Page 1

Hull Campus 2011



See Hull | 1 The city of Hull | 3 The East Riding of Yorkshire | 4 Services and facilities on campus | 6 Student support services | 7

Money matters | 9 Useful information | 11 How much will it cost? | 12 Other funding available | 15 Paying your tuition fees | 16

Student living | 19 A guide to University of Hull accommodation | 19 Our student houses | 21 Choosing University accommodation | 22

Students’ union | 23 Your essential guide to Hull University Union | 25 Entertainment at HUU | 30

Information for parents and guardians | 31 Achieving peace of mind | 33 Meeting the costs | 34 The University environment | 37

See Hull





One of England’s 10 largest cities, Hull combines a strong maritime past with a confident, cosmopolitan present to offer an exhilarating urban experience. With a deserved reputation for friendliness and an extremely reasonable cost of living, this revitalised waterfront location defies most visitors’ preconceptions. Iconic recent developments such as The Deep (the world’s only submarium, home to hundreds of species of marine life) and the KC Stadium have put the city on the national map. But these are only part of a £1 billion investment programme which has transformed the city over the last few years.

Shop till you drop The latest addition, St Stephen’s – a £200 million, 40-acre shopping and leisure complex at the heart of the city centre – has accelerated Hull’s emergence as a hotbed of retail therapy. Princes Quay Shopping Centre houses more than 50 high-street names, while designer clothing stores line Savile Street and the units of Hepworth Arcade offer retro gear, skatewear and clubwear.

The city of Hull

A revitalised city

That’s entertainment The City Hall is a frequent date for stars of the stand-up comedy circuit; touring West End shows call at the New Theatre; and the nationally renowned Hull Truck Theatre specialises in challenging, stimulating productions. Four local cinemas present the latest mainstream movies, and Hull Screen supplies alternatives from cult, classic and world film. Sport in the city has seldom been so successful, with Hull City, Hull FC and Hull Kingston Rovers competing in the top divisions of football and rugby league. The former two share the 25,000-seater KC Stadium, which has doubled as a concert venue for REM, Bryan Adams and Girls Aloud, while Hull Arena regularly welcomes A-listers like Keane, The Killers and Arctic Monkeys.

Nightlife, clubbing and gigs Hull’s vibrant social scene centres around the numerous bustling eateries, traditional pubs and chic bars. Whether you’re into commercial dance, house, funk, reggae, R&B, hip-hop, electro, 80s/90s tunes, indie or rock, you’ll find your niche at one of the many club nights. Live music flourishes here. The three-day Freedom festival has become a popular fixture, bringing some of British music’s coolest acts to the city. The Adelphi is established as Hull’s home of live music (having given early breaks to Radiohead, Green Day and Oasis), while other popular venues include The Springhead (a former Live Music Pub of the Year); The Welly, which – through its association with the NME – showcases emerging talent; and The Piper, which has hosted the likes of Babyshambles and The Enemy.



The East Riding of Yorkshire

A special landscape The urban heart of the East Riding of Yorkshire, Hull is fortunate to be surrounded by some of Britain’s most striking scenery. A region of open plains, rugged coastline and rolling hills, it is an unspoilt and timeless landscape. If you are willing to spend a little time exploring, you are sure to be richly rewarded.

Character and charm Away from the bustle of the city, the area is peppered with picturesque villages, sumptuous stately homes and charming market towns – including historic Beverley, with its cobbled streets and magnificent Gothic Minster, and flourishing Driffield, a treasure trove of antique shops and cosy inns. Beyond those are award-winning seaside resorts like tourist-friendly Bridlington and more intimate coastal havens such as Whitby and Robin Hoods bay, all sandy beaches, pleasant promenades and hearty welcomes.

The great outdoors From the breathtaking panoramic seascapes viewed from the cliff-top lighthouse at Flamborough Head to the windswept beauty of the National Nature Reserve at Spurn Point, the region’s Heritage Coast offers a variety of attractive and sometimes dramatic vistas. Wildlife enthusiasts will revel in the unblemished riversides and woodland (not to mention the populous – and popular – RSPB reserve at Bempton Cliffs), while the gently undulating expanse of the Yorkshire Wolds appeals to walkers and cyclists alike.

The best of all worlds The region, in short, has much more to offer than you might first think. Living and studying at the heart of an abundance of urban, rural and coastal attractions, all within convenient travelling distance of Yorkshire’s other cultural, shopping and entertainment centres (York, for example, is only an hour away), our students enjoy access to the best of all worlds.





Services and facilities on campus

Library facilities and services The Brynmor Jones Library is located at the very heart of the campus. It houses more than a million books and 1,600 individual study spaces. All items are catalogued online and are available to students regardless of location. The whole library is wireless-enabled, as are large areas of the campus – so you can connect your own laptop to the internet whether you’re in a library study area, the students’ union bar or one of several other locations around the University.

Easy access The Brynmor Jones Library is open until late in the evening seven days a week, with extended opening hours during assessment periods in January and June. Access to all materials is free and items can be found, reserved and renewed online.

Computing facilities and services Following your registration, you will be provided with a computing account which consists of a University email address, unique username and password, and access to the University network and 500-plus applications. The Brynmor Jones Library contains around 300 computers, with another 1,000 located across the Hull Campus.

