Issuu on Google+

Welcome to Southampton A guide for new students 2009/10

Contents Enrolment


Your ID card


Our campuses


A place to live


Getting around


Students’ Union


Creativity on campus


Sport and recreation


Supporting you


Religion – a place for every faith


Your health


Financial support


Student loans and grants


What it costs


International students




Learning resources




This brochure is prepared in advance of the academic year and the information should be used as a guide only. The University makes every effort to check the accuracy of the factual content but some changes may occur between publication and the start of the academic year. You should contact the relevant Academic School for up-to-date information about fees, programme content and entry requirements.

Welcome to the University of Southampton – a world-leading research institution renowned for high-quality teaching underpinned by cutting-edge research. With 22,000 students and 5,000 staff based across six campuses in Southampton and Winchester, the University has a lively, dynamic and friendly community. We are deeply committed to ensuring that you have the best student experience here. Sustained investment (£200 million over four years) has produced outstanding learning resources in our lecture theatres and libraries as well as excellent sporting and social facilities on and off campus. This investment has helped us forge a reputation as one of the UK’s top 10 research universities and one of the top 80 universities in the world. We are one of only 19 UK universities that feature in the World University Rankings (The Times Higher Education Supplement 2007). We hope that you will embrace the opportunities on offer at Southampton, make the most of your time with us and go on to reap the rewards that a degree from a world-class university will bring you in the future. We make every effort to ensure that your transition into Higher Education is as easy as possible. This guide will provide you with useful information on enrolment, financial matters, accommodation and other issues as you settle in to life at the University. You will receive more specific information on your programme of study from your Academic School. We hope that you enjoy your time here and wish you every success in your studies.

Details about the limits of the University’s liability in the event of changes to advertised courses/programmes are available at: termsandconditions.html Alternative formats This information can be made available, on request, in alternative formats, such as electronic, large print, Braille or audio tape and, in some cases, other languages. Please contact us for further information.


Professor Don Nutbeam Vice-Chancellor


Your ID card All new students are issued with an ID card and you will be expected to carry this with you at all times on University premises. ID application forms are posted to new students during the summer period, with the exception of international students who should download the application form from the International Welcome website. Pre-sessional students must request an application form from the course co-ordinator – please email: For further details, go to: international/welcome/home.html

Enrolment What is enrolment?

- receive a council tax exemption certificate (where applicable)

All students must enrol before they can officially join the University and this includes students in partner institutions. Enrolment is the process through which you:

- live in halls of residence (where applicable)

- agree to be a student at the University - indicate your agreement to abide by the University’s statutes and regulations and to pay all relevant fees (e.g. tuition fees) - check and update key personal information in your student record.

How to enrol You must complete the enrolment process online before arriving at the University (details below). The process only takes around 15 minutes and you will be guided through each step online. The first step is to create your University computing account at: You will need your student ID number (shown on the letter/email with this guide or available from your School office) when enrolling online. If you do not enrol, you will not be entitled to: - your student ID card - resources for your programme of study - participate in assessment


- receive your student loan (where applicable)

- access additional University services and information

Once you have enrolled, you will have access to many University services and facilities. If you do not enrol by the end of the first week of your programme of study (including any placements), we may assume that you have withdrawn from the University. This could lead to suspension and so it is vital that you enrol as early as possible. In addition, if you are an international student in the UK on a student visa we are required to notify the UK Border Agency if you fail to enrol, which may ultimately lead to you losing your right to stay in the UK. You must enrol for each academic year. Your School will remind you of this requirement. You will also need to input the following details when you enrol, or, if you do not have all of these details yet, as soon as possible following enrolment by updating your details via your online student record: - your current permanent address - your term-time address in the UK - your term-time telephone number in the UK

- your mobile telephone number (if you have a mobile telephone) - your emergency contact details (including the name and address of your doctor) - information on sponsors (if your tuition fees are not being paid by you or your family)

University regulations At enrolment, all students agree to abide by the University’s statutes, ordinances and regulations. Further information, together with a copy of the relevant School regulations (including higher degree regulations for postgraduate students), is available at: www.calendar. You will receive a copy of the regulations covering our halls of residence with your offer of accommodation. Please note that all outstanding debts to the University must be paid before a degree award can be confirmed.

Where to go for help If you have any queries, or experience any problems during enrolment, please contact the Enrolment Helpline. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 8888 Email:

Once returned, completed application forms take 14 days to process. If your programme starts after 28th September, please return your application form by 14th September 2009 to ensure that your ID card is ready for collection at the start of the academic year. Programmes with earlier start dates will have earlier deadlines for the return of completed application forms. The full list of application deadlines can be found on the ID Service website: idstudio.html Your application may be delayed if you do not complete the application form in full. ID cards can be collected from your School Reception/ Registration Office during induction. You will be asked to prove your identity before your ID card is given to you. Details of acceptable identity documents can be found at: idstudio.html

Your ID card serves as a: -

Student registration ID card Library card SportRec membership card (for use at Southampton sites) Uni-link bus pass* (where applicable) Students’ Union membership Door access card (where applicable) Arts Pass* (where applicable) Bike Shed Access card (where applicable) Catering card* (where applicable)

*students based at Southampton sites only.

The ID Card Service is based at the front desk in the Student Services Centre on the Highfield Campus. The centre is open from 9am to 5.30pm (Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays) and from 9am to 3.30pm on Wednesdays. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 9599 | Email:


Our campuses We have five campuses in Southampton, three of them next to Southampton Common – a 326 acre area of managed woodland. We also have a campus in nearby Winchester. Wherever you are based, you will soon become part of our warm and vibrant campus community. Highfield Our main campus, in the north of the city, is home to the Students’ Union, the Jubilee Sports Centre, the Student Services Centre, the Hartley Library, the John Hansard Gallery, the Nuffield Theatre and the Turner Sims Concert Hall. There is also a choice of cafés and restaurants, a shop, banks, a post office, a travel centre and a hair and beauty salon. Our postgraduate research students have full access to the facilities of the Staff Social Centre on site. Boldrewood Situated close to the Highfield Campus, Boldrewood is the location for Biomedical and Biological Sciences and has extensive laboratory and computing facilities. Student facilities include a café, student common room, seminar and meeting rooms, communal concourse and student support offices. A new state-of-the-art building is presently under construction on the Highfield Campus, due for completion in 2010. Avenue A few minutes’ walk from Highfield, Avenue Campus houses most disciplines within the School of Humanities, and the Centre for Language Study. It has a small library, lecture theatres, focused study spaces and catering amenities, plus a new £3 million Archaeology building, with state-of-the-art facilities for teaching and research. Southampton General Hospital Three miles west of Highfield is the base for the University’s School of Medicine, at one of the country’s leading teaching hospitals. The campus offers modern laboratories, computer suites, newly refurbished lecture theatres, catering facilities and a specialist Health Services Library. National Oceanography Centre, Southampton Located on the city’s waterfront, the National Oceanography Centre, Southampton, is one of the world’s leading research centres for the study of ocean and earth sciences, and provides the focus for oceanography in the UK. The campus has its own fitness suite and sports hall as well as catering facilities, and is home to 450 research scientists, lecturing and support staff, and over 600 students. Winchester School of Art The School of Art, founded in 1863, became part of the University in 1996, and is located 12 miles north of Southampton, close to Winchester city centre. The campus provides purpose-designed studios and workshops, an


extensive specialist library, Students’ Union facilities, a café and a well-stocked art supplies shop. The renowned Winchester Gallery is based on campus.

