Indoislamica art and rare books relating to South and Central Asia
Indoislamica.com An evolving on-line catalogue
Who we are Indoislamica consists of a group of experts in art and rare books relating to South Asia, Central Asia and the Middle East.
How we can help • • • •
With our global network of contacts, we are in an exceptional position to source rare material. We are happy to advise on and organise conservation work. We welcome dialogue with existing and potential clients and will readily supply images. We offer our advice and expertise to collectors.
Our philosophy As dealers in rare books and works on paper, Indoislamica has established a close working relationship with highly-skilled craftsmen, including paper conservators and binders. We believe in minimum and harmonious intervention, consistent with retaining as much of the original material as possible. Thus we ensure the highest quality results for private collectors and institutions, with our emphasis always being on excellence. We encourage understanding and appreciation of the cultural heritage of India, Central Asia and the Middle East. By engaging in cultural events and promoting academic discussion, we aim to build an international community of enthusiasts dedicated to culture, knowledge and art.
Our team Shahid Hosain is a former ambassador and Chairman of the Asia Pacific Group at UNESCO’s Executive Board. He was also a Member of the Governing Board of IRCICA (Organisation of the Islamic Conference Research Centre for Islamic History, Art and Culture) based in Istanbul. Yasmin Hosain has been an academic, translator and BBC broadcaster and was also an Associate of Newnham College, Cambridge. Simon Brandenburger was formerly Head of Bonhams Book Department and latterly ran the long-established print dealer Sanders of Oxford owned by the distinguished print collector, Hon. Christopher Lennox-Boyd. Christopher Sisserian studied history at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), specialising in the Middle East. Currently a graduate student of international politics, with particular reference to the Middle East.
Contact Simon Brandenburger · +44 (0) 20 7381 5391 Mobile/Cell: +44 (0)7879 814920 17 Anselm Road · London SW6 1LH · U.K. Email: email@example.com www.indoislamica.com
Contents 1. The first scientific exploration into ‘Indian Tibet’. 2. An extremely rare account of Kashmir and adjoining regions. 3. An exceptionally fine and large-scale Company School drawing of the Pearl Mosque(Moti Masjid), Agra Fort circa 1810-1820, from the Edmonstone Family Collection, Duntreath Castle, Scotland. 4. One of the great travel accounts of the 19th century. 5. Krishna (large format) by Maqbool Fida Husain (1915-2011). 6. A very good set of the first comprehensive gazetteer of India. 7. The definitive, pioneering documentation of Sind tilework. 8. Nanda Lal Bose. Paintings. 9. The Taje Mahel, at Agra from Oriental Scenery, (Part 1, plate 23), January 1797 by Thomas Daniell R.A. (1749-1840) and William Daniell (1769-1837) after the drawing by them. 10. The Jummah Musjed from Oriental Scenery (Part 1, plate 23), January 1797 by Thomas Daniell R.A. (1749-1840) and William Daniell (1769-1837) after the drawing by them. 11. A rare individually published print showing a scene from the War against Tippoo Sultan. 12. An exceptional group of four large-format gelatin silver prints of two Hindu princes in Mughal court dress. 13. An important climbing expedition to the Punjab Himalaya. 14. The History of the Late Revolution of the Empire of the Great Mogol by François Bernier. 15. The Embassy of Hyderbeck to Calcutta. From the Vizier of Oude, by way of Patna, in the year 1788 to meet Lord Cornwallis. 16. The Round Tower, Fort Hyderabad (Sindh) by Lieut. William Edwards. 17. The Installation on the Musnud of His Highness the Nabob of the Carnatic, 1842.