Assistance and training The Service Desk is there to help with any computing-related questions and problems. The Academic Services ICT Learning team also provide training on the range of software you will use while at university, offering free electives and formal ICT qualifications.

Language learning Our Department of Modern Languages is one of the largest and best-equipped language learning centres in Britain. It provides the focus for language learning for everyone in the University, from learning a new language to developing existing skills for a specific academic or professional purpose. Whatever your needs, the Department of Modern Languages can help.

Free Electives We aim to offer you the best of both worlds; an opportunity to study your chosen field in depth and at the same time, the freedom to broaden your knowledge in other areas. The Free Elective Scheme gives most students the option to take one module a year outside their main area of study across the University. A full list is available at

Careers Beyond a degree The success of Hull graduates is outstanding: in terms of national benchmarks, the University is firmly in the top 20. Part of the reason for this is our excellent careers service, which offers comprehensive information, advice and guidance about careers and employability issues in collaboration with employer partnerships.

The Careers Service The aim of the Careers Service is to ensure that our students are equipped to make career decisions and meet the demands of the increasingly competitive graduate employment market. All our careers advisors have a variety of non-university experience in education, commerce, industry and the arts. For more information visit



Student support services Study Advice Service What is study advice? Once you have been at university for a while, you will be expected to start producing academic work – perhaps an essay, presentation or a scientific report – which can initially be daunting. Some students need a little extra help, in terms of academic skills, with the transition from school to university, or from another country to new ways of studying in the UK, or perhaps from work back into study after a break. The Study Advice Service is available to see you on a one-to-one basis, to discuss any anxieties you may have about your studies – including any that you might feel embarrassed to discuss with staff in your department. All tutors offer practical advice and guidance that will save you time and help you to work more efficiently while reassuring you and boosting your confidence. They can offer advice on how to: • structure an essay or report • plan your dissertation • compile a bibliography and write references • take proper notes in a lecture • manage time when you have deadlines • revise for examinations • polish your grammar and punctuation Further information can be obtained from

Student Welfare The University of Hull has always given a high priority to looking after its students. Academic, social and personal support is embedded within the structures and facilities of the departments, the residences and the students’ union.

Chaplains and religious groups The University’s chaplains serve a range of denominational groups, including Anglican, Baptist, Eastern Orthodox, Jewish, Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends and United Reformed Church.

Counselling Counselling provides a safe, quiet space in which you can explore issues that affect your life and your enjoyment of the university experience. We aim to relate to you in a purposeful and supportive manner, helping you to find your own way of coping. For more information, visit

Loans and Hardship team Student loans and hardship advisers are available to assist with general funding enquiries and applications for the Access to Learning (formerly Hardship) Fund. This fund is provided by the Government to give financial assistance in the form of additional loans or grants to UK students in hardship. For more information, please contact 01482 462020.

Medical care All students who are not permanent residents in Hull are required to register with a local health practice. Details of local practices are given to new undergraduates on arrival. Information is also available from the students’ union Advice Centre or Student Support (email



Mature Student Adviser Some mature students may find that juggling home and family responsibilities, managing on a student budget or working alongside recent school-leavers can be daunting. As part of their induction to the University, new mature students are invited to attend an introductory session which provides the opportunity to meet other mature students. The Mature Student Adviser is available to offer guidance and support to mature students on a variety of issues. For more information, contact Karen Smales on 01482 462020 or email

Disability Services Disability Services provides specialist support for students with physical disabilities, sensory impairments or mental-health problems. Once you arrive, our Disability Coordinators are useful points of contact who can liaise with tutors regarding particular needs, organise appropriate special assessment arrangements and assist with applications for Disabled Students’ Allowance. Each academic department has a Disability Tutor who can offer support and information that is more directly linked to your studies.

Students with specific learning difficulties We offer various kinds of support for students with specific learning difficulties, not least a screening and referral service. A regular support group and individual tutorial support for study skills are also available.

Disabled Students’ Allowance If you are a ‘home’ student (this usually means eligible to apply for support from your local education authority and/or Student Finance) you may be entitled to the Disabled Students’ Allowance to meet the cost of special equipment, a helper or other additional support.

Assistive technology The Miriam Hebron Resource Centre, on the ground floor of the Brynmor Jones Library, provides a wide range of assistive technology and specialist equipment to enable disabled students to take full advantage of our library facilities. Heightadjustable workstations are provided elsewhere in the building for students with mobility difficulties.

Accommodation We have a number of residential places suitable for disabled students, including facilities for students with mobility difficulties and hearing impairments. Please let us know about your residential needs as early as possible so that we can reserve appropriate accommodation, or discuss whether we can make the adaptations that you require. For more information, please contact Disability Services on 01482 462020 or



Money matters





Undergraduate students Undergraduate students take Bachelor degree (BA, BSc, BMus) programmes or MChem, MBiol, MEng, BSc(Econ), MPhys, LLB, MPhysGeog or MPharm, MSci programmes or Foundation degrees.

UK students UK students are normally those who hold EU (including UK) nationality or who are otherwise settled in the UK and have been resident in the UK for three years immediately prior to the start of the study programme. UK nationals living overseas in a temporary capacity may also qualify.

