The Swiss Path Lake Uri
The Swiss Path: “A magnificent part of Swiss heritage” On the occasion of the 7th centenary of the Swiss Confederation, a hiking trail – 35 km long – was built around the southernmost end of Lake Lucerne. Each canton is allocated a section of the path, each inhabitant represented by 5 mm.
For more information: IG Pro Weg der Schweiz P.O. Box 684, CH-6440 Brunnen Tel.: +41 41 825 00 46 Internet: www.weg-der-schweiz.ch E-mail: email@example.com Webcams: www.lakelucerne.ch, www.uri.info and www.seelisberg.com
Sections of the Path The sections between the various destinations can be combined freely and planned according to one’s abilities and the amount of time available. The Swiss Path can be walked in either direction. There are connections to the boat, bus or train at every destination; a hiking trip combined with these various means of transportation renders the excursion a great pleasure for young and old.
Rütli – Seelisberg Walking time: 60 minutes, 2.6 km Difference in altitude: 350 metres Forest path, gentle ascent. (Option: use the Treib – Seelisberg railway.)
Seelisberg – Bauen Walking time: 130 minutes, 6 km Difference in altitude: 350 metres Path with breathtaking panoramic view of Lake Uri. Steep descent with a stepped path to Bauen for the last 30 minutes. Accessible with prams/ buggies and wheelchairs: only Seelisberg – Marienhöhe – Wyssig
Offers and tips
History along the Swiss Path/ The legend of William Tell
Destinations on the path 01 Seelisberg Emmetten/Beckenried 02 Bauen/Isleten 03 Isenthal 04 Seedorf 05 Flüelen 06 Sisikon 07 Morschach-Stoos 08 Brunnen 09 Altdorf
7 – 15
9 – 12
7 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Museums in Schwyz
Pictures: perretfoto.ch; V. Marty, Bauen; P. Rüegger, SGV; TSB, Seelisberg; Tourist Info Uri
Bauen – Isleten Walking time: 40 minutes, 2.8 km Difference in altitude: 0 metres Flat, even path, mostly through galler ies (ideal for any weather conditions) and along the lakeside. Accessible with prams/buggies and wheelchairs.
Isleten – Seedorf – Flüelen Walking time: 120 minutes, 7.2 km Difference in altitude: 0 metres First along the lakeshore, then through a magnificent nature reserve on the Reuss delta, as well as Kneipp facili ties. Accessible with prams/buggies and wheelchairs.
Flüelen – Tellskapelle Walking time: 100 minutes, 4.7 km Difference in altitude: 75 metres Spectacular path through the breath taking scenery of the old Axenstrasse, slightly ascending and descending to the carillon.
Tellskapelle – Sisikon Walking time: 45 minutes, 3.5 km Difference in altitude: 75 metres Romantic path directly on Lake Uri. Final ascent to the Urnerloch before Sisikon. Accessible with prams/buggies and wheelchairs only from the Tellsplatte landing stage to the Tell Chapel.
Sisikon – Morschach – Brunnen Walking time: 170 minutes, 8 km Difference in altitude: 390 metres Ascent from Sisikon to the panorama vantage point near Morschach with fantastic views of the Alps, descent with romantic forest path from Morschach to Brunnen. Option for descent: bus Morschach – Brunnen.
Additional loop Bauen – Isenthal – Isleten Walking time: 180 minutes Difference in altitude: 400 metres Ascent and descent over mountain paths with beautiful vantage points. Relaxing walk through the valley between destinations. Options for ascent/descent: Postbus Isleten – Isenthal.
Historical information • Swiss History Forum www.forumschwyz.ch • Museum of Swiss Charters in Schwyz www.bundesbriefmuseum.ch • History Museum in Altdorf www.hvu.ch • Tell Museum in Bürglen www.tellmuseum.ch
m 18 m ck 29 Ur i 31 -R o m Sch tsto ck lier 2 92 en 9m 28 30 m Wi ssi gst ock En 28 ge 87 lbe m r g Tit er lis R o ts 32 38 toc m k2 8
m 86 29 gä llen
Bä lm ete
Wi nd Ch li
4m Piz Na ir 3 05 Bri 9m ste n3 07 3m Fed en sto ck 29 Sch 85 m ne eh üe ne Rie rst nze ock ns t 28 o 60 ck Jak m 2 o 9 62 Ge big ms er m 2 s 5 Ru tock 05 m 2 ch en 961 M ä 2628 m ntl ise m r2 87 6m Krö nte n3 10 8m Git sch en 25 13 m
m 87 31 gä llen Wi nd Gro ss
Hoch Fulen 2506 m Rophaien 2078 m Fronalpstock 1921 m
Oberbauenstock 2117 m
Niderbauen Chulm 1923 m
Seewlistock 1546 m
I 06 F
Brandegg 1108 m
Swissder Weg Path Schweiz Die offizielle The official hiking Wanderkarte map for für a truly den swiss schweizerischsten hiking trail aller Wanderwege at the im Detailmassstab detailed scale 1 :of 251000 : 25 000 Erhältlich at Available beitourist den Tourismusbüros, offices, boat stations, Schiffstationen, larger kiosks, bookstoresKiosken, grösseren and shops Buchhandlungen, as well as in selected Einkaufsgeschäften hotels around und einigen the Swiss HotelsPath rund and umonline den Weg at swisstopo.ch der Schweiz sowie online auf swisstopo.ch
1: 25 000
Ausgabe 2011 Edition 2011 Price:CHF CHF12.80 12.80 Preis:
Wanderkarte Carte pedestre
Weg der Schweiz Voie Suisse
Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft Confédération suisse Confederazione Svizzera Confederaziun svizra Federal Ofﬁce Topography swisstopo Bundesamt fürof Landestopograﬁe swisstopo www.swisstopo.ch
Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft Confédération suisse Confederazione Svizzera Confederaziun svizra
Bundesamt für Landestopografie swisstopo Office fédéral de topographie swisstopo Ufficio federale di topografia swisstopo Uffizi federal da topografia swisstopo
Public transport The Swiss Path can be easily reached on public transport. Trains go to Brunnen, Sisikon and Flüelen every half hour. Boats take visitors to Lake Uri from Lucerne and Beckenried. Seelisberg can be reached using the funicular railway from Treib or by train and PostBus via Stans. These excellent connections on the Swiss Path mean that every village can be either the starting-out point or destination, as you wish. Lake Lucerne Navigation Company Swiss Path one-day travelcard: a whole day of boat travel on Lake Uri including free travel on the Treib-Seelisberg funicular railway – perfect for all kinds of walking/sightseeing combinations! Winter hit! Lake Uri is served by two boats a day in winter, calling at a number of landing stages along the Swiss Path. In summer, boats call at Seedorf twice daily. Leaving from Lucerne, Beckenried, Brunnen and Flüelen, paddle steamers and cruisers serve the landing stages along the Swiss Path at onehourly intervals – great for planning excursions here throughout the year.
Timetable: 3600 Contact: Schifffahrtsgesellschaft Vierwaldstättersee Postfach, CH-6002 Luzern Tel. +41 41 367 67 67 Fax +41 41 367 68 68 Infomat +41 41 367 66 66 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.lakelucerne.ch
SBB – Swiss Federal Railways The express trains on the Gotthard line serve the stations of B runnen und Flüelen hourly. Additional regional trains which also stop in Sisikon allow train connections every half hour. Also the S-Bahn lines S2 (Zug – Erstfeld) and the S3 (Lucerne – Brunnen) go every hour and allow you to reach the Swiss Path (in conjunction with the express trains) every half hour. * S-Bahn trains stop at all stations.
Timetable: 600 Contact: SBB – Swiss Federal Railways Tel. +41 900 300 300 (CHF 1.19/min. from a Swiss landline) Internet www.sbb.ch www.sbb.ch/freizeit
PostAuto Schweiz AG The PostBus takes passengers from Altdorf or Flüelen into the wildly romantic Isenthal valley, high above the Swiss Path. Seelisberg can be reached on the country road by PostBus from Stans. In summer the PostBus goes from Flüelen via the Klausenpass to Glarus.