Campus amenities Eating and drinking Our campuses offer a wide range of places to eat and drink that cater for every taste and many are open seven days a week. Whether you want to grab a quick sandwich, a cappuccino and a slice of cake or take a more leisurely lunch with friends or colleagues, you’ll find it all here. Our cafés, restaurants and bars offer everything from fresh salads to pizzas and curries, with daytime and evening menus.

EEE Building at Highfield Campus

Winchester School of Art

Transport Our award-winning Uni-link bus service connects the University’s Southampton campuses and halls of residence with the city centre and local/regional transport links. Further afield The School of Health Sciences is based at the University’s Highfield Campus in Southampton. The School also has a campus in Portsmouth and study centres in Basingstoke, Winchester and on the Isle of Wight. Practical placements are available across Hampshire. Basingstoke The School’s study centre at Basingstoke is located in The Ark – a new building at the North Hampshire Hospital. This purpose-built facility is designed to enhance medical and health care education and act as a regional conference centre. The Ark has a restaurant and wine bar as well as a café in the main hospital building.

Student enjoying a day out in Southampton

National Oceangraphy Centre, Southampton

Avenue Campus

Studying in the Hartley Library

Isle of Wight The School’s study centre is based at St Mary’s Hospital, Newport, and includes classrooms, computer facilities as well as access to a library and café. Portsmouth The Education Centre at St Mary’s Hospital is a purpose-built centre with sophisticated computing facilities, a library, café and a range of teaching resources, including fully equipped skills centres. Winchester The School study centre is located at the Education Centre in the Royal Hampshire County Hospital and it can be easily reached by bus, car or train. The centre has IT and library facilities.


A place to live As a new student, you should have received information about accommodation in our halls of residence, in the Accommodation brochure sent to you by your School. There is a wide range of information about our Halls of Residence on the Accommodation website at

Council tax

The deadline for accommodation applications for places in Halls is the 1st August, and any applications received after this date are not guaranteed an offer of accommodation in Halls. You can still apply but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to make you an offer. If you have not received an offer of accommodation, and you would like to apply you can do so at:

Full-time students sharing a house with non-students are no longer jointly liable for the council tax bill. Non-students will be liable to pay the full bill but may receive a 25 per cent discount if they are the only person liable. They may also be entitled to claim council tax benefit if they are on a low income.

If you have been offered accommodation, please ensure that you have accepted your offer, as offers will expire after 10 days. We also have a website with lots of useful information, hints and tips about arriving at your Halls of Residence. This can be found at accommodation/arrivals. On arrival, you should check in at your allocated hall, where you will be given your room number and keys. If you require accommodation with wheelchair access or if you have any other needs relating to a disability or medical condition, please contact the University’s Enabling Services (details on page 19), if you have not already done so. If you need accommodation, but do not have an offer for Halls, the Accommodation Service can offer support and advice to students about private rented sector accommodation. There is a wide range of property available in Southampton and the University work in partnership with the City Council and Solent University, to manage an accredited landlord scheme called SASSH. More details can be found on the Accommodation website at accommodation. The Accommodation Service is based in the Student Services Centre on the Highfield Campus. If you have any queries about accommodation, please take a look at the website, email us at the address below or phone the team. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 5959 Email:


Snapshots of daily life in our halls of residence

Most adults living in the UK are required to pay council tax to their local government authority. However, full-time students living in a University hall of residence, hospital accommodation or in a house with other full-time students (during term time) are exempt from this tax.

If you are a full-time, enrolled student, you can request a letter from your School confirming your full-time status. Part-time students and postgraduate research students on ‘nominal registration’ (i.e. writing up their thesis) are not normally exempt from payment. However, if you are experiencing financial hardship, you can apply for ‘Council Tax Benefit’ or ‘Second Adult Rebate’ (i.e. a reduction in the bill) from your local Council Tax Office (CTO). Southampton CTO Tel: +44 (0)23 8083 2349 Winchester CTO Tel: +44 (0)1962 848 288 Further information, including a leaflet on council tax, is available from the Students’ Union Advice and Information Centre (SUAIC) in the Students’ Union Building 40. For details, please email: Please note: we may be asked by the CTO to confirm a student’s term-time address and we are obliged to disclose this information.

What you need to do – You must ensure that you are no longer included on the council tax register in your home area (unless you plan to live at this address during term time). – You should inform your local CTO by early September if you are leaving the area. If you plan to keep a home in another area, you should clarify the position with your local CTO. – If you live in a house or flat, you may receive a letter from your local CTO informing you how much you are expected to pay. You may need to present the confirmation of status letter from your School at this stage. – Once you have enrolled at the University as a full-time student, you can request a confirmation of full-time status letter from your School Office. – You must send this letter to the appropriate CTO with details of your term-time address. Please note: the same rules apply to both UK and international students. Spouses of international students maybe exempt from council tax.


Getting around University bus service The University’s award-winning bus service, Uni-link, connects the Southampton halls of residence and campuses with the city centre and local transport links. The service operates all day, every day. A single journey costs £1.50 and an all-day ticket costs £2.50. You can also buy multi-journey, weekly, monthly or annual tickets. Unlimited use of all Uni-link services is included in hall fees for students living in Southampton. You will be able to use your ID card to access these services (see page 5 for details about applying for a card). If you are moving into University accommodation, you will find more information in your Halls Arrival Pack. All first-year undergraduate residents can use their cards immediately. However, resident postgraduate and continuing students must take their ID card and proof of residence along to the Uni-link office in the Travel Centre on the Highfield Campus to have their cards activated. Students living in private rented accommodation can purchase a range of ticket and pass options for Uni-link. For current timetables, route maps and general information about Uni-link, please go to the website or drop in to the Uni-link office. A Uni-link route map is featured on page 39 of this guide. For information about public transport around campuses outside Southampton, please contact your School direct. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 5974 Email: Using your car First-year undergraduates living in halls are not permitted to keep a car on site. The roads around most halls have restricted parking, which is strictly enforced. Parking is only permitted on compassionate or medical grounds and with prior agreement from the Transport Services Manager at the Uni-link office.

First-year undergraduates are only granted parking permits on the campuses on medical grounds and very few permits are available for second- and third-year undergraduates. At the Winchester School of Art, permits are only available for students with disabilities. Parking permit application forms for teaching sites are available from the Security Department on the Highfield Campus. Early application is recommended. To download a form, go to: estates and click on ‘Car Parking’ and ‘Student Parking’. Disability permits If you have mobility problems and you require a disability parking permit, please contact the Enabling Services for advice (details on page 19). Unless you are a blue badge holder, there will be a charge for this permit. Anyone who parks a motor vehicle on the University campus must display a valid permit on the front windscreen. Full details about car parking regulations are available at: (section IV, ‘General Information and Regulations’ and ‘Vehicles’). Any breach of these regulations may lead to clamping and a substantial fine. All vehicles are left on University premises at the owner’s risk and the University does not take responsibility for any claims for damages. Bicycles While parking and car use in halls and on campuses is limited, cycle use is encouraged and the University has good storage facilities. There is also an increasing number of cycle routes around the University campuses and the cities of Southampton and Winchester. If you bring a bike with you to the University, please ensure that your home postcode is stamped on the cycle frame. You can do this through your local bike supplier (at the time of purchase) or by arrangement at your local police station.

To help with moving in and out of halls, free unlimited parking in halls is available during the first and last week of each term only. Do not risk parking in halls without prior permission. Clamping and tow-away are in operation and you may face a hefty fine if you park illegally. Further information is available from the Uni-link office.