Students resident in Scotland, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man

Useful information

Knowing your tuition fee category

Students from the above areas will have alternative financial support for funding streams – please contact your funding provider for further information.

EU students EU students are normally those who hold EU nationality who have not been resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to the start of the study programme.

NHS and TDA students UK students on BA Social Work, PGCE, Operating Department Practice, Nursing and the four-year Biomedical Science Masters attract specific funding. Please see page 14 for further information.

EU students page 14 and 15

Tuition fee loan

Tuition fee loan


UK students page 12, 13, 14 and 15


Maintenance loan



Maintenance grant


Special support grant



University of Hull Bursary

University of Hull Bursary



University of Hull Scholarship

University of Hull Scholarship



How much will it cost? For many students, the biggest question about university is ‘how much is it all going to cost?’ This section will provide you with all the answers you need.

Full-time undergraduate UK students The University of Hull will charge £3,375 tuition fees per year for UK students who begin studying in September 2011. The good thing is that you can 'pay as you earn and not as you learn' – the Government will give you a tuition fee loan (regardless of your background) and you won't have to pay a penny back until you have left university and earn £15,000 or more a year. For students studying a 4 year foundation programme, the tuition fees for the first year will be £1685. Tuition fees for students studying for full time Foundation degree programmes may vary. For further details, visit Those who have previously studied in higher education in the UK should check with Student Finance England for eligibility. Applicants for Biomedical Science, Medicine, Nursing, Operating Department Practice, PGCE or Social Work programmes may have alternative funding arrangements and should refer to page 14 of this guide. While you are at university, you will have two main costs – your tuition fees and your living costs. Here is further information about the help available:

Government loans Tuition fee loan What is it for? The tuition fee loan is designed to help you with the cost of the fees that you will be charged by the University. How much can I get? Students who begin studying at the University of Hull in September 2011 will be charged £3,375. You can borrow up to £3,375 to cover your tuition fees – regardless of your household income. Students studying for a full time Foundation degree may apply for the amount charged for their particular programme. When do I receive it? Student Finance England will pay your loan directly to the University on your behalf. Do I have to pay it back? Yes – but not until you are earning the equivalent of £15,000 per year.

Maintenance loan What is it for? The maintenance loan is designed to help with your living costs throughout the year. How much can I get? The amount you are entitled to depends on your household income, where you live, where you are studying and the year of your course. The maximum loan for 2011 is £4,950 per year if you live away from home while studying, or £3,838 per year if you continue to live at home while studying. All UK students are entitled to 72% of the maximum maintenance loan, and the remaining 28% will depend on your residual household income. When do I receive it? Student Finance England will pay the maintenance loan straight into your bank account – usually in three instalments: one at the start of each term. Do I have to pay it back? Yes – but not until you are earning the equivalent of £15,000 per year.



Government grants Maintenance grant What is it for? The maintenance grant is a non-repayable amount to help with your living costs. How much can I get? The amount you are entitled to is based on your household income. Household income

How much?

£25,000 or less

Full £2,906 grant

Between £25,001 and £50,020

Partial grant, depending on your household income

More than £50,020

No grant

When do I receive it? Student Finance England will pay the maintenance grant in three instalments, one at the start of each term, along with any maintenance loan directly into your bank account. Do I have to pay it back? No – the maintenance grant is non-repayable.

Special support grant The special support grant is allocated in place of the maintenance grant to full-time students who can claim income-related benefits and meet specific criteria. It is means-tested in the same way as the maintenance grant but does not reduce the amount of maintenance loan that you are entitled to. What is it for? The special support grant is designed to help with extra course-related costs such as books, equipment, travel or childcare. How much can I get? You can get up to £2,906, depending on your household income. When do I receive it? If you are entitled to a special support grant – you will not be able to receive a maintenance grant as well. Your entitlement to the special support grant is calculated the same as the maintenance grant and paid in the same way. Do I have to pay it back? No – the special support grant is non-repayable.

How do I apply? We would advise that you apply as soon as you can. The deadlines to ensure you receive your money in time for the start of the course are as follows: Student Finance England Student Finance Scotland Student Finance Northern Ireland Student Finance Wales

31st May 2011 End of June (exact date to be confirmed) 4 May 2011 15 April 2011

Applications made after this date will still be processed but payment cannot be guaranteed for the start of the Academic Year. Please note – you don’t have to wait until you have been accepted onto your course before you apply – you can put your first choice course on your application and inform Student Finance if this changes at a later date. If you decide to apply for student finance after your course starts, you must apply no later than nine months after the first day of the academic year. Please also ensure that you apply for the right academic year. Please visit or contact 0845 00 5090 for more information.



What happens once I have applied?

Full-time undergraduate EU students

You can track the progress of your application by logging onto your online student finance account. Once your application has been assessed, you will receive confirmation of the amounts you are entitled to. Keep this confirmation safe as you may need it at registration.

The University of Hull will charge £3,375 tuition fees per year (subject to inflationary increases only) for EU students who begin studying in September 2011.

How do I receive the money? 1. You need to register on your course with the University. 2. The University will then inform Student Finance and confirm that you have registered. 3. Student Finance will then pay the first instalment of your maintenance loan and/or any grant directly into your bank account. Please note: this normally takes 3–5 days to clear, so please make sure you have enough money to cover your first week at university. 4. If you have applied for a tuition fee loan, this will be paid directly to the University on your behalf. 5. If you have received a bursary or scholarship, this will be paid directly to you from the University.

