EXTRA PRACTICE. 2nd BACHILLERATO. 2012/13
1.- TENSES REVIEW. 1.1.- Present Simple vs. Present Continuous 1) Choose the correct form of the verb to complete the sentences. a) Harry is on holiday. He stays/is staying at a hotel near the beach. b) Look out of the window! Two men fight/are fighting in the street. c) Every morning I wake up/am waking up very early. d) “Where do you come/are you coming from?” “Australia. I’m Australian.” e) Could you phone me later? I have/am having my dinner at the moment. f) Tom is a businessman. He travels/is travelling a lot in his job. 2) Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets. a) “Do you know where Patrick is?” “Yes. He ____ (watch) TV.” b) Every year we ___ (go) to the coast for our holiday. c) Normally, Mary ___ (not work) at the weekend. d) My father always ___ (come) home from work very late. e) Listen to me! I ___ (talk) to you, and you ___ (not listen) to me! f) In Britain, often young people ___ (not live) at home with their parents. 3) Write the questions. Match each question to the correct answer. 1) What time/get up? 2) What/do? 3) What/like doing in the evening? 4) What languages/speak? 5) What/usually do in the evening? 6) What/ do at the moment?
a) b) c) d) e) f)
I’m a teacher. I get up at 7 o’clock. I usually plan my lessons in the evening. I like watching films on my DVD. I’m correcting some students’ work at the moment. English, Spanish and a bit of French.
4) Complete the conversation with the correct form of the verb in brackets. a) May What ___ (you/do)? Sam ___ (I/be) a musician. b) May Where ___ (you/be) now? Sam ___ (I/sit) in my bedroom. c) May What ___ (you/do) at the moment? Sam ___ (I/do) my homework, but ___ (I/not know) the answer to question five. May Neither do I. ___ (I/not understand) that question. d) Sam Why ___ (you/phone) me so late? It’s almost 11 o’clock. May Oh, because ___ (my parents/not be) here, and ___ (I/hate) being on my own in the house. Sometimes, ___ (I/think) there is a ghost here. e) May ___ (you/believe) in ghosts? Sam No, not really. But ___ (my brother/love) books and films about them. In fact, ___ (he/watch) a horror film in the living room right now.
1.2.- Past simple vs. Past continuous 1) Choose the correct form of the verb to complete the sentences. a) Paul got up early and went/was going for a run. b) I met Sally while I studied/was studying English at university. c) When Harry arrived/was arriving at Mary’s house, he felt very tired. d) The students did/were doing an exam when the lights went out. e) James cooked/was cooking dinner for me last night. f) I read/was reading “Harry Potter”, and then I saw the film.
2) Complete the paragraphs with the correct form of the verbs in brackets. a) It (1)___(be) really late at night, and I (2)___(walk) home. Suddenly, I (3)___(hear) a person behind me. I (4)___(not know) who it was at first, but then I (5)___(see) that it was my friend, Simon! b) While I (1)___(study) in Toledo I (2)___(meet) Antonio. He (3)___(be) from Seville but he (4)___(work) in Madrid. One night while we (5)___(have) dinner he (6)___(ask) me to marry him! Now he is my husband!
1.3.- Past simple, past continuous and past perfect. 3) Choose the correct form of the verb to complete the sentences. a) John couldn’t do his homework because he left/had left all his books at school. b) She played very well, although she had not played/didn’t play hockey before. c) I hadn’t gone/didn’t go to the cinema last night because I had seen/saw the film already. d) Sue and her children arrived/had arrived at tea time. Luckily, that morning I made/had made three cakes. 4) Complete the sentences with the correct form (past simple, past continuous or past perfect simple) of the verb in brackets. f) When we ___ (arrive), the cinema ___ (be) empty. g) It ___ (be) lovely to see Sonia again last night. I ___ (not see) her since last Christmas. h) One hour after she ___ (arrive) home, she ___ (start) to feel unwell. i) When the film ___ (finish), I ___ (turn) the TV off. j) When we arrived at their house, there ___ (be) no-one there. They ___ (go) to a party!
1.4.- Used to 1)
Rewrite the sentences using used to + infinitive, but only when possible. a) At primary school, I got up early every day. b) Yesterday, I got up very early. c) I went out with a friend last weekend. d) I lived in London when I was younger. e) Every year, my family went to the beach. f) Where did you go on holiday last year?