Timetable: 60.310, 60.311, 60.405, 60.541 Contact: PostAuto Schweiz AG Region Zentralschweiz, CH-6002 Luzern Tel. +41 58 448 06 22 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.postauto.ch
Treib-Seelisberg-Railway Throughout the year, the romantic funicular railway takes passengers from the landing stage at Treib to the Swiss Path at Seelisberg and back again. Save yourself the climb with the mountain railway! The Lake Uri day ticket is valid on the Treib-Seelisberg railway. Allinclusive group offer with Lake Uri lake trip and lunch.
Timetable: 2590 Contact: Treib-Seelisberg-Railway Bahnhof, CH-6377 Seelisberg Tel. +41 41 820 15 63 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.seelisberg.com
Auto AG Schwyz Buses operate in the Schwyz basin and take walkers from Brunnen direct to the entrance of the Swiss History Forum in Schwyz or to the high plateau of Morschach which has a connection to the aerial cableway to Stoos-Fronalpstock.
Timetable: 60.502, 60.504 Contact: Auto AG Schwyz Bahnhofstr. 4, Postfach 658, 6431 Schwyz Tel. +41 41 817 75 00 Fax +41 41 817 75 39 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.aags.ch
AUTO AG URI The bus service operated by AUTO AG URI is your doorway to the entire length of the Reuss Valley between Flüelen and Göschenen. It links Flüelen and Seedorf with the Uri cantonal capital of Altdorf and its history museum, and also goes to the William Tell museum in Bürglen.
Timetable: 60.401, 60.403 Contact: AUTO AG URI Ried 1, 6467 Schattdorf Tel. +41 41 874 72 72 Fax +41 41 874 72 74 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.aagu.ch
Training Climbing courses Alpine mountaineering Alpine hikes Glacier trekking Freeriding Ski touring Snowshoe tours Trekking oversea Expeditions Privat tours
[me?] Q QR-Code QR QRR Cod Co ode
T: +41 41 878 12 59 email@example.com www.bergerlebnisse.ch
Canton Schwyz â€“ wonderfully walkable
Schwyz hiking map
The new Canton Schwyz hiking map is out now. It contains all the information walkers need to know (scale 1: 50 000): base map, latest footpaths network, SwitzerlandMobility routes, public transport incl. cableways / railways, lake navigation and bus stops, etc. CHF 24.80 (plus postage)
Become a member !
The Verein Schwyzer Wanderwege [association of Schwyz footpaths] maintains the waymarking and checks the conditions of the paths. The paths need your support â€“ join the association! In exchange, you get the new map at a discount.
History along the Swiss Path Rütli
Haus zur Treib
A Pro Castle, Seedorf
The Rütli Meadow is considered to be the birthplace of the Swiss Confederation. Here, below Seelisberg, in a clearing slightly above Lake Uri on the opposite side of the lake from Brunnen and the Mythen mountains, is where representatives from the three founding cantons – Uri, Schwyz and Nidwalden – are said to have met on August 1, 1291 amidst continuing Habsburg repression to sign a pact of eternal mutual defence (the Rütli Oath), thereby laying the foundation of the Swiss Confederation as it stands today: “We want to be a band of brothers, sticking together through thick and thin!”. Over the years the Rütli has come to be seen as the national cradle of Switzerland. The meadow was purchased with the aid of a collection by schoolchildren in 1859 in order to protect it from proposed hotel building and subsequently donated to the state with the proviso that it should remain sacrosanct. The Rütli these days is a peaceful sanctuary on the lake. Nearby is the little Memo Museum commemorating Swiss history, an efficient restaurant, three springs and a large picnicking area. The Rütli is car-free and can be accessed only by boat or on foot via the Swiss Path from Seelisberg or Treib (walking time: one hour).
Treib has long had a harbour to protect lakefarers from the southerly winds (known here as the “Föhn”) that can whip up a storm on Lake Uri. First mentioned in 1482, the Haus zur Treib was the house in which the five-canton confederation held 72 sittings. The meeting room still forms part of the Haus zur Treib, now a hotel open to the public. The building has been sympathetically renovated over the years, most recently in 1982, and can be reached by boat, via the Treib-Seelisberg funicular railway or by car from Seelisberg.
This castle-like edifice (whose moat today teems with trout!) was built in 1556. The nobility whose seat it was amassed prestige and wealth by trading in cereals and wine and participating in wars. This little castle is today home to the Uri Mineral Museum and is used by the canton’s government for prestigious meetings and assemblies. It lies at the northern end of the village of Seedorf, right by the motorway flyover and not far from the Swiss Path. It is easily reached by car or bus from Altdorf.
Beroldingen Castle, Seelisberg
Legend has it that William Tell saved himself by leaping out of Bailiff Gessler’s boat in this corner of Lake Uri. A chapel was in existence here as early as 1388. The present-day chapel dates from 1879/80 and is decorated with four marvellous frescoes by Baselborn painter Ernst Stückelberg depicting the Tell myth, namely “The Rütli Oath”, “Shooting the Apple”, “Tell’s Leap” and “The Death of Gessler in the Hohle Gasse”. Just above the chapel is Switzerland’s biggest carillon: built in 2001, it plays one of a number of melodies every hour on the hour. Tell’s chapel can be reached by boat or on foot from the car park of Hotel Tellsplatte, which is on the Axenstrasse.
Schillerstein A 30 m tall obelisk-shaped boulder can be seen emerging from the water at the entrance to Lake Uri. Also known as the “Stone of Myths”, this rock was originally one third taller but had to be shortened for safety reasons. In 1859, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Friedrich Schiller – author of the drama Wilhelm Tell first premiered in 1804 in Weimar, Germany – Switzerland’s founding cantons decided that it should become a natural monument and renamed it “Schillerstein” (Schiller Stone). It bears the inscription (in German): “To the singer of Tell / F. Schiller / The Founding Cantons / 1859”. The Schillerstein cannot be reached by land, but is a stirring sight seen from the boat between Brunnen and the Rütli.
This little castle is on the old mule track that led from Lucerne via Seelisberg to Altdorf. Located on the Swiss Path at the southern end of the village, first mention of it is made in documents dated 1500. It was the ancestral seat of the Beroldinger line of nobles, who for centuries held sway in the Uri valley. Yet this is no fortress: rather, it is a charming country residence with exquisite views of Lake Uri and the Reuss Valley. Hugely appealing is the chapel dedicated to St. Laurence, which was added in 1545. Its winged altar, choir screen and ceiling decorated with Rococo stucco plasterwork are well worth a visit. Beroldingen Castle can be reached on foot in 30 minutes from the upper reaches of Seelisberg village (bus stop: Tanzplatz).
Father Alberik Zwyssig, composer of the national anthem A memorial to Father Alberik Zwyssig stands right in front of the church in Bauen. Born in 1808 in this sun-kissed village on the shores of Lake Uri, Father Zwyssig composed Switzerland’s national anthem “When the morning skies grow red”. Bauen can be reached by boat, or by car taking the lakeside road from Flüelen via Seedorf and Isleten.
The Federal Chapel, Brunnen Once the solemn pact, sworn in 1291 on the Rütli Meadow between the three founding cantons Uri, Schwyz und Nidwalden, had proved its worth in the Battle of Morgarten, the cantons gathered in Brunnen in 1315 to renew their oath of mutual assistance against foreign interference. From now on they called themselves “Confederates”. The village chapel in Brunnen, also known as the Federal Chapel, stands on the very spot where this second oath is said to have been sworn. It is located right by Brunnen’s landing stage stage and bus stop and is some seven minutes north of the railway station on the main street.