What about repaying my student loan? You will start to repay your student loan in the April after you graduate, as long as you are earning over £15,000 per year. For further information visit

The good thing is that you can 'pay as you earn and not as you learn' – the Government will give you a tuition fee loan, regardless of your financial background. As an EU student, you will need to download, complete and return an EU9N form – available from – or contact EU Student Support on 0141 243 3570.

Tuition fee loan What is it for? The tuition fee loan is designed to help you with the cost of fees that you will be charged by the University. How much can I get? Students who begin studying at the University in September 2011 will be charged £3,375. You can borrow up to £3,375 to cover your tuition fees – this is regardless of your household income. When do I receive it? Student Finance will pay your loan directly to the University on your behalf. Do I have to pay it back? Yes – but not until you are earning the equivalent of £15,000 per year.

NHS- and TDA-funded students UK students who are applying for programmes that attract specific funding from the NHS or the TDA may have to make alternative funding arrangements. Please use the contact numbers or web addresses below for further information. EU students can usually access part of the funding package.

BA Social Work Department of Social Sciences: 01482 465753 or visit


Nursing NHS Bursaries: 0845 358665 or

MBSci – Undergraduate Masters in Biomedical Science

Medicine Hull York Medical School: 0870 124 5500 or



Other funding available The University of Hull Bursary

University of Hull Scholarships

What is it for? This is a non-repayable amount designed to ensure that anyone who wants to come to the University has the opportunity to do so.

What is it for? This is a non-repayable amount awarded by academic departments to individuals who have achieved learning excellence before starting university.

How much can I get? If your annual residual income is £25,000 or less, you will receive a bursary of £1,000 per year.

How much can I get? You will receive a non-repayable amount of £1,500 per year for the first two years of your programme.

If your annual residual income is between £25,001 and £40,000, you will receive a bursary of £500 per year.

How do I qualify? Excellence levels vary between disciplines and are normally measured by A Level grades. However, if you demonstrate academic excellence outside of A Levels, you may also be eligible for a scholarship.

How do I apply? When you apply to Student Finance England, there is a box on the form which asks whether you are happy for your information to be shared: this means you will automatically be considered for a bursary. You will only not be considered for a bursary if you have ticked this box. If you have mistakenly ticked this box, you will need to contact Student Finance England as soon as possible. Please note: you do not need to apply directly to the University for a bursary. What happens next? You will receive a letter from the University in November to confirm the amount that you will receive. Your bursary will then be paid straight into your bank account in February and May. When do I pay it back? You don’t – University of Hull Bursaries are nonrepayable.

To qualify, you must be a home/EU student paying tuition fees of £3,375 in 2011 and entering Year 1 of an undergraduate degree. Scholarships are not available during a foundation year or industrial placement. HYMS students are not eligible for the scholarship. How do I apply? If you are completing A Levels in the UK this academic year, you will automatically be considered for a University of Hull scholarship and will be informed by letter if you have been successful. If you have demonstrated academic or learning excellence outside of A Levels and would like to apply for a scholarship, please contact the department you will be studying in or download a copy of the application form from The deadline for our receipt of these forms from students starting in September 2011 is 14 October 2011. All students should not apply until they have received their results. What happens next? To receive your scholarship, you must complete the application for government financial assistance so that we can pay you. For more information, visit Your scholarship will be paid directly into your bank account in two instalments in February and May. When do I pay it back? You don’t – University of Hull Scholarships are nonrepayable. The University’s Bursaries and Scholarships are available to UK and EU students.



Paying your tuition fees There are three simple ways that you can pay your tuition fees.

1. Tuition fee loan Please note – you must have applied to Student Finance England for financial assistance and requested a tuition fee loan to do this. Once your application has been approved, Student Finance will pay it directly to the University of Hull on your behalf. You will need to provide written confirmation of this loan at registration.

2. Payment at registration You can pay your full tuition fee (£3,375 or the amount that is not covered by your tuition fee loan, if you are a full-time undergraduate student) at registration. If you pay by cash, cheque or debit card, you will receive a 2% discount. If you pay by credit card, there will be no discount, due to the charges paid by the University. The University advises against carrying large sums of cash upon your person.

3. Payments by instalments You can pay 50% of your fee by cash, cheque, debit or credit card agreement at registration (£1,500 or the balance not covered by the tuition fee loan). You can then sign up to pay the other 50% in two equal instalments in January and April, by direct debit or credit card agreement. You can also pay online at



Student living





At the University of Hull, we recognise that your time is about more than just lectures and tutorials. Where you live (and who you live with!) is just as important as any other part of University life.

The University of Hull accommodation guarantee All unaccompanied new students who apply for a place at the University of Hull residences by 1 September are guaranteed an offer of a place in University-owned, -managed or -directed accommodation. For more information, visit Most of the University’s student houses, and all study-bedrooms in the halls of residence, have a high speed internet connection via access to the university network.