1. The first scientific exploration into ‘Indian Tibet’.
Francke, Dr. A.H. Antiquities of Indian Tibet. Part I: Personal Narrative.2: Part II: The Chronicles of Ladakh and Minor Chronicles. First edition. Calcutta 19141926. Part I: 88 gravure photographic illustrations on 44 plates, large folding route map of Dr. Francke’s journey in the Indo-Tibetan borderlands, 4 text illustrations. pp. xiv, 133, iv. Part II: 5 coloured folding maps of (i) Central Ladakh, Nubra and Eastern Zanskar; (ii) Lower Ladakh and Purig; Zanskar; (iii) Zanskar; (iv) Lahul; (v) Baltistan. pp. viii, 310. Original maroon cloth, maroon endpapers, lettered in gilt. Folio (2 volumes). The 2 volumes of this first edition were printed 12 years apart; sets are therefore rare, especially in good condition. Dr. August Hermann Francke (1870 –1930) was a missionary of the Moravian Church and a distinguished scholar of Tibetan studies. On his return to Germany, he was appointed Professor of Tibetan languages at the University of Berlin. In 1909, the Director-General of the Archaeological Survey of India, Dr J. H. Marshall (later Sir John), had asked Francke, then attached to the Moravian mission in the Ladakh and Lahul area, to enter the service of the Survey for an eighteen-month period and carry out the first scientific exploration into ‘Indian Tibet’. Francke’s knowledge of both the history and the art of the region made him the ideal expedition leader. The photographer, Babu Pindi Lal of the Archaeological Survey of India was given the adventurous and difficult task of accompanying Dr. Francke on his mission. Many of Babu Pindi Lal’s original photographs for the expedition are held in the Kern Institute, University of Leiden, Holland and the India Office Collections, British Library, London.
SOLD A rare printing.
2. An extremely rare account of Kashmir and adjoining regions.
Leitner, G.W. The Languages and Races of Dardistan. First edition, London 1876. Three parts in one volume. Frontispiece with signed photographic portrait, inserted addendum slip, one full-page mounted photographic plate of a ‘Group of Dards’, 3 mounted photographs on one page showing Greco-Buddhist (Gandharan) sculptures excavated at Takht-I-Bahi on the Panjab (North-West Frontier), 15 engraved text illustrations on 7 pages, and 4 folding maps in pocket, one printed in colour, the rest handcoloured in outline, and another not called for in index. The four maps are by E.G. Ravenstein; one is ‘A Native Map of the country between Peshawar and the Oxus, translated by Dr. G.W. Leitner, 1875’. Title uniformly browned and spotted, occasional light spotting, marginal stain affecting corner of one photographic plate. Original maroon cloth, lettered in gilt. pp. 8, iv, 37, vii, 51, (ii), iii, 109, ii, 4, (ii – Official and other acknowledgements of the success of Dr. Leitner’s Linguistic Mission to Kashmir and Chilas). Folio. One of only 100 copies of this first edition, signed by Dr. Leitner. An exceptionally rare account of Kashmir and adjoining regions, it contains an account of Leitner’s journey from Lahore in 1866 through Kangra, Mandi, Lahul, Zanskar, Ladakh and Kashmir. His findings include a comparative grammar and vocabulary and records of legends, fables, customs and religion. Gottleib William Leitner (1841-1899), one of the greatest linguists of the Victorian age, was appointed Professor of Arabic at King’s College, London at the age of 21. He was the founding Principal of Government College, Lahore. As the Asiatic Quarterly Review observed in its obituary notice in 1899 ‘to him was due the movement on behalf of the Panjab University, its foundation, organization and its successful working from 1865 to 1884’. £6,500 Exceptionally rare.
3. An exceptionally fine and large-scale Company School drawing of the Pearl Mosque (Moti Masjid), Agra Fort circa 1810 –1820, from the Edmonstone Family Collection, Duntreath Castle, Scotland.
Opaque watercolour with ink and gold detail, black ruled borders, on paper watermarked ‘J WHATMAN 1804’. Agra, India circa 1810-1820. Inscription to bottom right in a contemporary hand ‘Mootee Musjid’. Dimensions: 21.5 ins. height, 29.7 ins width. A work of comparable size and quality showing the same prospect of the Pearl Mosque is in the British Library, (Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections). This was presented to the East India Company by John Bax Esq., Bombay Civil Service, 9 September, 1824 and possibly purchased when he was in Delhi or Agra some time in 1821 or 1822. (Add.Or.1796. Item no. 1796). The Pearl Mosque or Moti Masjid The Pearl Mosque or Moti Masjid, built by Shah Jahan, stands on ground that slopes from east to west to the north of the Diwan-i-Am complex in Agra Fort. The mosque was built at the highest point within the Agra Fort between 1648 and 1655 during the reign of Shah Jahan (r. 1628-1658). Built principally as a military establishment by Akbar in 1565, the red sandstone fort at Agra was partially converted into a palace during Shah Jahan’s reign. The view is of the main courtyard of the Pearl Mosque with its arcaded marble side cloisters. The arched recessions are