Page 1

Playtime Four generations of girls








2000-10s 1

Compiled and edited by Janice D. Green.

Published by Beeline Press P.O. Box 1215 Hemingway, SC 29554

Copyright 2012 by Janice D. Green

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system without the written permission of the Publisher, except where permitted by law.


Contents Pauline’s playtime


Janice’s playtime


Joni’s playtime


Erica’s playtime



Pauline’s playtime

Pauline and her twin brother Paul were the youngest in a family of seven children. Their brothers and sisters were several years older than they were, the next youngest was six years older. They grew up on a farm near Colfax, Indiana in the late 1910 and early ‘20s. Here is how Pauline remembers her childhood playtime: Dolls and Toys I never enjoyed playing with dolls. My mom gave me a big doll once. I asked my mom to give it to a neighbor girl who wouldn’t get much of anything for Christmas but Mom wouldn’t give it to her. One night during a storm our dog got into the house and chewed up the doll. 4

I didn’t have many toys. I mostly got clothes and dresses for presents. One of my favorite Christmas presents was a very full skirt that would fly up when I would spin around. We had a kiddie car tricycle made of wood. I mostly played with my brother, so we played boy games. There wasn’t much time for play because we had many chores to do on the farm. We fed the horses Timothy hay on one side of the barn and fed the cows soybean hay on the other side. When that was done we would slide in the hay. We also enjoyed swinging on the rope that was attached to the fork lift in the barn. We didn’t feel like we worked hard. Chores gave us something worthwhile to do. Our brother Richard, who was nine years older than us, dumped a small load of corn in a loft of the barn near where the pigs were fed; though, this was not where the corn was usually kept. Presently Paul and I noticed a strong mousy odor in the barn and set out to find it. The mice had found this stash of corn and had made their home there. Young mice were scampering everywhere. Paul and I went into action and began throwing ears of corn at them. With all that target practice we got pretty good at it, and before we were finished we had killed 50 or 60 mice. They made a big pile on a grain scoop shovel we used to carry them down from the loft. The cats wouldn’t touch them so we fed them to the hogs. TV had not been invented yet, and we didn’t have a radio when I was growing up. We entertained ourselves when the work was done. I had an Old Maid card game that we played sometimes. 5

Paul and I loved to compete with each other. There was a very tall evergreen tree beside the garage. We would try to see who could climb the highest. At the corner of the chicken house was a nice apple tree. Paul and I would pick out and stake our claim on our apples on the tree a few days before they were ripe. We would watch for them to ripen. Every day we would check to be sure to see that nobody got our claimed apples. There were plenty of apples to go around; we just wanted the ones we had chosen. When we were eight to ten years old, Paul and I regularly walked down a lane from the barn to the woods where the cows pastured. We made a game of leading one another down the path while the other had his/her eyes closed, trying to get the other to step in a cow pie. I discovered later that Paul was only closing one eye when it was his turn, so he seldom stepped into a cow pie. There was a bumblebee nest in the hay baler. We would poke sticks in the baler and then sling dust from the ground at them to discourage the bees by getting the dust in their eyes. I don’t remember getting stung but Paul got stung once or twice. Wintertime There was a pond between the house and the woods, about a half mile away, where Paul and I would go in the wintertime to skate when it froze over. We would take turns sliding on our sled across the frozen pond. One day Paul was riding the sled when he accidentally ran into me causing me to fall and hit my 6

head on the ice. It made such a large bump it really scared Paul and he rushed me to the house, but I was OK. Fishing There was a deep ditch along the side of our farm. We couldn’t play in it because it had some quicksand in it. But we did catch fish in it on the deep end from time to time. Pets Our animals were our friends because there were no neighbor kids who lived close enough to play with very often. Our pig had a litter that was too big - that is, there was one more piglet than she had nipples to feed them, so I fed the smallest one by hand. When this pig got older, he would root its way out of any pen to be where the people were. The pig loved pears and would eat them until it seemed its sides would burst. Later I raised a lamb the same way. The lamb’s mother had delivered triplets, and one lamb had been abandoned. The baby lamb became a pest when it was older. She would cry to be fed with a bottle and want attention. When she had babies she was not a good mother. She would leave them alone to die. We had a dog that was part collie and part German shepherd. We couldn’t decide on a name for him so he was always called “Pup.” Paul and I found a way to play hide and seek with Pup. If we shut the gate to keep him out of the barn yard, he would take off running around the house. Then we would hide in the barn or the corn crib or wagon. When he found one of us we 7