Students’ Union The centre of student life is Southampton University Students’ Union, also known as SUSU, which is run by students for students. The Students’ Union is one of the largest of its kind in the UK, with an annual turnover of around £6.5 million a year, all of which gets reinvested in student focused activities. The main Students’ Union is based on the Highfield Campus, although there is a Students’ Union based at Winchester School of Art and the Halls Bars are also run by the Students’ Union. Nursing students based in Portsmouth can use the Student Union facilities at the University of Portsmouth. You will automatically become a member of the Students’ Union when you enrol and your Student ID Card serves as your Students’ Union membership card. Membership is free and offers a whole range of benefits. Union facilities Facilities on the Highfield Campus include:

Students at Uni-link bus interchange

Please note: bicycles found in buildings or those causing an obstruction at University sites may be removed or impounded, pending payment of a fine. Insurance Motor vehicle insurance Car insurance policies vary in the cover provided for journeys made in connection with your studies. If you use a vehicle to travel to and from lectures, some insurers may classify this as ‘social, domestic and pleasure use’ while others may deem it as ‘business use’. Some insurers include ‘business use’ at no extra charge while others require an additional premium. You should contact your car insurer to ensure that your policy provides the appropriate level of cover. The University takes no responsibility for any additional premium costs.


The campus also has its own hair salon, which is located above the Students’ Union shop. Travel centre

Banks and cash points A number of banks and cash machines are located on the Highfield Campus, including outside the Union Shop and in the Students’ Union building, as well in the Gower Building outside the banks. You’ll also find plenty of banks and cash machines in local shopping areas (such as Portswood) and in the city centre.

We provide extremely limited insurance cover for students’ personal effects (up to a maximum of £500 for losses on University property). This does not include cover for theft or accidental damage. Personal property is brought onto University premises entirely at the owner’s risk.

– SUSU café, which serves a selection of hot and cold food all day, every day

The University is insured against accidents to enrolled students caused by its own negligence. It is also insured against the consequences of negligent acts by students involved in University work. Personal liability for students engaged in social or domestic activities is not covered by the University, and no acts of preventable carelessness or criminal negligence are covered. If you have arranged for insurance of your personal belongings, this usually includes cover for personal liability at no additional cost.

Our Students’ Union shop, which is open seven days a week, sells everyday items such as food, stationery and newspapers, including a variety of Fairtrade, organic and International products. Every Monday the Students’ Union holds an indoor market selling fresh fruit and vegetables, second-hand books and DVDs, fresh bread, sausages, free range eggs and other items.

– a shop

– four bars

Personal liability insurance

Shops and market

– a travel centre

Insurance of personal effects

You are strongly advised to take out individual insurance to cover your personal belongings. Some insurers offer a specially designed personal effects and public liability cover scheme for students living in halls. A number of insurance policies may be suitable for students living in private rented accommodation and it is also possible for parents to extend their own household contents insurance.

Useful information

– Students’ Union Advice and Information Centre (SUAIC)

– a 330-seat cinema

To register for access to locked storage facilities, please visit the Uni-link office on the Highfield Campus. Cycle racks and stands are available around the campuses. To reduce the risk of theft, you should use two good-quality locks for securing your bikes at these locations. Locks are available at a discounted price from the Uni-link office.

Alternatively, check out the DVD and Students’ Union ‘Fresh Mag’, which will be mailed to you in September before your arrival in Southampton.

Part of the Students’ Union complex, The Travel Centre ( is Hampshire’s leading student and youth travel specialist. Whatever your travel requirements, The Travel Centre’s friendly staff are on hand to help you plan your trip and book your tickets – from a trip home through to volunteering abroad and round the world travel. The Travel Centre also offers a vast array of regular extra special travel deals for students.

– 1,700-capacity nightclub (The Cube) Free, locked storage is available at all Halls of Residence, but Uni-link may require a £5 deposit for a key to gain entry to the locked bike storage in halls only. Non-residents can also use these facilities at a cost of £10 per year. Locked storage facilities are available on the Highfield and Avenue campuses.

– SUSU.TV – why not tune into our online student TV station? For further information about SUSU, please take a look at:

– a weekly Monday Market – a hair salon The Union’s entertainment programme runs throughout the academic year and includes comedy, karaoke, club nights and live bands. You will have the chance to get involved in: – more than 70 clubs – from archery to athletics – more than 150 societies – from jazz dancing to astronomy – Student Community Action – volunteer in the community, help out and have fun. – RAG (Raise and Give) – raise funds for nominated charities – Union representation – volunteer as a student officer In the Media Resources Centre, you can get involved in: – Wessex Scene – why not write for our nationally recognised student newspaper? Also online, – Surge Radio (1287AM) – how about becoming a DJ on our award-winning radio station? Also online,

Freshers’ Week Freshers’ Week, which runs from Monday 28 September to Sunday 4 October 2009, will give you the best introduction to University life. The Students’ Union runs daily events throughout the week, including the massive ‘Bunfight’ (Wednesday 30th September) that features more than 70 clubs and 150 societies and on Friday, the famous Freshers’ Fayre (Friday 2nd October) where you will find hundreds of freebies from external companies. Further details will be available in September in your SUSU Freshers’ Pack but keep checking the website for the latest information at: Winchester School of Art Students’ Union also hosts Freshers’ Week activities for students and details will be sent out by post in September.


Creativity on campus With four major arts venues on our Highfield and Winchester campuses, the University of Southampton offers a rich and diverse mix of theatre, music and art activities and events to inspire and entertain. Our venues have won national and international acclaim for their programmes, performances and exhibitions, and make a major contribution to the arts in Southampton and around the local region. John Hansard Gallery The Gallery enjoys a worldwide reputation for exciting and innovative shows by leading UK and international artists. Exhibitions range from painting and photography to video and installations, and the gallery hosts regular seminars, talks and workshops. Free admission for all. Turner Sims Concert Hall This is one of the UK’s leading music venues. You can expect anything from New York jazz to African gospel choirs, virtuoso classical artists and traditional folk music. As a student you will benefit from discounted admission, as well as free lunchtime concerts twice a week during term time. Nuffield Theatre Recognised as a major force in British theatre, The Nuffield is funded by Arts Council England and the University, among others, and creates award-winning productions that frequently tour internationally. The theatre runs a full programme of classics, new plays and studio performances, and hosts some of the finest touring companies and standup comedians. As a student at the University, you can buy tickets at a reduced price. The Winchester Gallery The Gallery is a public venue within our Winchester School of Art. It shows contemporary and international work and its programme has an emphasis on new media and photography. From time to time the programme includes material developed by the departments of the School of Art. Get involved If you want to get involved in the Performing Arts Union, the Southampton University Symphony Orchestra (SUSO) or any of the wide range of cultural clubs and societies at the University, visit the Students’ Union website at


There is something to suit everyone’s cultural tastes, on campus and in the local area


Sport & recreation We offer outstanding sporting facilities, which include the Jubilee Sports Centre on the Highfield Campus and Wide Lane Sports Grounds in Eastleigh. Facilities in the Jubilee Sports Centre include: – a 25-metre, six-lane swimming pool – an eight-court sports hall – a gym with 160 fitness stations – one of the largest facilities of any UK university. Whether you are a seasoned gym-user or a total beginner, our friendly staff are on hand to help you achieve your goals. The Jubilee Sports Centre also offers swimming lessons and clubs for all levels – from beginners through to advanced swimmers. Other indoor sports facilities on the Highfield Campus include: – four squash courts – a martial arts studio – dance studios and an activity room – a second sports hall for five-a-side football, cricket, handball, Frisbee and roller hockey – indoor climbing wall Outdoor sports facilities include the recently redeveloped 76-acre site at Wide Lane in Eastleigh, near Southampton, with synthetic turf pitches, grass pitches and floodlit tennis courts, a pavilion with conference rooms and bar. Southampton’s coastal location means that there is a strong focus on watersports and the University has its own Boat Hard on the River Itchen, which also houses the University rifle/archery range.