The Legend of William Tell With the receipt of an imperial charter in 1231, Uri was immediately placed under the emperor. The area of what is today central Switzerland had acquired political and economic importance with the opening of the Gotthard Pass at the beginning of the 13th century. Thus, both the dukes of Habsburg and the emperor wanted to increase their influence in Uri. Towards the end of the century, the Habsburgs were sent to the central cantons as governors appointed by the emperor with the objective of oppressing the population. Governor Hermann Gessler decided to test the allegiance of the people of Uri. He had a pole erected in the square of Altdorf with a Habsburg hat on top and ordered everyone who passed to doff their hats to it as a sign of respect. William Tell and his son Walter from Bürglen walked heedlessly past the hat – an act for which Tell was severely
TOURIST INFO URI Tellspielhaus Schützengasse 11, Postfach CH-6460 Altdorf
punished. He was ordered by the governor to shoot an apple off the head of his own son with a crossbow. The shot was true, and the arrow pierced the apple. Gessler did not miss the fact that Tell had placed two arrows in his quiver and asked the reason for this. Tell responded angrily that if his shot had missed the apple and hit his son, he would have used the second arrow to shoot Gessler. For this bold answer, Tell was put in chains and taken to Gessler’s boat in Flüelen, in order to then be taken to the fort at Küssnacht for life imprisonment. Just as the boat got underway, a violent storm broke over the lake and the boat threatened to capsize. Gessler and his men recognized that they were in a life-threatening situation. They released Tell, who was just as renowned as a helmsman as a marksman, from
Tel. +41 41 874 80 00 Fax +41 41 874 80 01 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.uri.info
his chains in order to be able to hold the boat on course. His sole objective was to reach the rock ledge on the Axen, with which he was so familiar. He steered the boat to the shore, seized his crossbow, jumped to the rock and gave the boat a mighty shove back out into the wind-whipped waters. Tell hurriedly took the shortest way to the “Hohle Gasse”, near Küssnacht, where he found and shot the tyrannical governor Gessler with the second arrow which he had hidden in his quiver in Altdorf. News of Tell’s act quickly spread through the entire country and strengthened the freedom and independence movement in the three original cantons in Switzerland.
Seelisberg is situated on a peninsula on Lake Lucerne directly above the Rütli Meadow. The wonderful panoramic view of the lake and mountains, the tranquil location as well as its natural environment and landscape are ideal conditions to tackle the stresses and strains of everyday life. Thanks to its central location, Seelisberg is the ideal starting point for trips on Lake Lucerne to the alpine passes, as well as other regions in Switzerland. Hotels
Sleep in the hayloft Hotel & Naturhaus Bellevue*** Tel. +41 41 825 66 66 Fax +41 41 825 66 67 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.bellevue-seelisberg.ch
Hotel Montana Tel. +41 41 820 12 68 Fax +41 41 820 12 69 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.montana-waldegg.ch
Hotel Tell E&G Tel. +41 41 820 12 67 Fax +41 41 820 37 36 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.hoteltell.ch
Seelisberg Tourismus Bahnhofplatz 1 CH-6377 Seelisberg
“Im Wissig” direct on the Swiss Path Family Ziegler-Bissig between Seelisberg and Bauen Tel. +41 41 820 21 41 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.stroh-traum.ch
Tel. +41 41 820 15 63 Fax +41 41 820 49 07 email@example.com www.seelisberg.com
Barbeque sites • Rütli • Village of Seelisberg (above church) • Children’s playground • Marienhöhe (Tannwald)
• Wyssig • Vantage point Hoch Flue • Bergseeli (at lakeside swimming area, admission: CHF 4.50)
Sights • Haus zur Treib: assembly hall for the old Swiss Confederation of 1482 • Rütli: peaceful forest glade above Lake Uri; considered to be the place where Switzerland was founded in 1291 • Schillerstein: memorial stone for Friedrich Schiller, author of the drama “Wilhelm Tell” in 1859 • Aschwanden cheese dairy: Mountain cheeses in a variety of flavors; guided tours
• Beroldingen castle: small castle (1500), located on the Swiss Path to Bauen with a Rococo altar in the chapel • Pilgrimage chapel: Maria Sonnenberg chapel, built in 1666, with painting of the Virgin Mary dating from 1350, Virgin Mary carillon made in 1384, votive candles and beautiful choir railing • “Schiller-Balkon”: terrace with panoramic view of the scene of Friedrich Schiller’s legend of William Tell
Beckenried-Emmetten Beckenried and Emmetten lie directly on and above Lake Lucerne – centrally located with an exit on the A2. Relaxing and active holidays in summer and winter, ideal starting point for a hike along the Swiss Path ... GOLDI Safari from Beckenried
16-hole minigolf in Beckenried
A very special safari: aerial cableway from Beckenried to Klewenalp, a marvellous 1½ hour walk to Stockhütte, then a gondola trip to Emmetten, a bus to Seelisberg, the funicular railway to Treib and finally a boat back to Beckenried. Especially good for families; special tickets and details from the Beckenried tourist office.
A great way to end any excursion – a round of minigolf in Beckenried. Lovely park-like setting with coffee corner and small kiosk for snacks. There’s an inviting little beach and bathing area just below the minigolf, complete with a restaurant – just right for swimming and relaxing.
Emmetten – summer and winter holiday paradise Countless footpaths and trails, a mountain biking arena with natural bike park, wood trail and bike routes, Goldi Family Safari – the summer round-trip, magnificent distant views from Niederbauen or the Stockhütte, 40 km of well-prepared slopes for every kind of winter sport, snow sport school with snow kindergarten, attractive winter packages incl. ski pass, Summer Children’s Circus Festival, etc. Welcome to the holiday paradise that’s way above the ordinary!
Tourismus Emmetten Hinterhostattstrasse 4 CH-6376 Emmetten
Tel. +41 41 620 15 64 Fax +41 41 620 07 64 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.tourismus-emmetten.ch
Where to stay: Beckenried Hotel Nidwaldnerhof *** Hotel-Rest. Rössli *** Boutique-Hotel Schlüssel Hotel + Pension Rigi Pension Seeblick B & B Bauernhof Bächli B & B Spazig Gästehaus
+41 41 620 52 52 +41 41 624 45 11 +41 41 622 03 33 +41 41 620 12 51 +41 41 620 15 05 +41 41 620 64 68 +41 41 620 25 00
www.nidwaldnerhof.ch www.roessli-beckenried.ch www.schluessel-beckenried.ch email@example.com www.seeblick-beckenried.ch www.bnb-beckenried.ch www.spazig.ch
Swiss Path package: Beckenried 1 night (DR/breakfast) incl. Beckenried–Flüelen boat trip to walk along the Swiss Path. From CHF 87 with SBB’s Half- Fare Card or from CHF 100 without. Info: www.tourismus-beckenried.ch
Where to stay: Emmetten Hotel Engel +41 41 620 13 54 Hotel Post +41 41 620 13 51 Hotel SEEBLiCK +41 41 624 41 41 Berggasth. Stockhütte +41 41 620 53 63 Berggasth. Niederbauen +41 41 620 23 63
Tourismus Beckenried-Klewenalp Seestrasse 1, Schiffstation CH-6375 Beckenried
www.engel-emmetten.ch www.hotel-post.ch www.hotelseeblick.ch www.stockhuette.ch www.berggasthaus-niederbauen.ch
Tel. +41 41 620 31 70 Fax +41 41 620 32 05 firstname.lastname@example.org www.tourismus-beckenried.ch
Bauen/Isleten The South begins in Bauen! Bauen – a village in bloom. Thanks to its location on the sheltered bay on the western shore of Lake Uri, Bauen enjoys a particularly mild climate. Southern vegetation such as palm trees, fig and banana trees bloom here – and even bear fruit. Isleten – a paradise for windsurfers. There is also a cliff climbing facility here. At both locations there is a landing stage, as well as public swimming facilities. The Bernese section of the Swiss Path features rotating wooden disks depicting scenes of everyday life in the Bern region. www.bauen-ur.ch
Excursions/Museums • Boat trip on Lake Lucerne • Hiking on the Swiss Path • Isleten: public swimming facilities with grill site, toilets at the Hotel/ Restaurant Seegarten • Bauen: public swimming facilities, grill site, playground 200 m away, changing cabins and toilets • Various hiking trails in the direction of Isenthal, Seelisberg or Seedorf • Church of St. Ida, built in the 18th century in the classicist style • Monument to Father Alberick Zwyssig, composer of the Swiss national anthem • 45-min guided tours. For more details: www.bauen-ur.ch (click on “Tourismus”)
Hotels Hotel Schiller Tel. +41 41 878 11 55 Fax +41 41 878 10 55 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.hotel-schiller.ch
Zwyssighaus Guesthouse Your home-from-home in Bauen, with good food and wine all year round. Fine fare in the birthplace of Alberik Zwyssig, composer of the Swiss national anthem.