would tell him to go find the other one. This was great fun for all three of us. Pup also brought in the mail. He knew the sound of the mailman’s car and would meet him at the mailbox every day. But the mailman would only give him the mail if someone was also waiting on the porch to receive it from Pup. If the mailman drove off and didn’t give him any mail he would bark and bite at his tires. One day there was another mailman running the route. He had been told to give the mail to Pup, but Pup must have been a little late. The new guy drove off; and soon, here came Pup biting at the wheels and barking. Pup chased him a long way up the road just because he didn’t give him the mail. Pup and I could be anywhere on the farm and he would know when the mailman was making the turn just before coming to our farm. He would take off immediately to be at the mailbox in time to get the mail. Pup stayed outdoors except during rainstorms. Pup could turn the handle on the door. Once when the family was away and a storm came up I said, “I bet Pup and the pig would be in the house when we got home.” And sure enough, they were both in the house behind the door.


Another time Pup was outdoors during a bad snow storm and no one in the family could see him. The next morning, when they called him, he slowly crawled out from under a pile of snow where he was sleeping. We couldn’t say that all of the animals were our friends. Buck sheep would chase anyone who would run. Paul liked to send me to check on the sheep. Sometimes we couldn’t run fast enough to get away and the sheep would buck us knocking us down.


Janice’s Playtime

Janice was the second oldest of five children. She was born in northern Indiana in the mid 1940s. Here is how Janice recalls her childhood playtime: My earliest memories of playtime were in Gary, Indiana. We lived across the street from a city park, and I remember the swing sets. I had a friend named Linda who lived on my street. We played in our sandbox sometimes. I also remember playing paper dolls with her on her front porch. I had another friend who was older than me. I remember sitting in a porch swing with her when she taught me the song, “How Much Is that Doggie in the Window.� Then we sang the song for a supper at our church. I had a tricycle to ride. My older brother had a bicycle. 10

We moved to my father’s family farm in Rochester, Indiana and lived there for three years. I was in the second, third, and fourth grades when we lived on the farm. We had neighbors to play with there, but most of the children were younger than me. Dolls: I never played with dolls much, but I do remember a few dolls I had. I had a small rubber doll when we first moved to the farm. The doll’s eyes had been scratched off of it. My aunt said she could fix it. I was so surprised to see my doll with new eyes. I still wonder how she did it. Our church gave my sister and me dolls for Christmas. But they were really big and had hard heavy heads. We didn’t play with them very much. I remember getting a doll that wet her diaper when you gave her water from a doll bottle. That was pretty cool. Several years later after we moved again the younger neighbor girls played house a lot with their dolls. I decided I had missed 11

something in my childhood, so I saved up my allowance and bought myself a baby doll. I was too big to play dolls then, but somehow I felt I had missed out on something important. Pets When we lived on the farm there were always cats and kittens. My favorite was Inky. I remember Inky from when she was first born. I learned to find the baby kittens in the barn by walking around and saying “mew, mew” trying to sound like a cat. Many times the kittens would then start crying and I could find them by their cries. Inky was so tiny the first time I saw her. She had such big blue eyes, and she would back away from me like she was afraid. But I gently picked her up and loved on her every day, so that by the time she was old enough to leave the nesting place, she would follow me everywhere. I got a Brownie Holiday camera for my eighth birthday. I wanted to take a picture of Inky, but the directions that came with the camera said I had to stand at least eight feet from my subject. Every time I backed away from Inky she walked up to me so I couldn’t get eight feet away from her. I finally gave up and took a picture of another cat that looked something like Inky.


Clubhouses/Playhouses I got my ideas about clubhouses from my older brother, Keith. He and Ronnie, a neighbor kid who lived on the next farm, made a clubhouse out of an empty hog house behind the barn. He didn’t want us “little kids” to play in his clubhouse so we claimed the other smaller empty hog house and fixed it up for ours. Keith and Ronnie had a tree house, but it was very high in a tree. Mom and Dad wouldn’t let us younger kids climb up in it. So Dad built another tree house that was bigger but not so high above the ground for the rest of us. One of our friends fell out and broke his arm. We had another kind of clubhouse one summer. Keith and Ronnie found a large patch of weeds that had grown up in the middle of a wheat field. They pulled or trampled the weeds in the middle of the weed patch and they made the floor. The weeds on the outside of the patch became their walls. Again, “little kids” weren’t allowed, so we found a smaller patch of weeds to make into our own clubhouse. Playing in our yard Our driveway was made of sand, so it was our ready-made sandbox. We had a cherry tree in the front yard and several good sized apple trees in an orchard beside the house that were good for climbing in. There were two more trees in the front yard, but they were much harder to climb because their low branches were so high we could barely reach them. 13