Get involved Whether you’re a complete novice or an élite athlete, you’ll find plenty of sporting activities to keep you fit and active. SportRec offers courses in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor sports whilst the Athletic Union caters for around 70 sports clubs, from hockey to archery and from gliding to karate. Many of our teams are world renowned (e.g. sailing). For further details, go to: Our intra-mural leagues provide an opportunity to compete in a number of winter and summer team games. Students who show outstanding sporting ability can apply for support from the SportRec Sports Bursary Scheme. We also participate in the Government’s Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme to support potential Olympic athletes. Successful applicants receive financial support, free sports membership, a dedicated sports mentor, strength and conditioning training and physiotherapy. Outreach facilities Students based at National Oceanography Centre, Southampton, or living at Glen Eyre or Connaught Halls of Residence, can also take advantage of on-site fitness facilities. If you are based at Winchester School of Art or are a student from the School of Health Sciences’ satellite sites, you can purchase a discounted membership at local authority sports centres in Winchester, Basingstoke or on the Isle of Wight. The subsidised fees are equivalent to the cost of SportRec membership. For full details of all sport and recreation opportunities, please drop in to the Jubilee Sports Centre or take a look at the SportRec website:

To enjoy these fantastic sports facilities, you can purchase a Sport and Recreation (SportRec) card for just £110.00 per year (from 1 September 2009).

A wide range of sporting opportunities are available



Our students benefit from the highest standards of teaching from world-leading experts

Supporting you We offer extensive support services to help students cope with any academic and personal issues, including disability need assessments, counselling, dyslexia support and mentoring. These Services are available at the Highfield Campus and at various sites across the University. Academic Schools can also offer guidance and advice on general issues and provide detailed information about induction and programmes of study. Student Services Centre Our Student Services Centre, which is based on the Highfield Campus, provides a single focus point for all student enquiries relating to accommodation, fees, student ID cards, visa guidance, financial advice and information, graduation and support services. The centre is open from 9am to 5.30pm on weekdays except on Wednesdays when it closes at 3.30pm. Please note that the centre is not open at weekends. However, you can still submit queries out of hours via voicemail, email or fax. Once enrolled, you will also be able to access services through the student web portal (SUSSED) at: Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 9599 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 9595 Email: Student Resources Network The Student Resources Network (SRN) is your gateway to all the help and support you need as a student at the University of Southampton. The physical and virtual services and information provided by Schools and Professional Services is only a click or call away. The SRN consists of physical services and locations, such as the Student Services Centre and the Library Learning Centre, as well as the virtual, such as the SRN online website.

University Counselling Service The University Counselling Service (UCS) provides confidential and professional support to help students and staff with a range of personal and academic issues. Based at the Highfield Campus, the UCS (reception desk) is open on weekdays from 10am to 4pm and appointments are available from 8.30am to 5.00p.m. on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays and until 7.00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Appointments are also available at Winchester School of Art and St Mary’s Hospital, Portsmouth. For all enquiries, including bookings, please contact the UCS by telephone or email. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3719 Email: counselling For out-of-hours support, you may find the following telephone numbers useful: Samaritans

+44 (0)8457 909090

No Limits (under 25s)

+44 (0)23 8022 4224

Victim Support

+44 (0)8453 030900


+44 (0)23 8059 5236

Care Confidential

+44 (0)800 028 2228

Citizen Advice Bureau

+44 (0)23 8022 1406

Relate (couples)

+44 (0)23 8022 9761

Dyslexia Services Dyslexia Services provides support for students with specific learning difficulties (e.g. dyslexia and dyspraxia). If you have a specific learning difficulty, it is important that you register with Dyslexia Services as soon as possible on arrival at the University to ensure that you receive the appropriate support. Dyslexia Services tutors make recommendations for special examination arrangements, offer individual study skills tutorials, and advise on the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).

You can access SRN from the SUSSED portal - select the ‘Resources’ tab when you log in and click on any of the buttons or sections in the different channels such as ‘Main’ or ‘Recommendations’. If you have made an enquiry at the Student Services Centre, you can track its progress in this area too. The site includes links to the most popular online resources in ‘Quick Links’ to help you access help and support quickly and easily such as Timetables and Exams.

If you think you might be dyslexic, you can have an initial screening assessment with Dyslexia Services. Full diagnostic assessments can also be provided if appropriate. Please contact Dyslexia Services to make an appointment.

Wherever you see the SRN colours you’ll know advice and information for Southampton students is close at hand at:

For further information about specific learning support, please visit:


Highfield Campus 45 University Road Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 2759 Email:

Wessex Assessment Centre The Wessex Assessment Centre (WAC) conducts specialist assessments for students in receipt of DSAs. If you are a fulltime undergraduate student (or a part-time undergraduate/ postgraduate student) with a disability, medical/mental health condition or a specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), you may be eligible for an allowance. DSAs can help meet the cost of computer hardware and software and/or other equipment that you may need to support your studies. Study skills tuition, mentoring and other support can be funded through these allowances. WAC can also provide individual computer/software training to help you make use of any equipment provided. For further information, or to book an appointment, please contact the WAC. Appointments are available daily (except Sundays) at the Highfield Campus and by arrangement at the Winchester School of Art. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 7233 Email:

Enabling Services Our Enabling Services provide information and advice for students with a wide range of disabilities, health conditions, mental health difficulties or temporary injuries. The Disability Advice and Support Team can provide support on a variety of topics such as accommodation, additional exam arrangements and specialist equipment. They can also advise on disability-related funding and help students to apply for the Disabled Students Allowances (DSA). Mentoring offer support to students with health conditions, or mental health issues. They can advise on workload organisation and planning, motivation and morale, study skills and strategies to help students manage their academic studies alongside other difficulties. Students can have regular one-to-one meetings with a mentor, who can provide support at a number of sites. Our Ancillary Learning Support Service can help if you require any additional assistance with academic tasks. This support is tailored to meet your individual needs and includes note taking, library support and general assistance.


For advice and guidance, or to make an appointment with a member of the team, please contact us. Appointments can be made at the Highfield, Avenue, or Winchester School of Art campuses: Disability Advice and Support enquiries: Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 7726 Email: Mentoring enquiries: Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 7241 Email: Ancillary learning support: Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 2441 Email: Wellbeing support The First Support team, based in Support Services, offers confidential support and practical advice for students who are affected by an incident or life event, such as an accident or illness. If you are concerned about a fellow student, please also feel free to contact us. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 7488 Email: Students’ Union Advice and Information Centre The Students’ Union Advice and Information Centre (SUAIC) can provide independent, free, confidential and impartial advice to students. SUAIC is staffed by four trained advisors who can help with practical matters, such as student finance, debt counselling and budgeting skills. Our advisors can provide guidance on changing or leaving your course, housing, consumer rights, legal matters and international student issues. Centre staff can also provide representation at academic appeals, disciplinary hearings and ‘fitness to practice’ panels, and offer support for students who are concerned about any aspect of university life. SUAIC opening times are as follows: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 10am to 4pm, Wednesday 11am to 4pm. During term time, SUAIC also provides access to a solicitor free of charge on a fortnightly basis. The Centre also provides advice surgeries at the Winchester School of Art. SUAIC Students’ Union building 40, Highfield Campus Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 2085 Email: Advice surgeries Winchester School of Art Please contact our Receptionist at Highfield to make an


appointment or visit the Students’ Union building on the Winchester Campus. Winchester School of Art Students’ Union Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 6988 Email: Highfield SUAIC Reception Tel: 023 8059 2085 Email: Childcare Our Day Nursery, based on the Highfield Campus, is open to all students and staff. It provides a safe, caring and stimulating environment during the day for all children aged from four months to five years. The day nursery is available throughout the year and opening times are Mondays to Fridays from 8am to 6pm. It is a popular nursery and so early application is advisable. Students at the Winchester School of Art are eligible to use facilities at the Highfield Campus.

