__MAIN_TEXT__

Page 1

Roman Hill House Colchester, Essex

A stunning Georgian House standing in formal gardens and grounds in the centre of a 14 acre parkland setting, the sale of which includes the title of Lordship of the Manor of East Donyland


Roman Hill House Features Entrance hall Central hall E Dining room E Sitting room E Cloakroom E Rear hall E Study/office E Kitchen/ breakfast room E Utility rooms E Game larder E Sewing room E Two cellars E Master bedroom with en-suite bathroom E Family bathroom E Four further principle bedrooms E En-suite bathroom and separate shower room E Three attic bedrooms E E

Situation Roman Hill House presents mellow brick elevations under a slate roof with an impressive central porch set on fluted columns with a coach lamp and steps up to the four panelled part glazed front door and entrance hall. A door to the left leads to cloak hanging space and cloakroom with W.C. and washbasin. Part glazed double French doors open into the central hall with impressive staircase to the first floor galleried landing.

A part glazed door from the middle hall leads to a side lobby and the main garden terrace. The Kitchen/breakfast room has recessed ceiling spotlights, comprehensive range of fitted wall and floor units, gas range with electric ovens in recess with tiled back and shelf over, granite work surfaces and part glass fronted display cupboards. A utility room adjacent to the kitchen has integral dishwasher, double sink with waste disposal unit and fitted units.

The double aspect dining room has an open fireplace, decorative cornicing and picture rails and a connecting door to the drawing room.

The Rear hall leads to freezer and storage rooms with game larder and pantry, it also has a door to the sewing/ironing room and rear lobby which has coat hanging space and door to the courtyard. At the end of the hall is a large utility room with double bowl sink and space for washing and drying machines, walk-in storage cupboards and wine store.

The drawing room has glazed double French doors to the terrace and rose garden, an open fireplace with marble surround, picture light points, cornice and arch headed double doors back to the central hall. Also leading from the hall is the sitting room with glazed door and side screens to the garden. It has built-in bookshelves with cupboards under. From the hall, steps lead down to the central hall which has access to a good sized cellar with an oil fired boiler, staircase to first floor, cloakroom with W.C. and washbasin, and walk-in storage cupboard. The Study is above a secondary cellar and has access to well water.

From the main hall a staircase leads to the wide first floor landing with sitting/study area at one end together with storage cupboards and staircase to second floor. The double aspect Master bedroom 1 has an open fireplace and fully fitted en-suite bathroom with separate shower cubicle. There is also a Family bathroom with bath and shower over. Bedroom 2 with picture rail and two wardrobe cupboards, bedroom 3 with inset washbasin in marble surround with mirrored back, picture rail and hanging cupboard. Steps down from the main landing lead to the nursery wing which has a cloakroom with W.C., storage cupboards, a separate shower room and a secondary staircase to the ground floor. Bedroom 4 has an en-suite bathroom with separate shower cubicle which is shared with bedroom 5. The attic rooms are accessed via a staircase from the second floor landing, there are hanging cupboards and three attic bedrooms all with wardrobe cupboards.


Roman Hill House Features Entrance hall Central hall E Dining room E Sitting room E Cloakroom E Rear hall E Study/office E Kitchen/ breakfast room E Utility rooms E Game larder E Sewing room E Two cellars E Master bedroom with en-suite bathroom E Family bathroom E Four further principle bedrooms E En-suite bathroom and separate shower room E Three attic bedrooms E E

Situation Roman Hill House presents mellow brick elevations under a slate roof with an impressive central porch set on fluted columns with a coach lamp and steps up to the four panelled part glazed front door and entrance hall. A door to the left leads to cloak hanging space and cloakroom with W.C. and washbasin. Part glazed double French doors open into the central hall with impressive staircase to the first floor galleried landing.

A part glazed door from the middle hall leads to a side lobby and the main garden terrace. The Kitchen/breakfast room has recessed ceiling spotlights, comprehensive range of fitted wall and floor units, gas range with electric ovens in recess with tiled back and shelf over, granite work surfaces and part glass fronted display cupboards. A utility room adjacent to the kitchen has integral dishwasher, double sink with waste disposal unit and fitted units.