I wanted a swing. Dad said we didn’t have any rope that was strong enough to make a swing. But I was determined to have one anyway. So I took some binder twine that was used for baling hay and braided three strands of the twine. It took a long time to braid and I got tired, so my swing ended up being higher from the ground than what I wanted. I found a board to use for a seat and tied my three-strand rope to the lowest tree branch I could find. My swing worked‌ for a little while. But the board wore through the rope the first day and I landed on the ground with a deep gash on the back of my leg where the board poked me. I still have a scar to remember my swing by. We had several old metal barrels on the farm. We learned to walk on the barrels while they rolled across the yard on their sides. It was easier to walk on the large barrels than on the smaller barrels. We had an old Army tent that we used for family camping trips. We set it up in the back yard and it stayed up a long time. We camped in it in the yard sometimes. It was still up when it snowed the first time that winter. Boats in the Swamp There was a low place in the field behind our barn that almost always had water standing in it. We called it the swamp. There were two old animal watering tanks behind the barn that we kids used for boats in the swamp. One was too tall for me to keep upright, but the other one had low sides so it always stayed upright. The problem with the low one was that it had 14

several small holes in the bottom of it and we had to continually bail out the water with a tin can. My younger sister Joan and I tried to paddle around on the swamp in the low tank but we couldn’t bail the water out fast enough. We paddled over a weedy area where the tank dragged over the top of the weeds. Then we got stuck because we couldn’t move forward when we paddled. Keith came to the rescue and pulled us to shore. Bicycle riding We had one bicycle in the family - the one that was bought for Keith in Gary. Most of us kids learned to ride on it. We took turns riding it up and down our driveway and up and down the longer driveway to the farm across the road. That farm also belonged to my grandparents before we bought the farm. The front tire on my tricycle went flat, but nobody really cared - the bicycle was what counted. Cameras Keith got a camera for Christmas shortly after I got my birthday camera. We enjoyed taking black and white pictures, though we didn’t get to use them as much as we wanted because the film was expensive and so was getting it developed. Keith gave me the idea of trick photography. One of us kids would stand back to 15

be in the picture. Then another kid would hold something closer to the camera on a string. We took a picture of me holding a super big apple that way. We took another one of a frog suspended from a pole that two kids were holding. But the camera picked up the string holding the frog, so nobody was really fooled by that picture. Kite flying on the farm March was great kite-flying weather in Indiana except for the fact that it was still pretty cold outside. I remember once when the whole family went out to the middle of a field and flew kites. Later we made our own kites with newspapers, kite string, and kite sticks Dad cut on his table saw. Snow in Indiana Indiana gets a lot of snow in the winter. On the farm the wind would blow the snow into large drifts. I remember when Keith dug tunnels through the drifts the first winter on the farm. Once when we had an exceptionally big snow my dad helped us to start making an igloo. I think we tried to make it too big because we wore out before we got to the second row of snowballs. I was disappointed when the snow melted and we didn’t get to finish it. Later when we moved to Lapel, I tried again to make an igloo in our back yard. I built the walls pretty high, but still couldn’t figure out how to make a roof with snowballs, so I took some boards and made a covering for my igloo and then piled more snow on top. 16

Toys My favorite toys were jacks and pick-up sticks. I also played with some plastic bricks and with my brothers’ tinker toys and Lincoln logs. I played with marbles for a while, but that was more of a game for boys. My brothers played marbles for keeps and I wasn’t very good at it, so I didn’t have many marbles when I quit playing with them. When we lived on the farm Dad made a pair of stilts once from 2x2 poles with block foot rests about 2 1/2 to 3 feet above the ground. Most of us learned to walk on them. Later after we moved to Lapel, Indiana I talked him into making another pair of stilts for me. I walked around the block on them many times. The neighbors all probably thought I was pretty weird doing that but I liked the challenge of walking around the block without falling. I enjoyed roller skating on the sidewalk in Lapel. We had adjustable skates that fastened onto our shoes. I couldn’t skate on our own sidewalk because the roots of the huge maple trees around our house had made the sidewalk sections twist in different directions. But the next street had nice flat sidewalks that were perfect for skating. Hobbies I enjoyed making things. I was in the fifth grade when my family moved to Lapel. I was fascinated with Mom’s new friend’s weaving looms and wanted to weave too. Mom found a small hand loom for weaving yarn. It made four-inch squares that I sewed together by hand. I made myself a nice scarf with 17