Career Destinations Career Destinations is available to you throughout your time at University and for three years afterwards. We can help you to:

– a drop-in Careers Information Centre

– find term-time work to provide additional financial support during your studies

Where to find us:

– skills workshops on CV writing and interview techniques – a comprehensive website – face-to-face careers guidance.

– organise local voluntary work that can enhance your CV

Highfield Campus

– explore possible vacation opportunities in the UK and overseas

– From September 2009 Career Destinations will be located on the ground floor of Building 37.

– develop your workplace skills and enhance your employability

Careers information is also available at:

– research future careers and further study opportunities

– National Oceanography Centre, Southampton, Student Centre

– make informed choices about career options – help you to market yourself effectively to future employers or course providers. Our services include: – an online vacancy database

– Winchester School of Art, Library 3

– Avenue Campus. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3501 Email:

– a full programme of careers fairs/events

The nursery also welcomes student volunteers. Contact the nursery for more information. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3465 Email: Chaplaincy Centre The University’s chaplains are available for students of all faiths and backgrounds. Our chaplains can provide confidential support to students or simply the opportunity for an informal chat. You can usually drop in to speak to a chaplain or make an appointment via email or telephone. Chaplaincy 41 University Road Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3511 Email: Alumni Relations Office When you join the University, you become part of our worldwide community of over 160,000 alumni. This will include the friends you make during your time at Southampton as well as contacts you make in later life as an alumnus. Following graduation, you will receive invitations to professional networking events, regular reunions as well as access to careers advice and the University’s sports and library facilities. You will also receive biannual copies of our alumni magazine (Hartley News) to keep you up to date with information about your University. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 2747 Email:

Religion – a place for every faith Whatever your religion, you will find a place to worship either on or off campus. The University is home to various societies run by students of different faiths. These include: – Catholic Society – Christian Union – Hindu Society – Islamic Society – Jewish Society – Sikh Society – Student Christian Movement. You can find out about different places of worship through the relevant society or through The Chaplaincy Centre on the Highfield Campus. The Centre, which is open on weekdays during term-time from 8.30am to 5.30pm, provides space for regular services and private prayer, as well as a common room with tea and coffee-making facilities.

There is also a separate Muslim prayer room with washing facilities situated near the Students’ Union. All students are welcome to use the facilities at Chaplaincy Centre and meeting rooms can be booked free of charge. The centre has three chaplains (Anglican, Free Church and Roman Catholic) who are available on site to talk confidentially. Our chaplains organise a programme of events, regular meetings and occasional weekend conferences, as well as providing opportunities for voluntary work. Chaplaincy 41 University Road Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3511 Email:


Your health All students should register with a local doctor on arrival at the University. There are two National Health Service (NHS) practices on the Highfield Campus: University Health Service and Highfield Health.

Immunisations You must supply written details of your immunisations when you register with a general practice at the University or in the local area.

University Health Service

Meningitis It is a national recommendation that all young people under the age of 25 have an immunisation against Meningitis C (not A+C). Please ensure that you obtain these vaccinations from your current doctor before arriving at the University. If you are unable to arrange immunisation prior to your arrival, please do so as soon as you have registered with a medical practitioner in the area.

Highfield Health Both practices are able to accept patients who live within a three-mile radius of the Highfield Campus. A list of other medical practices in the Southampton area is available at: If you choose to register at either of the Highfield Campus practices you should complete a registration form available direct from the surgery and hand it in to your chosen practice during Freshers’ Week. Registration forms are also available on the practice websites for completion in advance of your visit. When registering, please supply written evidence of all immunisations and vaccinations (over the past five years) and your NHS Medical Card. If you do not have an NHS Medical Card, you can still register using a Form GMS1, which is available from all health practices. However, please ensure that you take the following information with you: – your NHS Number (available from your current doctor’s surgery) – name of your current doctor, surgery address and postcode – your full home address and postcode. Students at Winchester School of Art will receive medical registration details direct from the School, and should register with a doctor in the Winchester area on arrival. A list of health practices can be found at:


Measles, mumps and rubella It is recommended that students have two doses of the Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine before arriving at the University. Once again, if you are unable to arrange immunisation prior to your arrival, please do so as soon as you have registered with a medical practitioner in the area. International students If you are an international student, you should bring with you details of all immunisations, medication and a full medical history for yourself and any family members accompanying you to the University. Currently, the NHS provides free care for all international students attending a full-time course for at least six months. The NHS will also provide free care to your spouse, civil partner and children under the age of 16 (or 19 if in further education) if they are living permanently with you in the UK for the duration of your degree programme. Further information can be found at: International/OverseasVisitors/index.htm International students pay for medical prescriptions and for dentist and optician charges in the same way as UK residents. From April 2009, prescription costs are £7.20 per item for students aged 19 and over. However, you may be entitled to some assistance with these charges, depending on your income. You can apply for assistance using Form HC1, which is available from the Students’ Union Advice and Information Centre (details on page 20), the Student Services Centre (details on page 18) or from any UK medical practice.


Financial support Our aim is to ensure that you have access to the best financial advice and support possible during your time at University. The SUAIC and Financial Information and Assistance team can help you with any financial issues or enquiries. Financial advice Our Financial Information and Assistance team can provide advice and guidance for students wishing to apply for the Access to Learning Fund (ALF). This fund provides discretionary financial support for students who are experiencing genuine financial hardship. Funding can help with living costs such as childcare, disability support, travel, accommodation, household expenses, books and course equipment. All full-time UK undergraduate and postgraduate students can apply for funding. Part-time students studying at least 50 per cent of a full-time degree programme can also apply. The following groups of students are given a priority for ALF funding: - students with children, especially lone parents - mature students, especially those with existing financial commitments - students with disabilities (especially in cases where the Disabled Students’ Allowance is unable to meet particular costs) - students leaving care - students from foyers or those who are homeless - final-year students Students are assessed on an individual basis for each academic year and should not rely on this funding as a continuing source of income. If you receive an award in one year, you will not necessarily receive an award in subsequent years.

Our Financial Information and Assistance Team is based in the Student Services Centre, which is open from 9am to 5.30pm weekdays (except Wednesdays when the centre closes at 3.30pm). Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3287 Email: In addition, a member of the team is also available, by appointment, at Winchester School of Art. To arrange an appointment, please phone + 44 (0)23 8059 6913.