1.5.- Present Perfect 1) Choose the present perfect simple or the past simple to complete the sentences a) Jenny studied/has studied English for three years. She really enjoys the subject. b) In 1999 I went/have gone to Italy. c) I can’t play because I broke/have broken my leg. d) Yesterday I saw/have seen the new Johnny Depp film. e) Did/Has your mother ever go/been to England? f) I can’t do my homework. I lost/have lost my dictionary. 2) Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verb in brackets. a) My grandparents ___ (live) in Mexico between 1980 and 1991, then they came back to Spain. b) Tim Burton ___ (make) many films, but his latest film is the best one yet. c) Peter ___ (not eat) sushi before, so he is excited about going to a Japanese restaurant tomorrow. d) Susan can’t go skiing because she ___ (break) her arm. e) Last Christmas, we ___ (stay) at my grandmother’s house in the country. f) Before becoming a teacher Gary ___ (play)professional football for 10 years. 3) Complete the second sentence, using the present perfect simple and the word in brackets, so that it means the same as the first sentence. a) Caroline has lived in Japan since 2001. (for) b) Pam wants to finish studying before 9 pm. (yet) c) I bought these trousers 10 minutes ago. (just) d) Tom went home at 5 pm. (already) e) Suzanne started working here last April. (since) 4) Complete the sentences about your experiences. a) I have ___ a student at this school since ___. b) I have ___ English for ___ years. c) I’ve never ___. d) I haven’t ___ yet. 5)
Choose the correct answer. a) Patrick has played/has been playing tennis all day. b) Jill has found/has been finding three viruses in her inbox. c) How long have you travelled/have you been travelling around India? d) They have spent/have been spending 200 euros. e) How many times have you done/have you been doing an English test? f) Gary looks tired. He has worked/has been working hard all day.
1.6.- The future 1) Read the telephone conversation. Choose the correct form of the verb to complete the sentences. a) Amy: Hi Tim. What are you doing/will do on Saturday? b) Tim: Well, I’m playing/’ll play football in the morning, but I’m free in the afternoon. Amy: Great. Would you like to come round and listen to some music? c) Tim: Sure. I know, I’ll bring/’m going to bring something to drink. d) Amy: Good idea. OK then, I’ll get/’m getting something to eat. e) Tim: Will you go/Are you going to Karen’s birthday party next weekend?
Amy: Yes, I am. Have you got her a present? f) Tim: Not yet, but I’ve already decided what I’m going to buy/’ll buy her. Amy: What? Tim: Nothing! She forgot my birthday last week.
2) Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets. a) “I’m very cold.” “OK, I ___ (close) the window.” b) I ___ (learn) French before I go to Paris next summer. c) Rose and I ___ (play) tennis next Saturday afternoon. d) I don’t know what to do this evening. I think I ___ (stay) at home. I’m quite tired. e) Sue and Rory have decided what present to get their brother for his birthday. They ___ (buy) him a mobile phone. f) I’m sorry. I can’t come out tonight because I ___ (go) to the cinema with Katy. 3) Answer the questions about yourself. Then ask other students in your class. 1) What are you doing this weekend? 2) What are your plans for the summer? 3) What are you planning to do when you finish school?
4) What is going to happen? Make predictions based on the situations. e) You look up and realize the sky is full of large black clouds. f) You see a man dancing and jumping on top of a ladder. g) A young lady dressed in white and a gentleman wearing a morning suit are walking on a long red carpet inside a church. h) Three people are sitting at an empty table in a restaurant. One of them is calling the waiter. 5) What will happen to you in the future? Make predictions based on your personal opinion. k) get married l) have a lot of children m) be famous n) travel around the world o) earn lots of money p) speak English fluently 6) Gary Star is very ambitious. He has already planned his whole life! Look at Gary’s plans. 2008-2011 study business, law and politics at Harvard University 2011-2016 work for a major multinational company 2016-2018 write a best-selling novel 2018-2023 travel around the world 2023-2030 make movies in Hollywood 2030-???? Live in the Caribbean a) What will he be doing in the years listed below? a) 2012 b) 2017 c) 2019
d) 2025 e) 2033
b) What will he have done by the years listed below? a) 2012 b) 2017 c) 2024 d) 2031
2.- GERUND vs INFINITIVE 1) Choose the correct form of the verb in brackets to complete the sentences. f) ____ (live) away from home is more exciting than living with your parents. g) Karen is worried about ___ (lose) her keys. h) Mark lives far from his home town. He really misses ___ (go out) with his friends. i) Personally, I prefer ___ (drink) tea to coffee. j) He’s not very good at ___ (swim). k) I’m interested in ___ (learn) about foreign cultures.
Put the words in the correct order to make sentences. a) My/wants/brother/go/home/to b) leave/parents/don’t/home/want/me/My/to c) doesn’t/Samantha/want/go/to/swimming d) Suzy/me/with/go/to/wants/her
Put the verbs in the correct column in the table. decide keep hope remember want afford don’t mind like can’t afford
Verb + infinitive decide
Verb + -ing
4) Complete the sentences with gerunds or infinitives. a) ___ (listen) to music can be relaxing. b) I think it’s important ___ (vote). c) Mark is very good at ___ (speak) in public). d) We aren’t used to ___ (get) up so early. e) The students don’t mind ___ (stay) late at school.
enjoy need stop
Verb + infinitive/-ing