Hotel/Restaurant Seegarten Tel. +41 41 878 11 05 Fax +41 41 878 11 04 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.seegarten-isleten.ch
Opening hours: Wed – Sun 11.30 am – 11 pm Mon – Tue closed Tel. +41 41 878 11 77 Internet www.zwyssighaus.ch
© Tourist Info Uri
© Tourist Info Uri
Experience Swiss history and myths in the birthplace of the Swiss Confederation and stay overnight right on the Swiss Path. «Tell» package • •
2 nights in a 4-star hotel including breakfast buffet 1-day travelpass for the Lake of Uri (Urnersee) from the Lake Lucerne shipping company Treib-Seelisberg railway Schwyz museum pass (Swiss National Museum, Museum of Swiss Charters [Bundesbriefarchiv], the Ital Reding Estate) Free admission to the adventure pool Free admission to the saunas
Swiss Holiday Park CH-6443 Morschach www.swissholidaypark.ch Telephone 041 825 51 00 or e-mail email@example.com
F 255 pe
On the trail of the Swiss Confederation
TOURIST INFO URI Tellspielhaus Schützengasse 11, Postfach CH-6460 Altdorf
Tel. +41 41 874 80 00 Fax +41 41 874 80 01 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.uri.info
Monuments along the Swiss Path by Eduard Müller
The Rütli The Rütli Meadow is a slice of countryside that was landscaped in the 19th century. As a park, it was laid out to offer sightlines between its constituent parts and groups of trees; the Place of the Oath, the Rütlihaus – a restaurant – and the stables also form part of this scenic arrangement. The name Rütli indicates that the area was originally a clearing in the woods used by farmers. From the 15th century onwards it was where the Old Confederates gathered during their struggle for independence. It is popularly held to be where the legendary oath of the Old Confederacy was taken, the exact spot being marked by three springs. The meadow was purchased by the Swiss Public Welfare Society in 1858 to protect it from proposed hotel building. The funds for the purchase were raised by Swiss schoolchildren. The Rütli Meadow was thereafter subjected to some sympathetic landscaping, and several thousand trees and bushes were planted around its perimeter. The modifications were supervized by renowned architects of the day. Even the German architect and theorist, Gottfried Semper (1803 – 1879), submitted
two proposals for the design of the Place of the Oath. In the end, though, it was decided to go with a natural solution: a block of limestone was brought over from Schwyz, and the three springs can still be seen emerging from it to this day. The Rütlihaus, a neat timber structure in the style of a traditional Uri farmhouse, was erected in 1868/69 after plans by the Swiss architect, Johann Meier. Patrons of the restaurant are serving guests in its two ornately appointed parlours – these are well worth a visit – as well as on the terrace with its magnificent views. The landing stage, taking the form of an open-ended timber hall, was erected in 1913 after plans by August Am Rhyn.
The Schiller Stone The obelisk-shaped boulder seen emerging from the water at the entrance to Lake Uri is a natural phenomenon; originally between 34 and 40 metres in height, it bore the name “Stone of Myths”. Explosives were used in 1838 to lop off the top third of the boulder to lessen the risk to shipping of rock falls. It was in 1859, at the festivities on the Rütli Meadow marking the 100th anniversary of the birth of Friedrich Schiller – author of the drama Wilhelm Tell first premiered in 1804 – that the council leader of Schwyz, Carl Styger, proposed dedicating the boulder to the playwright. The monument, newly renamed the Schiller Stone, was inaugurated on 21 October 1860 in the
presence of a flotilla of festive decked-out vessels of all sizes. Picked out in gilded stone, the inscription it bears in German reads: TO THE SINGER OF TELL / F. SCHILLER / THE FOUNDING CANTONS / 1859.
Maria Sonnenberg Chapel – Seelisberg The origins of this place of pilgrimage reach back centuries. Legend has it that the devotional image of Mary – a Madonna carved out of lime wood in 1350 – was found by a shepherd boy in the woods. To begin with the figure was venerated in a tree, before being housed first in a timber chapel, then a stone edifice erected in 1588/89. The chapel that can be seen today – a simple baroque affair with a striking porch – stems from 1666. It is interestingly appointed. Particularly worthy of note is the quality of the picture in the high altar: by Francesco Torriani, it depicts the threefold crowning
of the Blessed Mary by God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amongst the treasures of the chapel are a richly ornamented choir screen and numerous votive offerings testifying to the miraculous effect of the Madonna.
Beroldingen Castle – Seelisberg Benefitting from exquisite views of Lake Uri and the Reuss Valley, this little castle was once the ancestral seat of the noble von Beroldingen family of Uri. At its core still a medieval feudal structure, the edifice received its present appearance in the 16th and 17th centuries. The chapel appended to the south side is
open throughout the day. Its winged altar (1618) and late-gothic statues of Sts. Thomas and Laurentius are well worth a visit.
The Haus zur Treib Treib has long had a harbour to protect lakefarers from the treacherous Föhn winds. It is presumed that there has always been a ferry linking this side of the lake with Brunnen, and there is evidence of an inn here dating from the Middle Ages. It burned down in the winter of 1657/58. Its replacement, on which work started immediately, already had a roof in 1658. Following heated discussions, the dilapidated structure was pulled down in 1902 and rebuilt. Prof. Josef Zemp, Chair of the Federal Commission of Historic Monuments, tried in vain to have the historic edifice preserved. The rebuild, undertaken in 1903 under
the supervision of the Zurich architect Eugen Probst, adopted the same shape and size as the old building. Its re-emergence signalled the resumption of meetings involving the cantons of the Old Confederation and other federal events.
Isleten – Isenthal valley There is evidence of the existence of commercial activity on the Isleten promontory dating from the 16th century, initially connected with the local iron ore. Later, the first half of the 19th century witnessed the arrival of saw mills to the area. The well-known Uri council leader and engineer, Carl Emanuel Müller, acquired the various estates in 1851, which allowed him to exploit the timber-rich region and establish a paper factory. The use of August Nobel’s invention, dynamite, in the building of the Gotthard railway line up the Reuss valley from 1872 onwards called for a local production site: the choice fell on Isleten. Alfred Nobel oversaw the founding and equipping in 1873 of a manufacturing facility: “AG der Schweizerischen Dynamit- und Chemische Producten Fabrik Isleten”. The firm was acquired in 1916 by “Schweizerische Sprengstoff AG Cheddite Liestal-Isleten”, which made industrial explosives until 2001. It continues to manufacture nitroglycerin for the pharmaceutical industry. In 1945 the Uri artist, Heinrich Danioth, used the technique known as sgrafitto to apply a portrait of St. Barbara, patron saint of miners, to the exterior wall of the canteen building, which stands directly on the shore of the lake.
The Isleten promontory belongs to the municipality of Bauen and, until 1951, was accessible only by water and footpaths. The wild and romantic Isenthal Valley above Lake Uri can be reached via a breathtaking mountain road, opened in 1901. The valley’s principal landmark is the church of St. Theodul: consecrated in 1821, it was built in the late classical style after plans by Brother Jakob Natter, a monk from Einsiedeln. Next to the church lies the neatly arranged graveyard and the 17th century parish house with its 18th century annexe, known as the Bishop’s Room.