Student living

A guide to University of Hull accommodation

There are a variety of different types of accommodation to choose from: • Lawns halls and the traditional-style Needler Hall, where an evening meal is provided (with the exception of Nicholson Hall, which is self catered) • traditional hall (Thwaite), where most meals except weekday lunches are provided • student houses and Taylor Court, for those who prefer self-catering • University-managed self-catered head-leased properties let to groups of students • ‘The Scheme’ – comprising of privately owned self-catered hall of residence, one located in the city centre and another located on Princes Avenue, within walking distance of the university. And a stock of privately owned and managed self-catered houses/flats close to the university

Halls of residence The Lawns Downs, Ferens, Grant, Lambert, Morgan, Nicholson and Reckitt Halls – and the Lawns Centre – stand in 40 acres of landscaped parkland on the outskirts of the village of Cottingham, three miles from the campus. All rooms have telephones and an internet connection. All the halls share the grounds, which include tennis courts, football pitches and 330 car parking spaces. The Lawns Centre Shared among the seven halls, the Lawns Centre is a social hub which provides the main evening meal service to all semi-catered students, together with a late snack-bar service. The centre also has a television room and bars.

Thwaite Hall Located in the village of Cottingham – approximately 1.2 miles from the University – Thwaite Hall is within easy cycling and walking distance of the campus. The hall stands in more than 24 acres of beautiful grounds, which contain a lakeland area, woods and three all-weather areas for tennis, netball or football.

Needler Hall Approximately 2.5 miles from the University, Needler Hall is a converted 18th-century house situated in attractive grounds close to Cottingham village centre. Facilities include a library, a networked computer studio, two common rooms, a games room, a music room and a launderette. Needler provides a semi-catered service.

Taylor Court Situated on the campus itself, Taylor Court provides self-catering accommodation for both undergraduate and postgraduate students. Each flat has shared dining facilities and every study bedroom has en-suite facilities. Resident car parking spaces are also available.






The University has 186 two-storey terraced houses, located immediately next to the campus, which offer single-room, self-catered accommodation for undergraduate and postgraduate students. Accommodating between four and ten students, most houses have a combined kitchen and dining room. Most houses are mixed gender, but single-gender occupancy may be available on request. Limited on street parking is available to the front of most properties.

Head-leased (University-managed) accommodation The University leases properties from private landlords to groups of students. Located within 1–2 miles of the campus, the properties accommodate up to eight students in single rooms and have separate kitchens and common rooms. This type of accommodation also supports the first year intake as and when required.

Student houses

Our student houses

The Scheme The University also has access to good-quality private sector accommodation and works only with landlords whose properties are registered on an accreditation scheme run in partnership with the local authority. The Scheme accommodation comprises of: a) single rooms in furnished self-catering flats and houses (for groups of four to eight students) located in popular residential areas close to the campus. First year students who are directed to make accommodation arrangements with The Scheme will be contacted by the accommodation office in September. Visit for more information. b) privately owned halls of residence – for example, Pacific Court in Hull city centre and Marlborough Halls on Princes Avenue, located within walking distance of the University. For more information visit or



Choosing University accommodation When thinking about choosing your University accommodation, there are a number of factors that you should take into consideration:

What kind of experience do you want? Living and social facilities associated with each type of accommodation can vary.

Would you prefer catered or self-catered accommodation? The halls are catered/semi catered and therefore have set meal times – whereas Taylor Court, student houses, head-leased and ‘Scheme’ properties are self catered.

What is your budget? Prices between halls, student houses, head leased and ‘Scheme’ properties vary. University accommodation – annual costs 2011/12 (including bills) Type Contract length Cost Halls of residence 31 weeks (term time only) £2,685–£3,926 Student house 42 weeks £2,207–£3,021 Taylor Court 50 weeks £4,455 University-managed accommodation 46 weeks £2,208–£3,450 The Scheme 50 weeks £2,500–£3,750 Vacation accommodation 7 weeks £77 per week (approx) Note: you will need to pay £150 in advance as a deposit, but this will be returned at the end of the contract (except in case of damage to the property).

Do you want en-suite facilities? Some accommodation has them and some does not.

Do you want your bills included? Some residence fees are all inclusive of utility costs and some are not.

What happens next? From late May onwards, all applicants who have firmly accepted their offer will be sent instructions of how to use our online application process. Allocation of accommodation is made on a first come, first served basis – so we strongly advise completing the application process as soon as possible to ensure that your needs are best met. Once your accommodation has been allocated, you will receive a residence contract. Please note – you will be required to pay a non-refundable £150 deposit when applying for a residential place. Applications from students holding Hull as their insurance choice will not be processed for accommodation until Hull becomes their firm choice.



Students’ union





Hull University Union (HUU) is one of the best students’ unions in the country. It recently achieved a Silver award in the Student Union Evaluation Initiative (a Government-backed assessment that improves the service delivered to National Union of Students members), making it the second-highest scoring union in the country to date. HUU exists to provide representation, support and a sociable environment to the students of the University. Run by students for students, the union has a team of Sabbatical Officers that control certain individual areas of the union including welfare, education, sport and community*. Each area has many ways in which you can find help or get involved. If you have strong interests in health and welfare, media and marketing, voluntary work, financial matters, campaigning or sports then the union is a great way to get involved and improve your skills. Volunteering with the union shows employers that you have commitment, management skills and organisational ability which you can take into the workplace. *All the leadership positions are elected and available for any full member of the union to apply for.

