To, The Concern Person I am architect Imrul Kayes, completed under graduate program from BRAC University, Bangladesh including professional internship from senior most architect Bashirul Haq & Associates Ltd in 2008. As an architect by profession, I was involved , project based with various initiatives Lead by BRAC such as housing reconstruction in SIDR-affected areas; Improved design and construction of rural housing in Costal area; Extension of an Aga Khan Award winning handmade Mud school etc. including various research like livelihood of Urban grey space, Appropriate construction module for migrant communities; Toward a Multi-Sector Initiative in the Urban Slums around Bangladesh; Housing of the Ultra Poor: a dynamic vernacular; etc. and later in 2009, I enthusiastically took the opportunity to work as the local chapter leader & architect of record for Architecture for Humanity a USA based non-profit provided design & built service on the field of built environment to the communities in need until 2015. During this period , I was involved with different design and Building prototype & pilot projects into verity of sector such as Community Centre & orphanage with school facilities for rural community; prefabricated, retractable modular classroom for slum education facilities; Improved single family residence for low income communities; water treatment plant with production module for river side & coastal communities; low-cost, energy-efficient mobile tea stall for micro-entrepreneur of urban informal sector; Revitalization of urban grey space for migrant communities; etc. later in 2016 I involved with a professional architectural consultancy firm where I lead several interior design & build project assigned by principal architect beside Developing design module and demonstrate two JITA Social business Centre for Rural women entrepreneurs initiated by JITA a CARE International & Danone social venture which will later implemented into 32 districts around Bangladesh. During this 8 years period, my experience of leading a multi-functional team to managed multiple simultaneous projects from the conceptual design stage through final construction to post evaluation help me develop a depth knowledge on project planning, designing, scheduling, implementation, recruiting, monitoring, periodic reporting & documenting, while ensuring various complies & policies of oversees headquarter, donor agencies and local requirement. My experience also helps me develop and ensure a good communication skill not only among senior management, foreign donors, and client but also with the construction team and various engineering disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, structural, geotechnical etc. to derive optimize design and engineering solutions for various buildings and infrastructure projects. I believe in better understanding of problem solving with the help of appropriate technology and alternative use of material sensitive to climate & culture that is energy efficient and cost effective using participatory process within both my team, the local community and other stakeholder. Therefore, I would like to have this opportunity to putting my knowledge and previous experience of managing and leading the development of complete design drawings from schematic design through construction documents, into good use through my work into your company. Thank you for your time spent reading this letter and the enclosed portfolio. I look forward to hearing from you soon. With Regards Architect Md. Imrul Kayes Mobile no: +44(0)7576 582376 E-mail: email@example.com Online Portfolio: Design & Build
Name: MD. Imrul Kayes Personal Information:
Date of birth: 02.10.82 Present Residence: 4D, Stonor Place, Headington, OX3 7QD, Oxford, UK. Phone : +44(0)75756 582376(m) Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Citizenship: Bangladeshi. Marital Statues : Married Career Summary:
Eight years’ experience of leading a multi-functional team to managed multiple simultaneous projects ranging in cost USD $10,000-$317,000 from the conceptual design stage through final construction to post evaluation helps me develop a depth knowledge on project planning, designing, detailing, scheduling, implementation, recruiting, monitoring, periodic reporting & documenting, while ensuring various complies & policies of overseas headquarter, foreign donors & local requirement Educational Information :
• Bachelor of Architecture: BRAC University, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2009)-CGPA-3.41(1st class) with major in Architecture. • ECTS credits 12: Architectural Design, University of Linz, Austria (2008) - grade A • ECTS credits 3: Research & practice, University of Linz, Austria (2008)- grade A • Higher Secondary Certificate: RAJUK Uttara Model School and College, Dhaka, Bangladesh (1999)-1st Class (68.8%) with Major in Science • Secondary School Certificate: RAJUK Uttara Model School and College, Dhaka, Bangladesh (1997) - 1st Class (81.1%) with Major in Science Awards:
• • • • • • •
Finalist -International Competition “SXSW Eco-Place by design award 2014” Honourable mention -International competition “Open Architecture Challenge 2009” Winners of “World Architecture Community Award 1st Circle”, 2008. Prize winners of “AR Awards for Emerging Architecture”, 2008. First Place: Protivaban (Talent search) design competition, 2007 (National level). Special Commendation: Hatil furniture design competition, 2006. Honourable mention: Design Charete, BRAC University, 2004.
Professional expertise and skills: • Traditional construction technique of Mud, Bamboo and wooden structure. • Steel structure design and fabrication. • Photography, Analytical ability and observational power. • Documentation and preparing various periodic reports. • Program coordination, Project management and develop implementation plan. • Audiovisual presentation including Drawing and 3d rendering • Enthusiasm and cross-cultural sensibility • Renewable energy and its implication. • International relation & online communication. • Leadership and Capacity building. • Able to work independently and willing to assist co-workers. Computer skill: • AUTOCAD-2012, 3DStudio Max, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Sketch-up, Microsoft Office. Mid level of hardware management. Language skill • Bengali: Fluent in reading writing and speaking • English: Fluent in reading writing and speaking.