Bauen The village of Bauen is known far and wide for its picture-postcard appearance. This little gem of a lakeside resort is home to a number of monuments, and the mild, southern alpine-like climate allows palms to grow in the gardens. Today a well-kept guesthouse featuring a historical interior, the Zwyssighaus is the birthplace of Father Alberik Zwyssig, composer of the Swiss national anthem. His bust by Hugo Siegwart dating from 1901 stands before the house. The Catholic parish church of St. Idda is built in the classical style right by the lake. The church has an important interior, with ceiling
paintings by Josef Anton Mesmer, stuccowork and altars by Johann Josef Moosbrugger, and an outstanding altarpiece by Johann Michael Feichtmayer: dating from 1706, this depicts St. Idda making her way to church by night, accompanied by a stag bearing candles on its antlers.
A Pro Castle – Seedorf This picturesque moated castle-like edifice was built between 1555 and 1562 by the influential army captain, Peter A Pro. Its architecture reflects a blend of styles borrowed from the late gothic and the renaissance periods. Now used as a restaurant, its rooms feature renaissance panelled ceilings; some rooms have wall panels and ancient door surrounds, as well as a tower stove. The green room, which is used for weddings, features
murals depicting scenes from the Old Testament dating from around 1686. Frescoes can be seen in the corridor on the ground floor: these originated from the second Tell Chapel.
Convent of St. Lazarus – Seedorf In 1197 the crusader Arnold von Brienz endowed a house in Seedorf dedicated to the Military and Hospitaler Order of Saint Lazarus, which was founded to succour the sick and the poor – outcasts in particular. The community was struck by a plague in 1518. In 1559 the Pope instructed nuns from the Benedictine convent of Claro, near Bellinzona, to re-establish a religious presence in the region. The convent of St. Lazarus remains a vibrant part of the community to this day. The three wings of the building enclose a courtyard, on the south side of which stands the church. This was erected in 1695/96 under the supervision of the priest and amateur architect, Johann Jakob Scolar. Built in the Voralberg pilaster church style and featuring a tambour cupola in the Italian tradition, it has a
stucco ceiling and paintings courtesy of artists from the Ticino. The outstanding altarpiece depicting the resurrection of St. Lazarus is by Dionys Calvaert and is dated 1598. Both architecture and interior conspire to create a wonderfully festive impression.
Flüelen The history of Flüelen goes back a long way. Situated at the head of Lake Uri, it was where goods were transferred between lake-going boats and horses or mules in preparation for the journey across the Alps south of here. Making the journey in the opposite direction were luxury goods, cereals, spices, wine and salt. Rudenz Castle, which once stood on the edge of the lake, dates from this time. Artisans also benefited from the lake as a means of transporting goods. Flüelen, for instance, boasted a brickworks – its buildings and ovens remain extant. The latter half of the 19th century saw tourism flourish, and this continued right up to the outbreak of the First World War. Imposing hotels – now serving other purposes – were built. The Gotthard railway was opened in 1882, an event that saw Flüelen enter a new chapter in its history. Visitors could now arrive and depart by boat and train. High above the village, the architect Paul Siegwart built a
new parish church (1910 – 1912) in the Beuron style, a blend of neo-romanesque Germanic mixed with Byzantine elements. The church replaced the old baroque church of Sts. Georg and Nikolaus; dating from 1663/64 and featuring a good-quality rococo interior, this now serves cultural purposes. Flüelen received a new trim, functional station in 1944; its waiting room features an atmospheric mural titled Föhnwacht [Föhn Watch], the work of the distinguished artist, Heinrich Danioth.
Tell’s Chapel Dedicated to St. Sebastian, the chapel stands on the spot where, as legend would have it, Wilhelm Tell leaped to freedom from Bailiff Gessler’s boat on Lake Uri, pushing his captors away from the shore before making good his escape. A chapel was in existence here as early as 1388 according to the 15th century White Book of Sarnen, the most important collection of manuscripts documenting the early freedom struggles of the Swiss Confederation. A second chapel was erected in 1590 and consisted of two open arcades standing in the tradition of Central Swiss ossuaries. The presentday chapel, the third, adopted a similar design and
was built in 1879/80 after plans by Ludwig Isidor Sutter. The monumental frescoes completed by Ernst Stückelberg in 1880 – 1882 depict scenes from the Tell myth, namely “The Rütli Oath”, “Shooting the Apple”, “Tell’s Leap” and “The Death of Gessler in the Hohle Gasse”. A pilgrimage to the chapel involving local people takes place every spring.
Morschach This popular spa overlooking Lake Uri has witnessed immense growth in recent dec ades. Early tourism also had a marked impact on the village, as can be seen from the numerous buildings dating from the 19th and early 20th centuries. The Catholic parish church of St. Gallus is late gothic in style, although the thoroughgoing baroque treatment of its interior dates from 1771 onwards. In doing so, renowned artists adopted a flamboyant yet
high quality rococo style to decorate the space. The ossuary of St. Jakobus dates from 1555 – 1557. Also in the possession of the parish is the countrified parish house built in 1685.
Brunnen Protected by a wooden palisade, Brunnen in the Middle Ages was a harbour and fishing community that benefited early on from the movement of goods and people across the Gotthard massif. A devastating fire in 1620 destroyed a large part of the village. Following this, the council leader, Heinrich Reding, established a foundation with the aim of erecting a chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity; his son, Wolf Dietrich Reding, supervised its building in 1632. Also known as the Federal Chapel, it com memorates the renewal of the oath of mutual assistance against foreign interference sworn by the three founding cantons Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalden in the aftermath of the battle of Morgarten in 1315.
Compiled by: Dr. Eduard Müller, Canton Uri Department of Nature and Heritage; Photos: Julia Neumann and www.seelisberg.com
The early baroque sandstone portals under the pilaster porch are richly adorned with angel heads. The interior dates from various eras and features, in particular, an outstanding altarpiece depicting the Ecclesia, which was completed in 1642 by a pupil of Rubens, the Dutchman Justus van Egmont. Imposing hotels appeared along the lakefront in the latter half of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries, amongst them the former Grand Hotel (1903/04), which lived up to its name as the grandest establish-
ment on Lake Lucerne. This magnificent edifice with its slightly offset wings was designed by Emil Vogt, a specialist in hotel architecture. It now houses apartments. The former hotel park contains the Villa Gutenberg, in which the Bavarian King Ludwig II resided in 1881. The painter Alfred Schoeck had the late classical Villa Ruhheim built in 1881/82; this was where his son, the celebrated composer Othmar Schoeck, spent his childhood.
Museums in Schwyz Swiss History Forum
Museum of Swiss Charters Swiss history trail
History between myth and reality
An exhibition tracing the emergence of Switzerland since the days of the Old Confederation features virtual guides, innovative multimedia stations and objects of value. Visitors to the museum receive an immersive medieval experience: they encounter a knight on horseback ready to do battle, hear a monk dictating a text in the scriptori-um, and meet a trader and his mules on the Devil’s Bridge. The story of the emergence of Switzerland is laid out along a trail; its enhanced emotional appeal is attractive to visitors of all ages. Contact: Hofmatt/Zeughausstrasse 5, 6430 Schwyz Tel. +41 41 819 60 11, Fax +41 41 819 60 10 E-mail: ForumSchwyz@snm.admin.ch, Internet: www.forumschwyz.ch Tours, workshops, events Opening hours: Tuesday – Sunday, 10 am – 5 pm
Information & guided tours 12
The Federal Charter of 1291 is Switzerland’s bestknown document and played a central role in the country’s history. But is the Charter really the founding document of the Federation? What is the current view of the confeder-ation, the Rütli Oath, the various battles, the heroes? Contact: Bahnhofstrasse 20, 6430 Schwyz, Tel. +41 41 819 20 64, Fax +41 41 819 20 69 E-mail: email@example.com, Internet: www.bundesbriefmuseum.ch Tours by appointment Tue – Fri, 9 – 11.30 am and 1.30 – 5 pm Sat/Sun November to April, 1.30 – 5 pm Sat/Sun May to October, 9 am – 5 pm
Info Schwyz Tourismusbüro, Bahnhofstrasse 4, Postfach 655, CH-6431 Schwyz Tel. +41 41 810 19 91, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Internet: www.info-schwyz.ch
Isenthal, at 778 m, is on the edge of the Swiss Path, away from the hustle and bustle. It is a destination for excursions with many hiking and climbing possibilities. Isenthal can be reached from Bauen on the Swiss Path via the old Bauen – Bärchi – Isenthal – Isleten road, by Postbus on the Altdorf – Flüelen – Isleten – Isenthal – St. Jakob route, or by car over the imposing mountain road. Above Lake Uri, Isenthal is a prime location for hiking and climbing. A visit is certainly worth your while.