dark blue yarn that had a sparkly thread in it. I wore it a lot. One day my brother threw a rock at a squirrel and the rock ricocheted off of the tree and hit me in the back of the head. I bled all over my scarf, but it cleaned up pretty good and the scarf was dark enough to hide the stain so I could still wear it. Mom’s friend taught me how to make flowers out of soft squares of a special material that felt like flower petals. I also started making things out of popsicle sticks. I made a lamp base and shade, and a pocket book. I glued some of my flowers on the top of my popsicle purse and carried it to school until the glue came loose. Swimming I have always loved to swim. Some of my earliest swimming memories were at Lake Manitau in Rochester, Indiana. When we lived in Lapel, I took swimming lessons and earned my “I learned to swim at the YMCA” pin. We rode to the Anderson YMCA on a school bus every day for a week for the free swimming lessons. Our family sometimes swam at a public lake “beach,” out in the country, and there was another pool in Pendleton. There was also a small river in Pendleton where my brothers and sister and I rode on bicycles once. We enjoyed swimming that day but we had problems getting home because my brother’s towel got caught in his spokes and he had to walk with his bike. Our parents came looking for us when we didn’t get home before dark. Then we rode the good bikes home in the headlights while my brother and his crippled bike rode home in the car. 18

Music I wanted to sing on the radio when I grew up. I practiced every morning on the school bus with a friend in my class. To me this was serious practice. An older girl at school taught me the song, “Let Me Go Lover,” from a magazine that had words to popular songs in it. She taught another girl the song, “This Old House.” Keith told me that I would have to practice 100 years before I would ever be good enough to sing on the radio. We had an old upright piano on the farm. My Dad taught me how the keys on the piano matched the music and gave me my first piano lesson using an old primer piano book we had. I wanted him to give me another lesson, but he told me to just read the book and do what it said. So I taught myself how to play all the songs in the piano book and learned to play the recital piece in the back by memory. When we moved to Lapel we had to leave the old piano behind. About two years later we bought a new piano on a Saturday. One week later I went back to the store where we bought the piano to take my first real piano lesson. My teacher knew we had just purchased the piano. I played the recital piece in the back of that piano book perfectly for him. He must have decided that I was a musical genius, as he started giving me some really difficult sheet music for my very first assignment. At first I struggled so hard to figure them out and play them that I would sit and cry. One of the pieces he gave me after two or three months was an eleven page piece by Mozart. To this day (50 years later) I can’t play that piece of music well. I quit piano lessons after 9 months. 19

Later I took lessons again from a teacher who gave me music that was much easier - so much easier that I felt insulted. I took lessons for nine more months before I quit again. Mom played the piano very well. When we got together with our cousins we often gathered around the piano to sing. Keith, Mom, and I would sing at home. I wish I could play as well as my mom played, but it wasn’t meant to be.


Joni’s Playtime: Joni was an only child and grew up in Cheraw, South Carolina. She was born in the mid 1970s. Here are her childhood memories‌ Backyard playground When I was really young I played in a heart-shaped sandbox my dad made for me in the back yard. I remember once after a really hard rain the back yard flooded and we played in the water. My mom bought a used yellow above ground swimming pool and put it up in the back yard for us to swim in. After it wore out, dad made an unusual pool out of a discarded chemical tank that had a leak at the top. He cut the top off and sunk it part way into the ground. It was five feet deep and only eight or ten feet across. Dad also built a big playhouse for me. It had a real telephone, a bed and a desk in it. He put a microscope on the desk and we looked at stuff through it. Mom and grandpa made a birdhouse out of a section of a log they hollowed out. Dad hung it up on a sweetgum tree in our back yard. Some birds started to nest in it until bumblebees moved in and ran the birds off. I got stung once on my head and twice on my back. A neighbor boy also got stung up pretty bad, so we took the birdhouse down at night and put it under water to drown the bumblebees. 21