Bursaries and scholarships Here at Southampton, we offer a wide range of bursaries and scholarships to help students during their time at University. UK bursary scheme We offer a bursary scheme to help support full-time UK undergraduate students from low-income households (excluding students who are in receipt of an NHS bursary). The bursary is non-repayable. All students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply: - UK undergraduates students whose annual family income falls below £25,000 will automatically receive a bursary of £1,200 for every year of full-time registration to which the £3,225 tuition fee applies. - UK undergraduate students whose annual family income falls between £25,001 and £35,000 will receive a bursary of £600 for every year of full-time registration to which the £3,225 tuition fee applies. PGCE students whose annual family income falls below £25,000 will receive a bursary of £319.

The ALF cannot help students to meet the cost of tuition fees. Nor is the fund designed to help students who have mismanaged their finances or have simply run out of money. The fund can not be used in place of statutory support or any benefits – you must apply for these before you can be considered for an award. Students who are not eligible for statutory funding must make reasonable provision for living costs and tuition fees before they can be considered for the ALF. Furthermore, this funding is not designed to compensate for a lack of parental contribution, particularly in cases where a student has only been able to take the non-means tested element of a student loan.

Hampshire and Isle of Wight bursaries

Payments usually take the form of non-repayable grants, although short-term loans may also be available. Unfortunately, we are unable to help with enquiries about tuition fees. Please direct any enquiries about fee waivers to your Local Authority (LA).

For more information about bursaries, please contact the Financial Information and Assistance Team or go to: bursaries.html


Student Sevices Centre staff giving advice

We also award 150 bursaries of £1,000 each, to applicants who are: - resident in the UK (excluding the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) - new to the University of Southampton - living in or studying at a Further Education or sixth-form college with a Hampshire/Isle of Wight postcode - in receipt of an annual gross family income of less than £35,000.

You must apply for means-tested funding through Student Finance England. Other members of your household (ie. your parents or your partner) must also complete Section 11 of the PN1 form which is the application form for statutory funding you receive from Student Finance England. This provides written authorisation for the Student Loans Company (SLC) to disclose information on household income to the University. All Academic Schools have their own scholarship scheme. For further details, please contact your School office or go to: ugukscholarships.html (for UK and EU Scholarships) ugintscholarships.html (for International Scholarships) Financial support for students leaving care We aim to provide students leaving care with financial information and guidance relevant to their particular circumstances. We offer the following financial assistance in addition to Government support to which you may be entitled:

- a check on your eligibility for further financial assistance (eg. the ALF) The care leavers bursary is available for your first year of study and payments will be made in two instalments in October and February. To be eligible for this funding, you must provide original documentation from your LA (eg. a an official letter) to confirm your status. For more information, please contact the Financial Information and Assistance team. Receipt of student loans Tuition fee loan (UK and EU students) The Student Loans Company (SLC) will pay the first instalment of the loan directly to the University once you have enrolled and your attendance has been recorded. To ensure that payment is made, you must: – supply the SLC with your bank account details and your National Insurance number – complete the University’s enrolment process

- a non-means tested care leavers bursary, worth £1,000, in your first year of study (for full-time UK undergraduates)

– attend an induction session and ensure that University staff record your attendance (the SLC will be notified electronically).

- a financial health check to ensure that you are receiving all the appropriate financial support

Your loan may not get paid if you do not complete all three steps outlined above.


Student loans and grants Applying for a Tuition Fee Loan (UK and EU students only) All full-time undergraduate students from the UK and EU can apply for this loan to cover the cost of tuition fees. If you are an EU (European Union) student, you can obtain an application form from Student Finance England. Further details are available at: All UK students can apply for a tuition fees loan online or on a PN1 form, available from Student Finance England. You must complete an application in order to be considered for a tuition fee loan. If you have not yet done so, please make your application without delay otherwise your will have to pay these costs out of your own funds. The SLC publishes information, online forms and details about deadlines at: studentfinance Applying for a Student Loan for Maintenance (UK students only) Full-time undergraduate students from the UK can apply for a maintenance loan by completing the relevant section of the PN1 form (as described earlier). This loan is intended to help with the cost of attending university including accommodation, food, travel and course materials (eg. books). Maintenance Grant (UK students only) Full-time undergraduate students from the UK can apply for a maintenance grant, which is worth up to £2,906 and it is non-repayable. The grant is payable to new, full-time, UK students with a household income of £50,020 or less and is designed to help with living costs.


Grants are designed to help with living costs

Special Support Grant (UK students only) Students can apply for a special support grant, worth up to £2,906, which is also non-repayable. The grant is payable to new, full-time UK students who may be eligible to receive income-related benefits (such as income support and housing benefit) during their studies. Students who are most likely to qualify for this grant include lone parents, student couples with children and some students with disabilities. The grant is designed to help with living costs. Receipt of this grant will not affect your entitlement to benefits or tax credits. Please note that students who receive the Special Support Grant will not receive the Maintenance Grant. Part-time work Part-time work can help provide additional financial help during your time at university. The University’s Temp Bank can help you to find a suitable vacancy on campus, such as in the Students’ Union or clerical work in one of our departments. All jobs arranged through the Temp Bank are specifically designed to fit around students’ timetables. However, you should avoid taking on too many part-time work commitments, which could interfere with your studies. Please note that International Students can only work a maximum of 20 hours per week because of visa restrictions.


What it costs Tuition fees

University fees policy

Payment information

Sponsorship payments

Tuition fees vary according to the type of programme you choose, the level (i.e. undergraduate or postgraduate) and whether you are classified as a UK, EU, Channel Island or international student. Please contact your Academic School if you have any queries about your fees status. Information on tuition fees can be found on the following websites:

Information for all students

The full fee assessment charge for the 2009/10 academic year should appear on students’ personal financial accounts from 1 September and within two working days of enrolment. Please note that payment should still be made if the charge is not showing on the account.

Fee payments from Research Councils, the Student Loans Company (SLC) and the NHS are made in accordance with government guidelines. All other sponsors will receive an invoice, which should be paid within thirty days. If a sponsor fails to pay the fees, the student will become liable for payment. If you have secured funding from other sources (e.g. a Research Council, employer or foreign embassy/ government), you must provide the University with a copy of your official sponsorship letter.


Enrolling at the University means that you take responsibility for paying your part of the tuition fee. To encourage prompt payment, a discount of one per cent is offered to all students paying their fee contribution in full by Monday 5 October 2009. The discount does not apply to students who are being charged per module for their programme of study or those who are being sponsored.

Postgraduates: feesandfunding/postgradfeesfunding.html

If preferred, you can pay in instalments, as indicated below, for the beginning of each term/semester. The following rules apply if you wish to pay in instalments:

Fees assessment

- Payment must be received in two instalments at the start of each semester (5th October 2009 and 4th January 2010).