Hotels/Holiday apartments Hotel Urirotstock Tel. +41 41 878 11 52 Fax +41 41 878 13 33 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.urirotstock.ch
Gasthaus Tourist Tel. +41 41 878 11 51 Fax +41 41 878 08 51 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.gasthaustourist.ch
• Gitschenen • Gietisfluh • Fuggelen • Musenalp
• Parish church with the old parsonage • Ringli House on the old road • St. Jakob chapel • Gitschenen mountain chapel
Restaurant Alpstubli Gitschenen Savour the hospitality and good food of the cosy Gitschenen alpine parlour. The spacious terrace is perfect for relaxing in the fresh mountain air. The management and staff look forward to your visit. Tel. +41 41 878 00 92
Excursion Oberbolgen alpine dairy Run by Monika and Daniel Walker-Arnold, the dairy is open in the summer for cheese and wonderful views. Located on the Gitschenen – Hinter Jochli – Klewenalp hiking trail. Tel. +41 41 871 38 63 E-mail email@example.com
Berggasthaus Gitschenen Rooms and dormitories Tel. +41 41 878 11 58 Fax +41 41 878 10 38 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.gitschenen.ch Brunniblick holiday apartments You’ll love our comfortable, sunny apartments. If nature’s your thing, this is the place to be. Tel. +41 41 878 14 07
Alpine accommodations Berggasthaus Musenalp (Summer only)
Gitschenhörelihütte (mountain hut) No warden; obtain key at:
Tel. +41 41 878 11 22 Tel. +41 79 379 16 66 www.musenalp-isenthal.ch
Tel. +41 41 878 11 62 (summer) Tel. +41 41 878 11 27 (winter) Berggasthaus Biwaldalp (Summer only)
Schweigmatt holiday apartment Quiet delightfully located house with two lovely, comfor-tably appointed 3-room apartments with separate entrance and sitting area. Bed linen, bath and kitchen towels provided. Tel. +41 55 412 44 77 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.fewo-direct.de/ferienwohnungschweigmatt-isenthal
Tel. +41 41 878 11 62 (summer) Tel. +41 41 878 14 30 (winter) Dormitory and rooms
Dormitory accommodations Turnhalle Isenthal Dormitory accommodations for maximum 38 guests; cooking facilities Tel. +41 79 482 03 00 Fax +41 41 878 10 71 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.isenthal.ch Naturfreundehaus St. Jakob 28 beds in 6 rooms, ample kitchen, playground; ideal for school trips, vacation camps, family gettogethers, etc. Tel. +41 79 383 62 52 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.naturfreunde-cham.ch
Isenthal Tourismus CH-6461 Isenthal
Gitschenen Aerial Cable Car • A sunny, recreational area with beautiful walks in the midst of a magnificent mountain setting • Circular walk with nature trail and grill sites • Pistes for both snowboarding and skiing • Starting point for ski tours and snowshoe treks Tel. +41 41 878 01 80 www.seilbahn-skilift-gitschenen.ch
Tel. +41 79 510 49 58 Fax +41 41 878 13 33 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.isenthal.ch
Seedorf is often called Lake Uri’s little cultural and leisure centre. And rightly so, for within its community there are a great number of historical buildings to be seen, for example, the churches of St. Ulrich and St. Verena, the tower of Seedorf, the small A Pro castle with its moat, as well as the St. Lazarus monastery, which is considered to be the most beautiful Baroque building in the region of Uri. Seedorf is also a paradise for those looking for relaxation and sporting activities: a sports field with running track, two sports halls with various facilities, a Vita Parcours, a hall for roller hockey, a tennis hall with two indoor and three outdoor courts, a public outdoor swimming area with beach volleyball, islands for observing nature and swimming, as well as horse riding. Vacation house
Leisure activities • Tour of the village with its historical sights: the 17th century Benedictine monastery of St. Lazurus, the 13th century Baroque parish church, the 16th century A Pro castle with its moat, and the 800-year-old tower of Seedorf. • Reuss delta nature reserve with a variety of swimming areas, nature islands and grill sites
• Hiking or biking along the Reuss • Cycling tour in the Gitschen valley • Ride on the cable car to the Gitschen mountain starting point for various walks • Schopflibach riding school Tel. +41 79 619 12 84
Carmen youth and holiday home Fully wheelchair accessible accommodation with modern kitchen for groups of up to 44. E-mail email@example.com Internet www.jufh-carmen.ch
Hotel/Restaurant/Bakery Gasthaus Rössli Spacious reception room and parlor, seats 150, ample car park, parking for campervans, sun terrace. Traditional Ländler music every Wed. evening (Nov–April). Tel. +41 41 870 25 01 Mobile +41 79 213 47 16 Seerestaurant Located directly on the Swiss Path, self-service restaurant with swimming area and large terrace. Tel. +41 41 870 72 72 Internet www.gotthardraststaette.ch
Highlights Uri Mineral Museum Around 400 valuable mountain crystals, special exhibit and slide show. Opening hours: mid-May to mid-Oct, every Thurs, Sat & Sun, 1 – 5 pm. Contact: Urner Mineralienfreunde Tel. +41 41 870 44 80/+41 79 388 71 46 Internet www.mineralienfreund.ch “A Pro” castle A shining example of the Baroque era is this picturesque house surrounded by water in the lower village. Contact: Tel. +41 41 870 65 32 or +41 41 875 26 53 Internet www.schlossapro.ch or www.seedorf-uri.ch St. Lazarus Convent Founded in 1200; home to 18 Benedictine nuns; the only convent in the canton of Uri. Further details: www.kloster-seedorf.ch
Gitschenberg aerial cableway Take the cable car up Mt. Gitschenberg; trails and walks via Mt. Honegg into Gitschental valley. Food at the top terminus and on the Honegg. Contact: Tel. +41 41 871 10 62
Alp Honegg Superb views at alt. 1427 m; small mountain restaurant with terrace and overnight facilities for 4.
Restaurant Mätteli Good traditional fare, seats up to 100. Specialty: Chicken in a basket Tel. +41 41 870 81 04
“A Pro” castle The castle became a guild restaurant in 2009. It offers a historical setting and wholesome seasonal fare based on local produce. Tel. +41 41 870 65 32 Internet www.schlossapro.ch Restaurant Waldheim “Chez Gerlinde” You’ll feel at home in this centrally located traditional establishment with its idyllic garden. Restaurant. Also popular with bikers. Specialties: Chicken in a basket, fish dishes, etc. Tel. +41 41 870 22 35 Spezialitäten-Bäckerei zur Post The Baggenstos family, specialist craft bakers, has been trading for decades. On request: free coffee in the adorable Café Eggä. Specialties: Local Birewegge pear bread, nut croissants, etc. Tel. +41 79 447 05 60 Company Lodge in Seedorf Golf and Lodge at Lake Uri Tel. +41 41 875 00 40 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.company-lodge.ch
Further details: www.alporama.ch
Gemeinde Seedorf Gemeindekanzlei CH-6462 Seedorf
Tel. +41 41 874 10 10 Fax +41 41 874 10 11 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.seedorf-uri.ch
The little harbour town of Flüelen in Canton Uri lies on the Gott hard route, and as such has always benefited from good transport connections. Along with its charming lakeside promenade, it is popular for its many sports both land-based and water-borne. Flüelen is an ideal setting-off point for leisurely day trips. Being at the halfway point of the Swiss Path, it is popular as a stop-over. Restaurants Urnerhof, Wirtschaft zum Chuchichessi In the heart of the village, Swiss cuisine, open 7 days a week in high season. Tel. +41 41 872 10 20 Internet www.urnerhof.ch
• Lake Lucerne boat trip • Eggberge aerial cableway • Oberaxen aerial cableway
Try something new! How about following the Swiss Path – but in a canoe or kayak. Experience the feeling of freedom and tranquillity in the midst of an imposing mountainscape.