Welfare Zone

Your essential guide to HUU

Hull University Union

This zone offers confidential and professionally run services to help improve your health and happiness during your time here.

Advice Centre The Advice Centre offers free, independant and impartial advice on issues including money and debt, loans, grants and bursaries, housing, welfare benefits, tax credits and disability benefits.

Job Exchange The Job Exchange can help you find a variety of part-time, temporary or vacation work with local and national student-friendly employers. For more information, visit

Nightline Nightline is a confidential listening and information service for students, run by highly trained student volunteers. A drop-in service is also available. Training sessions are held each semester if you would like to become a volunteer.

HUSAC The Hull University Students Against Crime (HUSAC) Committee addresses issues of crime prevention. HUSAC runs regular drop-in sessions, personal safety awareness classes and trips to the local police authorities and specialised units.

Equal opportunities Hull University Union recognises that society can discriminate against individuals and groups, both minority and majority. We believe that the rights of individuals and groups should be upheld, enforced and protected. To enable us to be proactive in promoting and campaigning for equal opportunities among our diverse membership, available committees to represent you include the Black Students’ Committee, LGBT, Women’s Committee, Disabled Committee and Postgrad Committee. All of the above committees feed into the Equal Opportunities Committee. For more information, please visit



Education Zone Anything that is education related can be tackled in the Education Zone. There are many committees in the University, covering all sorts of areas, and it is important that our students’ voices are heard so that the right changes can be made. If you would like to get involved with any of these committees, please feel free to contact the union or speak to a committee member.

Course representatives The front line of academic support comes in the form of more than 400 course representatives, who act as the student voice – representing fellow students at various University committees. All you need is enthusiasm and a desire to get the student point of view across.

Sport Zone The Sport Zone does exactly what it says on the tin. If you enjoy sports at any competitive level, then your involvement in this zone would give you an active and sociable student life.

The Athletic Union The Athletic Union (AU) is responsible for running sports for all students across the campus – from football to mountaineering to golf and cheerleading. Sport at the University continues to grow stronger and, at present, the AU provides sport for 2,000 students and 45 teams. Competing in BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) tournaments or at intramural level, you can enjoy sports at a level that suits your fitness and schedule. The Sports and Fitness Centre and facilities combined with official AU nights out make Hull a leading force in the all-round provision of the University sports experience.

AU Teams • American Football • Athletics • Badminton • Basketball (Mens and Womens) • Boat Club • Boxing • Canoe Club • Cheerleading •Clay Shooting • Cricket (Mens) • Dance Sports and Rock N Roll • Fencing • Figure Skating • Football (Mens and Womens) • Golf • H2O • Hockey (Mens and Womens) • HYMS • Ice Hockey • Ju-Jitsu • Karate • Lacrosse (Mens and Womens) • Mixed Martial Arts • Mountaineering and Rock Climbing • Netball Squad • Netball League • Riding • Rugby League • Rugby Union (men and Womens) • Ski and Snowboard • Squash • Sub Aqua • Swimming • Table Tennis • Tennis • Ten Pin Bowling • Trampoline • Ultimate Frisbee • Volleyball.

Community Zone The Community Zone is an activities-based area, allowing you to meet like-minded people by joining a student society, or starting your own. Community volunteering can help you give something back to the community, get some work experience and develop new skills. The Community Zone also oversees the established student media areas, such as Hullfire Magazine, Jam Radio, BassMent Radio.







Student Societies During your time at university, you should be as involved and busy as you can – whether this means volunteering, being a member of a society, trying new hobbies and skills or even gaining extra qualifications.

Societies include • Afro-Caribbean • Anime • Arab • Archaeological • Asian • Biological Sciences • Bounce – Urban Culture • Bright Futures • Bruneian • Catholic • Chinese Student Scholars Association • Christian Union • Cocktail • Come Dine With Me • COMIChull • Computer • Conservative Future •Crystal Clear DJ • Dance • Debating • Drama • Duke of Edinburgh • English • Film • Foundation of Christ • Geography • Global • Greek • History • Hong Kong • Hull Airsoft • Hull Alternative Culture • Hull Hindu • Hull Labour Club • Hull Saudi • Hull Socialist Students • Hull University Amnesty International • Hull University Big Band • Hull University Business • Hull University Comedy • Hull University Engineering • Hull University Gilbert & Sullivan • Hull University Go-Karting • Hull University Lithuanian • Hull University Music • Hull University Physics • Hull University Politics • Hull University Religion and Theology • Hull University Russian • Human Rights Action • Humanist, Athiest, Secularist and Agonistic • HUUTV • HYMS Wilderness Medicines • Investments and Finance • Iranian • Islamic • Japan • Jewish • Juggalize It • Language • Latter Day Saints • Law • Liberal Democrat • Lindy-hop • Love Hull Uni • Malaysian Students Association • Medical Society (MedSoc) • Nigerian • Ninja • Philosophy • Photography • Pirate • Pokemon • Poker • Pool • Postgraduate • Psychology • Real Ale • Sci-fi and Fantasy • Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity • Socialist Worker Student Society (SWSS) • Sports Rehabilitation • Steam Punk • Student Parent • Students Action For Refugees • Thai • The Freedom Association • The History of Medicine • Vida Gospel • Wargame and Role Play Society (WARPS) •War and Security Studies • Workers Liberty • Zoological

Give It A Go (GIAG) Led by students, GIAG gives students the opportunity to put forward ideas for new trips, activities and future events.