punctuated on the north and south sides by two gate-ways, each surmounted by three kiosks. In the centre of the courtyard is a square tank with the main sanctuary facade lying beyond. The sanctuary iself is surmounted by three elegant marble domes, resting on an aisle of seven saracenic arches. Over the centre of each arch is a kiosk. Each dome is contoured and rises from the roof in the form of a flower-bud on the point of unfolding. In each corner of the sanctuary are octagonal towers crowned by a marble cupola. Company School Drawings The myth of the ‘Great Mogul’ and his glittering palaces had fascinated the British from the earliest days of the East India Company. However, it was not until the Third Maratha War in 1803 that they occupied Delhi. Viewing the monuments became a fashionable pursuit. Picnics were arranged specifically to see them and the British wandered amongst the
broken masonry as though they were in Rome. In this environment, demand for representations grew. Many of the British were amateur artists and could make sketches for themselves, but the intricacy of Mughal architecture was difficult for them to record accurately. This problem was easily resolved – Delhi and Agra, throughout the Mughal period, had been great centres of painting under the patronage of successive emperors. So it was not difficult to find skilled artists to record Mughal monuments. By about 1808, large architectural drawings became available which were clearly influenced by British taste. The traditional medium of gouache was replaced by pen-and-ink and watercolour, executed on large sheets of Whatman paper, in soft washes of cream, buff, grey and pink with touches of gold, green, red or blue within a black ruled border. These large-scale drawings were produced in small numbers for wealthy East India Company officials. Most are now in permanent collections. The appeal for this genre declined from about 1815. The earlier demand by wealthy East India Company officials for large-scale architectural drawing was replaced by the dictates of a market for more economically produced versions on smaller sheets of paper and of uniform size. The subjects were repeated over and over again and the small variations which had given character and liveliness to the earlier drawings disappeared. The content of the above three paragraphs has been drawn from Mildred Archer’s, Company Drawings in the India Office Library, London 1972. pp. 166-169. Provenance The Edmonstone Family Collection, Duntreath Castle, Scotland. Four generations of the Edmonstone family have been associated with the East India Company and the Indian Civil Service. Notable among these were Neil Benjamin Edmonstone (1765-1841), fifth son of Sir Archibald Edmonstone of Duntreath who was, from 1798, private secretary to the new Governor-General, Lord Mornington (afterwards Marquess Wellesley). ‘On 1 January 1801 he was appointed Secretary to the government of India in
the Secret, Political, and Foreign Department, and he played as important a part in forming the plans which were to crush the Maráthás as he had done in the war against Tippoo Sultan’, Sir John Kaye, Lives of Indian Officers Illustrative of the Civil and Military Services of India, London 1867. He continued to exercise significant influence over the formation and implementation of policy towards the native states under successive Governor-Generals including Lord Cornwallis and Lord Minto. In 1820, he was elected to the Court of Directors of the East India Company, and continued in this capacity until his death. Neil Benjamin’s fourth son, (later Sir) George Frederick Edmonstone, born in 1813, followed his father into the Indian Civil Service and became Foreign Secretary to the Government of India in 1855 and again during the ‘Indian Mutiny’. He was made Lieutenant-Governor of the North-Western Provinces in 1859, retiring in 1863. SOLD
4. One of the great travel accounts of the 19th century.
Pottinger, Lieutenant Henry. Travels in Beloochistan and Sinde; accompanied by a Geograhical and Historical Account of Those Countries, with a map. First edition, London 1816. Hand-coloured frontispiece and a very large engraved folding map. Modern half-calf, spine gilt. pp. xxx, 423. 4to. One of the greatest Central and South Asian travel accounts of the 19th century. Pottinger and Captain Christie travelled through regions which are, once again, some of the most turbulent and strategically important in the world. His account is divided into two parts: ‘Part the First: Narrative of a Journey through Beloochistan, and a Part of Persia, partly performed in the Disguise of a Musulman pilgrim’. ‘Part the Second: A Short Historical Memoir of the Countries Explored during a Tour through Beloochistan and a Part of Persia. To which is Added, a Summary Account of the Province of Sinde, and the Proceedings of the Mission to its Rulers in 1809’. Peter Hopkirk, in his book The Great Game, London 1990, observes: ‘Pottinger was to write an account of their adventures which thrilled readers at home, and which is today still sought after by collectors of rare and important books of exploration’. £3,500