The double aspect dining room has an open fireplace, decorative cornicing and picture rails and a connecting door to the drawing room.

The Rear hall leads to freezer and storage rooms with game larder and pantry, it also has a door to the sewing/ironing room and rear lobby which has coat hanging space and door to the courtyard. At the end of the hall is a large utility room with double bowl sink and space for washing and drying machines, walk-in storage cupboards and wine store.

The drawing room has glazed double French doors to the terrace and rose garden, an open fireplace with marble surround, picture light points, cornice and arch headed double doors back to the central hall. Also leading from the hall is the sitting room with glazed door and side screens to the garden. It has built-in bookshelves with cupboards under. From the hall, steps lead down to the central hall which has access to a good sized cellar with an oil fired boiler, staircase to first floor, cloakroom with W.C. and washbasin, and walk-in storage cupboard. The Study is above a secondary cellar and has access to well water.

From the main hall a staircase leads to the wide first floor landing with sitting/study area at one end together with storage cupboards and staircase to second floor. The double aspect Master bedroom 1 has an open fireplace and fully fitted en-suite bathroom with separate shower cubicle. There is also a Family bathroom with bath and shower over. Bedroom 2 with picture rail and two wardrobe cupboards, bedroom 3 with inset washbasin in marble surround with mirrored back, picture rail and hanging cupboard. Steps down from the main landing lead to the nursery wing which has a cloakroom with W.C., storage cupboards, a separate shower room and a secondary staircase to the ground floor. Bedroom 4 has an en-suite bathroom with separate shower cubicle which is shared with bedroom 5. The attic rooms are accessed via a staircase from the second floor landing, there are hanging cupboards and three attic bedrooms all with wardrobe cupboards.


Features E

Coach house with annexe accommodation, extensive storage and stabling

E

Open fronted cart lodge garages

E

Large Essex barn with adjoining stabling barn and storage

E

Impressive and productive kitchen garden

E

Hard tennis court

E

Formal gardens/ grounds and arboretum

E

Parkland setting

E

Railed paddocks

E

Ponds

E

Helicopter Pad

E

In all 14.23 acres

Outside Hand crafted wrought iron electronically operated double gates on brick piers lead to a wide entrance drive through a parkland setting to an extensive parking and turning area in front of the house beyond which are lawns, mature trees, and railed paddocks. To the left there is a small arboretum with many specimen shrubs and trees. The drive leads to the back of the house through high brick piers to the coach house courtyard. The brick coach house with slate roof has two sets of double doors with garaging, workshops and storage. A central stable door leads to substantial stable stalls with high divisions and cobbled floors. The floor above would lend itself to conversion into annexe accommodation. To the rear of this building is an impressive and productive kitchen garden, hedged and interspersed with shingled pathways. To the side there is an open double bay cart lodge garage with slate roof and weather boarded elevations. Adjoining oil tank and greenhouse.

The impressive timber framed and weather boarded Essex barn 60’ x 20’ has water, power and light connected. The adjoining stables and storage buildings are constructed of brick and weather board 36’ x 15’ and timber and weather board 30’ x 26’. In all there is stabling for at least 9 horses. Beyond is a hard tennis court and helicopter pad. Immediately to the rear of the house is an enclosed courtyard with high brick wall and slate and brick out buildings 36’ x 6’ incorporating wood store, dog kennel, fruit store and gardeners W.C. The formal gardens lie principally to the South and West of the house with shaped garden trellises and paths to an extensive terrace with Pergola arch and shingled path together with wide lawns and mature rose, shrub and herbaceous borders along with mature trees (some of which can be floodlit) including beech, cedar, scots pine and holm oak. In the surrounding land there are wild flowers such as bluebell, daffodil and snow drops in profusion. Beyond the Essex barn are two spring fed ponds which are used to supply the irrigation system to both the flower and vegetable gardens. There is also a secondary entrance to the property from the Mersea Road this leads to the barn which subject to planning could be converted into an attractive house. The field and wood to the South adjoins several hundred acres of Donyland Woods.