International Students Association (ISA) For both International and British Students at University, the ISA works closely with the Students Union and the University to offer a variety of social and cultural activities to help international students get used to British culture.

HUSSO Established almost 50 years ago, Hull University Social Services Organisation (HUSSO) has more than 300 volunteers working on 20-plus projects. HUSSO is about putting something back into the community and offers students the chance to work with anyone, from children from deprived backgrounds to adults who suffer from mental illness.

Campaigns The union also runs campaigns for better student health, for increased participation in sports, and for the protection of student rights – and we serve as an advocate with the University, among other things.

Run by University Sports and Fitness Centre Open seven days a week, the on-campus Sports and Fitness Centre offers a range of indoor sports, plus squash courts, an exercise and martial arts studio and a full fitness suite. Importantly, membership charges are lower than those of our local competitors. Other facilities include: all-weather pitch • six squash courts • five outdoor floodlit tennis courts • five badminton courts • two outdoor floodlit netball courts • full-size floodlit tennis courts • indoor climbing wall • ‘Relax’ bar • five table tennis tables • grass football pitches • three rugby pitches • an American football pitch • two cricket pitches



Entertainment at HUU HUU has the best and most established entertainments programme in the country. ‘The Tower’ is the Athletic Union night which takes place every Wednesday. It’s not just for sports teams: everyone is welcome! Each week there is usually a theme, from beach parties in board shorts and flip flops to 999 parties which sees the union full of ‘firemen’, ‘nurses’ and ‘doctors’. ‘Brassick’, meanwhile, is the ultimate student night – with recession-beating prices of £1.70 entry and £1.50 on all drinks. Not everyone is into club nights, of course, and HUU caters for all tastes. Every Tuesday, ‘The Big Quiz’ offers a cash prize (which has occasionally ‘rolled over’ into thousands of pounds!), while the hugely popular Thursday night karaoke gives you the chance to sing your heart out to all your favourite tunes. Sundays are home to the side-splitting Comedy Night. Combined with a leisurely drink, this is the perfect way to chill out before lectures the next day. All this entertainment is housed within the union building, and all of our nights are ‘members only’ – providing you with maximum safety and enjoyment.

Venues inside HUU include Asylum – a £4million purpose-built nightclub, attached to University House. The John McCarthy Bar – this bar has reached iconic status amongst Hull students. Located on the ground floor of the Union, it’s now open during the day too Sanctuary – where you can enjoy a casual drink and nourishing food. Sanctuary also offers an amazing beer garden/terraced area, with the BBQ shack serving on certain days (weather permitting!) Quick Bite – a new catering outlet, situated next to the internet cafe and offering takeaway coffees, breakfast sandwiches, hot pasties and pies. A fuss-free way to get your morning coffee and takeout before an early lecture. The union’s venues are the best in Hull, and have numerous awards to prove it. At the prestigious Best Bar None awards last year, for example, Asylum walked away with the prizes for best nightclub, safest venue and overall best venue in Hull.

The union shop The recently refurbished shop contains everything you need while on campus – from an excellent variety of sandwiches and meal deal options to birthday cards, stationary, household products and even University-branded clothing and memorabilia. Check out our online store at



Information for parents and guardians





Going to university can be an exciting but daunting prospect – not only for the student, but also for parents or guardians. Here at the University of Hull, we fully understand this and the following section aims to provide you with all the information you need and answers to the many different questions you may have.

Accommodation We recognise that your child’s time at university is about more than just lectures and tutorials – where they live, and who they live with, is just as important. This is why we advise that first-year students live in University accommodation. The University is a long-established leader in the provision of student accommodation, and our dedicated Accommodation Office helps to guide prospective students through the process of finding somewhere to live. Pages 17–22 of this guide provide information on the different types of University accommodation available to first years.

The University accommodation guarantee All unaccompanied new students who apply for accommodation by 1 September 2011 are guaranteed an offer of a place in University-owned, -managed, or -directed accommodation. The accommodation details are sent by the end of May.

How do we apply for accommodation? Once your son or daughter has accepted an offer of a place at the University, they will be sent further information from the end of May about what accommodation is available, along with further guidance on how to apply using the University’s online application process. Accommodation is allocated on a first come, first served basis so we would advise they complete the application form and return it asap.

Information for parents and guardians

Achieving peace of mind

What if they don’t want to live in University accommodation? If your son or daughter decide that they do not want to live in University accommodation, private-sector accommodation in Hull is comparatively cheap and there is lots of availability close to campus. For more information, visit

What happens in the second year? A limited number of places are available for continuing students who wish to remain in University of Hull accommodation. However the majority of returning students obtain accommodation in the private sector. For more detailed information about the accommodation available, please refer to page 21.