Sights • “Föhnwacht” painting by H. Danioth, train station • Rudenz castle • “Schwurhände” iron sculpture • Kneipp hydrotherapy centre by the lake • Flood protection trail in Uri’s River Reuss delta • Lakeside lido on the Swiss Path
Contact: Windsurfing Lake Uri Tel. +41 41 870 92 22 firstname.lastname@example.org www.windsurfing-urnersee.ch
Bistro Flüelen Unique restaurant located directly on the lake, with wonderful panoramic view, garden restaurant, children’s play area with bumper cars, self-service. Tel. +41 41 870 05 10 Internet www.tavolacatering.ch Restaurant Schützenstube At the southern entrance to the village; outstanding local cuisine with chicken-in-a-basket. Closed on Sundays from 6 pm and Mondays. Tel./Fax +41 41 870 12 57 Restaurant MIXX Centrally located with views of the lake, serves varied, interesting fare in its panorama room and garden terrace. Tel. +41 41 872 12 12 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.restaurant-mixx.ch
Hotels Hostellerie Sternenl*** Tel. +41 41 875 03 03 Fax +41 41 875 03 05 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.bonetti.ch
Hotel Flüelerhof Grill Rustico Tel. +41 41 871 14 71 Fax +41 41 870 00 14 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.flueelerhof-rustico.ch
Hotel Hirschen*** Tel. +41 41 870 12 01 Fax +41 41 871 03 77 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.hirschen-fluelen.ch
Hotel Weisses Kreuz-Schweizerhof Hotel, Restaurant, Pizzeria Tel. +41 41 870 17 17 Fax +41 41 870 17 75 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.weisseskreuz-fluelen.ch
Hotel Tourist Tel. +41 41 874 00 50 Fax +41 41 874 00 60 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.hotel-tourist.ch
Gasthaus zur Rose Thai cuisine Tel. +41 41 870 12 56 Fax +41 41 870 12 56 Internet www.rose-fluelen.ch
Windsurfing Urnersee – camping • Canoe/kayak rentals, windsurfing centre, campsite • Follow the Swiss Path in a canoe or kayak • Take time off from your walk around Lake Uri – pay us a visit and drink in the amazing views of Uri’s mountains • Open daily Contact: Windsurfing Lake Uri Unterer Winkel 11, 6454 Flüelen Tel. +41 41 870 92 22 Fax +41 41 870 92 16 email@example.com www.windsurfing-urnersee.ch
TOURIST INFO URI c/o SBB Bahnhof Flüelen CH-6454 Flüelen
Tel. +41 41 874 80 00 Fax +41 41 874 80 01 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.uri.info
Weather camera, Flüelen: www.windsurfing-urnersee.ch 15
Sisikon (453 m), the gateway to Uri, is an ideal vacation spot in which to stop along the Gotthard route, with fabulous views of the lake and mountains and a variety of hiking and excursion possibilities. Historic sites (Tell Chapel, Rütli, Treib, Tell Monument) in the in the three original cantons of Switzerland can easily be reached by boat, car or train from here. B etween the Tell Chapel and Sisikon on the Swiss Path there are several barbeque sites directly on the lake. In Sisikon one can take a refreshing swim.
• Aerial cable car to the Axen • Panorama path • Crossing by boat to the Rütli • Nostalgic rides on steamboats
• Panorama path along the lake • Mountain hike on the Rophaien (2078 m) • Various hikes starting from the Lidernen SAC hut • Short hike to Tellsplatte (45 minutes)
Sights • Largest carillon in Switzerland; located below Hotel Tellsplatte • William Tell Chapel
Hotels Hotel Tellsplattel*** Tel. +41 41 874 18 74 Fax +41 41 874 18 75 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.tellsplatte.ch
Highlights • Private boat harbor • Beautiful lakeside promenade • Disabled WC at station
Hotel Eden Tel. +41 41 820 41 41 Fax +41 41 820 51 06 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.hotel-eden-sisikon.ch
Restaurant Bären Bahnhofstrasse 6, Sisikon
Hotel Axenstrasse Tel. +41 41 820 10 58
Restaurants/Groceries Laterne Pizzeria italiana da Bruno Pizza baked in wood oven Tel. +41 41 820 26 55 Restaurant/Snackbar Tellsplatte Comfortable self-service restaurant directly adjacent to the Tellsplatte landing stage on the Swiss Path. Restaurant seats 20 guests, outdoor terrace seats 80.
Tel. +41 41 820 52 74 email@example.com Bäckerei Jud Sisikon/Morschach Obere Dorfstrasse 6 Hotel Sternen Tel. +41 41 820 17 04 Fax +41 41 820 17 04 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Tourist provisions Tel. +41 41 820 18 17
Tel. +41 41 870 30 52 Internet www.seerest-tellsplatte.ch
Camping Camping Bucheli Idyllically situated campground on the lake surrounded by mountains. Limited space; reservation recommended. Tel. +41 79 387 07 51 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.camping-bucheli.ch
Sisikon Tourismus CH-6452 Sisikon
Tel. +41 41 820 30 00 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.sisikon.ch
Morschach-Stoos A paradise for families and hiking high above Lake Lucerne offering wonderful panoramic views, well-maintained hiking and walking paths, various mountain railway options, generous health and spa landscapes, and a very varied sport and leisure programme (in- and outdoor). Morschach and the car-free mountain village of Stoos in the heart of central Switzerland are also child-friendly, good value for money and versatile – in winter, too! Restaurants in Morschach Hirschen: Atmospheric restaurant, closed Monday and Tuesday. Let us indulge you! Tel. +41 41 820 32 44
Hotels in Morschach Swiss Holiday Parkl**** Tel. +41 41 825 50 50 Fax +41 41 825 50 05 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.swissholidaypark.ch
Rütlistube at Mattli Antoniushaus: Restaurant with panorama terrace for views of Lake Uri and the mountains. Open daily. Tel. +41 41 820 22 26 Nägelisgärtli: Cozy lounge with house smoked specialties, farm-made dairy ice cream, closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tel. +41 41 820 54 58
Mattli Antoniushaus (Seminarhotel) Tel. +41 41 820 22 26 Fax +41 41 820 11 84 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.antoniushaus.ch
Apart Holidaysl**** Tel. +41 41 825 56 00 Fax +41 41 825 56 10 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.apart-holidays.com
Hotels on the Stoos Seminar- und Wellnesshotel Stoosl**** Tel. +41 41 817 44 44 Fax +41 41 817 44 45 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.hotel-stoos.ch
Restaurants at Swiss Holiday Park: Pizzeria Il Gusto, Schwyzer Stube, Panorama restaurant with terrace. Tel. +41 41 825 50 50
Golfrestaurant Axenstein: Public panorama restaurant with views over Morschach, Lake Uri and mountains. Tel. +41 41 825 41 06 Wildi’s Village Café & Restaurant: Family friendly, terrace, home-made desserts and cakes. Next to the church. www.wildis.ch Ristorante Pizzeria Betschart: Italian specialities served in a relaxed ambience. Terrace. Closed Thursdays. Tel. +41 41 820 54 88
• Klingenstock–Fronalpstock ridge route: breathtaking views of the Swiss Path with 360° panoramic vista taking in ten Swiss lakes and myriad Alpine peaks. • Morschach panorama trail: two-hour circular walk with wonderful view over the village, lake and mountains • Kapellenweg (chapel trail): one-hour circular walk in Morschach going past the Lourdes grotto, the parish church of St. Gallus, and the chapels of St. Mary and St. Francis
• Waldpark: forested park grounds with viewing points, rest and play areas, barbecue areas, Vita Parcours fitness trails • Alpine open-air swimming pool in Stoos • A Kükelhaus-inspired sensory path and chapel at Mattli Antoniushaus, children’s play area • Permanent orienteering trail featuring lovely vantage points in Morschach. Also suitable for families and walkers. Additional orienteering on the Stoos!
