Expat Survival Guide 2021 - The Netherlands

Page 8

• Your employer has to submit supporting evidence to show that EU/EEA/Swiss nationals cannot occupy the position: copies of advertisements, postings on the internet, or statements from agencies. • For a company to apply for a work permit, the candidate must be between 18 and 45 years old. • If a visa and residency permit is required, your employer can initiate your Entry and Residence Procedure (TEV) on your behalf before you arrive (with a copy of your passport and education qualifications). HIGHLY SKILLED MIGRANTS • To employ expats under the highly skilled migrant scheme, employers must sign an IND statement to become a “recognised sponsor”. However not all employers are recognised sponsor or want to become one. • An employer applies for your residence permit, which will be issued for the same period as the

work contract, or up to a maximum five years for indefinite contracts. • With the highly skilled migrant residency, your employer does not need a separate work permit (TWV) to hire you. • If your residency permit is not ready when you arrive, you are allowed to work in the interim period if you visit an IND desk and get a passport sticker (verblijfsaantekening). • Partners of highly skilled migrants can work without a work permit, though they do require a residence permit before commencing work. SELF-EMPLOYED/ENTREPRENEURS

• You will also need to prove you have the appropriate qualifications to carry out your business. • With the self-employment residence permit, you can still work as an employee provided the UWV WERKbedrijf has issued a work permit to your employer. • Freelancers can also apply for this permit, but proof of assignments in the Netherlands is a must. DUTCH AMERICAN FRIENDSHIP TREATY American citizens who wish to start a business in the Netherlands can apply under this scheme.

• For residency based on self• Register your business at the employment (for non-EU/EEA/Swiss), Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van your business activities must “serve Koophandel, www.kvk.nl) to qualify. an essential Dutch interest” which is • You must have financial accounts assessed by a point system. verified by a qualified accountant, • Personal experience, a business plus a business plan and substantial plan and what you plan to offer capital investment of EUR 4500. (innovation, job creation, investment, • Japanese citizens under the Treaty of etc.) are taken into account. Trade and Navigation can also apply to this treaty.


European Employment Services Are you an Expat looking for a job in the Netherlands? EURES gives jobseekers within the European Economic Area an independent advice on living & working conditions! More information? www.werk.nl/eures www.eures.europa.eu Follow us on:



Millions discover their favorite reads on issuu every month.

Give your content the digital home it deserves. Get it to any device in seconds.