Page 211

preconceived beliefs and notions of the diagnoser are essentially believed to be as important as the display of the symptoms themselves. Expanding on this notion and to gauge shared understandings and beliefs of mental health professionals, I have similarly asked within the MHPV questionnaire about the opinions and beliefs of the clinicians with regards to culture, schizophrenia and differences in the displays of symptoms. Migrants so far have been evidenced to have increased in numbers within the patient cohort in London. Diagnosis of first generation Africans and UK born African Caribbeans seem to have been the most pronounced in comparison with other migrant groups as the results have shown. The reasons for that may be multifaceted, but in essence the mental health professionals were asked their opinion on the reason for such trends (if they believed that was the case). 63.3% of the mental health professionals believed that there was a higher chance of being diagnosed with schizophrenia if the patient was a migrant, while the other 36.7 % did not believe so. Black Caribbeans, Black Africans and Mixed Black and White groups were seen to be the most likely to be diagnosed with schizophrenia. The least likely groups were Chinese Asians and Other Mixed groups. Such a finding is worth noting because it uncovers whether self fulfilling prophecies influence diagnosis and care. In other words, when a mental health professional believes that there are more diagnoses of schizophrenia patients amongst Black groups, might that lead to a higher likelihood to more readily diagnose them with schizophrenia in the future? Differences were reported in terms of diagnosis across cultural groups but also in relation to the content of symptoms. 63.1% reported that the content of symptoms of 210

Profile for Huda Shalhoub

DECODING SCHIZOPHRENIA ACROSS CULTURES  

Thesis from Brunnel University, United Kingdom, London

DECODING SCHIZOPHRENIA ACROSS CULTURES  

Thesis from Brunnel University, United Kingdom, London

Advertisement