc.net/Encouragement or call (615-324-7254).
over 900 faithful servants will lift your needs to God? To submit a prayer request or to serve on the e-mail prayer team, contact Bill Fleenor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
a writer or ministry leader by contacting Rev. Erin Racine (email@example.com).
alter flowers or communion or by simply stopping by for a visit. Contact Rev. Erin Racine (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Group (meets most Mondays at 6:30 in Haney Hall). Leadership positions are currently open. Contact Rev. Laura Brantley (email@example.com).
• Stephen Ministry Hurting? Trained Stephen Ministers are available to provide confidential one-to-one
• Support Groups Looking for support and encouragement? Join or lead one of our many support groups. For a • BUMC e-Mail Prayer Team Need prayer? Did you know that you can submit a prayer request 24/7 and that
• GraceNotes Do you want to encourage and support others through writing? Join our GraceNotes ministry as • Visitation Ministry Discover the joy of visiting those who are sick or unable to attend church by delivering • Career Transitions Experiencing job loss or underemployment? Join the Career Transitions Support
• Funeral Ministry Team Provide hospitality and care for families during funeral visitations & services held at
BUMC by being a comforting, knowledgeable and guiding presence. Contact Julie Donley (firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-324-7254).
Contact Rev. Shannon Garrett, email@example.com, 577-7267
• Chancel Choir rehearses Wednesdays, 6:30 – 8:00 pm, Adult Choir Room; Sings Sundays, 11:00 am • BUMC Ringers Adult Handbell Choir, Rehearses Sundays, 5:00 – 6:00 pm, Room B153B • JoySound Orchestra Open to youth and adults. Rehearsals begin Sunday, August 25, 3:45 – 5:00 pm,
Room B163. Contact Patsy Wade, firstname.lastname@example.org, 324-7227.
Brentwood United Methodist Church 309 Franklin Road • Brentwood, TN 37027 615-373-3663 • www.bumc.net like us on facebook
follow us on twitter