WW102-586 Part Two.qxp_Layout 1 07/06/2019 17:01 Page 166
425. A George IV tortoiseshell sewing box by Thomas Lund, inlaid with pewter stringing, the pagoda shape hinged lid centred with a mother of pearl plaque inscribed ‘Mrs Brown.’, the interior with ivory edging and two tone green silk lining, the underside of the lid with a mirror and a letter pouch, with a printed green paper label inscribed ‘Bought at THOS LUND’S Superior Manufactory, 56 & 57 Cornhill, London’, the lift-out tray with lidded compartments and divisions fitted with high quality spools and various other utensils, 13.5cm high, £2,000-3,000 30.5cm wide, 23cm deep.
Provenance: Antigone Clarke & Joseph O’Kelly, Antique Boxes, Tea Caddies & Society, 1700-1880, 2nd Edition, p.148, fig.209. Thomas Lund was at 56 and 57 Cornhill, London from 1819 until 1840 as a 'Manufacturer of Improved Letter Copying Machines for Counting Houses or Travelling, Portable Writing Desks, Dressing Cases, Pocket Books &c, &c,'.
426. An early Victorian tortoiseshell tea caddy, of sarcophagus shape, inlaid with pewter stringing, the mother of pearl inset hinged lid with a vacant metal plaque, the serpentine front with mother of pearl uprights, the interior with ivory edging and a lidded compartment, on flattened bun ivory feet, 10.2cm high, 14.7cm wide, 10.6cm deep. £300-500 Provenance: Antigone Clarke & Joseph O’Kelly.
427. An early Victorian tortoiseshell work box, the hinged lid inset with a reverse glass patent pearl picture of St Paul’s Cathedral, attributed to Thomas Lane, titled ‘SAINT PAULS’, the interior with ivory edging and a lift-out tray, 11.7cm high, 27.8cm wide, 20.1cm deep. £500-700 Provenance: Antigone Clarke & Joseph O’Kelly, Antique Boxes, Tea Caddies & Society, 1700-1880, 2nd Edition, p.67, fig.85. Thomas Lane (fl. c.1821-1855/6) was based at the Royal Papier-Mâché Works, 91 Great Hampton Street, Birmingham and 20 Upper Hockley Street. He is best known for his wares with designs and pictures highlighted with thin flakes of mother of pearl on the underside of the glass which he called 'patent pearl glass', although this was first patented by a Joseph Gibson.
Furniture, Works of Art & Clocks | Wednesday 3rd July 2019