Dad got an army surplus parachute and hung it up in our backyard to play with. It made a great tent. I had a circus birthday party and all my friends came dressed up like clowns and circus people. The only trees in our back yard were pine trees that were too tall to climb. But sometimes I climbed the magnolia tree at April’s house across the street. Play kitchen I had a play kitchen in my room when I was really little, but I don’t remember it very well. I remember it best by the pictures in the picture albums. I had little dishes and play food to go with my kitchen. My dad made a little table and a rocking chair for my room. Dolls & Toys I named my first doll “Yellow Baby.” She was a yellow Baby Beans doll. I also remember getting a Monchichi monkey. My mom made a puppet doll for me. When I put my hand in it I could move the baby’s arms around. Mama also made me a bigger doll that was like a Cabbage Patch Kid doll. But April & some of my other friends wouldn’t let me play with them once, because I didn’t have a real Cabbage Patch Kid doll. I finally got a small one when the prices started to come down. When I was three I got a pair of roller skates for Christmas. They were made to wear over my shoes and could be adjusted to fit several shoe sizes. I learned to skate on the concrete patio at our back door. We tied some pillows to my legs and butt 22

until I could keep my balance. I also had to be careful around the brick steps at the door. Computers I remember playing computer games on our Commodore 20 computer. We got the computer when Mom and Dad went to hear a sales pitch at a place at Myrtle Beach. My dad learned how to program it enough to make some little picture graphics designs. He also made up some computer games with quizzes about states and capitals and general question and answer quizzes. The games were saved on cassette tapes. Later we got better computers. Mom bought an IBM PC with an amber monitor because she wanted to be a writer. I played some arcade games on her computer. The computer didn’t have a hard drive. The games were on big floppy disks. They were mostly educational games. Games I had a few board games. I remember playing Chutes & Ladders, Candyland, Hi Ho Cherryo, and when I got older we played Monopoly and some other games. When Mom and I went to Grandma and Grandpa’s house in Tennessee we played Uno and Skipbo. Grandma taught me how to shuffle cards. Crafts I always liked to make things. I made several collages and pictures by gluing construction paper pieces together.


When I was a little older I learned how to make friendship macramé bracelets out of embroidery thread. I got really good at it and made them for several of my friends. Some were really wide. The widest one I finished was about 1 1/2” wide with a full rainbow of colors. I still have this bracelet. Bicycles I got my first bicycle with training wheels when I was about five or six. The first time I rode it without training wheels I didn’t know how to turn around or stop, so I kept riding until I rode all the way around the block. The next time Mom ran beside me when I rode in the street. Later Mom and I both got new 5-speed bicycles so she wouldn’t have to run along beside me and we could ride places together. When the days were longer, we would ride them to evening church services. Sometimes Mom would take my bicycle to school in her car. Then she would go home and ride her bike across town to the school so we could ride our bikes home together. This was when I was in the third grade. Snow We didn’t get much snow where we lived in South Carolina, but when it did snow we built snowmen in the back yard. Once we went to the boat landing and slid down the embankment at the side of the road. Our “sleds” were antique round red Coca Cola signs. My dad had a new camcorder and took pictures of us sledding on the Coca Cola signs.


Other Activities We often went camping, boating and fishing on the Pee Dee River. There was a sandy bank a few miles downstream called Cooter Island where we camped. We swam a little there, but the bottom dropped off too quickly into deep water. There was a better place to swim upstream from the boat landing where there was a nice gravel bottom and it wasn’t too deep. Dad started a business selling fishing tackle, soft drinks, snacks, and other things at the boat landing on weekends for a year or two. He keep everything in a camper and we slept in it at night. People would come and play guitars and sing around the campfire. One time someone gave me fifty cents for my birthday. When I showed it to another man, he gave me some more change to go with it. Then I showed it to somebody else who also gave me some more change. I thought that was pretty cool and kept showing people my money. Before long I had over twelve dollars. I was only about three years old at the time. While Dad was still doing the business at the boat landing, the town brought in a lot of sand and made major improvements at the landing. I had a big time playing in the sand that day. With a couple of other kids we dug deep holes and made tunnels in the sand. When Mama took me home she hosed me down good outside before she brought me into the house. Then she washed my hair twice and gave me a badly needed bath. Dad built a houseboat from part of the frame of an old house trailer. Two of the wheels remained attached to it which served as the trailer for getting the house boat to the water. It had a 25

cabin that he and Mom built. Inside the cabin was a kitchen, bathroom, a table and seats, and our beds. The kitchen appliances and table and benches came from the old camper we had used for the boat landing business. We stayed on the houseboat for a couple of Pee Dee River vacations, including one of our Christmas vacations. Our family always took a vacation every year between Christmas and New Years. Sometimes we camped out and sometimes we stayed in motels. Several times we went to the same place at Myrtle Beach where I made friends with Myrteen and Timmy. They were the grandchildren of the lady who owned the motel where we stayed. One Christmas it turned exceptionally cold and the water that filled up our footprints turned to shoe-shaped pieces of ice that we could pick up. My dad liked to do educational projects. A favorite project was to lay leaves and other objects on blueprint paper and expose it to sunlight for a few seconds. Then we put the blueprint paper in a black garbage bag with strong ammonia in it to develop the prints. That was really fun. Another project was to leave a black light on at night to attract moths and other insects. I especially remember catching Luna Moths that way. 26