UK undergraduate students If you are about to embark on an undergraduate degree programme, you should have already applied to Student Finance England ( for a tuition fee loan. If you have not already done so, you should apply without delay otherwise you will have to pay the full tuition fees of £3,225. EU undergraduate students You should have received an application form (EU 9N) direct from the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). The completed form should be returned to the EU Customer Services Team. If you do not apply, you will have to pay the full tuition fees of £3,225. International students For international students, fees assessments are made in accordance with the offer letter. Please check the exact details of your tuition fees to confirm how much you have to pay and payment deadlines. All students If tuition fees are not being paid by you or your family, please check the sponsor details on your record when enrolling online. If the details are incorrect, please complete the sponsor form during the enrolment process. Alternatively, go to: feesandfunding/sponsor_form_sp1.pdf


- Students will be excluded from teaching classes/lectures if payment is not made by the instalment deadlines. Please read the following carefully and also refer to the fees section on the following websites: Undergraduates: Postgraduates: feesandfunding/postgradfeesfunding.html If you have any queries about fees, please contact the Student Services Centre (details on page 18). Once enrolled online, you can pay your fees via your secure personal site, which can be accessed via the student web portal (SUSSED) at: Once logged in, click on the ‘Resources’ tab and the link to ‘Your Financial Record’ can be found in the ‘Quick Links’ column on the left-hand side of the page. Alternatively, log on directly at: If you are paying fees on behalf of a student, you can make payments via the secure online facility at: Non-payment of fees Non-payment of fees will exclude students from using library, computer resources and other facilities and will eventually result in termination from University candidature. Further information is available at:

The University accepts payments by cheque (payable to the University of Southampton), bank draft, debit/credit card (excluding American Express) or cash (if paid in person). Bank draft is the preferred method for international students who do not wish to pay via the Internet to avoid further bank charges. All bank charges, including exchange rate shortfalls, must be paid by students. If you intend to pay by instalments, post-dated cheques for the second instalment will be accepted. Alternatively, you can pay online and a deferred payment facility will automatically charge the second instalment to your card on the relevant date. If you are paying by cash, we can only accept a maximum of £10,000 in any one transaction in compliance with UK law. We do not issue invoices to privately funded students and entrants are expected to pay the fee outlined in their official offer letter from the University. If you have not been notified of the fee payable, you should contact your School Office in the first instance. All fifth-year UK and EU undergraduates who have applied to their Local Authority or the EU Customer Services Team should have been notified direct about fees. These details will be shown on your LA financial assessment notice or Student Support Direct contribution notice, which will be sent to you direct from your LA (fee charges up to £1,285.00 for 2009/10). You should regularly log on to your personal University financial account to track all payments and view all assigned charges (including those assigned to sponsors). You can access your account via: Once logged in, click on the ‘Resources’ tab and the link to ‘Your Financial Records’ can be found in the ‘Quick Links’ column on the left-hand side of the page. Alternatively, log on directly at:

Please check your sponsor details carefully when you enrol online and, if incorrect, complete the Fees Office sponsorship notification form SP1 at: sponsor_form_sp1.pdf If you do not return or comply with the requirements detailed on the SP1 form, you will be personally responsible for the fee. If you have received sponsorship, you are expected to log on to your personal University financial account on a regular basis to keep track of all payments. Other information All students liable for other charges (e.g. residence charges) should pay these in accordance with the relevant regulations. Further information is available at: You should regularly view and check your account and inform the Student Services Centre immediately if any details are incorrect. Please notify centre staff immediately in the event of any changes to your tuition fees’ funding. If your personal circumstances change or if you are unable to comply with the University’s payment policy, please see a member of staff as soon as possible. If you have any questions about payment of fees, please contact the Student Services Centre: Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 9599 Email:


We have a diverse, integrated student community, and offer a targeted range of activities and support for our international students

International students We have a thriving international community and welcome students from more than 130 countries across the globe. Here at Southampton, we understand that studying in another country can be daunting as you start a new programme of study and adapt to living in a different country. For these reasons, we do everything we can to make your time here as enjoyable as possible. Welcome programme Our comprehensive International Students’ Welcome programme runs from 23 to 27 September 2009. The programme will include a variety of events to introduce you to the University as well as information and advice on issues such as immigration and accommodation. It provides an excellent opportunity to meet with fellow international and European students. A full programme of activities will be available for international students to collect on arrival at the University. The deadline for booking a place on the International Students’ Welcome programme is 1 September 2009. For further information, and to book your place, please go to: Visa, Passport and Identity ‘Check In’ The International Students’ Welcome Programme will also include visa, passport and identity ‘check in’ events for students who have a visa to study in the UK. For further information please go to: Meet and greet We offer a free ‘Meet and Greet’ service to all new international students (with the exception of visiting or exchange students). As part of this service, students are met at Heathrow Airport (Terminal 3) and transported direct to the University shortly before the International Students’ Welcome programme. The service is available on 20, 21 and 22 September 2009. Please note that the deadline for booking a place is 1 September 2009.

Student societies The Students’ Union runs a variety of international student societies that enable students to meet each other and take up new interests. In addition, the Students’ Union Advice and Information Centre (SUAIC) provides cultural and personal support and organises trips around the region.

Additional information Entry requirements If you are an international student, you must supply the following documents to your School Office prior to your school induction (if not already forwarded by post):

- original certificates of academic qualifications - evidence of English language ability (in the form of original certificates) - any other evidence required as part of the conditions of your offer. Personal details Please use the name(s) shown on your passport when completing University documents or providing personal details. English language courses The Centre for Language Study runs a full programme of face-to-face and online language classes prior to, and during, term-time to help students improve their skills, either as part of a degree programme or for pleasure. For details please go to: Ordering cooking utensils

Support services

All-Unied* provides a range of services for international and European students in the UK. For example, the company delivers essential cooking and eating utensils to students’ accommodation. For undergraduate students who need to move out of their accommodation during vacation periods, AllUnied will store personal belongings and ship them to a home address. For more details, please visit:

We offer a wide range of services to help international students settle into life at the University, including specialist academic advisors. We also have a dedicated visa advisory

* Please note: All-Unied is a private company and the University cannot be held responsible for any issues arising from transactions.

For further information, and to book your place, please go to: meet_and_greet.html


team, who can help you extend your visa under Tier 4 and will check your documents and send them to the UK Border Agency on your behalf. For further information please go to:


Induction You will have a lot to do during induction week so try to be as organised as possible.

Receipt of student loans

Please ensure that you complete the following as a top priority:

The Student Loans Company (SLC) will pay the first instalment of the loan directly to the University once you have enrolled and your attendance has been recorded.

- attend induction meetings as advised by your School. Details are sent out with your enrolment instructions and are available at:

Tuition fee loan (UK and EU students)

To ensure that payment is made, you must:

- attend one of the Students’ Union meetings

- supply the SLC with your bank account details and your National Insurance number

- visit the library and take part in the induction activities

- complete the University’s enrolment process

- ensure that your attendance is recorded (the Student Loans Company will be notified and will transfer your loan if applicable)

- attend an induction session and ensure that University staff record your attendance (the SLC will be notified electronically).

- attend a visa, passport and identity ‘check in’ if you are an international student and have a visa to study in the UK

Your loan may not get paid if you do not complete all three steps outlined above.

If you require help from a communication support worker or need any other assistance during induction, please inform Enabling Services (details on page 19).

Maintenance loan (UK students)

International students’ welcome International/EU students can collect a programme of welcome activities including details about visa, passport and identity ‘check in’ events on arrival at the University. Further information is given on page 31 or go to: and click on ‘International Welcome’ and also www.southampton.

School induction School induction meetings provide an opportunity to meet staff and find out more about facilities and resources. Details about your School’s induction meetings will be sent to you with enrolment instructions. This information is also available from your School Office or online at: Undergraduate students may have an opportunity to discuss first-year programmes during their School induction. All undergraduate entrants are expected to attend Heads of Schools talks where applicable. In addition to tuition fees, we may levy a number of minor supplementary charges. For details, please check with your School office during induction week.


The SLC will pay the first instalment of the loan directly into your bank account once you have enrolled and your attendance has been recorded at the University. To ensure that payment is made, you must: - supply the SLC with your bank account details and your National Insurance number - complete the University’s enrolment process - attend an induction session and ensure that your attendance is recorded (the SLC will be notified electronically). Your loan may not get paid if you do not complete all three steps outlined above.

