Address: 630 Dartmouth Pl, Evanston, IL 60208 Phone: (847) 491-5613
Monday - Thursday: 8:30am-5pm / Friday: 10am-5pm Community Resource Guide : http://tinyurl.com/IOresourceguide
and welcome to the Northwestern Family! We hope that you are excited to begin your lives in Evanston, for however long you will call it home. We have compiled information we hope you will find helpful as you adjust to life in the U.S. and explore all of the opportunities in Evanston and the north shore neighborhoods of Chicago! This packet contains information that will be valuable for international students, scholars, and dependents alike, ranging from banks and schools, to shopping and restaurants. Chicago is one of the largest and most iconic cities in the U.S. There is plenty to explore, and we hope you have a memorable experiences throughout your time here. Welcome home!
International Food Stores and General Grocery Stores
- Market Place on Oakton : 4817 West Oakton Avenue, Skokie, http://www.marketplaceonoakton.com - Fresh Farms : 5740 W Touhy Avenue, Niles or 2626 Devon Avenue, West Rogers Park, http://www.myfreshfarms.com - World Market : 1725 Maple Avenue, Evanston, http://www.worldmarket.com - Dominicks grocery store: 2748 Green Bay Rd, Evanston - Jewel grocery store: 1128 Chicago Ave, Evanston - Food 4 Less: 2400 Main St, Evanston - Wholefoods:1640 Chicago Ave, Evanston or 1111 Chicago Ave, Evanston - Trader Joeâ€™s:1211 Chicago Ave, Evanston - Mitsuwa: 100 E Algonquin Road, Arlington Heights http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenpo/cica/eindex.html (largest Japanese Supermarket in the US) - HMart: 801 Civic Center Drive, Niles http://www.hmart.com/ Asian supermaket - La Unica: 1515 W Devon Avenue, Chicago - Morse Market:1430 W. Morse Avenue, Chicago - The Spice House: 1941 Central Street, Evanston http://www.thespicehouse.com- SPICES from around the world
ESL-English as a Second Language - Northwestern’s Norris center mini courses : http://www.norris.northwestern.edu/recreation/minicourses - Oakton community college ESL : http://www.oakton.edu/conted/find_classes/ESL/index.php
- CVS Pharmacy’s Minute Clinic : 3333 Central Street, Evanston http://www.minuteclinic.com Roger’s Park- 6510 N Sheridan Rd - Erie Evanston/Skokie Health Center : 2100 Ridge Avenue, located at the Evanston Civic Center http://www.eriefamilyhealth.org/locations/evanston-skokie
Furniture / Houseware / Cookware / Appliances
- Ikea:1800 McConnor Pkwy, Schaumburg http://www.ikea.com/us/en/store/schaumbur - Craiglist: online sales from person to person http:/chicago.craigslist.org - Bed, Bath, and Beyond: 3232 Lake Ave, Wilmette http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/default.asp - Affordable Portables: 924 Davis St, Evanston http://www.affordableportables.net - Target: 2209 W Howard St, Evanston http://www.target.com - Walmart Super Center: 8500 W. Golf Rd, Niles http://www.walmart.com - Village Discount Outlet : 4898 N. Clark St., Chicago - Brown Elephant : 5404 N. Clark St, Chicago http://www.brownelephant.com/
Daycare / Public School ASK FOR SCHOLARSHIPS WITH ANY EVANSTON COMMUNITY CENTER PROGRAM
- Pre-Kindergarten (daycare center/pre-school) http://www.mcgawymca.org/youth-teens/childrens-center/fullpart-day-preschool - Kindergarten to Grade 8 (District 65 Public Schools) http://tinyurl.com/l6c4dox - Work-Life Northwestern : http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/work-life/childcare/index.html - Childcare Network of Evanston - CNE : http://www.childcarenetworkofevanston.org - Bright Horizons Daycare : http://child-care-preschool.brighthorizons.com/il/evanston/ evanston
Transportation- car rental, NU shuttle, Illinois driverâ€™s licence
- NU Shuttle : http://www.northwestern.edu/uservices/transportation/shuttles/ - Dept of Motor Vehicles : 405 Lake Cook Road A6-9, Deerfield http://local.dmv.org/illinois/lake-county/deerfield/405-lake-cookroad/dmv-office-locations.php - Applying for an Illinois licence : http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/apply-license.php NOTE: some countries have driving reciprocity with Illinois, so always take your international license and passport to the DMV.
- Car rentals around Evanston: Budget 801 Chicago Ave, Evanston Enterprise 1810 Maple Ave, Evanston Hertz -1901 Green Bay Rd, Evanston - I-Go and Zipcar Car sharing http://www.northwestern.edu/uservices/transportation/commuter/ carsharing.html - Public transportation : CTA, METRA, PACE
Wildcard Benefits USE YOUR WILDCARD FOR DISCOUNTS AT LOCAL BUSINESSES http://www.northwestern.edu/uservices/wildcard/advantage_ discounts/a_to_z/index.html
Housing on and off campus http://tinyurl.com/myy95oz
YELP search engine for…. Haircut/beauty, restaurants, second hand/thrift stores, coffee shops, waxing, cell phones, groupon/living social, acupuncture, Chinese medicine, massage, gym/fitness
Evanston Community Centers
ASK FOR SCHOLARSHIPS WITH ANY EVANSTON COMMUNITY CENTER PROGRAM The City of Evanston’s Parks & Recreation Division provides a wide range of services that improve the quality of life for those who live, work or play in Evanston.
- The Chandler Newberger Community Center 1028 Central St., Evanston - The Robert Crown Community Center 1701 Main St., Evanston - The Fleetwood- Jourdain Community Center 1655 Foster St., Evanston - The Evanston Ecology Center 2024 N Mc Cormick Blvd., Evanston - The Noyes Cultural Art Center 927 Noyes St., Evanston
CCIS programs CCIS (The Community Council for International Students) is an allvolunteer group dedicated to making Northwestern University international students feel welcome in this country and at the University. We do this by offering a variety of social and informational programs.
Miscellaneous / things to know - Tipping: http://tinyurl.com/mg544ef - Beach tokens: http://tinyurl.com/m3w8lk6 - Gym/Fitness Center/Recreation Center: McGaw YMCA at 1000 Grove St, Evanston. http://www.mcgawymca.org/ for swim lessons, fitness center, adult and kids programming SPACC Northwesternâ€™s Sports and Fitness Center http://www.fitrec.northwestern.edu/ LA Fitness: 1618 Sherman Ave, Evanston https://www.lafitness.com/Pages/clubhome.aspx?clubid=342 - Evanston Public Library: 1703 Orrington Ave, Evanston http://www.epl.org/ for free book checkout, kids programming, community information board, and much, much, more ! - Evanton Police Department : 1454 Elmwood Ave, Evanston http://www.cityofevanston.org/police/reports/daily-crime-reports - US Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS): http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis - Social Security Office- 2116 Green Bay Rd, Evanston http://tinyurl.com/pmkoxd8
Arrival guide for international spouses and families at Northwestern University. Welcome!