Expat Survival Guide 2021 - The Netherlands

Page 90

Welcome to Cycling Paradise the Netherlands! With more than 200 photos and a selection of 10 awesome bike routes and places to stay, this brand-new book is an absolute ode to the Dutch bicycle culture Now available at www.hollandbooks.nl, www.bol.com and main book stores in the Netherlands

By Peter de Lange • 160 pages • 17 x 23 cm Paperback • € 17.50 • ISBN 978 94 6319 227 9

• To exchange, apply at a municipal office for an “Aanvraag omwisseling voor Nederlands rijbewijs” form (or download it prior from www.rdw.nl) after being registered in the municipality database for 185 consecutive days. • You may be asked to provide a certificate of fitness (verklaring van geschiktheid), proving you are physically and psychologically fit to drive a vehicle. This statement is needed in the following cases:

• You need a special licence for a bromfiets (moped), snorfiets (light moped), or brommobiel (mobility car) (unless you have a licence of the A or B category) and you must be 16 or over to get one. • For all information on driving licences and tests visit www.rdw.nl or www.rijbewijs.nl. REGISTERING AND OWNING A CAR

• The hefty hindrance for bringing a car into the - You have an EU/EEA or Switzerland driving licence with Netherlands is the private motor vehicle and motorcycle categories C, CE, C1, D etc tax (BPM) — levied as a percentage of the value of - You benefit from the 30% tax ruling the car. - Your driving licence is from the Netherlands Antilles • Exemption certificates are dealt by or Aruba customs (www.belastingdienst.nl/douane) - Your driving licence is from one of the countries with a • There are many implications affecting car tax special agreement calculations: consult the website www.belastingdienst.nl for full details (in English). • If you are 75 years or over you’ll need a medical • Also note that as a Dutch resident you may not drive in examination, which the CBR may request for non-EU/ a vehicle with foreign registration plates – you will be ETFA/Swiss nationals also. considered as evading the import duty on the vehicle • If you are applying under the 30 percent ruling and road tax, and risk heavy fines. you will need a statement from the tax office’s • All cars must be registered with the RDW (Rijksdienst international department. voor het Wegverkeer). If you bring your vehicle from • Check with all departments if additional documentation abroad, it must first be reviewed at an RDW inspection is required for your certain situation, and if any station, after which registration plates are handled document requires translation or authentication. through the same office. • You will generally forfeit your original licence (unless applying under the 30 percent ruling).



Millions discover their favorite reads on issuu every month.

Give your content the digital home it deserves. Get it to any device in seconds.