5. Krishna (large format) by Maqbool Fida Husain (1915–2011).
Lithograph on paper 27.5 x 39 ins. Artist’s proof, signed in pencil by M.F. Husain. Maqbool Fida Husain (M.F. Husain) arguably India’s greatest post-independence artist was born in Maharashtra in 1915. He briefly studied at the Indore Art College before moving to Mumbai (Bombay) where he supported himself by painting cinema hoardings. In 1947 he became a founder member of the Progressive Artists’ Group with Krishen Khanna, Tyeb Mehta, Vasudeo Gaitonde and Francis Newton Souza among others. M.F. Husain exhibited extensively – at the Royal Academy of Arts, London, the Hirschhorn Museum, New York, the Tate Gallery, London, the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem Massachusetts etc. He was the subject of numerous monographs including Husain, Harry Abrams, New York 1971, the first international book on a living Indian artist. Among his many awards and honours were the Gold Bear for his film Through the Eyes of a Painter at the 1967 Berlinale and importantly the Padma Shri and the Padma Bhushan from the Indian government. £3,500
6. A very good set of the first comprehensive gazetteer of India.
Thornton, Edward. A Gazetteer of the Territories under the Government of the East India Company, and of the Native States on the Continent of India. ‘Compiled by the Authority of the Hon. Court of Directors and chiefly from Documents in their Possession’. Volume I: ABO – COE. Volume II: COG – JYT. Volume III: KAB – OOG. Volume IV: OOJ – ZYN. First edition, London 1854. Engraved folding map by John Walker, hand-coloured in outline. Pages uncut, unpaginated. (Each volume 700 pages approximately). Original cloth, some light spotting but a very good, tight set, unopened and unused. 8vo (4 volumes). The first comprehensive gazetteer of India. Edward Thornton was head of the Statistical Department of East India House, and a pioneer in the systematic collection and publication of Indian statistics. He had earlier published in 1844, A Gazetteer of the Countries adjacent to India on the North-West. £2,250 A very good, tight set in original publisher’s cloth.
7. The definitive, pioneering documentation of Sind tilework. A rare work.
Cousens, Henry. Portfolio of Illustrations of Sind Tiles. [London] 1906. pp. , 50 fine chromo-lithographed plates (21.5 x 14.5 ins)., all but one in colour, 2 laid down, plate 40 supplied in facsimile, housed in original portfolio decorated and lettered in gilt with later cloth ties. Large folio. ‘Issued by the Government of India; Photo-Chromo-Lithographed by W. Griggs and Sons, Chromo-Lithographers to the King, 1906’. The definitive pioneering documentation of Sind tilework. Henry Cousens (1854-1933), Superintendent of the Archaological Survey of India, also wrote the major study The Antiquities of Sind (1929). The tiles illustrated are from the Great Mosque at Thatta, now a UNESCO World Heritage site, the Talpur Tombs in Hyderabad, and Abul Baki Purani’s mosque in Sukkur. £1,950 A rare work in its original portfolio.
8. Nanda Lal Bose. Paintings.
Title page, Santiniketan / Nandan / Birbhum/Bengal. Verso of title page ‘Published by Biswarup Bose / Nandan / Santiniketan’. Folio (14.8 x 11ins.), grained effect card wrappers, upper wrapper lettered ‘Nanda Lal Bose/Paintings/ Nandan / Santiniketan’ with tipped-in plate, title page with tipped-in plate, hand-made paper, 4 p.p. text with reviews of Bose’s work from various publications, list of plates with alterations tipped-in, 22 plates (some colour) each tipped-in on a separate leaf. Tipped-in typed note ‘With love and affection from Nandalal Bose’. The latest review is dated December 1942. This indicates a publication date somewhere between 1942 and that of the Dartington Hall inscription in 1950. Cancelled library stamp of Dartington Hall Library on front free endpaper. A few short pencilled library notes on front free end-paper and title page. The Dartington Hall Foundation (based on the Dartington Estate in South Devon, U.K.), was established by Leonard and Dorothy Elmhurst in 1925. It was inspired by their close friend Rabindranath Tagore’s progressive ideas on education and rural revival at Shantiniketan. Indeed Tagore visited his friends, the Elmhursts at Dartington twice. We have been unable to trace a copy of this exceptionally rare work in any public institution. £1,750
9. The Taje Mahel, at Agra from Oriental Scenery, (Part 1, plate 18), July 1796 by Thomas Daniell R.A. (1749 –1840) and William Daniell (1769 –1837) after the drawing by them.