Erica’s Playtime Erica has two older brothers, Jonathan and Wesley. They have moved several times. These memories are mostly from Rocky Mount (Nashville), NC and Manassas, VA. Erica was born soon after the turn of the century. Pets: We once had a Great Dane dog named Domino. He used to let me ride on his back when I was little. He was a very sweet dog. But one day he got into the trash can and ate some food that was mixed in with some broken glass. We had to give him away to someone who could afford to pay a doctor to fix him up. IDK (pronounced Ittykay) was a stray calico cat. My dad fed her and she stayed. IDK had three kittens. One of the kittens was named Noggen. We gave the other two kittens away. One day IDK had an open wound. The vet had to shave her fur so he could put medicine on it. Ittykay is pig Latin for Kitty, but IDK stands for I Don’t Know (where she came from). 27

My brothers have a pet python that I enjoy holding. Jonathan likes to put the python on his head. They also used to have a pet iguana but they gave it away when I was three. Dolls: I used to have a magnet doll set with magnetic clothes. All of the pieces were made of magnets with the pictures painted on one side. The dolls had stands to hold them up. Another kind of doll I used to play with was Polly Pocket dolls. They were very small dolls about three inches tall. I carried them around with me to church and to my friends’ houses. I used to play house in my room with play dishes and teapot. I would pretend I had a playmate to play house with. I used to play with my Barbie doll until my brother chopped it up with an axe. I have other dolls, but I don’t play with them much. Games: We have a Wii, but I don’t play it all that much. My brothers play with it most of the time. I really like to play twister with Katherine from my church, or with my brother Wesley, and sometimes just by myself.


We made up a game called “Guess what.” One person draws a picture and the other person tries to guess what it is. The person who guesses it gets to draw the next picture. Some games we play while riding in the car are My Horse (shout this out if you see a horse), Punch Bug (if you see a Volkswagen car), and Yellow Car (if you see a yellow car). Girly stuff: I like to paint my fingernails and toenails. I like rings and necklaces. My favorite dress of all time is a dress with hot pink lily-like flowers on it and a hot pink ribbon for a belt. It was a little bit long when it was new but it didn’t reach the floor. My first grade teacher gave me a really pretty dress, but the zipper broke and I didn’t get to wear it very many times. I really liked that dress. I have a favorite pocket book. It is crocheted in black yarn with big multi-colored sequins hanging all over it. Bicycle I learned to ride a bicycle when I was 4 or 5. I learned to ride on Wesley’s bike, then I got my own bike. Wesley, Mom, and my cousin Ashley all helped me to learn to ride my bike. Swimming I love to swim. I passed the swimming test at the WMCA when I was 8 years old. I could kind-of swim a little before then, but not very well. My favorite place to swim is at Camp Wamava, a church camp in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. 29

School I ride a bus to school. Art, Music, PE and Science are my favorite subjects. After school I watch TV, do homework, and play outside. When I play outside I help Wesley catch bugs. Sometimes we make a fort out of parts of our old bed in the yard. We put branches and leaves on it. And sometimes I swing on the tree swing. Toys I used to have lots of stuffed animals. My favorite was a pink fluffy teddy bear, but I don’t know what happened to it. I must have left it at someone’s house. Camera Mama lets me use her old digital camera to take pictures. That is fun. I like to take pictures of my eyeball, the inside of my mouth, my feet, and other goofy things I think of. Snow My family likes to get outside when we get a really good snow. One time we went sledding down the snow-covered grassy sides of the exit ramp from Highway 64 in Rocky Mount, NC. Our sleds were trash can lids and a huge piece of cardboard about 6’ by 4’ that my dad laminated on both sides with duct tape.


Playtime: Four generations of girls  

This is a book of memories of four generations in one family. Each "girl" tells about things she did during her playtime as a young girl. Th...

Playtime: Four generations of girls  

This is a book of memories of four generations in one family. Each "girl" tells about things she did during her playtime as a young girl. Th...