Features E

Coach house with annexe accommodation, extensive storage and stabling

E

Open fronted cart lodge garages

E

Large Essex barn with adjoining stabling barn and storage

E

Impressive and productive kitchen garden

E

Hard tennis court

E

Formal gardens/ grounds and arboretum

E

Parkland setting

E

Railed paddocks

E

Ponds

E

Helicopter Pad

E

In all 14.23 acres

Outside Hand crafted wrought iron electronically operated double gates on brick piers lead to a wide entrance drive through a parkland setting to an extensive parking and turning area in front of the house beyond which are lawns, mature trees, and railed paddocks. To the left there is a small arboretum with many specimen shrubs and trees. The drive leads to the back of the house through high brick piers to the coach house courtyard. The brick coach house with slate roof has two sets of double doors with garaging, workshops and storage. A central stable door leads to substantial stable stalls with high divisions and cobbled floors. The floor above would lend itself to conversion into annexe accommodation. To the rear of this building is an impressive and productive kitchen garden, hedged and interspersed with shingled pathways. To the side there is an open double bay cart lodge garage with slate roof and weather boarded elevations. Adjoining oil tank and greenhouse.

The impressive timber framed and weather boarded Essex barn 60’ x 20’ has water, power and light connected. The adjoining stables and storage buildings are constructed of brick and weather board 36’ x 15’ and timber and weather board 30’ x 26’. In all there is stabling for at least 9 horses. Beyond is a hard tennis court and helicopter pad. Immediately to the rear of the house is an enclosed courtyard with high brick wall and slate and brick out buildings 36’ x 6’ incorporating wood store, dog kennel, fruit store and gardeners W.C. The formal gardens lie principally to the South and West of the house with shaped garden trellises and paths to an extensive terrace with Pergola arch and shingled path together with wide lawns and mature rose, shrub and herbaceous borders along with mature trees (some of which can be floodlit) including beech, cedar, scots pine and holm oak. In the surrounding land there are wild flowers such as bluebell, daffodil and snow drops in profusion. Beyond the Essex barn are two spring fed ponds which are used to supply the irrigation system to both the flower and vegetable gardens. There is also a secondary entrance to the property from the Mersea Road this leads to the barn which subject to planning could be converted into an attractive house. The field and wood to the South adjoins several hundred acres of Donyland Woods.


Location Roman Hill House is in Blackheath to the South of Colchester and is within about 2 miles of the town centre. Colchester is England’s oldest recorded town and offers a comprehensive range of shopping, educational, recreational

Approx. Gross Internal Area and leisure facilities as well as mainline railway services to London Liverpool Street Station with a journey time of about 50 minutes. There are excellent sailing opportunities from Mersea Island to the South. There

are schools in both the state and private sector including the Royal Grammar School for Boys and Colchester County High School for Girls (both in the top five state schools in the country). There are private schools at Holmwood House, St. Mary’s and Oxford House.

5509 sq.ft. / 514 sq.m.

Historical Background The present Georgian style house was built in 1822 for David and Susannah Mustard. There are references to the first house as early as 1524. The nearby Essex barns were erected around 1817 and there are records of a medieval brick kiln found in the grounds.

Rolls. The Lordship of the Manor is included in the sale together with rare and important original documents. The last Mustard family member died in 1851 and it passed to Phillip Havens who at that time was Lord of the Manor having inherited the title in 1797.

The house has an interesting history and was for almost 200 years associated with the Manor of East Donyland and mentioned many times in the Court

In 1898 the War Department bought the house and it became the home of various Army officers, one of the most notable being Brigadier General E H H Allenby

who was resident in 1906 and 1908. He subsequently became Viscount Allenby in 1919 after being in command of the British Forces in Palestine during the First World War. From 1948 the house was the official residence of successive General Officers and often entertained royalty including Princess Alice in 1980 and the Duke of Kent in 1984. The house was bought from the Ministry of Defence by the present owners in 1996.

