Page 11

important and core part of the third year is the dissertation, a piece of individual research work on a topic devised by yourself and carried out under the guidance of a supervisor.

BA Human Geography This course is similar to BA Geography but allows you to specialise in human geography from the outset and to combine economic, social, cultural, political, historical and environmental geography with the study of particular world areas and/or a European language. The third year allows choice from a number of specialised options leading on from the topics studied in the first two years, and also includes the dissertation.

BSc Physical Geography This course is similar to BSc Geography but allows you to specialise in physical geography from the outset, along with related aspects of the earth and environmental sciences. The first two years provide training in many areas of physical geography, including geomorphology, biogeography, soils, hydrology, sedimentology, oceanography and environmental change, and in the third year there is a choice of specialised options building on these topics. Throughout the course there is an emphasis on project, field and laboratory work, and the dissertation is also a core part of the course.

Master of Physical Geography This four-year undergraduate course cultivates awareness of recent developments in physical geography and of the research skills relevant in problem solving. In the first two years it is similar to the BSc Geography and Physical Geography courses, but Years 3 and 4 involve a higher level of study, heavily weighted towards field and laboratory work. A major part of the fourth year also involves designing and executing a piece of original research to be presented as a dissertation. You may apply through UCAS for direct entry to this course or transfer to it during the first two years of the BSc Geography or Physical Geography course, subject to satisfactory progress.

Joint Honours degrees These courses are designed for students who have a strong interest in a discipline related to geography and wish to continue studying both subjects equally. In the degree that combines geography with history, the geography half focuses on human geography. All students can opt to complete a dissertation on a geographical topic of their own choice.

Major/minor combinations In these degrees about 75% of your time is devoted to geography – the major subject – and the other 25% to the second subject. We offer BA degree combinations with business and marketing, in both of which the geography element focuses on human geography. The business and marketing components of the degree are taught in the University’s Business School, and cater for geography students who may be interested in careers involving these skills. We also offer a BSc degree course with sport science. The sport science component is taught by the Department of Sport, Health and Exercise Science.

www.hull.ac.uk

Geography

9

UG Geography 2011  

Geography Undergraduate study 2011

UG Geography 2011  

Geography Undergraduate study 2011