Oriental Scenery, drawn, engraved and published by Thomas and William Daniell, Howland Street, Fitzroy Square, London 1795 -1808. Hand-coloured aquatint on thick Whatman wove paper with platemark and wide margins. 21.3 x 29.1 ins. overall. A superb example of perhaps the finest plate from Oriental Scenery with wide margins and rich, unfaded hand-colour. 21 January 1789. ‘Crossed the Jumna abt. 7 o.C. … visited the inside of the Tage & very much struck with its Magnificent Workmanship’. Later, Thomas Daniell was to publish Views of the Taje Mahal at the City of Agra in Hindoostan taken in 1789 and would write in its introductory leaflet ‘the first example of Mahomeddan architecture in India … beheld with no less wonder by those who have seen the productions of art in various parts of the globe’. The Taj Mahal was erected by the Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan, as a mausoleum for his much loved wife, known as Mumtaz Mahal, who died in 1629. Abbey Travel 420 no. 19. J.R. Abbey, Travel in Aquatint and Lithography 1770-1860 from the library of J.R. Abbey: a bibliographical catalogue. London 1957. Archer I plate 18. M. Archer, Early Views of India: The Picturesque Journeys of Thomas and William Daniell 1786-1794. London 1980. SOLD
10. The Jummah Musjed from Oriental Scenery (Part 1, plate 23), January 1797 by Thomas Daniell R.A. (1749–1840) and William Daniell (1769–1837) after the drawing by them.
Oriental Scenery, drawn, engraved and published by Thomas and William Daniell, Howland Street, Fitzroy Square, London 1795-1808. Hand-coloured aquatint on thick Whatman wove paper with platemark and wide margins. 21.3 x 29.1 ins. overall. A superb example of one of the finest plates from Oriental Scenery with wide margins and rich, unfaded hand-colour. 18 February 1789. ‘We breakfasted very early & spent the Day at the Jummaigh Musjiid, built by Shah Jehan’. The Jama Masjid, the largest mosque in India, was built between 1644 and 1658, as one of the principal monuments of Delhi, the new capital of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan, established in 1638. Abbey Travel 420 no. 24. J.R. Abbey, Travel in Aquatint and Lithography 1770-1860 from the library of J.R. Abbey: a bibliographical catalogue. London 1957. Archer I plate 23. M. Archer, Early Views of India: The Picturesque Journeys of Thomas and William Daniell 1786-1794. London 1980. SOLD
11. A rare individually published print showing a scene from the War against Tippoo Sultan.
The Head of the Advanced Guard of the Mahratta Army, coming to join Lord Cornwallis, near Seringapatam, May 28th 1791. Individually published engraving with original handcolour, platemark and wide margins. Inscribed within platemark ‘Published by J Rennell, March 30th 1792’. 15.5 x 24 ins. overall. A scene from the War of the ‘Triple Alliance’ (Third Mysore War) against Tippoo Sultan. The ‘Triple Alliance’ comprised the British aided by their treaty allies, the Mahrattas and the Nizam of Hyderabad. Hostilities were concluded with the Treaty of Seringapatam on 18 March, 1792. The publisher is the geographer James Rennell (17421830), a Major in the East India Company’s service. In 1794 he was appointed surveyor-general for the East India Company’s dominions in Bengal, and retired from active service in 1777, having been engaged on the survey for thirteen years. The government of Warren Hastings granted him a pension, which the East India Company somewhat tardily confirmed. The remainder of Rennell’s long life was devoted to the study of geography. His Bengal Atlas was published in 1779, and was a work of the greatest importance for strategic and administrative purposes. He was elected a fellow of the Royal Society in 1781, and took up residence in Suffolk Street, near Portland Place, where his house became a place of meeting for travellers from all parts of the world. His second great work was the first approximately correct map of India. £2,500 A charming and rare scene from ‘Tippoo’s War’.
12. An exceptional group of four largeformat gelatin silver prints of two Hindu princes in Mughal court dress. Two are portraits of Maharawal Shri Pratap Sinhji and two his second son, the Rajkumar Pravin (or Prabin) Sinhji.
In these images, both subjects wear full Mughal court dress. It is thought they were taken in the Digvir Niwas Palace on the occasion of the Maharaja’s silver jubilee. We infer this is because there are family groups which include these same individuals, taken in that interior. Four large-format gelatine silver prints with rich tonal contrast each portrait 13.5 x 10 ins. Two very small tears at the edge of two prints.
the maharaja’s silver jubilee. The King Edward VII coronation medal and the Delhi Durbar.