Workshop, Conference & Training program: - Panelist on architecture practice & education in Bangladesh (architectural discourse series between Senior & young practicing architect by Mongolbarer Shova. Dhaka.2015 - Panelist on Art and Architecture for children at world Children's festival of art & theater by international Armature Theater in Lingen, Germany 2014. - Panelist on sustainable architecture at Architecture for Humanity Global Chapter Forum San Francisco USA 2012. - Conduct workshop on sustainable humanitarian design development for AFH Chapter leaders from around the globe at Autodesk gallery San Francisco USA .in 2012 - Participate as a resource person on behalf of AFH-Dhaka, Bangladesh: Support and facilitate the workshop on Environment Development for Low Cost Sustainable Housing and Tree plantation. Organize by SAFE a local Ngo and H & Hazard group UK. - Construction documentation and organising team member: ‘Hands-on workshop on Modern Earthen Structure & Architecture “from 17th feb-26th Feb. 2009. Trainer Martin Rauch (European Mud Expert) and Anna Heringer (Director of Base Habitat). One Rammed Earth Building (Information Centre for HBRI) results of this hand on workshop. - Assist in data collection; write-up preparation, photography and necessary translation for EWB-USA and ARUP Engineer, Joshua B Sperling an intern of BRAC disaster management program for the period of 20th may to 20th June 2008. - Assistant facilitator and photographer: Participatory workshop on improved design and construction of rural housing in Noakhali for 2 days. - Assistant facilitator and photographer: Participatory workshop on building safer houses in SIDR affected areas for 4 days. - Participated in: ‘Hands-on Rural Architecture Workshop’ from 16th Sep - 16th Dec. 2007 with a group of students from Linz University, Austria and from BRAC University. Relevant Post and Services: Customer Assistant Marks and Spencer Oxford Store (Full time ): April 2018-Present Project Architect Chinton Architects ltd (Full time): (June 2016-Feb 2018)
• Managed and led the development of complete design drawings and coordinated between other team member from schematic design through construction documents. • Worked in a team and led several projects from the conceptual design stage through final construction including planning, coordination, scheduling, designing, development and implementation of projects assigned by principle architect. • Prepared field reports & progress reports, activity reports & relevant financial & procurement documents & delivered in a standard format to Chinton architects ltd. • Coordinated activities for several projects to maintain relationship among principal architect, client group, construction management team and contractors. • Worked on several other design proposals and drawing task assigned by principal architect. Chapter Leader & Project architect Architecture for Humanity Inc (full time): (Feb 2009- March 2015)
• Worked as an architect of record & coordinated design team through a participatory process to develop and deliver all necessary document from conceptual stage to construction document and ensure that all requirement of parties was met including end user and local building, planning & safety regulations. • Represented AFH-HQ as a local chapter leader into various public private bodies, seminar workshop and suggested policies to HQ Board of Directors for chapter’s strategic development during global chapter forum.
• Provided necessary support to HQ & Funding partner to prepare program budget, developed implementation plan, recruitment process and prepare legal contract among parties, inform & ensure that project obtained all local institutional approval as required. • Ensured all project activities complied with the policies and regulations of AFH-HQ and donor organizations as specified in agreements and identifying, monitoring the whole process and responding to risks factor as required meeting project’s objectives, schedule, cost & quality. • Collected field report & progress reports, activity reports & relevant financial & procurement documents to compile & deliver in a standard format to HQ & Funding partner. • Coordinated all activities to maintain relationship among HQ management, funding partner, construction management team, construction team members. • Managed and led the development of complete design drawings and coordination from schematic design through construction documents. • Directed planning, coordination, scheduling, designing, development, execution of projects, leading each assignment from the conceptual design stage through final construction. Senior Research Associate BRAC University & BRAC Development Institute (BDI) (Contractual) (Dec 2009- March 2010) (Building capacities: Towards multi sector initiative in Urban Slum around Bangladesh)
• • • • •
Conducted detail physical survey of urban slums in various districts around Bangladesh. Detail study on present infrastructure in relation with various income group. Identified local plantation and prepared existing landscape layout. Identified space requirement including zoning and function. Created physical map of existing slum layout. • Made recommendation for future development and implementation. Assistant Architect BRAC University and BRAC Disaster management group (Project based) (Jan-2008- Dec-2009)
• Assisted project architect during various project to conduct baseline survey, develop design & construction document, analyze and reporting. • Assisted facilitating participatory workshop & process documentation. • Conducted site visit to control quality, ensure following design guideline & details. • Assisted preparing period report and audio-visual documentation. • Assisted empowering community involvements and capacity building. • Worked hands-on construction of prototype demonstration following participatory process. Professional Internship Bashirul Haq and Associates Ltd : (June 2007- Sept.2007)
• Studied design and construction drawing of different projects designed by architect Bashirul Haq and prepared a write up on critical view with analytical info graphic. • Studied various cyclone shelter designed by Bashirul Haq including technical details of various construction types. • Studied and prepared an analytical study report on technical construction details of brick and concrete work. Other Social and civic activities: • • • • •
Member of Alumni Association of BRAC University. Associate Member of Institute of Architects Bangladesh(IAB) Member of Bangladesh Renewable Energy Society. Member, Engineers without Boarder, EWB-International Member Open Architecture Collaborative, OAC-International.