Library induction Important information to note: - you must carry with you formal identification during induction (and keep it safe) - if passport photos are required, you can use the photo booth at the Students’ Union - you must read, and have understood, the University regulations (see page 5 for details).

The University has 5 libraries on the different campuses to suit your needs. Use the tours on the Library website to find out more about them or pick up a self guided tour when you visit one of the libraries. During induction week there will be activities at each Library to help you get your bearings and an opportunity to find out more. Libraries offer quiet work space; study rooms for group study; books; DVDs; print journals and access to university workstations. As well as having 1 week loan copies of recommended texts, each Library has a Reserve Collection offering reference or overnight access to books and journal articles on reading lists.

Spend some time in Induction week looking at the Library web pages for new students. You can use the Subject Support pages to help you find out what are the key academic books, journals and websites that will help you with your studies. Most resources can be accessed off campus using your University login or by setting up VPN. Just come along, our staff are here to help you. Each Library has an Enquiry desk where you can ask for help or you can email For further details about using the library, go to:


Statement of policy regarding the Data Protection Act 1998 As a general principle, information collected about students will be stored as a permanent part of the University’s records and used only for the purposes for which it was collected. It is used to support the University’s central and legitimate activities (mainly teaching and research, administration, pastoral care and health and safety) and the procedures that underpin those activities (e.g. admitting, enrolling, accommodating and examining students, compiling records and statistics, administering tuition fees and bursaries, liaison with the Southampton University Students’ Union, administering graduation and developing a continuing relationship with the University through the University of Southampton Society). Information may also be collected and stored as required by and in the manner prescribed by law.

Our teaching and research are supported by world-class facilities and virtual learning environments

Learning resources Assistive technology The University’s Assistive Technology Service (ATS) is provided by Dyslexia Services. ATS provides specialised IT and learning support facilities for students with disabilities and learning differences, such as dyslexia. Practical resources include a range of visual planning and writing tools, screen magnification software, text-to-speech facilities, and a variety of peripheral devices. The ATS can also convert learning resources to a range of accessible formats. ATS staff are based in the Hartley Library, and dedicated working areas are also provided at all main University campuses. Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3030 Email: IT and computing facilities We provide extensive IT (information technology) and computing facilities to students and staff. As part of the enrolment process, you set up your own University computing account, which provides access to many services


and resources, including 1,700 computer workstations on campuses and in halls, as well as printers, scanners, CD/DVD writers and specialist software. Some Schools may also provide additional computing facilities for their students. Wireless and wired network connection points are available in many locations for students using their own computers and some software (including anti-virus programs) is available to download. General information about services is available at: Once enrolled, you can use the University’s student web portal (SUSSED) to find out more about IT and computing. The content is tailored specifically to students’ interests, including email access, School web pages, Blackboard (the University’s e-learning environment), exam papers/ timetables, news, programme details and much more. To enter the portal, go to: If you have any queries about University IT or computing facilities, please contact the ServiceLine. The ServiceLine is the single point of contact for all University provided IT facilities and resources, and can be contacted by telephone or email:

Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 5656 or 25656 (internal) Email: Library accessibility We endeavour to ensure that our facilities are accessible to all Library users. Staff at each site are able to offer advice and practical help for students with disabilities and learning differences. For further information and contacts at each site, please see the Library WebPages. Specific information is provided there under “Library Users” and “Users with disabilities”. University calculator Our approved calculator, which features the University’s logo, is available for purchase from the Students’ Union Shop on the Highfield Campus. This can be used in exams where a calculator is allowed. Unauthorised calculators are not allowed in the exam room.

The information collected will be no more than is necessary for these purposes. In relation to the Data Protection Act 1998, the Data Controller is the University of Southampton and the University will attempt to ensure that this information is as accurate as possible, kept up to date and safeguarded from unauthorised disclosure. It may, however, be disclosed in certain appropriate circumstances, for example to UCAS; in references to prospective employers or to another university; in cases where this is necessary to fulfil the University’s statutory obligations to authorised bodies, including in connection with immigration and nationality, the National Student Survey, council tax and electoral register; to staff and officers of the University; to other parties in the pursuit of the University’s legitimate interests, such as publishing examination results (whether on the Internet or via any other medium) and providing reports to grant-awarding authorities and sponsors; or in accordance with the University’s Notification with the Information Commissioner. It should be noted that, where information is held by one organisational unit of the University for several purposes set out in the University’s Notification, the presumption will be that the information may be disclosed to other organisational units of the University in furtherance of any or all of those purposes. When necessary, data will also be disclosed to employers responsible for supervising students during periods of practical experience required as part of their degree programme or to other educational institutions where a collaborative, joint or exchange programme is undertaken. The University may be called upon to co-operate with the police in a criminal investigation and with certain other public authorities and, in such circumstances, personal data may be released. Publication of examination results on the Internet, and disclosure of data relating to overseas and sponsored students and exchange and collaborative programmes, among others, may involve a transfer of personal data to a country outside of the European Economic Area which does not have comparable data protection legislation. The University also reserves the right to release appropriate and relevant information to a parent, guardian or sponsor of a student to ensure or facilitate payment of any fees due to the University.


HighďŹ eld Campus



Uni-link route map to Eastleigh - occasional journeys

ne La de

Wessex La d







ts H




Mo Lan usehole e

Townhill Park U9

venu e

Bevois Valley Rd



Wakefild Ro

ld fie ch ad Lit Ro



Cornwall Rd


Roa ood

d oa dR oo





Po rt




ill L

A The




Above Bar St Palmerston Rd


New Rd

Portland Terrace

Western Esplanade


East Park Terrace


d Plac

Royal South Hants Hospital











Hill Lane



Civic Centre


Leisure World

Southampton bus network city centre

bus stops

U1 U6

halls of residence

st Qu ay

High St


East St



U6 Ocean Village

ferry from Hythe Red Jet hi-speed ferry from West Cowes

Platform Rd


Central Rd

Town Quay




Road oad ue R Aven ad e Ro Lodg



St Denys station

therine’s Rd



St Denys Rd



U1 Southampton Central station trains from Bournemouth & the South Coast



Dimand Road


rs Rd

Wilton Ave

Commercial Rd

o stw

o dR






e tre



Hill Lane


Ja m

Boldrewood Campus

k Oa

Manor Farm








Highfield Hall


Avenue Campus

U1 U2

Avenue Campus




University Boat Hard

Neva Road




Por t






Stoneham South



Archers Road Halls Gateley Howard Rd

U1 U6 Wessex Lane Halls Connaught Montefiore



St Margaret’s House

WSA Campus

Swaythling station

La n Ro ghor ad n

U1 U2 U6 U9

Taunton’s College



NOCS Campus





Burgess Road

Highfield Campus

Southampton Common


t Rd



klin R




Hill La





n Av




e Warr



ess R






t Green

Honeysuckle Rd

eld R


Leaside Way


Glen Eyre Halls




Southampton Airport Parkway station trains from London the Midlands & the North










Bencraft Centre


The Avenue


le V alle




e ch


University Rd











Glen Eyre Road







Lobelia Rd

U9 Boldrewood Campus

Southampton General Hospital



Bassett Green

Glen Eyre Rd



Wide Lane Sports Ground tt







Stoneham Lane

Bassett Avenue

Bassett Heath Avenue

Midanbury Lane

Other University campuses

Dockgate 4 Tasman Court Halls

Highfield Campus where you’ll find most university facilities certain times only see U6 timetable

National Oceanography Centre

39 +44 (0)23 8059 5000

Welcome Guide 2009