Maharawal Pratap Sinhji 1864 –1911
The medal would have been presented in 1903, two years after the death of Queen Victoria, at the Delhi Durbar, an extravagant pageant held to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII and his wife, Queen Alexandra, as Emperor and Empress of India.
Maharawal Pratap Sinhji ascended the throne of Bansda in 1876 when he was eleven. He was educated at the Rajkumar College, Rajkot; subsequently the British authorities granted him permission to become Joint Administrator of the state. In 1885 he was given independent charge of the state and directed much of his attention to his family’s claim on the region of Bisanpur. He introduced tax reforms, a banking system, provision of generous public charity during the famine of 1890, and invested in roads, hospitals, libraries and schools. A major event of his reign was the second Delhi Durbar in 1903, which he attended with his heir apparent, Kumar Shri Indrasinhji. He had four sons. His silver jubilee was celebrated in 1911 probably the date of the portraits. He died shortly afterwards and was succeeded by his eldest son, Yuvaraj Shri Indra Sinhji. Dress The Rajput kings, though Hindu, dressed in the formal style of the Mughal Court. Since the reign of Shah Jahan in the 17th century the main elements of Mughal costume have been the coat, turban and dress. Both the Maharaja and the Rajkumar wear a jama, or sarab gati, a heavy, long sleaved coat which reaches below the knees. Here it is decorated with a gold brocade (kashida) sash. The coat is decorated with floral gold brocade patterns around the sleeves, the chest, and also on the sides of the arms, a style typical of Gujarat. In his seated portrait the Maharaja wears a brocaded kamarband around his waist. Both sitters hold a sword and a shal, or shawl of fine cloth, further symbols of their wealth and status. The Rajkumar wears lavishly decorated slippers. The occasion for these formal portraits may have been
Although Maharawal Pratap Sinhji’s attire signals his status in a traditionally Indian way, his authority, and status endorsed by the British authorities is underlined by the medal he wears on his chest – the King Edward VII coronation medal.
£4,500 A rare large-format group of four gelatin silver prints of two Hindu princes in Mughal court dress.
13. An Important Climbing Expedition to the Punjab Himalaya.
Workman, Fanny Bullock and William Hunter Workman. Peaks and Glaciers of Nun Kun. A Record of Pioneering Exploration and Mountaineering in the Punjab Himalaya. First edition, London 1909. Colour frontispiece, 91 sepia and other gravure plates including 4 double-page panoramas. (The panoramas printed in Germany from photographs taken by the authors). Large coloured folding map made by Dr. W. Hunter Workman from actual observation. Original pictorial cloth, top edges gilt. pp. xv, 204, one page publisher’s advertisement. Royal 8vo. Kenneth Mason, Superintendent, Survey of India and Professor of Geography at the University of Oxford records in his book The Abode of Snow, London 1955, that many books published by the Workmans on their travels in the Karokoram mountains and the Punjab Himalaya ‘are still useful, particularly for their fine illustrations’. £950 A very good, bright copy of a well-known mountaineering work.
14. The History of the Late Revolution of the Empire of the Great Mogol by François Bernier. First edition. Published by Moses Pitt, London 1671. Contemporary calf with maroon title-label, placed in a book-box with maroon title-label, lettered in gilt. pp. (xvi), 258, (ii-title-page), 176, 102 (‘A Letter to the Lord Colbert’), iv (publisher’s advertisement and Whitehall permission to publish the continuation of Monsieur Bernier’s memoir); (with): A Continuation of the Memoires of Monsieur Bernier, Tome III and IV (1672). pp. 173, 178. (with): A Letter sent from Chinas in Persia. pp. 39, (i). Engraved folding map. 8vo. Bookplate and stamp ‘Earl of Ellenborough’s Heirlooms, Book no. 1113’. Light browning but a good, tight copy of this great work of travel and research with a fine provenance. During the seventeenth century, as a result of growing European commercial interests in South and SouthEast Asia, the acquisition of knowledge about that continent became ever more important to a domestic audience. In this regard, the French physician, philosopher and traveller, François Bernier (1620-1688) played a particularly significant role. Bernier’s arrival at the Indian port city of Surat in early 1659, marked the beginning of his eight-year long adventures in and around the Taimurid / Mughal Empire, returning to Marseilles and later Paris in 1669. £2,250
15. The Embassy of Hyderbeck to Calcutta. From the Vizier of Oude, by way of Patna, in the year 1788 to meet Lord Cornwallis. (see note)
Engraved by Richard Earlom (1743-1822), after Johann Zoffany, R.A. Mezzotint on laid paper with thread margins, 27 x 21 ins. Published by Robert Laurie & James Whittle, 12th July 1800, No. 53 Fleet Street, London. A very fine early impression in a late nineteenth century giltwood and plaster frame with its original glass – a remarkable survival. Together with the rare separately published key plate dated 12th July, 1800 (14.2 x 11ins). Johan Zoffany (1733–1810) was born near Frankfurt, training as an artist in Germany and Italy. In 1760 Zoffany moved to London, where he adapted brilliantly to the artistic environment and patterns of patronage. Zoffany travelled to India in 1783, lured by the possibility of commissions from Indian rulers and wealthy members of the East India Company. He arrived in Calcutta later that year and was rapidly accepted into Society by prominent British families, painting many of their portraits, including that of the Governor-General, Warren Hastings. Note: ceremonial and diplomatic processions were a conventional show of homage to the power of great rulers. Zoffany had encountered Hyderbeck on the road to Calcutta, bearing gifts from Oudh for the newly arrived Governor-General, Charles Cornwallis. £9,750