Meeting the costs Often the biggest question about university is ‘how much is all this going to cost?’ The cost of being a student can be split into two different categories:

Tuition fees The University will charge a tuition fee of £3,375 for all students who begin studying in 2011. This can either be paid upfront or your son or daughter can apply for a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England to cover the cost. Tuition fees for students studying for full time foundation degree programmes may vary. For more information visit

Living costs The other main cost for students living away from home is accommodation. Other outgoings include bills, food, travel, sports, clothes and entertainment. Course costs (such as books and materials) will vary depending on the degree but also have to be taken into consideration. Please refer to pages 9–16 for detailed information about available sources of income.

Applying for finance We would advise that your son or daughter applies to the relevant student finance body (England, Ireland, Wales or Scotland) as soon as possible to ensure that they receive the money in time for the start of their course. Any grants, scholarships and bursaries that are awarded do not have to be repaid. Some students studying nursing, ODP, social work, PGCEs and related courses receive non-means-tested NHS bursaries instead of loans, which do not have to be paid back. Further information is included on page 11–16. In addition, the information at is also extremely useful.

What if they haven’t applied when they start their course? You can apply up to nine months after the start of the University’s academic year.

What if they haven’t received their loan/grant by the start of their course? They can still register for their course even if they haven’t received the money – although they will need to produce official documentation from the Student Finance Company, confirming that they have applied and are awaiting payment.

Who can my son or daughter speak to if they are struggling financially? If they have any general enquiries or worries relating to money, the Advice Centre in the students’ union provides guidance and information on a range of issues. In cases of extreme hardship, financial support is available through the Access to Learning Fund – details of which can be obtained from the Student Loans and Hardship Office. They can also assist with planning a budget for the term or academic year.

Can the University help students to find part-time jobs? Many students also work part-time to supplement their income. The Job Exchange (in the students’ union) caters specifically for students looking for part-time work. They deal with student-friendly employers and have a variety of positions available. As well as helping students financially, working part-time is a good way to develop valuable skills that will serve them well when applying for jobs after graduation.

Useful links University of Hull Advice Centre – Direct Gov - Student Finance England – The Student Loans Company –



The University environment Although the University is a higher education establishment, new students will find that the environment and expectations differ slightly to school or sixth-form college. The University is an open, public environment where each individual is treated like an adult and expected to behave accordingly.

Self discipline in studies Each student is responsible for their studies and their commitment to them. To succeed in their chosen degree, it is important that each student is self disciplined in their studies and able to apply himself or herself appropriately. Although lectures are not obligatory, it is advised that each student attends as many as possible to ensure they get the most out of their time here. Please note: some programmes, especially those with professional training elements, do have mandatory attendance requirements.

Self discipline in life This will be many students’ first time living away from home and therefore the first time that there isn’t anyone at home guiding them or ‘telling them what to do’. Although this may be quite daunting for some, it is also an exciting and challenging time. By applying themselves accordingly, your son or daughter will gain invaluable ‘life experience’ – on personal, professional and academic levels.

Data protection While the University will liaise directly with your son or daughter about their studies and any support they might need, the University is also able to contact you directly if we feel that this is the necessary course of action and that you need to be informed about a particular situation.

Student support and welfare Knowing that your son or daughter has settled into university life and adapted to their new environment will give you great peace of mind. However, if any problems should arise, there is an extensive network of support services available.

Residential pastoral care While your son or daughter is in University accommodation, wardens and tutors are available to offer support when necessary. Each University hall of residence has a live-in warden who is available to offer discreet practical or emotional support for students if they need it. The majority of residential wardens are trained members of University staff who have many years’ experience in this field. Each warden is supported by a deputy: usually a postgraduate or final-year student. Although we consider each of our students to be a responsible adult, the warden will contact you directly if they feel it is necessary. Each student house is assigned a student tutor – who is non-residential but makes regular visits and is on hand to help with any problems which may arise.

Academic personal supervisor Within their department, each student is also allocated a personal supervisor who is able to offer academic or personal guidance and support. Personal supervisors are assigned once students have registered and met with their departmental staff. Additionally, the union endeavours to meet every welfare need, from sexuality issues to finding a job. Services available within our Student Support Centre include: The Advice Centre – a student version of the Citizens’ Advice Bureau The Student Loans and Hardship Office Disability Services Careers Services Job Exchange The Counselling Service



Last but not least, the Study Advice Centre (located in the Brynmor Jones Library) can help students to hone their academic skills, from revision techniques to grammar and punctuation. Our extensive network of support services ensure that during their time at the University, your son or daughter will always have somewhere to go for any guidance and advice they may need, on academic matters as well as health, disabilities, money, housing … the list is endless. For further information about our students’ union, please see pages 23–30.

Security Security on and around the campus, and the safety of our students, is taken very seriously. The University has 24-hour security and a dedicated team of trained professionals who are always on hand should a difficult situation arise. The whole campus is also monitored by CCTV. In addition, the University has Liaison Police Officers who work closely with our student organisation HUSAC (Hull University Students Against Crime) to address crime prevention on and around campus.

Campus watch The University, in association with Humberside Police, has established a mobile ‘cop shop’ on campus to further enforce security measures for students – helping to instil a strong sense of security and offering all manner of safety advice. Check out for more details.

Please let us know if you have any suggestions for improving this publication: Thank you in advance for your time. We value your feedback.




T 0870 126 2000 E

University of Hull Hull, HU6 7RX, UK

Think Hull  

The University of Hull's Hull Campus student applicant guide for 2011.