Bed and breakfast/Sleep in straw/Campsites Rüti vacation farm, Morschach B&B rooms with 2–6 beds, holiday apartments, sleep in straw for 14. Caravan and tent pitches for up to 2 nights. Quiet setting with panoramic views, large playground, barbecue spot and lots of little animals to pet. On the Brunnen–Morschach bus route (200 m before the Morschach–Stoos cableway terminus). Tel. +41 41 820 53 09 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.ferienhof-rueti.ch
Hotel Alpstubli Tel. +41 41 818 28 00 Fax +41 41 818 28 99 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.alpstubli.ch
Swiss Holiday Park – so much to offer After a hike along the Swiss Path enjoy the diversity offered by our holiday and leisure park. • Good-value family rooms and multi-bedded rooms • Cuisine from the Mediterranean, Asia and Switzerland • Water world pool: whirlpool, massage jets, 100 m slide, children’s splash pool, etc. • Spa oasis with Roman-Irish thermal springs, saltwater pool, massages, sauna landscape etc. • Sports and games: bowling, billards, squash, etc. • Electro outdoor cart track Contact: Swiss Holiday Park, 6443 Morschach Tel. +41 41 825 50 50, Fax +41 41 825 50 05 www.swissholidaypark.ch
Morschach-Stoos Tourismus Stooshorn 1, CH-6433 Stoos Information pavilion in Morschach
Tel. +41 41 818 08 80 Fax +41 41 818 08 09 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.morschach-stoos.ch
Spend unforgettable days in this area of unique hiking, lake and mountain scenery. Brunnen is situated in an ideal location for transportation connections: railways, extensive Postbus network, highway access, boat, Urmiberg/Rigi cable car. Excursions/cableways
Further leisure ideas
• Boat trip on Lake Lucerne • Urmiberg aerial cableway, terrace restaurant with great views • Morschach Stoos Fronalpstock cableway for hiking and skiing at alt. 1922 m
• Grand National Day festivities and fireworks (August 1) • Lakeside promenade concerts, Sundays June – September • Traditional folkloric evenings with alphorns • Swimming pool, lakeside lido • Hiking • Forest Cantons Trail • All kinds of water-based fun • Vita fitness trail • Paragliding and tandem flights • Mountain bike routes • Beautiful paddle steamer cruises • Kids playground by the lake • Bonfire area around 10 minutes above Brunnen
Sights/Museums • Ingenbohl monastery in Brunnen, Krypta • Tour of Bundeskapelle dating from 1635 • The Swiss kirsch road, Dettling distillery with visitors’ centre • Galerie am Leewasser • Cultural trail • Place of the Swiss Abroad
Country Inn/Restaurant Gasthaus PLUSPUNKT People with minor disabilities work together with expert chefs; their cuisine is superb. Enjoy the excellent hospitality. Tel. +41 41 825 11 80 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.pluspunkt.ch Gasthaus Ochsen Historic guest house at the end of the Swiss Path; four comfortable double rooms. We recommend our popular chicken-in-a-basket. Tel. +41 41 820 11 59 Fax +41 41 820 55 66 Internet www.hotelochsen.ch Restaurant Schmidstubli Fish specialities on the lakeside promenade. All our produce comes from Lake Uri. Varied daily menu. Large sunny terrace with exotic flair. Tel. +41 41 825 18 70 Fax +41 41 825 18 99 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.schmidalfa.ch Quai 2 Bar & Café A popular haunt for all ages. There’s something for everyone – coffee and croissants, beer and snacks, cocktails. Not forgetting the marvellous views across Lake Lucerne. Tel. +41 41 820 02 20 Fax +41 41 820 06 09 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.quai2.ch
Hotels City Hotel Tel. +41 41 825 10 10 Fax +41 41 825 10 11 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.city-brunnen.com
Hotel Eden au Lac & Metropol Tel. +41 41 820 17 98 Fax +41 41 820 49 89 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.hoteledenbrunnen.ch
Hotel Schmid & Alfa Tel. +41 41 825 18 18 Fax +41 41 825 18 99 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.schmidalfa.ch
Hotel Weisses Rössli Tel. +41 41 825 13 00 Fax +41 41 825 13 01 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.weisses-roessli-brunnen.ch
Seehotel Waldstätterhof l**** Tel. +41 41 825 06 06 Fax +41 41 825 06 00 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.waldstaetterhof.ch
Accommodations in a monastery Kloster Ingenbohl Klosterstrasse 10 6440 Brunnen Tel. +41 41 825 20 00 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.kloster-ingenbohl.ch
Cultural Galerie am Leewasser, Eisengasse 8 The Galerie am Leewasser is located in the village centre of Brunnen. Contemporary art and theme-based exhibitions are regularly displayed for the public in the modern rooms. Opening hours: Wed – Sat 2 – 10 pm, Sun 2 – 6 pm Contact: Tel. +41 41 820 08 88 www.galerie-am-leewasser.ch email@example.com
Brunnen Tourismus Bahnhofstrasse 15 CH-6440 Brunnen
Dettling World of Kirsch Reservations: Kirschstrasse Schweiz GmbH Kirschstrasse 1, 6414 Oberarth Contact: Tel. +41 41 855 50 58 firstname.lastname@example.org, www.kirschstrasse.ch
Tel. +41 41 825 00 40 Fax +41 41 825 00 49 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.brunnentourismus.ch
While hiking around Lake Uri, take a detour to Altdorf and enjoy the southern charms of this historical provincial city. Altdorf, with around 8700 inhabitants, is the commercial, political, cultural and social centre of Uri. The bus brings you directly to the centre, with its historical town hall and monument to William Tell. Altdorf was awarded the prestigious Wakker Prize for successfully preserving its original village character. Excursions/Places of interest/Museums
Hotels Hotel Goldener Schlüssell*** Tel. +41 41 871 20 02 Fax +41 41 870 11 67 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.hotelschluessel.ch
Hotel Höflil*** Tel. +41 41 875 02 75 Fax +41 41 875 02 95 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.hotel-hoefli.ch
• Eggberge – Biel high-altitude trail with round-trip bus and train ticket • Altdorf swimming pool: aquatic fun with wide water slide and wave pool • Altdorf–Eggberge aerial cableway (alt. 1440 m): terrace • Berggasthaus Eggberge • Restaurant Nussbäumli: the perfect vantage point • Cultural and historical tour of Altdorf
• Wealth of historical attractions: Tell memorial, Suvorov House, Capuchin monastery • Culture and events: theater(uri), im Vogelsang cellar theatre • Cinema: Leuzinger • Uri History Museum • Tell Museum Bürglen: everything you wanted to know about the Swiss freedom hero • Uri House of Art
Hotels Hotel Reiser Tel. +41 41 870 10 66 Fax +41 41 870 10 67 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.hotelreiser.ch
Hotel Zum schwarzen Löwen Tel. +41 41 874 80 80 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.hotel-loewen-altdorf.ch
Hotel Bahnhof Tel. +41 41 870 10 32 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Internet www.hotel-bahnhof.ch
Mit dem Postauto zum «Weg der Schweiz» – das Erlebnis von der Anreise bis zur Rückreise.
Ihre PostAuto-Linien rund um den Urner See: Altdorf – Seedorf – Isleten – Isenthal Altdorf – Flüelen – Beckenried – Stans (– Seelisberg) Flüelen – Altdorf – Klausen – Linthal Sisikon – Riemenstalden
TOURIST INFO URI Tellspielhaus Schützengasse 11, Postfach CH-6460 Altdorf
Tel. +41 41 874 80 00 Fax +41 41 874 80 01 E-mail email@example.com Internet www.uri.info
Brunnen R체tli & Start Weg der Schweiz
Telefon 041 818 08 08
Published on Jul 22, 2012