16. The Round Tower, Fort Hyderabad (Sindh) by Lieut. William Edwards.
From Sketches in Scinde lithographed by Charles Haghe and published by Henry Graves & Co., London 1846. Hand-coloured lithograph heightened with gum arabic, from the deluxe edition mounted on card. 21.6 x 16.1 ins. overall. A fine plate from the very scarce deluxe edition. Lieutenant Edwards’ Sketches in Scinde, which were published in an album in 1846, are the only series of folio size plates by a British military artist devoted exclusively to Sindh. They were produced at a critical point in the history of Sindh, after its invasion and annexation in 1843. The artist was at the centre of events as a young officer of the 86th or Royal County Down Regiment, having been appointed aide-de-camp to General Sir Charles Napier, the conqueror and subsequent administrator of Sindh. Edwards’ remarkable work was one of the high points in the visual recording of Sindh, and falls within the context of a history of illustration by young military officers begun in the early decades of the nineteenth century. Abbey Travel 469 no. 4. J.R. Abbey, Travel in Aquatint and Lithography 1770-1860 from the library of J.R. Abbey: a bibliographical catalogue. London 1957. £1,900
17. The Installation on the Musnud of His Highness the Nabob of the Carnatic, 1842.
Engraved by Frederick Christian Lewis Senior (17791856) and Charles George Lewis (1808-1880) after the painting by Frederick Christian Lewis (1813-1875). Mezzotint over etched outline, heightened with gum arabic. Sheet size 28.9 x 39.7 ins. Platemark and wide untrimmed margins (a few small marginal tears and slight loss). Lettered below ‘Published for the proprietor by F.C. Lewis Senior, 53 Charlotte Street, Portland Place, London. Painted by F.C. Lewis at Madras 1842. PROOF. Engraved by F.C. Lewis Senior Engraver to the Queen etc. etc. and to C.G. Lewis. Printed by Brooker & Harrison’. Published London, 1845. Dedicated by Permission to the Honourable Court Of Directors. The first appearance on the market for a generation of this rare and splendid print. Shortly after F.C. Lewis Junior arrived at Madras (Chennai) he was commissioned by the Nabob (or Nawab) to paint the installation ceremony, which took place at the Chepauk Palace on 25 August 1842. Lewis was paid Rs 5,515 for his work, and the painting is now in the Fort Museum. The figures depicted are identified in a possibly unique engraved keyplate titled ‘Key plate to Mr F. C. Lewis’s picture now engraving of the installation of his Highness the Nabob of the Carnatic at Madras’ in the British Library Asia Pacific & Africa Collections (formerly Oriental and India Office Collections). The principal Indian and English figures are seated to left and right of the Nabob who is seated on the Musnud. Among the high ranking officials depicted, from all departments of the colonial administration, are Lord Elphinstone, Governor of Madras, General Sir Robert Clark, Commander-in-Chief, Sir Edward Gambier, Chief Justice, members of the judicial bench, the Board of Revenue, gentleman agents and residents, and local Indian princes and potentates. The keyplate identifies most of the sitters and notes that those not identified were members of the Nabob’s retinue and Durbar. C.G. and F.C. Lewis Junior were the second and third sons respectively of F.C. Lewis Senior. SOLD