Measured in accordance with RICS guidelines. Every attempt is made to ensure accuracy, however all measurements are approximate. This floor plan is for illustrative purposes only and is not to scale.


Location Roman Hill House is in Blackheath to the South of Colchester and is within about 2 miles of the town centre. Colchester is England’s oldest recorded town and offers a comprehensive range of shopping, educational, recreational

Approx. Gross Internal Area and leisure facilities as well as mainline railway services to London Liverpool Street Station with a journey time of about 50 minutes. There are excellent sailing opportunities from Mersea Island to the South. There

are schools in both the state and private sector including the Royal Grammar School for Boys and Colchester County High School for Girls (both in the top five state schools in the country). There are private schools at Holmwood House, St. Mary’s and Oxford House.

5509 sq.ft. / 514 sq.m.

Historical Background The present Georgian style house was built in 1822 for David and Susannah Mustard. There are references to the first house as early as 1524. The nearby Essex barns were erected around 1817 and there are records of a medieval brick kiln found in the grounds.

Rolls. The Lordship of the Manor is included in the sale together with rare and important original documents. The last Mustard family member died in 1851 and it passed to Phillip Havens who at that time was Lord of the Manor having inherited the title in 1797.

The house has an interesting history and was for almost 200 years associated with the Manor of East Donyland and mentioned many times in the Court

In 1898 the War Department bought the house and it became the home of various Army officers, one of the most notable being Brigadier General E H H Allenby

who was resident in 1906 and 1908. He subsequently became Viscount Allenby in 1919 after being in command of the British Forces in Palestine during the First World War. From 1948 the house was the official residence of successive General Officers and often entertained royalty including Princess Alice in 1980 and the Duke of Kent in 1984. The house was bought from the Ministry of Defence by the present owners in 1996.

Measured in accordance with RICS guidelines. Every attempt is made to ensure accuracy, however all measurements are approximate. This floor plan is for illustrative purposes only and is not to scale.


Roman Hill House Services Mains water, electricity and drainage are connected. Bottled gas for the cooker. Oil fired central heating. Local Authority: Colchester Borough Council, Lexden Grange, 127 Lexden Road, Colchester, CO3 2RJ Tel. 01206 282222 Essex County Council, County Hall, Market Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 1LF Tel. 01245 492211.

Fixtures and Fittings Items regarded as fixtures and fittings, including carpets and curtains, are initially excluded from the sale, although certain items may be available by separate negotiation.

Viewings By appointment only through the agents Jackson-Stops & Staff, Tel. 01473 218218 or 01245 467468.

Directions Drive South out of Colchester on the B1025 Mersea Road until it becomes Blackheath, and just after you leave the outskirts of Colchester town itself, Roman Hill House is on the left hand side. (Approximately 2 miles from the town centre.) Post Code CO2 0BX.

Fast Find: 47410

Important Notice Jackson-Stops & Staff for themselves and the vendors of this property whose agents they are give notice that: (i) These particulars have been prepared in good faith to give a fair overall view of the property and do not form any part of an offer or contract to the purchaser or any third party, and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact. (ii) Purchasers must rely on their own enquiries by inspections or otherwise on all matters including planning or other consents. (iii) The information in these particulars is given without responsibility on the part of JacksonStops & Staff or their clients. Neither Jackson-Stops & Staff nor their employees have any authority to make or give any representations or warranties whatever in relation to this property. (iv) Any areas, measurements or distances referred to are given as a guide only and are not precise. Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive nor current; no assumption should be made that any contents shown are included in the sale nor with regards to parts of the property which have not been photographed. (v) Jackson-Stops & Staff have not tested any services or equipment and nothing in these particulars should be deemed to be a statement that they are in good working order nor that the property is in good structural condition.

Jackson-Stops & Staff 15 Tower Street, Ipswich Suffolk IP1 3BE Ipswich Office 01473 218218 ipswich@jackson-stops.co.uk www.jackson-stops.co.uk

Profile for Jackie McAngus

Roman hill house issuu  

Roman hill house issuu  

Advertisement