Page 1

Has Your Job Been Affected by Foreign Competition?

Trade Adjustment Assistance May Be Able to Help You.  APPLY TODAY!   

You Should Apply for Trade Adjustment Assistance if... ♦ Your job has been shipped overseas  ♦ Your company lost work because of  foreign competition  ♦ Any portion of your work been  outsourced overseas  ♦ Your employer laid‐off employees  because customers moved work to a  foreign country 

♦ You are facing future layoffs/job loss  due to foreign competition 

What is Trade Adjustment   Assistance (TAA)  Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) is a program of the  US Department of Labor (DOL). The TAA program assists  workers who have lost their jobs because their employ‐ ers have been affected by foreign competition. TAA ap‐ plies to  all workers both hourly and/or salaried.  

How Can TAA Help You?  ♦

Job training costs for up to 130 weeks with   6 months added for remedial education 

Income support during  training with Trade   Readjustment Allow‐ ance (TRA) benefits 

Relocation assistance 

Job Search allowances 

Possible wage subsidies for older workers that   accept jobs at lower rates of pay 

Access to the Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC)  for insurance premium assistance 

Who is Covered by TAA? ♦

Workers in firms that manufacture products 

Workers in firms that supply services 

Workers whose firm has shifted production to   any foreign country  

Workers in public agencies 

Workers whose firm produces component   parts of a finished article for a company that is   affected by foreign competition. 

Workers in firms that supply testing, packaging,  maintenance and transportation services to   companies with TAA‐certified workers 

Workers whose company is identified in an     International Trade Commission (ITC) “injury”   determination listed in the Act.  

Who Can Apply for TAA Certification?  A group of three or more affected workers from the  company, a company official, a union or other duly   authorized representative (a One‐Stop operator, or a  state workforce agency) may file a petition for TAA   certification. TAA Petitions must be completed and  filed with the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and the  State in which the workplace is located.    A.  The petition identifies worker groups at a   specific firm or division and covers all workers of  those groups, not just those who submitted the   petition. Hourly and salaried can be covered in a  petition and either can apply.    B.  The petition must be filed within one year of   a worker's layoff for that worker to be covered   by the petition.  

Where Can I Get a   TAA Petition to File for   a Certification?  Petitions can be obtained through  the Department of Labor and at its  website at: tradeact/DownloadPetitions.cfm

When Should I File a TAA Petition?  It is possible to file too early or too late. The timing of filing  a petition is important in how it can affect workers that  are covered and depends on when the layoffs occurred.     ♦ File not earlier than 60 days prior to layoffs. Too early  might cause a petition rejection because workers have  not been laid off or notified yet.     ♦ File right away if layoffs have occurred in the past year.   Too late will not cover workers that were laid off earlier. 

What Do I Need to File a TAA Petition?  A petition filing is a simple process requiring basic   company information; however anything you can add  showing foreign trade competition will help your petition’s  success as DOL conducts its investigation. Provide an‐ nouncements or information from the company on any  layoffs. Newspaper articles and any other information that  states your jobs are being affected by foreign competition.     Remember:   

The more information you can provide the better. 

You can advise the Department of Labor that you   would like a chance to respond to any information   from the employer. 

If you are submitting a petition, pull out all the stops  and send in anything that you think will support your  petition. 

The Next TAA Public Outreach  Meetings are: 

For more information about the  

Trade Adjustment Assistance, contact:   

US Department of Labor  1‐888‐DOL‐OTAA (1‐888‐365‐6822)     

Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development   1‐608‐266‐7406 or 1‐888‐258‐9966 (ext 2)

IAM C.R.E.S.T. Corporation for Re-Employment and Safety Training

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW)

This document was financed in whole or in part   by a grant from the United States Department of Labor –   Employment and Training Administration  

Trade Adjustment Act  

How to qualify for TAA - a handbook to get you started.

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you